Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19760412

quotes 12 - 8

User
11 years ago

Man shapes himself through decisions that shape his environment.
Rene Dubos

The most important pathological effects of pollution are extremely delayed and indirect.
Rene Dubos

Civilization exists by geological consent, subject to change without notice.
Will Durant

To say nothing, especially when speaking, is half the art of diplomacy.
Will Durant

Comments (13)

• lilosophie
    11 years ago

Interesting quotes - the last one is not necessarily a bad thing at times, even though it sounds negative.

• lilosophie
    11 years ago

Don, would you like to take a break? If so, I can do next week, weather is good and I'm sure power stays on. Let me know - inbox me on FB if you like

• mawheel
    11 years ago

It seems to me the "geological consent" is definitely beginning to change--and I don't think there's a cotton-picking thing civilazation can do about it!

• west_gardener
    11 years ago

No matter what the " geological consent" and change comes from, we humans have to adapt to the changes.
    Oh yes, the art of saying nothing while speaking can be diplomatic.

• west_gardener
    11 years ago

Well, for those of us who are not of FB, are out out of the loop.

• lilosophie
    11 years ago

West, all I asked was for don to tell me if he wants me to take quotes next week - there is no loop -

• west_gardener
    11 years ago

This is supposed to be a " Discussions " group.

• mawheel
    11 years ago

Oops! I spelled "civilization" wrong; sorry about that.
    WG, I agree, "humans have to adapt", but there's only so much adaptation that can be done, if/when one is facing/enduring the kinds of climatological changes that have been occurring the last few years. And from what I read, see, and hear, they're going to be the "new" normal! I'm not as concernd for myself as I am for our four young great-grandchildren who should still be here in 75 years.

• lilosophie
    11 years ago

Sorry - I had no business to engage in a personal interchange with Don, it all should have been set up outside this post -

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Having a private chat option here would be nice. There is one on FB and I have used it at times wit people from here and other forums on GW to discuss things that would muddle up a thread it off topic stuff. Just for convenience. I really do not like FB all that much since they changed thing around and have even lost stuff that was important to me. The chat is useful though.

• west_gardener
    11 years ago

mwheel , as far as I can see, the only direct threat to us humans and all living things on earth is when our sun burns out, and that is some billions of years away. We humans have some time to figure out how to survive and prosper during the change.

• west_gardener
    11 years ago

I guess I have to adapt to the new reality that FB is the place to be.They sure have a lot more users than GW.

• west_gardener
    11 years ago

There seems to be some conversation about GW&FB on GW.

Here is a link that might be useful: GW&FB

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions