Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The short life of new appliances

Posted by meldy_nva z6b VA (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 31, 13 at 11:01

Just read CR's latest article on appliances... the story was about *when* to repair, but what caught my attention was that the age of don't-bother-to-repair-just-replace seemed to be mostly at 4 to 6 years. Okay, I do understand that great advances have (finally) been made, and new models are more energy efficient and sometimes even better for the environment. But better for the wallet? My old refrigerator uses about $65 of electricity a year and cost about $300 --- 25+ years ago. Ditto the freezer (using about $125 yearly). New models of comparable size and freezer area each will (maybe) use about $25 electricity a year but will cost over $1,000 (going considerably down in storage area could shrink the cost to about $700 each). Those might be fair trade-ups, but not if one has to seriously face replacement in just a few years.

I think I'm going to have a talk with the old refrigerator and freezer... maybe I can convince them to keep on working for another decade or two.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The short life of new appliances

I am soo agreeing with you, my dishwasher is 28 years old, it stil chugs along and keeps the dishes clean, Refrigerator is 13 years old, needed one major repair @ $200.00+ a couple years ago and I
was better off repairing than replacing it - a new one of the same outside dimensions would have much less storage area because of the thicker insulation,which makes it more energy efficient.
At my age and income, I just hope they will be with me until I go

o
RE: The short life of new appliances

My old washer is still chugging along.

The other night I had a dream that I was in a store, checking out washers and driers. I opened the lid to a top loader and saw a "like" button in the bottom of the tub. I started to push it, but I woke up before I reach it. Lol, I'm on my computer too much,

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here