Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
3r3o3b

Fibonacci numbers

rob333 (zone 7b)
13 years ago

LF confessed to me the other day, when he was a might bit younger, when he heard his classmate say he was writing down Fibonacci numbers, that he [LF] was just sure it was a formula for lying. Thought the math "geeks" over here would get a giggle out of that! He does know better now after I showed him the significance visually.

Comments (11)

• endorphinjunkie
    13 years ago

Fibanacci sequences are incredibly beautiful. One can see them in certain seashells and also in how a galaxy rotates.

It's one of the essence of the universal that is seen at all levels, micro- and macroscopic.

And by the way, mathemagicians are not all that geeky. One must be tough to be a mathemagician, and admit to it.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Not just gorgeously beautiful in nature, how we as humans emulate it knowingly or not. It amazes me how people try to claim this whole thing is an accident, there is so much purpose in it all. Essence is right.

I love all [math] geeks including you Michael (my work is full of them. Scientists who use math to quantify heart disease). My son is a total geek, not just math. Science, math, history, he loves it all. Heck, I'm geeky too, how else could I have devined he heard "fib" "oh not" "ye" in all that? (((big grin)))

• Lisa_H OK
    13 years ago

Rob, I have to confess, I had NO clue what that was, so I googled it :)

Lisa
    oh-so-not-a-geek

:)

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Really cool humanly created fibonacci sequence at the bottom.

It's seen in architechture, paintings, scarves, pinecones, sunflowers, romanesco cauliflower, faces... it's everywhere!

Here is a link that might be useful: circular photo collage

• tibs
    13 years ago

Another non math person here. I looked it up and got a headache immediately after I exclaimed cool! This is almost as bad as when I found out there are more than one kind of geometry. As in something besides Euclid.

• west_gardener
    13 years ago

Kudos to you Rob, as a parent,that when LF brought this issue to your attention, you took proactive action and introduced him to the RL possibilities.

• endorphinjunkie
    13 years ago

One of our favourite fabonacci patterns that is found in nature. Love the alternating pattern.

{{gwi:202855}}

• mwoods
    13 years ago

These are more beautiful than fractals,which always amaze me.Now I'm going to looking for fabonacci patterns everywhere I go.

• anneliese_32
    13 years ago

As another non-math person, I see the pattern but the math behind it escapes me.

• User
    13 years ago

Plants and trees are beautiful to the eye when they appear balanced. Balance in the plant world follows fibonacci patterns. Planting three trees in a group is more balanced to the eye than two or four. Bonsai teaches placement of branches in spirals and vertical spacing. A good tree trimming job looks like a good haircut as in pleasing to the eye and following the order of the natural growth, something was done but it looks as though it grew that way naturally. This link shows the interconnection of nature and fibonacci patterns, the rest of her site is interesting also.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fibonacci numbers in nature

• west_gardener
    13 years ago

Don_social, I also think of the Fibonacci numbers as balance. Nature knows how to give balance, I have to work at it. I made a scarf with a mathematical straight sequence, I then made a hat (circular), yet I used a straight math sequence. I luv the site you posted, a very good example of nature's way. I'll keep striving for balance.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths
More Discussions