Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilosophie

In the "olden" days ca 1984/85

lilosophie
10 years ago

Times have changed a lot, this picture is of a cattle drive coming down my road, taken right by my property.
J.P. has a ranch way in the back-country and he used to ask the town-people to help him bring his cattle, usually about 200 or so head, down to his winter pasture outside of town.
Everybody who had ever sat on a horse became a Cowboy for two or three days. J.P. furnished all the food and drink - lots varied drinks - all camped in the woods. There were his hired hands, real cowboys along, good thing.
By the time they passed my place they were sort of dragging, dusty and hung-over, but sure did the job. Joann and Ron would ride out and meet them for the last leg of the trip.
Some cowboys made snide remarks about their "Arabian horses" but couldn't really find fault, because the horses did what they had to do, even though Joann rode on an English saddle, she was doing better than some of the couch cowboys :)
There were horses and cow-dogs coming down the road, now there are guys on loud ATV's, followed by pit-bulls.
The cows are now trucked from ranch to feed-lot.
I'm doubting it's an improvement.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!
More Discussions