Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenbug_gw

#350-Ode to January

gardenbug
16 years ago

Came across this quote today-

by January the thought of making merry brings an inward groan: "do I have to have any more fun?"

Well I like Wikipedia, although I still keep several old encyclopedias around. Wiki tells us about January:

January is named for Janus (Ianuarius), the god of the doorway; the name has its beginnings in Roman mythology, where the Latin word for door (ianua) comes from - January is the door to the year.

Tells us lots more too. :) Only a few more days left before February's turn. People on a cooking forum are eagerly anticipating baking with heart shapes...

First though, we need to close the door on Janus.

'bug

PS: And for the child in me:

In January it's so nice

While slipping on the sliding ice

To sip hot chicken soup with rice.

Sipping once

Sipping twice

Sipping chicken soup with rice.

Here is a link that might be useful: January

Comments (103)

• dodgerdudette
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Yet another day spent with the blue tape, drop cloths , brushes and rollers. I finished priming the ever-evolving upstairs master bathroom, and tomorrow I hope to put on the first coat .Next week Im taking Thursday and Friday off to hopefully get DSs bedroom painted and some other rooms cleaned up and in shape for my realtor to be able to take some interior photos. It was suppose to rain all day today but the storm turned South and we had overcast and a bit of wind instead.

Think I ll make potato leek for the photo-op. What a challenge it will be to make a bowl of white soup look interesting !

Missy looks all grown up ! Shes so pretty , bet its pretty easy for her to pull a fast one and then beg for forgiveness. It sounds as though youve been diligent in your training regimen . The marble top buffet is lovely I love the curved front. Very nice vignette with the flowers and mirror. Good vibes out to DH and his job search.

Chelone, I hear the wheels of progress turning on the Salon.. maybe your DH and BIL need to so a little side work in the electrical game-they seem to have left the real electrician in the dust.
    Your Mum and I shared a fave mystery writer, Josephine Tey. She wrote so few books , but all excellent. Maybe its time for a re-read of a couple of those. I never could get into James Michener , and I tried numerous times believe me. I cant even count the number of times I started reading The Source , and abandoned it . Maybe I should give it one more try !

Lol Mary ! My undies are way to utilitarian to be made into anything ..

Cynthia, I saw a pic in a garden magazine once of an edging for a bed made from glass bottles turned end up with the neck buried in the soil. They were assorted colors as I recall. It looked pretty cool, but youd need an awful lot of them to do it unless you mixed in another item of some sort.

Saucy, what kind of stories do you like to read ? Im sure we can come up with some suggestions for you.

The late great fence, 1st photo as viewn towards my neighbors house, 2nd photo my yard on the left, neighbors on the right.

{{gwi:147749}}

{{gwi:147750}}

Ok, Im going to try to make some dinner and maybe watch a movie.

Catch yall later

Kathy in Napa

• chelone
    16 years ago

Suffice it to say I'm somewhat less than thrilled with the SNOW falling outside my window right now. :( Never one to "blow a gasket" I'll wait until the local Sunday news team gets up (6 AM) and gives me the official lowdown. I was planning to swing by my brother's home for a quick visit before moseying on down to Tower Hill. I have a couple of "Important Tax Information" things for Mum and also a rebate check from AARP. He will howl when he sees it's for a whopping .50. ;)

I'm looking forward to seeing him, he's funny. I know he'll be able to help me out with my idea for a "modular" cutting table; one with sections on wheels that can be reconfigured in a variety of ways to maximize tabling around multiple machines. He'll know precisely where to locate the sturdy legs and wheels with locks.

Wow, Kathy that musta been some big blow, though once sufficiently weakened I'm sure it didn't take too much to topple the fence. Couldn't have happened at more convenient time, huh? Good luck with the painting today. I'll have my turn at that exercise in the not too distant future.

Mary, I cracked up at the undie headband. I can clearly see that it will be hit of next Idyll-union. :) Nice that you talk went went well and a long-lost friend dropped in to say hi. It's always fun when that happens.

The arrival of dead rodents on the deck yesterday reminded me that there is activity out in the yard and that gardening season will inevitably return to the wilds of the compound. I actually looked at the DMZ next to the garage yesterday and began thinking of how to incorporate it into something attractive. Instead of looking daunting, it actually looked like fun. Nothing like some electrical work to change one's perspective, huh?

Time to change the channel... there's some really dumb show about some huge estate in Santa Barbara, CA that is so far from my reality I have no interest in even looking at it. Like "This Old House" on designer steroids.

• ctlavluvr
    16 years ago

Happy Sunday everyone! Directions for Tower Hill are printed with the true hope that the nastiest part of an Atlantic storm stays very east. I'm so looking forward to some greenhouse time with the Idylls! I'm also hoping tht the weather will let me poke just a bit in the gardens to look at bones and plant spacing. Rich is suggesting Valium with my coffee. LOL

I'm so glad everyone's house projects are moving forward. Nothing like "making it hot", eh Chelone????

Had you planned to replace the fence, Kathy? I like what you've done with your slab.

The gift is perfect for that spot, Honey. Stone tops are a fav, but I've yet to find a piece with a top and bottom I like all together. I really like yours!

Hoping Deanne and Doug are mending well. I think I would've just called 911 if Rich was wedged in the bathroom. All that container lifting and exercising paid off!.

The seed lists are in the "narrow it down" phase and I'll post a list of final selections if anyone would like anything sent. One that is a definite will be Lisianthus. I've tried growing it for years and haven't gotten the knack, but will try again. Paying $4.99 for one plant of it just seems ridiculous. It can't be that hard, right??

Off to the shower and one last cuppa. Later, everyone!

Martie

• saucydog
    16 years ago

A surprise to wake to a dusting of snow! A skift as I have learned! I have not looked at the weather recently - guess I'd better check and see what's up :)

Another fire in town last night reminds me to answer PM's question: Nick is a call firefighter.....he goes when there is an alarm called, no one sits at the station. Anyway, the family was fine again, but I can't help but think that this is a harsh time of year in so many ways. I guess winter is also the catalyst to so many fires....

Kathy, I guess what I was eluding to is that I'll read anything. I think I'll just start taking notes on the books mentioned here :) I do know that Oprah and I have very different tastes, but (don't you dare tell - he hasn't noticed her name on all his books yet) Nick enjoys all of her "self help" selections :) Funny, they seem to act as a sleeping potion.....

Honey, as an internet recruiter I used the state database all the time and also found that people were surprised. It's a nice resource because it's free for employers to use. I had a recruiter in CA setting me up for an interview here last winter (until we decided to start up this business)....it was a little tiresome with the time change and all....more fingers crossed in the Saucy household.

Well, I guess I'm gonna get moving. Jake is in Maine with his Poppy riding a snowmobile, but Sarah will be home at 11 for "Daddy and Sarah Day" - I think they're going to go bowling.....my bets on Sarah to win.

Have a good day all!

Saucy

• chelone
    16 years ago

I dunno you guys... we have nearly 3" of snow and it's still coming down. My road is still snowcovered and I know it's going to be some greasy going. I wouldn't miss work for it, but I'm not really sure I feel like spending an hour and half driving in it. It's lookin' like I'll be sitting this "get-together" out. :(

• ctlavluvr
    16 years ago

Drat, drat, doubledrat, Chelone. I have some cuttings of easy houseplants for you. The good thing for you is they'll be really rooted by the time you get them, now.

Stay warm!!

Martie

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

Martie, you know Lisianthus needs heat and light to germ right? Surface sow, 75 to 80F (heat pad or heat from fluorescents should get you there) and should germ in a couple of weeks.

Wondering how Deanne & Doug are doing and if all the hot soup should be going to Nausea NH.

Honey, Missy is striking! And your new sideboard is pretty nice looking too :)

Kathy, keep looking forward, eyes on the prize.

I like the idea of a bird house in an arbor PM. And it's a very cute birdhouse, is it handmade?

Mary, your garden talk sounds like it was fun for you, and surely a nice mid winter treat for the attendees. I'd love to go to something like that at this time of year! I may have missed the topic? I haven't started any seeds yet this year, and quite proud, as I really want to focus on removal - not additions- this year. But I know I'll have to start some of the necessary annuals in a month, (necessary for the garden and necessary to get me through February). Maybe I'm spend an hour in the cellar today cleaning up the tables and dusting or changing the bulbs.

Waving to all, and hope the Tower Hill trek is fun for all the new England Idyllers who can make it. Thinking of Cindy & Chloe :)

• deanneart
    16 years ago

Good morning,

Still coughing etc. here but I think we might survive. This was one bear of a virus and I dont wish this on anyone else. Doug in particular is feeling better this morning and his color is better. Im so bummed out Im going to miss the Tower Hill jaunt, I was really looking forward to it. Oh well, even if I felt well enough to go I wouldnt risk spreading these germs around. But Im sure there will be lots more Idyll events to go to in 08.

Mary, so glad to hear your talk went so well. Thats terrific, and especially nice that your old friend stopped by. ~~ So now the next time I see you, youll be wearing a lime green headband???!!! And you do realize that Ill probably PIMP laughing so hard.

Honey, LOVE that new bar and mirror! Gorgeous and that arrangement on it is perfect. Wow, Misty is a beautiful dog! What a pretty girl.

Kathy, sorry about your fence! That weather sounds awful. I was watching the weather channel this morning and it looks like there is still more bad weather on its way. Stay safe!

RE soup pics, I made soup for us yesterday but forgot to take the pictures! Whoops.

Chelone, thanks very much for your continued good wishes for our recovery. You cheered me up immensely.

Cindy, sending more hugs your way for the mess you are dealing with.

PM2 that painting is spectacular! I just love the light and atmosphere in it. ~~ Love your birdhouse.

Martie, I was on the verge of dialing 911 for help. If he hadnt regained consciousness as soon as he did Id have run for the phone. I was afraid of letting go of his torso though, as I thought he might fall over and hit his head. It was quite a dilemma.

Cynthia, all is getting better in Nausea, NH Thanks for asking. I LOL when I read your spelling. Only someone from around here would know that nickname for our fair city. And, yes, I had that same thought about all the impending soup making. Id love to have buckets of hot soup descend on us.

Chelone, heres one for you Notice his crest is up
    {{gwi:147751}}

Have a great day all and Im looking forward to hearing details of the Tower Hill trip.

Deanne

• chelone
    16 years ago

Oh how cute is that little guy?! love the bright eyes, the inquisitive crest, and the delicate coloring. Just precious.

I'm bummin', I really wanted to get to Tower Hill, too, Deanne. I hope they put up some pictures. Maybe we could get together before the TYNAW paHty. Good to know you're turning the corner with respect to illness.

Helpmeet is diligently installing outlets in the garage bays as I type. Tomorrow he will pick up the breakers and the outlets for the two TVSS outlets that will be in the Salon. He had a rather involved discussion with my brother this morning about precisely what he needed to buy to complete the installation.

Well... back to the adventures of Catherine de' Medici. It always amazes how different people gravitate to different authors and types of writing. I LOVED Michener, Kathy, but your inability to "get into" his books exactly echoes my own feelings about JRR Tolkien. I struggled similarly with "A Prayer For Owen Meany"... still haven't gotten more than 60 pages into it, all these years later. Funny how that works, huh? I've been casting an eye about for a something that Saucy might enjoy... wondered about "Seabiscuit" by Laura Hillenbrand or "Jurassic Park" (which I thought one of the creepiest books I've ever read, but I couldn't put it down!).

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

For all you bird people, here's today's puzzler from NPR. It's on Sunday mornings here and I try to catch it, just cause it's word fun.

"Rearrange the letters in Egret, Crane, Owl, to form the names of three other birds."

It's an easy one, shouldn't take long, and no you can't reuse any of the letters.

• deanneart
    16 years ago

Hi again,

Thanks Chelone! So glad to hear you like my little TT pic. Here is another that I thought quite funny. When you get a pic of these guys with their crests up from head on they look like they have a dunce cap on. LOL
    {{gwi:147752}}

Anyway I was thinking of moseying over to the coast sometime in the near future to do some shore bird photography maybe we can meet up then. I'll let you know when I plan to come east.

Deanne

• chelone
    16 years ago

With a diaphanous veil atop the crest it could also be one of those Medieval lady's caps... ;)

Do gimme a shout when you think you might be over this way.

• denisez10
    16 years ago

tern, eagle, crow! I need all the mental gymnastics I can get, lol. Had the all-too-familiar full stop stare at a potted plant today, no name forthcoming, so compulsively named all the surrounding plants then googled the stranger via search string "woody lilies": dasylirion. I'd feel a lot worse if I hadn't attended a lecture by Dan Hinkley years ago, when he had that full stop trying to recover a name. I finally shouted out "loropetalum" to break the tension, he thanked me and moved on.

So sorry to hear the Tower Hill gang will be missing a few. I've been declaring that this year I intend to get to the San Francisco garden show in March, no fooling around. Whatever it takes. A very nice, talented, helpful designer, Michelle Derviss, will have an exhibit and I mean to see it.

Deanne, are you spending time in the bird blind in your condition!? The photos are wondrous and thank goodness you and Doug are on the mend.

Chelone, re the tables on wheels, that's Marty's m.o. but exactly. He built his shed on wheels, a rather large structure that we wheel around the driveway to accommodate projects, extra cars, etc. I had serious doubts but it came off beautifully. Wheels are good.

Honey, Missy is growing up beautifully. The entryway buffet is a great addition. What will you stock it with? Does it keep the vodka ice cold ;>

Kathy, our fence did that trick a few years back, and in one gust the carefully built illusion of privacy is shattered. There's my neighbor in his wifebeater taking out the trash: Top of the morning to you! That fence was rebuilt chop-chop, in short order.

Saucy, it'll be a fun challenge to find something you'd love to read. What books have made a strong impression before?

What I remember of lisianthus was the light and heat requirements, teeny-tiny seeds, and incredibly slow growth. $4.95 well spent IMHO. And my attempts at sowing was 20 years ago, when Thompson-Morgan trumpeted it as the find of the century. Now there's so many more ruffles, colors to try, but I never do. At nurseries it strikes me that its habit of growth has been bred into a bedding plant. Wonder what the Texas native looks like? Anybody buy seeds from Chiltern's? Now there's a dreamy catalogue. And that purveyor of seeds Hudson's...

For the soup challenge, I was thinking of opening a can of pozole. That'll knock out any lurking flu bugs but not very photogenic. Sunday greetings to all.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    16 years ago

Sunday morning...what happened? I didn't realize we were supposed to get so much SNOW!! Really too bad that it's putting a monkey wrench in the Tower Hill plans. How disappointing, I am sure! The forecast for the week, looks a mess, too. Snow almost every day except two. :-( I wonder if we will really get that much. Martie, Saucy, and all who are making the trip to Tower Hill...hope you have a great day! I can imagine lunch at the Twig Cafe in front of the fireplace with snow falling will be a wonderful experience. :-) Looking forward to story with photos.

Deanne...Well, gee, things were sounding pretty dire there in NH. I would have found the situation with DH passing out so frightening. You did well to keep your head. [and his..lol] SO glad you are starting to feel better. Might take awhile to really get back on your feet, you think? Will UPS take a bucket of soup? [g] I have a great chicken soup recipe that was my Mom's. Chicken soup is supposed to be as good as penicillin. :-)

We are making chili later today and I feel the same way about how that will look in a photo as Kathy feels about the potato leek soup. [g] But it is a good low fat, healthy version of chili, so we will do our best with the presentation.

My Bird House....for those who asked, is unfortunately not home made. I wish. [g] It is made by a company that was called Country Nests. According to the place I bought it, they have changed their name to Le Petite Chalet. I looked up their website to offer a link, but to tell you the truth, they don't seem to offer the variety of boxes that they used to. They seem to have changed their product line and it doesn't appear that they are even made with the same materials. Mine has real cedar shingles on the roof. I will add the link below anyway, but, if you google Country Nests, there appear to be a lot of their old style boxes and styles around. They do have fieldstone houses that were gorgeous but pretty expensive. I bought mine one of the few times I saw them on sale at a local nursery.

Cynthia, during the summer, you could barely see the birdhouse, with the honeysuckle growing around it. Bet the chickadees like it that way.

Saucy...So if DH is a call firefighter, he is not a volunteer, correct? Has it always been that way or is this a cost cutting effort in the community? If they are not at the station, are there firemen that do stay at the station? Yes, I guess when I think about it, with the amount of space heaters people use, that winter could be a busy season. I am glad the family was alright. Which reminds me, I keep meaning to review my insurance policies and get together some important belongings in the house, that I would take out with me in an emergency, but never quite get there. Really need to get on the ball with that.

Two of my grown kids are heading out to ice skate today, which pleases me. A day off from football with the Patriots not playing until next weekend.

I am indoors today, watching the snow fall. I recorded a special on TV last night, honoring Smokey Robinson that I just had a chance to watch. Anita Baker sang one of his songs and was amazing. I am so glad she is singing well again. I wish I would hear more from her. Smokey still sounds and looks amazing!

Kathy...you seem to be such a calm person. I would be pulling my hair out, trying to get the house on the market and dealing with painters and now a fence down...lol. I hope the fence can be repaired without too much extra cost.

Mary...that link was actually very interesting. To my surprise! I almost didn't even click it...lol. It reminded me of how you can make nice rag rugs out of old strips of fabric too. I have been scratching my head trying to figure out how you happen to stumble upon that link though. [g]
    Any chance you could share any of the slides from your presentation with us?

Honey...I remember the puppy photo you posted of Missy and I thought she was one of the cutest puppies! Look at what a beautiful girl she is growing up to be!!

Well, no beautiful garage today, but thought you all might find this as interesting as I did. Pretty sure it is an actual photo from out in space.

{{gwi:147753}}

pm2

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    16 years ago

Something about that photo was bothering me. It is titled..

JLM-US_from_above_from_space.jpg

But I am looking at it and it is the right side of the photo that bothers me the most. I can't see how photos from space would show that ridge along the East Coast in the ocean. I've had it for awhile and I don't remember where I picked it up and I couldn't find any more info about it..so take it with a grain of salt. Not sure what else it could be, though?

pm2

• wendy2
    16 years ago

Tower Hill was worth the snowy trip - nothing like the sights and scents of a greenhouse this time of year.

{{gwi:147754}}

It was snowy outside, but the plants and the people inside were content

{{gwi:147755}}

This arrangement was so perfectly color-coorinated, it inspired Saucy to coin a new Idyll phrase - she called it a Deannescape (TM)

{{gwi:147757}}

We had a nice time, but we did miss you Chelone & Deanne! We'll definetly have to go back to Tower Hill again when we can get outside - Saucy tells us there is lots more to see.

• saucydog
    16 years ago

PM hit the nail on the head with lunch at the Twigs cafe, but she forgot to mention the piano.....the piano that needed to be played.....and our table that was too close.....so they moved us......and we got a free dessert :)

Nice pictures Wendy. To be sure Chelone and Deanne were missed.

Denise, I think I like American stories....does that make sense? The Whistling Season was the last book I read that I just couldn't put down. To Kill a Mockingbird is one of my favorites.

Chelone, maybe I'll give Seabiscuit a try.

Deanne, the TT is gorgeous! Thank you for sharing.

PM, no, no one is ever at the station full time. It's a volunteer or call department....though they do get paid for time worked (but it ain't much :)

TTYL,

Saucy

• Monique z6a CT
    16 years ago

We had a nice time today-it was good to get out, see some green, eat delicious food, & talk with friends.

{{gwi:147760}}

{{gwi:147762}}

{{gwi:147764}}

• ctlavluvr
    16 years ago

I still have a bit of Daphne pollen on my nose ....

What a great day. I'm glad in a way that I went to Tower Hill for the first time in the snow. One could get lost there!

Thanks for the pics, Monique and Wendy.

Waving hi to everyone! Missed you Deanne and Chelone ...

Martie

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh the colour!!!
    Glad you buddies got to enjoy the day together over good food.

• chloehoover
    16 years ago

Well, I sure am glad Verizon returned to get my FIOS back up -- what I've been missing out on! A lot --

From Disaster Gulch East -- how cool to see the posts from Honey and all her world wisdom -- and how truly sweet of you 'bug to email her. I think I've calmed down a bit on all the disaster and know I'll get thru it - painful and annoying.. and I may have to hire that lawyer (the ones in my firm are not "allowed" to do personal stuff; they're kind of weird in that dept; but they can probably give me some good local recommendations if it comes to that).

Well, I followed the leaders and did a lot of purging - put the new paper shredder to lots of use (Chloe eventually protested w/ barks that it was too much whining) but I thik I went thru the last 8 years worth of paper and it's been reduced to 2 large garbage bags shredded and 5 trash papers of papers unconfidential.... Purple Heart coming Weds so I've pulled together a worthy amount.

I love your bird photos, Deanne, and then the Tower Hill ones -- ooolala... arent the rest of us all jealous?!

Honey -- special thanks to you for your advice; I will hpe more good things happen to your DH and he gets the interview and job; sounds like it's working out okay for DD too -- glad to get that smuck out of her life NOW rather than 5 years from now - that's my philosophy and am glad she feels that way too. W/the asset stuff settled, she can put him behind her. What a frisky beauty Misty is! A snow dawg no less. I LOVE the buffet - we've missed seeing your wonderful creative interior design efforts here.

Ok, Mary -- undie-bands, uh, for the next Idyll union - what will you come up w/ next, LOL! I sure wish I were closer to hear your talk. I've never had much luck w/seeds...

Deanne, Im so glad you guys are feeling better; dont get too cocky yet - you have had more than enuf relapses/new bugs!

Im afraid my mind is shredded at the moment; Im having trouble remembering what all else I was anxious to comment on -- glad all this talk of water and mold didnt blacken everyone's moood, LOL.... sorry, couldnt resist.

O, I know - Denize -- what the heck - a shed on wheels? the powers of human ingenuity... is it a one man or two man push model?Hehehe.

Well, guess I better think about some dinner; Im worked out today and last week seems a blur (thank goodness) now..

-Cindy

• chelone
    16 years ago

I do regret not sucking it up and heading down, It was "a real winter's day" today. It spit snow all day long, the north/northeast wind is strong, definitely a day that uses up winshield washing liquid. We cleaned off the cars, cleaned up the driveway, and worked in the garage.

Great pictures, lol about "Deannescape" TM. That's good one, Saucy. So, what did you have for lunch? I had some nibbles from the 'fridge while seated near the woodstove. The cats and Wrecks aren't nearly the conversationalists you guys are. I listened to The National Swing Band of Texas with Curtis Potter "up front" and remarked to the helpmeet that we need to get dancing again. (Marian, if you don't know Curtis Potter, you'd probably really like him... ditto Kathy).

I managed to lose myself in a British stencil website (among others) for a good long time today. I recognized several of them and then fished out one of my books on classical ornamentation. Sure enough! there they were. Truly, there "is nothing new under the sun". But I have a long way to go before it's time to get busy with stencils!

I also managed to lose myself in French Court and the growing religious division within the country and the Protestant schism with the Papacy. If ever there was a reason for the seperation of church and state the mid 16th. century demonstrates it clearly. So, in all, it was a good way to spend the day.

Cindy, I'm glad the immediate panic over the flood has subsided and you've got a plan sort of underway. A cool, level head is ultimately going to prevail when dealing with insurance companies, owner's associations, and neighbors. I see we serve a useful function as "sounding board". That's a good thing.

I realized today that I have to renew my driver's license very soon... can't believe it's been nearly 6 years!

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm caught up with my reading here. :)
    I LOVE 8 month old Miss Congeniality!!! Oh I can't wait....
    Glad that you are seeing your situation with some perspective now Cindy. I so agree about Honey's DD. Very happy that she can move forward!

I'm off to scrub the huge dog crate we collected from friends today. A yucky job...but for a FINE purpose.
    'bug

• deanneart
    16 years ago

OK you guys! Rub it in, rub it in!!! Wahhhhh... .I'm so sad I couldn't go but thanks so much for the pics! Gorgeous, green, tropical looking surroundings. Execpt for the snow outside of course. LOL Deannescape... te he...

So yes I've been out in my blind but it really is very warm out there with my little heater on. One of the few things I can stand to sit still for is my bird photography.

Here are a couple pics from today.

Carolina Wren
    {{gwi:147767}}

Song Sparrow
    {{gwi:147769}}

Nite all
    Deanne

• dodgerdudette
    16 years ago

A thought for the day..there is something to be said for paying someone to paint your bathroom. I am anxiously awaiting the definitive moment when the need for a second coat will be confirmed or denied. I fear the worst. I was going to make a run to Trader Joes after painting but to hell with that, its 4pm , its raining and Im going to have a beer and Idyll for awhile. Beer of the day, Great White from Lost Coast Brewery in Eureka.

I did manage to pay my first visit to our newly opened Whole Foods this morning they opened last weekend and I have purposely stayed away. 8am on a Sunday morning is an ideal time-very quiet. What a nice store they are a bit high but there were some nice sales and the produce is beautiful. I bought organic potatoes and leeks for the soup-a-thon. They also play superior music to the other stores in town. So Ive been waiting for years for a Whole Foods to open here and now Im leaving !

Chelone and I would have been simpatico today were I settled in my new town; DD called this morning to say it had been snowing for several hours in Eugene which is about 40 miles south of Corvallis. How regrettable that it kept you from joining fellow Idyllers at Tower Hill. Gonna check out Curtis Potter .

Saucy, good call on the DeanneScape thing- in fact there appeared to be multi-DeanneScapes . A book for you; Private Altars by Katherine Moseby , if you can find it (and if I spelled her lat name correctly. ) "Angle of Repose" , Wallace Stegner-and in fact anything by Wallace Stegner .

Denise, I go to the SF Garden show every year without fail. Napa County MGs always charter a bus for the Thursday date and we come back home with the luggage compartment full of our purchases . Wine is involved on the return trip. Frequent attendee tip: Pack a lunch, the food is not good and too expensive. If your visit date is Thur let me know we can synchronize our watches and have a west coast Idyll meeting !

PM, I have always tried to stay calm, it helps me get through things . Sometimes I am anxious inside though ! Even though I complained about painting the bathroom this weekend, this was a task that was very soothing in a way (not as soothing as gardening) and it made me feel that I was taking a step and moving things along. I listened to the radio , took my time, and tried not to feel the pressure to get it done.

I think your pic of North America has touched-up color in the ocean areas but not on the land. I think thats why the Atlantic looks odd to you.

Deanne, as usual the birdies are wonderful. Good news that you and DH are feeling better. You can save your strength for the annual nose-thumbing event.

Think Ill go read the Sunday paper for a bitbest to all

Kathy in Napa

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

Deane :) :) :) :)

I was regretting that you didn't go to Tower Hill, since you usually give us a good debrief include participant names and mouth watering descriptions of the food. But Wow those pics are amazing, so it's good you stayed home!

Wendy & Monique, thanks for the sharing the photos of TH! Soothing to look at them. I like the photo from Wendy with the little pot perched in a big pot. I do that in my little GH to make sure everyone gets sun. Reminds me that I went in there to water a few weeks ago and Euphorbia Diamond Frost had all branches chopped off and laying on the bench with the leaves stripped of. Wonder what critter visited and how it got in? Dirt floor and I have pots and stuff all over, so it was probably watching me the whole time. Didn't touch the agaves. Yet.

Denise, Hudson's seeds is a favorite read. And Chiltern's too. I order from both. Best selection and both are good airplane reads. Hudson entertaining and eccentric, and seeds are inexpensive and fresh. Now you'll have me ordering.

Cindy, you're fast with the shredding and sorting! It took me weeks to figure out what to ditch and shred. But then I tend to file creatively, so I have to go through things carefully. Glad your outlook is a bit better. How's Chloe doing?

Bug, have been meaning to mention - nail clipping. Get a dremel. Much easier, and smooth finish and less likely to hit the quick. To keep up to date on positive training, vaccination protocols, quality foods (and raw feeding), you might want to subscribe to Whole Dog Journal. Holistic magazine that takes no advertising. There's an article in February issue that made me think of you, I may have to send that along.

Ok, that's it for me. It's almost Monday already?

Cynthia

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    16 years ago

Well, well...lots to read here and I will have to wait until the morning. I just wanted to say that the photos of Tower Hill were a very welcome sight. I have never been to Tower Hill beyond their website, which was where we discovered the existence of Twigs. :-) I love that last photo! I really hope I can get out to see it soon...maybe in the spring.

I need some ideas...our computer is getting very close to needing to be replaced. Five years old, out of warranty and in the past few weeks a few issues showing up. Our daughter just got an Apple and I have had a chance to try it but the one thing about it that will drive me crazy is that it has no tracking ball and they force you to use the mousepad. I do have issues with my hands and arms and using that requires quite a bit more movement and I'm not sure I will be able to get used to it. It seems to have so much more to offer, I am really torn. I haven't even started looking to see what else is out there yet, but I thought I would see if anyone here could point me in a direction. Favorite computers?

Beautiful, beautiful birds, Deanne! :-)

pm2

• veronicastrum
    16 years ago

I still haven't read the thread, but thought I would update you all on the fire. The address that was in the original news story was down the street from friends of ours. Unfortunately, we found out on Friday that the address was wrong and it was indeed their house. We saw Ed and Luz today, and while they are very shaken, they are grateful that no one was hurt, and they are planning to rebuild.

Ed is a German immigrant whose retirement dream was to buy the farm out in the country and have a large, professional woodworking studio to spend his time in. He creates beautiful works of art and is incredibly generous with his creations, which are donated to many, many fundraising events around here. Shortly after he purchased the farm, his wife was diagnosed with terminal cancer. Ed decided that he needed someone to share his life with, and a couple of years ago proudly introduced his "mail order bride" Luz from the Phillipines. Luz is a wonderful woman.

They both said it was shocking to see how fast you can lose everything. Please say a prayer for them as they face this challenge.

And this evening my DD emailed to say that the fraternity two houses away from their house was hit by fire today. The house is uninhabitable and 15 boys have to find another place to live.

V.

• ctlavluvr
    16 years ago

Okay, Cynthia. This won't be as wonderful as Deanne's description, but here's a best shot:

Arrived in the midst of a good snow squall, just a few minutes after Sue and Monique who had retreated inside. Met Wendy in the parking lot, who had already reached Saucy inside. Saucy came out to meet us -- lots of hugs all around.

And then inside:

Not only was the Orangerie blooming away as shown in the pics, there was a floral arrangement show based on Chinese winter that was outstanding. Several different "takes" on the theme with lots of Peonies, Lisianthus, forced flowering twigs, etc. arranged in very simple yet striking arrangements.

Also many Camellia ready to pop into bloom. They'll be a "special" weekend there soon that I'm going to try and see when they come out. Because my "April Tryst" is surviving without any special care beyond keeping it in a cool darkish window, I'd like to find out how to really take care of it and see what happens :-)

Then to the Orangerie, where one is greeted by a huge (to me) Rosemary and one then gets the sense of "ahhhhhhhhhh." We all had favorites: Monique loved the pink combination, I loved the tall Rambler rose that was tagged "Louise Pierre" but googling isn't helping find it, Saucy found several things that Jake will be growing in a greenhouse someday :-); Sue compared her large tuber/bulb/rhizome plants to those there with the hope of figuring out how they keep the pots intact from expanding roots. Wendy clicked away and when she looked "up" realized another tour around was in order.

Then lunch:

Quiche with either spinach, tomato and provolone cheese, or sausage and cheese. A rich brown spicy soup and composed salad, the soup hosting a bit of white rice in the middle for a pop of white, pork loin wrap with pineapple/orange salsa and a lemon-infused dressing. Salad was mostly the carrot: shredded with chunks of raisin and pineapple bedded on white lettuce. I of course, had to try the garnish and will be learning to blanch lettuce this year.

Desserts: Lemon curd tart with lemon grass infused sauce and whipped cream; pound cake with tropical fruit topping; bread pudding .....

And piano music to boot :-)

What better way to spend a snowy day in January?

Thanks for the Lisianthus info! I've always used an underneath heat source but this year will add light.

You're right, Denise, $4.50 is a small price for a finicky annual, but for The Park I'll need at least 40 of them to have them make the impact I'm looking for :-) Ditto Wave petunias, zinnias (started outside), and a few other annuals to be culled from the list as "special." Other annuals will be downplayed a bit, used mostly in containers.

I miss my "good" containers, and after dividing they will be a focus of attention until done.

Enough about me here in New England.

I'm feeling for everyone's trials with weather, pipes, unsettled neighbors and it just being the end of January. Must say that changing out the regular big light bulb over the sink with a grow light bulb has made a difference.

Off and running.

Martie

• chelone
    16 years ago

Suffice it to say, nothing I consumed yesterday rivalled the menu so thoughtfully supplied by Martie. No pictures of the luncheon table?! you guys are slippin'.

V., I watched that video you linked with horror. What an inferno! do they have any idea how it started? I think your story is one of the saddest I've heard in some time. I simply can't imagine the shock and disbelief involved in watching all you own in the world go up in flames; something tells me that the relief of escaping it will be dulled a bit when the reality of it has had more time to "hit home". So, so sad.

I believe I can now safely purchase the ceiling paint, though I believe we will have to rent a torpedo heater until the furnace can be hooked up. Heat is the lynchpin for the work I have to do: can't apply the smooth "Structural Skin" to the face of the chimney without it, can't paint without it, etc.. We have not heard from the furnace guy, but he had to order the oil tank and we know they've been struggling with illness for a month/so. It's also been cold and emergency calls have been more common as many people are running out of oil and that carries a host of issues, as well.

I should get into the kitchen and get the dishes cleaned up, help with the trash consolidation, order up the paint, and get the broken shade to the woman I spoke with on Saturday.

Will chat more later on.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    16 years ago

V....So sorry to hear about your friends who lost their home from the fire. You must have been so shocked to find out whose house had burned down. If no one was hurt and they are able to rebuild, then I guess that is the best they could get out of the situation. Can only imagine how hard it is though.

{{gwi:147770}}
    Canon Beach, Oregon

Kathy....this photo is for you. You sound like you could use a little inspiration about now. :-) You are trying to do a lot and I hope everything will fall into place for you soon. Glad to hear you're still drinking your beer a day. lol I hope by the time baseball season starts, you will be settled in a new home in Oregon! Or at the very least, have some nibbles on your house. At any rate, you are going to have some perfect house to live in by the time you get finished while you are waiting!

Calm on the outside is sometimes the best you can do. :-) It really helps to find better solutions when you are clear headed at least. Which it sounds like you are. I used to always manage to stay calm at least on the outside, but then we went through a period where we were having too many crises constantly, one after the other after the other and I find now that I am more quickly rattled. But, I am trying to regain my old ability to stay calm and even go for the calm on the inside too. I just started making the attempt recently, so it is too soon to say if I am making any progress. [g]

Do they have Whole Foods near where you are moving? We had a local store called Bread & Circus that was one of the first health food supermarkets outside of Cambridge. It was in Newton and we had to drive 30 minutes there. This was about 15 years ago. About 10 years ago, Whole Foods bought them out. We had been shopping ocassionally at small shops in Cambridge. Then shopped weekly at Bread and Circus once we found them. Now we have a new Whole Foods that opened last year that is 10 minutes away. I thought Whole Foods started out there in California, so I am surprised that you didn't have one near you. Yes, they are very high to me..lol. It costs us a fortune but I just couldn't do anything else.

Cynthia...sorry to hear you have a 'critter'...hope you can figure out how it is getting in. What a cool idea for the dog's nails. Is that what you use, a dremel? Does the dog mind the noise? Thanks for the reference to Whole Dog Journal. I wondered if they had a mag like that.

Martie....great job describing yesterday's trip. It really does sound like a nice day out. Glad you all had fun!

Denize...what is a can of pozole? [g]

Saucy....that book looks interesting. I always enjoy stories about homesteading and pioneers..prarie life. Channel 58, the Hallmark Channel has had a few movies on that subject. It was a series of them, whose name escape me at the moment. Looks like that author has a few more, have you read all of his? I am going to have to look for his books at the library. Thanks. :-)

Off to troubleshoot my computer, before it conks out on me all together...have a great day!

pm2

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    16 years ago

Deanne...I forget to say, I loved that photo of the TT where he is looking directly in the camera. It cracked me up! I had a thought...I am wondering if you take to naming the birds?

pm2

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    16 years ago

One more thing...someone sent me a link to this neat game that I got hooked on. My geography has never been that good and this game has helped me know where all the states are better. Plus it is fun...thought it might go with yesterday's map. My last post today, I promise..lol

:-)

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Cynthia, Thanks so much for The Whole Dog Journal info. :) I'm looking forward to meeting the pups next weekend for a socialization day. We pick ours up on the 16th. In the meantime, we collected a crate and playpen from friends yesterday and I spent the evening scrubbing them.

We had guests over the weekend and I cooked up a roast chicken recipe that you all should try! Simple and fabulous. The key ingredient was fresh rosemary. The recipe includes roasted vegetables and I substituted parsnips for turnips because we all enjoy them. YUM. See below. This morning I am making chicken soup and will add noodles later.

I loved this photo so...I just have to share it!
    {{gwi:147772}}

Thinking of lighting in the salon. Certain things like paint, curtains (or lack thereof) and rugs make a huge difference in the ambiance of a room. Lighting is one of the hardest. There sure are some ugly light fixtures out there... Can't wait for photos Chelone!

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago

Things have warmed up here, but tomorrow is predicted to be nasty. Cold, windy and maybe snow. I have an appointment in the city, which is 70 miles away. We will have to see.

PM2, the state game is fun and would be great for kids. We have one of those Leap Frog globes where you have to locate all kinds of countries and cities. DH got it on clearance for something fun and educational for the gkids, but I have learned lots from it. The Garage picture is totally cool.

V, thats awful about the fire.

Tower Hill must have been a little bit of paradise in the midst of winter.

Kathy, I actually dont mind painting. I went to town Sat. and picked up paint for the guestroom walls and furniture. I hope to also paint the laundry room this winter. Gardening would be more fun though ;o)

Honey, both the dog and the buffet are lovely.

Deanne, I hope you both are on the mend. I had a similar experience with DH a couple of years ago. He fainted after showering. Wet and slippery and a small area. He had just had surgery on his neck, but I was concerned he was having a heart attack. I said I was calling 911. That seemed to revive him ;o)

Im sure Ive missed lots but really must get back to work.

Michelle

• chelone
    16 years ago

OMG, the gulf of difference between what I DID 20 yrs. ago and what I'm WILLING to do today is huge. I began painting the ceiling in the Salon today. I COULD have finished the entire first coat today, but I decided... --ck it! it will be there tomorrow and I have nothing to "prove" by killing myself today. :)

I am not quite sure about the color. I selected the palest blue on the sample card but have reservations that it may be too dark. Too soon to "push the panic button", for sure, but the doubt lingers. I thought of Eden often and wonder how things are in her world... miss Bella shots and worry about her Mom. Yoo-hoo-oo?

Great shot 'bug... what sort of food stain is that at the coHnuh of his mouth? ;) I can hardly believe you're going to receive the "blessed bundle" in just over 2 weeks. Wonder what the kitties will think? So, SO exciting.

Very temperate here, actually. Not much melting from yesterday's snow removal efforts, and the ocean was BEAUTIFUL. Heavy surf from the off-shore storm and A LOT of seabird activity, Deanne. I thought of you, knowing you would just love it all.

I'm thinking about WHEELS, Denise. More specifically, adjustable metal legs with good wheels that pivot and have brakes. I need to mount 4'x8' surfaces on them and they have to be sturdy. Wheels ARE good! I'd hazard a bet I'd like your DH (even if he's a knucklehead about kitties).

Another oil bill today. $150-ish, in just under one month. It's been cold and that bill reflects hot water, as well. We've discussed using programmable thermostats to eliminate the "human error". I see oil only increasing in price and the investment as a worthy one. We will see how we like the one slated for installation in the Salon before conceding all human responsibility.

Polly had a big, fat vole today. She was apparently quite merciless in her pursuit of it. The helpmeet observed her acrobatics from the garage, and later confessed he was entranced by her athletic skill and overall zeal; both of which precluded him from intervening... GOOD KITTY, Pollycatgirlkin... kill that volie!

On that cheerful note, my friends, I'm off to follow some other cybertrail. ;)

• denisez10
    16 years ago

I'm just about done with the Gardens Illustrated that came in the mail today. If anyone wants it, email me at botanizeme@gmail.com with your address and I'll send it along, postage my treat. As a strange coincidence, there's a piece on a sculpture garden in India that immediately brought to mind the Watts Towers, and at the end of the article they mention five sites, including the Watts Towers, that share similarities, including Gaudi's park in Barcelona. Also a longish piece on Sissinghurst. These GI's, which are put out by the BBC, are too beautiful to throw out but there's got to be some thinning and pruning done around here.

Kathy, email me at above address with your cell phone and we can coordinate a flyby at the garden show. That'd be a treat.

• dodgerdudette
    16 years ago

Well Martie, that lunch sounds mighty fine and you performed your descriptive duties well !

PM, lovely shot of Canon Beach. I dont think Ive been there since the 70s. Its quite close to the Washington border. The nearest coastal community to me will be Newport. The Oregon coast is really beautiful (as is the Norcal coast) and Im excited about spending some time exploring it. The beer is only on the weekends ! Weeknights is a glass (or two)of wine. There is sadly no Whole Foods in Corvallis, but there are other options there, and one is being built in Eugene where DD lives. There are a lot of natural food type grocers in Oregon .

On painting ceilings, I painted the ceiling in my dinky downstairs bathroom a couple weeks ago and still have sore muscles. What a crappy task! I decided to not paint the ceiling in my master bathroom .

Yeah Michelle, gardening is more fun than painting ! My yard is a mud pit about now with all the rain weve had , so it will be a real challenge to continue to spruce it up for public viewing. I think mulch is the answer .

E-mail pending Denise; this Thursday I will have definitive confirmation of the day I will be at the showexpect a post then..

Ok , time for some dinner and a book

Kathy in Napa

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Gaudi's park in Barcelona. Exactly what I thought!

Made chocolate souffle for dessert tonight. Didn't rise much because my pan was too big for this new recipe, but it tasted fine with whipped cream.

I'm so impatient for the puppy....Time is dragging.

It was minus 46 at DD's place today. (Who cares if that's F or C!) Lots of trouble with phones not working, hospital scheduling, etc. She phoned here though and we had a fine chat! Freezing rain here tonight. DH is supposed to help friends move some furniture to their new house tomorrow. Hmmmmm, could be tricky in ice and rain.

Chelone, I think you know that colour changes depending on light, and many other things. In fact, you really can't tell until it is completed...IF THEN! I'm still not sure about our exterior. It looks so garish with only snow around. It will be different if we ever get flowers again.

Groundhog and his shadow time coming soon! That has to be more accurate than any forecast I've heard in months!
    zzzzzzzz
    'bug

• chloehoover
    16 years ago

I had a few minutes to enjoy that map too, PM2 - I confess most of the time I seemed to be off, luckily by a small distance; but a few I never got "exactly right", LOL...

Chelone - I think painting ceilings is the worst paint job in the world; or ranks a close second to wood/plantation shutters that always need at least 3 coats somehow. I suspect I will be sharpening my painting skills this spring when the mandatory "house renovations" get underway one way or another. But I love rich, deep colors on walls -- so maybe you'll like it more after it's dried....

They say it's above cold here, & we've had rain mostly rather than snow/sleet; but it still strikes me as damp and chilly/cold. I must really be a bear by nature - wake me when it's Spring.... January & Feb. always seem so gosh forsaken.

Is Sue booked and looking forward to a warm sunny vacation somewhere or one of those tropic spots she teased us with? who else is escaping the Winter soon? [Sorry, Chelone - I only enjoy the winter when Im safe and snug at home -- with no pipes breaking!].

-Cindy

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Me again...

It is a grey drizzly day here, but it is 43F which is a treat. Much of the snow on the barn and shed roofs is sliding down to the ground. The laneway is almost cleared of snow. Tonight fierce winds are predicted and then it will be back to snow once more.

DH has been sealing spots around the dishwasher in a (no doubt vain) attempt at keeping the mice outdoors. Pollycatkins does a fair job, but I'd rather my kitties didn't just play with them and maim them. I want them gone and don't find them desirable in my kitchen. So what isn't invited indoors should stay away I think. Glad we aren't preparing the house for sale...

I am hoping that a new puppy will quickly get the message out that we don't want skunks near the house either. They have done a terrible amount of lawn damage in the Fall. I hesitate to reseed things until I'm fairly sure they have departed.

Cynthia, Google has lots of info on the use of the dremel for dog nails. Here's one site below. Thanks for the advice! Charlotte was terribly nervous about manicures and her groomer thinks it is a Bouvier characteristic. Maybe. We certainly worked with her as a puppy on that, to no avail.

Deanne, I love to study the wrens in your photos. We don't have many here, but they are so sweet.

So pm2, what techniques are you using for staying calm inside and outside too? Do you meditate, exercise or what? I think that if I busied myself with my walking program more, that would work best for me. So much to worry about with family, friends and our environmental concerns. I guess it was ever thus.

Missing many here these days. Eden, Brenda, to name a couple. How's it going with the brush Chelone? Or is it a roller you use? Either way, I don't like ceiling work much. Paint in the armpit isn't a favourite...

Oy, the propane guy just came again. Backed down the lane, just as we've told them NOT TO. We now have 927.5 litres at a cost of $860. We keep the heat at around 60F in the house, much to the chagrin of the kitties. I remember the days when folks kept it at 80! We also use electric heat sometimes in a couple of rooms. Not often though since that costs too. YIKES.

Hi Cindy! I see you!
    'bug

• gardeningmary
    16 years ago

Hi everyone

The week started off well with Annie finding out she had made it into the Junior High All County Orchestra and David coming home from ski club having skiied his first black diamond slope (and was still in one piece). What was neat was that they were both excited about the other's achivement.

GB - Clousseau will not let me anywhere near his nails but will stand patient as a lamb while one of the groomers at Petco clip them. (I cut the quick once, about 4 years ago and he has never quite gotten over it - should I send him to doggie therapy?) Unfortunately I think the sound of a dremel would send him into more of a tailspin.

Tonight I have a meeting about course selection for Annie next year. I've spent most of the day trying to figure how how in the world I've become the soon-to-be mother of a High Schooler!?

Off to hunt up a good soup recipe for Thursday's soup-a-rama.

Mary

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago

I called and cancelled my appointment in the city today. I was disappointed as I was going to have lunch with my son. I really dont get to see him enough. Since it was his day off I called and we had a nice long chat. For Christmas he asked for kitchen items. I bought him a nice flatware set and my parents bought him some dishes, so hes getting into cooking. He told me he made his girlfriend chicken alfredo and artichokes. Interesting to see how your children eventually show some interest in the things you taught them. Yesterday was around 40 degrees and windless. Today the wind chill is somewhere around 30 with a 3 for the actual temp. They had also talked about snow with white out conditions. DH said that I couldnt go. I stayed home and started some painting projects (no ceilings)

Chelone, I will be painting the "Icky" laundry room. The ceiling in there right now is a pale blue, but with the long narrow space and 9 ceiling, you really dont notice it.

It should be a little warmer tomorrow but the wind is to die down.

Not much else going on here.

Michelle

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    16 years ago

Good evening :-)

Just taking a break from computer shopping. All of a sudden my computer is acting it's age and I am racing to get a replacement before it conks out on me completely and takes my files down to the grave with it. I don't know if we're going to make it...lol. I have run into a snag because I find that they are no longer offering keyboards with the tracking ball in the middle of the keyboard. Well, very few of them, any way. Everyone has switched to that touchpad and I find it very difficult to use. Our daughter just got an Apple, which I thought I would like to switch over to, but in trying hers out, I am very uncomfortable using the keyboard. So, trying to find something that will work for me and I have been at it all day.

I will definitely be here Thursday to post soup photo. Posting recipes with the photos, right?

Well...break's over. [g]

Waving...

pm2

• dodgerdudette
    16 years ago

Im voting for behind-the -toilet as an unpleasant painting job . It would help to be a contortionist.

bug, I hope that puppy doesnt loose in the skunk standoff! WE once had to replace our entire front lawn (such as it was) due to skunk damage. It looked like wed had a polo team out there. However, the pets remained unsullied , preferring to view the destruction from a safe distance. I second your hellos to Brenda and Eden . I hope everything is well in their worlds. I think Brendas been away for ages.

Well Michelle, it seems prudent of you to have stayed home with the painting projects. White-outs and -3 do not seem like good conditions for an outing.

PM, Im posting a link about a new mouse technology that might interest youso many choices with the computer world, its hard to make a decision . Im going to get a laptop this year I think (depending on how the house sale goes).

..toodles all

Kathy in Napa

• veronicastrum
    16 years ago

Waving back - It's V. trying to be non-grumpy tonight. I'll warn you right now that I won't be totally successful. ;)

The wind is howling tonight. I would look at my weather station and tell you just how strong it is, but when the temps plunged 40 degrees this evening, the little wind-strength-measuring thingy must have gotten flash-frozen. So even though it sounds like the house will be coming down around my shoulders, the weather station says there is no wind.

I have one great accomplishment and one non-accomplishment. First, the non-event: I still have not read this idyll! So I will leave this as an all-about-me post and save my commenting for another time.

The accomplishment was getting both companies' books closed for the year today, a week ahead of the original deadline that I was given. I was expecting marching bands and ticker tape to recognize this accomplishment, but I guess I will settle for a dog wagging her tail. Perhaps I will get my reward in other ways? At a meeting today I announced that we need to have a green committee to assess our impact on the environment and how to improve it. No one laughed, I wasn't fired and I think it just might happen.

After two weeks of having the old love seat sitting in an awkward place because we didn't know what to do with it, it is finding a new home with my cleaning lady. I love when something can get reused like that!

Well, Mystic has been mischievous lately, running off for more than an hour at a time in the dark (very hard to find a black dog in the dark), so I need to grit my teeth, zip up my jacket, strap on the yaktrax and head into the teeth of the storm with him on a leash. (hmm, makes one wonder if wiping up dog pee is so bad? no, no, don't GO there!)

Chillingly yours,

V.

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    16 years ago

In Edmonton it was -22F yesterday. This is how they deal with it!
    {{gwi:147773}}

Everyone is happy-happy, even with frozen hair.(I told Sarah that her DH looks like Gorbachev in that pic...not that she knows who that is.)

Here we are getting V's winds. The snow is blowing too. Not sure I'm up to driving in this stuff.

V, we had a blinking light that attached to Charlotte's collar. She was impossible to find at night. DH would walk her and call for her, only to find her right at his side much of the time...

Breakfast time! Almost 9am!!!
    'bug

• chloehoover
    16 years ago

PM2 - I dont own an Apple (bought a cheapo Toshiba laptop w/ Vista on it in June) but everyone I know who has purchased one (Mac that is) in the last year seems to love it and be a real convert. I understand the graphics packages are wonderful. I did get a wireless laptop and am happy w/ it -- it's turned out to be especially handy lately since my computer stuff was in the basement and that's pretty much off limits at present - so I can still have the laptop elsewhere in the house altho my printer is lost to me right now. I too have a hard time w/ the touchpad and smaller keyboard issues - esp. when I spend most of my office hours using a regular keyboard and that's how I make my living so to speak -- but it has gotten easier over time to transition from one to the other for me, slow learner that I am.... You can purchase accessories like wireless keyboards to go w/ laptops if you prefer the wider expansion - might be worth the little extra and or the other "mouse" types as Kathy suggested.

Wow, frozen hair w/ steam and a "mini" iceberg in background -- a particularly interesting capture of opposites!! Not sure le bebe's expression is one of joy though?

Michelle -- glad to hear even you intrepid blizzard-experts take caution re the weather and stay put -- you seem to have a lot of energy to still do things at nite -- Im envious.

V - I was thinking I was the only grouch -- maybe it comes w/ Winter? I would prefer to think so and that it's not us personally! -- that is great you got your year end closed out -- altho not much reinforcement at the ofc.... I am trying to find homes for my old d.r. furniture and old wicker bedroom furniture that was my DD's -- I want to recycle to someone else too - but looks like I'm gonna have to either advertise at the ofc or call local charity places -- more to-do list things.

-Cindy

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    16 years ago

(Cindy, Reed adores the hot tub, no matter the weather. All attention is focussed on him of course... He even likes being head under.)

• chelone
    16 years ago

SIL and TWMPB in the "soup" reminds me of the priceless shots of the temple Maquacs in Japan... the "snow monkeys". They have learned that a soak in the hot springs is a great way to relax and warm up. Friends of our's had a hot tub and it was great fun to get out and roll in snow before hopping right back in. Very invigorating... your skin feels like it's on fire. ZING!

Rex has been in "walkabout" mode lately, too! I have a different apporach to taking him out than does the helpmeet. I put some treats in my pocket and make sure he knows I have them... Then I ask him, "where your BALL?", he grabs it and THEN we go out. I toss it a few times (under the lights on the front of the house) and "boss" him a round a bit, rewarding him with a cookie. Then he goes off to take care of business. I listen for the jingling of his tags, calling him when they get faint. He comes right back. Helpmeet tends to just let him go and go he does, lol. Mummy is definitely the drill master (I know that's hard to believe). Like you, V., I definitely "suit up" and am ready to spend some quality time outdoors... 15-20 minutes with some play is all he really needs/wants. He just needs to know that it's "all about him".

Behind the commode IS a toughie, Kathy. I can assure you that the area behind the one in the upstairs bathroom IS NOT painted. I have not returned to the Salon for the remainder of the ceiling. I've stewed about the color and have come to the realization that the very smooth (and lovely!) finish on the ceiling is very porous and really needs to be PRIMED. I have the primer and will do that, and having studied the color in different light I'm contemplating "cutting" the mix with a quart of basic "ceiling white" to take some of the edge off it. In spite of the fact that it's the palest option on the card I can't quite shake the notion that it will be too similar in value to what I have in mind for the walls. I have a pretty good color sense (if I do say so myself!) and am not squeamish about deep, rich, bold colors. And my "gut" is telling me to take a breath and play with the color a bit before "forgeing ahead".

The oil tank for the barn was delivered a few minutes ago.

I went to the mailbox to collect the mail and found plastic thing with a clip on the back on top of the mail... the GARAGE DOOR OPENER. I put the car in gear, hit the button and door went up... MAGIC! I drove in, shut the car off, and hit the button. The door came down. I am now, truly an AMERICAN, methinks the Escalade can't be far behind. ;)

PM2, my brother has an Apple and he LOVES it. In fact, everyone I know who uses and Apple loves them. The helpmeet is interested in music programs, etc. and Apples are the 'puter of choice for that, as well as graphic work. I am on the horns of replacing my machine, too, and am thinking of moving to an Apple.

Such exciting news about Annie and David, Mary. You must be so proud of them. And how delightful that they are excited about each other's accomplishments. Such appreciation speaks volumes about a happy home. My co-worker likes to play around with her computer and she made me some custom wallpaper. It's a graphic of Beethoven, with a violin and music behind. I opened her e-mail, and you actually cross my mind! Did Viola get "snippy" with you?

V., good move with the old love seat! Some of my best "finds" have been plucked kerbside. As a matter of fact, I passed a very tempting sideboard on my way home this afternoon. If it's still there in the morning I may not be able to pass it by... . If it's gone, well... it's simply not meant to be. Cindy, have you considered Craigslist? A lot of the ladies on the Home Dec. forum swear by it and have scored some great items for "short money".

Soup pictures tomorrow, I think? I will check your post, 'bug.

Stay warm, V., Michelle! I noted the 50 degree drop in temperatures out your way this morning. It's really windy here, and the temp. is dropping, but 20s-30s is nothing compared to single digits. It's an "ocean thing".