Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
agnespuffin

tongue twisters

agnespuffin
13 years ago

Do children still enjoy tongue twisters? We were talking about some of the old ones that we learned. Do you still remember some?

Here's one that just about always stumped me. I would do OK until the last line. (you gotta say it out loud. No fair just reading it)

She sells sea shells by the sea shore. The shells she sells are sea shells, I'm sure. For if she sells sea shells by the sea shore, then I am sure that she sells sea shore shells.

Comments (15)

• sara_the_brit_z6_ct
    13 years ago

Sister Susie sews shirts for sailors

• west_gardener
    13 years ago

It reminds me that when I was learning English here in the states, one of my teachers used tongue twisters as a tool to help us speak faster. It sure helped me to get my tongue around some of the "strange" sounds.
    I have also seen (tv show) where tongue twisters has been put to a rap beat and the children had no problem the twisters at all.

Here is a link that might be useful: tonguetwister

• mwoods
    13 years ago

she slits sheets for the sheet slitters.

• jazmynsmom
    13 years ago

I've used tongue twisters for tutoring sessions with ESL learners. I generally introduce them to the lesson by dictating them slowly for them to write, and then we go over them until the meaning is clear and they can do the verbal gymnastics. It's a fun way to introduce a little levity and to work on some of the rough patches in a learner's pronunciation. I'm sure it's the same with kids, though I've never had the pleasure of (nor the patience for) teaching them in a formal setting. :o)

• agnespuffin
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This is interesting. I never thought of them being useful as a teaching tool, but I can see how it would help with getting the unfamiliar sounds nailed down a little quicker.

In fact, a lot of us lip-lazy southerners could probably benefit by some extra duty with tongue twisters.

• minnie_tx
    13 years ago

How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

I think of this everytime I watch that cute Geico commercial with the woodchucks
    chucking wood into the river.
    The driver yells "Hey you woodchucks stop chucking my wood!!"

• lilod
    13 years ago

Minnie, it's smy favorite tongue twister when I stack firewood LOL

• agnespuffin
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Second verse:

He'd chuck all the wood a woodchuck could chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck wood.

Anyone remember the name of The Thifty Thistle Sifter? He thrust three thousand thistles through the thick of his thumb.

That's all I remember about that one. I think it was a little long.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    13 years ago

From my childhood:
    A big black bear bit a big black bug
    Susie sells seashells by the seashore
    Peter piper picked a peck of pickled peppers
    A peck of pickled peppers Peter piper did pick (or is Piper his last name?)

For Christmas, from the internet:
    Running reindeer romp 'round red wreaths.

Two trains travel together to Toyland.

How many deer would a reindeer reign if a reindeer could reign deer?

Kris Kringle chose to climb the chimney at Christmas.

There's chimney soot on Santa's suit.

Santa stuffs Steve's striped stocking.

Patsy picks pretty papered packages.

Mindy merrily mixes mincemeat.

Short shoppers shop for soft, short shirts.

• minnie_tx
    13 years ago

There are some good ones here !! I never heard the Christmas ones loved them
    Be good for a party or on Christmas eve put on slips of paper and each one draws one and has to say it X number of times what fun that could be

• jazmynsmom
    13 years ago

There's a bawdy one that gets repeated by my brother after every successful pheasant hunt, but I'll spare you nice folks the details... ;o)

• west_gardener
    13 years ago

jazmynsmom, I'm game.

• endorphinjunkie
    13 years ago

What's bawdy about a pheasant plucker?

• jazmynsmom
    13 years ago

Ain't nothin' bawdy about it if you can say it correctly...

• west_gardener
    13 years ago

I guess I'll have to watch more than my p's and q's while pheasant hunting.

Sponsored
More Discussions