Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Quotes 2/19/13

Posted by lilosophie none (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 19, 13 at 0:18

The whole of life is just like watching a film. Only it's as though you always get in ten minutes after the big picture has started, and no-one will tell you the plot, so you have to work it out all yourself from the clues."
― Terry Pratchett, Moving Pictures

Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving."

Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry."
― Terry Pratchett, Thief of Time

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Quotes 2/19/13

I forgot to attribute the #2 quote, it's also Terry Pratchett - sorry.

o

Terry is one observant person. Right on!

o

Good ones. Love Pratchet..

o

" Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving." He is right about that.
Talking about the mundane here, DH and I get out of our cozy easy chairs, dash to the store, max 1/2 hour, come back with goodies. Plop down in our easy chairs, and say "we're back home". Everything is the same, except we have added something.

o

The second quote reminds me of T.S. Eliot's "The Waste Land," where he says: "We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."

o

• Posted by mwheel East. WV-Z.6 (My Page) on
    Fri, Dec 20, 13 at 9:13

And I just noticed that the date reads "2/19/2013", not "12/19/2013! Talk about being non-observant, or reading what you think will be there.

Quote #3 is 'right-on'; rare is the person who can resist not touching, when the sign says "Don't touch". :>)

o

Human curiosity comes through in all three.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here