Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
west_gardener

What would you rather have?

west_gardener
10 years ago

A master plumber that can fix your pipes, but have poor writing skills, or a master in Languages , that don't know anything about fixing pipes, or both?

Comments (7)

• mawheel
    10 years ago

Wg, is this a trick question? If i had to choose, I'd say both; second choice would be the Master plumber with poor writing skills. I could help with the poor writing, but wouldn't be much good at replacing a toilet!

• surya55_gw
    10 years ago

LOL- I'd have to say, I'll happily take the master plumber with poor writing skills any day. My father, bless his heart was a "jack of all trades". In today's world, I think we're missing more of this type of man. I hate waiting around for someone to fix a sink, build a bench or put up a light fixture...

• lilosophie
    10 years ago

I don't have to worry about the plumber's writing skills, so as long as he does his job, I don't care.

• west_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No, it is not a trick question, more like poor writing skills, by me.

It came to mind when I thought about how much time and space it takes to complain about poor writing skills.

I think about a couple of fellows that work on our house. Both were born in "foreign" countries. The came here without knowing much english.
    One got a job with a company that replace old pipes for new pipes. He spent years crawling under houses to replace pipes.
    The other got a job working as a house painter, inside/outside.
    Although they don't know each other, they had the same dream, to become Licensed CA Contractors. They studied and studied and finally they passed the test and have their licenses..Both of them said it was very, very hard work.

I doubt if they will ever learn to speak or write "perfect" English, they may misplace a comma somewhere, but hand them a pipe and a wrench, or a paint brush, they are masters of their trade.

• mawheel
    10 years ago

wg, please know I was not referring to the wording of your question when I asked if it was a "trick" question!

IMO, practical knowledge is much more valuable and important than the ability to know/use correct grammar! I truly wish I had skills to do things--simple ones, mind you--around our house, now that DH can't do them. On top of that, he feels badly b/c he can't do them, and gets upset if/when I try! Oh well, we're grateful for what we have; we know it could be much worse.

With Thanksgiving just a week away, we have MUCH to be thankful for.

• west_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My DH is a very handy man, he has kept our house working for the past 38 years. He is also highly educated, but he is slowing down because of age,That's why I'm looking for "outside" help.
    And mwheel, the day I have to hire an "indoor" handyman, will be a difficult day. I know what you mean.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    10 years ago

I think it would hardly matter being well spoken or written, and really matter quite a bit when plying one's trade. You MUST make money in order to survive. I'm glad they're doing well. Good plumbers are hard to find.

signed,
    master of none

heh