Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saucydog_gw

Idyll # 420 - Looking Ahead

saucydog
15 years ago

I like the idea of looking ahead past winter as a diversion....

So carry on idylls!

Comments (101)

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

No weasels in my backyard but plenty of them in the awfice...lol.

Cold here (about 16F off a low of 11F this morning) but not nearly as bad as what some of you are dealing with or what was originally predicted. The worst of it is supposed to be tomorrow then we're on the upswing. I didn't protect my Musa basjoo this winter but if some of it dies back I won't be heartbroken. It was becoming a monster last season.

Last night the dogs and I fell asleep in front of the new gas fireplace. It was installed on Tuesday and has already exceeded my expectations.

Nice to see Drema and T resurface. T, how are you weeding under all that snow? Oh wait, the snow turned to floods, right?

OK, back to work. I've made good progress this week but am not out of the woods yet-another couple of weeks.

Sue

• jak1
    15 years ago

I'm with many of you in suffering the weather woes! Today the sun is insanely bright and the temperatures insanely low at -32C (-25F). And it is supposed to be even colder overnight.

The cat refuses to even stick her nose outdoors and Ajax scoots out to do his business and runs back in, on three legs as he tries to keep his paw pads from freezing.

The stomach flu has rampaged through our house in the last five days, with all four of us being laid low for two days each. I was grateful to have DS here this week as he was over the flu by Tuesday and could get TCS off to school, do laundry, run the diswasher and generally tidy up while DH and I were indisposed. Even in the throes of my misery I got a chuckle out of Marie's description of "not being able to turn around fast enough in the bathroom". Not funny, but yes, funny!

The Cal Lane art is great, but, being me, right away I thought of the difficulties of cleaning up the icing sugar from the tire art. Those floors looked pretty good, so I know I would be right in there with my dust buster or something. I love the shovels and wheelbarrow - those things would sure hold a place of honour in my gardens!

Tuesday evening I went to a meeting of the Perth Horticultural Society. Someone I know from my old village of Merrickville was the guest speaker. Her name is Diana Beresford-Kroeger and her focus is on the uses of various plants, primarily trees, in terms of natural memdcines. She is a very knowlegeable and entertaining speaker and I really enjoyed touching base with her again. If you Google her name, you will see that she has written many books on the subjects of trees, forsts and gardens, and has a very impressive background. She will be releasing two new books this coming year. Might be interesting for a book club, unless the fare is supposed to be novels and fiction.

Sue it sounds like the gas fireplace was a good investment for you!

Marie, you had sent me some seeds for those lovely pink poppies. They are great performers!

Deanne, your gardens make me drool.

20 Elephant Ears?? Wow! Maybe I should think about starting my two.

Well, out of steam already. Next time.

Cheers,

Julie

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

Just a quick drop in with the promised kitchen redo pics. I"ll try to get back here again later for a bit of chitchat. Bella's here today so that's questionable. Hope you're all having a good day and above all staying warm!

Eden

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Hi friends, and a happy Friday eve to all. My internet connection is very slow this evening, and Im trying to rule out them-us -this computer-that computer. Faster on the laptop than the desktop, but still very slow.

Marie your photo is my new desktop-I love the layered look with the misty background . Sounds like the naming follies are continuing ! Lets see, if I was having a girl baby right now (and thank god that is not the case) I would name her Lily or Gabrielle. The boy would be named Charlie or Dennis. Pretty mundane!

Drema, root canals are not so bad -they just take a long time. The pain free end result is worth it. I have fully embraced the drugged up approach to dental work, lol. My DS has driven me to the dentist and picked me up on numerous occasions due to reduced capacity ! I wish I had gone the steamer route with my wallpaper removal project last winter. I am now wallpaper free so I have no worries about that anymore.

Deanne, thanks for the tip on the hulled seed. I remember reading about that somewhere now that you mention it. I see that it is more expensive but I can order it wholesale through work and and get it a little cheaper-well worth it to reduce the piles of shells ! Bird activity is surely one of the fun benefits of winter. I am finally seeing the black-headed juncos here. I will try to get a pic this weekend -they are one of my favorites.

Sue, what a coincidence-I have weasels in my awfice too ! Have you ever met a fastener salesman? Right up there with the toner guys.

Eden, love your kitchen re-do, so bright and cheery ! A kitchen book case has always been on my wish list, but my current kitchen hasnt any available wall space.

All for me tonighta hello to all !
    Kathy in Napa

P.S.
    Isn't the Logees visit on the horizon ? There will be cameras right Saucy ? And where is Martie ???

• chelone
    15 years ago

Eden, your kitchen looks wonderful. I am very partial to chequered floors. It's that wonderfully classic touch and the diagonal pattern draws the eye on. The shelving idea is very clever; how are they fastened together or are they mounted against a wall? I'm in favor of "eating cake", too. But one more thing, would you please elaborate on the 'frig.'s door? (looks like fun).

It was VERY slow last night. I finally gave up and went to bed, quickly lulled to sleep by the self-congratulatory dronings of our President. When all else fails, go to sleep; one of the many things I've learned from the resident felines and the helpmeet who is an expert napper, too.

It's about as cold as we ever see this morning, probably below zero here, though I can't be certain. We don't have a functional thermometer (still haven't installed the one Santa left) nor do we own a bathroom scale. We don't call it "Frontierland" for nothin'. Poor Rex has not had the amount of exercise he really needs for the past few days and predictably he bolted on the helpmeet last night. He wasn't gone long, emitting a few yips outside the front door about 10 minutes later. His tags were really, really cold! I see plainly that I will have to suit up appropriately and circumnavigate the Compound with him a few times today. It promises to be a bracing experience. I have to say, though, what's with CT closing schools because it't "too cold"?! umm, it's winter and it rolls around every 12 months... and umm... sometimes it gets cold. Don't they heat schools in CT? ;)

Deanne, I loved seeing the fluffed up Junco. They are just the sweetest little things, though I think my favorites are the Chickadees and Nuthatches (I love the way they march up and down the trunks of trees, so "business-like"). The helpmeet serves "Meaties" here, too. And the little gluttons polish them off with great relish. It's definitely hard work being a bird in cold weather. Even harder work bein' Deanne freezin' her hindquarters in the blind, and for that sacrifice we thank you. :)

I need to find something to eat right now, probably some of the custard pie that was made last night (it's my favorite). :) While I'm eating I will probably recall the other things I wanted to say and can't recall right now.

• saucydog
    Original Author
    15 years ago

How fun to see shots of long lost summer! I can't wait for those first exciting warm days. I see more snow in our weekend forecast. As we drove through town last night, I was taking note of the mountains of snow in the parking lot and wondering how many parking spaces are displaced because of it....has to be in the hundreds. Maybe this phenomenon explains why everyone seems to be at the grocery these days :)

It made me remember why I liked to have my groceries delivered, and I think I might just put in my order today. I have some coupons somewhere.....

Martie, PM, Jake and I postponed our little outing, so no pictures this weekend, but we'll get there eventually, no doubt.

I cracked right up over your CT school comments, Chelone. Sarah wore everything she owned to the bus stop!

I loved the kitchen redo, Eden! I especially loved the Strawberry Red on the stools. I am thinking that I could stand a mini-makeover with new curtains and such. I like peeking into your homes :) When I am with Nick and he is driving, I like to look into people's open windows and see how their house is decorated.

Well, Nick is stirring behind me....actually over my shoulder. It's tough working with someone who likes to wake and work, and I like to wake and salat, lol.

ttyl
    saucy

• deanneart
    15 years ago

Good morning,

Well it was a balmy -7F today when I got up. The birdies are here in droves and I cant wait for the sun to warm the blind up a bit so I can get out there with my camera. I still cant get over the numbers of Pine Siskins we have this year. From never having one here to hundreds of them is pretty amazing. The little Carolina Wren was parked on the suet feeder for a couple hours yesterday and I was glad that food was available to it. They dont do well with extreme cold and Im hoping it survives this cold snap.

Kathy, wouldnt I just love to be able to order my sunflower seed wholesale, you lucky person you! The hulled seed really eliminates the mess. What the birds dont eat the squirrels do. I still have to pick up piles of Niger seed hulls though but the finches really love that so I keep those feeders filled as well.

Chelone, yes indeed do bundle up today when you take Wrecks for his walkies. Its wicked out there. ~~~ So happy you like the fluffy Junco. Thanks. I really love the Nuthatches as well. Last year I had both Red-breasted and White-breasted here but only have the latter this winter.

Saucy, Im with you, I like to get up and chill in the mornings. Takes a bit for the coffee to kick in and do its work

Eden the kitchen is wonderful!!!!

Julie, bummer about the flu bug. I hope all are recovered now.

Woody, where do you keep those two gigantic pots of EEs?

Michelle, I cant get over how many really horribly cold days youve had this winter. Makes our weather seem warm by comparison. ~~ Bummer about that audit. Hope all goes well.

Denise . Love that Cal Lane Art! Wouldnt I just love to have one of those wheel barrows in my garden!

Drema, glad the wallpaper steamer did its job. Im with you no wallpaper here. ~~ How neat youve got a great light set up going. Its therapeutic this time of the year isnt it?

Bug, just love the pic of your summer garden. Gorgeous!

OK must run,
    Have a great day everyone
    Deanne

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    15 years ago

TGIF!

Only minus 1 F here this morning and up to a balmy 5 F now. It's been years since I've had temps below zero at my house. Chelone, just this morning I thought to myself that we are raising a society of wimps. As far as I know, no schools were closed in CT today but the news had quite a few 90 minute and two hour delays-mostly in some of the outlying suburbs. I shouldn't admit this but sometimes it's because they can't get the buses started because of the cold.

Eden, I love the kitchen. Are you available to decorate my livingroom? I stink at decorating.

So I finally broke down and called the gas company this morning about the occasional whiff of gas I've been getting outside my house around the meter. Some days I could smell it and some days not but this morning it was pretty strong. Well apparently they don't take this stuff lightly and made me come home from work instantly after I called to meet the technician. As it turns out one of the fittings on the meter was loose. It took the guy 10 seconds to diagnose the problem and another 60 seconds to fix it. One more problem solved and one less thing to worry about.

I thought this was Martie's Logees weekend too. Logees doesn't interest me all that much but I was thinking about joining the group for lunch if they were going to the Vanilla Bean. Does anyone know if this trip is still on?

Allrighty then, back to work. Enjoy your day!

Sue

• chelone
    15 years ago

Wow, quiet today, guess I'm the only one at home looking for an excuse to take a break. I took a "before" shot of the Lab. and the plunged right in. I've been sorting ever since, a sampling of the diverse items follows:
    1.) lamps and parts of lamps. I have a lot of the flexible work lamps; cheapo "drafting" lamps.
    2.) drapery hardware and fittings.
    3.) stencil supplies, all manner of paper from carbon to dressmakers pattern paper.
    4.) fabric... you name it I probably have some of it.
    5.) notions; buttons, elastic, cording.
    6.) foam
    The Lab. is a pretty scarey place these days. I have 6 industrial sewing machines in there, 4 "home" machines (3 of them with all the attachments and the owner's manuals, they're "mint"). It doesn't take long for clutter to really clog up the room.

How is Jake doing this morning, Saucy? What is a cross bite and what does it do to a mouth over a lifetime? I suspect orthodontics has come a long way in the years since I was a kid. I recall how uncomfortable my best friend would be for a day when they used to tighten her braces.

I took Rex out for some "dog bowlin'" when I went out to collect the mail. Dog bowlin' is what you do to exercise a dog when the driveway is getting slippery. You call the dog to heel, make him wait while you "bowl" with the tennis ball, and then release him. He loves it, he takes off, overtakes the ball, grabbing it as he cruises by. He slows down gradually and then gallops back at a controlled pace.Works well because I am able to run him nicely going out to the mailbox or on any routine run out to the bahn and practice some basic commands at the same time. He's stoked because "it's all about him" for a little while. And it's fun. Rex is all about havin' fun. Ain't we all?

Good thing you called about the gas leak, Sue. Feels great to have one more annoying thing off the list, I know! I wish you'd take a shot of your gas fireplace. I'd love to see how it looks. Does is provide warmth to the room? My BIL has one and he says it can really take the chill off his room. I'll wager you don't "stick at decorating", either.

Woodie is probably practicing her printing. V. is busy chatting up the the convention centre and then retreating to her den to decompress. Wonder if Marty has been wheeled out on another field trip? (factoid: birds cannot control evacuation) In my mind's eye I can see the picture of T's "charges" inside the little tent... and now they're conversant, time sure flies. Wondering about Norma and Rebel and figure Marian must be "neglecting" her plants while Deanne toils in her version of Drema's botanical garden.

OK, it's back to work for me, I guess.

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

Hi all....I typed up a post yesterday forenoon, and thought I had posted it, but was distracted and when I returned to the 'puter I accidently erased it. :-(
    I had only reviewed it!
    Sooo, I shall try again.
    We had a low of 10F yesterday morning, and a light snow...less than 1/4 inch. The high was 16F. This morning was 6F, and it has reached 28 at 3PM. We are on an upward trend again, thank goodness. This cold weather has raised hobb with my fibro.
    I feel a little ashamed complaining about our weather, considering what all you gals are enduring!

All the talk about being read to brings to mind my dear little mother gathering her 5 chicks together in the evening and reading to us by lamplight. One of the favorite stories was Little Black Sambo, from one of the monthly farm magazines that we got . My granddmother gave me a large hardback, 365 Bedtime Stories book for one of my birthdays. It was stolen when we (Nolon and I) left a bunch of our stuff with one of Nolon's 'friends' when we were between homes. I also had a hardback Fairy Tale book. It was stolen also. :-)
    I have no idea how much of my keepsakes were lost at that time. I know my diary was amongst the stuff. I hope they enjoyed reading my private information! Some of it was extremely personal. :-(

Great to see more MIAs showing up. It's nice thet the IU discussions are bringing them back.

I have been giving considerable thought to the IU, both day and night,( when I cannot sleep), and I have come to the decision that I really must not even contemplate going. If it were at all possible for me to go anywhere this year, it would need to be the other direction, to my see my siblings. So, the room that dear Chelone had set aside for me, needs to be assigned to some one else who may need such accomodations. Chelone, I want you to know how very much I would like to accept, and how much I would like to be at your home, espacially. But I must be realistic. Maybe I can take a rian check?
    I want you all to know that you are welcome at our home, but be forewarned, it is in extreme need of TLC.

Yey! The sun is out! That will help my condition, both mentally and physically.

T, I am sorry about the elk damage. I suspect they can be lots more damaging than our deer.

Saucy, I can identify with your DH switching from bed to couch and back when sick. I do that a lot.I hope he is better today.
    LOL, about the 'line of cats' in the woods. I hope they will not become permenant fixtures, like here.
    Sorry about your missing weasel. I miss the foxes that used to be here.
    I saw 'my' Towhee again yesterday, and either a large hawk or an owl flew from one of our driveway trees when I was driving back in last Monday.

Chelone, I brought all of the tenderest plants from the back bedroom to the dinningroom before the artic blast hit here. I shut off that room. I also moved all the african violets from my bedroom, to the dinningroom, with the intent of shutting off my room also, and sleeping on the couch. I didn't need to do that afterall. The house stayed plenty warm enough without shutting that room off.

Deanne, I love your garden pic, and the Junco is adorable.

Marie, I love your garden pic also.

Drema, Good to see you surface. Your mention of Alden's catalog brings back memories.

Denise, those art work tools are beautiful, but I think I am too practical to have them. :-)

Yarrgh! Michelle! Your temps are horrible!

Woody, I didn't dig up my EEs . It is easier to start with new bulbs, and mine are the common ones, so not expensive.

Sue, good to see your bright greeting this morning.

Oh my, Julie. Your temps are even worse than Michelle's!
    But don't you love the bright sunlight on such cold days!
    I do hope all of you are better from the stomach flu. Did I tell you all that Nolon calls that condition "puzzle gut" ?

Eden, your kitchen redo is great. I espacially like the lettering on the frig door, but at our house it needs to say "an hour ago" , instead of "yesterday"! I am wondering, is the computer 'table' on a lazy susan? The legless chair is a neat idea...but then, you are full of 'neat ideas'. :-)

Hi Kathy...I hope you are done with your dental visits.

My word, Chelone...no functional thermometer! I have one in almost every room! I also have a bathroom scale. It is as old as the hills, but still works okay.

Okay, I skimmed, and I know I missed a bunch. Hi to all that I didn't address!

Marian

• triple_creek
    15 years ago

Norma and Rebel are hibernating. LOL It's cold here so we are not venturing out any more than necessary.
    Chelone I need to get in your Julie job mode. You are accomplishing a lot around the compound. I have a couple of areas that desperatly need attention. Actually I made a good start and then had to leave it a couple of days and now don't relish the idea of starting again.
    I've been playing a bit to much with my mandolin and new laptop. I also have a book I'm reading.
    I'm trying a wireless internet connection which works ok, but I'm not sure I like the plan. I have thirty days to opt out. I'll give it a try.

It's been good to hear from some Idylls that haven't checked in for awhile.

I am thankful for each one of you that post. I enjoy reading everyone. I have just become lazy about posting.
    Well maybe I have just become lazy period. I need to get some regular exercise and stir up the metabolism a bit.

I hope everyone is managing to stay warm. Waving to all.
    Back to my book for awhile. Norma

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Hi there Norma! I too am reading a book. It is like nothing I've read before because it is science fiction, something I shy away from. It is written by a local person and was recommended by a friend for our book club.
    Our group is meeting once again on Monday to discuss The Book of Negroes. I expect this will be a lively meeting because everyone has already reported loving it!

Tomorrow we have company coming and they'll be spending the night here. The beds are made and the vacuum has made a quick trip around too. I'll be baking lamb, oven french fried yams, baby bok choy and I think some home made cranberry sauce as well. I have a lemon tart ready to eat too and some fresh berries to put on top. There's a bottle of wine as well.

Dear son is trying to do the right thing to help wind down the company by contacting people about their orders all over the globe. It is a tough thing and he wants things to end morally and gracefully, a hard thing when much of the work is on a volunteer basis and the hard core money makers don't even recognize the enormous work they have been doing. So I guess DS is finishing up on a week by week basis. It was a job he was totally committed to.

DD is enjoying their sunroom project still and marvels that the bitter cold temperatures are being kept at bay even though the job is not yet completed. It was -11C outdoors but +5 indoors. Today she was shoveling the front walk when DSIL came home and scolded her. She is not supposed to shovel according to him....

I hope each of you has a fabu-fabu weekend.

Here's another photo to remind you of other seasons. This one was taken in 2006, on DD's birthday, the day DSIL proposed.
    {{gwi:146571}}

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Hello friends, and welcome Friday. I had briefly considered a couple of hours at the awfice tomorrow, but I think I tabled that idea as we are looking at another sunny and unseasonably warm weekend here, so must continue yard cleanup and rose pruning. There is a slim possibility of some rain next week, but in the meantime Im going to have to haul out my hose and do some watering this weekend. Not good.

Wonder how long Chelone will sustain her frenetic pace in the Compound cleaning project . Im becoming more awestruck with every passing day-could it be that Julie will be beaten at her own game ? Hope Rex was fully appreciative of his outdoor play on the tundra today- Perhaps he needs a stylish outfit ala the Cynthia kids- something in lime green or hot pink perhaps so that he can be picked out streaking through the woods when he escapes from Helpmeet?

Went back tonight to peruse Edens kitchen redo at a slower pace than my last view- I think the red cabinetry looks smashing ! And I love the drawer pulls too, those are a style I have always liked. Concurring with Chelone re:the checkerboard floor. Well done Eden !

Marian I have been determined to buy one or two African Violets this winter, but have yet to find any decent specimens anywhere. I expect as the stores gear up for Valentines day there might be some fresh stock available. Regrettably, my tooth ordeal is not over yet, but I have no more procedures (other than cleaning) till May. The bone graft I had in December needs 4 months at least to heal before the next step in the process.

Hi Norma, glad you poked your head up ! I think its ok to have a lazy patch one in a while. I always feel guilty though. Lol. I find it almost impossible to read a book during the day unless Im on vacation. Daytime reading is always magazines or newspapers (or seed catalogs, lol)

Splendid shot bug, so refreshing to see when the garden is just sticks and dirt.

All for now, hope all our Idyll friends in the chill-zones are keeping warm ..

Kathy in Napa

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    15 years ago

I've been having trouble staying connected to the Internet the past couple of days. Today it was pretty much non-functioning most of the day. We think maybe the router has died/is dying. At the moment, my computer is connected directly to the cable modem which is helping but doesn't fix the problem completely. It's frustrating to have Internet problems when you're taking a course via the Internet!

Saucy - I was skimming and missed the details where the woodpecker comment came up - because I'm paranoid about losing our ash to EAB, the word woodpecker sets off alarm bells for me!

Re EE - because they seem to want so much water, it's easier for me to grow them in pots instead of in the ground like you do Marian. It's a bit of a wrestle but it's not too hard a job to get them out of the pots at the end of the summer. So I let them dry out in the basement and then restart them about now. I started with only a couple of big bulbs - or roots - or whatever they are properly called. The original 'mother' bulbs rotted and the 20 or so I have now are various smaller sizes as they are offsets from various years. Some of them are getting to be quite big. I like the pots to have a nice full look so I make two big pots - one for the driveway and one for the patio. I start the bulbs in 12" pots indoors and then transplant them in late May into the big pots. I'll be putting 10 bulbs in each big pot!

gb - which science fiction book are you reading? We both like sci-fi. Have you read and of Robert Sawyer's Neanderthal Parallax series (Hominids, Humans, Hybrids)? Fascinating books - an alternative history/alternative universe sort of thing. He's a Canadian author so there are familiar locations for settings.

Chelone why do you have so many sewing machines? What do you intend to do with them?

I desperately need to do some printing practice this weekend :-) Doing the scale drawings for the practice exercises has taken up so much time that I've not had time to practice the printing - but I'm at the point where I need to start using it so I'd better do some practice!

• chelone
    15 years ago

Gee 'bug, that picture is just lovely. The only peonies I have here are doubles and that perky, crepe paper, confection is handsome. Definitely out of your gahden as it's accessorized with the clematis. What're the varieties?

Marian, I am of course disappointed by your announcement. But you know and are able to judge your circumstances better than anyone else. Should you pick up a dropped lottery ticket on the sidewalk in town and it proves to be a winner, know that there will always be room for you under this roof. We specialize in dispensing rainchecks here on the Compound, Marian. ;) We share the common trait of "circling the wagons" and "hunkering down", too. I smiled at your willingness to relocate the tenderest plants in the event you decided to shut down rooms as a conservation measure against the cold. Reminds me of something I'd do here (and be teased about after the fact).

I was thinking about how difficult it is when deeply personal things "go missing", esp. books that carry such tender memories. But perhaps the treasured book of fairy tales and 365 Bedtime Stories has brought the same untold delight to several children in the ensuing years, encouraging a love of reading. I have a lovely volume of Andersen's Fairy Tales I purchased for a quarter when I was about 9. It has lovely, full color illustrations and probably dates from the first decade/two of the 20th. century judging by the plates and the language used in the text. I've not been able to locate a date in it. It was a favorite at the time and has continued to travel with me from residence to residence over the years.

The industrial machines all perform specific functions, Woody. One overlocks raw edges and will join pieces if the safety stitch function is threaded, the blindstitch performs the single thread invisible hem stitch, one is a button sewing machine, the others are "regular" machines (lockstitch), but are designed to handle different weights of work (one for lingeries and very light work, another for upholstery/awning work, etc.) and perform at different speed capacities. My fleet of "home" machines are either inherited from deceased family members or have been given to me by friends (?!) who continue to indulge "my habit". I just love machinery, and am esp. delighted by the completeness of the early home machines which were far more than a "hobby" at the time of their manufacture. To the woman of the house, the purchase of one represented an ease and creative freedom that made the important (but often mundane) function of sewing for the family considerably easier. They are, for me, a little window into a world that once was. Not unlike an Aladdin oil lamp, or a good set of mixing bowls, measuring spoons and cups! or a woodstove. Sadly, because they lack reverse and "the fancy stitches" (the ones no one ever really uses) they hold no cache for beginning sewers, even though they are of vastly superior construction than machines available for lots of "cabbage" nowadays.

Rex went ballistic yesterday afternoon, barking to beat the band and racing up the stairs in a frenzy, Mohawk standing fully erect from the top of his heat to the base of his tail. I let him out on the deck and watched carefully out the back window. Lo and behold! Foxy Loxy was mincing over the snow heading off into the vast hinterland behind our home; several hundred acres that encompasses a rather large swamp. The helpmeet reported deer tracks in the BIL's yard and no doubt that's an attractant for an under exercised canid. I think any sweater I might create would be quickly shredded, we don't call him Wrecks for nothin' (he don't need no stinkin' coat). I have, however, contemplated making him a collar trimmed with some of the reflective tape I discovered in my cleaning frenzy yesterday. Anyone need reflective wrist or ankle bands for dim light "walkies"?

I would like to be eating supper at 'bug's today. Lamb is my favorite. Mmmm :)! I'd pass on the yams, though, not big on sweet unless it's for dessert; I'm only just acquiring a taste for winter squashes.

What're you readin', Norma? And I think serenading Rebel with the Mandolin is a great way to while away the hours until the cold lifts out and the great outdoors once more beckons. When you feel like it the cleaning will still be there, too. Trust me, I know. It will be interesting to see how you like the wireless internet hook-up; you don't have an option for cable internet, do you? did you also try DSL (I can't remember)?

So Woody, how well do professsors accept the "my internet connection went out" excuse? ;). I understand the necessity of printing clearly on blueprints, but I have to say, sometimes it can be hard to read after they've been handled several times.

Rose pruning sounds infinitely more fun than working, Kathy. And all the talk of indoor gardening pursuits reminds me to share the exciting news that we now have one (count it!) potted Amaryllis bulb residing on the southwest windowsill. Our very own botanical gahden, watch out Deanne! ;)

Still wondering about Martie and now beginning to wonder as to the whereabouts of PM, as well. Oh well, they'll come home, wagging their tails behind 'em, no doubt.

Time to rustle up some grub now.

• saucydog
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I think the sky might be described as Cerulean this morning, and the moon in it is sparkly like a gem. What a wonder to wake up with that in my window :) Zeus paid it no attention while he hurried to do his business! It's cold out there.

Norma, what an idyllic picture of you playing Mandolin to Rebel. Now there is a bed time story in the making.....

Chelone, a crossbite (remember, I'm not a dentist) is when your upper set of choppers rest INSIDE the lower set, instead of outside of the lower set. Each time Jake would close his mouth, his teeth would not meet, and when he would force them closed, it wracked his jaw. This would set him up for tooth and jaw problems. They put in a palette expander and actually widened his upper jaw. His braces look perfect on him. He's in the perfect stage of life so that they fit right in with everything else :)

GB, that's a beautiful combo! I am yearning for green right now! Sarah and I were just remarking how fun it will be to wake and throw on our shorts and go outside for the day!

Well, everything I wanted to say has seeped out of my head. I'm sure when I hit submit, it will mysteriously all return. I'm off for some coffee and figure out what this day holds.

TTYL

Saucy

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

Good Morning all...

My morning weather report: I went to bed at 19F outside, and got up to 31 ! Not bad... But windy. Clear.Lovely sunrise:

{{gwi:146572}}

Saucy, I wish this view greeted me as I awake, but it is on the opposite side of our house.

Norma, good to see your post.I suspect you are among those who have had sub-zero temps.

Marie, science fiction was once my favorite reading. I liked those type of movies also, and still do to a certain extent. I guess it is still the child in me?? Very out of character for the rest of my reality mindset ( other than my faith, that many do not consider reality).:-)
    Your menu for your company is so differant than anything I am acquainted with. I would like sampling it. I like trying new foods.
    I hope all works out well for your DS and his project. It is very admiral what he is doing.
    One of the perks to our son and his choice of lady friends...she has got him into doing benevolent work. He very much enjoys it, and has 'grown' because of it.
    I agree with your DSIL, DD does not need to be shoveling snow!
    Beautiful pic. Great combo.

Kathy, I am not envious of your warm weather and needed yardwork. I love the rest from such outdoor responsibilities. At least my wood and ashes carrying does not include biting bugs!
    I hope you get your much needed rain.
    Sorry that you continue to have dental woes. For me, the cleaning of my teeth is bad enough! Espacially after my last experience.
    I hope you find some pretty African violets. I have some duplicates, and would gladly share with you if you were close by.

Woody, so sorry about your internet woes. I hate when that happens. Like some others here, I was having problems evening before last. Espacially with GW. It was very slow opening, and I was getting all sorts of extra stuff at the top of the page. My Phishing scan was working over time. I thought it was the problem, but it wasn't.
    Yes, I plant my EEs in huge pots. Years ago I planted them in the ground. I think I will try the upside down thing with this year's bulbs. I liked the result from the one that I boo booed on last year. :-) It put up so many more shoots than the 'correctly' planted one.

Chelone, I will surely keep the rain check...who knows...I just my use it some day, before I get too decrepit.LOL
    That would be such a wonderful experience for me.

Re: the ancient books..Tim so very kindly attempted to find a copy of the lost 365 Bedtime Stories for me, on line. Not knowing the author of mine, the one he came up with was not the same one. He purchased it, and gave it to me. He got it from Amazon.com. It is a standard sized book. Mine was like the 'coffee table' books, wide and flat. The one he got me was well used, and shows it. It was originally a library book, from Columbia, Ohio Public Library.

I have several keepsake books. Most were my Grandmother's. They are, of course, originals. One is Robinson Crusoe,1882 printing, by Mary Godolphin, with colored illustrations.In words of one syllable.
    Another is Belford's Annual, copyright 1889. It is " Profusely Illustrated". It is full of short stories and poetry.
    A third is : Masterpieces of Art Literature and Song. Inside it says: "Masterpieces of Poetry, Art and Music....of....Choice Literature, Masterpieces of Art and Superb Songs
    comprising
    The Best Productions of the World's most Brilliant Men and Women, immortalized through their works of genius.
    ....Beautifully Illustrated by the Best American and European Artists....."
    It has no date in it, and I am not sure if it was my granddmothers. Mama gave it to be after Grandma's death.
    All of these books show their age, but are still intact.
    I have other very old books also, but not with the nostalgia connected with these.
    I am almost certain the Fairy Tale book that I 'lost' was Andersons. Can you post a pic of yours? I think it may be the same as mine. I could probably have Tim locate one of them for me also. He has no qualms about ordering over the internet...I do have, and have never done it.

Here is a pic of many of the relocated plants:

{{gwi:146574}}

I left room for the puzzle ..LOL. ( I have been working on it off and on....)
    I am envious of your Foxy Loxy...lol. Your discription of Wreck's Mohawk reminds me of Tommy! He has a ridge of hair that stands up on his back! I enjoy your accounts of his antics.
    BTW, I think we are quite alike in out frugality, but I still am incapable of throwing things away.

My last pic is the scene out of the,now defunct, dinningroom slider, wednesday morning:

{{gwi:146577}}

Marian

• gardeningmary
    15 years ago

Good chilly morning

It is 3F with mighty winds this morning and frost patterns all over the window panes. I'm glad we have a leasurely start to the day. A good morning to linger over coffee.

Yesterday after I finished up work a friend and I braved almost as cold temperatures to X-country ski around one of the larger ponds in our favourite park. Although windy we were so well wrapped and working hard we didn't feel the cold. The blue sky, shining sun and glittering snow made it magical. It was like skiing through Narnia and I half expected to encounter Mr Tumnus or the White Witch.

Today while David is playing in his orchestra I am off to purchase tickets for the LA Guitar Quartet who are coming this February. I am really looking forward to hearing them play adn will splurge for good tickets. We then need to take David's bass into the shop to see if they can fix a very annoying rattle. He has an important music exam coming up and I'm hopeful this can be remedied without weeks of work. Cold weather and dryness from heating wreak havoc on wooden instruments.

Norma - how wonderful you are enjoying the mandolin. I've always fancied one being a violin player but at the moment my musical energies are turned towards helping the children. Good to hear from you.

Marian - I'm sorry a trip to IU6 is not going to work out. Perhaps you could plan ahead for next year instead. I know from my own experience how disappointing it is when circumstances prevent you from doing something so fun.

Saucy - welcome to Jake's braces. Annie is at the other end of the procedure and it has been a long, long road. She found out on her last visit that instead of February they are not coming off till May. I wondered if a couple more months could make much of a difference but her tears told me otherwise. The plus side is her smile looks fantastic.

GB - your lamb dinner sounds delicious. Perfect for a cold night. I had such a laugh with the Porn for Women and enjoyed sharing them with Annie. Great photo!

Eden - your kitchen make-over is fabulous. Paint can make such a difference and your whimsical details add such warmth and charm. It looks like a place where people are happy.

Deanne - I've been looking back at your amazing shot of teh Junco. The way every feather is distinct and clear is incredible. What skill you have!

I was feeling in need of something reminiscent of summer and had a few fresh apricots and made this for dinner last night. Needless to say we didn't eat it on the patio.
    {{gwi:146579}}

Hoping Martie is OK and will check in soon.

have a great day

Mary

• denisez10
    15 years ago

Peonies are as exotic to me as agaves are to some of you. I'd guess C. durandii are the bass notes. Norma, reading and playing music doesn't sound "lazy" to me at all. I loaned my acoustic guitar to some of Mitch's friends who visited over the holidays, retrieved from waaay back in the closet (I never play it). When Mitch returned it, he said the musicians were in raptures over it. The female musicians loved the way it fit. Of course, it made me want to try it again, even going to some chord sites on the Internet, but I have no musical foundation on which to build and always just "fool around" with it and frustrate easily. It's an old Martin I've had since forever and had no idea it was so prized. Like Chelone's sewing machines, stuff was just made so much better a couple decades back.

Marian, what a nice table you set! I'd like a cup of tea to go with the puzzle and violets, then I'd sit at that window all afternoon watching the snow fall. I have a gorgeous old book called "Women of the Bible," a violet cover with orange art nouveau design with the printing gold embossed. Found at a thrift shop along with a beautiful collection of old books that must have been donated when a relative passed on. The owner must have been a dyed-in-the-wool anglophile. Lots of Hardy, the Bloomsbury writers, and a leather-bound first edition Oscar Wilde. There was also a Frank Baum (Wizard of Oz fame) children's book.

Running on here, but I went to check the name of Baum's book (Queen Zixi of Ix!) and decided to grab the Women of the Bible book and google the publishers. Found this site Here's their photo showing an olive background, whereas I swear mine is a violet background, the gold-embossed letters outlined in violet too: Great stenciling ideas on sites like these.

{{gwi:146580}}

Well, I've fooled around too long with that and must run but will check back later. Like Saucy I had other stuff to comment on but got completely derailed! But Eden, the kitchen looks fabulous, full of interesting ideas and personal touches. I remember reading a comment you made about the desire of having things to look at versus a pull in the opposite direction to "declutter," something I'm familiar with too. I think the kitchen hits a lovely balance in that regard.

Waving...

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Yesterday a few juncos appeared. It was such a surprise to at last see some birds! They must have enjoyed temperatures above 10F, although that didn't last long. Today I have seen about a dozen out there, all juncos, nothing else.
    A strange thing happened near the feeders too. I let Phoebe out for a run and suddenly she found a grey squirrel! The squirrel was pretty much buried in deep snow and Phoebe, terribly excited, actually reached it and began licking it like she does the cats. I imagine it was hungry and near freezing. She probably wanted to do more damage but I told her to "leave it" and the squirrel finally made it up a tree. I really don't want any squirrels here and that's why I don't plant nut trees. But watching her kill one...I'm not up to that.

As to the flower combination, I'm not sure which peony this is. It could be Krinkled White, Lotus Queen or Cheddar Charm or even something else. The clematis is Durandii.

Chelone, I make these yam chips because they are healthy, not because they are sweet. I certainly add no brown sugar or other sweet to them. If anything, perhaps a bit of olive oil and rosemary, but usually nothing.

Woody, the book I'm reading may be out of print, but perhaps it can still be located. It is called Commitment Hour, by James Alan Gardner. The title refers to the fact that the people in this 25th century world must decide at the age of 20 whether to live their lives as male or female. (Up to then they alternate years.) Most of Earth's population has long since departed with the technology that made such a journey possible. Life is simple, especially for the main character, Fullin, who is a gifted violinist. But Fullin appears to be in for trouble already on page 55 where I am stuck for the moment.

Well DH is off to the recycling centre and then a haircut. I must begin to organize for our guests and set the table etc. When I began that task earlier, I got distracted when I found a mouse in the pantry. :(

Marian, your African violets look far nicer than the ones I saw at the store the other day. I loved some of the colors they had, but the plants themselves looked mighty tired.

We have wind chill warnings here. I can't wait for this weather to break!!!!
    'bug

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

I was slow out of the gate this morning, and my coffee with the Idylls is behind schedule. I hate oversleeping but I was exhausted last night so I will forgive myself this time and move on with my day.

Norma, I love my wireless internet-not only is it fast but DS and I dont have to share an internet connected computer anymore, and its also nice to be able to move around the house with my laptop , including outdoors if I wish.

Denise you reminded me of my excitement when I moved to Nor Cal at the prospect of being able to grow Peonies-egged on by the plant-porn photos in the WWF catalog . I promptly bought 3 our first year up here, and soon discovered that bloom time is all of about 2 weeks (1 for tree peonies) and this zone is clearly borderline. They are all long gone, except for the tree peony, whose blooms are so exquisite that I dont mind only being able to look at it for a week, but is one scrawny plant, and in 15 years it's never had more than 5 flowers on it at a time.

Lovely sunrise Marian-like you , my boudoir is on the west side , although the door to my awfice looks east and I am often already at work when the sun rises, so I can view from there !

Ok, I need to get the show on the road , back later ! Wish I had a slice of Marys pie for breakfast

Kathy in Napa

• cynthia_gw
    15 years ago

Variable internet today so need to type fast! I think it was 3F everywhere. Very rare to get single digits here, but truly if it gets below 20F it's all just too COLD. It hovered in the teens in the afternoon but I could tell no difference.

I pulled out my humidifier last week and it came on at high speed, controls wouldn't work to change the fan level, and when I unplugged it to reboot, it croaked completely. Haven't found one I liked to order, so the humidifier I have running now is a lobster pot full of water on the stove. It puts 8 gallons of water into the air in about 6 hours and fogs up the kitchen windows nicely.

Eden your kitchen is perfect! Love the floor, the different colored cabinets, the potholder valance and chandeliers. You do have such a good sense of the fun and the functional, and not overdone. Really really nice.

What can I say about Deanne's bird photos that hasn't been said before? The detail always stops me in my tracks. Where were you when those Canada geese were flying into the plane engines? They would have stopped everything and detoured to pose for you. (I was pleased that none of the newspeople called them 'Canadian' geese.)

I think Marian has found the perfect use for a dining room table. Plants and puzzles.

Great to catch up with Drema and T. I wish I had some wallpaper to remove, that steamer would pump more humidity in the air too I'll bet.

Mary, that pie looks yummy! I might drizzle dark chocolate on my piece.

I had a home visit above Baltimore today so had to do 95 North and was a little worried about overflow traffic from the Obama train. On my way up at 2PM all the overhead signs were flashing 'Obama inaugural event at capacity use Inner Harbor' but fortunately no apparent traffic impact on the highway. Police cars were sitting on top of most exits like 9/11. Hope did the visit (her first!) and did a good job getting the cat to hiss, and scaring the sweet boy Corgi. (Tell me about Corgi's Denise!) He was trembling, and showed teeth once or twice when she got too close too him. I'm fine with teeth and growling, it's doggy talk and better than going right to a bite. And frankly Hope-Liz (pronounce Hope-less) was not respecting his space. She's got that huge height advantage and it was intimidating him a bit. She also knocked down photos on the coffee table with her nose. All and all an excellent demo of a wild dog recently off the track. Much better than taking perfectly mannered Dannie along and getting their expectations set too high. And Hope is fine in my house, but I don't have Corgi's and coffee tables to tempt her limits. She was nicely distracted by the gorgeous greyhound in the fireplace and spent a whole lot of time checking her out. (Glass doors, yep it was her. Hope-Liz-Narcissus)

I'd better send this before my Comcast tanks again.

Have a good evening! Hi to all -

Cynthia

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Not much action around these parts today..Ive come in from the outdoors having dispatched another chunk of Lady Banks , and spent some quality time with the weeds in the hell strip too.

So is the humidifier thing to compensate for dry heated indoor air in winter ? Not a common appliance out here, even during our dry summers.

I keep scrolling back up to look at Marys pie and Marians violets

Took some photos this afternoon in the garden !

Creeping Phlox is always early to bloom
    {{gwi:146581}}

Scilla coming up

{{gwi:146582}}

Hellebore

{{gwi:146583}}

Doobie takes a snooze

{{gwi:146584}}

Kathy in Napa

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

We are having Ricks family over tomorrow afternoon for his birthday. I still havent gotten this house back in shape. The laundry is starting to look pretty good. The sink and some touch up painting is all that is left to do. DH is off to pickup some cabinets that he plans on using to make a home office. He has a desk as part of the kitchen cabinets, but that is just too small. So another project starts. Hopefully, it wont involve me too much and will give him something to do this winter.

The temps have improved here into the mid-20s but its windy. It feels good just to stay indoors.

bug, I tried a different recipe for cranberry sauce that we really liked. It had pears, cinnamon and allspice in it.

Im not seeing many birds this winter, I believe they are all in Deannes yard.

Deanne, thanks for the concern. I do have a winter survival assortment in the trunk including ski pants, boots, shovel, sleeping bag, warm gloves etc.

Eden, Im assuming that you saw the comments I made on your kitchen on the last pictures comment space. I really adore it.

I have a copy of the 365 Bedtime Stories around here from my youth. Denise, the Women of the Bible book is quite lovely. I really like the colors.

DH still isnt home and Marys lovely pie is making me awful hungry. Theres chili in the crock-pot that is smelling pretty good.

Marians pretty blooms remind me of the pelargoniums that are blooming in my basement. Oh, I have a fuchsia Dollar Princess that has a few blooms on it as well.

I told Kenzie when I was there that I was making a bedroom for her for when she visits. I told her it was the "Garden Room" Not only is it going to have a cottagey feel with the trellis quilt, but it has a whole card table full of succulents. Im still going to paint the dresser in that room white and hang an antique oval mirror above it. The closet needs cleaning too, but thats no fun ;o)

Not much happening here Kathy says. Hard to believe when you actually have things blooming outdoors!

In case the weather is cold where you are, Ill leave you with a beach picture. As you can see she loved being buried.

Michelle
    {{gwi:146585}}

• veronicastrum
    15 years ago

Caught up again! Good thing it was a slow day here. Yesterday we packed up the trade show booth, which is always a fussy project, and this year we were a couple of hands short so it took some time. I caught the 7:30 train, and ended up sitting with a customer that has a reputation for being quite unpleasant. But he'd had a glass of wine, the rest of the train had had several glasses of something, he shared a chocolate chip cookie with me and the ride passed quickly. I was quite worn out when I got home.

Denise, I was thinking of you and Marty when a man in a motorized scooter approached our booth. Instead of looking past him, I looked him right in the eye, smiled and said hello. And he responded by saying that I and the other two women in the booth looked like we might be swingers and he'd like to get to know us better. LECH!

I had a pleasant surprise when I set out for breakfast on my own Friday morning, and ran into a friend from town that I had not seen for months. We had a great visit, and then ran into each other at lunchtime.

Friday morning the temp at the house was -24F. Good thing I was in the Loop where it was "only" -10. Despite the cold, I snagged two abandoned coleus at the end of the show, stuffed them in a plastic bag and then into a nylon briefcase, and they made it home alive!

Remember last month when I linked to Ketzel Levine's NPR interview with Christy Webber, the Chicago landscaper? I saw Christy on Thursday. She said she's been amazed to learn how many people listen to NPR. The interview also included one of her foremen, Harry Jenkins, an ex-con no one would hire, who is a volunteer boxing coach at a local youth center. After the interview, Harry received a Red Lobster gift card large enough to take ALL the kids out to eat, as well as many cash donations. There was NO pitch for money in the interview - it's just nice people trying to lend a hand. How cool is that?

I've been working on addressing the "Save the Date" cards for the kids. This is my warm-up calligraphy job before the main event. So far, it's going well. I am using a marker to do these addresses since it is less formal. I hope to use my fountain pen for the real deal.

That's about all I remember now. I am pleased to see plans for IU6 moving along!

V.

• triple_creek
    15 years ago

GB, the book I was reading was The Year of Fog by Michelle Richmond. I really felt like I had read it before, but if I had it must of been a condensed version because I didnt remember all of it.
    The one you are reading sounds interesting.
    I'm surprised to hear some of you like si-fi. That is DH's favorite. He reads a lot.

It's nice to see a few warm weather pictures with pretty blooms. Our weather moderated a little today.
    I went out and chopped some ice on the little pond to keep the falls running. We had to pull the pump on the big pond because the skimmer was plugged up with leaves and starting to freeze up.
    Rebel stayed out most of the day. I suspect he was getting cabin fever too.

Woody, I hope you get the computer problem straightened out. I know you need it for the course.

Chelone ,dsl or cable is not available our here. I really wish it were.
    The wireless works great but I will have to be careful about to much usage. So whats worse waiting forever for things to download or not being able to view all the pictures and video I would like. Those really eat up usage.

Lol Saucy, Rebel doesn't really like my playing the insruments. On the otherhand Jasmine(cat) seems to enjoy it.

Yep Marian it was really cold here. Your violets look great. I haven't had any for a couple of years.
    Looks like you had a skiff of snow about like ours. We have not had enough for DH to even do any plowing this year.

Mary, cross country sking does warm one up in a hurry. I hope they can get Davids bass fixed up. I try to keep my guitar and mandolin in the cases when not in use. Especially since we have the wood heat. We keep water on the stove most of the time too.

Denise, my guitar is a Martin too. But a new one. I imagine yours sounds really good. I had a Taylor picked out to buy but, when I picked up this particular Martin the sound was just what I wanted. They develope their sound the more they are played too. I had no music knowledge either. Just determination. I still have a lot to learn. I hope you keep trying.

Kathy, I bet you are exhausted with all that garden clean up and the extra responsibilites at work.
    I'm liking the signs of spring at your house.

Michelle I can't help but smile back at Kenzie in that picture. Her smile is infectious.

Eden I hope you saw my comments on the kitchen in your album. It is really neat.

Cynthia, hows your sister doing? I like the nicknames you give your dogs. I hope that Hope didn't discourage the people you visited.

V, do you have to do a lot of trade shows? I imagine you are glad to be back home.

I'm yawning so I'm heading off to bed. Hey to all. Norma

• chelone
    15 years ago

The air inside our home is very dry, too. I have a pair of red velour pull on pants (sleazy "loungewear" from the thrift) and the static electricity has them clinging to my legs (helpmeet maintains they give me a "chicken leg" look). The cats protectively close their eyes and sort of flatten their ears when we reach out to give them a pat. No amount of water on the stove is going to hydrate the atmosphere for very long... but maybe a few loads of hanging laundry will help!

Kenzie looks so cute up to her neck in sand. How long did it take to get the sand out of her suit, lol. I love the idea for the garden room, too. Will you share progress with her or will you opt to keep it a secret until she arrives, Michelle? This is the time of year I always regret not rescuing a few geraniums from the windowboxes (but I'll manage to get over it). Interesting about the cardtable with the succulents as I've been eyeing cacti with more than just idyll curiosity on several visits to Orange. This is definitely the time of year for home improvements and renovations, isn't it?

I know that very dry conditions can be tough on older furniture, too, really fatiguing the hide glue and varnishes on them. Humidity conditions fluctuate widely here from summer through winter and I can only imagine the difficulties similar conditions can pose to expensive musical instruments. I love all the interesting things shared here. I suspect I would be fascinated by the trade of musical instrument repair. There was a neat story abou the Martin Co. on NPR not too long ago; it was fascinating.

I was sidetracked in my cleaning frenzy yesterday. The sight of an accessible sewing machine and clear cutting table made me want to undertake a project. I did some quick yardage calculations, tucked the list in my pocket and went to the worst fabric store in the world (the only one left that had a hope of stocking what I needed) where I stood in lines for nearly 3/4 hr. waiting for cutting and checking out. I delved right in upon my return, spending 4+ glorious hours doing something FUN. It's my hope to finish it up today; a profitable way to spend a snowy day. Somewhere in there I will stuff the roasting chicken we'll be having for a mid-afternoon dinner.

I laughed at Hope's antics on her inaugural ambassadorial mission. I think a healthy dose of reality is good for anyone contemplating removing a mature dog from the welfare rolls. Like you, Cynthia, I am not particularly bothered by growls and curled lips. It definitely gets my attention, but that's the point. People too often forget that dogs are fluent in the language and we're just first year students of it. Several years ago we had a Corgi in the shop daily for some months. I quickly surmised he was a dog meant to perform work and quite capable of doing it with minimal human intervention. My boss found him frequently frustrating but I had no trouble with him. I was firm with him about what was OK and what wasn't and we got along just fine. Never underestimate the value of a beating. It will be interesting to hear Densise's "field trial" experience with her very own canine dwarf. ;)

Fun to see shots of emerging spring chez Kathy. I don't think there's a humidifier large enough to deep CA adequately hydrated, is there? Somewhere out under the frozen white expanse that covers the Compound there are bulbs waiting to delight ... I think!

• gardeningmary
    15 years ago

Chelone - you are rather mysterious about your project - will we get to see the finished result? I have been up early working on something fun too. Just came to put another program from the BBC Radio 4 internet site on while I stitch. I'm wearing some super unflattering fleece "lounge wear" too right now.

What a wonderful picture of Kenzie - a little warmth on a cold morning.

V - heart warming story about the Red Lobster card donation. NPR brings out the best in people:0)

Back to "work"

Mary

• gardeningmary
    15 years ago

Finished! - a beaded birthday card for my sister. The background colors are off as using the flash burned out details so I took it without to show the sparkle of the beads.
    {{gwi:146586}}

Right - I should now be very housewifey and start tidying and cleaning as we have company for dinner tonight. The request was for Shepherds Pie which is good comfort pie for cold weather. But perhaps I'll do just one more card first.....

Mary

• chelone
    15 years ago

Mary, that's delightful! A friend (now deceased) made me some of those cards some years ago. I've horded them jealously, using them only for very special occasions. And I've always thought it would be fun to make them, too!

And yes, I hope to be able to share the fruits of my labor with you later today, or maybe tomorrow...

;)

It's something I've had a hankerin' to do for many, many years now. It ties in nicely with my Neo-Victorian mind-set, and it is very timely... any guesses from the peanut gallery?

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

Just a quick read this morning but I want to give it a guess Chelone. My thought is some sort of patriotic bunting for the Inaguration celebration?

Mary, love the card!

Back later, promise!

Eden

• cynthia_gw
    15 years ago

I thought maybe a flag, but think Eden's bunting guess is better.

Mary that card is a beautiful art piece. There is no end to your creativity, and time is better spent on that than housework. Are the leaves stiched?

• saucydog
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I like that Mary! I can't quite figure out how it's done, though...is it stitched to the paper, and then paper to card? Beautiful gift!

V., I used to dabble in caligraphy! What a nice gift to give to the young couple. You'll be well practised by the time you switch over to the quill!

Kathy, it sounds like fun to get out in the garden and look for signs of new life and clean up for the upcoming season....only 6 more months and I'll be joining you, lol. Ok, not that long, but it feels like it.

We got fresh snow this morning and my husband opened his eyes from sleep and looked over my shoulder out the window, and he got a glimmer in his eyes and mouthed the word, "snow" and smiled. For a moment I think he thought he was 6. Then you could see the meaning dawn on him, "I have to move that snow...."

It's a pretty snow - it's sticking to the trees, which gives them a highlighted look.

I wonder how GB's dinner went? It's sounded delish :) Chelone, I have the same sweet veggie aversion, but I like sweet potatoes the way that GB describes. I think I've been a victim of one too many sweet potato casseroles covered in burnt marshmallow!

Mary, I'll bet Annie has a million dollar smile :) That reminds me that I need to take a "before" shot of him just starting out.

Nick and I stayed up last night and watched "Things We Lost in the Fire" with Benicio Del Toro and Halle Berry. What a heart wrenching story. Really it was the actors who made the film so raw....the story itself was a little outlandish. Is there anything Benicio is not good in? I think I'm a sucker for a big head of unruly hair, lol!

Well, after that little musing, I think I'd better go freshen up my coffee. Oh, before I go, though, I never heard back from the book club. I've decided to go another route: Food with Friends. I have 5 people interested, we'll go from there. Premise is that we meet monthly to just have a good time, no husbands, no kids. Wish I'd done this earlier in life :)

Saucy

• veronicastrum
    15 years ago

Free to a good home - one husband, slightly used. Does like to watch "Dances With Wolves" until 3:00 am.

Mary, the card is lovely! I can't wait to see what Chelone has up her sleeve. No guesses from my sleep-deprived brain this morning.

Addressing the cards was much harder under artificial light, so I need to get on that this morning. Then I need to get my head back in gear and figure out what else is up this week. And maybe pot up a couple of coleus.

Enjoy the day! It's sunny here, but only 4 F.

V.

• triple_creek
    15 years ago

Mary the card is wonderful. Suitable for framing too. I imagine your sister has a nice collection of handcrafted things from you. Have they gotten reasonably restablished after losing everything in New Orleans? I bet Ivan and Iris are really growing up.

Chelone, I'm guessing curtains for your lower base cabinets?

Norma

• gardeningmary
    15 years ago

Chelone - a muff to keep hands warm perhaps? I think they were popular in Victorian times.

Thanks for the nice comments on the card. It is fiddley but really fun to do.

Mary

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

I am guessing that Chelone's fun project is related to the Inaguration. Eden's guess is mine too.

Saucy, this is the only evidence left from last night's dinner. I was hungry, so it is out of focus... There was lemon tart and all sorts of pastries that our friends brought, but I sent the leftovers home with them because I can't have that around without nibbling. For breakfast I watched everyone eating chocolate croissants and cinnamon buns...while I ate cantaloupe and strawberries. :(

\{{gwi:146588}}

Although it snowed last night and our lane needed plowing, it is a pleasant 26 F this morning. A heat wave!

Mary, what a lovely card! Much more fun than preparing for guests...

Michelle, that's a dear picture of Kenzie! Yes, it is awful being a long distance grandparent. I hate goodbyes... I also hate goodbyes at Idyllunions.

Later,
    'bug

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Visiting with the Idylls before I head out to TJ's this morning. Put African Violet on my list, as they have them sometimes.
    I was guessing that Chelone was recovering one of the chair collection, but liked the guess of bunting !

Mary that card is wonderful-before I read the post I thought it was an art piece for the wall, lol !

Welcome home V ...how was attendance at the show ?

Back later...

Kathy in Napa

• jak1
    15 years ago

I guess I missed the Idylls yesterday - TCS had a friend over; they are both members of 'Club Penguin' and I couldn't get near the computer all day. Actually got out my sewing machine, did some trouble shooting, got everything straightened out and sewed the hems on several pairs of jeans. This was prompted by DS who received some 'special' brand name jeans for Christmas and wanted them hemmed. He wouldn't wear them until they were hemmed as he didn't want to get the bottoms all raggy. When he explained that he didn't want to ruin them by dragging the bottoms on the ground, I had to retreive my teeth from the floor and check to see if my hair was curly. I just couldn't let this moment of sanity on his part pass, thus the sewing machine caper. While I had it out, I decided to go through my closet and do any mending necessary - this also resulted in stain removal and ironing. Felt good today to have something decent to wear! Also came across a pattern for a flannel jacket, plus all of the saved pieces of flannel to make it with. And a quilt top that could be machine quilted if I knew how to machine quilt. A new adventure, I'm thinking. And twenty quilt blocks already quilted, ready to be assembled, to match the living room of the house we sold 4 years ago. But it would still be nice....

Yes, now I remember, this is what retirement is for.....I'll be thinking.

Meanwhile, I am determined to clean up the storage room this week so I can at least plan what I am going to start in terms of seeds. I can't really start anything until the middle of February as we go away to a ski resort for the second week of February and I know that whoever is left behind for the dog(s: We usually keep DD's dog at this time too) would never tend seedlings; but once I am back, it is on the road to Spring, and I can start seeds.

Haven't read the last posts so can't comment. But I will. Later!

Cheers,

Julie

• gardeningmary
    15 years ago

I just returned from David's guitar lesson when my good friend called. She suggested that as they had entertained yesterday their house was still spotless and would we like to come over instead of having to spend the day cleaning here. What a great offer (she knows me well!) So I just need to cook (which I enjoy) and spent the afternoon talking around the kitchen table with Annie and David, listening to a new classical gutiar CD and making more cards. Here are the results:

My Mum loves hedgehogs
    {{gwi:146589}}

and flowers
    {{gwi:146590}}

Saucy - the cards are made my pricking holes onto cardstock, then sewing the design with a single ply embroidery thread using bugle and seed beads. Parts are somewhat reminiscent of Spirograph - one of my favourite childhood toys. I mounted the stiched card onto a folded card in a coordinating color, cut to fit some envelopes I had on hand.

Off to the kitchen to start on the pie.

Tomorrow I will clean.

Mary

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Well, weve hit the big 7-0 today, and I found myself doing un-winterlike chores such as watering and mowing the lawn. I feel as though Ive been transported back in time to San Diego. Doors and windows are open , and the succulents that I brought in for the winter are enjoying day-camp outside. 2 oclock beer (1 hour late) is poured and next to the mouse. My raincoat hangs hopefully next to the back door.

Michelle, my friends and I all loved to be buried in the sand when we went to the beach as kids, the pic of Kenzie brings back memories ! We always wiggled our toes as a pre-cursor to removal.

Julie kudos to you for accomplishing my most hated chore-hemming stuff. Perhaps DSs request is a sign that the saggy-baggy era is drawing to a close . I have a quilt top that I made when I was preggers with my DS (shes 26) that is not finished. Dont feel too bad !

Going to read the paper and make a veggie salad for work lunches next week

Where are PM and Martie ? And hoping that Cindy isnt caught in traffic !

Kathy in Napa

• denisez10
    15 years ago

Mary, the cards are terrific.

About the snarling corgi, yes, I'm afraid Ein's greeting to Hope would be similar. He ceased being friendly with other dogs as he matured. Being a small dog, or possibly because of the herding hard-wiring, he has a spatial awareness that's almost cat-like. Can't speak for all corgis, but he's definitely a one-dog show. We are his herd, and he works hard at greeting each of us when we come home at the driveway gate, tearing off down the driveway to announce our arrival to those at home, seeing off all departures. I remember our newfs wagging their plumy tails at the gate when we'd return home but nothing like Ein's energetic performances. Hope may not appreciate living with such a little general. (but I thought Hope was part of the permanent menagerie?)

V, sorry your eye-contact kindness backfired on you. That louse! Lots of penmanship issues lately between you and Woody. I'd be hard-pressed to do more than a scrawl. My mom still has the most amazing penmanship that never changes over decades, while mine becomes increasingly illegible.

Saucy, absolutely, Benicio can do no wrong ;) I'm seriously miffed at your book club. Did you return the questionnaire? What'd they want, a dissertation on The Great Gatsby? good riddance...

I've been meaning to try sweet potato fries, they look delish in the photo. Lamb we try about once every 2 weeks ;)

Just had one of those odd, 21st century experiences, where Mitch calls from New York to have me Mapquest him via my computer as he tries to find his way on foot to Bowery and Delancey Street. I tell him you should be crossing Suffolk, now Norfolk, then Essex, there should be a nice park on your right, etc. He's had lots of input from magazine editors, one woman saying he's completely on the wrong track, another saying he's finally hit his stride, so he was knocked off his perch a bit trying to reconcile completely divergent criticism but seems to have found his equilibrium again judging by his mood today. I doubt I'd be able to earn a living being constantly open to criticism like that. He'll be renting a car to D.C. but foregoing any inaug parties -- too expensive to rent a tux. I guess U2 is playing on the mall? Cindy might know more of the details.

Julie, Isn't it amazing how something as mundane as preferring non-frayed jeans can represent a life change ;)

Norma, I've left the guitar out in the office as a visual reminder to practice. This office is now filled to the gills with visual reminders! Maybe I'll try Post-it notes instead...

Michelle, that photo really shows off how Kenzie's heart-shaped face is maturing. The garden room sounds perfect for her.

Deanne, your savitzii is enormous!

Denise

• veronicastrum
    15 years ago

The save the date cards are all addressed and ready to go! Phew...

V.

• chelone
    15 years ago

I love hemming things. Frayed hems on jeans were de rigueur when I was in Jr. High. Then (probably because we grew quickly) came the era of adding 2" wide decorative trims to the hems of jeans. And then your's truly mutinied and began rolling her jeans up to expose her collection of argyle socks while proudly sporting her blue and white saddle shoes (which I kept polished). What a tool!

My favorite alterations to perform are:
    1.) shortening sleeves (love tailoring!)
    2.) replacing zippers (esp. in trousers)
    3.) hemming (coats! that tailoring thing again)
    4.) pocket replacements
    As for the criticism thing, when you work in a trade that requires it you get used to it or you find another line of work. Criticism works best when it's delivered concisely and is restricted to the WORK. When it becomes nit-picky or personal it ceases to be effective. I have a mental switch that I flip "off" when the criticism over how I trim threads or fold the corners on things is brought up. Mostly because after 30+ yrs. I'm confident in my ability to perform those things efficiently and neatly. Some of my earlier employers were rightly withering in their criticism of my work... sloppy doesn't cut it in my trade. Attention to detail is the name of the game.

No 70s here yesterday, Kathy. Another 6-8" of snow with a brief interlude of rain and then back to snow. Everything is looking clean and fresh now. And the Huge One had lots of fun snuffling through the powder. Litter pan use is on high and I've been mining at least 3 times/day, no sooner do I finish than another cat comes running to make a deposit in the fresh litter. :)

We had a roast chicken, mashed potatoes, and a vegetable medley for "comfort food" yesterday afternoon. I emerged from the Lab. only a few times, once to make the stuffing, and a few others to brush the top of the bird, and lastly to eat. The helpmeet was problem solving: a critical seatbelt buckle malfunction in his car, a careful scrutiny of a bookshelf that had developed the sags over time (now lives in his work area as it's beyond easy and attractive repair), and his first long look at the looming window casing project.

I fear my keyboard is giving up the ghost slowly but surely. It will be time to go next door and see if the BIL has one he can spare. The shift keys are increasingly stubborn and the enter key is now on strike.

V., I love calligraphy. I've never tried it before but it really looks as though it could be exhasperatingly fun. ;) How many envelopes did you have to address?

I have to get rolling, busy day ahead for me full of not-so-meaningful work, including a dreadful seat recover for a customer who has been a complete PIA for nearly a year now. We can't finish the work if he doesn't call back with the final word on the how he plans to reattach the completely rebuilt seat frame for his stupid boat, since attaching the foam and stapling the cover in place means we have to know which set of bolts he plans to use...

• deanneart
    15 years ago

Good morning all,

I'm pressed for time today (so what's new) but wanted to let you all know that the annual 'Thumbs' (Thumb Your Nose at Winter Party) Party will be held on Saturday,February 28. All Idyllers are invited. If you think you'd like to come please email me. Oh yes, spouses and partners are invited of course.

Have a great day all
    Deanne

• cynthia_gw
    15 years ago

The concert on the mall was yesterday, and yes Denise, U2 was one of the acts along with about a dozen other acts (Springsteen, Gospel Choirs, Garth Brooks, Beyonce, and I swear I heard Aretha Franklin singing Nessun Dorma, but that may have been a preview). It was an HBO event but local NPR was allowed to broadcast it so I was able to listen to most of it. Estimates are that 400,000 people attended, and they cut off access while there were still lines for miles. The Metro held up! It was in the 20s yesterday so much more tolerable than the past week, but I heard that the California tourists were singing 'We will survive' and jumping around to stay warm.

GB, your meal is in line with the inaugural lunch planned. Mixed game birds instead of lamb though, and lots and lots of wine!

Mary, so glad you posted more examples of your cards. The designs are striking!

Michelle, loved seeing Kenzie's happy face in the sand. It warmed my day yesterday. Wonderful memories for you.

Kathy, my hellebores have had enough of the cold and looking quite stricken. The buds are still there, but don't want to open and and some of the leaves are limp - very unusual, but it's not usual to get extended single digits here.

Denise, my dogs get to do home visits and open houses as their 'job' but also for their own entertainment and continued socialization. Hopesy Dopsey isn't going anywhere! She has healed my heart and Dannie's . Katie did more than 50 HVs, her last was in April and when she tripped on the front threshold, I knew that was her last. She was such a sluthound, she loved people more than any grey I've known. Dannie took over after that. Hope and Dannie will alternate visits now. The purpose of the visit is to educate about safety, training and behavior, and to help folks dog proof their homes. Basically show potential adopters first hand what it's like to have a grey in their home. When they're first off the track these dogs have had no home experience so they walk into windows, counter surf, eat anything in their path. They're full grown dogs with the house skills of puppies. Other volunteers screen and educate by phone for an hour or more, the adopters have to read two specific books about greys, and another if they have children, we check references too. Bascially screen out the folks who are thinking about adopting on impulse and for whom greys might not be the right breed. It works.

So where are the photos of Chelone's mystery project!? Day off here so I'll be checking Idylls often for the big reveal.

Have a great day everyone!

Cynthia

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Cynthia, Phoebe sounds very similar to your girls. She is a huge one, but still a puppy. It is hard to remember this at times.... I would not have decided on another puppy had I known that DH would counter my every effort at training. I did not have as much trouble with him last time. These days he travels less and so I have the conflict daily. Her adores her and plays wildly. She peed on the rug yesterday in all her excitement. Honestly, instead of commands he says "Please?" For me she sits at stairs and waits for permission to "Join Me!" If I say "No", she understands. Not so with DH....He even encourages her to jump up on him, indoors too. That is just a real NO for me, especially when company arrives, some of them frail. Who needs 70 pounds of enthusiasm hugging them without warning? Just plain irresponsible. GRRRR. I sent him to training and he also fought the trainer's attempts. Sigh.

Book Club tonight...so DH and Phoebe will no doubt eat dinner together. Maybe I'll leave them both kibble... ;)

Later,
    'bug

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

Good Morning, sunny and nothing falling from the sky for a change. Thank you all for your kind comments on my kitchen. Marian, you were correct that the chair is a lazy susan and that's a little tv sitting on it. Chelone, Brad used a brush to paint the stools with left over paint from the cupboard. There's a gray primer that has to go under red paint too. As for the frig message, that was just me messing with Brad. He's been trying to lose a few pounds but always seems to be checking out the contents as if something will magically appear.

Michelle, it made my day yesterday to see Kenzie's smiling face. I'm hoping you'll share more pictures from your visit. I think the garden room for her is such a great idea. Can't wait to hear more about that.

Saucy, that book club is losing out by not following up with you. Your plan B sounds better anyway. I've found that clubs that are so selective seldom turn out to be as great as they think they are.

Woody, when I was in architecture school many moons ago I remember our printing getting a bit flamboyant. I think the name of the computer font used these days is graphite? I hope you share what you're doing with us here. I'm very interested.

Cynthia, I'm so happy that you and Hope have found each other. She seems to be the perfect addition to your family!

Mary, thanks for sharing more of your cards. I loved the hedgehogs. I've still got my mind set on trying some of your little felt animals one day.

Sounds like Chelone spent the day yesterday working on her project. I wonder if today will be the unveiling?

Marie, Sarah's dh was right to worry. She really shouldn't be shoveling snow at this point I don't think. I'm excited about you and I having our new grandbabies so close in age. They'll likely only be a couple weeks apart you know.

V, calligraphy is on my list of things to learn someday.

Megan's boyfriend is in DC for the inaguration. His family is quite involved in politics here in MI. He called her a couple of nights ago from the home of a congressman that they were staying with down there.

Whoever said that it's good to have a project I totally agree with. Our latest is redoing the pantry we've created in our stairway from the kitchen to the basement. In a small house you use every available space for storage. Brad's finishing that up today and he goes back to work tomorrow. I'm happy about that. My sister's on her way over for some shopping and lunch so I'd best get going. Have a great day.

Eden

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

Just read Marie's post and it reminded me of something I wanted to share. Jenni and Randy have started Magglio's second phase of training school. This time he'll be learning to jump through a hoola hoop. I think she said that has something to do with learning trust. The dogs also have to each learn a trick that's to be demonstrated on the last night of class. Jen says they're thinking about either having him bring them a diaper and baby wipes or the car keys and her bag for the hospital.

I also forgot to include this link on my other post. I thought this was really cool!

Eden

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

Me again...

Woody, the writing style shown in the linked video is how I remember printing.

Eden

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville