Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Think Thanksgiving 1937 was probably the last time

Posted by gandle 4 NE (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 23, 10 at 22:41

that I had squash pie for the dinner. Grandma always made pie from Hubbard squash. It did taste a lot like pumpkin but with our own rich thick cream, hardly needed whipping, it was delicious. Don't know whether or not I can trust my memory but I believe it did taste even better than pumpkin.

Hubbard squash grew to enormous size and were so hard that gandad had to split them with an axe but the flavor of them baked was incomparable. One winter we had so many that grandad even split some and fed them to the milk cows who seemed to really enjoy the chunks of squash. They would contentedly chew them for it seemed like hours.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Think Thanksgiving 1937 was probably the last time

• Posted by lilod NoCal/8 (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 23, 10 at 23:14

I guess Hubbard squash is out of style now? I don't know, are they also called "banana squash"?
It's not a vegetable from my past, I learned about squash after I came to America, but I did adopt it right away, there is no squash I don't like

o

It seems as if our "pumpkin" pies were always made with sweet potatoes. Now, when I taste a real pumpkin pie, I am always disappointed.

I may be mistaken, but I think that down here, the sweet potato pie is the Thanksgiving pie.

o

I remember Hubbard squash from when I was very small. Those things were MUCH bigger than I! And when some was desired for dinner, my dad was sent to the woodshed with an axe to whack off a chunk. We have had such success with butternut squash the last couple of years, I think I may have to try Hubbards, and maybe even make"squash" pies.

o

• Posted by lindac Iowa Z 5/4 (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 25, 10 at 20:16

Squash doesn't taste "pumpkin-ey"...you know like the inside of a Jack-o-lantern.
I have a squash growing friend...I'll have to ask him to grow some hubbards next year. I think they are smoother and taste better than acorn or butternut.

o

Don't think Hubbard squash are out of style, I love them, but they take a long, long growing season which we don't have here.

o

If you ever eat pumpkin pie made from canned pumpkin, you may have eaten Hubbard squash more recently than you realize!
http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/ingredients-pantry/canned-pumpkin-what-is-it-really-made-of-069123

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here