Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
veronicastrum

Idyll #422 - The Dove Idyll

veronicastrum
15 years ago

As I contemplated starting a new thread, I opened a Dove chocolate with this message:

"Discover how much your heart can hold"

I know we all have large hearts.

Comments (101)

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

A warm welcome back to our Martie ! We clucked and dithered when you ran away from home friend, but as always its a treat see you back and hear your cheery voice.

Next on the agenda, PM needs to hire an administrative assistant who will read the Idylls to her and then take dictation to compose the response.

And Chelone, fabu, fabu, fabu , and IU worthy to the max ! Throw a tablecloth over that sawhorse work table affair and the cocktail and snack bar will be open for business-with all the windows wide open , and helpmeet tending bar. Im there ! I hope that plastic soda bottle next to Cynthias chair isnt the bathroom.

Julie, you really ought to come to consider IU6, you need a few days vaca from the tumult of the home front- I feel certain Chelone has a wine deck , or a suitable substitute! Let the Phils fend for themselves for a bit !

Deanne, nothing could compel me to take a photo of my pansies unless we start a Plants That Look Like H*ll thread. I actually planted them in September and they are uniformly horrid at this point. I think the relentless frost has taken its toll. Theyll bounce back eventually, but I expect not till March. Im excited about my thistle feeder , and hoping the Goldfinches will find it. I see one occasionally at my regular feeder. Im going to hang it this weekend.

Wow, Moblie huh? Is this a family seat I wonder ?

Time to cook the artichoke for dinner. Went out to lunch today, so light dinner will suffice.

Best to all, and good wishes to Marian .

Kathy in Napa

And per Deannes request, a couple of pics.

Hellebore foetida {{gwi:147320}}From Garden 2009

Love this Euphorbia..I have three now after planting more this fall. 'Helenas Blush' {{gwi:147321}}From Garden 2009

• jak1
    15 years ago

Oh Kathy, I laughed right out loud about the plastic pop bottle next to Cynthia's chair! You are too funny!

Nice plants - does the hellebore smell awful - that is usually what "foetida" means....I once planted a lovely hedge of cleome by our previous home's wine deck - didn;t really add to the ambience in quite the way I had hoped...

We are food-free so today will likely be a big Costco day - I love going to Costco as for us it really is a whole day....shop for dry goods in the morning, nice lunch, perishables in the afternoon, hour long drive home, one of those precooked chickens and a veggie dip plate for dinner....not a bad way to spend a day. I hope the foot or so of snow has been cleared though.

Giving serious thought to IU6 - at least following in Saucy's steps to get birth certificate and passport. Lots of discussion here about train/plain/Maine. I'm sure you get the reference! It better not rain!

Rich has pneumonia? What a crummy time of year to be so sick! Hope he is feeling better, Martie!

Wrexcks is so cute gazing wistfully out the window! - Hey I like that typo in his name....would that work in Scrabble?

Denise, sounds like a busy time for you. You are a brave soul trucking the tandem wheelchairs! I thought taking my Mom shopping using an accessable taxi and a wheelchair was a big deal - but LAX and planes and stuff? Oh boy!

It would be nice if Sue got some of this snow...

Glad Doug is managing a few paid days and the camera is on it's way...You sound relatively chipper, Deanne - good for you!

'Bug, I sometimes wonder about public computer use - lots of my stuff from the library never sees the light of day either. I love thinking about clematis right now, although I am not that big on roses. Already planning the veggie gardens. I think I will start my seeds as soon as we get back from the lodge...

This keyboard is gross! That's gonna be my JJob today - a q-tip and Lotus water will do the trick I hope. I bet that's what happened to my "Oh Dear Deanne" post - the delete button stuck.

Reminds me of one of my work-boo-boos. I had a small office so I placed my keyboard on the windowsill when I wasn't using it. One day it wouldn't work: The diagonosis: it had melted in the sun. The techies thought it was the funniest thing they had ever seen - they hung it up on their office wall as a warning to others. HoHoHo.

Cheers all!

Julie

• saucydog
    15 years ago

Julie, I was in charge of sending the open jobs list to everyone in the company. I sent them all a lovely virus, and I got thanked repeatedly by tech. It was back when we were still using some dos-looking programs. I didn't even know what a virus was. Needless to say, I was infamous, too.

Denise, I think it's funny that I feel so old and yet I come here and feel like a young'n. Just another good reason to keep my Idyll friends forever....I think I visited a Navy friend in Mobile, AL. All I remember is lots of laughter.

Chelone, I like Wrecks looking longingly out the window. Do you suppose he's got a line on Mr. Squirrel?

Okay friends. I've gotta get this show on the road. Nick is headed to Texas for all of next week (we're starting a residential side to the business....he's decided to make it a flat rate "menu" system - customer calls, "this is how much it costs") for a seminar. I've gotta hold the fort down, so I'm trying to get as much done as possible before he leaves.

So, with that, I'm headed to the salt mines :)

Saucy

• deanneart
    15 years ago

Good morning all,

Well the sun will be shining for part of this day and Im going to go outside for some mental health time. Hopefully Ill have some nice bird photos to show for it later but today its about being outside and not about getting the photos. Ill have to put on my Yak-tracks because the path to the blind is now four inches of solid, frozen slush.

Yesterday I had the most unusual thing happen. I saw a hawk zip through the yard clutching a bird. It perched just on the other side of the shed. It was probably a Sharp-shinned Hawk as best as I can tell as I couldnt get a really clear look at it through the trees and the sleet falling. About ten minutes later it flew off and when I looked up there was another HUGE hawk perched in the same tree and that was a Red-tailed. It must have stayed there for twenty minutes or so. I dont believe Ive ever had two species of hawks in the yard on the same day let alone within minutes of each other.

Doug is of working at a clients today, woohoo! Cross your fingers that they decide that they need more work done next week too.

Julie, I LOL over your melting your keyboard! That is exactly the kind of thing Id do. Thanks for the chuckles. And yes you seriously should come to IU6. We really have a fantastic time. ~~ BTW, I ROTFLOL over the Bummer remark.

Kathy, thanks for the pics of green and growing things. Marvelous!!! Sorry the pansies arent what they should be right now.

Denise the roads are pretty greasy this morning too. We got a lot of freezing stuff along with the four inches of snow that the storm started out with. Im noticing a lot of shining branches indicating ice this morning as the sun is coming up.

Marian, hope you have power and that you aren't iced in.

Cynthia, how was the Baileys without coffee??? I imagine you were able to choke it down, LOL

Chelone, the salon is looking gorgeous!!!! Wonderful colors. I can visualize the IU gang having an impromptu wine and cheese party there. I cant imagine an interior at 74 degrees at the moment. Wood stoves are great arent they?

Martie, so sorry about Riches pneumonia. Glad to hear your camellia is blooming. Thats fantastic.

Woody, thanks for the info Ill tell you three weeks of termination pay would come in really handy. The kind of work he is doing for the client hes with today wont turn into a full time job unfortunately but it is still work and any work is good right now. There is a possibility hell be able to pick up some work from another client also and that would be ten to twelve months work so were crossing our fingers for that one.

Cindy, I totally agree with your, "I dont do ice." I avoid going out when its like that.

Saucy, so do you have plans for next week when Nick is gone?

Hope Mary is feeling better.

All righty, time to get dressed and do something productive.

Have a great day!
    Deanne

• saucydog
    15 years ago

Argh! I switched to fiber optics a couple of weeks ago, remember? Well, the cable company came and "unplugged" me from the street - I have my BUSINESS PHONE wired through the cable. They just cut my business off from my customers. The guy was a jerk and said he had an order to cut it off and wouldn't listen to my reasoning.

So I'm sitting on hold, who knows how long without a phone (and business lost) while he has moved on to his next victim.

Ain't life grand? At least the phone will be quiet for a while, right?

Deanne, wanna get together next week? I could find time during school hours! I could pass along my recruiter sources to Doug....

Saucy

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

Things are very busy at work and somehow at home as well. Tonight Im making a large pot of vegetable soup for the gkids schools fundraiser tomorrow night. The home office project is slow and we are running into interesting problems. This is the only room of the house that has the old plaster walls and they are far from straight and smooth. So it seems theres always something to keep me occupied. Im staying pretty faithful to my swimming schedule as well.
    I knew you all would be surprised at the price you can buy a house in the Midwest. Of course not everywhere, the town they live in has a population of 300, only one church, no swimming pool, industry or grocery store. Although, all these amenities can be reached within a 10-15 minute drive to nearby towns. Truly a bedroom community. Thats what I meant by location. They do have a couple of people interested again, so fingers are crossed. It seems like around here that young families dont want a 2 story home with character, they want to build a home with an open floor plan. My parents lived there a little over 40 years. Kathy, I would guess that the taxes are a little under $1000 per year. You have to remember though that incomes around here do reflect this also.

Eden, thanks for the fairy houses link. Im hoping that they can come this summer and Kenzie can spend a little time in the garden with me. I have some cute pictures of her "playing" with her fairy garden last summer.

Deanne, its good to hear that Doug is finding some work. How interesting about the hawks especially in town. Weve had a large owl hanging around our place these days. I can hear him from quite a distance and have seen him a few times in flight.

Denise, Im assuming the black baptism dress isnt for the baby ;o) Have a great trip.
    Probably of interest to Chelone, my mom just made a baptism dress for one of my friends first grandchild out of my friends wedding dress. Hows that for repurposing?

Chelone, the chairs gathered around the stove looks so cozy. The family code is a fun thing. One of our favorites was "chicken tenders" for chicken gizzards in gravy. It took DD quite some time to figure it out and by them she realized she liked them. I used to spell things out so the kids wouldnt know what I was saying, when they figured it out I would spell it backwards. If nothing else it helped with spelling. The first use of this was n-a-p when they were very little.

Martie, good to have you back. Sorry to hear that Rich is sick no fun.

Julie, great to hear that TCS is doing so well in reading.

My DD suprised me by mentioned that she was going to get some books to read while on her 11 to 7 shift. I worked hard to instill the love of reading in my kids but felt like I may have failed, but now there is a ray of hope ;o)

Great to hear from Drema.

One of these days I need to get together the pictures of the garden we went to in Florida I imagine we all can use a little color in our life these days.

Back to work
    Michelle

• gardeningmary
    15 years ago

Hi everyone

Deanne - I am planning on starting the double purple datura soon and would love to share with you if I'm successful. I have had no luck germinating my own seed - I think they never ripened fully so am trying anew from T&M. Hope work continues to roll in for Doug and your Shingles become less painful.

Hi Drema!!

Marian - hope you are safe and keeping warm.

GB - we miss you.

Everyone seems to be in the soup mode - perhaps we should have another soup photo thread like last year to warm us all up. I made a tasty one yesterday with little French lentils and chorizo.

I just returned from an orthodontist appointment with Annie (a monthly and sometimes bimonthly committment). She finished mid-terms this morning and is looking forward to a lazy day tomorrow before starting stage crew rehearsals for the school's production of Annie. I think tonight calls for a warm fire and reruns of Top Chef (one of the children's favorite shows)

David is in practice mode as he has Solofest exams on Saturday for both bass and guitar. He is currnetly outside with BF having fun with a soft foam pellet BB gun. I think it's good to balance his muscial endeavors with something boyish though I did draw the line at shooting squirrels.

Brr - my fingers are having a hard time typing as the thermostat is still at its daytime setting of 58F for when we are out of the house. Perhpas I'll bake something too to help raise the temps.

Mary

• deanneart
    15 years ago

Look who dropped in for lunch today.....
    {{gwi:147322}}

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

It was light enough out when I came home today to do a couple outdoor chores and to have a bit of a WALAT as well. I hung my thistle feeder, think it might be a bit to low but I will adjust over the weekend. Well see if I get any visitors . There is no rain on the horizon for the next several days, so Ill concentrate my efforts on getting all the brush piles dealt with this weekend, along with the JJ of hauling the electronics recycling to the landfill in the south end of the county. I have 2 defunct CD players, two ancient giant speakers, my old Pioneer receiver (so old in fact it has tubes) and an old portable stereo that used to live on top of the fridge. All are taking up a sizeable chunk of space in my newly pristeen garage. Also found a taker for the table saw. De-cluttering continues.

Julie, the Hellebore f. actually has a rather sweet , pleasant fragrance that is very slight. At least to my senses ! Im glad that you are considering IU ! Not only is it fun, but meeting Idylls in person really enriches the experience of being here.
    LOL the windowsill caper with the keyboard.

Michelle, you musnt tease about the Fla garden visit photos ! I weaseled out of a business trip to Florida next month, I just cant justify the time away right now, so you are our virtual tourist ..

Mary, it sounds like you are feeling much better My DS was always involved in his school productions, but on the performance side (the family ham gene) and he has been talking about auditioning for a play at out local community college this spring. He enjoys acting.

What a beautiful photo of the hawk Deanne !

OK, time to read the newspaper , and figure out a dinner plan.

Hi to all

Kathy in Napa

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

8AM: Another snowy good morning to all! 14F here so far.

I just love reading Julie's posting because it catches me up on all the fun things I wanted to comment on...such as the plastic pop bottle next to the striped chair. I too love the photographic progress report from the salon.

I am so sorry about Deanne's ailments and because of my continued hemorrhoid issues feel great empathy. My opinion of my various doctors (all men)lessens each day. This has been a problem since well before December. Sigh, they still don't listen to what I tell them.

Chelone asked about the new regime. I have been faithfully adhering to the plan. (not easy either) This means preparing lots for DH in addition to my own food, all of which annoys me. I hate paying so much attention to meals and prefer spending my time on other stuff. But I plug away at it and my treadmill too. (No obvious changes, but we measure these things in months I'm told.) I have a few other exercises I do, but the muscle building ones are near impossible for me these days, though I keep at it. Once gardening season begins, I'll get more exercise for sure. As for meditation, something I'm supposed to work on in the morning, I am hopeless at it, with my mind buzzing with other things, my breathing erratic. Anyone else incorporate it into their de-stressing program? Any hints?

Yesterday was Skyler's oral surgery (only 2 teeth removed!) and then his heart doctor appointment. All seems well. His audiology appointment needed rescheduling. His Mom has been acting up again. While I was talking to Sarah, she phoned three times yesterday. I'll spare you that story except to say she still complains that since her X remarried he's hard to talk to. He feels quite the opposite, that they talk too much and get nowhere because there are no listening skills.

Last weekend The North Country Fair held another meeting and determined that over $5000 has been collected toward The Reed. They have plans for rebuilding the family stage as well as a large pirate ship themed play area and feel confident all this will be possible.

I have been toying with spending a weekend with friends in Toronto soon. I also found a pattern for knitting animal hand puppets and am considering that project for the grandkid(s). I'd go buy yarn today if the snow weren't so scary. The naming of baby #2 is still in progress! Yesterday was an active day for baby with lots of punching and kicking.

DH has a lecture to give at 10 today, so that means dog walking, starting up the wood stove, breakfast, etc... NOW!

'bug
    Hmmm. Problems posting this. Not AGAIN!!!
    10PM: Maybe I'm back in business now? Well, I'm off to Toronto tomorrow, so hold down the fort dear friends!

• Jerri_OKC
    15 years ago

Hi all, I hate to drop in since I've been lurking recently. I've been focusing a lot on therapy and meditation and I don't have the energy to post much afterward.
    GB pulled me out of Lurkdom though!!! I've attached a link to a meditation article that I hope will help. It really does work, it just takes a little practice.

Deanne, I love the hawk photo that is so cool that you had 2 in your yard. I need to take up the blind idea since we have a couple of owls around. I would love to get photos of them. :) I'm sorry about the shingles. I worked with a guy who used to get them all over his behind. Not a good thing when you have to sit all day every day. I hope yours have a shorter duration than his. He had a really rough time of it.

TTYL

Jerri

• chelone
    15 years ago

Wow, Deanne, what a treat to see that hawk when I fired up the computer this morning. Their eyes never seem to be quite real to me, and I love the delicate tracery on the breast feathers. They are beautiful things, aren't they?

OK, Jerri, now it's your turn. I want to see a few shots of owls. How is your foot doing? I've been thinking of you lately and looky at that! you popped right up with a post. :) Is Ebony all back to normal now?

As (most of) you know I am a skilled urine wrangler. Now, Kathy... about collection systems... "wide mouth" is definitely the way to go. Perhaps I'll stage a shot for your entertainment using "Cynthia's" chair as the backdrop. ;) My brother would be all over that old Pioneer receiver, Kathy! He has quite a collection of vintage electronics, all in perfect working order and several with the backs removed so he can enjoy the light given off by the tubes, lol. "Tubular, man!".

Wednesday's storm was a bit of a bust for us; about 5" of snow and then the rush of warm air from the south rose over the cold air in place and we received rain, rather a lot of it. It's the worst kind of thing to clean up, rather like moving wet cement. The deck is still covered, the driveway is pretty much a rink, and cleats are the order of the day for safety's sake. I went in to work late yesterday and am going to put in a short day today to make up for it. It's all very inconvenient, but I've made the most of it.

I put the second coat of pickling on 3 windows yesterday, and the first on 2 of the east windows (the 3rd. requires stageing). I will finish the triple mullions this afternoon as well as the 2 I started yesterday. And then it will back to the mopboard. If I really hustle I'll be able to get everything clearcoated this weekend. The helpmeet has been working on casing the downstairs windows. The time he's taken off has done his frame of mind a world of good, too. I'm happy to see that.

Michelle, kudos to you on your swimming routine. It takes awhile to "build wind" but it's a great form of exercise. I have longed for a pool nearby for years now, but the remaining hope is faint. My brother's home was built at the turn of the last century and the plaster walls were in such crummy shape he ended up ripping them out and drywalling the interior, in the process blocking the "balloon" construction between floors (fire safety!) and adding top grade insulation. He would agree with you that you never know what you'll find when you begin renovating an older home. Are you going to give us some "eye candy" anytime soon?

There's more I wanted to comment on but if I get to work straight away I'll be home even quicker! And I'm definitely a "clock watcher" these days. Tedious as the pickling can be there IS something very rewarding about seeing it all take shape and knowing I'm responsible for it. Yes, Julie, you may take credit for the boom in productivity. All it took was getting started... like jump-starting a car.

Later, guys!

OH, and sending warm, safe thoughts to Maid Marian and her consort, Nolon. Hope you're hangin' on and are back to the flock soon (wagging your tail behind you!).

Best wishes to ailing Rich, Martie. What a crummy run he's had lately. You guys are due for some good news.

And let's hope 'bug is soon able to get back to us after a relaxing weekend with friends. While X travails persist, at least Skyler's surgery is behind him and the more she fusses and acts like an idiot the clearer the whole picture becomes at the same time becoming less flattering. May Sarah continue to bulk up for the upcoming "blessed event" and the course they're steering be free of navigational hazards!

Now I'm gone. :)

• cynthia_gw
    15 years ago

Still an ice kingdom here. I did some ice breaking yesterday where the sun had softened things a bit, but the dogs and I have not had a walk in two days. Which is why 3/4 of us were up at 4AM. Monty sleeps the sleep of the old. Or maybe he's meditating!

I read the first two pages of the article Jerri, but I'm either calm or not calm, and find mental activity and exercise is a better solution for me to put things in perspective. And time of course. How's your foot doing?! Are you back in the office or still WAH.

H.Foetidus is stinky just when you crush the leaves Julie. They are great cold weather plant and start blooming in early winter here. H.Hybridus have all been set back by the single digit cold this year. I know I saw buds when Kathy first showed hers budding up, but everythings flattened by too much cold since then!

Mary, The triple purple and the plain white Datura seeds always germinated better for me with a few weeks cold treatment. I don't grow them anymore, but remember a few years putting them outdoors after a month of no action and that would solve it.

I check my single pot of seeds - the Melianthus Major - daily for germination. I like the waiting and checking. I do have a small seed order coming from Swallowtail and bought more Chiastophyllum 'solar yellow.' Last year's batch are still snuggled in a pot growing up. Very pretty succulent foliage. May browse through JL Hudson too just for fun.

GB, what would happen if you fed your husband the same way you feed yourself? :)

Mary, will Annie be playing Annie?

Beautiful hawk photo Deanne. Good thing you have a backup camera. Glad Doug is finding some interim work. I find listening to the news these days downright scary with all of the closures and layoffs. With Circuit City gone, I need to order a backup modem for the next time mine dies. There is no place close now to get one in an emergency. On the plus side, the free newspaper that used to toss litter in my driveway three times a week has gone out of business.

I just checked the weather for Mobile Alabama. No snow and 30F to 60F, so hope Denise is having a good trip and visit with family. Black is fine for a baptism as it gives folks something to talk about.

And checking my own weather, I see 40F for today, so should see some more ice melt - until it freezes back up tonight.

Have a good Friday! I'm going to start work while it's quiet and do something brilliant today :-)

Cynthia

• saucydog
    15 years ago

I see I am in good company this early morning. I sat straight up in bed upon waking and was ready to go. I had the paychecks and W-2's in Nick's hand before 5:30. Ahh, the perks of working in your jammies!

The hawk is very intense! He seems very focused, which is important in his line of work, I suppose. How'd you like to have those eyes fixed on you as a meal?

Yes, Michelle, we could all use a little garden color these days :)

Good to hear that Skylar's day of doctoring went well. I agree with Cynthia, would DH know that he was eating your special food? Sarah always says, "is it YOUR rice, or MY rice?" because she has never liked brown rice. She says it makes her throat itchy, which always prompts me to wonder if she has a budding food allergy....anyway, back on topic, I hope your dietary changes bring you some relief.

Babs just popped into my head....wonder what she's up to these days?

Julie, may your passport photo be recognizable! LOL!

That's all from me, folks. TTYL.

Saucy

• ctlavluvr
    15 years ago

Good golden morning! 1" of ice on top of snow reflecting the sunrise is my meditation thought for today...

To catch up seems imposing so I'll clamber back in with hopes of goodness for all -- especially those who will produce grandoffspring and those whose bodies and spirits aren't on the plus side right now.

Rich is now coherent, his fever has broken, but no activity (especially demolition of plaster walls) for at least four weeks. Fingers crossed that his client will wait. If not..... well, there's a reason for everything.

Did catch a bit about Datura starting and I've learned to go with the flow on that one. Stratification appears to be a must with moisture. Found out that Belamcanda is the same way so little plastic bags of "organic matter" and seeds have taken up residence in the crisper. No new alpine strawberries this year -- seems weird.

Still hopeful to get to Logee's before snow melts and provided that brother, parents, husband, son, daughter-in-law and workmates don't get themselves into any dilemmas it should be doable. I should KNOW better than to plan anything weeks ahead. LOL

Very, very glad it's Friday with a wide open weekend. Will keep going back to Deanne's hawk and gawk!! (couldn't resist)

Martie

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

The regime is a brutal one, not to be shared: lots of straight flax seed, specific to me meal replacements and short term (we hope) pills with very small amounts of what I'd call food. DH would die....He is naturally thin. DD's thoughts on this topic are that he should learn to make himself his own food....(What a concept!)

I'm off to the big city. Be back in a couple of days.
    'bug

• gardeningmary
    15 years ago

Good morning

Lots of early birds here plus Deanne's magnificent hawk. What a great way to start the day.

For some reason my cold seems to have returned with avengeance. I woke with another sore throat, runny eyes and nose, combined with congestion. I didn't think you could get the same cold twice (you build up immunity to a particular virus) so I'm wondering allergies. Being upright, a steamy shower and 4 cups of hot honey and lemon have left me able to contemplate the day even though I still feel cra@@y. Darn.

GB - so glad to hear Skylar's surgery was successful. Sorry your Dr's are falling short, especially on listening skills whisch are so vital. Is the new one who offered much more hope the same? I too end up cooking multiple meals at times so I empathize. In my case it is because gluten free staples like pasta and bread are a whopping 5 - 9 times the cost of their regular counterparts.

Saucy - I often wonder how Babs is doing and miss her occasional pop-ins.

Well, David just called to say he had forgotten his chorus shirt and pants. I'll have an extra stop on my way in as they have a concert at the elementary school today. Darn again.

Annie is not starring as Annie LOL! She has a nice voice, but prefers being backstage. She also actually detests the music in Annie but is a good sport as she will be putting in hours over the weekend and next week.

Big decision to make - DH is out of town so a girlfriend and I are planning to go to the movies tomorrow night. We've narrowed it down to either The Reader or Defiance. The only thing is they are both movies DH would like to see so it almost seems a shame not to catch a chickflick he wouldn't watch. But I think quality of film will win out. Has anyone seen either of the above.

Sue - how has skiing been? We're planning on a day at Gore mountain during the February break - have you ever skiied there? I'll be on my x-country skis while Annie and David hit the slopes. You'd be welcome to join us if you fancy doing a few of the back diamonds with David.

Martie - our fridge becomes full of little plastic bags during seed starting time. I use damp coffee filters to provide the moisture.

Cynthia - thanks for the datura info. Perhaps I'll get seeds for the double yellow as well. Seeing seedlings finally pop up is like a little birthday present and I never lose the anticipation and sense of wonder.

Well, tine to pack up my tissues (I'm out of the lotion ones), David's gear and head off to work.

have a good one everybody!

Mary

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    15 years ago

TGIF!

Good icy morning! I feel bad that I don't have time to read or chat around here lately but there just don't seem to be enough hours in the day. Monday night I worked late, Tuesday night is my adult ed "easy gourmet" class, Wednesday night I shoveled ice and heavy slush well into the evening, last night the dogs got groomed...sheesh! On top of everything I've reconnected with some long lost college friends and relatives through that facebook site and have been having some fun but have been killing some time with that.

Mary, I did ski last weekend at Killington. It was so cold I bailed after Saturday. January can just be so tough. I've never skied at Gore. If I can work it out I'd love to spend some time with you and ski the black diamonds with David. Hope you feel better soon.

Deanne, that is one great shot of the hawk. Did I read that Doug has a new gig? And what's this with the shingles?

OK, must run,

Enjoy!

Sue

• jak1
    15 years ago

Good Friday Morning to you all!

Deanne, what a great shot of Mr. Hawk! Do you think the Redtail put the run on the Sharp-shinned? Have the other birds stayed around? Once we were sitting outside in the Spring and suddenly we noticed complete silence - every bird had shut it's beak. Then a silent shadow skimmed the yard - a Northern Harrier landed gently on the clothesline pole and sat silently, waiting. Then, just as quietly spread his wings and slipped away. The silence was deafening. Then, about two minutes later, the air was filled with little birds, all tweeting their heads off. Sounding the "all clear" I guess. I never will forget that - an amazing experience. Here we have a family of Merlins - a mated pair with four offspring - so we have nothing else...no mice, voles, rabbits, little songbirds, zip. Merlins are also the noisiest things! They may not come back to the orchard this Spring - I'm of two minds about that. I wish you were here - the photos, I imagine, would be phenomenal!

Thank you Kathy (bowing to applause). I also keep up with the JJobs so you guys won't beat me at my own game!

Bug, I'm pleased that Skyler's health issues seem to be under control...but I'm sorry that you are still having such problems. I hate the individual meal thing too, and try hard to serve a healthy meal and let everybody eat or fend. DH will just eat - being diabetic for 45 years means that food is not necessarily a pleasure thing for him - eating a certain amount and a certain balance of food is simply a necessity and he gets it out of the way without complaint. It also means, however, that eating out is also just another meal for him and he does not view it as particularly entertaining. It's just Eat and Let's Go.

On the topic of Grandkids and Eating - TCS has been referred to a nutritionist next week to try to deal with his eating issues. He is dreading it, and so is eating everything in sight hoping to make a good impression. His comments like "Oh dear, I hope there's something HEALTHY in the fridge because I am so HUNGRY" are causing lots of averted smiles around here. He is feeling better, although still pale, and hopefully will listen to a professional telling him what he needs to do, instead of "Just Nana"!

Mary, I have had the same thing happen with my cold this week. Got it, lived with it, thought it was gone and Bingo! Back again. I hope yours goes away soon, and mine too. I don't have time for this!!!

We had about 15 cm. of snow on Tuesday, with the same amount forecasted for this week-end, and Monday and again on Tuesday. Every time a snowflake appears the school buses are cancelled. We take TCS to school anyway most of the time, but it means that activities like Swimming and Play practice are cancelled. By the time the swimming session is over, TCS will have missed fully half of the classes. Kind of a tough call for all concerned. It would only take one school bus incident in snowy weather to cause a terrible outcry, maybe justified. The parents who rely completely on the bus service have a fit if their kids miss part of a program due to weather. The parents who get their kids to school some other way have a fit if their kids activities are cancelled on snow days. The school wants to offer the swimming etc. because the pool is right there on the same property, and we live in a town with a river running through it. The pool folks have to rely on the fees to keep the facility operable and to maintain staff, so won't refund or reschedule missed classes. What a zoo - and offering swimming to kids up to grade 6 seems like such an easy and good thing to do! I will not say anything to anybody about it - life is too short to fuss over a few swimming lessons - I will just pay a bit more and get TCS the lessons he missed. But here in Lanark county (quite an economically depressed area) not everyone has this luxury....

I am in a reflective mood today I think!

And I had better get on with the day if I am going to accomplish anything!

Thanks for being here guys!

Cheers,

Julie

• jak1
    15 years ago

Meant to relay this incident to you...Facebook conversation of DD....Ski Patrol is hosting an event next week-end and PIC (Person In Charge) sent out a message to outline the agenda of festivities, and ended with "$5.00 will buy you lunch consisting of a hamburger or hotdog, fries and a dink". Of couse he sent this to everybody in the world (with the exception of the Idylls, maybe). DD could not let that one pass her by (made me think of Sue's hottub) and replied that "For $5.00, the Dink would be enough". Several other comments in kind, last one, which brought down the house, was "This is a small Dink. I believe that I ordered a large...."

• chelone
    15 years ago

That's priceless, Julie! I had a good laugh over that one.

I'm really here report this, gleaned from an upholstery site I enjoy: parts of northern Arkansas are still in the dark and may remain that way for over 2wks.. I hope it looks better than that for Marian, Nolon, Tommy and Trubby. It can't be much fun for our Marian right now. :(

• deanneart
    15 years ago

Hi all,

Well Ive finished cleaning out the fishies and watering the three billion plants in this house and Id like to start with the vacuuming but Im waiting for the FedEx guy to deliver my repaired camera which I have to sign for. I cant go upstairs and do the laundry or run the vacuum or I wont hear the doorbell. Im beyond amazed that they have repaired the camera and shipped it back to me already! Very cool. Doug has gotten another two days work for next week so that is a very good thing. Im hoping that they find a bunch of other issues that need his expertise to fix so he gets another few weeks out of this. He interviewed for another consulting firm this morning and said that one went well so there are a lot of irons in the fire at the moment and we are just waiting for something else to come through.

Thanks to everyone for the kind comments about the Hawk photo. I was so excited to get such wonderful looks at that magnificent bird. Id forgotten to tell you all that it is a juvenile Coopers Hawk.

Julie and Mary what a bummer about that cold. The same thing happened with Doug with the one he had over Christmas. He thought he was over it then it came back with a vengeance. Almost like it was a different virus. I surely hope you both are well soon.

Mary, I lol over all the little baggies of dirt in your refrigerator! What fun! ~~ Ill be so happy to trade some of my stock of plants for a couple datura seedlings. I really love them but dont have the space for starting seed with all the other stuff I have under lights. If you get any of those yellow ones that would be fantastic! I came across a couple photographs of the yellow one from a couple years ago. What a beauty!

Sue, Doug is doing some temp work for a company in Exeter. It was supposed to be only a day or two but now its turned into four to five days and were hoping he can get a few more days out of it. ~~~ Yes, shingles. Nasty business that.

Bug you are more patient than I, there is almost no way Id prepare different meals for Doug and I. Too much work and money. I agree with your DD, DH should be fixing his own food.

Martie, lol gawk at the hawk Hope Rich is well soon.

Saucy, Id love to see you next week but will wait on committing to going out until I know how Im feeling. Right now Im not much use for anything.

Cynthia, I totally agree with you that the news is downright frightening. ~~Also, yes so glad I have a backup camera. Im pretty lost without my DSLR these days. ~~~ Our router is not working right now and Doug is having a tough time finding a replacement.

Chelone, I couldnt agree with you more, they definitely are most beautiful! And there is nothing quite like the stare of a raptor. Amazing birds. ~~~ Cant wait to see the finished pickling project. You are going like the energizer bunny.

Jerri nice to hear from you and Id love to see photos of your owls! So how is your foot healing up? Hopefully you are mending well.

Kathy, sounds like you are making great progress with your de-cluttering project. I wish I could get the motivation to do the same. We have WAY too much stuff. Whats that old saying about spending the first half of your life getting stuff and the second half getting rid of it?! LOL

Michelle, thats great that you are staying faithful to your swimming. Ive not been able to exercise (no energy and dont feel well enough) since the onset of the shingles. Cant wait until this passes.

Julie, LOL over the typo, I cracked up over that one.

OK Ive got to go and find something productive to do, have a great afternoon all
    Deanne

• chelone
    15 years ago

If I don't keep "going like the Energizer Bunny" it would be awfully easy to abandon the project. I set goals for myself and that keeps me interested and working. I've been daydreaming about window treatments and thinking more and more about the floor. Once the woodwork is done there will be some really fun things to do. I'm looking forward to it. Besides, it makes more sense to stay home (saves money) and working on the house makes being here all the nicer!

How did you know the Cooper's Hawk in your picture was immature? was it the breast feathers? When you look at raptors there is no doubt in your mind that they're predatory. Just the way a cat looks predatory. I think it's the eyes, that steady, fixed gaze. I hope the camera is better than brand new. How long is the drive to Exeter for Doug?

OK, I've cleaned the brush after finishing the second coat on all the windows and hearth wall mopboard. I could go back out and probably knock off the rest of the mopboard if I put it to the coals...

...or I could continue to listen to Asleep At the Wheel and sack out on the couch.

Now Mary, you are once more beseiged because you went back to work too soon! When you are sick, you are sick and it's important to stay home and rest. You can't function smoothly when you don't feel well. You subject others to whatever contagion has invaded your body. So stay home, willya?

Yeah, 'bug... your old man needs to fix his own damn vittles. Tough love, baby. Hang in there with the chow and regimen, you'll know how long.

I've gotta make up my mind about whether I'm working some more or gonna just "be" for the time being... have a great Friday, everyone.

• deanneart
    15 years ago

Chelone, this one's for you!
    {{gwi:147324}}

You can tell this is a juvie because the mature Cooper's have a very rusty colored sreaked breast, slate gray backs with a darker gray cap and a red eye, not yellow.

They are so amazing and it was just awesome to have one this close and get such good looks at it. Magnificent!

Exeter is about an hour from here. Not bad, work is a good thing!

Have a great Friday evening all
    Deanne

• saucydog
    15 years ago

This is turning into The Hawk Idyll :)

Wow, Deanne, he's fabulous. Sorry to hear you're so unconfortable - your posts make me smile and I forget about your itchy bum - hope you feel better really soon.

I like it when I get on a kick and can get a job done, Chelone, but that hasn't happened in a long time. Sounds like you're in a spirit to get some work done!

Mary, everyone here is complaining about the two part cold, too.

I hope Marian has lots of puzzles.

And GB has lots of patience with the food situation :)

And TCS can find something in the 'fridge that will make Nana cancel that looming appointment :) (I feel your pain....I've been cooking broccoli every night for as long as I can remember because my daughter will eat it....she'd die if I refered to her as TBS - three broccoli stalks!)

Happy weekend all!

Saucy

• triple_creek
    15 years ago

I'm just going to pop in for a quick hello from the central states since Marian probaly can't. I have a friend who is down in that area to help get things restored.
    We had mostly snow here. Dh did some plowing. A bolt on the plow broke and when he got out of the truck to fix it he accidently hit the powerlock and locked himself out of the truck. So I had to drive ten miles to town in the worst of it to take the other keys. Sure got my heart rate up driving in the dark with hard blowing snow. Thank goodness no one else was on the road.
    A lot of you are having some serious issues to work through. You have my symapthy, and I hope things smooth out soon.
    Some have reason to celebrate too. Congratulations to David and TCS for their accomplisments.
    I have enjoyed reading, and looking at the pictures. I have been browsing through garden pictures. I love digital photos so I can run a slideshow and enjoy it all again, especially at this time of year.
    Things are pretty quite around here and I'm not complaning. I need to get some of those winter cleaning projects out of the way soon.

My new laptop has brownish keys with grayish lettering and it is a bear to see them to type. I'm not happy with that part.

Hey to all. Norma

• Jerri_OKC
    15 years ago

Hi all. I got a new cast today. It's a lovely deep purple - a nice change from the light blue! The x-rays looked good, things are healing well. I got a 'cast shoe' so I can walk on it although they told me to walk as little as possible. Of course I tried walking and found out quickly it was NOT a good idea! I go back to the doc. in 4 more weeks.
    Ebony is doing so much better. The pheumonia seems to be gone. We still have to get her heartworm treatment but I want to wait a few weeks. It's a very difficult procedure and we have to limit her movement for 6 weeks afterward. That will not be an easy task. lol
    I will try going back to the awfice next week. I'm going crazy with cabin fever! Even my questionable co-workers will be an improvement. I typed 'crappy' co-workers first but that didn't sound very nice!

It's been a long long day. Have a good weekend Idylls!

Jerri

• Jerri_OKC
    15 years ago

Woah, Deanne that photo is amazing!

Nighty Night...

Jerri

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Hot Da*m Deanne, those hawk photos are tres magnifique ! I wish I had a pic of my cute little black headed juncos to share but as soon as I go outdoors they all fly away- no blind at the Kathy house ! So without seeming indelicate, how the heck do you sit down with a shingled bum ? Bet you are just sick of it by now- - Thats great that Doug is continuing to get days of work here and there.

Now Chelone, perhaps that soda bottle is the mens room and therefore the wide mouth is not needed. Im just enjoying every moment of reading your progress in the salon. I can almost envision you sliding along the floor with brush in hand addressing the mopboards- I expect there would be bum shots galore if Wrecks knew how to operate a camera.
    I have noticed that when I check my Natl Weather Service website for conditions in Ark, there are disclaimers that the reports are not current, and I assume that is due to the power situation. It seems like the daytime temps are warm enough to melt the ice, but one worries about the refrigerator, hot water heater etc. Im sending good vibes to Ozarks ..

On our weather front here we are starting to hear talk of drought more and more. Sonoma county is considering some pretty draconian water restrictions, and in our central valley the agricultural interests are very concerned. Reservoirs are at extremely low levels. I am making plans to mulch even more heavily than usual and add couple more soaker hoses I can get away with weekly watering in most areas.

Jerri, I bet you look stunning in your purple cast !

Hi Norma, that snowy drive to rescue DH sounds pretty scary to this weather lightweight !

Ive enjoyed the various dialogs about seed starting, Cynthias watchfulness, Marys Daturas.. Its pretty clear that we are going to have an early spring here (I have flowers on Clematis amandii) so I am going to start my seeds this weekend.

And thats about it for me tonight-see yall tommorow

Kathy in Napa

• veronicastrum
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Gosh, a girl goes out to drink wine and comes back all kinds of behind on her reading!

It's been an interesting week. On the un-interesting side, I've been really, really tired. I was late for the wine tasting last night because I sat down for 10 minutes and dozed off. I think the continued cold weather is just wearing me down.

On the brighter side, I did go to a lovely wine tasting benefit last night with friends old and new AND we got rid of our embarrassment of a governor here. Plus, we completely missed the storms this week.

I'm glad that it appears that most of the idyllers have not suffered from the storm. I hope that Marian and Nolon are faring well. I suspect it may be a while before we hear from her.

Deanne, I will be adding your hawk to my desktop at work - he should do a good job of fending off a few coworkers!

Well, if I am to stand half a chance of getting my list done tomorrow, I'd better get some rest.

Nytol!

V.

• chelone
    15 years ago

I went back out the Salon yesterday and finished pickling the mopboard yesterday afternoon. I've been using an old pillow to cushion my ageing knees and the helpmeet suggested I invest in a good pair of knee pads. He's right(but then again, he is brilliant) they will come in very handy for the upcoming floor project, and since I often use the floor as a work table they will see much use in years to come. Today I'm going to start the sanding (with the window casings) and then do the mopboards. I hate sanding and the requisite clean up but it's that step that ensures a nice finished product. I could conceivably finish the woodwork this weekend. I'm really looking forward to removing the newspaper and the blue painter's tape to reveal the finished product.

Maybe you ought to start calling Sarah, TBS, Saucy! I was notoriously picky about food for years, but I snapped out of it and she will, too. All kids do (or they'll starve to death, lol). Mum always figured it was just a kid wielding some "control" and never wasted effort on fights over it. Hang in there, Julie, even TCS is unlikely to succumb to his refusal to eat what "grown ups" think is appropriate. ;)

I've had my coffee, I didn't leave the trail of baking dishes in the kitchen and I'm not going to clean it up! Instead, I'm going to venture on out to the Salon and size up the day's work before heading to the hardware store for my knee pads AND a new sanding sponge. May even invest in a larger sash brush to make the mopboard task go faster...

Norma, I lol at the having to bring auxiliary keys to DH. I have a friend who refuses to have automatic door locks on her car... her dog has locked himself inside it more than once. (never understood why she doesn't leave a window cracked anyway, but that's a different story!).

Jerri, tell me about heartworm treatment, what's involved in it?

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Chelone,come over to my house I have a pile of samples of paint brushes and sanding pads and sponges ! The perks of being a buyer..I'm stopping in here for coffee before I venture off to the E-waste facility but where is everyone ? I guess I'll join you for lunch later on.

Hope everyone is enjoying thier Saturday..

Kathy in Napa

• chelone
    15 years ago

Now you tell me, Kathy. Thanks a pantload.

Yeah, where is everyone, indeed? We know:
    'bug is with friends in Toronto.
    Marian and Nolon are "roughing it" in the wilds of AK.
    Denise is wearing black in Mobile (think her teeth are chattering?).
    Norma is sizing up the cleaning.
    Mary is (we hope!) lying low and recuperating.

I have finished sanding and now have to deal with that infernal Kirby vacuum before slopping on the "polycrylic".

• jak1
    15 years ago

Hi Gang, and Happy Saturday to you!

Tip of the week from DS: You cannot open a can of soup with a steak knife. Follow ups to note: There are a lot of nerves and blood vessels in that thick part of your hand between the thumb and index finger. Stitches hurt. Shock is not fun. Ride to Emerg in a police cruiser is pretty quick (he was walking to the hospital and the passing police saw him and stopped). Lessons learned: friends who move should unpack their boxes of kitchen stuff in case they need a can opener. Wear boots in the winter in case you have to walk somewhere. There is no need to wake up your parents at 2 a.m. to explain all this, 9 a.m. would have been fine. Sheesh!

TCS is getting along swimmingly at the pool (ha ha, couldn't resist) and was thrilled to jump off the diving board and swing on a big rope out over the water and drop in yesterday. His confidence level has risen enormously this winter in a few areas: reading, skating, skiing, music, and swimming are now some of his favourite activites. Works for me!

Thought of all you musicians yesterday as I tuned up TCS's quarter-size guitar and strummed a few chords....it has been a long time and it felt so good....I went upstairs and got my own instrument out and fiddled around (sorry couldn't resist again!) for about 15 minutes and then my fingertips started to hurt....maybe I'll manage 15 minutes a day for a while and some of my knowledge will come bck!

Chelone, you are doing great with the salon! I too am anxiously waiting to see the results when the painter's tape comes off. Is mopboard the same thing as baseboards? I've been meaning to ask.

Yesterday's JJob was the fridge, a job I hate. New resolution: no more putting little bits of leftover food in plastic wrap and keeping it for eons in case...in case what? That somebody would maybe eat it? Heaven forbid!!!

Today - no JJob. Relax time. Going out to friend's for dinner and then to a house concert. DS and TCS are having a Subway dinner as DS can't lift anything (like a finger, oh I am really on the ball today!).

I hope Marie is enjoying her break in Toronto. I hope Marian and Nolon are o.k. I hope Deanne's camera made it back home yesterday. I hope Kathy got her seeds started - I know it is too early here, the things would be monsters by the time they can go outside at the end of May.

Thought about DD when reading about the dog locking the car doors - DD's dog has to be restrained in the car because she keeps putting her paws on the power window buttons and opening all the windows - also would like to take advantage of this and jump out. No thanks.

TCS and buddy-what-his name want to use the computer now - you won;t see me until tomorrow!

Cheers,

Julie

• cynthia_gw
    15 years ago

I know better than to wish away time, but I looked up sunrise/sunset schedule hoping for sun in the morning and longer days soon. By February 28th, the sun will be rising at 6:41AM here and setting at 5:59PM. That only lasts for a week though as Daylight Saving Time kicks in on March 8th... we'll be back to darkness until 7AM again for a while. But! There will be sun until 7:30PM - which is huge those of us who still work for a living and can be outside only when it's dark or darker.

Sunshine and a metal shovel helped to break up a path so that we could walk out of the driveway yesterday. Streets were dry and Dannie and Hope were smilin' for 2 miles. It was a repetitive walk cause I didn't dare go out on the main roads with any traffic. Just no place to get out of the way. As it was, the school bus came through using the entire road and we had trouble getting out its way. The UPS guy is much more polite with his wideload. I say kids should be dropped off at end of road and walk home!

Holy Moly Deanne, that hawk photo with blue sky and direct eye contact is fantastic!

I have happily done most of my week-end chores here - my sister's inability to do the simplest things has me grateful for my own mobility. No complaining from me.

And with that, I think I'll hop down two flights and move the laundry around. I have a home visit at three and can't decide whether to take Hope or Dannie. Hope is a better demo dog as she's still on the wild side, but Dannie loves these outings too. Hmm.

Have a great day, and hope the sun will melt more ice everywhere!

Cynthia

• chloehoover
    15 years ago

What magnificent photos, Deanne -- wow..

Nuthing exciting here -- ofc is terribly busy as a new emergency case has raised its ugly head, with threats of a trial at end of Feb., ugh... hoping it will somehow settle...

Still lots of ice in the neighborhood and yards; I will have to attempt booties on Chloe's feet today to give her a walk on the sidewalks and get some exercise for both of us. Looking forward to 40 tomorrow in hopes it will melt some more.

You always have excitement in your house, dont you, Julie? altho that DS trick w/ the knife and soup can sounds somewhat gender based, LOL... Hope it heals quickly and how nice to have police who help out! Sounds like you should work on that music some more -- good therapy I bet.

Chelone is moving at lite speed on all her projects -- such energy! Whew.

Norma, eeks, I can just imagine that drive w/ the keys -- it's that sort of drive that takes years off one's life, isnt it?

What with dinks, and multi-purpose soda bottles, and dogs and power windows I've had many a chuckle today... good thing I wasnt drinking coffee or would have decorated the monitor a few times.

I plan to slug some more today - cold cold and take advantage tomorrow w/ the idea of Superbowl emptying out stores and roads -- perfect time to get out and do the errands, etc.

Hope all enjoy their Saturday and those suffering w/ illnesses rest and recoup quickly.

Cindy

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    15 years ago

I tried to post the comments below a few hours ago. I had to log in and then the page just sat there blank, churning away... It eventually came back with an error message - something about 'get' not implemented - whatever that meant....

----
    Take 'em both Cynthia!

Julie - lots of good chuckles in your post this morning - and some winces re the soup can opening!

Deanne - the second hawk picture was particularly amazing. I met the new malamute (Roma's 'replacement') this morning. She's an odd brownish color mixed with white and I thought of the hawk's breast when I was patting Dawn :-)

Chelone - The Salon is getting more beautiful with each picture! What I use for any on-my-knees indoor work of any kind is my Lee Valley Tools gardener's pants with the buil-in (removable) knee pads. Their older knee pads are better than the ones that come with the pants now but you could put any high-density foam cut to fit. I'm sure you have access to lots of that stuff... I find the pants with the knee pad pockets much better than strap-on knee pads which always seem to end up shifting around too much. There are lots of other work pants that come with knee pad pockets but they don't usually come in small enough sizes for me! Since you seem to do a lot of stuff where such pants would come in handy, it might be worth getting a pair....?

I hope Marian resurfaces soon - that's worrying to be cut off for so long....

Time to do more coursework today - it's definitely keeping me occupied!

• chelone
    15 years ago

I've been thinking the very same thing about Marian, Woody. I really like the sound of those pants, too! I've been thinking about really comfortable work pants since my jeans are moving into the last phase of their lives. I might just give your suggestion some thought. (also due for a new pair of shoes and some new "foundations").

I have the north wall "polycrylic-ed" and am low on the stuff. I thought I had more in the can that I did and didn't get any while out this morning... dummy. The wood stove performed flawlessly again, today.

We've decided to go out for an early dinner and more satin finish acrylic. "Will she paint some more tonight, ladies and gentlemen?".

Nice move with the steak knife. I know how much that area can hurt having cut it myself while notching the collar on a melton overcoat... doing something very stupid with the wrong pair of scissors.

The car is waiting...

• veronicastrum
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I've been busy today implementing my own economic stimulus plan. First up was updating the PowerPoint presentation for the church budget meeting. Second, the friend who designed and built our dining table met with us to begin the process of designing an outdoor table for the deck. Then we had a meeting at a local jewelry store to begin the process of rebuilding my ring. I brought in the old ring as well as my dad and grandfather's wedding bands and several rings that had been my mother's. My mom's taste in jewelry was very different from mine, but we will be able to cash in the gold and several of the stones will be used in the new ring.

Next stop was at the local carpet store to get a sample for the basement family room - after thirteen years, two teenagers and one appliance malfunction, it is ready to be replaced. Thinking very hard about "Fleeting Fawn" right now; I'm waiting fir it to get dark outside to be sure the color isn't too dark. Last stop, the afternoon wine tasting at the local shop and the purchase of a few recommended bottles.

Tonight's plan is the school district fundraiser. It's a Las Vegas night and I'm not a big gambler (even with play money) but there will be a good crowd there so it should be fun.

Julie, glad to hear your DS is okay after his soup adventure. At least he was smart enough not to try and drive to the hospital, eh? (Don't ruin the moment and say there was no car available!)

Chelone, I continued to be impressed at the progress of the salon. It's looking quite lovely, and you are encouraging me to move forward with the basement project.

Good to hear from Martie, and I don't recall if I said the same to Drema earlier this week.

Time to print out my presentation, hose down the kitchen and fold laundry before we head out for the evening fun. Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

V.

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

It felt great to get all the defunct electronics out of my garage today- I hereby heartily recommend garage cleaning/purging. After I finished up in there I did some garden debris clean up , pulled some weeds , went to Whole Foods (out of beer and granola) and started seeds- Amaranth, Zinnias , Nicotiana.
    Here is my seedling nursery-not very impressive compared to some others Ive seen around here !
    {{gwi:147326}}From Garden 2009

And, blooming today in the garden-its Camellia season here in zone 9 {{gwi:147328}}From Garden 2009

{{gwi:147329}}From Garden 2009

V, it seems as though you mention wine tasteing almost every day-is this just my imagination ?

Kathy in Napa

• chelone
    15 years ago

I would like to assure Cynthia that there are plenty of us who "still work for a living" who have no trouble at all with EST and have little difficulty squeezing the limited sunlight into our physical activity routine. Sounds more like a scheduling problem to this girl scout. ;) Hope your sister's recovery is moving along in the proper direction and doing so predictably. Is she home now?

Good to hear that warmer temperatures are assisting in ice removal. Our driveway is pretty slick and I worry about Rex slipping, sliding, and wrenching something in the process (only to protect our investment, mind you). "Dog bowling" helps and directing him over the snow covered lawns after a day-glo tennis ball limits the risk. In his "frail elderly" phase I'd be worried about Monty, IF I didn't hate dogs, that is. Did Cynthia take both Dannie and Hope "on the road" yesterday (excellent suggestion, Woody)?

Why does Chloe have wear booties, Cindy? is it protection against the nasty stuff they lay on accumulated ice to get it to melt? I imagine that at her size ingesting even a little of it by licking off her paws could do some damage. I understand today is the Superbowl... like I care? I suppose the pre-game show will start by 10 AM and the post game wrap-up will linger into the predawn hours of tomorrow... . Sounds like a PERFECT day to get out and tackle errands, if you ask me! Do trials greatly increase your work load at the awfice, or is it just that the work load changes character?

The Camellias are beautiful! I have to admire them from afar, I'm afraid, even many of the beautiful Hydrangeas don't perform well here, too often nipped by late frosts if not securely bundled up. Interestingly, the winter lows are not what zaps 'em, it's those late (May) frosts that do 'em in. It will be some months yet before any thought of getting out and working in and around the yard begins to invade the space between my ears. But is sure is fun to read about the exploits of others. Any chance you'd take a closer shot of the foliage for me? we had an arrangement at work that I THINK may have used Camellia leaves... very pretty. Power to you on the decluttering, Kathy. It's sometimes hard to get started but once you're rollin' the feeling of accomplishment is great.

V., I heartily recommend tackling the basement! I haven't enjoyed a project as much in a very long time. Sure, it's a ton of work, but it's the sort of thing that's right up my alley; requires good planning, mastery of some new skills, and methodical execution. Best of all, I've refused to be daunted by a helpmeet whose partipation can range from downright sullen to wonderfully inspired, and THAT'S made a big impression. It's gratifying to see a new, useful space emerge in "glorious living color", too. I'd say you guys are due for a bit of a "spruce up" and a wedding seems like a perfect reason to do it. VERY exciting about your new ring, any chance we can get some more information on that? I have all the "family jools" from Mum's side of the family, nothing terribly valuable, but some interesting pieces. I'm absolutely amazed at how tiny they are... several won't make it over the second knuckle on my left (smallest) ring finger! Did "Luck Be A Lady" last night? (listening to lots of Billy May arrangements lately and it reminds me of your DD and her trumpet).

Julie, you were clearly on fire yesterday with respect to one-liners, I'm not sure you overlooked one opportunity in your inspired post. :) Yes, the mopboards will be pickled to match the window trim and the stairwell railing. The "new" rule in this house is that nothing is put in the 'frig. without a cover and all vegetative matter is to go into the crispers. I found one too many cans with contents identifiable only because they had labels on them. Dessicated tomato paste with mold on it is so "yesterday". ;) Mercifully, we have the ultimate recycling opportunity; fully mobile, and sporting a snug-fitting fur suit.

I've been thinking of you Woody. Every time I look out the windows and survey the winter landscape I wonder how you arrive at the spacing for shrubs/trees in your fantasy landscape plan. Do you plant with mature size in mind or for immediate effect, relying on future thinning/pruning/limbing to keep things in order? And I have to do some "scale" drawing pretty soon, too. Only this time it will be for the upcoming floor project and will be pretty easy... just simple geometry. How's your printing progressing?

Hi to Eden (has she been outdoors in 2 weeks?), Michelle (who we know will slog through drifts to get to the compost pile), Jerri (the purple footed one), Sue (who's either working or lying about it to cover her Facebook tracks), and so many others... and also, beleaguered Marian, holding down the fort in an ice-coated world.

Camera back yet, Deanne? While shingles may be itchy and uncomfortable I won't start worrying about your unhappy condition until you begin dragging your backside over the carpet... hang in there!

OK, time to think about what could be the final assault on woodwork, you guys...

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Id be happy to get you a shot of the leaves Chelone, once the sun is high enough for photo taking. Privet leaves look very similar . Are you and I the only ones up this morning ?

A female goldfinch was breakfasting at my newly hung thistle feeder this morning, while I was making coffee- I hope she tells her pals . I dont think my bottom heat seed mat is working. I havent used it for a couple of years so I suppose it could have just given up the ghost, though there surely arent very many parts to the thing. Im going to try a couple of different plug in options today.

Off to read the Sunday paper

Kathy in Napa

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    15 years ago

a quick post to answer Chelone.....

My 'fantasy' garden plan is not yet at the stage of drawing real plants on it - at this point they're just blobs of various heights and widths, marking spaces. But the 'rule' for spacing is that plants of the same species can/should be planted so that they begin to merge as they near mature size so they become a mass rather than retaining individual identity. Plants of different species should not merge and specimen plants are planted, of course, to retain their individuality even after maturity. On the plan you draw things at or near mature size. When you plant the garden, you aim to get plants of sufficient size that the initial garden, while using plants that may be much smaller than mature size, still has a similar relationship between the plant sizes that it will have as things mature. Overplanting is considered a dreadful thing and inexcusable :-) (...guilty as charged.... :-)

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

These are the leaves of Nuccios gem , fat with buds but no flowers yet.
    {{gwi:147330}}From Garden 2009
    {{gwi:147332}}From Garden 2009

• saucydog
    15 years ago

Happy Sunday!

I slept in. I went to the gym. I'm relaxing by the computer. It's a nice Sunday. Thankfully there are no Superbowl festivities anywhere near me. Just a little Sunday drive planned, so that we can drop my MIL's dogs off at their house.

I found a great new magazine called Garden & Gun (no kidding) and enjoyed a wonderful Camelia rescue story...they rescue the oldies, much the way people rescue old Roses. I was considering subscribing to this magazine, but forgot about it until Kathy's camelia's jogged my memory. I can't believe you can grow Camelia's there, too....California is just not real :)

I saw your area on the weather channel while at the gym...they were discussing the drought and how they expect it to go on....

Chelone, what are you planning for the floor? I see harlequin diamonds in black and taupe! What do you see? I also still like the spatter idea....

Cindy, I've had to put "Nose'n'Toes" on the shitzus feet all week - invisible shoes, I guess. They try to walk with two feet if you skip this step :) Between the sweaters, foot balm, and assorted harness/leash paraphenalia, I'm thinking the bigger the dog, the less work.

Of course there is always the more shedding issue....so perhaps it equals out.

Well, I'm going to go find some lunch and see what's up for the rest of my leisurely Sunday! Maybe I can sneak out to get my toenails painted blue :)

Saucy

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

72 degrees predicted as the high today. The ground is dry enough to allow plant moving activities. Have moved an established Dahlia which was similar to hoisting a 20 pound sack of potatoes . The soil is still a bit muddy in spots so its heavy. Im also trying to dig u[p a Lysmachia Alexander" that I foolishly planted some years ago after trying to copy a design I saw in a garden magazine -Im certain there would be drool spots on the pages If I unearthed that article now . I remember looking at it again and again. After replicating the scheme to the best of my ability I found that lo and behold things do not bloom at the same time in Northern California as they do in Connecticut (or wherever this garden was) and the combos that I was so taken with simply did not happen here. Live and learn ! Ive been trying to eradicate the Lysmachia for years.

Saucy, Camellia rescue sounds like a worthy pursuitI have never been able to move one with any success . They are downright ubiquitous here, I think there is at least one in every yard ! I only have 4 now, three of which are white which is the color I like best-

Ok , breaks over

Kathy in Napa

• cynthia_gw
    15 years ago

52F !!!!! But it's like putting hamburger in the sink to thaw 2 hours before dinner. Thawing is a long term process and the ice is too thick.

Saucy, are you sitting a shih tzu or did you add one to the family when I wasn't paying attention? Your 'bigger the dog' theory doesn't apply to greys. My theory is 'the furrier the dog' - I'm sort of surpised the shih tzu would need sweater.

Back outside, way too nice to be indoors. Have tried hacking ice to help it thaw faster, but it's not giving in. The back yard is now open, but no racing permitted.

Later - Cynthia

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

I'm back in town and way behind on my reading I see. I hope to work on that soon. In the meantime, I picked up many clothes after "super shopping" with my friend. Fortunately I got her to get some things as well to make me feel less guilty. I only shop about once every year or so, so that's OK I figure...

I see Saucy is concerned about her Sarah's picky-picky food habits. With Skyler, that is the only thing he felt he was able to control in his life...until the evil stepmother (DD)arrived! ;) Anyway, now he loves most foods and eats things many adults would refuse.

OK, time to unpack etc... Later!
    'bug

• veronicastrum
    Original Author
    15 years ago

cue the twilight zone music - I did a nice little post and it's not here!

rats! other obligations call right now - I'll try to repost later.

V.

• jak1
    15 years ago

Hello all, on a (finally!) sunny Sunday in Ontario.

A very nice day here. High of 0C (32F) and sunny. Went out last night and saw a terrific pair of musicians, and friends had DH and I over for dinner too. Came home just in time to sip a wine and watch 'the best superbowl commercials' show. Nice relaxing and pleasant evening with the moon sparkling on the snow, the fireplace doing its thing, and pleasant conversation with the menfolk. Golf was not mentioned once. This morning we all felt lazy and gave church a miss. I did a bunch of laundry and made some spareribs for dinner (yum!) and then TCS and I went out and built an igloo and tunnel in our snowbank. It was great to not freeze ourselves to bits while doing this. Men had naps, I read a book, TCS played with friends...very relaxing. This does not happen often here, and was a very welcome respite from our usually busy lives.

But my thoughts are turning to gardening. When we have this bright February sun, I miss my greenhouse terribly - this is the time of year that I used to open it up again as the sun would warm it like magic during the day....we often shared a cocktail at 3 p.m. out there on February days....I am filled with longing...

Saucy, I bet the 'Nose and Toes' is just like the 'Invisible Boots' that Ajax and his cousing Raia wear in the winter. It's a soy-based waxy cream that they love to lick off when the walkies are over. Has made a huge dent in the wimp factor for Ajax this winter.

Oh Kathy, I can't stand it! 72F, camelias blooming...arghhh why do we live in the Frozen North anyway? But I am thankful not to live in Australia where a buddy of mine is experiencing 115F this week. How could one live with that?

Glad you had a good time 'Bug. So who buys clothes anyway? I buy men's jeans because they fit me better...so there is not a lot of good stuff in my wardrobe. And your comments about Skyler and eating give me hope for TCS. He has been stuffing himself in anticipation of a lecture from the nutritionist on Tuesday.

Woody, the project sounds very demanding. And you seem to be rising to the occasion just fine...good tips coming from you in terms of 'overplanting'. I'm guilty too of this.

Well, off to put together the rest of dinner and get started on a relaxing Sunday evening. Hoping against hope that there will be something not sports-related on t.v. tonight. But there's always Scrabble...

Tomorrow.

Cheers,

Julie