Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Idyll 248: A New Year, A New Idyll

Posted by Veronicastrum z5 IL (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 2, 06 at 11:10

Here's to a great year of gardening and idylling!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Idyll 248: A New Year, A New Idyll

Happy 2006! We had a great trip to Chicago. Good times with our friends, way too much good food and lots of good shopping. DH was using points for the hotel and they upgraded the room and threw in free breakfasts! When I was a teenager, I would come down Lake Shore Drive and think that the Drake was just the most impressive place in the world. It was fun to actually stay there and look out the windows to Lake Shore Drive.

We hit the sales and I got badly needed new bedding. It was interesting to shop with DH; I was picking colors from the 200 thread count, $19.99 on sale sheet sets, and he wrinkled his nose and dragged me over to the 400 count sheets . Very interesting, because Im pretty sure if I had picked these out on my own and he had not seen the range of prices in the store, he would have been amazed at how much they cost. I think I have to make him shop with me more often!

On NYE we went to a wine caf, where we sampled sparkling wines, cheeses, and a wood-grilled pizza. Then back to the room for a bottle of champagne, and off to Buckingham Fountain. Shortly before midnight, there were fireworks around the fountain, and then at midnight there was an incredible display over the lake. I am a total sucker for cool fireworks and had tears running down my cheeks as I was watching! All in all, a very pleasant long weekend.

Our closet is now half cleaned out (in other words, all the junk is pulled out but we have to figure out what to do with it) and we will be taking the tree down today. The branches will be cut off and used as mulch, but we will have to work that around the thunderstorms today. How bizarre is that? Thunderstorms in early January?

Babs, the teen girls for a sleepover are pretty self-sufficient. They stayed up until about 2:00 am watching movies, but got themselves up and out by 9:15. They fix their own snacks, and its a good group so I dont have to worry about them fixing their own drinks. ;-)

Time to start work. Im going to dress like Monique did on Christmas Day today!

V.

o

Happy New Year, everybody!! We were sound asleep long before midnight. I think in the 14 years we've been married, we've been up to see in the New Year maybe three times, lol! We're just party animals, aren't we????

Wendy, congrats on the new computer! I love being able to burn music CD's. DD burns a lot of them, too...now that she's fallen in love with my "old school" music. She's quite the hippie in the wrong time, lol! She loves Jefferson Airplane, Simon and Garfunkel, Grateful Dead, etc. Who'da thunk it?

T-I don't remember how long ago it was I ran into those puzzles-it's been a few months, I guess. I love logic puzzles, and solving them is very similar to the way you solve the Sudoku puzzles.

Eden, you must be so proud of Jennifer :) What a great thing to do for Megan.

Cynthia, I love the pic of Miss Blue :)

Nice pics, Woody! Lol@ the dogs supervising you...too cute!

'Bug, you take the prettiest winter pictures!

Honey, good to hear what's going on with Jain..I miss her sense of humor and great pictures. Too bad about the rose garden, though. Can't imagine living with mudslides and everything else she deals with!!

Not a lot new here. Went shopping with DD yesterday. She's in a sewing mood, so we headed off to the fabric store. She's making a giant purse/messenger bag. She's planning to go back to school, and needs something to lug her junk in. Lol, she's hasn't decided WHERE she's going to school, or WHAT she'll be studying, but she'll have a cute bag when she does. I walked out of the store without buying anything!! That's got to be a first for me. I can usually find something cross stitch that I can't live without.

Still doing the eating right thing. I've lost 13 pounds, and have all kinds of energy. My sister brought over 2 dozen bakery pastries on New Year's Eve. She didn't know I was dieting, and felt bad for bringing them. Of course, Jim said he'd take the pressure off of me and eat most of them. I have found that I can have a sweet treat after my supper, and the diet still works. Too cool! As long as I eat it within an hour of when I started eating supper, I don't have any problem. I did cheat one evening, and ate a couple of slices of cold pizza right before bed. Woke up the next morning heavier, bloated and feeling like a truck had run over me. And, that's how I used to feel every morning....yuk!!

Today is the day...I'm taking down the Christmas tree. One of my least favorite things to do, for some reason.

MIL got her first shipment of Netflix movies. She hadn't used her DVD player in a long time, so I went up and showed her how to get it working. When she got DirecTv, DS and I offered to program the remote so that she could work all her stuff off one remote, but she said that was too confusing. So, she's got three. I guess as long as she can keep it straight, and get stuff working, that's all that matters. The first movie she was going to watch was The Notebook. Wonderful movie, but what a tearjerker. Even Jim cried when we watched it. She also got a digital camera and photo printer. I need to go up and hook that all up and show her how to work it. Of course, I have to figure it out myself first :)

Sounds like my SIL from Texas threw a fit when they took her back to the airport. Not sure if she's going to come back home for Christmas any more. I can see both sides of it. She's really active, always going somewhere. So, she fights the airports at the worst time of year, comes home for 4-5 days, and just sits around and eats. I know she's bored out of her mind, and we don't live in an area where there are a lot of interesting things to do, especially in the winter. Don't know how that's all going to work out. MIL is pretty upset by the whole thing. I understand her wanting the family together for Christmas, but her youngest is 40 years old, and I don't think most families spend that much time together for the holidays. I did get to make dinner for everyone one night, and everybody had a good time. Listened to music, played games, etc. It's a MUCH more casual environment at our house. It's hard to be stuffy and have two maniac dogs dancing around, lol!
Okay, time to tackle that tree. It's not the doing it that is so hard....it's the STARTING it ;)
Have a good day all!
Brenda
PS...it's warm and rainy here, and Jim is not allowed to go ice fishing any more until we have some cold weather. May be a good time to steer him into the basement to clean that mess out!
PSS...V-is the Drake the hotel where they have the ducks in the lobby??

o

Happy New Year all! It was quiet here, by choice. We went to see Pride and Prejudice at the movie theater. It was very good. Then we came home and I read some, then went to bed early!
As you might have heard, Oklahoma is burning! We've had no damage yet. A co-worker lost everything but the clothes he had on when he went to work.
Another 'animal lover' friend spent the evening with all her animals crated in the living room in case they had to run for their lives. She had one of their smaller pastures burn but had already moved the horses so she was very lucky.
I'm relieved to hear Jain is OK so far too. Please send some of that rain our way!!!!!

I'm not one for New Year's resolutions since I never seen to keep them. Since I've begun a journey of sorts already last year I guess that can be called more of a continuing goal. I have a few goals for this year. Some are my own and some are worthy goals that I have 'borrowed':

Examining my life, my past, my beliefs and getting rid of those things that are no longer valid or are not healthy.
I suppose I am saying that I will create my own reality.
To borrow from a favorite TV show 'Myth Busters':
"I reject your reality and will insert my own!" ;)

Part of the examination on my life is dealing with weight problems. Which has nothing to do with FOOD by the way. Funny how that works. I've lost 15 pounds since I've been working on family issues! I want to finally be healthy for the first time in my life.

Looking at my abundance rather than my lack!

Let go of judgment, allowing others to go on their path without trying to be traffic director, letting them solve their own obstacles without telling them how, unless asked for suggestions, and not get bummed if they don't take them.

Jerri

o
Puppy update!

Oh yes, I'm so happy to report that Jazzy and 3 of the puppies have happy new homes for the New Year. YEAH!!!!!!!

o

Jerri-Glad to hear that you're safe! Can't imagine going to work and then coming home to nothing. I like your goals. I'm not good with New Years resolutions, either. I like the idea of ongoing goals......and I love Mythbusters :) Congrats on Jazzy and the 3 puppies!!
Stay safe,
Brenda

o

V, Your week-end getaway sounds like it was perfect! I especially liked the teary part for the fireworks :)

Hey, I thought today was a holiday! No work happening here. But I do have more drawers and closets to clean out. The garbage bags outside are mounting, and I wonder if pick-up will be a day late because of the holiday. Which gives me more time to clean, right?! It's definitely time to go back to work, I've now got all the dog and cat brushes soaking in the sink... Cleaned out two more drawers in the downstairs bath, and with all of the extra room decided that pill bottles (aspirin, alka seltzer, etc) could lay in the drawer on their side so that I can tell what's what. It was either that or label the tops with a sharpie pen. Is this what retirement is like? OCD?

Wow Jerri, I think you've found the secrets of happiness! I so admire you for taking control of your life. And congrats on the adoptions, that was quick!

Nice to see a beautiful photo from GB to start the new year. I wandered off to Garden's North last night (haven't gotten their catalogue yet) and discovered the 'Norway Perennial of the Year" there: Rhodiola atropurpurea. I was controlled, I ordered that and just two other types of seed. Every year I pledge to cut back, and do, but never as much as I know I should :) It's too much fun.

Brenda, so glad that your diet is making you feel so much better! Can't see that food is much different from drugs (really), it has to affect us since our bodies are running on it. Guess you've proven that one!

When I was cleaning out a bathroom drawer I found Shalimar bath pearls so had to try them out in the middle of the day. The whole upstairs smells lovely now. Me too I guess.

I'm starting Agave Victorra Reginea and Silphium perfoliatum today. Agave is slow grower, and Silphium needs 12 weeks strat according to Clothier. I think Eden has a nice speciman of the Silphium, and I have a good spot for it to clump up. Eden, I haven't forgotten about seeds of Eupatorium coelestinum for you. They should be ripe by now (!), but did not get to that area when I was in the yard yesterday.

I've written more than I intended, but there's a cat in my lap, how could I move? Rainy today so there won't be much outdoor time with the four footed.

Best to all, Cynthia

o

Raining and gloomy here too - we haven't seen the sun in more than a week and it's getting depressing! Jasper was feeling in need of a cuddle so I spent part of the morning reading on the floor with Jasper pressing close on one side and Chelsea on the other, with Misty in the middle on my legs.

We're quiet New Year's folk here too Brenda and were not awake at midnight. V - your hotel stay sounds very pleasant indeed!

Jerri - I figured Jazzy znd puppies wouldn't be around long - they were so cute! How many puppies were there? Are they all gone now? The fire situation is certainly scary - I hope you remain safe! Those are good very resolutions. We never get around to making any - because we always promptly forgot them anyway in the days we did such things - very lax we are here... :-)

We meant to take down the tree yesterday but forgot! 'Undressing' the tree and putting it away is one of those chores that get put off too easily...

In the past day or so, I've been making a list of the plants I need to get this spring to plant (a) in the north alley, (b) the reshaped living room bed/end of south alley/top of oak garden (c) in the front bed after we reshape it to include last year's little bed and add a new path and (d) along the garage wall after we remove the viburnums that are not flowering well because they are too shaded. So far, the list included about 30 different types of plants and about 150 plants in total. I think it will be a busy spring here!

o

CAUGHT UP!!!!! Whew!!!

First Off and Most Important to Mary: I can't begin to imagine losing my "first call" girlfriend. My heart is heavy for you and all who loved her and her family.

Catching up on posts has had me up and down and left and right. The pics and memories of a much smaller Kyle (Taryn, your boys are just too much ...) and the various family trials and happiness all in the same hour. Missing Sue's party still has me bummed, but since she's discovered Acqua there's no reason to not have dinner soon! The place is to die for if you can get over the fact that it used to be a Sports Bar Rib Joint. Ahhhhhh, how wonderful transformations can be.

Rich and I spent NYE at HOME!!! After seven different parties in two weekends and alfresco work and client stuff thrown in, as well as hosting several hundred dollars worth of meals (NOT complaining but I need a new roasting pan) it was good just to pull on sweats, turn down the lights, have a conversation lasting more than 15 minutes, and be Absolutely With the love of my life. Long sentence but that's how the Holidays have been. LOL

As a gift, I was given 10 hours of Rich's professional labor beyond laying the new walkway and *finally* building my cedar raised beds. He had already committed to repainting the kitchen and living room so that doesn't count, either. Suggestions, friends?????? An arbor?? Just plain brute muscle???? Installing a paring sink in the kitchen???? Materials can't be more than $200. Outta the Box, Please!

Next week will be starting the Rosa chinensis seeds from Woody and the Alpine Strawberries from Pinetree. Since I have a tendancy to try and force the seasons, I've made a promise to myself that I won't use the *possibly but highly unlikely no frost date* but will abstain until I know *for sure* I won't have to start a second round.

This year plants brought in will be basic, as much of the hardscape will be going in. There will, however, be a 10'x15' nursery bed for perennials. I like this idea since most will be direct-sown. My $2 at a tag sale plastic cloches will come in handy. My dad and BIL for a gift made me a cold frame out of BIL's ex-dining room window. We should be all set. I've starting doing hand weights in anticipation of lugging pavers and bluestone around .....

The weather here has been way too strange. I found an unplanted package of Crocus and was able to get them in, yesterday. An audience of ROBINS took part. Robins!!!!!
In Connecticut in December !!!!!!

INSERT TRUMPET MUSIC HERE: The Cyclamen is not only alive, it is thriving!!! I went to the ultimate Cyclamen source -- the supermarket foliage lady -- and she told me to pinch off the drooping blooms but not to take the stem down. The idea is to let the stem part of the flower die back like bulb foliage. Southeast facing window, old candle jar with water on the radiator, and the plant is happy as can be.

I'm not sure what Idyllunion is, but it sounds interesting! Given my newish job I won't have time off until late Fall, but I love it when gardeners get together for no reason other than to share the passion and give each other hugs.

The Logees trip is coming up fast (1/22) and the invitation is still open to anyone who wants to trek out. Guided tour by their staff Horticulturist, shopping, lunch at a great "drop in and stay awhile" place .. Here's hoping Sue or Monique or Deanne brings a camera.

This is getting blathery but hey!!! It's been awhile. As always, best to all for a happy, prosperous and PEACEFUL New Year.

Martie

o

OK, the holidays are over, the decorations are down and all the frivolity has come to a screeching halt, as it does every year at this time. Soon I'll become interested in gardening again and spend the next few months deciding what to move where, sketching garden plans that I'll never use, and deciding what new plants will grace my space. Despite all the promise, January is my least favorite month. On New Year's Eve we had 4 inches of snow. Another 5-10" is predicted for tomorrow as part of the latest nor'easter. Right now it's raining lightly. Yuck, yuck, yuck, driving to work tomorrow is going to suck.

Hey Martie, nice to see you back! I do still plan to attend your Logee's day trip. So you've been to Acqua? Maybe we could meet there for dinner some night with Monique and Les and perhaps Deanne and Doug. We like a place in Hartford called Pastis too. Have you ever been?

Our tree(s) came down today too-all 3 of them as well as the rest of the decorations both indoors and out. The only season I attempt to extend is the growing season. I put the majority of my Christmas stuff up the weekend after Thanksgiving and am absolutely amazed at how the last 5 or 6 weeks have just flown by. Holy crap! It seemed like just the other day when I was stuffing my turkey and setting the table. Now it's all history again until next year. Time is just going by way too fast.

Jerri, great to hear from you too. Congrats on your life changing progress. You sound very upbeat and positive.

Good for you, Brenda, too on your commitment to healthier eating and resulting weight loss. It's tough to maintain reasonable eating throughout the holidays. Tonight for dinner I baked chicken and served it with fresh steamed carrots and a salad. Back to normal, simple foods here for the forseeable future.

So I finally had Tom toss a short section of flourescent lights in the basement so I could get some of the ratty looking plants out of sight. Yesterday I was down there checking the water on my cuttings and couldn't figure out why my coleus was rotting. I had to toss a few of them out. Then Tom confessed that he hasn't been able to get the automatic timer to work so the light has only been on a few hours at night when he's downstairs. Well, at least I don't have some strange coleus disease but egads it's a good thing I asked. I know some of you enjoy tending to houseplants and growing stuff inside but to me it's just a pain in the patoot. In my house the happiest plants are fake...lol.

Well, I'm going to go e-mail Deanne. Maybe she's away but I don't remember her saying so and I'm getting worried.

Sue

o

While the rest of northern CT seems to be buried, we have gotten -0-" of snow so far. There's 7" 10 miles to our west, and 5" 10 miles to our east. OKAY, I'm convinced, we are really in Zone 6!

Sue -- I've not been to Pastis. My fav Hartford restaurant continues to be City Steam. Low key, great service, casual.... If we can hook up, though, almost anything sounds good to me.

Almost broke down and called about a referred "free" Rat Terrier that doesn't seem to like a new baby in the house. Unspayed female made me think twice and made up Rich's mind. New job is keeping me away from the house for 10-12 hours at a time, and it wouldn't be fair to the dog at this point.

Caught nature in high action yesterday as a LARGE hawk took care of one member of the squirrel raiders in our back yard. (I was routing for the hawk.) Amazing to see in surburbia ..

Must run -- have a good day, everyone!

Martie

o

Good morning! Ive been up and atem this am. Got a couple loads of laundry done, some decorations down, a pile of garage sale stuff accumulated and was really sailing along until a return phone call from friends. We phoned to wish them a Happy New Year on Sun. and they werent home. So it was great to get a return call. They just moved to San Antonio and have invited us down. As I look at this grey, grey, cloudy, misty day, 82 and sunny sounds like heaven. Ive always wanted to go there and now we have an excuse. The budget director and I are going to have a pow-wow. After the holidays and the precarious economic conditions here, I know its probably not wise. Well see.

Oh, V. I didnt realize you stayed at the Drake! I just love that hotel the sweeping staircase, etc., etc. The co. put staffers up there for the Chicago Auto Show in Feb. Theres everything to like about that hotel. Your weekend sounded fabulous! And those new sheets sound luscious.

Ei, good for you sticking to your diet! I cant imagine how you did it with all the munchies and goodies around for the holidays. Im sending some to work with DH. He forgot to take them this am so Im going to pack the car tonite. I gave our good friends and neighbors a bag-full of crackers, cheeses, cookies, candies and left over desserts for their 20-yr. old sons (they eat anything not nailed down!). We dont need to eat that stuff and it would just sit around and eventually be pitched. How old is your MIL? Is she able to order Netflix on the web or is there an alternative way of ordering?

Jerri, it was so good to hear from you. Ive thot of you often while watching the news reports. How awful for your co-worker and friends. Fire scares the bejeebers outta me. Please keep popping in. Im worried about you. BTW, congrats on finding homes for those critters. Thats great. I admire your resolutions. I need to work on similar.

Cynthia, yep, retirement is filled with fits of cleaning and organizing and fits of "Oh, I can do that manana!", mostly the latter. After you mentioned cleaning out under the bathroom sink, you inspired me to do the same this am. Really tho, I did it b/c Im looking for something. Geez I cant believe how much junk was in there. I had lots of contributions to the garage sale stash accumulating in the basement.

Brenda, its only the last few yrs. that weve gone out NYE. Cuddling up on the couch watching a good movie is a great alternative and we enjoy it as much if not more than going out!

Speaking of movies, we saw "Mercury Rising" last nite with Bruce Willis. Good suspense flick.

Wow, Woody. You have an ambitious spring planned. Hope you share your planting plan with us. Im concentrating on the house projects first and then will "play" with the plant catalogues and plans.

Martie, you do have a super DH. Hes definitely a keeper. I love all the projects youve planned and cant wait to hear which ones youve decided on.

Sue, " in my house the happiest plants are fake", LOLOL. Thats true here, too, with minor exception.

Im missing Deanne, too. Hope shes just busy and all is well. Hi to all. Ive got to get back to my projects here.

o

The Christmas dcor is still up here because we had Kenzie from Sat. afternoon until Monday a.m. We also had my parents over for dinner on NY day as they are leaving for Texas for 3 months today. Yesterday we went to Sioux Falls and picked up more supplies for the bathroom redo. Kenzie and I both have bad colds and werent very perky on Sunday.

I think I have enough projects planned for the next couple of months to make the winter go pretty fast. The temps have been in the 30s lately with rain and fog so it is bearable.
No sunshine here for awhile either Woody.

We went to Best Buy and checked on DVD options. I have a burner on my computer that I havent done much with yet. Id like to dub all my VHS tapes of video of family etc. over.

Brenda, how great about the weight loss and renewed energy. I havent seen The Notebook movie but I did read the book and the sequel The Wedding. I liked both.

V, I picked up some 400 count sheets at Sams yesterday. Your NYE sounds like fun.

I know I have missed lots to comment on from the last thread, but no time now.

Later
Michelle

o

I have read off and on so am somewhat caught up on the threads.
Today is "the beginning of the rest of my life" as they say, so it started with portion control at breakfast, then the same old laundry etc etc etc. I made my pot of Miracle Soup, to help me through this first day: 6 cups tomato juice, 2 cups beef bouillon, 2 pounds frozen California vegetables. Simmer 20 minutes. One cup is less than 50 calories, yet filling.

The tree is dis-assembled, the ashes are high and deep in the fireplace, but things aren't too messy after DS and his friend's visit.

DH has been busy with environmental concerns, graduate students and the cleaning out of his study. Soon I must go proofread a response he has written to the policy advisor of the Ministry of Natural Resources.

It continues to be ever so gloomy out there, but we enjoyed several neighbourhood events over the holidays. I read all the #1 Ladies Detective stories that Eden mentioned. They are a very quick easy read but very nice for me with their African background. (Botswana)

I have been practicing making cards a bit with PhotShop and hope to have more time for this in January.

Hope to see the return of familiar folk as well as an influx of new friends.

o

And a happy today back at you, 'bug! Back to the grind again. When the alarm went off at 5:00 am, the dogs didn't even stir. They had fallen out of their routine as well.

Yesterday, our tree got cut to pieces and carried out in armloads. The heucheras now have a nice barrier of pine needles that should keep the maurauding bunnies at bay. The ornaments are put away and I need to figure out how to store the new garland that I bought this year.

Count me in on those who are missing Deanne. Hope she is well!

Our weather is warm but gray. It was so dark driving to work this morning that I actually double-checked the time to be sure I wasn't an hour ahead of myself.

On tap for this week is dealing with the dregs of the closet-cleaning project, and doing some more Ebay listings. I need to establish a routine for the Ebay stuff so I can get through a fair amount of it this winter. One thing I know is that I will ship during the week, as the one-horse-town post office here is much better to deal with than my local PO.

And I need to get serious about the idyllunion. Ei, I will email you sometime this week.

Look at that! Almost time for lunch. Okay, all you other idyllers - All-ee, all-ee outs in free!

V.

o

Cynthia-re food/drugs...DD and I had that conversation not too long ago. We were talking about how the REAL drug lords are the fine folk who produce sugar, coffee and cigarettes, lol! I'm glad I've got the sugar thing under control. Had to chuckle at you organizing the bathroom. Jim thinks I'm absolutely CRAZY, and maybe I am. I take Estroven every day. Those foil packets and cardboard boxes drive me crazy, so I pop them all out at one time, stick them in an empty bottle from something else, and label the side with the trusty ol' sharpie :) Not sure what I ever did before the sharpie! Used to have a heck of a time finding Midol in a bottle, too. And, their foil thingies weren't the pop out kind...you had to peel back the foil. Of course, you could never get a hold on the edge of the foil...most frustrating, and at the worst possible time, lol!

Hi, Martie! What a great gift....if only my DH's profession was something other than farming :)

Honey, MIL has a computer, so is able to order her movies online. She's really happy with the arrangement. She's pretty hard to buy for-it gets harder every year to think of something original.

I've gotten all caught up on my laundry, had lunch, and now I think I'll head up to the treadmill. It's either that, or clean something :(
Have a good day, all!
Brenda

o

I am goofy I know but here's what I've been up to. V-it's that science project you've been waiting to hear about...this is my brain before Caf-fiend coffee...

And this is my brain AFTER....

lol--NOT; ). These are a shot of some sugar crystals AJ grew and I did some playing around using paintshop. Imagine if I had a really good camera-these would be awesome!

Jerri can you see me? I'm clapping my hands and cheering because you figured out why you over eat-good job! I'm happy you are feeling good about yourself: )

Don't mean to be short here-just trying to get the house back on track after the holidays. Tree taking down festivities happen this weekend but there's plenty of other things to tackle.

Belated wishes for a healthy,happy,2006 filled with random acts of kindness toward strangers as well as familiars; )

~Babs

o

Gray day here, started off snowing then turned to rain. At least there isn't much left to shovel!

V, the Drake Hotel sounds wonderful. What a lovely getaway for you and DH.

Jerri, your goals are great. I especially like "allowing others to go on their path without trying to be traffic director". I'm not one for resolutions either, sudden changes don't sit well with me. Glad you are safe from the fires; you are welcome to all of the snow and ice we have here...

Cynthia, bath pearls in the middle of the day - how decadent!

Hi Martie - I'm looking forward to the trip to Logees. It will be my tropical getaway! I don't like winter much, and mid-January is when I usually start talking to myself when I see the ads on TV for tropical destinations. It will be nice to see some color in the middle of winter. Hmmm - a project for your DH. I've always wanted an arbor with a bench, or how about a pond?

Sue, LOL about Tom and the timer. Is it the round one with the clock lines and the two slides that are moved to on and off times? Talk about puzzling yourself, it took me a while to figure out that timer. I have 2 lights and a heating mat in the basement. Every year DH and I stare at the nest of extension cords and scratch our heads, trying to remember how we connected everything last year, but to me it is worth it - starting seeds in the basement is my sanity this time of year. I've enjoyed the cuttings this year too - something new for me.

GB, I love the rose! If I close my eyes I can almost smell it. Your photographs are so beautiful.

Well, time to open my eyes and go pick up my little darlings at school.

-Wendy

o

Good to see you back posting, Bug. Happy today to you, too.

Brenda, we've been getting Mom gift certificates to her favorite restaurants for the last couple yrs. She rarely keeps anything I buy for her and I'm usually the one that winds up trudging to the store to return it for her. So this yr. in addition to the gift certificates, I ordered from catalogs that give you a prepaid return label for the USPS. Then all she has to do is slap the label on the box and put it in her mailbox.

The other thing we do is get the "kids" (20 & 30 somethings) gas cards. One yr. I didn't do it and bot them gifts instead for more money and they were reeeeeaaaaaaallllllly disappointed. It's easier and always fits, lol.

Well, tree is emptied, ornaments are sorted and the place is half back to normal. Lunch break is over nad I need to get back at it. later.

o

The treadmill still works :) Spent an hour walking and watching "Animaniacs" IMO, one of the best cartoon shows ever. And, I hear that Warner Bros is going to release them on DVD in July. It's the little things in life..
Honey, I never thought of gas cards for the kids..that's a great idea! Christina is easy for me to buy for, but Phillip is pretty tough.
MIL called earlier..the smaller of our two dogs, Sarah, had wandered up the road to visit her. Had to go up and wrangle her into the truck. Brought her home and tied her up for a while. She's a tough nut to crack. Figures, she's the puppy Phillip got me for Mother's Day........he was always fond of bucking authority, too ;)
Laundry is done and folded, so I might as well go the extra mile and put it away.

BTW, Jerri-I'm rooting for ya getting your weight/health issues dealt with. I can totally identify with wanting to be healthy for the first time in your life. I changed my eating habits because I wanted to feel good...the weight loss is just a bonus. Thanks for sharing your journey with us!
Brenda

o

Good Evening, It's so nice to be done with all the busyness of the holidays. I updated my rolodex, organized and shredded lots of papers, payed bills and cleaned out a cupboard today. A couple members of my garden club came over this morning. They wanted me to demonstrate to them my method of wintersowing. And I went and got tickets for Honey and I to go to two lectures in Feb and March, one with Dan Hinkley and the other with Tony Avent. I can't wait! The snow is just about all gone here and everything looks dull, dirty and gray. We could really use a little sunshine.

Wow Babs, that's some brain you've got there! LOL!

Marie, I need to start watching what's going into my mouth too. I know I put on some pounds over the last month. My jeans are tighter. Your rose photo is beautiful.

Sue, I think my coleus are a lost cause. I have so neglected them that they look bad enough to be tossed and that's just what I may do with them tomorrow. I'm just not into nurturing the tropicals this winter, too many of them and not enough time with Bella.

Michelle, poor Kenzie and poor you. Hope both of your colds are getting better. You always inspire me by the timely manner you get your projects completed.

Hi Jerri, your resolutions sound right on target. All good ones.

Martie, congrats on keeping the cyclamen alive and healthy!

Hi to everyone else!

Oh, almost forgot. T, I finally printed out your hard to solve Sudoko puzzle for Brad yesterday and he had it solved in half an hour. He wanted to make sure I tell you that, lol.

Gotta go tend to Bella. Have a nice evening all! Eden

o

Thanks eden for the compliment on my 'brain'; ) At least you understand me...right? It's Ok not many people do lol: )

So what is it with this place-WHY is everybody so quiet?? Somebody please talk to me. I am getting a hole drilled into my tooth tomorrow at 8:30 a.m.-please have a moment of silence at that time tomorrow. I do have good news though-apparently Dr. Dentist doesn't think I need a root canal-yet. He wants to watch the tooth until I really need the root canal-glad he's not "yank-the-nerve"happy.

I AM self centered tonight because I just need to be-no apology. (jerri-how's that?)

Re: coleus. I sent mine to Deanne to perpetuate the species-my coleus are zilch/nada/dead...I'm with Sue on indoor plants-I'm just not good at it...I like to blame it on the light exposure(there is NONE).
Deanne it's time to come back,dear.

Carry on.

Chardonnay anyone?

~BABS

o

Mariane? I hope you're doing well. These long absences are hard on the nerves. What about you, EP. Are you still busy? Hope to hear from you both soon. Chelone same goes for you. Glad to see your smiling pics GB. Great to have you back!

I have to make this quick but wanted to thank Taryn from Alena for the birthday wishes. Happy Birthday back to Devin from us. I read your note re Alena's Bday, told Alena and then promptly forgot to say thanks. So you see, you don't top me in the bad memory thing. The only way I remember thing one is if I write it down. I mix up the names of my kids for goodness sakes. Anyway thanks for remembering Alena. We had a lovely dinner out as a family, then she prompty fell sick with a cold that is lingering. At least she doesn't start school until January 9th.

Sue did you hear from Deanne? I was thinking of emailing her, but wanted to wait for news from you.

I have to skedaddle. Today did not go well paperwork wise. I kept making calculation mistakes and pretty much had to start from scratch, so am way behind. :(

Take care all and Idyll on.

Yeona

o

Good ice covered morning! Just realized that I never sent all good thoughts to Jerri, Marie, Ei and others who are making a new start with physical health care. It isn't easy, some days, but is sure worth it the first time you walk a long way and realize you want to keep going!

Indoor plants here are hit and miss. I can keep fragile things going but the "regular" stuff nearly always dies. Go figure.

And as far as (re)organizing, I'll do it next week. LOL

V. - I think I found the perfect solution for storing garlands (we are huge fans of garlands). Use one of those wooden hangers that comes apart at the bottom where one would normally hang pants. There's always somewhere in a garland that allows a bit of squishing while keeping the rest as pristine as possible. Put that part on the pole and leave both sides hanging. Many can fit on one hanger, cover it all with an upside-down garbage bag, and WALLA!

Still trying to decide how to use Rich (umhph, his labor gift :-) Have narrowed it down to a paring sink in the kitchen OR an arbor for each end of the bird/butterfly/ general nature garden path. For scale, they need to be smaller than I'd like, but with two it will give the "base" the garden needs without being overwhelming.

Everyone's plans for lectures and gardening gatherings sound wonderful. The influx of catalogs just isn't enough???? Not here, either. LOL

Best to all -- hope the quiet of some just means they're gearing up to come back.

Martie

o

Babs, my weekly staff meeting starts at 8:30 so here is the moment of silence for your tooth a few minutes early...

o

Thinkin' of ya Babs!!!

Eden

o

G'morning.

Sending good thoughts to Babs!

Eden, tell Brad that I want to know "HOW???" I'm in awe! Congratulate Brad--he's awesome!

It is a coffee with Baileys type of morning. I'm thinking that just going back to bed for the rest of the month sounds like a great idea.

OH! I received a Heronswood Nursery catalog yesterday that was beyond gorgeous (to me anyway). Wonderful eye candy and I was mentally placing plants in my yard. I was impressed.

My best to all......
T.

o

I'm thinking of Babs, who should be out of the chair by now, and I'm thinking of T and picturing her in bed with the covers pulled up and the Heronswood catalog at her side. Sorry Babs, but I'd rather be T!

(Warning - whine time ahead) My coffee is not good this morning. And if it's going to rain all of January, is there a way that I could at least have a little light when I drive to work? It stinks to drive to work in utter blackness.

(okay, whining is done)

I have a confession to make - my attempt at coleus overwintering was an utter failure last year. I can successfully handle bigger plants, but I don't do good with those little fussy ones.

Babs, your brain is a thing of beauty. I usually have a couple of science projects in process at any given time, but I usually keep mine in the fridge. Someday, I will find the cure for AIDS in there!

The old pea brain can remember that there are a couple of questions I didn't answer, but I don't recall who asked them. Someone asked if The Drake is the hotel with the ducks. It would seem appropriate from the name, but no waterfowl at this hotel. The place with the ducks I think is in Nashville.

And maybe it was Wendy who asked what Idyllunion is? We've done two of these so far. The first was held in Michigan and the second in Connecticut. Somewheres around fifteen of us idyllers (along with various and sundry spouses) got together from all over the place for a long weekend to meet in person, see each other's gardens, visit garden centers and eat some incredible food. They have been a ton of fun, we never run out of things to talk about and as Taryn noted the first year, none of us turned out to be a 12 year old boy! There's a separate Idyllunion 2006 thread started, and I need to update it real soon. All of the idyllers are welcome. And if you're a lurker, un-lurk and introduce yourself!

Martie, I like your idea! We keep most of our decorations in our crawl space, and I could hook the hanger over one of the pipes or beams in the ceiling area. Our crawl space is up high in the basement, and since we built on a gravel hill the area is always very dry and great for storage. Of course, when I'm 70 I'll be hiring a teen to climb in there for me.

Last night I got three loads of laundry done and folded, and so for this second in time I am caught up on laundry. One new Ebay listing done, and a few other miscellaneous jobs done.

If you don't want to do laundry, here's another sudoku link. If you find it hard, these puzzles will tell you when you have the right answer in a square, so it's easier to get the hang of it.

Have a good day, and send some sunshine my way!

V.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lovatts sudoku

o

My cold is no better and my cough is horrible. I think my throat looks like Babs brain. Last night around 2:00 a.m. our electricity kept flickering on and off. I imagine with all the ice on the lines. I was awake coughing, thats how I know. I really didnt feel like it, but I did take down most of the C. decorations last night.
We are supposed to see the sun for a while this a.m. The weatherman said that we have had 4 hours of sunshine since Christmas. Our 2 miles of gravel road is solid ice.

RE: sudoku puzzles, I havent checked them out, but I dont believe I would get into them. I have enough to keep my brain busy these days.

I have to admit that I had to Google Logees to see where Wendy and Martie are going.

I just threw out the coleus that were in water. They had rooted nicely but were turning black. I still have a c. Kiwi Fern in a pot that isnt doing too badly.

I miss Deanne as well. Not that I dont miss others who dont post daily, but you really notice when the regulars are missing. Wheres Marian?

Marie, both of your latest pictures are stunning.

Babs, hope all went well at the dentist.

Later
Michelle

o

Hi everyone, I don't ever remember having so many dark and gloomy days in a row. It's warm today, in the 40s, and drizzly rain but we're expecting snow the next few days. I just finished concocting spaghetti sauce for tonight's dinner. It's simmering away on the stove. I'm going downstairs now to see how many plant victims I've killed so I can lay them to rest, lol.

Michelle, I'm so sorry to hear that your cold's worse. If you have a sore throat and cough you better go to the DR.!!! I hope Kenzie's cold is better. I hate it when the little one's get sick. We've been lucky with Bella so far. She's never had so much as a sniffle.

V, looks like there's alot of yes responses on the Idyllunion thread. I can't wait!

Cynthia, speaking of seeds I'm supposed to send you some of the ornamental peppers if I remember correctly. Anyone else need some while I'm at it?

Marie, I've got your winter photo on my desktop. You're one of the few people I know who can capture the beauty of winter for me. Usually pictures of snow just look cold and wet to me, lol.

Babs, so how was the dentist visit?

Well off to the basement for me...Later, Eden

o

Mrfffgrphhmrpphphrmmm--oops I forgot to remove that disgusting cotton 'log' from my mouth(sorry I'm a little gross today; ).
Hey I do appreciate your *prompt* silent thoughts regarding my drill session Sue & Eden!You guys made all the difference in the world; ) T,V, & Michelle's kind thoughts soothed the residual postdrilling stress lol.(actually in all seriousness I do sometimes get a migraine after dental work like that-does that ever happen to you guys?) I've got to say about the only freaky part of getting the filling was having a needle inserted into the gum...and he HOLDS it there just entirely too long for me even though I didn't feel it. The focal point relaxation method from my good old Lamaze days was quite helpful(I probably would have freaked him out had I started panting though)lol. I LOVE that they now use the white porcelain fillings instead of the high visibility silver ones. The entire procedure was pretty uneventful except I did bite the dentist-oops! I was SO embarrassed because he's the sweetest guy-he did say it happens a lot-occupational hazard? ; )
I had so much fun I'm going back next Thurs. whooo hooo. This time it'll be my first root canal(after all). He wasn't sure it was going to happen but the third x-ray showed a problem at the root so the root canal is definite. Well at least I get a beautiful white veneer cap out of the deal-I'll get my money's worth and smile continually for the next 50 years. I don't want to see the bill though!

I do know Deanne has been very busy but I was wondering about Chelone-she's way too quiet. Hope things are Ok with her.

Poor Michelle-somehow I can hear your misery-is Kenzie improving? You need chicken soup! This sounds weird but I keep hearing that if you have a cough, putting Vicks vapo-rub on the bottom of your feet will stop the cough. When you get to the point you can't stand the coughing-maybe give the remedy a try? I'm going to try it next time I get a cough.

T I sipped coffee with ya- at 9:30 I was home from the dentist having some joe sans the Bailey's. Since the novacaine was still giving me droopy mouth I had to sip with a straw!!lol. It really has been such dreary weather here-I would like some sun right about now. Aj was supposed to have cross country ski classes at school this week-but there's no snow! Such a weird winter.

V-cheer up, the mornings will start getting lighter I just know it...I think January is the hardest month to get through...just 26 more days to get through(If I were you I'd slap me). When Aj was bummed that xmas break was over I suggested we count how *close* Easter break is(ba haha!)It's something like 13 weeks away-I guess that wasn't a good suggestion.
Should I reveal that I hire a woman to pose as 'Babs' for get togethers and I'm really just a 13 year old boy? Nah-you'd never believe me; )

I'm off to get something done...

~Babs

o

Babs, January may be even harder for you to get through when you realize there are actually 27 days left. But who's counting?

o

Just a quick drop in while Im "at lunch" -- I've been lurking a time or two recently -- but holiday and relatives have kept me pretty busy -- unfortunately, one relative has had some serious depression problems recently and Im quite concerned about her. But hopefully with having made it to 2006, now Im hoping the professionals will find the right combination of treatment for her.

Im so sorry, Mary, for your loss -- I know that the loss of your best gal friend and family must be so devastating to you and your daughter -- one can only grope for words of comfort to share -- A tough, tough thing no matter what a person's age is.
I still do not have a digital camera - I keep vacillating and restrained myself from buying one as a "me" present at Xmas -- but keep wishing I had or should.....especially after I see all the wonderful photos that continue to be posted here from time to time.
I've Finally gotten a couple of garden catalogs (was thinking they'd all dropped me from their lists or something) and the wish fires have been lit -- altho I'd sworn I would only buy a couple of garden ornaments this spring.... aaaeeeiiii....
Im sorry you're feeling so under-the-weather, Michelle -- that's a bad way to start off the new year. I hope you get better soon.
I confess that I am NOT missing the cold and snow of winter -- altho I know the snow insulation is so good for our plants -- my checkbook is liking the lower heating bill (money saved there, is money to buy new plants!).... but of course, it's early days yet -- and the Bad Man of Winter is sure to return soon I suspect.

Still have the Xmas tree to take down (it's coming down a lot slower than it went up!).....trying to get back to "bidness" here at the office.

O, my -- Babs - you Bite the dentist? LOL!!! Served him right for putting his hand where .... hmm, guess we'll let that go, uh?

All the rest of you guys who are being so domestic and organizing -- wow, what vigor to start the new year off with...as said before, Im only just getting the Xmas tree down now! Here's hoping I catch some of this contagen you've got going on -- the Organizer Germ.

-Cindy

o

'Thanks' Sue now I'm in the dumps-and it only took one additional day in January for me to get there. Couldn't you let me have my fantasy? lolol; ) I forgot the rhyme...

Thirty days hath September,
April, June and November;
All the rest have thirty-one,
Excepting February alone,
And that has twenty-eight days clear
And twenty-nine in each leap year.

I will remain the optimist and remind y'all that we are closer to spring now than we were in September!....: ) If anyone had snow I'd be bombed by balls of it right about now.

Cindy-this time of year really is hard on those with depression between holiday bustle and dreary winter weather. I hope your family member gets back on track quickly.
(psst) it's Ok I haven't been infected by the Organizer Germ I must have good anti-bodies. I'm very anti-housework oriented lately : ) The tree must come down on sat.-I figure it's less of a fire hazard then lol.

Need to look busy...
~B

o

Babs, back in the old days when my sister had to have orthodontia, she went to see - get this- Dr Root. She bit him deliberately, often. He earned his money!

Today DH and I went to discuss riding mowers at the Kubota equipment store nearby. I seem to be more persuasive than I thought and convinced DH that we needed a replacement. I guess he thought a hand push mower on 10 acres was sufficient. It probably would do wonders for keeping me in shape, but there are other things to do around here too. We arranged that the dealer will sell the old one to his mechanic for his parents and that will pay for the outstanding repairs. Then we ordered a new (tested by his Mom for 30 hours last summer) gas mower which will be delivered in April. That is a big relief for me.

Day 2 of Miracle Soup and exercise here...also more practice with PhotoShop. It is soggy, misty and drizzly and about 40F here. Haven't seen sun in ages which is a bummer. (Okay, I got today's date wrong...I'm still a beginner at this.)

o

I had to drive 10 miles to the hospital for a mammogram early this afternoon. I actually had to put on sunglasses. It was so enjoyable to drive in the sunshine.

Babs, your account of your dental visit gave me a good chuckle. Sorry to hear that you have to go back. Ill try the Vicks tonight, it cant hurt can it?

Whoo hoo, Marie is getting a new mower.

Cindy, I vote that you buy yourself a digital camera. We love pictures here.

Hopefully, Deanne pops in here soon. I see she just posted a fabu fabu card on Moniques birthday thread.

Michelle

o

Hey ho all,

Holidays are over and done with and Im so out of touch I dont think Ill ever catch up here. Thanks to everyone for asking about me. Just busy etc.

Mary, I was so incredibly sorry to hear about your friend. What a terrible tragedy. I hope Annie is coping better by now.

Jerri, Good for you!!!!! Im so very impressed with your post. Sounds like you are making fantastic progress.

Babs, bummer about having to have the root canal after all. So far Ive been spared that type of fun time in the dentists office. I think if my dentist had told me I needed a root canal Id have bit him too. LOL - RE coleus, the Pineapple Wizard is doing fine and Ill have cuttings to send you in the spring.

Eden, that spaghetti for dinner sounds wonderful and Ill bet your house smells divine. Wish I lived closer, Id invite myself over for dinner. I cant believe you killed plants! Let me know if you need any cuttings. Things here are looking good so far.

Monique., speaking of cuttings, would it be possible for me to get a cutting of that fabu-fabu fuchsia you planted in that container with the caladium?

Michelle, so sorry about the cold! Sounds nasty. So far weve been spared the winter colds and flu. I hope our luck continues.

V, heres hoping you have some sunshine. ~~ BTW- Idyllunion 2005 happened in NH as well! Tehe

So T are you going to get those curvy beds in this year???

Marie, gorgeous photos! You make drismal winter look beautiful.

So you arent going to believe this one, Doug is in a cast again. Yikes, he is not a happy camper. Hes had a sore on his big toe for six months now (yes I did say six months, you remember this is the man who walked out of the ER on a broken leg). Anyway, he finally broke down and went to see a podiatrist last week and the doctor put him in a cast for three weeks so the toe could heal. The bummer about this is no Rumba lessons or any dancing for us until that foot heals up. Maybe he didnt want to learn the Latin dances?

OK time to run. Ive got to get the fish tank cleaned out and water the coleus. Ill have cuttings available in the spring for all the coleus killers out there. LOL

Oh yes, it is time to plan our mid-winter NE Idyll get together. Is there any particular weekend in February better than others for you guys??? Sue, Monique, Martie, Wendy and anyone else interested? I do have two guest rooms should anyone else like to zip to NH for a party.

OK now I really do have to go and do fish duty. Have a good evening everyone,
Deanne

o

Today's happy anecdote:

I came home from work and halfway down the driveway I noticed a lot of small branches in the driveway. Over to the side, there was a medium-size tree (scrub tree) on its side with lots of evidence of a freshly broken trunk. Hmm, that wasn't there when I left this morning, and from the number of branches and angle of the break, it must have fallen across the driveway. So how did it get off to the side?

Once I got to the house, I found the answer - a UPS package on the front porch. The UPS driver sure went the extra`mile today to deliver the package, and saved my back in the process! So be nice to the next UPS driver you see.

Hi Deanne! How could I have forgotten New Hampshire and Massachusetts? It was a tristate idyllunion, for sure.

V.

o

I was able to salvage 3/4 of the coleus, though they now look like stubs, and all of the scented geraniums. That's as far as I got today. Tomorrow will be on to grooming (and pitching a few) of the other tropicals. I am amazed at how much abuse coleus can take and still stay alive. The spaghetti dinner was a success, though David complained about the addition of mushrooms to the sauce. Bella's here this evening and not in a very good mood. I think she's tired but it's too close to bedtime to put her down for a nap. So we'll both have to suffer for the next couple of hours, lol.

I almost forgot to mention the reason I was posting. YEAAAAAAAAAAAA! Deanne's back! Missed you! What a bummer for Doug, being in a cast just when he was becoming Fred Astaire. Seriously, hope his toe heals quickly. Thanks for the offer of cuttings. If I pay attention to them from here on out I think I can salvage mine but I'll remember the offer just in case.

Gotta go take care of Miss Crankypants...Eden

o

Since we are limiting online time I thot about using the word processor and cutting and pasting when convenient so I might not be making many responsive comments. We did have a moment of meditation for Babs tooth.. and plan to try Maries diet soup, just got our Spring JC Penney catalog including some Da type crocheted sweaters and some things similar to some I had 30 years agoI might still have some of it. (somebody told me to hang on to my patterns.. should have listened). Been raking, watering, trying to get rid of anything dry near the residence.. it is just common sense when its been so dryFound someone who wanted our 1995 computer which still had a working word processor and some other good programsintelligent company for holidays, professional student, masters student, and undergradgood entertainment including Walter Cronkite presentation of concert from Vienna and some entertaining ice skatingforgot to watch the parades on Monday Trees full of chirping birds today For whoever is having mammograms /or other/ good luck! I tried posting a link re medicare cuts for oncology but the message was rejected. It is good to try to keep up on current legislature. Not much to chit chat about from here. EP

o
Future Idyll

My Little Future Idyll:

She tried to type a message to you all, but unfortunately it was in "baby type"

Michelle

o

Hi everyone

McKenzie is soooo cute! Wonder what she was telling us!

Hi Deanne - nice to see you back. We all missed you. Hope Doug's toe heals quickly.

Babs - glad you made it out of the dentist's chair still able to smile and joke. I nearly always give myself a tension headache after the dentist - and thats just from cleanings and paying Annie's orthodontist bills lol!

Thank you again everyone for your kind words. We are all hanging in here and doing a little better each day. Annie's first day back at school went well and she met with a counselor who gave her a copy of "The Falling of Freddie the Leaf" to read. I had emails and a phone call from several of her teachers all reporting she was doing OK and sending support. I've felt drained of emotion at times and think I'll never cry again, then find myself in tears at inappropriate times. Getting back into our school/work routine is helping. I'm in the middle of writing to Susan's parents and will feel better when that is done.

We're having the same weather as GB, rainy, overcast and very depressing. If it's the same tomorrow I might just join T in going back to bed with a coffee and Baileys.

I'm heading there right now with a warm milk and some seed catalogs. This year I have the yen to grow more veggies. I'm thinking of different hot peppers, pickling cucumbers for Annie, baby bok choy, Japanese eggplant and a type of small melon we had in France. The deer, rabbits and woodchuck are in for a treat!

Nite all

Mary

o

I'm too tired to write. (Guess who's back at work and paying for it?) But justed wanted to say Hi. I'm especially glad to see GB and Deanne are back! Long days and a short week, and 10 minutes on the floor with the dogs feels like a vacation. It's all perspective, the less time you have the more you appreciate every little moment :-) There are 2(!) cats on my legs and I have to disturb them now and get to bed. Best, Cynthia

o

Mary-I am off to bed now but had to say you are doing well considering what's on your mind. I'm happy for Annie-though don't be surprised by setbacks-just as you break down at the most unexpected times-it goes the same for our 'little' kids but they don't always express it in tears. Sometimes big events don't settle in our brains until time passes a bit. I know you'll handle the future well though. You're doing great and more hugs sent your way(never too many hugs). Glad you are looking forward to the future-more veggies!

Deanne- i feel terrible that Doug has the cast and discomfort of his foot wound! And now you can't dance-that must be so hard for both of you! I hope that heals quickly. And I hope you are back to snuff-we missed you,madame.

Michelle so did you get cozy with the bottle of Vicks tonight? lol. I need a report back if that worked-I've been curious for so long: )

I wish tomorrow was a bailey's kinda day...nope tomorrow is playground monitor day-who hoo!

Too tired to write more...
Hi Cynthia.

Lights OUT!
~BAbs

o

Good misty morning. Reminds me of an old rhyme from my very early days:

'Twas a misty, moisty morning
When cloudy was the weather
I chanced to meet a handsome man
Clothed all in leather.

He began to compliment
And I began to grin.
How do you do, how do you do,
How do you do again.

Heaven knows why my mother thought this was a good thing to teach a four-year-old, but to this day it makes me feel "pretty."

For those looking for something to celebrate today: Happy 12th Day of Christmas!!!! Wearing purple is the tradition so it can't be a bad thing, right?? LOL

So Good to see Deanne and Cynthia back.

Also good that Babs made it through Round I. I couldn't even send good thoughts and for that I'm sorry. As a true dentistphobe any thoughts at all make me break out in a cold sweat. Also good that Doug's toe is on its way to healing.

Marie: Your last image is (as usual) amazing. I've just stared at it for about five minutes and found enormous peace after thinking about dentists. Thank You!

If the offer of pepper seeds still stands, Eden, I'd love some. I like to use them in mixed containers.

Thanks for the info about Idyllunion. Wish I'd been around last year while everyone was in Connecticut. Where did you go? And, Michelle, don't feel bad about not knowing Logees. The reason this trip was put together was because some very serious gardeners from the NE Gardening Forum had never heard of it nor been there. It is a frequent inclusion in Horticulture Magazine tours and serves as my sanity during the winter. There is truly nowhere else like it. Even Rich the non-plant person will readily make the trip (he loves the century old Lemon Tree.)

Kenzie and Bella could start their own forum! They can talk about all the baby veggies, fairy gardens, and Alpine plants and trade recipes for the best finger foods. Additionally, they can start to make plans to take care of V.'s garlands when she can't get into the crawl space.

On that note, everyone enjoy their day, Bailey's included or not, and NOW there are 26 days left :-)

Martie

o

Looks like today is the day ads start appearing for me at GW. I had to sign in this morning and now I see ads for the first time along the bottom and side margin. So far no animated pop ups though.

Just found out my best friend from 1st grade lost her dad on Monday. After some consideration I think the 2-4 PM calling hours today at the funeral home will be my best bet since I have to drive almost 2 hours to the Boston area. As much as I really should do the funeral, it's at 9 tomorrow morning and getting there through suburban Boston rush hour traffic would be a bear.

Yay, Deanne is back. A mid winter idyll get together sounds good. I basically gave up on the warm weather getaway-not enough time to research and find a decent place. Any weekend is good if we schedule in advance. Speaking of scheduling, I'd better write Martie's Logees thing down now that I have a January calendar. Otherwise I may forget.

OK, better get moving since it's going to be a short work day today.

Sue

o

Good morning! Martie, the hanger idea works just great! Smiles to you for that suggestion. What problem can I have you solve next?

Michelle, I hope you feel a little better this morning. Kenzie is a definite cutie-patootie! That picture makes me smile!

Things that do not make me smile: my car. :-( I picked it up last night, and after a little while it started running a little better, but after driving DD's car for 2 days I realize just how bad my car is. I just really dislike dealing with car stuff. I think I really need to get DH to seriously consider a new car sometime this year.

Cynthia, what do you drive? I remember that it's a Honda and I also remember thinking that I liked the size of it.

Mary, I'm still sending good thoughts your way. I hope each passing day becomes a little easier. I need to start planning the veggie garden as well pretty soon. My toughtest challenge is planting the right number of things, so I don't end up with 8 gazillion of one thing and 2 peas. I planted early broccoli last year which was good, but my four plants barely yielded enough to do anything with for a family of four.

EP, stay safe from the fires. Good to know you are taking precautions.

V.

o

Sheesh! Ads are back and I had to log in this morning - I assume that means my membership expired - I don't remember when I signed up. All very annoying....

o
Another change

Why is my GW member name coming out in small letters? It's always been all caps....odd.

o

Good morning!

I'm grumbling & growling this morning...couldn't just access the site, had to tell the site who I was, give my password and then got message boxes that say the site isn't secure. I'm getting floating ad for an iVillage survey (WRONG time to be asking my opinion on the site, lol). I also had an email from EP saying that she had difficulty yesterday in trying to post here and difficulty accessing the site this morning. She said if the problem continues, we won't be hearing from her much or if at all. I did let her know that it appears to be a problem within the site and not just her being targeted.

So....................a Bailey's type of morning?! You betcha! In January, the reasons for a Bailey's morning...well, the reasons become a little less 'stringent'. :oD Lest anyone believe my Bailey's tipping borders on the 'oh my!'.....I use about a tablespoon each cup of joe. 26 days left? I might get up to more........lol.

Kenzie looks so cute at the computer! Michelle, I hope you are feeling better.

V, good for your UPS delivery person. I called UPS Tuesday to make a complaint. They left a package tied to our mailbox down on the main road. The weight of the package held the hopper of our locking mailbox open. It rained a lot.....the hopper collected a fair amount of rain and there was no way to get the mail out of the box without getting the weight off of the hopper handle and dumping the rain water into the box. I wasn't smiling when I pulled very wet magazines and a card from Jamie. The delivery person had noted that they 'delivered to the front door'. Growl! It was a temp person on their last day of holiday employment so I guess it just didn't matter to them. The package ($90 worth of medication for my German Shepherd) hung down at the road for 17 hours per UPS' records of when it was delivered. Thankfully it was stolen. They apologized and said it shouldn't happen again as it isn't their policy to leave packages in unsecured areas. They've always been great, so this was an oddity (and I figured it wasn't our regular delivery person).....but I wanted to let them know it happened and that my tail wasn't wagging over it. :oD I do like the 'big brown' and your delivery person sounds like the norm we've come to appreciate.

Babs, sorry to read that a root canal is needed. :o/ I've not enjoyed the pleasure of that procedure although some have said 'no problem' when they've had them. I'll be thinking of you. (DD has told me that she is often bitten)

Deanne, sorry to read that Doug has to wear the cast. Hopefully he'll heal well and be back to dancing with you soon.

Well......hello to all and I'll see if this will post......

T.

o
RE: Idyll 248: A New Oops!

LOL...........The prior note should have read "Thankfully the package was NOT stolen". I'd better check the markings on that tablespoon?

The multiple ads are very annoying. I am thankful that I'm not the only person seeing them for the first time.....perhaps it is a glitch and not something we'll have to put up with from now on. Woody, I have 6 months left until I'm no longer considered a contributing member. I hope they continue to honor my payment until that date (they said they would honor people's prior commitments) so hopefully this is just a glitch that will be worked out.

Sue, I noticed the little letters in my user name line too. :o'

More coffee needed!

o

yep, annoying ads -- and so I took the survey - I encourage you all to do so too -- and tell them how extremely irritated we are about the durned things -- looks like they're looking at more experimentation w/ the site -- so the more people who say we like it just fine as is, the better off we may be?
Thanks, Marie, for your Miracle Soup recipe - I had forgotten about that one - it is a help to keep the calories down and Im going with it starting this weekend.

Deanne, sorry Doug is now out of the dance partner pic - gee, just when the new Dancing w/ the Stars program is expected to start!! And this is not a great time of year to be wearing a cast is it? Hope it mends quickly now that a professional has taken a look at the wound.

T-boy, it's amazing what temps will do in their jobs, isnt it? That's got to be a singular quirk -- trying to tie a package to the mailbox - sheesh. And here I'd been complaining about the delivery people not putting plastic bags over deliveries in inclement weather.

There are things to smile about here - those pics of Kenzie and GB's art photography -- smashing.

V - I noted your "chloelover" comment from GB -- it's fine by me -- since Chloe is my very furry favorite "other child" -- Everyone loves Chloe - cute little white 7 lb. puff that she is. I recall when I first signed up for Gardenweb I was not feeling very imaginative that day and used my standard "user name" -- originally I recall thinking that when Chloe started getting her own mail and credit card offers I'd have to start getting worried - now I've used it so long, Im starting to think she's my alter-ego. And she does love gardening (in her own helpful fashion... hee hee).

Happy day to all others - I've got to get to real work here -- not attempting to ignore anyone - just gotta cut this short.
-Cindy

o

Yikes! Heads up, idyllers!!!

I saw a post on the suggestions forum that someone's email address was displayed on their member page and I decided to check mine. No email addy displayed, but my birthdate was listed as Auguest 25th. I thought, "How could I be so stupid as to misspell that?" and went to edit my member page. Well, it's a programming typo, not mine, but to leave the member page edit they demanded a full name, zipcode and gender.

So I have knowingly provided false info, and I am going to update my email address to my "junk" Yahoo address. My current addy has been almost spam-free and I don't want to lose that. If you email me through Gweb, you may notice a delay in replying as I don't check that addy as often. If you already have the other address in your records, you can conitue to use that. Also, T's "back-up system" goes to that address.

In a word, yarrrrgggggghhhhh!

V.

o

I had to rejoin in order to get in. It kept telling me to check my username and password when I would try to log in. Now I'm getting the annoying popups too! Like V they asked a bunch of information so my name is now None Ofyourbusiness. I live in Hawaii and am 75 years old today, lol. Notice the addition of 2006 to my user name too. I'm also using my junk Yahoo email address for this user name. I wonder what's going on with GW? Whatever it is it's very frustrating.

Eden

o
RE: Idyll 248: Happy Birthday !

Happy 75th Birthday Eden12_2006!!! I imagine you can grow most anything in Hawaii? lol

I've been reading over at the Suggestions page. People aren't amused. ;o)

T.

o

Happy 75th Eden! How's the beach today? It's quite sunny here in Beverly Hills, 90210.

Veronica Culver (male)

o

I'm just dropping in for a minute, but I was having the same problems today that you all are. I finally broke down and download Firefox with the ad block extensions. There are a number of posts floating on the GW (suggestions and comments forum in specific) that will explain how to do it. I hear if you are on dial-up it makes a HUGE difference. I'm on DSL, so I'm not really noticing a difference, but the ads are gone!

We are hot and sunny here in the Land of Wildfires. :)

Lisa

o

Hi everyone, Looks like things still aren't straightened out here on GW. I've been doing pretty much nothing around here today. I did do a little more work on my basement garden while Bella was napping. Jen came over and brought lunch. My sister Kelly had to have hernia surgery this morning. She had to have emergency surgery for a burst appendix a couple of years ago and the Dr.at that time didn't do the best job with the incision which caused the hernia. My mom called a little while ago and she came through the surgery ok and was in recovery. They'll be keeping her in the hospital at least overnite. I'm glad about that. Sometimes I think they rush people out too fast. I used to have more confidence in Drs. and hospitals but after Megan's experience last winter with Bella's birth I worry more now. I think it's just that I'm more aware how many things can go wrong and are beyond the Drs. control.

I've always had good experiences with my UPS guy. Now the Fedex guy is a different story...

Mary, I'm glad to hear that you're working through the shock and pain of losing your friend. Also that Annie's getting the support she needs at school. I hope this is a better year for you and your family. You sure deserve it.

Martie, I'd be glad to send you some of the pepper seeds. I'll need to get your home address whenever they get things straightened out so we can email each other again. Or maybe if another Idyller has Martie's email address and mine you could email mine to her. Maybe Deanne or Sue?

Michelle, love the picture of Kenzie at the computer. She looks very busy and very cute.

Hi Lisa, stay safe out out there! Thanks for the foxfire tip. I don't have dial up but the adds still bother me. I tried foxfire once before and it seemed to make my computer lag. I'm using a different computer now though so maybe I'll give it another try.

I must be going.

Eden

o

Fortunately the Canadian contingent here has seen nothing new yet in the floating ads department.

The day started off with a bang. Yes, my stepping machine collapsed as I tried to exercise, something I do while the laundry is chugging away. I need a replacement or something ELSE. Rather than stepping, I used to enjoy a rowing machine when I last went to a gym (back when I lived in the city). I think it offers a more complete workout, not focussing on just one thing. Any ideas that don't cost a fortune?

Another event that doesn't thrill me is that for the first time in 9 years there are deer tracks in the garden. It is only January, so I can imagine what will be devoured come April! Charlotte is less enthusiastic about the outdoors than in her youth, so I guess they know that.

I've been working on updating my phone and address lists...and what a chore that is. Putting them on the computer should help in the long run I hope. It has been 2 years since I've sent out Christmas cards. Perhaps I'll be able to send Valentines if I finish this!

The gloom here is supposed to change to cold gloom overnight. This is a good time of year for my PhotoShop practice.

So Deanne, what does poor DH do while in a cast? It is a walking cast, right? Perhaps you can do some hysterical dances for practice! Or play Rumplestiltskin and weave straw into gold?

Here is a link that might be useful: Fairy Tale

o

Email is still on your home page, it's just buried underneath the 'My Journal.'

I see that I'm one of the few who hasn't changed my name. Ms. Culver, your roots are showing :)

In addition to being 75, I see that Eden's birthday is today! I tried to take the survey this morning but got an error message. Have to keep in mind that the folks who work as website administrators are mostly young and low wage. They're learning. I agree it's wise not to give your name and email though. But some of you are so creative I wish I had had a chance to reinvent myself today! Our contributing member icons are all gone - that's why the ads are there now for all of us. Along the same lines, did you all see the apology from H&R block for sending out some sort of solicitation to previous customer's with their social security numbers on the front of the envelope?!

I have exciting news. Well it is for me. I know some of you will understand. Monty isn't listed on the Greyhound database which shows all the stats and the lineage for each dog. So sometimes I search google using different spellings of his real name to see what I can find. Jackpot Tuesday night!

A page about Monty with his sire and dam listed, 1st owners name and email and another page with pictures of the family he lived with for 7 years. I wrote to her, and she wrote back that night and was just as excited as I was! It's a long sad story and I've known that. I knew he was loved. You could not love this dog.

Monty as a young man:

One more day, one more day and then it's the week-end!

Cynthia

o

I love good news Cynthia!

o

OMG what a pain in the neck, I'm finally back in after spending way too much time creating a new membership and a new email address. Yada, yada, yada. Jeesh.... I hope this doesn't happen again anytime soon.

I'm tired of dealing with this mess so I'm going to say good nite to all.
Deanne

o
A message from Babs

Hi all, just a quick note and then I'm off to bed. I just got an email from Babs and she can't log in either and is just going to wait until GardenWeb gets is act straightened out. I hope that happens soon.

Later,
Deanne

o

I have no trouble logging in but I have to do it every time and every time it tells me I'm being directed to a connection that is not secure whatever the hell that means. Oh well...good morning and

TGIF!

o
Good Morning

OK so where the heck is everyone else this morning and last night??? I'm guessing people are still locked out.

Dreary morning here but warming up.

I'm experimenting with a new eating thing this month and want to see if it helps. I think this is actually that Wendy Plan Yeona talked about last year. I'm having 1,600 calories per day for three days and then the fourth I'm going to eat at maintenance. I'll see how that goes. Maybe it will keep my metabolism from crashing. I've been calculating my calories used by activity level on my FitDay software and I normally use around 3,200 per day when I exercise and around 2,300 when I don't.

Today is my day to eat maintenance and I couldn't bring myself to put cream in my coffee. This is going to take training to eat more when I'm in 'diet mode'.

I've also ordered a couple books about hypothyroidism that a friend of mine recommended. He's had his thyroid removed because of thyroid cancer and has become very knowledgeable about how things work and is convinced that I need to see a specialist. We'll see how this goes.

OK I've got to get off to the gym. I've upped my weight on the AbPower Bench and am now doing my crunches starting with 60 pounds then dropping five pounds after each set of 30 crunches until I do 300 crunches. Sure wish I didn't still have this belly flab so I could see these killer abs I've been working on! LOL They ARE there you just can't see them. tehe I worked with Steve again yesterday and he worked up a new killer upper body workout. I actually have really been getting into my weight training lately and am enjoying it. So off to the gym. Have a great friday everyone. Speaking of which where is Sue's TGIF??? Is she locked out too??? Hope not.

TTYL
Deanne

o

Well, I'm finally in, but like Sue, I got that warning as well. Have to check my member page. I didn't take the survey and I don't have a junk email address. Do you think I'll be bombarded with spam? Geez.

Ennyhoo, good morning, idylls. I feel like a mole. I spent most of yesterday in the furnace/storage room going thru old stuff reorganizing and putting things aside for the spring garage sale. Before that, I reorgd the upstairs hall linen closet, washed and put refreshed linens, extra pillows and blankets in storage containers. I went thru most all the empty boxes I keep for shipping, etc., looking for a neat present my friend gave me last yr. I didnt find it but the closet looks great. The basement looks worse than it did, but Ive made great headway and will continue working on it today.

I suspect Bullet may have a bladder infection and I was finally able to get samples this am. Hes a talker and has had quite a bit to say about this state of affairs. As soon as they open, Ill get him in to the vet. For the new idyllers, heres my baby (pedigree name: "Silver Bullet"):

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Im dying to get into a suspense novel my DD gave me: "Whiteout", by Ken Follett. Has anyone read it? Ill be my reward for finishing the basement project and getting the house back to normal. It looks so empty w/o the xmas dcor.

Cynthia, what great news getting info on Monty. I love the photo you posted.

Mary, my heart just breaks for you and Annie over the loss of your friend. In my expierience, you'll have those unexpected bad moments of grief. When you can, indulge them. It's difficult but part of the process.

I forget who suggested it, but I love the idea of storing garlands on a hanger and I'm going to do it. Thanks. I haven't taken down the ones on the stairs yet b/c I like how I did them this yr and want to wire the decorations on. I will store the ribbons/bows separately tho.

Hi to all. I'm off to have some breakfast, go to the vet and then back to the basement.

Honey

o

well, I can get in this a.m. but had to log on again -- and then still get asked to take the survey (which I've done) -- hmmm -- maybe I should fill it out every time it pops open -- and make weirdo comments to skew their "survey"??? hee hee...
Great pics of Monty -- I've been following his story, Cynthia - even in lurk mode. He's such a darling gentleman.

Honey, you definitely need to reward yourself for all that hard work -- I hope the Very Distinguished looking Bullet gets some good meds quickly from the vet to resolve his discomfort.

Deanne - I tell you -- just reading about your workouts makes me hungry!! I may end up eating for you... not a good thing. Im definitely in the more, lean, major cut calories to healthy ones category (as I've said before) -- but it sounds like it's a general New Year decision most of us are trying to get more healthy and fit, if nothing else. I think I need to make my garden lean and mean too -- I need to really review what's there and how everything is doing - I've spent the last couple years "packing it in" and now it's time to see what's really thriving/surviving and make sure Im getting the bang for the space....
Hope to check in later.
-cindy

o

Cynthia, it sounds like you hit the jackpot in your search for information about your Monty. I loved the photos of him. :o)

Honey, hope Bullet will be feeling better soon. Poor guy! He is one beautiful boy!

TGIF -- and TGIIODCTTEOJ (Thank goodness it is one day closer to the end of January)! My mood and energy is being sucked out at a rapid rate.

Hello to all!
T.

o

Good morning! With very little baby steps things seem to be getting better here.

A little treatise on email here. My first email address was "exposed" on the web and I would get 200 - 300 emails a day. It was time-consuming and often downright gross to sort through those each day to find the important stuff. When I changed email addresses a couple of years ago, I was so relieved to be free of the spam and I am now very protective of that address. It is very easy to sign up for a free email account with Yahoo, so I use that email whenever I have a concern about where my email info will end up. Yahoo will filter the worst of the spam and will put the rest into a bulk mail folder that you don't even have to look at. I highly recommend that everyone who uses the web to any extent should maintain two emails. I laughed at this concept for a long time, but I don't laugh anymore. I mostly smile when I read my email.

Cynthia, I love Monty's story and his pictures. He is a special guy to look so calm while wearing a Sponge Bob Squarepants birthday hat. And you said he wasn't abused! ;-)

Honey, I hope your furball is okay. I hope I never have to get a urine sample from Sunrise. She leaves about a 1/2 inch clearance from the ground, and would probably quit a soon as I got a container in place!

Speaking of Sunrise, she has been very vocal in her displeasure at being kicked out of my bed. The new duvet cover is just way too nice to let her make a mess of it. Now as soon as I can train them to stay off the loveseat I can replace that. The springs are almost shot on that.

Cross your fingers but I think someone is taking my old sofa this Saturday. It will be nice to get that out of the storage room. Then I can become a mole like Honey and spend a week or two in there cleaning it out.

Deanne, good luck with your new eating plan.

For those of you who like to look at cool things, I am including a link to my friend Susan's web page. She hand paints dolls in an early American style and she is almost as amazing as Deanne. The cat lovers need to go to the workshops page and scroll down to see Miss Kitty. I keep expecting the screen to meow.

Enough blathering for now. TTYL,

V.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hand Painted Dolls

o

Holy mackeral what a pain in the you-know-what! So I caved and now have a second email addy-what a pain to set it up-I decided not to change my member name much but had fun thinking of various new ones. Chris got a laugh out of 'babs-tub' as a possiblity but I didn't think you guys would get it or you'd think I was nuts....well,yeah.
BTW my 'name' is Harvey Hooligan and I'm a female(lol)

I've met Bullet and know firsthand what sounds he makes! lol. He can get away with it because he's so beautiful: ) Honey I hope he's OK.

Deanne thanks for relaying my comment-I appreciate it. I bet everybody else is hanging back too hoping the system will be back to normal. Hi to anyone looking in: )

~Babs

o

I think I'll come back as Ariel Sharon and put pics of Bab's brain on my home page. Then flee the homeland...

tgif is right.

Hope Bullet is ok!

o

Cynthia! Flee is right...

Between my new friends Babstub and Ariel, I'll never stop laughing. (I got it right away, tubby.)

When you are ready to take a break from creating new identities, go to the discussions page and read the thread on the NY Times article. Apparently gardening is dead and we forgot to notice.

So what will we do with our time now? Ah, but the pressure is off for idyllunion, since as a baby boomer I now am expected to just have lawn and trees. Oh crap, the lawn looks like he(double hockey sticks) I'm still in trouble...

V.

o

wow, "v" (formerly "V") - I looked at that link for your friend who makes dolls -- they are incredible! those faces look 3-D and eerily real!
I have not yet had to make an alter identity but am impressed that we have so many new [famous or infamous] gardener/idyllers -- who knew? Im considering the moniker "Beltway Bandit" ....
-cindy

o

Well v, you left Chicago, I left Toronto, so "There's a Hindu notion of going from the village to the forest in the third quarter of your life." I think we both would like to maintain the forest.
The NY Times article proves that journalists will go to all lengths to find something to talk about, regardless of facts. Now perhaps the nursery business agrees that sales are declining, and that's because Ariel and her friends have realized the benefits of seed starting, layering, etc. No one I know fits the profile they describe. In fact, to me, that TV screen seen from outdoors is a horror show.

Today I learned a new phrase: "Permanent Botanicals". This means "faux plants" or for realists, fake plants that do not compost.

We are blessed with sunshine on this 14F day, but we need colour here on this thread folks!

I heard from Chelone who is busy at work and annoyed by ads here. And now back to the hard stuff: laundry, teeth whitening, exercise, litter box, dinner prep, and more.

CHIRP!
'bug

o

I thought this link might be of interest to those who have had to give their email address.

Here is a link that might be useful: iVillage terms of Service -- check #13

o

Ok T thanks. Even though my email was never visible, that little note made me change it. All mail will now go to my 'trash' account at Yahoo. And to change that the system did require my date of birth, so it's Jan 1 1903, which is the oldest they allow to compute here. The name change in GW records is official, but my user name is still cynthia,

L'Chaim!
Ariel Sharon

o

So I go to cynthia's, I mean Ariel's member page and the first thing it says is "Live like you're going to die tomorrow..."

Is this a prediction, AS?

v, feeling small even though I'm wearing heels today

o

cough, cough, cough...thats all for now

Michelle

o

Gertrude Henrietta Washington here. :oD

I switched to my yahoo email address just to be on the safe side.

o

It's just been .... a day. On a serious (in other words people were being stupid sensitive) concall, Rippie's needle nose dove into my pocket before I could react and ripped off two tabs of Dentyne gum with cardboard and tinfoil and all. So two hands prying open his big strong toothly mouth and then simultaneously shaking his head to get the stuff to fall out. It did, followed by fancy footwork (mine) shoving it under the desk, and then a body block to retrieve it before he did. He does not take 'drop it' seriously at all.

OK, I'm in Netscape. Much better here. No right hand ads when I read the threads. Even though I have pop up block in IE, the right ads were still there. Now they are gone!

o

Well look at that, I can finally post under my old name again and most of all thank goodness the ads are gone!!! I can't stick around, time to get Bella ready for bed but I just wanted to say that I'm glad that things are getting back to normal around here.

Eden

o

I FINALLY managed to log on ...but even though I entered my present posting name it came on as my original posting name . I was going to test you all to see if anyone knows who I am , but the location gives me away !

o

Garden in Gangel? Where is Gangel?

Okay, I'll behave now.

HI MARIAN!

v.

o

Ads are gone here too but I'm on AOL right now and they usually block everything although I don't see anything in the margins anymore either. Maybe they restored the contributing member benefits? So far I haven't had to make any changes to my member page but I'm trying to decide who I'll be when I do. I don't have a junk mail address. The only other e-mail address I have is one I had to get with Cox when we got the cable internet but I don't use it except to delete the messages I get from Cox.

Got a neat package in the mail today from Deanne. Did you all know you can create your own stamps? I now have Nick and Zoe stamps. Since all I ever mail is a couple of bills I'll have to send you all notes so you can see these creations.

OK, steaks just came off the grill. Time to refill the wine and sit down for dinner.

Sue

o

LOL , Very funny V .
All of my text and my pictures are gone from my member page .
I do not want to be returned to 'gardeningangel ' , it sounds too presumptious , I used it originally because that is what some of Nolon's gardening cousins called me .
I sure hope this is all cleared up , very soon , and back to 'normal' .

I did find a cached page on Google , and saved it to my documents ...but it didn't have the pictures .
~~M~~

o

Evening all,

Well I'm glad some can log in with their old usernames. I tried and nope, nada, no way. I still get the same 'we don't know you' message.

V, your friend's dolls are beyond amazing! The painting is fantastic. I love them. I'll bet Sylvia would really like them as well. Thanks for posting that link.

Bug, thanks for the update on Chelone. I love the photo. That is just gorgeous.

Sue, Soooo... happy you got your package. I was really bummed that it didn't come in time for me to bring it to you at your party. Oh well better late than never in this case. They were supposed to go with the note cards.

Michelle, sure hope you feel better soon.

Have a great evening everyone.

Nite,
Deanne

o

Just call me daphne caucasica; I was allowed to keep "monique" as my username though. I created a yahoo email account just for GW as soon as I saw Vs link about ivillage selling email addresses. This is getting crazy. I miss Spike!!! I kept my birthday but changed the year to 1903.

I also got a great package in the mail from Deanne. Deanne, you really are too much!!! It was very sweet-I love the stamps and all the other items also. I didnt realize that the stamp price was going up so soon. Time to buy some 2 cent stamps.

Maybe Ill have time to read a little more later this w/end. Were taking my mom out for her bday tomorrow to a French restaurant we went to for Mothers day last year. She loved it and well have to suffer thru the meal :o)

GB, the Clem is beautiful!!!

Cynthia-what great news that you found Montys previous owners-how exciting to contact them and get the inside scoop on his "childhood". Must have been nice to hear he was loved.

o

I finally got logged it! What a mess. I got this email today, it's old but I really like it so here goes:

Two Wolves

One evening an old Cherokee told his grandson about a
battle that goes on inside people. He said, "My son, the battle is between 2
"wolves" inside us all.

One is Evil. It is anger, envy, jealousy, sorrow, regret,
greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false
pride, superiority, and ego.

The other is Good. It is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility,
kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion and faith."

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather:
"Which wolf wins?"

The old Cherokee simply replied, "The one you feed."

o

• Posted by taryn S Ontario Z6B (My Page) on
    Sat, Jan 7, 06 at 6:43

Jerri, that is so cool! I loved your resolutions too. Mine are similar but also includes not feeding evil wolves. Hi to all...back to bed for (hopefully) sleep...

Also wanted to add that I keep having to sign in again here but my old username and password work and I didn't have to pretend I live in Hawaii and am a 28 year old thin young lady (though in my dreams this exists, lol!)

T

42 in the snow...

o

I am so thoroughly fed up with this site! I'm still having to log in. There are ads when I come to the page but, once I do log in, the ads go away. The 'remember me' (or however it's worded...) box doesn't seem to do much since I still have to log in if I go away and come back. Reading all the stuff re e-mails prompted me to try setting up a Yahoo account yesterday. Did all the set-up, got the e-mail to activate it, went through the activation thing and, when I try to log in, it keeps taking me back to the log-in page, over and over again. So, I tried it all again with a different account name - same problem... This morning I've been trying to set up a second identity on my ISP - that seems to be not quite right either as I'm having trouble switching back and forth between identities and I'm afraid I'm going to screw-up my regular e-mail! AARRGH!

o
RE: Idyll 248: A New Year, A New Idyll - the new me

I have changed my details on this site to be, more or less, my deceased grandmother! My e-mail address is a second identity on my ISP - but I'm not sure it it works - or whether I'm going to be able to access it or not! (it appears that it will be increasingly difficult to make contact with people here unless it is someone who already has your real e-mail address...) I was forced to put in a zip/postal code - but it wouldn't take the format of a Canadian postal code so they got a random string of numbers!

o

Woody, 99999 worked for me :-) We're not the only ones who are using 1903 as year of birth by the by... Skewing the demographics to a site for ancient gardeners. We'll be seeing ads for memorial services soon instead of Serena William's butt.

Perhaps V's title is prophetic. Ahem.

So good morning peeps! Woke up in the night to a resounding crash, and Katie headed downstairs to investigate while the boys cowered in the bedroom. Katie did not return, so figuring the crash involved food, I went downstairs too. Yep, the kitties had opened the closet and dumped one of the dog food buckets. It landed hard enough to dislodge and cover and they were serving early breaky down there.

Then I had a horrible dream that 'the bad people' had requested my email address from GW and were coming to my house to kill me. Remember that dreams don't have to make sense, but seem logical when you're hiding from a terrorist on route to your haven and trying to find your jeans and some socks that match. Perhaps it was message that I needed to do laundry!

Jerri2105, good parable :)

Hey, today is someone's birthday! I have full day of OH for Rippie (just brushed his teeth and checked his ears) and then I have hair appt. If no one posts a separate BD thread by the time I get back, I'll do that. Since the bds are all wrong on this website, I'll give you all a hint: Taryn.

Ta Ta,

Ariel

o

Hey, what do you know! I finally got to log in :) Why must they complicate everything??????
Don't have much to say, just wanted to see if I could get logged in today. My niece and her family are coming over today, and I gotta get cooking. She wants me to teach her to knit and/or crochet. Could be interesting as she's left-handed and I'm not. If all else fails, I've gotten out my beginner booklets for her.
Now, to see what happens the next time I come here :)

o

Morning all,

It is a beautiful, crisp, clear, blue sky day here. Finally some sunshine and I can tell that the days are getting longer. The other good news is that my tight blue jeans are just a little bit looser this morning. (I'm not planning on getting back on the scale until they fit)I thought if I saw the scale do something obscene, like be ten pounds heavier than the last time I got on it I'd have to kill myself. Anyway, I just finished rearranging my music on my new MP3 player that Doug bought me for Christmas and I'm going to rock and roll at the gym this morning.

We've got a list a mile long of things to accomplish today and I'm just feeling like playing on my computer a bit longer so here I am.

Monique! How fun is that. So happy you got your package too. What do you think about those mouse pads??? How neat is that? I thought you could use one and Les could use one. BTW, do you still have that fuchsia? I MUST have some of that so I can recreate that fabu combo next summer.

Sue, Monique, Martie, Wendy, Chelone and anyone else interested, I'm going to plan for our annual Febuary Idyll get together. Is there any weekend that is better or worse for any of you???? I think Cynthia and GB should fly in for this also. (Wouldn't that be a blast?) MHT is such a short distance you could fly in and out on the same day if you wanted to or stay whichever worked the best.

Michelle, how is that cold doing today??? Have you ever tried Zicam? I've used it for a couple years now and it really does work. If you start using it at the first symptoms of a cold it shortens the duration and lessens the symptoms of the URI. I've not been sick more than three days with cold since I started using that.

Cynthia, good grief, aren't you feeding those furbies? They were so hungry they had to do a pantry raid in the middle of the night? Seriously, it's a good thing you heard the crash or you'd have had some sick puppies in the AM.

Jerri, love, love, love the wolves story. Perfect! Thans for sharing that.

Okie Dokie, I've got to get to the gym to try out that new workout music. Have a terrific Saturday everyone.

Deanne

PS Just for the record I really prefer birthdays on the Idyll thread but majority rules.

o

For Taryn, when she wakes up.

o

I've used firefox to block out the annoying ads here since before they were ultra annoying. When my hard drive crashed and I had to build my bookmark list again, I made the mistake of coming here with IE. Good grief! How you guys manage to read around all the ads is beyond me. I LOVE the Adblock extension for Firefox because I can have it look at the entire page and list off all of the blockable elements. One click at a time, I made the ads disappear. Now all I see on this page is your words, your pictures, and the lack of my own posts. *wink*

I've been having the worst case of PMS ever on top of the 24 hour flu which kinda lingered a little longer than 24 hours. Mostly better now.... I really should take the tree down. I've not been able to see the television for a month. No big loss really... but I wouldn't mind being able to watch my husband playing Guitar Hero. (A silly video game that came with a guitar shaped controller that you play like a guitar.)

I saw something else mentioned in the thread that made me perk up. What was it? Ohhhhh... Animaniacs on DVD this summer? AWESOME!!!

Ok... have a toe that's aching from the ingrown toenail that I need to soak and mess with in order to relieve the ache. Time for me to wander away for a little while again. Take care lovelies....

~Da

o
RE: Idyll 248: part two

Ps....
I am now known to GW as Notta Dummee, male.

~da

o

How are you guys changing your member information on your original existing account? Everytime I try to do it, it sends my back to the login page? This is all DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!

o

Eden, I didn't change any info on my original account. I can't even get into mine.

Hi Da, whoops Notta...

Bug, Lovely!!!!

So since this is the end of the thread I'll put this here and on the birthday thread

o

It took me a couple of tries to get into my profile but I managed to get into it. I've not been here for a week so I missed out on the couple of days when you guys couldn't get in. I did have to log in today in order to post though it appears that the site is at least remembering who I am. (Notta Dummee, that's who!)

Like someone had mentioned happening to them, when I got into my profile page and wanted to change my email, I had to enter a name and zip code. My birthday is in 1904 as well since that would have made me just old enough to appreciate the roaring part of the 20's.... bathtub gin, flappers, and mobsters. I would have been a cute Moll and would have probably went out with either a bang or a whimper. Ok ok... Maybe I should eat so that my brain stops taking these really weird side trips into la-la land.

~da
aka notta
*heheheheh*

o

Good morning! It is like a costume party around here, with everyone changing their identity. I'm able to log in with my original name, but I have to log in every time. They haven't asked for any personal info yet. I guess GW is going through some changes, I read something on another forum - I'll try to post the link if I can find it again.

Nice to see the sun today - I was getting awfully sick of gray. January has to be the longest month of the year!

Cynthia, how nice that you found Monty's family tree. It is great that you know your boy's history now.

Jerri, love the parable about the wolves. Such wisdom!

Deanne, so sorry to hear about Doug's cast! I can definitely sympathize with that, and it must be worse at this time of year with the snow and ice. Hope he is back to the "sweeping you off of your feet" soon! A get-together in February sounds great - any weekend is OK with me. Are you going to Logee's in a few weeks? I'm looking forward to it, I got their print catalog in the mail yesterday and I've been poring over it. I wish it had scratch-n-sniff!

I have finally rid the house of Christmas sweets. Sugar is definitely a drug, and I'm hooked! I am trying to eat more sensibly, but my family is not too supportive. They are the pizza, burger and fries types, and I can't eat like that any more, I don't feel well afterward. Tomato sauce especially seems to bother me. I get a lot of teasing from the kids about my veggie burgers, and even my DH turned down the salmon I bought. I just cooked enough for myself and froze the rest for later!

Michelle, you've been coughing for a while now. Don't let it go on too long before you see the Dr., it may be something more than a cold. Hope you feel better soon!

Have to go now, DS is hovering over me waiting for his turn on the computer. Enjoy the day!

-Wendy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here