Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dodgerdudette

Idyll Check-In

dodgerdudette
9 years ago

Here's a toast to the olden days ..

In Northern California our winter has been frighteningly mild. I've done about 60% of the rose pruning, and dug up most of my hell strip. DS is on a SF Shakespeare Company tour and not around to assist with the heavy lifting--I dug up my Pennisetum 'Bunny Tails' and drug it onto my concrete patio. Dead as a doornail and it still weighs a ton. I need a 3 day weekend.

Comments (26)

• gardenbug
    9 years ago

Newly moved to British Columbia from Ontario, so a change from zone 5 to zone 7/8. Everything is new to me here. Smaller garden with lots of rhododendrons, but grandchildren to entertain us. Daughter & SIL are nearby and into permaculture (chickens and goats too) while DS, the world traveler, continues helping schools in need. He's presently in Ghana. Phoebe-dog just turned 7.

• jak1
    9 years ago

Hi Idylls! Still here in Eastern Ontario and growing "all kinds of crazy gardens" to quote a friend. We continue our friendships on FB now. Our winter has been odd...lots of cold and very little snow. I am wondering what will survive in my perennial beds......

• drema_dianne
    9 years ago

Hi Everyone! I'm ordering seeds, lots of sunflowers this year. I bought Johnny's complete Sunflower Garden and from Burpee, Mrs. Mars and Candy Mountain hybrid. The last two are supposed to be pink. Maybe I will have some splashes of color in my shady garden this year. i have had good luck with them in the past. They just don't grow to their full height, etc. Today we are expecting freezing rain, so I am just waiting to see what happens before I decide to drive the 1/2 hour on a slippery highway. Can't wait to see this again!

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    9 years ago

Although I no longer post here, I'm still gardening and zone pushing in central CT. So far my attempts to downsize the garden so I have time for other things have failed miserably :). Maybe this year...

• cynthia_gw
    9 years ago

Checking in from Maryland! It seems like forever, but my password still works. See you all on Facebook :)

{{gwi:2119457}}

• veronicastrum
    9 years ago

Checking in from Illinois. I'm not amazed that my log in still works, but I am amazed that I remembered it! We're having a relatively mild winter here. My biggest gardening challenge the last year or so has been a lack of time to spend in the garden. Work and travel have kept me from spending as much time as I should. I'm hoping to make amends this year.

I was happy to see that photo posting has become much easier here. I'm sharing a winter photo.

• Lara Noles
    9 years ago

Checking in from Michigan, still gardening but less than when I was last here, I'm more obcessed with my grandchildren and their interests than my garden these days. So funny to see all these old aliases that we used to know each other by here. This was the only photo of my garden I could find from last summer, taken through my screen door.

• michelle_zone4
    9 years ago

Checking in from Iowa. We are having a mild winter so far. I'm still gardening on our farm. I had to look up my username. Could it be I'm not asyoung as I used to be?

• michelle_zone4
    9 years ago

Checking in from Iowa. We are having a mild winter so far. I'm still gardening on our farm. I had to look up my username. Could it be I'm not asyoung as I used to be?

{{gwi:2119455}}

• michelle_zone4
    9 years ago

I'm not sure why my picture is sideways. I'll blame the phone. I used a desktop back in the old days. I think I'll see if I can find a Texas gardening forum. DS needs some advice.

• PRO
    Kaveh Maguire Garden Design
    9 years ago

Howdy.

Marie told me to come and say hi. I haven't posted on Gardenweb in ages. I'm living and designing gardens on California's central coast. You can find me at my blog linked below (which I update from time to time) or on Facebook where I post pictures far more frequently.

- Kaveh

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Propaganda

• chelone
    9 years ago

Alive and reasonably well in Maine. Busy with my business and THTTF (I blanche at the thought of the work required to get it to rentable status... don't ask!). We received somewhere around 20-22" of snow but we're all shovelled out now and the hardier members of the Pride are now relieving themselves outdoors. Yippee.

We lost one of the kitties (Spencer) 12/1/14, but sprung 2 more from the pokey in late December... Gracie and Stuart. At nearly 5 mos. old they are a total riot and are just beginning to sample the great outdoors under heavy parental, feline, and elderly canine supervision.

'bout wraps it up from Frontier Land. That's a big 10-4.

• babs_clare
    9 years ago

Just a short blab from me ;) Not much gardening happens in my yard these days only because voracious deer have made it almost impossible. This pic was from a couple years ago when deerproof plants I could safely grow started to dwindle. Photography has become a bigger pastime as far as hobbies go.

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    9 years ago

How fantastic to come home from the awfice, pour a glass of wine and read the Idylls ! Thanks for humoring me you guys...
    And not only that , a surprise visit from Chelone -we miss you dammit ! Sorry to hear that your Spencer crossed over the bridge.

Kaveh, I read your blog and miss it when you don't post for a while.I'll never forget the wonderful post you did to honor your Father. Hope your garden is thriving !

lol Michelle, I love that you posted the photo sideways--we all used to be so adept at GW back when posting pics was a pia..

'bug, I can't believe Phoebe is 7 ..

Eden, it's important that you pass that garden gene on to those grands..not to mention providing a safe haven for Creepy Guy aka Angela Lansbury.

C'mon Babs, put up that deer fence !

Sue, don't you dare downsize at least until I'm too geriatric to fly back there anymore.

Love the photo V ...you have been a globe-trotter this year I must say. I know how travel can cut into garden (and home) maintenance time, though your trips are longer duration than mine tend to be.

Oh my Cynthia, we do need more photos of your garden this summer on FB...that is just splendid !

Julie, your 1st IU was a year after mine I think--Maine , right ?

In retrospect I guess I should have given this thread an official Idyll Tydyll with the appropriate number. Jeesh.

Kathy in Napa

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    9 years ago
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>Great to hear from Chelone! Sorry to hear you lost a kitty. If you need any more I seem to have plenty these days.
  • dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    9 years ago

lol Sue...

hell, I missed commenting to Dreama..I have always been insanely jealous of the 'conservatory' on the back end of your house. It's just fabu-fabu !

• michelle_zone4
    9 years ago

I'm not sure why my picture is sideways. I'll blame the phone. I used a desktop back in the old days. I think I'll see if I can find a Texas gardening forum. DS needs some advice.

• flowerluvr
    9 years ago

WOO HOO! An old time Idyll thread! As usual for me, I'm checking in far into the conversation ;) Still gardening and farming with my hubby. I'm in the "looking to downsize" club, but haven't made any progress in that direction.
    Chelone, it's good to hear from you, woman!!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Wow. How fun. I am still teaching and living in DC area...unfortunately (not the living, but the teaching and DC area-ha). I am wondering why my zone 7 garden does not look like the other zone 7 Cynthia's garden. Oh, now I remember, The Galloping Gardeners are still in charge of the backyard, abetted by the grandpup on the weekends. Sigh. Maybe this year I will get ahead of them.

Good to see this thread!

• jak1
    9 years ago

Hey Chelone! Been thinking a lot bout you. Is the elderly canine The Huge One? OK, what does THTTF stand for??

• just_t
    9 years ago

Oh my heavens what a wonderful surprise & blessing to stumble upon this thread and find some very dear names!

We are still dealing with elk & deer visits which beat down my excitement about introducing more plants into my plans. I have even thought of turning some of my flower areas back into grass. :-/

DH is looking to retire within the next year, oh my!

I am still sitting on babies regularly, lol. We now have 7 grandsons...did not get any granddaughters, darn it!

I had a knee replaced last year and also had surgery to remove arthritic bone(s) at the base of my thumb (they replace the bones with a harvested tendon from the forearm). I am slowly getting back my pinching strength and look forward to being able to pull weeds pain-free this spring.

I do not have a FB account so no way to connect with the Idylls. I stumbled across a link to marble-like countertops on GW then that made me wonder if I could find the idylls once again. I'm smiling at getting to read a little catch up from so many of you!! I would love to hear from you again!
    Fondly, T

• cynthia_gw
    9 years ago

Hi T, Good to hear from you! Funny, I was looking at marble laminates last week when I couldn't find the right color marble for my downstairs bath. Here's a good link with 4 choices.

Here is a link that might be useful: 4 marble laminates

• just_t
    9 years ago

Thanks Cynthia!

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi T ! How great to hear from you--I miss our farm game conversations on FB..! Did you know that 'bug has moved to BC ? Another Idyll in my time zone ..:-)
    Kathy in Napa

• just_t
    9 years ago

Hi Kathy!! I, too, miss connecting with you, Brenda & other Idylls on the FB games & FB.

So 'bug decided to move west....good deal! Hope she finds a lot of joy in gardening in a milder climate.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?