Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A Garden in 2010

Posted by gardenbug Ontario, Canada (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 4, 11 at 8:05

A year after our grandson Reed passed away, I began a garden in his memory. It was to be mainly ornamental grasses, but a few Anemone blanda bulbs were added for spring interest. I added a bird bath and orange Echinaceas, some sedum and other items as the spirit moved me.

Here are some June shots:

Then July. Caging became necessary when the rabbits started chewing things.

View from the woods.

August...

September: It is definitely developing into an Autumn Garden.

October

In the wind...

And now I am curious as to how it will evolve in 2011!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A Garden in 2010

That sure did a lot of growing this year! Looking good... I love the cloche - Was it just an ornament or protecting something in particular? I think it should stay in the bed all season. It pairs nicely with the birdbath - the bulge in the 'stem' of the birdbath and the curve of the cloche mirror each other nicely.

o

I like the cloche too. It was mostly decorative. Then it broke with the first frost! :( I've had it for a long time and will miss it. Maybe I'll find another!
I enjoyed the Amsonia a lot this year, even before it changed color. The Japanese blood grass was fun with it too. The orange Agastache doesn't show up as much as I'd like. I hope it returns next year!
Have you begun your course yet?

o

What a lovely little garden. You have lots of great colors and texture going on.

o

I love this little garden with all the textures and colors! I'm sad the little cloche broke, though! Hopefully you'll come across another.

I need to take a cue from you all and photo a garden through a season. I think it could really help me in the winter when I'm wanting to plan for the next season.

Saucy

o

I love your garden. What a wonderful commemerative to Reed. I think photographing the garden is a great idea, too. Do plan to add anything else? I've seen some great sedum groundcovers that have a lot of the colours you have in the echinacea, etc. That was a nice cloche. Too bad it was not more frost hardy. I'm getting my camera out for next Wednesday , when it's supposed to be sunny again.

Yeona

o

I love Reeds garden too Bug. The textures and colors are just right.

o

Such interesting and beautiful colors in Reed's garden, Marie. These are colors I rarely use but I really like it. This was it's second year, correct? Next year it should really come into it's own. Beautiful job! Sorry about your cloche.

o

Bug, what a wonderful rememberance for Reed. I love the colors, and the way you have it laid out. Good job!!

o

A beautiful tribute to Reed. It's coming along so well. I like how you've added interest for all seasons.

o

Marie, I really look forward to the development of this garden next summer, it's a great combination of plants..keep us posted !

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here