Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenbug_gw

Idyll #302: The MAGENTA Theme

gardenbug
17 years ago

Maybe because valentine's day is approaching, maybe because winter gloom has been lingering here, but MAGENTA is a hot topic to pursue this week in my opinion.

Here's a new rose for me last year, Reine des Violettes.

{{gwi:146794}}

Check out the various shades at the URL below to brighten your day! Lots of other information there as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shades of Magenta

Comments (102)

• honey_mi
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi yall! Heres my contribution to the Magenta theme:

{{gwi:146831}}

Good news! The upholstery portion of the headboard is complete and DH and I arent dividing property! Actually, the collaboration went quite well. It was time consuming and tedious b/c we havent a clue what were doing, lol. If we were doing it again, Id definitely do it differently. The result is just fine, especially for $68. Theres a hitch tho b/c of DHs engineering changes to the frame, the legs arent strong enough. So DH is going to mount it on the wall and make something to complete the back side of the platform frame for our bed. Hopefully, this project will be completed this weekend.

Between chores, etc., I havent been able to get here. Also, Ive been babysitting my GN and will do so again on Friday. Im glad its the end of January and our project is almost complete. Im itching to get into my garden books in depth.

Thats it from me today. Carry on.

• chelone
    17 years ago

My favorite Bob Seger tune is "Night Moves". I was in my early 20s when it came out and it cracked me right up. Now, years later, I understand the poignancy of it thinking of someone I loved now dead.

I never saw any concerts in the GaHden, but we regularly arrived at North Station on the Budd Liners. I attended many Ice Follies shows, Bruins games, and a performance of the Lipizzaner Stallions that mesmerized me. The helpmeet assures me that the men's room at the GaHden had a gutter in it... no urinals. LOL.

Weather is cold here; the golf course is a sea of ice, and the road unappealing.

I recovered 4 patio chairs today... a really easy, fast technique involving pleating at the corners. Tomorrow I will embark on the first phase of a very involved set of cushions for the cockpit of a very big sailboat (there are 7). All are closed cell foam (flotation foam), and that means there is no "give" in the foam... the covers either fit or they DON'T. My least favorite foam, but technically (professionally) the most rewarding... after the cold palms and nervous sweat. ;)

We have declared war on the electric bill. We have installed those outlet strips with the red shut offs at the major sites of electronics. NOW, when we're finished with an appliance it will be truly shut off... not permitted to act as a "vampire"... sucking juice to be there when we need it... "solid state" is an expensive "convenience".

I've not talked with my brother about Mum's "first day at school". The wicked part of me is secretly revelling in his discomfort and the subsequent relief that comes when you solve a problem.

Spencer was wild today... foolishly, I played with him and he "got me"! right down the center of my nose, lol. It bled like there was no tomorrow! I have a jagged scab to remind me of just precisely how fast a confined cat can be. ;)

No magenta... just coagulated burgundy.

• dodgerdudette
    17 years ago

Hidy-ho everyone. Just a few quick notes tonight as some household chores are calling .

V , you have more stamina than I do ..I go to about 4 to 5 shows a year but nicely spaced out . This year is maybe Orlando in March, Las Vegas in August and again in Sept, Portland in August. Maybe Spokane in Sept. I always come home exhausted because one never gets enough sleep at these things .

Wendy thanks for bumping up Deannes driveway thread-I stumbled upon that a few weeks ago and then couldnt remember where it was. Very fun to look at !

PM , the daylily pic was a little misleading because I took it when the flower was fading so the color of the bloom is really much darker. If you go over to the daylily forum and look at some of the pics posted there you will be amazed at the incredible colors. There is one called Little Grapette that has similar coloration.

Honey thats a very handsome Dahlia pic and good for you on the headboard project. Pics soon right ?

Hi to everyone must run

Kathy in Napa

• wendy2
    17 years ago

Ei, Bob Seger did sing "Turn the Page" - those first blistering sax notes brought down the house - that is one of my faves too. Good luck with the job; when I was kid I wanted to be a librarian; I was a real bookworm and I spent a lot of time at the library. I still love libraries. Put a positive spin on your resume gaps, cite something like "independent study" or "creative projects".

Chelone, "Night Moves" is another great one - "I awoke last night to the sound of thunder - how far off I sat and wondered" that line just gives me chills. Took me a while to figure it out too. At the concert, he played "Horizontal Bob" and "Fire Down Below" back-to-back, an absolute stoke of genius. He said he had not played "Fire Down Below" yet on the tour, he was saving it for Boston. Almost all the music I like is "old", 60's and 70's mostly; and if I do buy a new release, it tends to be by an artist or band that has been around a long time. It still shocks me to hear songs that were popular when I was in high school on the "oldies" station, I do into denial mode "That song is not old", then I start counting back...oh well. LOL on the lobster races, I can remember my grandfather doing that on the kitchen floor. I don't mind cooking lobster, but I prefer them baked and stuffed and served to me in a restaurant.

Who is Adam and what have you done with prairiemoon2?! Seeing that old screen name gives me a chuckle - I think many of us were surprised when we met "Adam" at a plant swap and found out she was a woman! I agree that the new Garden is a definite improvement - I didn't see a single rat when I was there, and it was a bit cleaner. The view was great, but stadium seating at that height gives me a "top of the roller coaster" feeling - I'm not good with heights. DH still has a nostalgia for the old Garden, he has fond memories of his bachelor days and Bruins season tickets he had with his brother.

Taryn, nice to see you! Hope your boys and Glen are better soon and out of your hair. Seriously though, you are right that Glen shouldn't go back until he is really ready, the doc will surely agree with you. You have neighbors that raise buffalo?! That must be something to see; I've never seen a real one before. Love Gumby, and I remember HR too - especially the talking trees!

Sue, I meant to tell you that the outer banks is on my list of places to see someday. I've read books that are set there (Pat Conroy and Ann Rivers Siddons come to mind), and it sounds like a beautiful place. It will be a nice change from skiing - getting closer to a tropical destination!

Did I see V zoom through here clutching some great plants and a birdbath?

Been on here longer than I meant to, must see that things are together for the AM. Hi to all I've missed!

-Wendy

• cynthia_gw
    17 years ago

Do not put eggs in your pockets. They fall out when you lean over. Fortunately Katie was nearby to clean up. What's interesting is that she won't eat the eggshells when I include them with her meal. But if they're on the floor they're high value treats. (Eggshells very good source of calcium for the pupcakes by the way.)

How many more days until Spring?

I was at Home Depot tonight returning something and they had their spring bulb display at the door. I was surprised to see lilies that looked just like Eden's pretty magenta ones, so I bought a few packages and they will probably bloom...orange.

Hi everyone, stay warm! Cynthia

• cynthia_gw
    17 years ago

Oh! Is that teasel with the snow cap GB? Whatever it is, your photo is stunning!

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Clematis, Cynthia! ;-)

• gardeningmary
    17 years ago

Hi everyone

has anyone noticed the longer a family member has been gone, the harder it is to get back into a rhythm together? We're delighted DH is home but re-entry can be a little bumpy LOL! Even so, we had a fantastic dinner out after picking DH up from the airport at a restaurant that has its own Gluten Free pasta menu. To have a prepared pasta dish out is such a treat - Annie and I were in heaven.

Taryn - wow, 24/7 togetherness plus kids home! Talk about the other extreme. Do hope Glenn is on the mend.

Our evenings just became busier as Annie auditioned to be in the school musical of Peter Pan and has the part of Skully the pirate. The rehearsals are from 6-8.30 PM twice a week - instead of curling up by the fire I could be at the wheel of the car. Combined with the fact that Annie's violin lesson has been moved to an evening, and all David's activities I think night time will become the most hectic part of the day. I'm not really complaining as the children are getting to the age where many friends kids are dropping out of everything, feeling it's no longer cool to be involved. I think I need to get on the phone and arrange some car pooling.

Cynthia - I often toss an egg shell in Clousseau's bowl and he eats them with relish. Now, I'm still trying to imagine why you might have put the eggs in your pocket.....

Wendy - how cool to have seen Bob Seger. Are your evenings crazy too?

Ei - I agree, the library would be a great place to work. I know several Mom's who got jobs at ours after the kids were in school and just love it. Good luck!!

Sue - will you ski at all this year? Too bad you're not here to give Annie and David a lesson. We went to Bristol Mountain down in the finger lakes on Saturday and they had a blast. I was nervous watching from the base as they disappeared off up the chair lift but you should have seen David's excitemnet after his first run down. I had never seen Annie ski before either as she has only been with school and I was impressed by how competant she looked.
    The last time I was at a down hill ski slope was in 1980's in the French Alps. I had a french boyfriend who did downhill ski racing and drove a Porsche. No regrets, just fond memories of a very different part of my life.

Martie - I love hearing all your plans for your garden and neighborhood kids. I must have missed it but did your brother enjoy his outing?

Hi Adam oops prairiemoon!! When I joined Gardenweb I really wanted to call myself by a flower but my favorites were all taken.

Haven't finished commenting but time has run out

have a great day everyone

Mary

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    17 years ago

"the longer a family member has been gone, the harder it is to get back into a rhythm together"

Mary, absolutely!!!! I always am reminded of how difficult it must be for servicemen to return to their families after years away and find that they did very well thank you without the "boss" around.

As the Mom, I found it so much easier not having to agree with DH on everything first, also so nice to establish meal times and clean up without his hours needing to be considered.

That does not mean we weren't overjoyed to have him back though!

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

Wow, Honey you dont let any grass grow under your feet!! Thats fantastic, headboard done already and Ive seen headboards advertised that do mount on the wall, so youre just in style that way too. Cant wait to see some photos.

Ei Drema posted some terrific job advice on the other threat Think MAGENTA, woman you are a glowing, bright, talented, individual with a tremendous amount to offer an employer spin all the positives for yourself re the library you must love working with people (I just know youre fantastic that way), love helping people, etc. all Magenta qualities vibrating with life. "spotty work history" is said "family obligations" or other personal commitments you had to make... not anything else I bet even without knowing your history. And if it doesnt come about, try not to be depressed find something else close by and charm them!! Job hunting can be terribly demoralizing to even the best, brightest and most qualified of people all too many jobs are decided within the first 5 minutes of an interview Ive heard Ive even been to one once where within the first minute, I felt wow, is it something Im wearing or is there something on my teeth??? turned out the guy had been attracted to another woman earlier in the day and already made up his mind to hire her like why he didnt cancel my interview I dont know it was a total waste of time and I can only remember feeling like there was something extremely personal about me he disliked when it fact it was simply he no longer was looking. . . . Go figure... The politics of workplaces is another whole kettle of fish the phony ads, the insider versus outsider competitions, etc. . . . Its totally a mysterious & grueling process. But youre a strong woman you can conquer it! End of more unsolicited advice. . . . Magenta! [It seems youve got a tremendous lot on your plate too re family responsibilities you need more helpers!]

Okay, Cynthia eggs in ones pockets. . . . . coming from a hatchery or something? Are you raising chickens now too?

Im sure the rest of us are terribly envious of you tradeshow persons we know its not glamorous and terribly tiring but. . . . . I bet you get some good loot, as V has hinted at. . . . plantaholics here are envious. Those sounds like great places to go to, Kathy too bad Phila isnt on that list this year -- maybe you can work a client visit in anyhow in July? Hint, hint. . . .

Are there any of us who do not have clay soil to work ("drill") thru?? Taryn, your soil sounds just like mine clay, clay, and more rock. . . .

Re music ensembles (for IU) sounds like a wonderful idea I have no talent in that direction I would be happy to be a delighted audience however...

Mary you make me tired just thinking of all that schlepping -- but guess it will be fun type, right?

So where's T, Marian, Deanne, and others these days? Do you think everyone is hibernating til Spring?

--Cindy (considering hibernation herself)....

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Hi, Cindy...Marian is getting snowed in..again, and still Googling and puzzling. :-)
    I have treked up to the mailbox, and have carried in all the evening's firewood,so am settled down for the night.

BTW, did anyone else have difficulty getting this thread to load today? I finally gave up on it this morning, but it seems better this evening.

Marian

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    17 years ago

An interesting idea in keeping with Taryn's and Ei's thoughts on the "Inconvenient Truth" film.
    The gist of this message from a French environmental group *Les Amis de la Terre* is meant to bring attention to the climate change issue.
    They ask that everyone turn off their power (lights/appliances,etc) from 5:55 to 6 pm (5 minutes) tomorrow (Thursday, Feb 1) in protest to urge governments to take more urgent action against energy wastage and hopefully decrease the impact of climate change.
    This protest is to coincide with the release of the UN report on climate change tomorrow in Brussels.
    It is hoped that the media will broadcast the 'lights off' event as it moves through each time zone around the earth to show the impact of global action. It's also hoped that this will make an impact on candidates in the upcoming elections in France & Canada, & elsewhere to encourage them to make a commitment for new environmental measures to deal with climate change impacts.
    Here's the group's website:
    http://www.amisdelaterre.org/-Agenda-.html

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    17 years ago

Good morning :-)

Yes, I noticed after I posted the other day that Adam showed up again. Someone resurrected a two year old post on GW that the Adam user name was used for and I had just signed onto GW with that user name to respond to it, rather than confuse people then evidently headed here and posted still signed in under that user name. Nothing like spreading the confusion around. [g] Sorry about that!

I can't catch up at all this morning. I have been typing a lot lately and have triggered significant pain in my arms/hands that I have to get off and stay off the computer for awhile. I have chronic problems with my muscle/nerves and overuse is something I am always trying to avoid and not always very successfully. I am sure you can see what a problem that can be for someone who likes to type long emails. [g]

Have a good weekend and I hope to be back around next week sometime.

:-)
    pm2

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    17 years ago

But since I probably won't be back before the Magenta thread ends, here is my only possible magenta contribution. :-)

{{gwi:146832}}

• martieinct
    17 years ago

Just plain good morning!

Ei: Here's another way to think of it: Our office was looking for a sales assistant. Someone who had some computer literacy, could politely answer a phone, could organize the many reports from five reps and a manager, order lunch for meetings, and generally be the balast in the sea during rock and roll sales days. We couldn't find a good one. Why? All overqualified. All wanting to "move up quickly." All not having any flexibility whatsoever in terms of what they would do day to day. Just yesterday a wonderful woman (we all met her, poor thing) was hired who had been out of the "formal" job market for 30 years. THAT'S what got her the job. No preconceived ideas, willingness to do just about anything, and a "mom" figure to us all. Sometimes Not knowing is just as good, if not better, than "knowing" anything!

Marie: Funny you should mention the lights out night. Kyle is in charge of it happening in his dorm and will undoubtedly call us at 6:50 as a reminder. The global community is getting ever smaller ....

Sue: You'll love North Carolina islands. So peaceful and largely unscathed. If you want action, and I mean real action, Myrtle Beach, SC isn't far away, but I'd stay in my chair with a good book just listening to the ocean :-)

Mary: Sounds like Annie and David are just great. Love the idea of a music night at IU4. Perhaps we could set up streaming??? Anyone have a camera with mike??? Still undecided in this corner ...

Chelone: Forgive my ignorance but having never lived closer than 40 miles to a large body of water, how can boat chair foam not squish? A friend whose dad just left her home after 4 years of caretaking went a different way to get home every night for two weeks just because she could and not worry about any extra minutes of "away." Your situation has prompted some talks with my parents. My mom still wants to be set adrift.

Lots of traveling today and snow predicted for this afternoon into tonight. Suppose I should find my car snow brush. LOL

Have a great day, everyone.

Martie

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Martie, we keep a snow brush, yes, but also a shovel, cat litter and sleeping bags in the back of our car during winter months.

Nothing exciting here at the moment EXCEPT THAT IT IS FEBRUARY! That means that the month of cupid and chocolate has arrived!

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Goodbye January! You are my least favorite month and I hardly noticed your passing this year. I guess that means it will be April soon.

Buried but reading,

Sue

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

We recieved a good 2 inches of powdery snow. I have been out 'playing' in it. LOL ! I swept off the front porch and steps, took food to the birds, swept off the car (with a broom), shoveled.. then swept.. off the deck, and the utility room step ( rocks). There is no wind, and even tho it is right at 20F it felt good. I'm sure Nolon would have liked to have done it, but his breathing is a lot worse, and he is using his nebulizer about every 6 hours.
    Since I was born and raised in a snowy area, I feel right at home in it.:-)
    I am hoping I will not be pressed into having to drive Nolon to his doctor. I am terrified of driving on slick roads, even though I did so for years in my youth with no serious problems. I hope all who have to do so are VERY careful, and watch out for the other guy! On the Springfield MO. news this morning there was an 8 car pile-up due to the bad roads. Thankfully, no deaths, but at least one serious injury.

Martie, your 'hiring' story reminded me of my experience. In 1974 a good friend asked me to go to work at the store he managed, working with invoices. I said,"What are invoices?" He said," You are just what I want! " I had never worked as a bookkeeper, but that is what my job was. He didn't 'train' me, he just showed me what I was to do, then left me to do it! I loved it, and I guess I was pretty efficient because when the head manager from Montana came, he told me to slow down or I would work myself right out of a job! LOL ! In a way, he was a friend also, since he was a member of our faith.

Forgive me for not addressing everyone's posts. I seem to be at a loss to do so at this time. I do read you all, and enjoy hearing all your thoughts and news.

Marian

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

Thanks everyone for the positive reinforcement about getting back out in the job market. I did work not that long ago for Dottys husband and it was a positive experience (they seemed to like my work and I liked working for them) but had to quit because the hours were so unpredictable and DH didnt like that I was working as a subcontractor (tax and benefit issues). I know that getting the job had a lot to do with being Dottys friend. And thats my real problem. I know that I am a capable, hard worker and take my work to heart, but because I never finished college and have such a spotty work record - I lack confidence when I apply for a job. I know how you present yourself at the interview makes all the difference, but when Im there in front of them, I get all panicky and start doubting myself. There are 3 positions open at the library right now. One is the head librarian's assistant (same position I applied for before). Interesting that they have gone through 2 HL assistants since I had applied for that job! Maybe I wouldnt have liked the position...LOL! The other position I was interested in is a Circulation Assistant. Maybe I will try for the C.A. rather than trying for the H.L.A. again....that is, if I get up the nerve to show my face there again! :-)

Cindy...I like the idea of being a Magenta! :-) Never thought of people in terms of colors. Im just being silly, I know, but it got me to thinking of people in terms of plants too! Hmm...Id like to say I would be a delphinium (tall, stately and dramatic) but Im probably more a forget me not; short and cheery, but maybe a bit too exuberant...LOL! BTW I hope you meant by "attracted" to the other lady you meant he was attracted to her credentials! If you meant it the way it sounds...geesh, that just horrible...you wouldnt think that kind of archaic behavior goes on anymore! Well, you wouldnt have wanted to work for somebody like that anyway; right?!

Mary - I always love to hear about your wonderful albeit active family. You are right, it is wonderful that your kids still want to be involved in so many things. They are wonderful kids...keep encouraging them! One of my biggest regrets....giving up ballet. I took lessons from kindergarten up to my teens years and loved it. My sister (who is 10 years older than me) paid for my lessons the first few years. Lessons in those days were $1.50 a lesson, but still was a lot of my siss earning power and I am always amazed at how lucky I am to have had such a generous, kind sister. Once I was old enough (at the ripe old age of 9...LOL) I paid for it with my own babysitting money. I was the official babysitter of all my cousins and there were a lot of them! :-) When it was brought to my attention by some "friends" that it wasn't "cool" to go to ballet I quit. Not that I would have ever been a real ballerina (not a lot of call for 5 foot tall ballerinas...lol). Still, I derived such enjoyment from it and when I think of that toned and disciplined body and how much I enjoyed being a part of the whole experience yes, I regret it...a lot! You made me LOL with the re-entry!

Oh Kathy, I meant to say...don't know if you figured out for sure which daylily you posted, but now that you say the color is faded in the pic, it *does* look like my Purple Rain. Mine is almost black it is so dark purple and I love the sheen of it. Ironic with the name purple rain...but I notice mine sometimes gets bleach spots. I guess from the sun hitting it after a rain...LOL! Being such a dark, dark color probably emphasize this. 'Little Grapette' is one of my favorite purple days and really like the smaller size of it. BTW, just wondering, how does the foliage behave on your daylilies? Just wondering if they behave differently in California. Not all - but a lot of my daylilies have to be cut back after flowering here or the foliage will flop. Was wondering if climate had any effect on that or if it is just the nature of some daylilies? Another purple daylily I bet you would like if you don't have it is 'Swirling Waters'...big (but not clumsy) flowers in a *gorgeous* shade of purple with a sparkling white line running through the center of each petal and a pretty chartreuse eye. I am not a photographer, so this pic of it is a little deceiving. It is more that purple color throughout the whole flower until it gets to the eye. Only the line running through the middle is white. I dont know why it looks so white in the center of the flower in this pic...probably the lighting.

{{gwi:146833}}

Which reminds me Drema...was it you or Cindy (cant remember for sure now) who wanted a piece of Swirling Waters. Let me know, whoever it was and I will mail out a clump this spring. Maybe a very *big* clump if we actually sell this house...LOL! BTW...my Bipolar ByGolly(s) are getting bigger and getting back to their real color now that they are getting more light! I just love them...thanks so much Drema! And thanks too for your words...I *did* take them to heart. Just have to remember to tell myself that over and over while Im on the interview...LOL!

Seeing Michelles gorgeous pic of her lovely purple geraniums reminded me how excited I am about combining them with your Bipolars....I think it will be a *beautiful* combination!

Cynthia...how thick did you cut your sweet potatoes? I made them much thicker this time and also brushed them lightly with olive oil. They took forever to dehydrate this time and weren't quite as done as the first time. Just wondering if I shouldn't have used the olive oil or if I cut them too thickly? Was excited to find that my dehydrator has a setting for flowers and crafts! :-) I will try to dehydrate some of my roses and peonies this year. I have some dehydrated peonies that I bought several years ago. They came smaller in size than fresh peonies, but I love the way they look, even now that they have faded to a beigey color....very antique looking!

LOL on the burgundy Chelone! Well, that's a lovely color too...except of course when it's oozing out of your skin...LOL! Hope it wasnt too serious of a cut.

Marian good to see you! I guess we are all just waiting for the spring to return. Right now I bet with all your beautiful houseplants its a sight cheerier in your house than it is outside! :-) So do you have some interesting facts to share about Idaho with us? I like to Google too...the internet is an *amazing* thing! I googled my full, real name the other day and was shocked to find more than a few hits! Thats a little scary and I dont think I like it. BTW...Im a big fan of that magenta Lychnis.

{{gwi:146834}}

It does re-seed, but I too dont mind that at all. Love the fuzzy foliage contrast with the neon colored flowers! :-) Unfortunately some have decided to re-seed under my thorny Carefree Delight Rose...about 25 of them I would guess. I keep saying I will dig them out of there and move them somewhere more appropriate, but I shudder every time I think of getting under the rose....LOL!

Bug...I have made a big note to myself to remember "from 5:50 to 6:00". I will be participating! :-)

PM...sorry about the aching hands...hope you feel better soon.

Oh heres a pic of my Therese Bugnet for Taryn. Sorry, I could only find this pic. She was pretty young here, but does tend to stay shorter than a lot of the rugosas. Lovely fragrance too...just like a rugosa should! :-)

{{gwi:146835}}

And heres my contribution to magenta or maybe just neon pinks! Warning to those with sensitive eyes...you might want to get your darkest sunglasses on...LOL! Do I enjoy bright colors or what? :-)

{{gwi:146836}}
    Oops...more posts since I started writing this! LOL Sue! My sentiments exactly! Marian! :-) I get a kick out of thinking of you playing in the snow! :-) I hope Nolon feels better and that you won't have to go out today...stay warm and safe!

Just sitting here waiting for my cable company to show up. Oh and as I speak...he is just pulling up...gotta go!

Ei

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

Typo alert...meant 05:55 to 06:00!

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

Oh wanted to ask...does anybody have any luck with the Cornus alternifolias? Have any advice to share on growing them? Im tempted by C.A. Golden Shadows, but have a friend who tried to grow Cornus alternifolia Argentea with not much luck. Seemed to have a lot of problems with dying back, disease, etc.

Oh and has anyone seen the new neon magenta Echinaceas; like After Midnight or the rosey red Big Sky Twilight? Did you see them at the show V? If so, what do you think?

Okay, the cable guy is getting ready to turn off the cable, so I guess I better go...

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

Ei - as we've said before, we must be flower soul mates... Im swooning over the Swirling Waters daylily photo [again] -- I know I was when I saw it in person too - it made my wish list & in fact I have not located it anywhere - so I'd love to have some pieces when you get around to dividing. 'Course I'd be happy to have slices of most anything in your Garden! So let me know & I'd love to have some - Yum! And yep, I have in fact ordered the Echinacea After Midnight - I was seduced...... I'll let you know how it turns out in reality. I really liked that Vintage Wine Echin. we saw being trialed at the CBG - in person, it was very dark raspberry (I managed to find at end of season last year at a local garden center - expensive - but a fool & her money....).

Interesting concept -- what would I like to be as a flower or plant? the Reality vs Fantasy thing would be an issue too for me. Gotta think what I'd WISH to be (something exotic from Heronswood's collection no doubt)... suspect I'd be seen more as some ordinary workhorse zinnia or something [worse yet, a weed, yikes], ha!

Re job interviewing - having done much of it over the many years of working, but being shy to begin with, I've learned that it pays to "pretend" the part -- in fact, maybe you need a little role playing w/someone - if you've ever done any acting, that's pretty much what you have to do - work on projecting & pretending confidence and enthusiasm -- I suspect it's somewhat similar to "psyching" that athletes have to put themselves thru before competitions -- but just know there are lots of weird folks out there doing the interviewing and be prepared for anything!

Michelle - I dont know if I said before, but I thought your container combos are exquisite!

okay, back to work... drawn in by the offer of Swirling Water.

--Cindy

• cynthia_gw
    17 years ago

Shouldn't that be 'sucked in' by swirling waters? Ahh. Ei, you have to blanch the sweet potatoes in the microwave before dehydrating them. I cheated and read the manual that came with the dehydrator. It said that the microwave is the best way to blanch. I'm still experimenting with this whole concept. The dogs are happy, but I haven't matched the chewiness of the genuine Sam's Yams yet so will keep at it.

How many days until Spring? I want spring back.

The eggs in pocket - that's because I don't have a kitchenette in the dog's basement apartment.... yet, so I was carrying two bowls of raw chickie in hands and eggs in pockets to add to Monty's kibble. His kibble is kept in their room. At first I was thinking a door in the wall to the bathroom down there, with a kitchen sink added; now I'm thinking a counter with cabinets and refrigerator and put the sink in the counter so could skip the door to bathroom. It would be like an in-law apartment. Could even put a handicapped tub in bathroom for doggie baths.

Ei, Library work sounds lovely! Keep applying, someone will recognize your value. I'm in the process of splitting my job in half with a fellow I've known and worked with off and on for over 20 years. (I won't get into why I've been so overloaded.) Anyway, I'm sure there were a ton of people qualified on paper for his job. Didn't matter. I know what he knows well, and I know what he doesn't know. And most importantly I know he can THINK and learn and take initiative. Show them you can think and learn and take initiative. Have you ever thought of volunteering at the library? That would show them your value and you'd be first in line for the next opening :-)

North Carolina? Plant Delights visit while you're there! My OLDER sister wants to go to Florida (I'm supposed to go too) in a couple of years when she turns 60. I wonder if I could trick her into going to NC instead. She's never been to Florida, so a beach and warm weather, who'd know?

Chelone, your experiencing what it's like when the kids go away to college or move out permanently. It takes a while to take advantage of the new way of life, and you vascillate between worry and exuberance that you're free at last!

I need a glass of antioxidents on a week-night.

Ciao, Cynthia

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

Platters - Twilight time

Heavenly shades of night are falling, its twilight time
    Out of the mist your voice is calling, its twilight time
    When purple-colored curtains mark the end of day
    Ill hear you, my dear, at twilight time
    Deepening shadows gather splendor as day is done
    Fingers of night will soon surrender the setting sun
    I count the moments darling till youre here with me
    Together at last at twilight time

Here, in the afterglow of day...
    we keep our rendezvous...
    beneath the blue
    Here in the same and sweet old way
    I fall in love again...
    As I did then

Deep in the dark your kiss will thrill me like days of old
    Lighting the spark of love that fills me with dreams untold
    Each day I pray for evening just to be with you

Here, in the afterglow of day...
    we keep our rendezvous...
    beneath the blue
    Here in the sweet and same old way
    I fall in love again
    As I did then

Deep in the dark your kiss will thrill me like days of old
    Lighting the spark of love that fills me with dreams untold
    Each day I pray for evening just to be with you

I just got back a bit ago from dropping off some homemade Beef Barley Soup to mom. The drive home was so pleasant...just me and Scouty in the car. The sky was just beginning to darken, but there was a magical lightness to it that reminded me of the song above and now I know what twilight time truly is....no wonder they sing songs about it! :-) The clouds were silver and almost transparent. I could see the moon behind a set of fluffy silver lined clouds and in an instant the moon rose above them...it happened so quickly I thought at first I imagined it! In the car this Dan Folgeburg song was playing:

There's a song in the heart
    Of a woman
    That only the truest of loves
    Can release
    There's a song in the heart
    Of a woman
    Set it free
    Oh, set it free
    Set it free
    Oh, set it free
    Set it free
    Oh, set it free
    There's a light in the depths
    Of your darkness
    There's a calm at the eye
    Of every storm
    There's a light in the depths
    Of your darkness
    Let is shine
    Oh, let it shine
    Let is shine
    Oh, let it shine
    Let is shine
    Oh, let it shine
    Let it Shine

Those moments of true peace seem to get farther and farther away these days, so maybe thats why I just let the song take me away...

I couldnt help but wish that I could pull a Groundhog Day and pop each one of you Idylls into my car, one at a time, and play that moment over and over again so I could share it with all of you! :-)

LOL Cynthia, guess I should have read the directions...huh? Im notorious for just "having at it" and never reading directions. Sometimes my system works, but lots of times as you see now, it doesnt. So blanching it will be! :-)

Chelone I dont think anyone could give a better comparison than Cynthia just did and I imagine thats *exactly* how it feels. I do understand the responsibility and love (that sometimes makes you feel guilty) that you have for your mother. But, be assured...you are a wonderful daughter and have done so much to make your moms days brighter...now you deserve to have sunny days too...if *spring* ever comes! :-)

Cindy...I thought it was you, but I wasnt absolutely, positively sure. Happy to share with you; anytime! Youll have to tell me all about After Midnight...maybe add some pics here when its blooming? I dont know if you are a Zinnia, I kind of see you as a rose - a soft, gentle, blushing David Austin rose, like my Sweet Juliet. But hey, theres nothing wrong with being a Zinnia either...I *love* zinnias! Your post reminded me of one of my favorite passages from Katherine S. Whites book Onward and Upward in the Garden. A great old time book...one of my favorites to read over and over...just for the entertainment value. She also happens to be the wife of one of my favorite writers; E.B. White. Here we go:

Perhaps my unhappiest moment was the discovery in several catalogues of a combination of dwarfism and giantism in the person of "Miss Universe, a brand new idea in Zinnias. She has stems only two feet high and flowers seven inches across." Poor Miss Universe! She reminds me of my own plight as a girl. I was short, with a great knot of hair at the back of my head. I had not particularly worried about my appearance though, until an old friend of the family said to me, "I suppose you realize, my dear, that your hair is a deformity." Remembering how I felt, I suggest that we do not deform the flowers or, for that matter, dwarf the princesses. LOL! Isnt she a hoot?

Well, I best be going...Ive got a juicy mystery novel that I cant wait to get back to...TTYL!

P.S. Bug I was right on schedule. Let me know if you hear the results of the protest. I would love to hear how it all went.

Good Night All! Ei

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

P.S. I guess I should have explained that Katherine was talking about here dislike for the trend (back in 1959) of dwarfing and/or making giants out of plants. She was discussing, in particular, about her displeasure with a Salipiglossis called "Dwarf Princess"...hence "dwarfing the princesses" at the end of the passage I posted. Good Night now! :-)

• dodgerdudette
    17 years ago

Already Thursday ! How did that happen ?

PM , bummer about your hand and arm pain. Frustrating when ones body does not cooperate with ones mind.

Marian, boy , Im not sure I can relate to 20F feeling good ! Fingers crossed here that you dont have to venture out in bad weather driving wise.

Ei, I looked again at my daylily pic and think it was actually Bela Lugosi based on the plants behind it. Purple Rain and Bela were pretty similar, though Bela was darker and the flowers were a bit larger. What I really liked about Purple Rain though is that it re-bloomed heavily in October. Love that Swirling Waters ! There is one on the Daylily Auction, but the pic is really bad.
    I have not experienced floppy foliage here after bloom, though some of them look a little ratty. I usually trim off the really crummy stuff, and cut off the bloomed out scapes too. I have only started growing them in the last two years though, and have added many many plants this fall and winter so I should have some better observations this year !
    I just love Therese Bugnet , wish I had a spot for her. I hope you will pursue your dream of working at the library ! I have interviewed and hired quite a few people over the years, and one of my best employees did not interview well at all- I never regretted hiring her though. I would think that your persistence in continuing to apply there would be in your favor. I once interviewed 6 people for one position, and they were all very qualified-it was difficult to choose. My point here is that just because you didnt get the job does not meant that you were an inferior candidate. Sometimes when there are many good applicants you just have to toss a coin. Maybe you should apply for a couple of jobs you dont really want just to hone up your interview skills ! And Cynthias idea of volunteering is a great one ! My BIL volunteered at the Mendocino County food bank, and he was an employee within about three months.

Yesterday I got one of my mail order roses-Lady Emma Hamilton which is new introduction here in the US from David Austin , and available only from his nursery in Texas. I have one more backorder outstanding , and that will be it for roses this year. Well maybe, I do have one more possible spot, which I will leave open for an impulse purchase.

Ok , Im outta here, but need to offer a little magenta first !

{{gwi:146837}}

Kathy in Napa

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

TGIF!

Still not much worth sharing going on around here. Work, workout, eat, sleep.

Sue

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Signing in, but same old same old in this part of the world.

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

April
    by John Greenleaf Whittier

'Tis the noon of the spring-time, yet never a bird
    In the wind-shaked elm or the maple is heard;
    For green meadow-grasses wide levels of snow,
    And blowing of drifts where the crocus should blow;

Where wind-flower and violet, amber and white;
    On south-sloping brooksides should smile in the light,
    O'er the cold winter-beds of their late-waking roots
    The frosty flake eddies, the ice crystal shoots;

And, longing for light, under wind-driven heaps,
    Round the boles of the pine-wood the ground-laurel creeps,
    Unkissed of the sunshine, unbaptized of showers,
    With buds scarcely swelled, which should burst into flowers!

We wait for thy coming, sweet wind of the south!
    For the touch of thy light wings, the kiss of thy mouth;

For the yearly evangel thou bearest from God,
    Resurrection and life to the graves of the sod!

Up our long river-valley, for days, have not ceased
    The wail and the shriek of the bitter northeast,-
    Raw and chill, as if winnowed through ices and snow,
    All the way from the land of the wild Esquimau,-
    Until all our dreams of the land of the blest,
    Like that red hunter's, turn to the sunny southwest.

O soul of the spring-time, its light and its breath,
    Bring warmth to this coldness, bring life to this death;
    Renew the great miracle; let us behold
    The stone from the mouth of the sepulchre rolled,
    And Nature, like Lazarus, rise, as of old!

Let our faith, which in darkness and coldness has lain,
    Revive with the warmth and the brightness again,
    And in blooming of flower and budding of tree
    The symbols and types of our destiny see;

The life of the spring-time, the life of the whole,
    And, as sun to the sleeping earth, love to the soul!

I hope the spring comes soon for all! My fondest thoughts and best wishes...Ei

• drema_dianne
    17 years ago

Well, I had hopes of going to a birthday/retirement party for my aunt tomorrow night. She is going to have an Elvis impersonator, and I have never seen one. I think he is charging her upwards of $300, so he must be a good one. She lives about 1 ½ hours away, and I was really looking forward to it. Just for something fun and different to do in the middle of the winter. But, Skip is sick, he has had a terrible cough in his chest, and the heater fan on the more reliable car is only working sporadically. I thought I might catch a ride with other family members, but two groups are spending the night, and the other person has two car seats so I guess I will have to pass on seeing Elvis Maybe I will just get a movie, and hang out by the woodburner with cocoa That sounds good too. In other news, my son is moving into his first apt this weekend. He is 24, and ever since his YOUNGER sister got married this summer I think he has been putting pressure on himself to leave the nest. I hope it all works out for him. The apt is about an hour from our house, and he will be sharing with two room mates. He is getting excited. I am going to go out and buy him some basics, a couple of pots, soap, shampoo, toothpaste, etc. When you start from scratch, it can add up quickly

Ei, I love Whittier, but havent thought of his poems for awhile. Thanks for reminding me. Swirling Waters is gorgeous, and if I had noticed it this summer, I would have asked, but it must have been Cindy. The colors are very vibrant. I will say that I ordered a Sweet Bess from Pickering, to be delivered this spring, because I fell in love with yours. Sometimes a picture just doesnt do a plant justice, I think. Can you possibly tell me which David Russell CDs you would most recommend? I can buy two.

Martie- Do you grow the Camellias under lights? They are pretty.

Bug, your wintery pics were really cool! How cold is it up there?

Mary, I know exactly what you mean about the readjustment. My DH has been sort of off the road for about 6 months, and it was definitely different than we had thought it would be. I think we have figured it out now. You do such nice things with your family. Lucky kids.

Eden, hows the painting going? Are you finished yet? If I can get my house clean enough, I might post a picture. Have to try to find some so I can post before and after.

PM, thanks for posting the Jade pic. Someone at work gave me a little tiny one of those, so now I know what it will look like.

Kathy, nice sunset..

Marian, is it still snowing?

V- good to hear from you... hope others have a minute to stop in too...

Okay, must run..

TTYL
    D.

• gardeningmary
    17 years ago

Hello everyone

I sense a major case of the doldrums here on the Idylls that even the magenta photos didn't manage to perk up. Hope dreaming of gardens, grandbabies or vacations helps cheer the spirit.

Kathy - that sunrise/set is just gorgeous - just what we need here!

And a beautiful poem Ei!

Ei - ditto to everyone's good advice with applying to the library. One of your amazing attributes (that would blow any employer away) is the fact that you ran a successful business. I'm in awe of that and it would be a great discussion point at any interview. I also agree whole heartedly about volunteering (if your literacy work leaves you the time). That way the library could discover what a wonderful, fun, smart, compassionate and hard working person you are.

Hi Marian - how high is your snow now?

Cynthia - which annuals are you doing from seed this year? I'm down to about 10 varieties but my resolve might weaken.

I'd like to dally here longer but a busy week is finishing up and I promised David he could ski at our local park. 4th Graders here in NY can get a passport to ski for free at any NY Ski resort which is a fantastic deal. We've been checking out all sorts of possiblilies for February break but tonight its the bunny hill just a mile away. It has the advantage for me that I can watch from the car if I get cold, listening to NPR.

Time to bundle up

Mary

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

Just a quick pop in to show you all something I thought was just the cutest thing. A salt bucket and pepper shaker from Smith & Hawken especially for gardeners...

{{gwi:146838}}

Time for dinner but I'll try to get back sometime this weekend. Update: the room is painted but we're still working on building the shelves.

Eden

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ordered one of Eden's cocoa makers. No matter what Wiarton Willy saw today, I KNOW winter will be lasting quite some time longer.

But to keep on with the colour theme, here's a shot from last April 15th:
    {{gwi:146839}}

Enjoy your weekend and keep warm! Here it is supposed to be 1F tonight. :-(

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Hi ! No more snow, but no thawing either, and none in the long range forecast ( This is 'global warming? )
    Thank goodness for a wood shed full of wood. We will continue to be warm if nothing bends or breaks. :-)

Marie, they have taken the single F digits out of our forecast....just lows in the teens now. I presume you have thermostatically controlled heat ?

I am enjoying my googling, and the indoor flowers. :-)

Marian

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Oooh, Eden I like that salt and pepper set. I may just have to get me one of those.

Hey, it's finally snowing here. We're supposed to get a whopping 1-2", doubling our snowfall accumulations for the winter so far. According to those in the know we're a still a couple of feet behind last year though...lol...what a shame. At any rate, it makes for a good wine night. Looks like we're going to get the January cold next week. Bring it on! In 5 or 6 weeks the Iris reticulata will be blooming here.

Zoe turned 9 this week. Lately she's been acting much younger than usual. I can't figure it out. Her bad knee has been bothering her and she's occasionally limping and missing stairs and furniture when she jumps but it doesn't seem to be fazing her at all. Every time I turn around she's running around the yard or chasing Nick. Maybe she's getting senile. lol

Mary, we haven't skied yet this year. We were going to go last Sunday but I just couldn't drag my butt out of bed at 5 AM for the two and a half hour drive. This Sunday is supposed to be windy and cold. What are the chances? If your answer is slim to none you would be right. Too bad you weren't closer. Tom used to be a ski instructor and is good at giving out helpful tips.

Hey Ei, if you can do accounts payable and want to relocate to CT I have a job for you.

Cynthia, thanks for reminding me that PDN is in NC. Tom wasn't as thrilled as I was to get that news. I still haven't convinced him that driving to NC and then all around the state would be a great adventure that I think it will be but I still have time. Something tells me that the selling point will be me doing most of the driving.

I called my dad in FL the other night for his BD (he shares the day with his granddaughter, Zoe) and promised him we would try to sneak down for a long weekend in February or March. They moved down to FL almost 5 years ago and I haven't seen them since so perhaps the time has come. I'm just not a FL fan and if I go I truly will have to sneak because if my mom finds out I was down there and didn't go visit her, I'll never hear the end of it. My parents have been divorced for almost 30 years and there are still issues.

Well, no magenta but here's a picture in keeping with the spring theme.

{{gwi:146840}}

Time for a wine refill. TGIFN!

Sue

• taryn
    17 years ago

THIS

• taryn
    17 years ago

IDYLL

• taryn
    17 years ago

HAS

• taryn
    17 years ago

DIE-DYLLED

• taryn
    17 years ago

PLEASE MAKE A CONTRIBUTION SO WE CAN PUT IT TO REST!

P.S. Which colour do you think is closest to magenta?

P.P.S. Just figured out if I stop the thread from loading as soon as the document part is loaded I can get to the end in about 1 minute, as opposed to 15!

P.P.S. Okay, I admit it, I'm bored, lol

• taryn
    17 years ago

I'm setting up grow lights today. :) What are YOU doing?

• cynthia_gw
    17 years ago

Morning! It's Saturday! And a cold one.

Mary, I went seed shopping last Sunday night :-) That was a day I couldn't seem to accomplish anything so I did the lazy thing and ordered seeds. But nothing exotic or exciting, just old favorites I can't do without, like Ageratum blue horizon. It's drought proof, flood proof, everything proof and doesn't look like an ageratum. It's a two foot floaty blue filler. The only place I've been able to find the seeds for the last 3 years is Burpee. I ordered my Zinnias from Burpee too, just to justify the postage fee they charge. For those who liked the short potted grass in my brug picture from a couple of weeks ago, Park's has the seeds (Melinis nerviglumis). And it will self seed in it's pot or the neighboring pot each year. The Centauria Montana have not been self seeding the last few years so I decided I'd start some more so that I could have them where I want them.

{{gwi:146841}}
    {{gwi:146842}}

I had a $10 coupon for T&M, so ordered my impatiens seed and Nicotiana 'Perfume Purple', and seed for an erodium which I lost a few winters ago and had really liked. The N. Perfume Purple that I grew last year didn't have much scent, but the color was terrific. It's a short nicki.I also ordered a couple of plants from Bluestone and Select Seeds.

I have a feeling that if I don't get going this morning, I'll waste the entire day. First action will be to go up to the attic and find some cord to hang: Fairy Dust Balls

I was at Gardiner's Supply to buy new self watering window boxes that are just a bit deeper and wider and definitely sturdier than the ones I have now. I'd been looking at the Fairy balls for a couple of years and decided it was time to buy just one set as a present :-) They're much larger than I expected. Think they'll hang in sunroom windows for now.

Have a good week-end everyone! I'm going to pick a dog and go to an open house for a few hours. Dog of the day will probably be Monty since I eliminated him from the 'long walk' yesterday on account of the cold and rain mixed with sleet mixed with snow that was falling yesterday. It all amounted to a slippery surface, but once again no accumulation. I'm liking this winter!

Cynthia

• martieinct
    17 years ago

Not yet, Taryn. An amazing thing last night brought Magenta into my life in a brand new way. Couldn't get the camera to capture it:

Like Sue said, it snowed -- just enough to provide a blanket for the arctic air enroute. When the sky cleared at about 10p, it really cleared. Combine that with the nearly full moon and the snow was glowing a soft yellow (Twilight, Ei???). Anyway, all of a sudden a cloud crossed the moon and everything turned rosy. It was sensational to the point that I woke Rich from a sound sleep to look. It only lasted a few minutes (long enough to realize the camera wouldn't "get it"). Nothing I've seen before. Anyone else?

Turned off the lights as promised. Didn't turn them back on at 6, though, since we kinda liked it dark and quiet ;-)

Very Good News: Rich is going to two appts today and one is to sign plans for a 3-month job. He went to see these people 9 months ago (just like a pregnancy!!!) and they needed to pull a few more $$ together to get what they wanted. Right in time, as always. Sometimes wonder who the heck am I to worry?????

Sue: Another Tom in NC trick: Go to the Smoky Mountains. Yes, they are on the opposite side of the state from the ocean but since you're driving, you could take a wrong turn on the way down and end up in the most stunning mountains. Go five hours to the east and you're at the outer banks. Plants Delight will be a must. I had the privilege to go to a workshop there several years ago, and even then before they were "famous" it was an amazing experience.

In the neverending saga of where Will Kyle Be Next Year, it's still England but not for the year. He worked a deal with the Economics Department at Lancashire (UK School #1) and they will afford him his minor AND access to the 1500's original documents. He's beside himself with joy. We're still going to try for the Holiday swing, provided he'll be in Europe somewhere. Someone important from Japan actually called here during the week to try and talk me into talking Kyle into going there. Japan is "out" for now (give it a few days) but he's working on a tuition-free Masters with them. My Mom put it best: "Good experience for when he can negotiate to save the world."

Thinking a lot about you, Chelone, and knowing that the reality of everything that's happened over the last month must be really sinking in. Sounds like you're doing wonderfully.

Thinking of everyone, actually, and how much fun it will be to share my garden work in progress this year with folks who understand what I'm talking about.

Love that Centurea, Cynthia!! I, too, have always had Zinnias in the garden -- my grandmother trialed for Burpee in the '50's and they were her specialty. Simple, special plants.

Find room for Therese, Kathy. Put it somewhere that it gets beaten on. I have two from HD pity pile that started as a 6" stick with roots and they are flourishing. Gotta love a rose like that in Z6.

Have decided to celebrate the snow by doing a roast pork with good bones on the grill. Must run and actually get it and fill the propane tank. Got a call from the Agway where tank gets filled and the first of their summer bulbs are in. Oh, Shucks, could it be collusion??!! :-)

Deanne - Given above, still looking forward to your recommendation for a creamsicle Dahlia. Love everyone elses, too and may have to do a blend.
    \ Everyone have a sparkling day.
    Best - Martie

• wendy2
    17 years ago

Taryn, LOL, have another cup! I know what you mean, it has been slow around here. The pictures do slow down the threads, we used to have dial-up at work and I couldn't believe the difference. What will you be growing under your lights?

I haven't ordered any seeds yet, but my lights have been going since October, trying to overwinter some cuttings and other stuff I took in. Everything is surviving at least. I've been cruising the Proven Winners website, eyeing some of the new coleus, and the Gaelic series of pulmonaria.

I've made the pancakes, done 2 loads of laundry, showered, read for a while, and I'm now debating the virtues of cleaning vs. making chocolate chip cookies (DD has been begging for them). I also may try to scrape the inch or so of frozen slush off the driveway - DH would be really surprised when he comes home!

Sue, Tom sounds like my DH re: the driving vacation. My grandparents drove across the country several times (without kids though), and that is something I'd love to do, but DH gets really cranky if he has to drive for much more than a few hours at a time. He doesn't like it when I drive either, I catch him trying to use the driver's ed brake! He actually knew me when I didn't know how to drive; he tried to take me driving in the cemetery to learn, but his heart couldn't take it. He convinced me to take lessons from a driving school so I could get my license. I think it takes a certain kind of temperament to be a driving instructor.

Eden, that salt-and-pepper set is pretty. I couldn't use it though, we don't even keep a salt shaker on the table because DS tends to get carried away. I hate to think what he could do with that little shovel!

Kathy, beautiful sunset (or is it a sunrise?) The colors of the sky amaze me.

Enjoy the day everyone!

-Wendy

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Good morning! Here is a representative sample of the snow we received last night. After it fell, the temps dropped an it froze so we now have an inch or so of crust over everything. Pretty, but I could do without much more of it. My walk this afternoon could prove to be a challenge between the cold and wind and slippery sidewalks.

{{gwi:146844}}

Martie, the reason we're going to NC is to stay at my cousin's place in the Outer Banks. She gave it to my mom to use the last week in April. I was planning to add the Biltmore Estate in Asheville and my co-workers new house in the western hills to the itinerary. Plant Delights could keep us hopping. Tom absolutely hates driving any more than a couple of hours and is resisting this plan. One of my brothers and his wife are driving from the Boston area and offered to pick us up. Tom wasn't even thrilled with that idea. I would prefer to have my own car so we could do our own thing. I don't want to be locked into flight reservations and a rental car either. Plus, with the way the airlines work these days you would probably spend at least 6 hours or more dicking around in airports and on planes before getting anywhere. The driving thing just seems like more fun to me and something we don't usually do.
    Oh well, we'll see.

I don't have much on the agenda today. Tom has a to-do list and has added a stop at the fish market. Tonight seems like a good night for swordfish on the grill. Maybe I'll run over to Smith and Hawken and check out the salt and pepper shakers. The same shopping center has a Chico's and I have a coupon burning a hole in my pocket...lol.

Later,

Sue

• chelone
    17 years ago

Yes, Marian! I have had a terrible time getting this site to load over the past few days. I've gotten "page cannot be displayed" many times and simply haven't had the time to wait around to try again.

We received a dusting of snow last night (2-3") and it's really windy today. A harbinger of the arctic blast destined to arrive for the coming week, no doubt. In preparation, we allowed the stove to get cold and removed the accumulated ashes. I uncovered an abandonned mouse nest in the woodpile this morning. I haven't decided if they were brave or really stupid to attempt it, or if they were part of the string of dead mice that appeared next to the door some weeks ago... .

Ei., good luck with the job hunt. It's been a long time since I've interviewed for a position that wasn't directly related to my skill/trade, but I do recall vividly being asked this question: "Soo... tell me about yourself"! So there are "gaps" in your "work history"? So what? it's what you did with that time that really counts. And there's nothing wrong with simply saying, "I don't know how to do that yet. I can learn.". Don't let an interviewer intimidate you; remember, you're interviewing them, too! Reapply for the position that has already seen two casualties. The worst they'll say to you is, "No." and they've already done that. The position remains unfilled, too! :)

Martie, there are basically 3 types of foam. There is the "usual" kind found in sofa cushions. It varies in density, and it will absorb water since it's basically a sponge available in different densities. There is "reticulated" foam. This has a very "open" structure and if your pour water on top of it it will run right through it (ideal for outdoor furniture). Lastly, there is "closed cell foam". This is very dense (it floats) and resists water infiltration to the cells (they're "closed"). This is a standard for quality cockpit cushions on boats, and also in life jackets. Its structure makes it very dense, therefore, "harder" to sit on; it lacks "squishibility". It's harder to make covers for too.

I kicked my weekend off with an early Friday morning doctor's app't., the routine kind to which we all so look forward. ;) Next week it's mammogram time, and an eye exam. The "middle age" thing is starting to manifest itself with my vision. My "burgundy" blaze is shrinking, but it still looks sort of silly... my "dumb badge" ;

We enjoyed a late lunch and matinee yesterday. We saw "Dreamgirls" and it was the first time I've ever experienced "stadium seating" (it was nice!). We weren't that impressed by the movie, though. There were some very good performances and costumes, but we agreed there was nothing in the characters' personalities that made either of us really "care about them". We found the movie "long". And the music so-so. The jewel though, was a DVD purchase: "Little Miss Sunshine"!! We laughed and laughed through that one. Marian: it's a GREAT story about family with some frank language about sex and drugs. I think you would enjoy it. It's very, very funny.

I am not wild about Magenta, but I have a tree peony that has pretty flowers about that color. My picture files are such a mess I'll never find it. Your lovely combinations, though, have me thinking about it differently.

I have to say, I'm rather enjoying the winter, I was sorry the snow fell at night. The house is warm, filled with light from sunup to sundown, and its nice to "have it back". It's 11 AM and I'm still in my jammies and about to start the laundry. There isn't anything else I "have to get done before I start..." . I'm not freaked about by a messy desk, any more. I'm thinking it will be fun to clean it up! It's been a long time since I've felt that way and that's why I empathize with those experiencing "confinement" of any sort.

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    17 years ago

We enjoyed Little Miss Sunshine too Chelone. Yes, it is about family, in the best way. We of course were very fond of the Volkswagon too, having lived with several of them over the years.

Just back from haircut time. It is a beautiful cold sunny day, but we have windchill warnings...something I've not seen before...with wind temperatures going down down down to -25F through next week. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Knitting by the fire sounds great!

Planning a trip to Toronto for a few days with old friends. One will be 87 on the 15th, just got 2 new hips and no longer has back troubles as a result. She's so happy with her health. She's still an active gardener too. :-)

Time to make some lunch. DH deserves a bit of pampering because he did the trip to the dump and post office this morning, sending fun books to DD, DSIL and DGS for valentine's day. By the way, the puzzles for DGS arrived yesterday, but will have to wait until next week when he returns from his Mom's place. DD wanted to open the box but I said NO! It was not addressed to her. The fun is in opening a mystery box after all, don't you agree?

'bug

• dodgerdudette
    17 years ago

Think this might be post 100 here...unless someone zooms in front of me ! We're expecting temps of nealy 70F this weekend.Crazy, and still no rain. We're experienceing thirty pluss degree swings between day and night temps.

Tayrn, I select post number four as the most magenta-ish !

That was a sunset pic for those who asked-can't take credit for it as DS was the photographer on that one !

Cynthis, I grow Blue Horizon Ageratum too, though I take the lazy way out and buy it in six-packs !I love to use it as a filler in bouquets, and it's such a nice height in the garden.

Hello hello to all others, enjoy your Saturday, I'm heading out to the garden...

Kathy in Napa

• chelone
    17 years ago

Well... it has been sluggish here today. Or else you're all out doing incredibly interesting things. I'm envious if it was the latter. Me? I dubbed around the house all day long. Laundry, kitchen clean up, some DVD viewing, some reading, a late lunch/early supper, some napping. :)

I cleaned the snow off the deck early, knowing Old Sol would do his magic. The cats were thrilled to have a dry observatory and even went up the ladder to cruise around on the roof. It was a lovely day and we left the door to the deck cracked for them most of the day, a nice way to air out the house, too.

The helpmeet saw the code enforcement officer yesterday and it looks as though we will be issued a permit for the garage. The site will present some difficulties (redirecting drainage and eliminating a pretty "wild" barrier area for the road), but also some exciting possibilities, too: relocation of the driveway entrance, burial of electricity and telephone lines, and the introduction of a shrub border between the road and our home. For now, though, it will be one step at a time.

How did you know that "Twilight Time" is my favorite Platters song, Ei.?! ("Sixteen Tons" is a close second, also the standard, "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes"). The drive to and from work was (REMAINS, actually) some of my favorite time alone. There aren't that many ways to "get there from here", but all are scenic and I enjoy them in a careful rotation. I even get resentful when people "tailgate" me, pulling over and slowing down to let them pass, lol. I get some of my "best thinkin'" done in the car, and I'm sure you do, too! (I like taking Rex with me, too... I'm used to a chilly car, open windows, noseprints, doghair, etc.). And there is a leash and water bowl alongside the jumper cables. ;)

I love driving vacations, but it did take the helpmeet some time to get into the swing, Sue (too many years "on the road" with the band)! I like to drive (I'm cool w/ driving to Philly alone). He doesn't mind being a passenger/navigator, and we "take the scenic route", allowing enough time to get there with frequent stops to "look at things" or replenish what my father used to call, "emergency rations" (snacks feature prominently for him). We like to see historic buildings/sites/battlefields or things that are particular to a given region; nature preserves, for example. Some of our best vacations have been "roadtrips"... like the 125th anniversary celebration of Lee's surrender to Grant at Appomattox Courthouse, complete with hundreds of reenactors! Give him some time, plan some fun stops for him, and he'll come around.

I know I've missed so much (even at the snail's pace of this thread, lol), but I know I've missed Eden's "after" pictures... HINT.

OK, so I'm dragging this thread out... help me, please... someone?

• natalie4b
    15 years ago

Just want to say Thank You! I really enjoyed all the beautiful pictures - love magenta color!!!