Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jim_1

January thaw

jim_1 (Zone 5B)
9 years ago

For generations, most winters in Illinois provide a bit of relief from the cold in January. The January thaw allowed snow/ice to go away so that new stuff can cover the same area.

This year, our winter-like weather began last month instead of this month. There have been many days when we were not above freezing. Today, it was 46 when I got up. Misty fog is making the pavement and sidewalks slippery.

When it got so cold so quickly last month, many of the leaves of some trees froze in place. It was strange to see trees that are usually bare this time of year to have most of the leaves still on the trees. Those leaves were brown and brittle. Now that we are in the January thaw (about one month early), those leaves are tumbling from the trees like crazy.

My clean yard is now a mess! I will guess that we will now get snow and all the leaves will be covered and when all is cleared off, I will have a rotten leaf mess on the grass.

My solution? Go on a cruise. We are leaving January 1 for 21 days in the Caribbean.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts
More Discussions