Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jim_1

Rain in California?

jim_1 (Zone 5B)
9 years ago

I just read a notice that things are gonna get bad. Lots of rain, possibly flooding and mud slides. Snow in the mountains could mean a small dent in the drought situation.

Those on the west coast, please keep us updated.

I'll be thinking of you are this 'event' comes ashore.

Comments (14)

• west_gardener
    9 years ago

Thanks for your concern, Jim.
    It calls for "High Wind Warning
    the San Francisco Bay Area
    9 hours ago �" National Weather Service", and rain for the next three days.
    We need the rain but I can do without the high winds.

• anneliese_32
    9 years ago

Just watched the warning on the news. Hope you and Lilo as well as everybody gets enough rain that it makes a difference but nobody gets harmed.

• lilosophie
    9 years ago

It has not been really bad so far, lots of rain, but not really awful at my place.
    Still, traveling is getting pretty dicey, a friend was stuck on the highway for some time, Joann went and fed her animals.Cell-phones sure are an advantage in these situations/
    Our area is waiting for high winds and more heavy rain, I am having a dental appointment tomorrow morning @ 9 o'clock, we will call the clinic to find out if staff got there before we set ut.
    Power is on so far, that is good.
    Ill check in tomorrow morning, if I don't means power went out.

• mjmercer
    9 years ago

I was trapped in Santa Rosa, CA (55 miles north of San Francisco) for several months in 2012. It rained...pounded, basically...nearly every #$!! day from Halloween through Christmas. Good times, good times.

This rainy season in southern CA will be child's play in comparison.

Karen

• nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10
    9 years ago

This rainy season in southern CA will be child's play in comparison.

We'll happily take it!

There were some mud slides during last week's rain, and the likelihood of more goes up with each successive storm.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

It's not expected to start here until after midnight, then it should (crossing fingers) be mostly snow. Not that I particularly like snow, but we need it after this long dry spell.

• west_gardener
    9 years ago

What a storm so far, and it is supposed to continue tomorrow.
    We are mostly fine, just some gutter overflow. But the Bay Area is really taking a hit.
    Flash flooding all over the place, flooding in several towns, trees falling and about 100k people w/o power,
    There is a blizzard in the sierras, that is good news for the snow pack. but bad news for the people who live there, because they can't depend on getting regular food delivery.
    Hold on S. Cal. people, do the best you can.

• west_gardener
    9 years ago

The good news, after the storm. We got a lot of much needed rain. According to a local report, the sierras received more snow from this one storm than all of last year.
    The storm has past, but it is still snowing but the roads are passable. They are talking about opening some bunny slopes.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

More rain?

• west_gardener
    9 years ago

Yes Jim, there has been more rain and "they" say it will be more rain. After the nasty storm it has rained off and on for days.
    But as lilo said, paraphrasing, it's december and it is raining. Back to normal.

• lilosophie
    9 years ago

Rain and the snow-level has dropped, not down to my level, but we may be seeing snow on some of the higher peaks. It's cold, I say, though not as cold as other places.
    The snow is important, the run-off fills the reservoirs.
    Next week the weather guessers say it shall be dry, that is good, so much needs to be done outside.

• west_gardener
    9 years ago

"They" said it would rain for the next 3 days.
    There was a break in the clouds, so I dashed out and bought some xmas things on sale.
    It started raining again when I returned home.
    When there is a sale, the brave get going.

• lilosophie
    9 years ago

"Weather permitting" is such a good thing , but there are times when it's not possible, such as Appointments, medical or others, so one just has to brave the elements, only excuse is when the roads are closed because of flooding or snow/ice (yea, Californians are wimps about snow)

• west_gardener
    9 years ago

lol, I don't want to start a coast to coast feud here, but I think us CA people are a lot braver than the DC people. They close down the whole city if there are more than two snowflakes on the ground. Been there, worked and lived there. Even if I wanted to go to work, I could not get there, everything was stopped.
    Go CA people.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH
More Discussions