Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jim_1

A long cruise - almost home

jim_1 (Zone 5B)
9 years ago

We finished Europe and Africa and have crossed the Atlantic, making up some time through time zone changes. Before we return to Ft. Lauderdale, there is one last stop.

Half Moon Cay is a privately owned island in the Bahamas. It is owned by Holland America Lines. Many, but not all, cruises from Florida stop here for a beach day. Other cruise lines have similar spots where they stop. It is a situation that did not exist 20+ years ago. Many passengers go on a cruise simply for the beach and salt water.

Of course it is not free. There are many ways that the cruise line will attempt to have you part with your money. It is easy, as no cash changes hands - it is all done on a card.

We have been here before and the missus has decided to stay on the ship and knit. I go ashore to test out my new camera.

All passengers and crew must transfer on the ship's tenders (when used in an emergency, they are life boats) as the water is too shallow to have a large cruise ship near the shore.

This is a view of part of the beach as I rode in one of the tenders.

Comments (11)

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A bit closer now to the main action. There were two Holland America ships there on this day. Since it was early December, there were no under-18 passengers on shore. During the school breaks (summer and winter), there would be more young people.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lots of color makes it more festive.

The people in the this photo are mostly crew members from the ships. I know that because I recognize them. It is one of their few opportunities to be ashore, not have to work and goof off. Good for them.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Not all crew members get a break. Passengers can rent these cabanas (can hold 4 comfortably) and get bar service, too.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

These clam shells are also rentals. I cannot recall the cost, nor am I aware of how they determine whether one has paid for it or not.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The Maasdam carried only 1200 'seasoned' passengers, both in age and number of cruises. Thus less than half went ashore. However the other ship is on the next to last day of a 7-day cruise. A much larger ship, more passengers were on the beach. Still, there were plenty of beach chairs to go around.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

When younger passengers are ashore, this playground is well-used. No charge to run and play here.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The other Holland America Line's ship in Half Moon Cay was Noordam. It usually carries about 1,900 passengers. Holland America's ships do not include some of the huge ships that are cruising, some of them carry more than 4,000 passengers!

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is one of the ship's tenders. For this type of transport, they will carry about 90 people and it is OK. For emergencies, it would carry about 150 and be tight.

• mawheel
    9 years ago

Jim, will you be glad to get home, or could you keep cruising for a while longer? You certainly have given us nice pictures, and allowed us to share your journey. Thank you.

The color of that water is so gorgeous, it's hard to imagine it's real. I could look at that for a long time.

• anneliese_32
    9 years ago

A relaxing end to a trip which I really enjoyed. Now I am already waiting for the pictures from your next trip, LOL.
    Thanks for the wonderful journey Jim.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This year's itinerary is identical to last year's. They should be returning to Ft. Lauderdale on Friday.

Next year! Oh! My! The 42-day becomes 50 days. Beyond what it has now, it adds 3 ports in Greece, plus 2 in Malta.

Tough decision time. We have already signed up for October, 2015 and it leaves Los Angeles, goes to Hawaii, Samoa, French Polynesia and back. 28 days. Of those 28, 17 are at sea with no land to be seen. On a per day cost, the one to Europe is less expensive and we could drive to Ft. Lauderdale; but 50 days is a long time. 28 days from the west coast means flying (I hate that) and it is more expensive per day.

Never been to Samoa, but nothing else is new on that one. Greece, Malta, etc is real tempting.

Jim

Sponsored
More Discussions