Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jury duty

Posted by gandle 4 NE (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 12, 11 at 21:14

Received a summons today for district court jury duty. I know because of age I can opt out but not even sure I want to . Served once on a federal jury almost 30 years ago. I was working then of course and resented the time I spent away from a fledgling business but now for some reason I have lots of spare time. Did have to fill out a form with all pertinent info so we'll see. Sign of the times, they won't notify me by mail if I am chosen. Have to log on to a URL on a certain day or call a toll free number if I am to serve. Wonder why the post office is in bad shape. The government won't even use it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Jury duty

I had to go in for a jury selection yesterday......timely thread. Spent half a day in the court room until the panel was interrogated and finally sat. Same routine here. One calls in by phone just prior to the trial time.

You did likely receive your notification you were on the roster of potential jurors(and informational form) by mail though, no? I also did. Then I received my actual summons giving the time and date of the trial by mail also. Maybe you will as well. It came with the directions to call the night before the trial.

This is something that really can't be done via the postal service efficiently because right on up to immediately pre-trial the negotions continue for plea bargaining with the possibility that the trial will be cancelled. If the jurors show up and the trial has been cancelled, they still must be paid for their attendance by the courts.

o

We have a 75 years of age cut-off.

o

Wow, anneliese, age discrimination in jury duty.

o

Only served once when working for the city, hard to do when you are the whole business.

o

don_social, you're right about that. A neighbor (female) was called and told the judge that her DH had lost his job and she was now the sole bread winner, she paid the mortgage and put the food on the table. She was excused.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here