Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gandle

It was a minus 12 degrees

gandle
11 years ago

when we went to physical therapy this A.M. Not quite warmed up 3 hourss later. Feel sorry for the animals that don't have good shelter. If it stays that cold this evening Leone is going to do soap bubbles. I'll watch from the patio door. I'm not going out in that cold.

Comments (11)

• gabriell_gw
    11 years ago

I can't imagine that much cold,can't imagine. It's been 27 here today.I've left warm house, only to go to driveway for newspapers.

• west_gardener
    11 years ago

Oh my, that's cold. It's been rainy and "cold" here , 33 low, 56 high, and I have been complaining about the weather. I don't have anything to complain about.
    What bubbles? Sounds interesting.

• mawheel
    11 years ago

It's just above freezing here, but we got 6" of snow, today, and now it's "sleety" and everything is getting icy. It's pretty messy and dangerous, too.

Minus 12 is a little too cold, even for a cold weather fan like me. Tell Leone to be careful, if she goes out to blow bubbles.

• west_gardener
    11 years ago

Posted by janis_g z7GA (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 20, 11 at 22:56

Lord luv a duck, George.
    Leave to you to grow and consume something I've never heard of or tasted.
    If I run across it in the super market I'll buy it and figure out what to do with it once I get it home.
    You and Leone sure keep me on my toes.
    Only you could have a southern girl like me stand out on
    the deck in the middle of a cold winter's night blowing bubbles just to see if they will freeze.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    11 years ago

I thought of bubbles when I saw the title. I, like Janis thought last year, how amazing bubbles freezing. We are Southern girls! I'll always remember that bubbles can freeze and think fondly of George and Leone who spent their anniversary outside in that weather!

• User
    11 years ago

I remember those temperatures from next door in Iowa, they were painful and required lots of layers to navigate. Dry is another result of that cold, the air takes the moisture from whatever is exposed. Wonder what the chemical description of frozen bubbles would be.

• meldy_nva
    11 years ago

I shiver at the thought of *anything* below 0*. Phht, I'm shivering anyhow and it's all of 36 outside. With a gentle 40 mph breeze, so it feels colder but nowhere near zero. The farther upwards from zero it is, the happier I am.

Don ~ why would the chemical description be different from unfrozen bubbles? H2O is H2O whether frozen or liquid, glycerin is glycerin, etc.

• User
    11 years ago

Hot water plus soap cleans better because the chemicals that make up the soap combine molecules better when warmer. The opposite is when they are colder and the chemicals separate or coagulate. Harder to mix soap with icy water hence soap bubbles act differently in colder temperatures. Our George and Leone are ground breaking scientists and have fun doing it.

Here is a link that might be useful: How Does Temperature Affect the Rate of Chemical Reactions?

• west_gardener
    11 years ago

This may go off topic of
    bubbles, but it's on topic of " How Does Temperature Affect the Rate of Chemical Reactions?" We've had the first day of dry, sunny and warm day in a long time. I feel happy being in the sunshine, the neighbors are out doing their thing, walking their dogs, trying out a new GPS, gardening and planting bulbs.
    The sun and temps make a difference in our lives.

• meldy_nva
    11 years ago

Don~ I looked up 'effects of low temperatures on soap bubbles'; wikipedia's was non-technical but interesting.

Gandle~ add a bit of sugar to the solution?

Personally, I hope to never be near air of low enough temperature to freeze bubbles.

• Lamora
    11 years ago

ok, going to have to try that 'bubble' thing, sounds fun to do in the cold. And now, thanks, 20F doesn't sound so cold anymore~ ;) Seems like the only who loves it is the silly DOG!! Lab x, so she would love the cold.... go figure.

Marjie

Sponsored
More Discussions