Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dodgerdudette

Idyll #469 Wintry WALATING

dodgerdudette
14 years ago

WALATs occur between rainstorms here, in Muck boots.

Carry on Idylls..

Comments (104)

• gardenbug
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Well the topic for today was "make money" vs "earn money". I think Michelle earned money....just didn't receive it. YET!

Eden, I now understand all those Nana things you spoke of. Before it seemed so...saccarine. Now I love it all.
    You mean I have to put it back together?
    {{gwi:147597}}

Well Ric has had laryngitis for over 2 weeks now. It is so very frustrating for him. He is investigating having his friend keep the class for the entire term. This fellow has taught about 8 classes for him already. It just isn't fair to the students to be in limbo. We'll see if the university accepts this plan. His graduate students are all on top of things and doing well with email correspondence. Of course this means an extra course for DH next term. In the meantime, after collecting and faxing letters from his boss and the doctor, the jury duty scheduled to begin on Monday was canceled anyway. Sheesh.

As to colds, this year I have used saline nasal spray and really benefitted from it. I discovered many others praise it as well. Maybe that would help you too Chelone? Others use it regularly as a preventative. Something to ponder.

Today I picked up several books for Book Club. I want to start them all at once!

As to Candy's spoon, I vote for a back scratcher! I have a Chinese one and plan on taking it with me to my retirement home. (should I eventually go to one...)

OK, treadmill is finished for today. Time to unwind from it all.

• Lara Noles
    14 years ago

Marie, I just 5 minutes ago downloaded a similar picture off my camera. Taken yesterday...

{{gwi:147599}}

I think it's so cool that we both have granddaughters the same age!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

...and they're both so cute! Great pictures and funny how similar they are.

Woody, hope they get you at the beginning of the month! Still sending all good thoughts your way.

chelone, colds are no fun, but hot lemonade always tastes good-even better with a little added something!

'bug, sorry about Ric's laryngitis. A day or so of that is frustrating enough. Can't imagine two weeks!

My first thought on the spoon was that it would rest on the side of the pan, but I guess the notch isn't quite deep enough. This time of night, my brain is not working too well. Come to think of it, brain is lacking most of the time these days-ha.

Time for bed. Hoping the wintry mix for the morning is enough to give us a two-hour delayed start at school. At least I think that is the forecast for tomorrow-maybe it was for Friday-that brain issue again.

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Between storm fronts again, with the next wave expected to hit overnight . Looks like the high winds are over for the present . A couple trees are down in the park in my neighborhood, and noticed a few fences that are toppled too.

Well , Candy, very industrious use of the beat-up spoon ..we have no need of such a tool here I confess. I believe I would use the spoon for the Saucy method, dribbling out additional calories.

Michelle, Im glad You are in good standing with the boss, and are able to open discussions about $$..and Im always happy to hear about any business that had an up year in revenue. We are in the midst of our annual vendor meetings where we sit down with the top tier and plan for the year ahead. Results for 09 were uniformly bad, but on the plus side, some are projecting slight (very slight ) upswings in 2010..looks like we share a commonality though, having worked for the same company for 25 years ? On does get to know a little bit of everything by that time, huh ?

I m off to have some dinner, with a wave to all, and then some research for lodging in Santa Barbra when I visit Lotusland in April.

Kathy in Napa

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Avert your eyes Chelone, baby alert .

The heck with all this toy-playing stuff, mine is gardening..na-ner na-ner... {{gwi:147601}}From aiden

• chelone
    14 years ago

Enough already, you're going to make me sick... ;) I want to see a shot of Aiden eating dirt. Or doing something similiarly indicative of his developing awareness of all things horticultural.

I took Rex out at about 5 AM and it was beautiful outdoors. Cold (12-15), crystal clear with beautiful stars. Apparently the night shift was pretty active last night because he sported his semi-Mohawk and did a lot of snuffling and galloping around with his nose in the snow. Idiot.

It's about time to put a few sticks in the Salon stove in preparation for some work today. I may not be in the refrigerated workplace but there is still work to be done here. And smearing germs on a variety of surfaces won't bother anyone, it'll remain my own special secret.

The laryngitis has lasted a long time, huh, 'bug? The poor guy must be driving you nuts. I'd be about ready to eviscerate the helpmeet if he'd been moping around the house for 2 wks., lol.

Time to mine the catbox and rustle up some morning grub. Later.

• saucydog
    14 years ago

I hope you rustled up the grub before you mined the litter box, Chelone (oh I crack myself right up)!

Sneaking in but I need to get back to work!

Saucy

• chelone
    14 years ago

The filing cabinets have been disassembled and delivered to the powdercoating place. Price for completion will depend on whether or not the present finish (olive green) is painted or coated and that will be determined by putting one in the oven used to cure the powdercoating and seeing if the finish burns or not. If it doesn't burn it will be pretty inexpensive; burning will require some sandblasting before the final finish is applied. Fascinating process and the portfolio is crammed with beautiful custom work on motorcycles (tons of really "tricked out" Choppers). More exciting, however, was the refurbished patio furniture in their portfolio. Our set needs attention badly and when I go back with my final color choice for the file cabinets I'm going to put the most decayed chair in the back of the car for a professional opinion.

I have to learn about wireless routers and receivers before I may move the computer to the Salon and not have to pay the cable company any more money. I will NOT give them one more dime, they're already overpriced and without any competition in my area. "Bending over" for an additional monthly charge isn't part of my plan for increased independence, thanks. It's high time they were more regulated since even the federal government is now encouraging people to conduct business on-line.

I "mine" and thoroughly wash up before I feed, Saucy. You crack me up, too. :)

I am feeling better, but still feel as though I'm wearing a football helmet that's about 2 sizes too small. :) Probably should've gone to work today (paycheck will be grim) but somehow bumbling through another day unimpeded by what's increasingly becoming "meaningless" work seemed preferable. My "slacker" credentials are now fully updated, methinks.

What to do now? (blow my nose again).

• Lara Noles
    14 years ago

How nice to see Aiden show up and join the baby party! Now we just need to see Drema's crew.

Sick men, ughhh! I have two friends who have husbands that have slipped and broken an ankle or foot in the last few weeks and another friend who's husband is scheduled for surgery. For some reason I always feel almost sorrier for the wives that have to deal with them than I do the actual patients. Hope Ric's voice returns soon and he's off to the university, Marie. Two weeks seems like an awful long time to be without a voice. I have to admit I'm not very nursery.

Chelone, remember my pink chairs? I had them done at a place that does auto painting. Pricey for me since I wanted the particular shade of pink and it seems no one wanted a car/motorcyle that color so they had to order it special. You should have seen how awful and rusty they were when I got them at the flea market.

I have Kate today. She's such an easy baby. So content to play by herself. We did read a few storybooks and now it's about naptime. Bella will be here within the hour and I'll use the window inbetween to make a pot of chicken tortilla soup. David's coming by later for dinner.

Not sure where this day is going but it's flying by.

Eden

• chelone
    14 years ago

Eden, nice that you've popped in because some of the patio furniture in the portfolio reminded me of you and those yummy pink chairs! isn't that funny? you never know when an Idyll will cross your mind. Not a lot of call for Mary Kay pink, eh? I'm thinking of a nice metallic black and maybe highlighting the floral pattern on the back and arms with some gold... . I've also considered a nice burgundy or dark green metallic, too. Best to keep that one under my hat since the helpmeet would find those color choices a little bit scarey to consider. Hehehe...

We had chicken soup for lunch and I plaintively asked that we not have it for dinner (that would be 5 meals in a row by my calculation). I'm happy to report that we will be having scallops.

The cats have been thoroughly enjoying the sunshine today. They go out the back door onto the deck. They go down the hole to the switch backs and to the ground. Then they circle the house and end up in the windowbox outside the Rat's Nest and nag the helpmeet to let them back inside. Or they return to the deck and cry piteously at the back door. Some life.

Time for "Law and Order"! gotta go. :)

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Speaking of cats and sunshine, this is our crew today:
    {{gwi:147603}}

Chelone and Kathy, another baby picture with toys...
    {{gwi:147604}}

Lots of little stuff going on today too. First the guy came to remove our old satellite dish. YEAH! I wish the TV tower would go too, but we use it to hold the weather station and our newer setup for the computers.

After finishing treadmill#1 of the day and breakfast and fireplace stoking and so on, I left for town.
    There was the local police presence for me to admire.
    {{gwi:147605}}

Then, since I had my camera, thought you should know that both our nearby library and the next town over's library have been recently refurbished as they were examples of Carnegie libraries of the area and worth preserving. The limestone one could not be made wheelchair accessible, but the red brick one was. There is a third library between these two which is less exciting architecturally, but which offers great service as well.
    {{gwi:147607}}

{{gwi:147609}}

On the health front, DH is still home, working at his computer and resting and eating too. He walks Phoebe at least 3 times a day which is good for them both. This business of having him want attention and being waited on is wearing mighty thin, but I've been at it for 46 years, so I'll carry on.

Onward with my day! Hope you are enjoying yours!
    'bug

• chelone
    14 years ago

The one on the ottoman cracked me up. My aunt referred to that sort of thing as a "sun bath". They're so cute.

Mr. Carnegie was really something, wasn't he? the library in our town and the one just to the north are both legacies of his money, too, 'bug.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

Now those are the kind of libraries I grew up with. Good solid buildings! Great photo of the cats-such a good feeling lying in the sun, isn't it?

Kathy, keep that little guy working! Just think how much mulch he'll be able to haul in a few years. Too cute. I think the Idyll imps are the cutest babies around-and our four-legged ones are pretty adorable, too! I am hoping our grandpup comes for a visit this weekend. Clouseau is in desperate need of amusement, but Koda can't come until he is finished with his antibiotics and get his shots.

Well, it wasn't today, but it is tomorrow that may bring a delay of school. The good news is no one will be able to tell any difference when I am actually diagnosed with dementia.

Eden, would love to see those pink chairs. Last fall I bought an Art Deco iron set of two chairs and a table that needs refinishing. I was thinking of going with either purple or green (a light, spring green). Anyone want to vote? They will probably go out in the yard, not on the patio, but I'm not really sure yet.

I am planning to start reading the New Hosta Encyclopedia in bed tonight. I do need to hit the library this weekend. Feeling the need for a murder mystery or two.

Chelone, scallops sounds great. DH finished the chili I made on Tuesday. I had two bowls of ice cream. Tomorrow will be a pork roast.

Just realized what time it is. Dreaming of ice and snow and delayed openings...

• gardeningmary
    14 years ago

Good morning

I'm loving all the baby pics - keep them coming:0)

GB - what wonderful old library buildings. Hope DH continues to mend.

Cyn - it's funny for me to see you write about Clouseau as our dog shares the same name and I wondered how you knew he needed amusement.

Last night for dinner, after the seed of an idea was planted here, I made Chicken with 40 Garlic Gloves. I followed an Ina Garten recipe but cooked it in the oven rather than the stovetop. We all love garlic and chicken. It was delicious and provided me with the opportunity for a rare glass of mid-week wine (I can imbibe when I like during the summer, but during the school year I have so much to and from activities in the evenings I treat myself only at weekends.)

After, we all watched a History Channel special on Gallus gallus domesticus (the chicken) and more specifically eggs production. I learned some new cool facts but found it hard to watch the conditions battery hens are kept in.

Drema - did I tell you I'm building a hoophouse from PVC piping? It will cost under $30 which appeals to my frugal nature. I plan to replace the plastic with bird netting mid-summer which will allow me to harvest veggies before the critters do. It looks a super easy project and I might start this weekend, we're supposed to hit mid 40's.

Have a good Friday everyone

Mary

• Lara Noles
    14 years ago

I hunted up a picture for you Cyn. This is from '07 but it gives you an idea of the chairs...

{{gwi:147611}}

Eden

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

Ooh-the chairs are so pretty, Eden. They are perfect with the flowers! My color scheme, too. Is your door purple? Our front and kitchen doors are purple and I love that!

Mary, here's how I know our Clouseau is in need of amusement-he stands in front of me, winks, waits, gives a little whine...I get up, let him out the door...he goes about two feet...turns around...looks at me and mom (Annabelle)...neither of us go out...I close door...he pushes it open...comes in...jumps on mom...runs back out open door...turns and stares...repeat again...I go out and mom follows...he charges down the stairs, across the dirt that used to be a garden, leaps onto the patio...turns and stares...runs back up...jumps and goes down in front...mom and I give little jumps as if we are going to run, too...he takes off...races around...comes back up when he realizes we aren't there...repeat. To quote chelone..."idiot." Actually, it is very funny and Annabelle will eventually run and play sometimes, but a puppy would be so much more fun for him.

Michelle, meant to thank you for the kind thoughts about sending your homemade applesauce. That is one of the best treats-so much better than store-bought, isn't it? I had an aunt who cooked hers with the peels, so it was pink. Always loved that!

Candy, did we ever get the answer to the spoon quiz?

Uhoh-lunch is over-need to deal with two wee ones who were sniffing dry erase markers. Never a dull moment-LOL.

• jak1
    14 years ago

Happy Friday everyone!

I have managed a "read along" for the last few days but I rarely get a chance to get near the computer....DH has discovered on-line backgammon and plays for a good part of the afternoon, and then TCS is allowed an hour every day on his favourite sites after I have supervised homework and music; then it's time for me to do my most dreaded chore: Make Dinner. *sigh* I am getting cabin fever I think.

I think of you guys often as I go about my daily routine. Today's Julie Job was to tie a clean tea towel around the mop and go around knocking down all the cobwebs and assorted crud from the ceiling where it meets the walls. I thought of Marian with a smile, remembering her anxiety, unfounded, about meeting her DS's friend not so long ago. And I think of Chelone as I hang my laundry out in the frozen sun, and then bring it in the next day and festoon the wooden racks in the house....

And was it Saucy who posted "I rode my bicycle past your window last night...." on Facebook? Well, thanks a bunch, DH and I have been singing it for days.

Chelone, I knew what your recommendation would be for the dogs the second I typed the question...*LOL*...I have a spray called "Shoo" and I wipe down the furniture with it - but then I found Ajax licking it off yesterday, so it obviously isn't the answer. I had them both outside to play as usual yesterday, when I found an old Frisbee belonging to TCS. Tucker went absolutely crazy when he saw it - obviously someone in his former life took the time to play with him. Sadly my sixth throw sent the frisbee into the yard next door, and I know it will never be seen again...It's not that easy to buy Frisbees around here in winter...

Eden I love the pink chairs, and I like Chelone's colour choices too. I smiled when you mentioned the helpmeet's possible reaction to your colours - DH likes gray and white - that's it. My life would be lonely and boring without him, but Geeze Louise, one needs to be just a little more daring than gray and white...

The babies are all so sweet - and growing, well, like weeds - springing up before our very eyes. Keep 'em coming, they are such a treat to see.

I am quite fortunate as mining the catbox is not my chore - I do doggie gifts, he does the cat thing. To make his life easier, DH bought a Littermaid, one of those electronic cat boxes that rakes itself ten minutes after the cat has paid a visit. Tucker finds the sound of it very provoking and races, barking, to the laundry room door every time he hears the thing, and Paws uses it during the night quite a bit. Tucker also finds used cat litter to be a satisfying snack, so ten minutes after he has manged to get in there, the thing rakes again and he is off yapping his head off, not realizing that he has put the thing into motion. It can be annoying but I must admit we all find it hysterically funny. You know what they say about small minds...

Tucker and Ajax have found the ceramic tiles in the kitchen where the sun hits to be a most pleasant place to stretch out. Love the comfortable look of your cats, Bug. I think I agree with Chelone - cats have a sort of neat life.

BTW, Chelone, do you have e-mail yet? I have a question for you....

Gotta run - school bus time then I'm out of luck on here!

Cheers,

Julie

• candy_j
    14 years ago

I am glad to see Friday and this ridiculously busy week behind me! DH and I are going to his cousins for a housewarming party scheduled on Sunday, then take our time meandering home. No itinerary but we intend to make it a 4 day weekend. Surely we can find a place where the sun is shining, you think? This is the tenth day of grey, overcast and fog with one exception. I never really saw the sun but the low sky broke up and it grew lighter for a short time. Guess I shouldnt complain, you dont have to shovel grey and dreary.

Cute baby pictures! Kathy those eyes get me every time, are they really sapphire? Eden, Kate is just a doll and she sounds exceptionally good natured. Again, so happy theres a little boy on the way! I dont see any goosebumps on Ivy so DDs house must be snug and toasty warm, bug.

Now those are traditional library buildings. The red one reminds me of a school, was it one in the past?

Oh yes!almost forgot. Eden, those pink chairs are fantastic - in fact, Im sure the whole porch is, too! Love to see more of your garden photos.

Cynthe Pop Quiz spoon answer is right at the bottom of that post. I fear for my Idyllship if being too wordy is tripping the buzzer on the bore-ometer, lol.

Mary, you tease You knew a hoop house would have me conjuring up visuals and curiosity for another of your projects! Already Im wondering how you will anchor it to the ground. Dont be shy with the camera this weekend. Id like to return on Tuesday and find a nice little documentary, pleasewith photos of course.

Hi Julie and thanks for the cobweb reminder. Without sunlight I havent been checking for them!

Waving to allhave a good weekend!

Misc. Pic of the day: Not here, but somebody got some snow!
    {{gwi:147612}}

• chelone
    14 years ago

I've kept an ear cocked to the Oprah Winfrey program this afternoon. Sarah Palin and her daughter, Bristol, were guests. That girl is as dumb as a box of rocks, IMO. What's the ulterior motive for subjecting her to national scrutiny yet again (money?). I certainly hope she has an investment advisor if she doesn't plan to live with Mom and Dad in perpetuity or they've failed to set her up with a trust fund.

Julie, beatings are good. When Wrecks was in full "destructo mode" we hadn't quite beaten him into submission with obedience work. It was really very interesting to watch the metamorphosis, actually. Once we were both on board with obedience work and began using "Mr. Leash" as the enforcer he began to really "come around". I suggest you go back to working with each dog individually ON LEASH, and make it "just the two of you time", leave the second idiot at home! The mother of the Wrecking Crew has yet to split them up for training. I know that's inconvenient for her, but I honestly feel that failure to do so has made the whole training process a lot more difficult that it needs to be. E-mail is back!!!

So, I was in problem solving mode this morning.
    1.) I went to the blacksmith this morning with my dreadfully inadequate stove "tools". He knew exactly what I was saying when I told them, "these suck". I have two new tools on order and also the rack and bumper that will be installed on the side of the chimney. They will be ready in about 2 wks. and I'm thrilled; no more time wasted searching the web in vain for quality "hearth" tools!
    2.) Recyclables are turned in and the cash is in my wallet.
    3.) The homely love seat is out of the Salon. I've moved the two lovely "Martha Washington" chairs from my late aunt's home in. The upholstery is dreadful, but the lines are great.
    4.) I've gotten an estimate for the stair runner for the Salon staircase (in virtually indestructable polypropylene). There's a lot of work to accomplish before any installation can occur, but at least I have a price in mind. And the patterns and colors were not too bad.
    5.) Final color choice has been made for the file cabinets that will support the desktop in the Salon. And more information on what's required to refinish the patio set was gathered. I'm really excited about doing it.
    6.) And GET THIS: the helpmeet has finally hoed out the Board Room! many things have been added to the burn pile and the back of his wagon is full of items to go to the transfer station tomorrow. This is HUGE because now there will a place to park the fabric score for the immediate future.

Mum used to make gallons of home made applesauce. And it IS better than store bought stuff. She also made a fabulous applesauce cake. Applesauce is highly underrated, methinks. Hope the choppers are better, Cyn.. Send some to me, Michelle!

Dreaming of hoop houses, chickens permitted to be CHICKENS, and yummy pink garden chairs I'll toddle out to the Salon to ready the stove for the overnight burn after we have dinner. Warms thoughts to all on a chilly day.

• denisez10
    14 years ago

Just swapped out the old kitty litter for fresh. Joseph was boycotting the catbox and twice I had to do an "emergency airlift" of him from a rug to the catbox, the little varmint.

What regal libraries. And look at those stripes on Kate! Nice to know babies still play with the toy Ivy is pictured with -- some things never change, I guess. Mr. B. has such beautiful strawberry blonde coloring.

Storms have temporarily abated. This was the LA lighthouse yesterday afternoon. Marty got called in for two overtime watches, today and yesterday. The guy they're ready to promote when Marty retires has been taken "off the wheel" for 60 days, after multiple complaints from pilots not feeling safe with him at the wheel. You can fake it all year, but not during winter storms like this one.

{{gwi:147613}}

Now I've got to either walk or sleep, both necessary but can't decide which!

• chelone
    14 years ago

Marty is definitely "puttin' in the weather", Denise. And you're right, you either know how to deal with stormy seas or you don't. Bottom line, when you're responsible for people's lives you'd best know what you're doin'!

Beautiful shot of the lighthouse. Laughed at the image of Joseph and the emergency "air lifts"... Ein wouldn't clean up the turds to help his Mummy? :)

• saucydog
    14 years ago

Blow that photo up and frame it Denise!

I've been meaning to pass you a link to this site - I think it'd be the perfect retirement gift for Marty (I want this one of my ship!) - but I don't know prices, so beware...plus I don't see any tugs, but they do special orders.

Just thinking...

Saucy

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

My friend in Oregon sends me photos of her witchhazel and hellebores, cyclamen and more. It is supposed to lift my spirits, but boy...It will be months before I even see snowdrops!

Today the last of my uncles sent me a letter saying, among other things, that this is his 26th year of retirement. He sent me news of how arthritic he is, who brings him meals, who cleans the house. Also the birth and death dates of his four siblings, my father being the oldest of the five. I've always been afraid to write him because of my French, but I need to slap myself in the face and get to it this weekend. He has NO ONE left.

Yesterday we had exciting news for us. I know this is dreary stuff for anyone else, but our friends in our environmental organization (GWO) WON THEIR CASE. This means so much to us! Here is what one friend wrote them:
    I just can't tell you how happy I am about this decision - you have fought
    so long and hard and smart! Your ability to present such a strong case gives
    everyone at GWO cause for celebration and optimism. We always hoped that an
    application would be overturned and that it would hopefully turn the tide of
    rubber-stamped applications and this just might be it. Thank you, thank
    you, thank you for your dedication and perseverance.

DD has phoned discouraged, focusing on Skyler. I know some of it is her cold, some hormones, but really she's had a horrendous week with the monster.
    - Last weekend he went for a sleepover and the family went to bed and LEFT HIM UP ALONE watching movies. His friend had locked himself in his room and was playing computer games. DSIL walked past the house later with the dog and found him alone. He stayed while he finished the movie and then took him home, furious.
    -Tuesday there was his learning to use an air gun at school, with no announcement beforehand from the school. Some guy from the Olympics came and showed him how to use it. DSIL was furious.
    -Wednesday was a meeting of minds over dinner. DD has HAD IT with whining and bartering and simply says eat it or don't. Shut up about it. We are your parents and know what is best for you to eat and how much. Ivy eats better and more than he does. The dog actually has the best manners.
    -Thursday was Fiddler on the Roof night and though sick, DD was very excited. They performed it when she was in school and she knows every song by heart. Well at intermission, Skyler started a fight when his Dad refused to buy him a hot chocolate. Crying and screaming ensued. When he returned to his seat, Sarah had no patience for him and told him she came to enjoy something very special and he could have hot chocolate any old time. He shut up but promptly fell asleep and woke up later and asked LOUDLY what was going on in the play, to everyone's annoyance. DSIL was furious for the second half of the play and apologized to DD for not enjoying the evening out.

So today, DD phoned me to ask what two things she should focus on the next week he stays with them. I think she needs the week to unwind and plan. I'm not sure where I'd begin either because having one week at his Mom's often wipes out any advances they have made.

Sigh.

Tomorrow my friends arrive for an overnight. Dinner will be simple and good. DH cannot talk. But we'll do OK. They bring breakfast goodies.

Today Phoebe had a nice walk with her friend who came to visit her once more because it was sunny out. Yeah!

Enough about me and mine!

The red library building actually is the same design as the limestone one if you look carefully. Neither was a school.

Eager to view Mary's next project! Chelone's too of course. Great news on the Board Room!
    [PS: Chelone. Do you still have that writing booklet of mine somewhere or did it make it to the dump?]

Candy's picture of the day reminds me of my kitchen doorway most years. There's a whirlpool of snow there usually due to the wind direction and house structure. So far, not this year!

Denise, I'm speechless when it comes to Marty's work and the fabu fabu photo!

Bonne nuit mes amies!
    'bug

• chelone
    14 years ago

Writing booklet is secure right next to me, 'bug... under a recently received insurance policy.

Skyler needs his buttocks lifted about 6". What a little -hithead. Sounds like bedtime without any dinner at all might be just the ticket. The quicker he learns it ain't all about him the better off he'll be. ((('bug's DD))). Not acceptable at all that a child is left all alone to watch movies, whatever happened to BEDTIME, for Pete's sake?

Meant to add the scene outside the kitchen door is amazing. Can you imagine being a settler in a soddy or a cabin and waking up to that sort of scene? I always think of that sort of thing when I see shots of serious snowstorms.

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The weekend recipes have been selected, Coq au Vin (not a new recipe, but an old favorite and the weather is perfect) and Sweet and Sour Pork - a new version and Minnesota Wild Rice Soup is waiting in the wings pending spare time. The possibility exists that it may not rain much, if at all, tomorrow so I may spend some quality time with the brush pile. It has rained almost non-stop since Sunday and what a soggy mess the garden is ! Fortunately , the brush pile is on concrete .

Did I say bug , how much I enjoyed the buildings from your visit to town ? I really need to add a few more photos to my architecture file. I remember last winter I had plans to start a separate thread for pics of interesting buildings in our towns, and I went out a couple of times to take the photos. More are needed !

And I always do love to see photos of Edens garden ..especially the pink chairs .

Mary , I once had a pvc-pipe hoop house, but it has since been demod as the components started to deteriorate over time. I used greenhouse grade poly sheeting because it was UV protected had a three year warranty. Regular poly breaks down pretty quick in the sun. My DH and I built it in a weekend, and it even had a door, with redwood bender board as the frame. I still have the benches he made for me, and I hope to have a pre-fab greenhouse one day if I can clear a spot for it.

How clever of you Chelone, to go to a blacksmith to have your fire tools made. I never would have thought of it. You are right, the fire-tool selection is woeful and swollen with cheap-o crapola from China. We (speaking of the American consumer ) seem to be in a place where we accept low quality junk that we toss into the land-fill and re-purchase every couple of years. I would rather spend 100 bucks and get something that will last 20 years (or more) than 5 bucks on the disposable version. Guess that why most of my furniture is antique. I mean, could you walk into the local Ashley Furniture outlet and find anything remotely close to that chair you have by your computer desk ? Not a chance.

Candy, Mr Baby does indeed sport some nice eyes ! Both DD and I are blue-eyed and I guess thats where it came from. Both my children were blessed with beautiful eyes..DS s are hazel. Lol , I thought the same thing when I saw Ms Ivy in her scant attire, and conclude that people in cold climates keep their houses warmer that we zone 9 dwellers. I rarely have the thermostat above 64 in winter, and our houses are not nearly as well insulated.

Wow, Denise that sure is an uncharacteristic SoCal view ! And what a wonderful photo.

Julie , I am envisioning the yapping of the hounds as the auto-litter box does its deed. And Frisbees are available for purchase here year round.

Time for dinner , and onward to the weekend..

Kathy in Napa

• saucydog
    14 years ago

Well then, Chelone, you must have my IU6 wine glass? I left it in the Salon while I was packing.

What other treasures did you find?

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Saucy, an extra IU6 wine glass can be had in Napa -I saved a few

• chelone
    14 years ago

Saucy, your wine glass is on the windowsill in the Salon and it's presently holding safetypins. Not only that, but there is another one in the china cabinet, and I have no idea to who that one belongs. But it's safe and secure behind the glass doors. along with your bee stemware. Fear not.

The stillness of predawn on the Compound is broken only by periodic coughing from a rapidly deteriorating helpmeet. He seems to be on a schedule about 3 days behind your's truly. I looked in on him and Nurse Polly is on the job, so he's in capable paws. He can spend the day in the rack as far as I'm concerned but he'd better get that load of crap in his wagon to the transfer station first (he ain't THAT sick). ;)

I found a roll of 96" #8 cotton duck that I'd purchased before Mum arrived in late '03, too. I recall working out the dimensions for a couple of floorcloths, but am now quite certain the preliminary drawings and "cipherin's" have long since been recycled. Also a traverse rod and several other interesting items. And I also found the shots of the original level of chaos in there and will try to duplicate them to illustrated the reduction in crap.

Julie, the thought of the dogs exhibiting Pavlovian behavior over an automated catbox is really very funny. And further underscores the baseness of a dog's nature. Which is why, of course, I hate dogs. Is there anything on the planet they won't eat?

The blacksmith was fascinating. He's wonderfully talented, and does really amazing work. Wonderfully intricate gates and garden art along with a good deal of repair work and the occasional small job (stove tools for weirdos like me). Vulcan lives! he was listening to classical music and I saw clear evidence of a kitty, so he must be a good guy.

Yeah, Kathy, I think I'm getting weirder with every passing year. I spent hours looking all sorts of sites trying to find the sorts of tools I wanted. It's all the same "canned" crap, over and over. But in a variety of designer finishes and for not inconsequential amounts of money! From a practical standpoint, tongs are about as useful as teats on a boar when you're working inside a woodstove. And shallow ash shovels are a complete nuisance, as are the stupid little brooms. I even tried that standby purveyor of all practical items, Lehmann's, no luck there, either. Wish I'd had the presence of mind to visit Vulcan's forge a couple of months ago, lol. I mentioned I was on my way to the powdercoating place and he instantly asked me if I "make things, too". We had an interesting conversation about planned obsolescence and the difficulty in finding the sorts of tools that go hand in hand with burning wood. Interesting how what was once commonplace has now fallen by the wayside as the practice of burning wood or coal has largely fallen by the wayside.

My lineage sports blue and green eyes. Don't think there's a set of brown eyes in the ranks, come to think of it. Hmmm.

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

For what it is worth, DH and I had a mesh screen across the front of our original wood stove opening. It was in need of repair when we arrived here, and so, devious souls that we are, we asked at the local Jerusalem Mennonite Buggy Shop about the chances of him being able to fix it. Basically, we were eager to see the construction of the buggies and learn a bit more about our neighbors! Well sure enough, we were satisfied on all fronts! The carriages were amazing and of all varieties. Some even had subtle trim on them in colors!!!!(This still surprises me) The screen was repaired and there was confusion about what to pay for the work. He suggested $5-$10 for his time and received over double what he asked for. A repair job in town would have been in the hundreds! As for our tools, well we often allow it to cool down at night if we will be out the following morning, so we use an old dustpan and brush and the bottom drawer for emptying out the ashes. We have bellows and 2 pokers which have history for us, one made by a friend's grandfather, the other our own from way back. Nothing very classy, but it works. We often gaze at the brassy sets in the window of the shop in town, but never think they look useful, so glad to now have this verified.

As to eyes, I always was told I had hazel colored eyes. Then in middle age I was told they were green! I love green eyes. Then they seemed to change according to what I wore. Now they are grayish blue. Go figure! You live long enough and you see everything and more!

Last night I managed to begin another Book Club read: Through Black Spruce by Joseph Boyden. I am enjoying it.

Here's a review:
    This is a complex and colorful tale that deals with the incredible struggles of a First Nations family's attempts to become reconciled after years of living apart and suffering alone. The novel's main setting encompasses the wilds of northern Ontario where a family has grown up learning to survive by living off the land. As they reach adulthood, the pull of the urban south enters their lives and the family draws apart.The story picks up when an uncle and niece eventually reconnect under very strange and tragic circumstances. The uncle, Willie Bird, is in a deep coma and at possibly at death's door because of a serious plane crash while the niece, Annie Bird, has come home from her desperate search for a future in her missing sister in the jungles of the big bad city. The only tangible connection between the two is through a poignantly silent drawing together of their individual stories as inner emotions and hurts pass through their clutching hands at they come together at the uncle's bedside. Guilt is cleansed and the true spiritual essence of who they are as kith and kin emerges. Everything in this novel is a revisiting of the formative events of their respective pasts as the Willie and Annie draw close to each other in a transcending spiritual bond. Boyden is especially effective in mapping out the journey that native people take from their roots in the wilderness to the fleshpots of the big city in search of an ever-elusive identity. As they talk within themselves, the images of a sordid and unhappy past flash up on the big screen of life and disappear. The reader gets to see what really causes extended families like the Birds to be uprooted and then to come together later in life as only a shadow of their former self.The only triumphal part of this novel is the desire of the main characters to work through their problems and recapture something of the essence of family. It is through the retelling of these misadventures that the uncle and niece confront their failings and move on to enjoy each other. I like this book for its ability to both explore and personalize the psychological and spiritual drama of two very separate journeys and unite them under one tent at the end. Happiness for any culture is definitely bound up in the reassuring embraces of family. Boyden offers a very graphic description of the hardships of First Nations people who move outside the reserve and become separated from kin. That alone makes this book worth reading.

One reason this book appeals to me is that I know the area written about, Moosonee and Moose Factory, as well as other northern areas. I also know the "evil" city of Toronto. The plight of First Nations People is painful for me, having seen the problems in Labrador, British Columbia, Alberta... as well as Ontario. Good writing too!

Off to start the Day.
    'bug

• gardeningmary
    14 years ago

Good morning

My early morning market run was solo today as my friend is travelling, but what it lacked in company, it made up for with great buys. I came away with a huge bag of local Honeycrisp apples for $2, fingerling potatoes, tiny eggplant, other assorted veggies, fresh figs and a bag of Key Limes. I can't wait to cook.

Kathy, you're right, from what I've read UV stabilized film is essential. I got some remnants from the company linked below.

Candy - I will stabilize with lenghts of rebar sunk into the ground, and the frame secured to those with cable ties or wire. I find pounding in shorter lengths so much easier than attempting anything tall.

Denise - what a fabulous photo. I would have guessed Maine rather than LA.

GB - how rotten to hear about the ongoing trials with Skylar. It's hard to believe the sleepover parents are so irresponsible and uncaring. But dealing with the other side of his family must be the hardest.

Al sorts of things are calling and the sky is blue. Have a happy and productive day eveyrone

Mary

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

Funny that our eye color was mentioned. I was studying mine in the mirror last night,trying to determine what color they are. I concluded that they are blue-green, but I alway have had blue on my driver's license. My ancestry is mostly German, Dutch, Irish, and Swede,( Hienz 57), so blue would be appropriate.

Chelone. My stove tools were my mothers. I have her poker, ash shovel and dust pan. All metal. The poker and shovel were for her cook stove. Somewhere I have the soot rake. I don't think it has been lost in the shuffle!. I use a regular whisk broom to sweep around the base of the stove. So far, I can still get good brooms.

The cheap stuff that really aggravates me is the toilet brushes! They fall apart in just a month or two!
    And the drip pans for my electric range. Just one boil over removes the chrome!

Taking pics of historical buildings in town sounds like a good idea. I hope I remember to do so, when the weather moderates.

• veronicastrum
    14 years ago

It's a hazy, lazy Saturday here in the Midwest. The temperatures are above freezing so our snow cover is sublimating this morn. My personal battery is completely discharged after a very busy week, so I am in total slug mode today.

We had a group of 17 go to see the touring production of Mamma Mia last night. The show is fun, the cast featured some great voices, and we were not embarrassed to get up and sing and dance during the final numbers. We even brought along our own wooden spoons to serve as fake mics. Yes, we are nuts but it was a lot of fun!

Chelone and Kathy, I'm another one who agrees with the comments about the cheap crap on the market today. Good for you for engaging the local blacksmith. My personal rant on cheap stuff is mattress covers. The ones you can buy today are a joke.

Denise, I love the lighthouse photo, although if I looked at it too long I could get seasick! Yes, Marty would never want to have me on his boat.

I hear a basket of laundry calling my name. I really should get something done today, otherwise Chelone will disown me!

V.

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Chicken is marinating for tomorrows Coq au Vin , 2pm beer poured, laundry 80% complete but no gardening was performed today- a few showers and one downpour put the kibosh on that idea. Everything is wet as can be, lots of puddles and standing water are seen here. There was sun today though, which was nice to see even briefly. I managed to get my walk in this morning before the weather turned again. I made a brief reconnaissance of the garden, staying on paths that were non-muddy, and low an behold, tulips and daffodils were observed, just breaking through .

Mary, the poly I put up on my greenhouse actually lasted about 5 years I think , even though the warranty was for 3. I used clear c-9 christmas light as my heating system, stringing them under the benches. I was able to get 7 degrees temp raise as I recall , which worked fine for the type of things I had in there over winter. If I ever get my RV space redone, a small, (very small) greenhouse is a priority .

Thats all for me , time to finish the chores..

Waves to all !

Kathy in Napa

• drema_dianne
    14 years ago

Hi everyone!

Denise, nice pic of the light house, but too bad you had to have the bad weather to get it. Nice that they asked your husband to pilot the boat, good positive affirmation for him. Do you think you are coming to the Idyllunion?

V, is the play like the movie? I liked the movie, but I bet it would be fun to see it as a live show. My laundry is calling me too, but I am ignoring it, lol. Can't seem to get myself motivated to sort socks.

Bug, nice pic of Phoebe, she looks very cute with her haircut. Hope things settle down for Sarah and Wayne. It is hard when you only have the kids part time. For lots of reasons, of which I am sure I am stating the obvious, duh! Do you think he might be having some sort of reaction to something in his diet? Devin has a bad reaction to sugar.

Mary, your hoop house sounds like a great idea, and I am sure you will get it set up before I get mine. If you want me to get some windows for you, let me know.

Laura, if you want me to keep some windows so you can have them, I will be happy to do it. You live pretty close to me, probably 2 or 2 1/2 hours. By the way, you posted a really cool Begonia pic some time ago, it has sort of fuzzy leaves, almost shaped like a grape leaf, and I just loved it. Do you remember the name? I want to keep my eyes open for one, since I have decided there is no way I can just buy veggies this year, lol.

Kathy, Bug, and Eden, babies are adorable:)

Chelone, you are making great progress! Good job.

My baby dog chewed through my MacBook power cord the other night. Sean was showing me a little bit on how to use Photoshop, and the cord was right between us on the couch. I have been very careful about it, because she is cutting teeth. She has chewed my stairs, the wallpaper off the wall, the rocker on my new upholstered rocking chair, even tries to chew the wrought iron table leg. She has a million toys, kongs, etc. Anyway, I was looking at the computer and just that quick those little razor teeth chomped it in half. One chomp $80. She is a little sweetie pie though. Very smart, and once I get her trained, she may be the best dog I have ever had. Her classes will start soon.

Hope you all have a great evening!!

D.

• Lara Noles
    14 years ago

Drema, do you remember what color the begonia leaves were? I used to have probably at least 40 different ones. Now days I think I have maybe half a dozen.

• drema_dianne
    14 years ago

We are watching (I think) the whole series of Indiana Jones. I don't mind one, but I can only watch so much TV...so, I am surfing...
    Eden, it was just a few months ago, you said it was one of your favorites, the leaves were green, with a possible little edging of a reddish, but that was not predominate. Don't know if that makes any sense..

Skip is not feeling well, has been coughing and sneezing all day, so i am going toget him some medicine, put the dogs out and call it a night.

D.

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

Just returned from a day long funeral. Rick's uncle who was a bachelor and English teacher passed away after a short bout with Alzheimers at 68. We had a time with other cousins, then the cemetery and then lunch. We drove to the school where he taught and they had an incredible "Celebration of Life" He must have been an awesome teacher and to quote many of his students "he inspired them" I guess one former student started a facebook page. Nearly 500 people have joined the page. The comments are incredible. He was a unique, talented, caring and complex man. Oh, he loved garden too.

The reason I make the homemade applesauce is because our apple tree produces apples that really are best for either applesauce or baking. Cyn, I cook mine with the peels on and then run them through the colander and freeze it. Its the easiest way possible.

I have blue eyes and we have quite a few of the Carnegie libraries around here also. Quite a few are no longer libraries but museums or something similar.

What great shots of the littlest Idylls. I do have to say that I like Aidens activity best.

Denise, cool lighthouse picture. Jeremy loved lighthouses when he was younger. One vacation we trekked around Michigan trying to scope out all the lighthouses we could.

Drema, bummer about the cord.

bug, your DDs situation is a really tough one and sounds pretty discouraging. Hopefully, their consistency will eventually pay off.

Chelone, I dont believe I would have thought of the blacksmith for something like tools kudos to you. Actually, we have a blacksmith right next to our office (only in a small town) Anyway, he made a custom tutuer for my boss daughter. Im thinking that I might have to come up with a design.

Eden, the pink color for your chairs is just the perfect choice for the sweet styling of them. It was worth the extra bucks. I have a couple from Ricks parents that really need painting. Ive not come up with a color yet.

Michelle

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

Denise, spectacular picture! Marty is one courageous man to be out in that! Nice that he is so trusted by his crew.

'bug, sorry Skylar is being such a pain for your DD. She's making the right decision-eat it or not-IMHO. No child has ever starved by missing a meal or two.

Candy, love that snow picture. As a kid I would have been thrilled to open a door to find that! Actually, I still think it would be fun. Funny about the spoon-guess I was skimming through too fast!

I agree about the durability of tools-and most everything else-these days. Even our plain old fireplace tools from my parents are sturdier than anything I could find today. Getting a blacksmith was inspired.

Interesting that many of us share light eyes. Mine are green, but sometimes seem hazel depending on what I wear. Of course, they are getting harder and harder to see as my upper lids are getting droopy. My eyes seem to be getting smaller and smaller. That is the only thing I would be tempted to change (not the only thing that could use changing, mind you-LOL).

I've been cooking a lot today-very unusual! I have a pork roast about to come out of the oven and chili on the stove for tomorrow. Very confusing melange of aromas.

Well, the pork was okay. Not great, but DH liked it, so that's good. I am watching the ice skating now. Used to skate and know some of the coaches and one of the athletes, so that makes it fun.

Hope everyone is tucked in and warm.

• Lara Noles
    14 years ago

Drema, they're all my favorites, lol. Was it Art Hodes maybe? Scroll down the link about half way and there are some pictures of it.

• veronicastrum
    14 years ago

Drema, I haven't seen the movie, but some of our group who had said the movie was true to the play but that the play was better. Better voices, for sure!

Michelle, how touching about the tributes to Rick's uncle. A few years ago I took my son and his friend to the visitation for one of their English teachers who unfortunately had a sudden heart attack just weeks after he retired. The couple had been friends with my in-laws and had come to our wedding. I had not realized until that afternoon what a positive impact the teacher had made on my son.

This past week was the major trade show for our area, and I gave a talk on new perennials as part of the education program. I was quite excited to have a full house of close to 100 people for the session and a lot of favorable response. I'm beginning to find out that the program was "noticed" and I'm hoping this leads to more opportunities.

And after all this time of setting up my own equipment for a PowerPoint presentation, I have to say that it feels like the ultimate luxury to have not one but TWO techs doing all the equipment set-up for me.

Brown eyes here and no Carnegie libraries that I am aware of in the area. My DH has blue eyes and my DD has blue-gray eyes. DS follows me with brown eyes.

'bug, unfortunately I suspect that much of Skylar's problems are due to a lack of consistency between homes, and there is not much that one side can do without the other's cooperation. And it does seem like the other side is unwilling to work towards Skylar's common good.

I just finished reading "The Elegance of the Hedgehog" by Muriel Barbery and really enjoyed the book. Very different from much of what is out there today, but very, very good. Now to decide what to read next! (Lots in the stack)

Better get to bed!

• chelone
    14 years ago

A frosty morning here, ladies (single numbers which is cold for us). The Salon was 63 degrees when I went out to fill the stove earlier this morning. There were plenty of coals in to rekindle the fire and I was well pleased with the fullness of a nearly 10 hr. burn. Praise be well seasoned splits!

I watched the skating, too, Cyn.. My favorite has always been the ice dancing. It makes me sort of sad that it's the only division that retains anything similar to "school figures" and also that they never show the compulsory dances or really explain the rules regarding lifts (compared to the pairs competition) or the finer points of the competition; what to look for, etc.. Oh well, just one more example of "dumbing down", I guess. But it was pretty.

Drema, I'll bet you were mad about the gnawn cable. I am quite certain you beat her thoroughly for the transgression, yes? are you sure it's a puppy and not a beaver kit? ;) I once knew a cat who had a thing about chewing electrical cords and lost his top lip because of it! He was a funny looking thing named (you guessed it), Fang, because his incisors looked extra long as a resut of the missing lip. Lol.

I can think of no finer tribute to a life's work than the praise of students. I have a friend who was my HS english teacher and he's a great guy. There were several books that were "banned" in the podunk, jerkwater school I attended, but they were books frequently assigned by private schools. Every summer he gave me a list, said nothing, just put the list on my desk. He made those 4 miserable years considerably more than just tolerable. Bravo!

Today is my day to sort and do laundry so I'd best "get at it".

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Mornin' all!

Company still here so I'm grabbing a minute before starting breakfast for the troops.

I thank you all for comments re Skyler. I know I was venting because of the frustration of the situation, but still comments are very much appreciated. I really care about this little boy and his future, also his impact on the other children in his family! In my heart I want myself to believe that V is right, that "a lack of consistency between homes" is the problem. But I also know that kids are masters of dealing with two households..even playing one against the other. Yet, I know that this is only a part of the problem. Because of his early medical history, bad patterns were indeed begun, but also, I cannot neglect the fact that he DOES HAVE issues as a result of his first three years of surgeries and tube feeding. Issues that have set him way behind others and that no one knows if he will surmount. It is scary stuff. Though I want with all my heart to believe he is completely in the normal range, I am being forced to take a second look. He truly is not aware that he is not the center of the world, and that egocentricity is beginning to work against him at times. He is not aware of those around him and how they behave in different situations. He does not remember rules and works and works at manipulation to do what he pleases. It is possible that he may begin to learn these things years after others, but we do not know. So if I vent in the future, it is a reflection of the pain we all feel for what this child is going through. Yes, it is easy for me to want to slap him in the face at times, or introduce spanking to catch his attention, but I believe that would set us many steps back. If and when something shows signs of working...I'll let you know.

'bug

• drema_dianne
    14 years ago

Eden, that is it!!! You are SO GOOD! Thank you. Did you get yours from that nursery? I haven't seen this plant around here. For some reason, I ended up with a lot of begonias last year. They grow really well in the conditions I have, which is very little sun for the most part. I always push the envelope, but I know we all do, lol.

Chelone, I really didn't beat the dog, because I felt like it was my responsibility to keep it out of her reach, knowing that she is teething, and it happened so fast, I didn't even see her with it. I was 1/2 inch away. I am going to try to get her to put her toys in the toy box, though. She seems very intelligent, so I think we can do it. Maggie is not the sharpest pencil in the box, but she is the sweetest. Never could teach her much. All she asks out of life is to sit with her paw on my foot:) She has shown new life since the puppy came though. I actually saw her leap the other day.

Cyn, I watched a little of the skating too, yesterday. I just love it, but I think I liked it better years ago when it was more like dancing and less acrobatic. I like the acrobatic parts when it is an individual skater, I love the smooth graceful movements better in ice dancing. I remember one Russian couple in particular that just took my breath away, can't remember their names, but it was back when the costumes were flowy. Probably the 80's. It has really changed. Remember Peggy Fleming, how slow she skated? I saw her once in the Ice Capades when we lived in Pittsburgh.

I have to go to Lowe's with Skip. My dishwasher needs a new electrical box or whatever you call it. It keeps shutting down, and the little fixes aren't working. Can't play my music and wash dishes at the same time. Or make coffee, etc. I am going along because I have an agenda:)

TTYL
    D.

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ah, the secret shopping agenda is a fine tradition Drema ! I wish you success in the endeavor.

V, I watched the film version of Mama Mia last summer..very light entertainment but the scenery..ooo la la ! It was painful to watch Pierce Brosnon sing (or attempt to sing I should say) I dont know what they were thinking casting him in that part .

Not much too add this morning , going to take a brisk little walk around the neighborhood before the next rainstorm arrives

Later friends !

Kathy in Napa

• gardeningmary
    14 years ago

Hello Idylls

A few views from this morning. I was missing some kitchen items and when I checked Clousseau's crate found it as messy as some of our other family members' bedrooms. Not as expensive as Drema's pups wayward behaviour but perhaps I should still call Chelone.
    {{gwi:147615}}

The feathered ladies enjoyed the snow melting to expose dirt to scratch in. Here are the flock enjoying the warmer weather.

{{gwi:147616}}

I needle felted a little mouse for a knitting friend. Excuse the hair that somehow found its way into the photo.
    .{{gwi:147617}}

Last night DH and I saw "Up in the Air" (not to be confused with Up) which was excellent. Right now I am needed to drive to the airport:0(

Mary

• saucydog
    14 years ago

I've been wanting to see Up In The Air, Mary! If I miss it at the theater, I guess I can always catch it with Netflix.

Clouseau's crate resembles Zeus's bed...especially if I forget to put the trash up high (it has a stool to sit on). Zeus always looks like he has a hangover on those mornings after :)

I got the front porch cleaned off...litter box completely emptied and scrubbed....SunnyD's chairs packed in the truck (borrowed for Christmas party). Now I think I'll fill the bird feeders, drive and unload the chairs and then shower all the filth off of me....relax the afternoon away unless Sarah talks me into visiting the Ecotarium in Worcester.

I am enjoying everyone's posts and pictures. I think a small group is going to Logee's on Feb 13th if anyone within a short ride wants to go. I think I've decided to attend the CT Hort society's Spring Symposium. Their hort society does so much more than ours (or at least it seems that way).

I'm really starting to think about my next project...winter is wearing me down and I'm starting to get antsy about spring...and I'd like to have something fun to put in the garden when it gets here!

Talk to you all later.

Saucy

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

Morning all. It is cold and drippy outside. the heavy rains are due later and into tomorrow.

Chelone and Drema, re: skating-that is so funny-I said the exact thing to my husband after watching the ice dancing. As one who grew up having to do school figures and the patterned dances, the compulseries are my favorite part. I really feel I can get a better handle on the team's skills watching those. I was so disappointed that Brent Bommetre and Kim Navarro didn't make it. He coached my older sister for a number of years and I just adore him. Sis is on the autism spectrum and has some other issues as well. At 19, Brent was so kind and patient with her and he really understood that moving her away from PA would end her skating since no other place would accept and encourage her at age 59. Most people just think she is weird. Sadly, my mother did move and Barbara no longer skates. I have not met many people like Brent.

I also get tired of the ladies who can't seem to display decent posture. The difference between Sasha Cohen and Rachael Flatt is huge. I was hoping Nagasu would win the gold. Can't stand hunched shoulders and reliance mostly on jumping skills. I like a combination of skills. It is funny to watch Peggy Fleming now. So different.

'bug, sounds like Skylar is pretty lucky to have you and DD on his side. Sounds like he will need direct instruction and role-playing to help those social/interpersonal skills. It is so hard. I think parents always feel a little guilt when a child has a disability and sometimes there is a tendency to spoil or let the kiddo get away with more than we might with a so-called normal child. Limits and structure are good things!

Can't wait to hear what you came home with from Lowes,Drema!

V, congrats on your successful speech! Very exciting to have a packed house and get kudos after!

Kathy, try to stay dry-sounds like it is a mess out there.

Off to join Chelone in the laundry room...I'm hoping I will find the laundry fairy has come and gone, but suspect not.

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

I'm the laundry fairy here, but I'm waiting until after our late lunch.

Our friends were great guests, enjoying food, dog, fireplace, etc. They worked around DH's lack of conversation magnificently, the males going upstairs to play on the computer and the ladies talking about Skyler's issues. My friend is a psychologist for the school board, about to retire NEXT WEEK. She conducts all sorts of workshops for teachers, parents, and kids too, so just who I needed to talk to these days! She has a DVD for me to share with my daughter (and I hope DSIL who learns visually).

There is rain here today, on top of snow. I hate to think what our laneway will be like this week once it freezes over.

Mary, the knit mouse is just so sweet! I have seen clear Christmas tree balls with similar knitting inside, no doubt with toothpicks used for needles.

I hope to have some good reading and knitting time as the machine does the washing this afternoon.

Hi Woody!!!!!
    :)
    'bug

• chelone
    14 years ago

Looking at Clousseau's crate I was thinking to myself how interesting it would be to get inside his pea brain to find out what the motivation behind the stash was. Animals never cease to fascinate and amaze me. And Drema, a baby is a baby is a baby, huh? If there is trouble within a mile and you give them a second they'll find it!

I was hoping Miss Nagasu would take the title, too, Cyn.. But I was also left wondering how much physical conformation has to do with the finer points of posture. While there is no doubt that it requires practice and attention to detail to put the final "polish" on posture certain body proportions lend themselves more easily to an elegant tableau. Few ballerinas are built like Mary Lou Retton! On the subject of compulsory figures; I also feel that the mastery of them probably contributes to graceful carriage and permits time to perfect a pleasing presentation of arms and hands, though I may be off the mark on this supposition. I feel the emphasis on jumps has greatly taken attention away from intricate footwork and SPINNING. I love fast, tight spins that don't "travel" very far from their centre point. I don't really like the spin that involves holding the leg in front of the body, either. While it certainly demonstates flexibility I find the overall line unattractively awkward. Nor am I particularly fond of the Bielmann spin. The emphasis on jumps has also weighted competitions in favor of the very young athletes. And I think the sport has suffered because of it. Wouldn't it be fun if they had a division for an older age bracket, where maturity and practice put more attention on the fundamentals from which "figure" skating derived its name? What fun to have someone in our midst who has skated and can give us a skater's perspective. And I am saddned that your sister no longer skates; for those who struggle an outlet that demands attention and practice can be a refuge and losing it can leave a void not easily filled. :(

Almost time to empty the washing machine.

Your DD is in a horrible position, 'bug. She has to deal with a spoiled brat and all the attendant tantrums yet has less than 50% of the "control" over changing any of it. But I have to wonder at what point Skyler's tough start in life becomes "the hand he's been dealt" and ceases to become the excuse/reason for being an obnoxious, selfish child that is a pain in everyone else's ass. NO kid has a perfect life. If anyone can get this message across to him it will be your daughter. And I'll bet it will be with a zero tolerance policy, too. This must suck so much energy out of their lives on a daily basis. So sad. But they have to keep on trying because:
    1.) it's their "job" as parents.
    2.) they love him and he deserves to be loved by them.
    3.) and if they don't he'll surely fail.

Good thing we have dogs to kick, and flowers to make us smile, huh?

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Aha! But remember Chelone, DD knows how to work her DH. Hehehehe. He's making great progress! I suspect big changes are in the offing: less electronics, friends at THEIR house only (for a while), and more. DD has instituted some interesting changes as far as dealing with his sister too. So...