Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
He's at it again!!! Cooking adventure. # 543

Posted by agnespuffin (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 31, 11 at 17:59

Yep! He's in the kitchen and here I sit, listening, quivering, chewing my nails, etc.

We had one big left over pork chop and he thought he'd like to try making Pork Fried Rice like I do.

Fine! The problem is that when you cook "by guess and by golly" like I do, it's hard to sit down and tell someone else what to do.

So I started by asking him what he intended to put in it. He passed that part. On to the next step.... Cutting up the veggies...(I offered to help, but he wanted to do it ALL)

I think I told him everything. I hope I didn't leave out anything important.

It's easy. Right??? Right!

Be Still My Heart. This isn't going to take long. I just hope I can stay out of the kitchen.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: He's at it again!!! Cooking adventure. # 543

Well, it's over and his Pork Fried Rice was truly delicious. I don't know how he does it. He's getting a little proud of his accomplishment in the kitchen so I think he's about due for a big failure.

Maybe I should suggest a cake???

o

I don't know Aggie, that would not be a real test, baking, particularly sweet stuff, is an entirely different skill from cooking, I think it would be unfair to judge a failed cake compared to the good cooking skills he has - and if he doesn't fail, where does that leave you?

o

Lol, my biggest failure in cooking was when I tried to make chicken and dumplings for the first time. I went to check on the dish, and the dumplings were totally gone and I mean gone from the pot.I still don't know what happened but I kept experimenting and eventually I was able to make some great dumplings. Cooking is not a given, it takes trial and error.

o

You're a lucky lady to have your husband cook for you. Just enjoy it.

o

• Posted by mwheel East. WV-Z.6 (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 1, 12 at 13:24

Agnes, let him get as proud as he wants! As long as he's willing to cook and is being successful, just enjoy it!

o

I think it's great that he's not only cooking, but it turns out to be good. By guess&golly cooking may be contagious.

Is he -or you- writing down the recipes? Even guess-&-golly recipes are better than none. I found an old notebook where I had written some when I taught my kid brother basic cookery. The trouble with B%G cooking is that after a few years, one forgets just what went in; those old notes reminded me of a wonderful marinade, and a great sauce for veggie stirfry, and a yummy casserole, none of which I have made in a couple decades. I had gone on to other recipes and in the process, forgot about these.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here