Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meldy_nva

How does one meet a nice young man?

meldy_nva
12 years ago

I find I know generalities, but no specifics ~ this is a subject that hasn't interested me for 40 years +/-, lol. But a sweet young woman I know asked me the title question, and I just blanked on having any suggestions beyond joining a club [which ones where? I dunno] and doing volunteer work.

She's very intelligent, nice-looking but not a beauty; quiet and somewhat shy; a pharmicist [but with many doctors in her family, doesn't really want to get involved with others]; has a good sense of humor, and once she joins in, is a good conversationalist.

Any suggestions for where to meet a similar personality?

Comments (8)

• petaloid
    12 years ago

I agree with your advice to join a club focused on her hobby, or join a volunteer group to find someone with common interests.

Also, a friend who knows a nice young man personally could introduce her. Then it wouldn't be a stranger.

• agnespuffin
    12 years ago

I met mine at a Young Peoples Church function.

• calliope
    12 years ago

I know she's well educated, but taking a course at a local college just for the joy of it is one way. I drop back in school every once in awhile to take a course I really am interested in, but couldn't take when I was going there full time toward a degree. So many young people are going back to school to get an edge on the changing job market. I'm talking adults of all ages, they make up about half the class at our local branches.

Do something for fun where there is an abundance of men. Flying lessons. Learn to bowl. Join a bicycling group. Take up golf or go to a gym. The upside is lots of good exercise as a fringe benefit.

Run for a local office or school board. It's the networking and exposure with other young, vibrant people on a repeated basis. Doing things you sincerely enjoy (or might enjoy) doing.

• oscarthecat
    12 years ago

Church singles group. Steve in Baltimore County

• gagreenman
    12 years ago

A lot of colleges offer continuing education classes on everything from gardening to managment to dancing. I met a very nice lady in a cake decorating class at the local technical college.

Dave

• tibs
    12 years ago

How come it always seems when I know a nice young man, I don't know of any nice young women? No, that came out wrong. I don't know of any nice young women looking for a boyfriend and vice versa. Wish you weren't so far away - I work with this very nice young man....Whom we (her mom and I) are going to introduce in a casual way to her daughter. Both of them have come off long term relationships that went south.

Another friend said her son met a girl on one of those on-line dating sites. It seems to be working. She is about 4 hours away.

• meldy_nva
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ahhh, classes! That's what I trying to remember!

I know she doesn't do the club scene, and her religious affiliation doesn't seem to provide any suitable group assemblies. I'm not sure what hobbies would apply. She's very quiet until she gets to know you, and that translates into apparent shyness when in groups of unknown people, but maybe my DD could join something and get her involved.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

• antiqueorchid
    12 years ago

I met my husband on an online christian dating website. We have been together for 10 yrs now. emailing at first, talking on the phone, and then eventually meeting.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions