Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jim_1

Hawaii pictures last

jim_1 (Zone 5B)
9 years ago

The Hawaii Tropical Botanical Garden is in Papakou on the Island of Hawaii. This was one place that I wanted to visit. I am glad I did. There is a nice visitor center with lots of neat things to see.

Comments (12)

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The garden is steep with many stairs. However, those with difficulty managing the stair, they offer a ride to the bottom that goes on the maintenance path.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We took lots of pictures. However, we did not write the names as we took them. Each is identified and I have a book that covers the flowers of Hawaii. However, many of the plants in the garden are from other places in the tropics.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is one that I cannot identify. It is a beautiful flower.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There were many orchids in the gardens. However, I will share some of the other flowering plants.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What a tangled mess this is.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

From a sign at this point:

The Legend of Twin Rocks
    The village of Kahali'i was located on this large point of land which extends into Onomea Bay. Though the village is the gone, the descendants of Kahali'i still remember some of legends concerning the area's landmarks. One story tells of the origin of two rock formations at the head of the Onomea Bay that are said to a young man and woman, known as the lovers of Kahali'i.
    Legend has it that one day, a chief of the village spotted many canoes with sails heading shoreward in their direction. Fearing an attack, the chiefs and village elders held a council to determine a course of action. They decided to build a reef to prevent a landing on their beaches. Not having the means to complete the task quickly enough, they asked for two young lovers to be the guides and protectors of the village by giving their lives. Two willing individuals were found.
    That night a decree was sent to all who lived at Kahali'i to remain indoors from sunset to sunrise without making any light or sound, on a penalty of death. In the light of the new day, everyone went down to the shoreline where they were amazed to find the lovers gone, and in their place two gigantic rock formations at the entrance of the bay, attached to each others, as if on guard.
    The chief informed the people that no canoe could now pass the treacherous currents swirling around the rocks unless allowed to do so by the guardians. The lovers and their offspring still stand today, sentinels at the head of the bay.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I forgot to do this one previously. The missus insisted that we go to the north shore of Oahu. So we did.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another north shore of Oahu photo.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'll leave you as we left Hawaii, viewing the setting sun. This is from Honolulu.

• west_gardener
    9 years ago

Jim, thanks for the photos, they are beautiful.
    The first time we went to Hawaii, we stayed at Dell Web's hotel on the North Shore. The North Shore is beautiful, but much more wild and crabby than Waikiki.
    We rented a car and drove to Waikiki beach, on the way we stopped at a water fall and a diving spot in the jungle. It started to rain, and we hid under some huge ferns for rain cover.
    I also remember that one of the maids in our hotel brought us a coconut from her own garden, because she wanted to share. We offered to pay, but she said no.
    I admire you for your photos and your narratives.
    Thanks.

• anneliese_32
    9 years ago

What a beautiful journey. A thank you to your wife for the insistence to see the north shore because oit is not the stereotype picture of Hawaii

Thanks for taking us along on your travels..

• west_gardener
    9 years ago

Below is a pic of a Post Card of the place we stayed on the North Shore. It was beautiful, but the weather and the ocean was changing all the time. One minute it was sunny and the ocean was calm, then out of nowhere the sky opened and the waves were crashing on the rocks.
    If you run your cursor over the pic, you can see more details.

Here is a link that might be useful: North Shore