Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
west_gardener

Traditions

west_gardener
10 years ago

Some time ago, Anneliese posted a quote about traditions.
It started me thinking, thanks Anneliese.
I realized that our family had been changing traditions for some time when it comes to Christmas.
Originally we celebrated both Christmas Eve (Norwegian) and Christmas Day (American) with all the trimmings for both.I did most, if not all the work, because I thought it was important to celebrate both traditions.
Hand wrapped all the presents, including making the bows.
And many more changes.

Little by little it all changed. Kids got married, had children, and started their own traditions, I got older and did not want to do all the work. We've downsized our tree from a 9' to a 4'.

This christmas, we're doing Christmas Eve. Everyone brings something for themselves and something for the table. Presents can be anything from a gift card or something from a cyber shop.
The one important tradition is that we get connected somhow during Christmas time.
Thanks for the thought provoking quotes.

Here is a link that might be useful: traditions

Comments (5)

• pkramer60
    10 years ago

Our family, just Dad and myself, has changed tradition also. It started after Mom passed. Being of German descent, Christmas Eve was the main day, with presents brought by the angels from Christ. Dinner was full of special delicacies. Now we either stay home and I make a special dinner, maybe invite some friends to join us or we go to someone else's house. We did that last year and the dinner was delivered pizza, ordered by a hostess that was still at the grocery store when the guests arrived. She forgot to pre-order so we ended up with a nasty pie from an untried place. Not doing that one again!

Christmas Day was always a roast goose but now we join friends in a noisy but fun meal. Menu varies from prime rib, tenderloin or home made raviolis. Everyone brings something to add, like lasagna, desserts or a side. We enjoy the day and all of us go home with left overs.

Dinner this year will be the raviolis which we ladies make on the Saturday before, about 350 of them for the 40 at dinner. I will also bring either a cheesecake or a trifle to share.

• anneliese_32
    10 years ago

Being a military family, we have not had many "family" Christmases. A couple of the traditional Christmas Eves with my parents when we were stationed in Germany, one Christmas with my husband's family while my husband was in Korea and I lived for 13 month in the same town. All the other years we were either too far away or duty or jobs prevented visits. So for us it was always Christmas Eve presents and a big dinner on Christmas Day.
    Now, that the kids are gone, one lives too far away and my younger one comes with his family for Christmas Eve and they celebrate with the in-laws on Christmas Day and my husband and I take it easy. Works great, no arguments about who goes where.

• west_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Meet part of the family for a christmas celebration. Lol, who would have thought?

7yo GS made this video.

Here is a link that might be useful: New Family Tradition

This post was edited by west_gardener on Thu, Dec 12, 13 at 18:17

• lilosophie
    10 years ago

WG, cute video
    We stuck to the Christmas eve tradition,presents at Christmas eve, nice dinner on Christmas day. FL brought the Swiss tradition of a fondue as Christmas eve meal to the mix.
    In-laws spent the night and attended a function of their church Christmas day and then there was a traditional Turkey dinner.
    Of course, things change, but there is still the gifts on Christmas eve for Joann and me, we usually have crab on Christmas eve and a Fondue on New Year's eve. So remnants of the traditions still live, but location and weather determine the actions.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    10 years ago

We used to go to my mother's parents' house for Christmas Eve, and the Christmas morning big birthday bash was at our (mom's) house. Afterwards, we'd visit all of the family, driving from home to home. First Dad's and his mom's (his father died when he was a young teen), then my mom's dad's side of the family. When we got married, the big dinner disappeared. And now the brunch is wherever. We'll never stop doing the brunch since it's my sister's birthday and she's the youngest. For the next four years, two of them, the LF will be with us, and two of them will be without. After he turns 18, we'll see what new traditions come along. I assume he'll leave for university. Unless he goes to school in Nashville? We'll see.

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH
More Discussions