Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jim_1

Hawaii picture part 4

jim_1 (Zone 5B)
9 years ago

On the trip in 2009, we managed to get near the summit of two volcanoes in Hawaii.

This is Haleakalala, about 10,000 feet above sea level. Our drive had many switchbacks and there were several spots to pull off so one could do some hiking.

This shows part of this shield volcano's crater; it has erupted 3 times in the past 900 years.

Comments (13)

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another view with fewer clouds.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is the summit of Haleakalala, which translates into House of the Sun.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Some of the lava from a long time ago.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Above the clouds (cumulus) and beneath the clouds (cirrus) on this chilly day.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We also went up to Mauna Kea, a dormant volcano. Above sea level, it measures 13,000+ feet. However, if you measure from the ocean floor (as many folks like to do), this Mauna Kea is the tallest in the world.

Mauna Kea translates to White Mountain. It definitely snows in Hawaii. I believe this to be a shrine, as the natives considered this a sacred mountain.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And then they really got upset when scientists began building telescopes. Currently, there are 13 of them on Maura Kea. As Hawaii has very little smoke-stack industries, the air is exceptionally clear.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We stepped inside the William Keck observatory. Not much to really see. However, I noted that color defines the purpose of much of it.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A view from Mauna Kea. Due to its altitude, it is strongly encouraged that visitors take a break on the ascent to partially acclimatize their bodies. We did. Having lived in Santa Fe for several years (7,000 feet), it was not too difficult for us. However, a couple of people in our group had to sit in the van as walking around strained their breathing. Also, the wind blows and it is cool.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

If you look back a couple of photos, you will see that the land is barren. The photo above shows more green.

This is Silversword, and it is endangered. This one had bloomed, I saw others that did not appear to be as raggedy.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

More Silversword.

If you go to Hawaii, you might be tempted to go to Mauna Loa, which is still active. Many, many tourists go there. They also take helicopter excursions over Hawaii's Volcanoes National Park.

If you want a bit of a break from the crowds, consider either of these volcanoes. Each volcano is different. Mt. Etna, Mt. Teide, the Pitons in St. Lucia, Diamond Head and these. We found i them fascinating.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I almost forgot this one. This is a view of Mauna Kea from our ship as we neared the harbor in Hilo. If you look close, you can see some of the observatories at the summit.

• west_gardener
    9 years ago

Excellent photos and narratives of the volcanoes and the other information surrounding them.
    Hit just the right spot, Jim.
    Thanks

• anneliese_32
    9 years ago

I find volcanos fascinating. Seems almost impossible that the stark upper region is the reason that the lower altitude has such a lush and abundant vegitation.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations
More Discussions