Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
3r3o3b

Journal 1 December 2014

rob333 (zone 7b)
9 years ago

It was my first day back to work since November 14. I really thought I'd get bored, but I never did. I did spend one day taking care of my mom (all her finances are in order! and all the children have access to help her) and one day with company, but mostly, I went through all the pictures (I used to take them incessantly) and put them in albums. Well, part of them anyhow. How sad is it that I was married 11 years and it took me another four years after the marriage was over to put the photos into an album? (grin) I did it for the boy. There is such joy on his parents' faces and all those who love them surrounding them. I want his memories to include that. I have another entire album of just places and animals; another album for the house we remodeled and created gardens; three separate albums for the boy when he was 0-11 months, 12 months, and 13-24 months; and I still have "life before LF". I only got 2/3 done.

Fortunately/unfortunately, now I want to get back to taking photos. I found a program online (I just knew they'd have one! hurray!) and made some digital photos into postcards for my parents. Mom keeps saying I could quit my job with as well as I take photos. I could see a sideline job? It started out warm, and we didn't even wear coats when we left for school and work. LF keeps saying it must be Indian summer? looking for it. It's funny how being older makes you see how ephemeral it all is, as I keep saying in my head, then enjoy it! because it won't last but an instant. Today, we have on coats (and cold boy has on a hat with gloves) with an umbrella. Sounds like autumn in the south ;) It's really 40-60 all day/night long, so I don't know why I even wore a coat?

I am stuck at a crossroads. I want LF to raise his own money for marching band, but I love doing the fund raising, parking cars. I get to talk to people and probably do what a lot of people dream of doing. I get to be like a cop, directing traffic. Coming into an event, that's just fun. They're all there to have a good time, enough to have spent money on it, and I know just where to send them. Although Saturday was my last weekend for university football, it was the most fun! UT played Vandy and they're huge rivals. The streets were filled, the parking lot was filled. Orange tents, pants, flags... and loads of sparkly gold pom poms with black outfits. All kidding with each other. I was waving this car that directions, a line of them that direction, and every once in a while, answering questions. There are always stories to tell at the end of the day, and really, this time, I didn't have any? Just too busy. The police sergeant and I like to imagine life for the rich girls getting out of the car (dropped at the door and not walked in? what are those girls thinking?!!!!) or the little old man who delivers flowers every game day. Oh, last time I parked? There was a strange man with a strange gait about him. I thought, what-the?! As he passed by my co-worker (not the police officer) he was mumbling to her, "Cocaine, cocaine, he knows (pointing at the officer and putting his head down, shaking it), he knows, bust my ____ (another name for a donkey), bust my _____". She burst into laughter. What was that all about? So we joked all day long about how that crazy man was probably jacked up on drugs and worried to death about how the officer was gonna get him. He wasn't there for the game, just passing through, as it's kind of close to downtown. I can't see me quitting, but I am doing all the fund raising. Should I make him do it? It is the principle, after all. But it's so much fun!

Back to the grind, but much more refreshed after resting, cleaning, reminiscing, ready to get to work!

Comments (7)

• mawheel
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Robb, what a delightful way to start the morning! Thanks for sharing with us--your memories, good ones and not so good ones, and your current activities. For several years, I've mentioned how impressed I am with all that you do. Your 'youth' has something to do with it, but it's also your inner strength and commitment.

Now, enough compliments for one day! Get busy! :-)

• lilosophie
    9 years ago

I always enjoy your journals, you are so good observing people and events out in public, you bring it all to life and I can see your anjoyment of it all.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Y'all just make me smile. I hope you had a great holiday and are enjoying life. Journals are my thing, and it's just what I do to keep the forum going.

This one's for you anneliese! Get well and be happy. Hugs to you both.

• west_gardener
    9 years ago

Rob, it sounds like you really enjoy the fundraising aspect and you are good at it.
    And you said "I want LF to raise his own money for marching band, "
    Our children were part of all kinds of activities, and we agreed to support them in fundraising , we did our part and they did their part.
    IMHO, this is a perfect opportunity to teach LF how to fund raise. Teach him everything you know about fundraising.

• anneliese_32
    9 years ago

Thank you robb for the good wishes. My husband is doing better, seems to have no long standing problems, except his feet are back at square one and wishes he could walk better.

Could you go fifty/fifty with your son, he would learn something and you still would enjoy it part of the time.

I enjoy your journal entries. Talking about wedding pictures, it took me 15 years to put them in an album. When I opened it a couple of months ago to show them to my son's SO, the corner stickies which held the pictures in place had deteriorated and all the pictures came flying out . The marriage lasted though.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    9 years ago

After my parents and siblings died, I got all of the family photos. Most were just in boxes. I created a couple of albums of OLD photos (my parents' grandparents, etc.) They are just sitting here and when the missus and I are both gone, they can fight over them (if they want).

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I hope he gets back on his feet, quite literally, soon!

I know I'd end up with all the family pictures. At least on my mom's side. My dad, I'm less certain. He's been scanning some. I hope he's done a lot of them!

The LF (little fella) (not so little any more. He's finally more than 100 pounds, and taller than 5 feet) is not doing anything. Hence, my disappointment. Boo on him! He did make and sell $100 worth of jewelry. He won't even do that anymore. He skipped out on selling discount books (those sell like hotcakes every year), local grocery cards, fruit, candy... all of it. All he has to do is show up with the jewelry, and my friends/family will buy it. The weirdest part of that is, he wanted to start his own "business" with it? He even had a leger he was keeping. He has supplies. He likes to do it. So what gives? Dunno. Haven't overcome that obstacle yet.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions