Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jim_1

A long cruise - Funchal, Madeira-part 2

jim_1 (Zone 5B)
9 years ago

Days-long wild fire cleared this area in 2010. It is slowly returning to its pre-fire state.

Comments (18)

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Look closely. Row crops right to the edge of the cliff. Due to the steep hillsides, that road hairpin turn is typical. I have referred to Madeira as the island of tunnels. Lots of roads go through the mountains at one point or another.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The cliffs a Ponto do Pargo, said to be 1200 feet high. We are at the western most part of the island. I asked the guide what was out there and he said, âÂÂAmerica.âÂÂ

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The lighthouse at Ponto do Pargo, the locals call this the end of the earth.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I believe that these are vacation rentals.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Looking down at a seaside village.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Same village, a closer look. Many folks grow bananas in their yards. Also, look at that hairpin turn. One does not drive fast there.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There are still some farmers who grow sugar cane on Madeira, but the demand is small. Here, as in the Caribbean, sugar cane mills have gone into disuse.

• mawheel
    9 years ago

Jim, what fascinating pictures, and what a beautiful place. Those cliffs are awesome, and a vacation in one of those rental places--esp. one with a pool--would be very nice.

What is their weather like at this time of year?

Thanks for giving me the chance to see and visit places I never would, otherwise.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The weather is temperate. When we were there last November, I wore shorts and a t-shirt.

The flora on Madeira show me that the ocean keeps it from getting too hot nor too cool. However, that fog thing could be an issue. I saw beautiful hydrangeas in late November and other flowers that would not be blooming in our Novembers, except on the west coast of USA.

• anneliese_32
    9 years ago

Thanks for taking us along on your visit to Madeira. This way I don't have to look in person down big cliffs. In my misspent youth I did climb but somewhen along the way I got leery.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    9 years ago

When he said "America" when you asked what was out there, did he mention how vast the ocean is inbetween there and where America is, since it's closer to the Portugal, African, and Spanish coasts (they form a triangle)?! Like the ENTIRE Atlantic ocean?

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

He knew. We were on the west coast of Madeira. Nothing but water.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    9 years ago

thousands and thousands of miles. Whoa. I'd hate to be adrift on it. Isn't that the direction where the Titanic lay for so long because it was "too deep to reach"? Surely looks deep on Google Earth.

:/

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Row crops next to the ocean.

• mawheel
    9 years ago

WOW! I assume you were standing on the edge of the cliff top ? I like the picture, the design of the crops from 'on high' makes a neat pattern, but standing so close to the edge makes my stomach muscles tighten--even from this distance. :-)

• west_gardener
    9 years ago

Yes, about the west coast of CA and hydrangeas , early dec, and my hydrangeas looks the same as your pic.

• bob_cville
    9 years ago

I love your pictures Jim. When we went to Madeira several years ago, we so enamored that we were contemplating buying a vacation home there.

I think this photo is from the same viewpoint, looking down.
    {{gwi:2119251}}

and this one is a view of the cliff from the nearby fishing village. We were told that it is the second tallest sea cliff in the world.
    {{gwi:2119252}}

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I missed this one. A bottle brush tree.

Sponsored
More Discussions