Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Quote 12-31-13

Posted by don_socal socal (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 31, 13 at 1:47

The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead.
Albert Einstein

What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pike

While I thought that I was learning how to live, I have been learning how to die.
Leonardo da Vinci

Suicide is man's way of telling God, 'You can't fire me - I quit.'
Bill Maher

Of all the gods only death does not desire gifts.
Aeschylus

For life and death are one, even as the river and the sea are one.
Khalil Gibran

Death may be the greatest of all human blessings.
Socrates

Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live.
Norman Cousins

When we have lost everything, including hope, life becomes a disgrace, and death a duty.
W. C. Fields

Nothing can happen more beautiful than death.
Walt Whitman

Man is born in a day, and he dies in a day, and the thing is easily over; but to have a sick heart for three-fourths of one's lifetime is simply to have death renewed every morning; and life at that price is not worth living.
Gilbert Parker

Death is a delightful hiding place for weary men.
Herodotus

I think about death a lot, like I think we all do. I don't think of suicide as an option, but as fun. It's an interesting idea that you can control how you go. It's this thing that's looming, and you can control it.
Ryan Gosling

Death, the final, triumphant lover.
Bela Lugosi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Quote 12-31-13

Thank you for all the quotes you gave us this year, Don. Today's selections are outstanding and give me a lot to think about. I hope that you and your family have a happy new year.

o

• Posted by mwheel East. WV-Z.6 (My Page) on
    Tue, Dec 31, 13 at 8:56

These quotes offer a lot to think about on the last day of 2013; I will be glad to see it end. It has been a very stressful year in many ways. Here's hoping for better times in 2014. Thanks, Don, good job, as always.

HAPPYY NEW YEAR, EVERYONE!! Stay well and safe.

o

Today's quotes are so in tune with endings - as far as old age and death are concerned, I wrote a poem about this a while back and want to share it

Old Age

The bible says threescore and change
They say I live on borrowed time
Some depart before they used the allotment
Unused years a gift for those desiring it
Nothing lasts forever
The infrastructure needs repair
Fixing eyes to read with
Teeth to eat with
As long as mind is clear
Sometimes memory needs to be re-booted
I exist in grateful appreciation of the gift
Lilo Ducommun - 2013

o

Great quotes Don and lovely poem Lilo. I too am glad this year's over. It's been one of the toughest for me. May the new year brings us all great health and peace.

Nerry

o

Thanks for the quotes Don, and I'm glad you are back.
Interesting quotes for today, the last day of the year,
Tomorrow is a new year, new month, new day and a new moon.
Bring it on.

Apt poem, lilo

o
Re: Lilo's Poem

Lilo, your poem is beautiful, apt, and right on target!

I, too, have gone well past the "three score years and ten", and my infrastructure is in need of some repair, too. I now have the gait of on 'old lady'! When did that happen? It snuck up on me, but I can still walk, and my mind is clear, even though sometimes the right name, word, or phrase won't pop up on first 'think'. But I know it's there, and if I wait five or ten minutes, there it is!

Again, HAPPY NEW YEAR to everyone!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here