Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Quote Sunday December 9

Posted by lilosophie none (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 9, 12 at 0:50

The Earth was small, light blue and so touchingly alone, our home must be defended like a holy relic. The Earth was absolutely round. I believe I never knew what the word round meant until I saw the Earth from space.
Russian cosmonaut Alexey Leonov

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward. every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar", every "supreme leader", every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there - on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Quote Sunday December 9

On a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam--what a beautiful thought.

o

Heavy stuff but good on a Sunday morning. Thank You.

o

• Posted by mwheel East. WV-Z.6 (My Page) on
    Sun, Dec 9, 12 at 10:36

I wish we all could see the earth as the Russian cosmanaut saw it. Perhaps we would realize how precious and fragile it is and do more to "defend" it from our abuse.

Sagan's quote brings home to me how infinitesimal each of us is in the greater scheme of things.

Thanks, Lilo, for the quotes.

o

Thanks, a lot has happened on that little speck, but it is still just a little speck which thinks it is the center of all things.

o

Thanks for the quotes, lilo." Look again at that dot." That's where we humans/living beings live for now, and I'm sure we can figure out how to live on other planets

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here