Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oh yes I do

Posted by oscarthecat z7MD (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 7, 10 at 10:13

remember Dec 7, 1941. We were living in a two room house and garage on the south east corner of 4th and Robert St. My Dad was building us a new home there. He and I were working inside that when my Mom came out and said, Come listen to the radio the Japs have bombed Pearl Harbor. We went inside and listened for awhile then Dad put on his nail apron and we got back to work. Not that my Dad was an unfeeling man but he knew there was nothing he could do about Pearl Harbor and he had a house to build. Steve in Baltimore County.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oh yes I do

That changed things forever didn't it. Nothing would ever be the same.

o

I was eleven years old at the time and we were visiting friends--a usual Sunday afternoon pasttime. I remember feeling frightened and also excited, frightened b/c of my parents' serious words and faces, and excited b/c it was all so new and different.

o

Even though I was on the other side of the Atlantic and opposite side of the war, I remember when on our radio the short theme music for "Sondermeldung (special anouncement)" interrupted the program. It shifted the whole power structure of the world.

o

I was all snuggly in my mother's womb on that date but am sure on some level must have felt the tension and shock of it all.My very first memory was of the day the war was over,I got knocked off my tricycle by some woman running down the street screaming. Will we ever learn?

o

• Posted by lilod NoCal/8 (My Page) on
    Tue, Dec 7, 10 at 16:48

Just like Anneliese, I was on the "other side" and I remember that there were rumors that Hitler was not pleased with the Japanese's actions, he was not in favor of involving the US in the war and had plans for the Japanese to invade Russia from the Asian side. Of course, they were rumors, but in some way it makes sense...

o

I have no direct personal experience of this date, I was too young. But I'm glad that the US decided to take action and stop WW11.

o

Gandle, I agree with that. Steve S.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here