Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How does one meet a nice young man?

Posted by meldy_nva z6b VA (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 27, 11 at 12:20

I find I know generalities, but no specifics ~ this is a subject that hasn't interested me for 40 years +/-, lol. But a sweet young woman I know asked me the title question, and I just blanked on having any suggestions beyond joining a club [which ones where? I dunno] and doing volunteer work.

She's very intelligent, nice-looking but not a beauty; quiet and somewhat shy; a pharmicist [but with many doctors in her family, doesn't really want to get involved with others]; has a good sense of humor, and once she joins in, is a good conversationalist.

Any suggestions for where to meet a similar personality?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How does one meet a nice young man?

I agree with your advice to join a club focused on her hobby, or join a volunteer group to find someone with common interests.

Also, a friend who knows a nice young man personally could introduce her. Then it wouldn't be a stranger.

o

I met mine at a Young Peoples Church function.

o

I know she's well educated, but taking a course at a local college just for the joy of it is one way. I drop back in school every once in awhile to take a course I really am interested in, but couldn't take when I was going there full time toward a degree. So many young people are going back to school to get an edge on the changing job market. I'm talking adults of all ages, they make up about half the class at our local branches.

Do something for fun where there is an abundance of men. Flying lessons. Learn to bowl. Join a bicycling group. Take up golf or go to a gym. The upside is lots of good exercise as a fringe benefit.

Run for a local office or school board. It's the networking and exposure with other young, vibrant people on a repeated basis. Doing things you sincerely enjoy (or might enjoy) doing.

o

Church singles group. Steve in Baltimore County

o

A lot of colleges offer continuing education classes on everything from gardening to managment to dancing. I met a very nice lady in a cake decorating class at the local technical college.

Dave

o

• Posted by tibs 5/6 OH (My Page) on
    Wed, Dec 28, 11 at 19:22

How come it always seems when I know a nice young man, I don't know of any nice young women? No, that came out wrong. I don't know of any nice young women looking for a boyfriend and vice versa. Wish you weren't so far away - I work with this very nice young man....Whom we (her mom and I) are going to introduce in a casual way to her daughter. Both of them have come off long term relationships that went south.

Another friend said her son met a girl on one of those on-line dating sites. It seems to be working. She is about 4 hours away.

o

Ahhh, classes! That's what I trying to remember!

I know she doesn't do the club scene, and her religious affiliation doesn't seem to provide any suitable group assemblies. I'm not sure what hobbies would apply. She's very quiet until she gets to know you, and that translates into apparent shyness when in groups of unknown people, but maybe my DD could join something and get her involved.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

o

I met my husband on an online christian dating website. We have been together for 10 yrs now. emailing at first, talking on the phone, and then eventually meeting.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here