Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
No cuts and bruises!

Posted by janis_g z7GA (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 24, 11 at 21:41

But I may die from smoke inhalation.
Thanksgiving is over and it was a good day but it was not without it's moments.

It all started when I let Paula Deen come to our thanksgiving brunch. I thought it would be impressive if Paula's ***** Baked French Toast with Praline topping put in an appearance.
I could just hear the accolades when my family tasted that wonderful concoction.

I preheated the oven, placed the french toast and the sausage egg breakfast casserole inside.
The Bloody Mary's and Mimosa's were flowing by then so I had a mimosa or two or maybe more. When the timer chimed out that it was time to take the food out of the oven, I grabbed two oven mitts and opened the door. I was not prepared for the smoke that came rolling out of that oven. The toast had spewed forth at least a pound of REAL BUTTER and my oven was swimming in burned butter fat. (Thank you Paula Deen)
We opened all the doors and started flapping dish towels like a bunch of mad hatters. I haven't had an exhaust fan installed yet nor do I own a simple box fan.
I do have an air cleaner and man is that thing worth it's weight in gold. We finally got the kitchen cleared and hopefully by tomorrow the burnt butter smell will be gone.

The French Toast was really wonderful but if Paula gets
invited to my party any more she is going to have to lay
off the Butter or the Mimosa's or maybe both.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: No cuts and bruises!

Shame on me for laughing at the word picture you painted. Paula should guarantee that she will come clean the oven and the air for anyone who uses that recipe. Glad you had a good time and shared a grin.

o

Paula Deen is a she devil. She is out to get you one way or the other with those recipes of her. I think one of the richest desserts I ever made was for a dinner party I had here a couple of year ago. It was a pear bread pudding on top of custard with a bourbon sauce.Just amazing but I suffered the next day and I'm sure everyone else did too. Glad it didn't turn out worse Jan and other than that it sounds like you had a nice Thanksgiving.

o

Janis, I was quite pleased to read your post. Ok, billowing smoke wasn't pleasant but, hey, like you said, no cuts or bruises. A stellar day! Thanks for sharing. Always good to hear from you. Paula Deen does get a bit carried away, and I always thought I was a butter nut. LOL.

Maybe lighten up on the butter, but keep the Mimosa's is my suggestion. Strong suggestion. ;-]

o

Jan, it was so much fun to read your adventure, somehow you are attracting those hilarious situations - well maybe not for those directly involved, but your sense of humor always make them fun to read. I second coconut's suggestion: lighten up on the butter and keep the mimosas, I would.

o

• Posted by gmatx z6 TX Panhandle (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 26, 11 at 13:01

Whew! So glad there were no calls for the first-aid kit. Yep, keep the mimosas, maybe add a margarita or two, sit back and enjoy.

o

I'm glad everything worked out ok. .
I'm smiling at the way you write about the mishap.
A national news co-anchor told about the thanksgiving at her parents house this year.
They also had smoke issues, then when her mother opened a champagne bottle, the cork got away from her and hit her DH in they eye and gave him a black eye. According to the anchor, they usually invite the horse, yes a real live horse, into the house to celebrate with them. Because of all the 'events', they forgot to invite the horse, so there "was no horse in the house" this thanksgiving.
I agree with the others, keep the mimosa, just watch out for the cork. I don't know what to say about the horse in the dining room.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here