Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gandle

I'm sure that we will pay for this

gandle
13 years ago

We have had wonderful fall weather. Only snowed twice and didn't even have to clear the walks and drive. Snow melted in a few hours. Today the temperature must be close to 50 so the cat and I went for a walk on 3 sides of the block we live on. One side doesn't have a sidewalk. Didn't even have to wear a jacket, light wind and sunny. Oh, we will probably pay for this in April or may with a couple of feet of snow and sub-zero temps.

Fellow on the block just north of us was working on what to me looks like an if not antique then very old motorcycle. He gets it started and it sounds like a demented corn popper, shuts it off and tinkers some more. Still sounds like a demented corn popper. Never seen him ride it, just tinker with it.

Strayed off my original topic as usual. Know that over the country weather has been rough but not here.

Last year we had 35 inches of snow in October and it never really let up all winter. Sowblower really got a work out, not this year.

Enough

Comments (4)

• lilod
    13 years ago

Maybe we all get rewarded for suffering unusual and rough weather in the past two years or so.
    My neck of the woods had only half the usual rainfall, and it came down much as snow, and it was unusually cold, in the low twenties and sometimes in the middle teens.
    We are not equipped for that, it had been difficult.
    This season we have much rain, appreciated rain, and temps rarely go lower than thirties, nice.
    Of course, we may get clobbered in January/February, but at least so far there is a lot of rain.

• batyabeth
    13 years ago

We're paying for it now..........last week we were hit with the worst forest fire in generations, with 42 dead and an ecological disaster, as we'd had no rain from last Easter to this morning. The entire Carmel forest was mostly destroyed, and our firefighters have been been politically ignored and under-equipped for decades. Now, of course, it's pouring, and the deep ash on the mountain will either turn into mudslides or not, and the forest will take around 50 years to recover. It's literally feast or famine here regarding water, and the price is one of our only real natural wild places. Homes wipes out, whole communities scorched; this was a bad one, folks. I'm not sure if this hit the international news or not, but we in Haifa are still in shock, and not really sure what the longer-term ramifications will be. For sure, though, we mourn 42, and what is estimated to be 5 million trees. The animal reserve was saved, however, through quick thinking and pure luck, the rest is gone. As bad as this was, I wish all our disasters were "natural"!
    Peace, and happy sledding, Batya

• lilod
    13 years ago

Batya, I feel your pain! California is fire-prone and we had such ad ones. The devastation is indescribable. Nature will see to it that recovery comes, but the loss of lives and homes can never be reversed.
    Peace back to you and as much water as possible
    Lilo

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    13 years ago

When I read this, I immediately thought, so we'll have nice balmy weather in a couple of days?! Hurray! And sure enough, was out wearing short sleeves and an incredibly light jacket on Saturday. Come Sunday, we were bracing for not only cold, but snow the likes of which we are unaccustomed... we paid for it immediately! Hope you get yours over with post-haste.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions