Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Quote for Thursday, December 02, 2010

Posted by mwheel East. WV-Z.6 (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 2, 10 at 6:01

Never love anything that cannot love you back.

--Bruce Williams. American Writer and Talk Radio Host

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Quote for Thursday, December 02, 2010

Can nature, not included maybe your pet, love you back?

o

Don't know for sure about that one. Steve in Baltimore County.

o

Does that mean..will love you back? or has the capability to love you back? what is love? questions questions questions.

o

A rather puzzling quote. I love many things that can't love me back--my home, my car, the outdoors, books. When I considered whether he was talking about a love interest, I tend to agree. As mwoods said, it raises many questions.

o

• Posted by mwheel East. WV-Z.6 (My Page) on
    Thu, Dec 2, 10 at 11:18

The ramifications of this quote puzzled me, too, especially since I pondered putting another one with it, which said, "Things are beautiful, if you love them." --Jean Anouilh. I decided they were perhaps contradictory. I also think the word "love" is used so much in our society that its real meaning is lost. When I watch "Househunters" on HGTV and almost every person says, "I LOVE this room", or "I LOVE the way the light comes in the windows", it becomes a word with lessened meaning, at least, to me.

Believe me, I'm not a philosopher!

o

• Posted by lilod NoCal/8 (My Page) on
    Thu, Dec 2, 10 at 11:28

I love my surroundings - do they love me back? The demand attention and maintenance and effort from me, is that love?
I agree with Mwheel that both "love" and "hate" are words overused

o

Love is expressed by doing more than words, things and situations do for us in different ways than the words we have for each other and we use the inherent purpose of them to our advantage when we want to express our likes and cares. Sending flowers is one example of expressing love, so is taking out the trash, both inanimate but having meaning. The mind is a wonderful adventure.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here