Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I'm growing mushrooms

Posted by west_gardener (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 11, 11 at 21:23

I'm growing mushrooms indoors. It is another experiment and it actually works. I found the site linked below at gardenweb, talking about a kit for growing oyster mushrooms. I bought a kit and started it on 12/6/2011 and as of today, 12/11/2011 I have mushrooms growing. Oh, the things I learn from GW.

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Mushrooms

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I'm growing mushrooms

BTW, I remember years and years ago when we had a thread about Morels here at GP. I'm going to look around for some info about how to grow Morels.

o

• Posted by tibs 5/6 OH (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 12, 11 at 9:34

Good luck with the morels. They are very picky. But delish. I think you might be wasting your money on a kit. But I hope not.

o

That's cool West! Those kits have always fascinated me too.

We now have a Morel kit: 56 mostly-wooded acres in a part of the state that's known for Morels. Come May, I'll let you know how that's working out! (Hopefully, better than this year, which got too hot too soon for Morels).

o

Lol, jazmynsmom , I sure got a kick out of your size morel kit. Please keep us informed. Tibs said the Morels were picky.
I'm in the experimental process re mushrooms.
It took 6 days from starting the kit with oyster mushrooms to see actual mushrooms.
I find it interesting.

o

Speaking of growing fungi.........I remember one particularly hot, humid summer in Missouri. Our old house had several bathrooms near the bedroom area and a toadstool started growing at the base of one of the commodes. Probably because of condensation off the porcelain bowl. We carefully cleaned around it and left it to grow just on general principles. A stool with a toadstool under it.

Morels are picky......hunted them all my life when in areas where they are indiginous. Being careful not to harvset so many that the spores are not left for future colonies. They can be found in certain conditions, preferring to grow under the decaying logs of particular species of trees. In our state, May would be way too long to wait to harvest a morel........one watches for particular weather conditions too. It hits here more around a late Easter time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here