Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Son's theory

Posted by gandle 4 NE (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 26, 11 at 15:01

We were at DIL's family yesterday and a couple on their side sold their trucking business and bought a section in the north canyon country. They, mostly she, are raising aand breakung horses and training them for sale. They also have miniature horses to sell and are breeding them. Fearing attacks from coyotes on the miniatures they have a large male llama in the pasture with them. Sons theory on why the llamas are effective for coyote control is_the coyote comes loping down the road, sees the coyote, stops and stares and thinks, what in he!! is that and get run over by a car.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Son's theory

Llamas, when you don'texpect to see one, sure can startle you. A friend of my husbands from his army days raised until last year miniature horses too.
The first time we visited there, I of course had to look for the horses first and did a double take when a big llama came gallumping in attack mode towards me on a foggy day. Took a quick retreat over the fence.

o

I meant, the coyote sees the llama. New grand daughter in laws family farms and has a lot of rough ground unsuitable for farming and they have raised sheep for years on this as a pasture. Their guardian is a donkey. They have found mangled remains of a coyote in the pasture. They have to be careful when they want to move the sheep to have the donkey penned up where he can't attack the sheep dogs.

o

Lol, gandle, your son's theory is as good as any theory. I hope it works. I remember when we went to a national Zoo and one llama decided it did not like a lady and spit all over her. They are great spitters.

o

I did get a laugh from his theory, although it sure depends on traffic at the right moment.

Seriously, I've read that llamas are great for sheepherding, or at the least, sheep-guarding. It seems to be in their nature to protect and defend the flock. One guy reported that his llama would search for newborn lambs and stand over it until a human came to the rescue. It should be interesting to learn if that protectiveness extends to the horses. If so, a llama would be far more reliable than hoping for traffic at the appropriate moment.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here