Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jim_1

South Pacific

jim_1 (Zone 5B)
9 years ago

A few years ago, I got the itch. I get it every once in a while. My travel agent knows that when I get the itch she will make some money. I had been looking at cruises and found a great one. We would sail from San Diego to Hawaii to French Polynesia and back to San Diego. 28 days!

I talked with the missus and she said that it sounded good! OK!

Only problem was that I did not like the idea of going back to work after that long. So I decided to retire. The missus agreed and she would retire at the same time. This 28-day trip would be our retirement cruise. The entire month of February (plus a few days in San Diego before the cruise).

Thus, the sun rise in San Diego on February 1.

Comments (11)

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You have seen Hawaii, so I will skip that part of the cruise. Our port of call after that was Fanning Island. We crossed the International Date Line and made our approach. Oops! Too windy.

Fanning Island is just a simple atoll and we would not have a pier to tie to, only dropping anchor. Too much wind! Shucks.

On to French Polynesia, re-crossing the date line.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And we crossed the equator. Unfortunately, I forgot to be in my cabin and see the water going down the drain in a different direction. The waters near the equator were just like this.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Our first sighting of Bora Bora. We will be here overnight. The port is too small for a large ship, so we will anchor in the bay and use the ship's tenders.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I do not know the cost to rent one of these, I imagine it is more per day than what we are paying for the same on our cruise.

This was not a cheap cruise (my favorite kind) because it is in the middle of winter and lots of folks want to get away into the warmer weather. There a many Canadians on Holland America's Statendam.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A different kind of resort on Bora Bora. Once you get to the island, there are not lots and lots of things to do. Being in the water is the primary activity. There are no large stores, we went into a grocery and it was smaller than our house.

Tourism is the primary thing in Bora Bora and almost everything there is geared toward the tourists.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is part of the town of Vaitape where our tenders will discharge passengers. The town is spread out around the bay.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

As you can see, this is not a bustling city. That is a private home on the hill in Bora Bora.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

As you might expect, Bora Bora has its origins from volcanic activity. This is Mount Otemanu, one of the two high points on the island (about 2400 feet). Seeing something like this, in the warm air makes one easily decide that the South Pacific is just about what one imagines.

• lilosophie
    9 years ago

Thank you for the tour, your timing is excellent - it's in the low twenties, the roofs are white with frost and my fire is reluctant to get going, so the furnace is sucking up propane - hope the rest of the day will go better than the beginning.

• anneliese_32
    9 years ago

Well, I learned something new! I always thought that geography was one of my strong subjects, but Fanning Island had me stumped. So now I know and it was fun to dig for it. Of course I was sidetracked a couple of times, but that is part of the fun. Thanks Jim.

• west_gardener
    9 years ago

The South Pacific sounds mighty good today. Brrr in the morning, brrr in the evening and brrr all day long.

Sponsored
More Discussions