Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oscarthecat_gw

I filled my

oscarthecat
12 years ago

gas tank this morning. $64.17. TV says average family spends 8.4% of income on gasoline. This is getting serious. Steve in Baltimore County.

Comments (11)

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    12 years ago

What in the heck do you drive?! My car holds, maybe, $33 when empty to get to full. And lasts me a week and half. Wow. I do remember when it was $16 a week.

• mawheel
    12 years ago

Wow! Steve, that was some gas bill! I try not to let our tank get below half full, so the cost doesn't seem quite as outrageous as if I had to get a full tank. Gas in Hagerstown, MD at the local Martin's (Giant) store was $3.13, yesterday. That's still way too high, but better than the $3.69 it was a month ago!

• lilosophie
    12 years ago

Gas here is still close to $4.00 gal. In November Ron had to have another series of radiation, each week-day for two weeks, it's a 100 mile round-trip, his car had good mileage @ 30 miles per gal - can you imagine the expense? Joann called the Cancer Society and they did chip in on the expense, I think it was 30 cents per mile or so, it really helped.

• frogged
    12 years ago

Here after converting from liters to U.S gallons we are 4.27 and thats cheap was $4.80 and last summer even more My truck is $40 - 50 for around half a tank give or take this is about a weeks drive, filling it up would be between $100 to 120 not sure never tried to fill it.

• gandle
    12 years ago

Just filled about an hour ago. $2.99 a gallon. That was 10% ethanol. Regular was $3.05

• meldy_nva
    12 years ago

Yesterday it was $3.25 gal. Last month it was $3.69 [and more] gal almost everywhere else local. I fill up about once a month, usually a skimpy half-tank, $25. Remnant from a old car with a non-trustworthy gauge - I get nervous whenever the gauge gets close to half. DH's pickup holds 32 (or is it 36?) gallons, I don't think he's filled it all the way since gas went over $3 gal. He used the truck a lot in October, hauling in free wood; the gasoline bill came and he commented that the wood wasn't so free - $350 instead of the $30 it usually totals. OTOH, he bought the gas while in the mountains so it was about 50 cents per gallon cheaper than down here.

• calliope
    12 years ago

I won't say what I used to say.........'get a horse'. You can't believe how much horsefeed costs now. LOL.

• west_gardener
    12 years ago

Lol, I'll say " get a bike", using it burns all kinds of fat, old fat, new fat and once it is paid for it's a free ride.
    DH and I were so fed up with the high cost of gas that we bought a couple of new bikes a few years ago and we use them to go on short shopping trips. We also use them for exercise by riding around the neighborhood.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    12 years ago

I use the bicycle for exercise, but to ride it in town to get to work and school isn't feasible (traffic is horrendous! and bike lanes are minimal). PHOOEY! For my son to ride the bus, he can get an unlimited for the entire month, as many transfers as he wants-$60 pass. I use $75-100 each month in gas, so the price break isn't worth it. This is as cheap as it gets for us. Housing, now that's another story. Oy.

• calliope
    12 years ago

We moved back to this area during my senior year in public school. At that time, there were no school buses in the city school system. The grade and junior high schools were numerous enough, all students were expected to walk to them. There were some rural high schools, but not in all areas, therefore some school buses did come in to town. But we only had one high school in the town, and it was too far for kids in the outlaying areas who were in the city school system to walk.

Looking back on it, the solution the city used was pretty inspired. Robin's comment made me remember. We could ride the city bus for the reduced rate of 25 cents each way. There was no 'adult' representative of the school to nanny us, as there was the assumption if we were old enough to be in high school, we were old enough to know how to behave in a public situation.

The local city bus system got their seats filled and an economic boost, and the school system was spared the expense of buying vehicles and employing drivers. The public transit system in the town is now a ghost of it's former size. It used to run buses to all parts of the city every fifteen minutes with a hub to transfer downtown. Now much of their fleet of full sized buses have been replaced with small vans and one has to often call and schedule a pick up. I think evening service is non-existant. I live in a rural area where the high school kids are bussed to a county school and guess I'll have to see how city kids handle it now. I think as of a couple years ago, all the city schools have been replaced with one central school for each of the three divisions. Nobody walks because it's too far. Many of the buses drive nearly empty because of parental pick ups. These trends developed in the days of cheap gas. Wonder if they'll change as fuel continues to get more expensive?

• User
    12 years ago

$3.37 down from $3.97 a few weeks ago.