Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilosophie

Quotes 12/29/14

lilosophie
9 years ago

You are as young as your faith, as old as your doubt; as young as your self-confidence, as old as your fear; as young as your hope, as old as your despair. ~Douglas MacArthur

Inflation is when you pay fifteen dollars for the ten-dollar haircut you used to get for five dollars when you had hair. ~Sam Ewing

I advise you to go on living solely to enrage those who are paying your annuities. It is the only pleasure I have left. ~Voltaire

Ev'ry season hath its pleasures:
Spring may boast her flow'ry prime,
Yet the vineyard's ruby treasures
Brighten autumn's sob'rer time.
So life's year begins and closes;
Days, though short'ning, still can shine;
What, though youth gave loves and roses,
Age still leaves us friends and wine....
Thus may we, as years are flying,
To their flight our pleasures suit,
Nor regret the blossoms dying,
While we still can taste the fruit.
~Thomas Moore, "Spring and Autumn"

Comments (5)

• mawheel
    9 years ago

Great quotes, Lilo; Douglas MacArthur's is full of wisdom; both Sam Ewing's and Voltaire's made me chuckle, and Thomas Moore's poem is timely for us all.

Thanks for them.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    9 years ago

I went to the barber shop this morning. For seniors it cost $16.00.
    Since I don't have much to begin with, I ask for a discount. Nope! When the barbers pick themselves up from the floor after laughing so hard, it is back to work to try to make me look presentable. The barbers spend more time on my eyebrows and ears than the do on the top of my head!

• anneliese_32
    9 years ago

Great quotes and thanks for the grin, I need it today. Just have power for another 15 minutes then it's no electricity and cold house again for a couple of hours. Have major house repair, getting 12 piers under the slap to correct the cracked foundation. Had to board my husband at the next motel for the day and tomorrow. The yard looks like WW I trenches after a shelling.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    9 years ago

Your timing is wonderful! How do you do that? Oh, I know...you practice a lot!

• mawheel
    9 years ago

Anneliese I'm so sorry for your foundation problems. You don't need any added stress, do you?

Our one story villa has a crawl space; we have a pest control tech come quarterly to do the house, attic, perimeter, and inside the crawl space. About four years ago, the tech emerged to tell us that he stepped into a 'hole' along the outside edge. He didn't have any idea of its size or depth, he just knew it wasn't anything good!

We called a home construction/repair company which had done work for us in the past. They couldn't tell us what caused the 'hole', unless it was ground slippage, but it took 40 bags of cement to fill the hole. The small cement mixer was set in our small back yard, just near the entrance to the crawl space. Twelve workmen set up a supply line to pass cement pans filled with mixed cement to the hole, a distance of about 30 feet, not an easy task anyway, but the crawl space is only three feet deep and one has to walk/crawl in a bent-over stance to move around. Fortunately, the hole got filled and--as far as we know--there have not been any more problems.

I truly empathize with you, Anneliese, and you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz
More Discussions