Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
agnespuffin

He Did A Duck!

agnespuffin
12 years ago

Well, not THAT way! But he cooked one.

I have mentioned before that the Husband Guy has had to take over more and more of my chores. Cooking is the main one. He has dumbfounded me in that he really seems to have a talent for it.

Anyway, we love duck. I had not done one for years. The main reason when the boys were growing up, was that cooking enough duck for five, including three teen age boys, required about three ducks, three roasting pans, and a BIG oven.

It was Great! He's got to do it again soon.

Now, the point of this essay. I had a bad night and didn't get up until about 11:00am. Wonderful aroma in the house. ?????? He had made Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies. If you have never had these, they are wonderful. All the difference between Blah-oatmeal cookie, and Blue Ribbon-Prize winning, Cookie.

When he finished he sat down and put HIS recipe down so that a copy could go into the Family Cookbook that I keep for favorites. This was a First for him. His very own recipe in the book.

Wonderful! Where has this guy been all my life while I groaned away over the stove?

Comments (14)

• Janis_G
    12 years ago

Lord luv a duck!!
    Having a man that can and WILL cook, you've won the lottery.
    Now buy him a bunch of aprons, a chef's hat, remodel the kitchen, whatever you have to do to keep him there.

Hope you are feeling better soon, Aggie.

• jazmynsmom
    12 years ago

Who cares where he's been! He's there now! Enjoy!

(Mmmmmmm! Duuuuuucccckkk!)

• west_gardener
    12 years ago

That is so great that your DH have taken up some of your chores and it is a real bonus that he is good at it. I like the fact that he wrote down the recipe.

• lilosophie
    12 years ago

Late bloomer! Talented cooks are hard to find, he's a treasure!

• mawheel
    12 years ago

Agnes, do you think your DH would share his peanut butter oatmeal cookie recipe? They sound pretty scrumptious! He, too, sounds like a great guy and a keeper, don't you think? :>)

• anneliese_32
    12 years ago

He definitely is a keeper. Wished he would visit me for a few days, my husband never could (would) cook and both of my sons are good cooks but not here. Well, let me amend that, he can make microwave popcorn, LOL.

• agnespuffin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

hmmmph! Says she. No one ever asked ME for one of MY recipes.

Oh well, I guess he wins.

Really, he just sort of looked at a lot of the usual peanut butter/oatmeal cookie recepies and then did The Deed.

The only thing, and I think it's what made the difference, is that he added some vanilla flavoring. He thinks about 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons.

1 block (1 cup) softened Butter (we use unsalted)
    1 cup brown sugar, packed.
    3/4 cup white sugar
    1 cup Peanut Butter
    2 eggs
    1 1/2 cup self rising flour. (if you use plain flour, add the salt, and other stuff.)
    1 1/2 cup quick cooking oats (regular ones do ok too)
    2 teaspoons real vanilla extract

1. preheat oven to 350 degrees
    2. in large bowl, cream togerer, butter, brown sugar, white sugar and peanut butter, until smooth.
    3. Beat in 2 eggs, one at a time until well blended.
    4. Add flour, mix
    5. Mix in oats until just combined.

Drop by spoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet
    Bake for 10-15 minutes in preheated oven. Don't overbake.

Don't know when he added the vanilla. With the peanut butter would seem about right. ??

Anyway, good luck!

• mawheel
    12 years ago

Agnes, thanks very much. I plan to make these cookies, soon.

P.S. I'd be glad to get one of your recipes, too! :>)

• west_gardener
    12 years ago

I have fun testing recipes, and I'll try this one.
    I like his " 1 1/2 cup quick cooking oats (regular ones do ok too) ". That's my kind of cooking, use what you have.

• User
    12 years ago

Think I had duck once but can't remember when, long time ago. Do remember pheasant that we hunted in the corn fields in Iowa. I was the flusher. Found the pellets occasionally.

• tibs
    12 years ago

Yum on the cookies. Dh can cook. In years past he proved it with bread, applie pie and spritz cookies. How ever it is not his thing and I like it. I also like to cook alone (and garden alone, for that matter). It is the clean up that is always a drag. A few of us at work were discussing the holiday cooking and one of the guys says I took over the holiday cooking some years back. The rule in our house is who ever doesn't do the cooking has KP duty. I thought this was a wonderful idea. Relayed it to dh and he looked my in the eye and said very seriously: "I do not want you talking to that person anymore." Darn, another good idea down the tubes.

• calliope
    12 years ago

rofl laughing tibs.

My husband can cook. He doesn't do it often, and sometimes it's not the way I'd do it but it's always good and always appreciated when he does. Speaking of KP, mine has taken to doing KP after the evening meal in the last year. I don't know why, but what a wonderful gift that is and I'm still a little uncomfortable resting and watching him work. (but I'm getting use to the idea, lol) He has traditionally done the outside chores, and I the inside chores and that includes the typical 'man' jobs like wiring and plastering. In wintertime, aside from pushing snow with the blade, that means he's not working and I am. Tickles me he's pitching in without being asked. I'm sure you're tickled as well.

It seems like when men do venture into the kitchen, most of them take it seriously and are proud of their accomplishments. That is a good thing. It also means he loves you, but you knew that already, didn't you.

• agnespuffin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Whoops!! He made them again this morning. There was a big difference. I think he mis-measured as the sweetness just wasn't there.

Unless there is a difference in Brown Sugar. This time, he had Dark brown. I don't know what we had on the shelf last time, but I know it wasn't the dark kind.

Anyway, they were still better than the plain oatmeal cookie.

I guess it's the price of learning......and I like the ones made with the regular instead of quick oats.

• west_gardener
    12 years ago

agnespuffin , baking is not an exact science. I've made the oatmeal/raisins cookies on the Oatmeal box for years and years, sometimes I'll make half the recipe. Most of the time it turns out ok, but this time I thought the dough was rather stiff and I did not know why.
    I baked the cookies , and offered them to the family and they luved the cookies.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County
More Discussions