Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jim_1

A long cruise - almost home - part 2

jim_1 (Zone 5B)
9 years ago

Half Moon Cay is Holland America's Private Island. The permanent cruise line employees ride boats from other places in the Bahamas whenever there is a ship there. Otherwise, no one lives there.

Many options on shore. These folks elected to pay for a ride around the island. I walked the entire thing in the past in less than one hour. Go figure.

Comments (8)

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Besides the cabanas, one can rent one of these toys. I took this photo mid-afternoon. No one was using them! Catamarans and small sail boats are also available.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Or, one can spend money on trinkets and souvenirs. There are probably 10 shops. Of course there are many items with the Holland America logo, plus locally produced items.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I ate my mid-day meal on the ship and then came on shore. Others got on dry land early and went through the buffet line at the Tropics Restaurant. When I took this, they were tearing down the line, although there were still a few browsers.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There were several of these shelters that were available for eating lunch.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I do not understand this. Maybe I am too old. I did not see anyone actually using that spray thing. You are already wet if you went out that far to get wet!

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It is getting later and we are scheduled to leave at 4:00. The crowds are thinning and making their way back to our ship, the Maasdam (in the background).

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There were about 1200 passengers, plus crew members on the Maasdam. Less than a couple hundred crew members went ashore, either to work or relax. I figure only have the passengers went ashore. The tenders can hold only 90 on each trip, that means they need to make several trips. Only one space available, that means lines waiting to get on board.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tomorrow morning, we will be back in Ft. Lauderdale. The first passengers will be allowed to get off about 8:00; last ones about 10:45. One has to claim bags on the pier and then get through customs. Transfers to the airport can be via taxi or a ship's big bus. If you take a cab, it is about 15 minutes and less than $20; if you take the ship's transfer, you have to wait for the bus to be full and the luggage loaded and it costs $35 per person.

We rented a car to drive back to Illinois taking three days (into a horrible ice storm - welcome home!)

A 42-day adventure (all of our cruises have been adventures) is ending. We have made many friends, both through Cruise Critic and just by meeting folks. It was a wonderful cruise.

How much? OK. We had a simple cabin with a window, on a lower deck and the cost for both of us for the cruise was about $9,200 total. Add on the rental car, the hotel before we sailed and lots and lots of wine and other souvenirs.

It was great! Our best cruise ever!

Next post will have some photos of odds and ends.

Jim

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living
More Discussions