Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michelle_zone4

249 Idyll ways to get organized

michelle_zone4
18 years ago

Thanks for all your concern. I am still coughing quite badly and will see the Dr. on Monday if things havent improved. Deanne, I am using Zicam on your recommendation, but I have been battling this for 3 weeks and only started with the Zicam a week ago. I plan to have some in the house to use for the next time at the first sign of symptoms. I had several others recommend it as well. I am a little afraid that this has developed into mycoplasma pneumonia, which is something that I have had several times.

Deanne, so sorry to hear that Doug is in a cast. Why do they think his toe isnÂt healing?

I havenÂt had to change my identity or do anything other than log in. I clicked the box that says "save this info on my computer" it says that then you donÂt have to log in each time, but that didnÂt work. No ads or pop ups though.

The sun is shining here today. Whoo, hoo! Rick had to work last night and again today, which is unusual, so I am home alone. I am hoping that I can do a little painting in the bathroom. I do plan to really take it easy this weekend and get better, but I am not a person who sits well.

Cynthia, those dogs sure keep you hopping.

later

Michelle

Comments (102)

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Babs, it's not my waist where I lost the size, it's my hips. My waist is actually out of proportion with the rest of me based on normal size charts. One of the reasons I dropped the first size is pants now ride lower and I no longer have to fit my waist at the expense of my hips and butt. And to think, for years I resisted the low waist pants. Now I can't wear the older styles-they are just too uncomfortable.

Yes, we plan to ski this year but so far the weather and schedules have not been conducive. We do have our annual ski vacation booked this year to Utah from March 11-18. Park City here we come.

OK, since we last "spoke", I drove downtown and walked an hour and 20 minutes in what turned out to be a very light delightful rain. Tom just bought a new gore tex rain suit so I used that and hardly needed the umbrella. Then I went through a stretching routine, did a Pilates workout, had lunch, showered, changed the bed and picked up the bedroom and prepared the paperwork for rescue surrender. Now it's time to hop in the car and drive over 3 hours. By the time I get home tonight I'm sure I'll be asking where the day went.

Martie, I'll split Deanne's bust inches with you. Unfortunately I lost an inch or so myself in that area in the past couple of months along with the hip inches. Now I'm technically a negative cup size...lol.

Eden, hope the kitty is felling better. Yes, BUN can be elevated by dehydration. After losing an 8 year old dog to kidney failure almost 6 years ago I learned more than I ever want to know about that stuff. We used to administer the sub-qs at home-not a fun time in our lives losing our boy.

Well, I'd better grab the camera and hit the road. No, Honey, no new additions here. I have a two dog limit.

Sue

• martieinct
    18 years ago

The short answer to Deanne's question is yes, I have had some wonderful yoga instructors but really really dislike (as close to hate as I can get) admitting I have any kind of disability to anyone. So, I do what I can on my own and occasionally check in with a good girlfriend who teaches Yoga for a living. She cheers me up, reminds me that's OKAY that I can't get backwards, and gives me some poses to help me get over the stress of needing to call her. So it turned into a long answer, sorry!

Really really dislike this as well but we need all the good thoughts that can be mustered today. This afternoon received a call from my brother's hospital that he has become non-verbal and has regressed to the point of needing 24/7 one-on-one care. For a while he appeared to be getting more lucid (he told me he "left" when the voices started arguing a few weeks back) so this is really disheartening. One step forward, two steps back. No one expects healing, here, but the ability for him to do watercolors again or recognize his own dog or at this point even talk would be good. The nurse who called is one I have gotten to know and she was almost in tears. I haven't yet called my parents. Rich offered to do that and for the first time I think I'll take him up on his caring suggestion.

Logee's next weekend, Logee's next weekend, Logee's next weekend ........

Martie

• gardeningmary
    18 years ago

Thank you everyone, your good thoughts and wishes helped me today. There is much comfort in knowing others care. The memorial service was beautiful and I'm feeling drained but far more at peace. Annie had the hardest time - she burst into tears on entering the church, then locked herself in the restroom for half an hour. Fortunately we had arrived very early. Annie's lovely Fifth Grade teacher was also there, and she helped talk Annie through coming out and sitting between us for the service. With the help of a box of tissues and hugs from many of her friends she/we made it through. The music was just beautiful. Both girls had played the cello and their two cello teachers played duets in tribute. Family and friends shared reminiscences and a slide show of photos brought back many memories. I admired the strength of the remaining families members and the number of lives Susan and her daughters had touched. It had been grey and raining when we drove in to the service, but as we left everywhere was glittering in fresh white snow, as beautiful a winter landscape as you can imagine.

Mary

• flowerluvr
    18 years ago

((Martie))
    ((Mary))

Brenda

• gardenbug
    18 years ago

Martie, this is for your brother. Print it out for him if he'd like it. Hugs to all- and a big WOOF too.

{{gwi:147790}}

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    18 years ago

Cuteness alert-also for Martie's brother...

How many puppies do you see in this picture?

{{gwi:147791}}

They had just had a bath and were napping under a heat lamp when I arrived so we couldn't get much in the way of action out of them...lol. This little girl knows how to get comfortable...

{{gwi:147792}}

I believe Wanda is calling this guy Thor. Five weeks old.

{{gwi:147793}}

Here's a wide angle view of their current living conditions.

{{gwi:147794}}

Gotta run-it's time to eat. Mary I'm so sorry Annie had such a tough day. Many years ago my current boss lost his 10 year old daughter to cystic fibrosis and to this day I remember seeing adults trying to comfort her numerous classmates outside the church. Hugs to all of you.

Sue

• Jerri_OKC
    18 years ago

(((Mary)))
    (((Martie)))
    (((Kisses for Charlotte))) :)

• cynthia_gw
    18 years ago

Hugs to Annie and Mary, and Hi to Martie's brother from Monty & Rippie.

{{gwi:147795}}

Eden, Thinking of you and Eve. It's so hard when they don't feel well. I've done the fluids thing here for a couple of kitties. But since it's just for a week think it's good the vet office is doing it, cause then they can check her progress every day!

Good thing we don't have to buy film anymore. I just took about 15 pictures in the kitchen. The ones with flash gave the critters glowing evil eyes. The ones without the flash were too dark and no amount of lightening could recover them. So that's that.

What a pile of fuzzy pups Sue! I guess 6, and can't separate them all out. What fun.

Hi Charlotte! You can keep that snow, we don't need it here. But it was spitting something frozen out there when Katie and I went to Petsmart tonight.

A pleasant day. Yes. I cleaned out a drawer. Made cranberry banana bread to get rid of those left overs. Made chicken a la king and didn't have peas, so put in Trader Joe's frozen french green beans, and it was yummy! It's a three day week-end and one of the other volunteers offered to take Rippie to an open house today so I had the whole day for me. It was so nice walking just two dogs and Katie was all excited about it :)

Rippie gave me a mini face lift yesterday. We were all in a huddle in my office and I reached under Rippie (he was standing) to retrieve a toy Katie was playing with (she was reclining, so needed a slave.) Just as my head came up, his went down to greet me and his concrete skull hit my granite skull right at the edge where the eyebrow is. Half an inch lower and he would have bashed my glasses into my eye. But wow did it hurt! I was making moany noises and wondering if one or both of us had a concussion. Today it's nicely swollen giving me a much younger look in the eye area :) If it would last, I'd have the other side 'done.'

High winds out there and I swear I heard the news say up to 60MPH. It's back in the 30F range again.... But! We're half way through January!

Take care everyone - especially you weight and inch loosers. I found bras on sale at Land's End a few weeks ago for $5 in my size (A if I hold my breath in). They were a great buy, and too big.

Ciao, Cynthia

• Lara Noles
    18 years ago

Martie, I'm so sorry to hear your brother's not doing well. Even though big old Bud isn't crazy about following Cynthia's boys with their slim physiques he'd like to say "Hi" too. A picture from the warmer days of last summer...

{{gwi:147796}}

Mary, what can I say. Your post brought tears to my eyes. To go through such a sad day and to have to see your child suffering as well must have been so hard. My heart goes out to you and Annie tonight.

A quick report on Eve. She seems to be feeling better tonight and I did get her to eat a little. The vet did offer to let me give her the sub q fluids at home but since it was just for the week I decided to take her in so she could keep closer watch of how Eve's doing. She had wanted to me to leave her overnight to start with but with Eve having been a feral I knew how much that would stress her and felt she would do better at home. Thanks for all of your good thoughts for her.

Sue, what cuddly little balls of fur. And I loved seeing Charlotte, Rippie and Monty too.

Cynthia, glad you have a 3 day weekend to relax but please be careful frolicking with those pooches! To quote my mother, "It's always fun till someone puts an eye out." We have a Trader Joes now and I haven't been yet but will check it out soon since you're always mentioning all the yummy things you find there.

Just realized it's Saturday nite and I haven't even cracked open a bottle of wine. Maybe tomorrow nite.

Time for bed now, so goodnight Dear Idylls. Eden

• babs_clare
    18 years ago

Mary what a kind,sensitive teacher Annie has. I am sorry Annie had an understandibly hard time. My heart breaks for her loss. I hope you are faring well enough.

Martie that must be so difficult to see your DB regress so. I'm imagining the call to your folks will be tough. I'm sending positive thoughts that something sparks his responsiveness to a better sense of reality. Amazing to hear him verbalize what happens in his brain and his reaction(coping)-that must make it that much harder for you because you know he's in there but don't know how to get him back out. How do they treat his situation? Has this happened before? I don't want to sound confused but is he bi-polar?

Sue I know what you mean-I rejected low riding jeans for so long but when I finally took the 'plunge' high waisted feels terrible! I also think flared legs look so much better too. Then the styles change...will we? lol
    Sorry to be crass but anyone who wants extra boobage may gladly have some of mine...I miss pre-kids perky ones: )
    I love those puppy pics!!!!!

Sorry about your eye Cynthia.

Deanne I meant to say that's great about Doug losing the cast soon. He must be excited-does he miss the dancing?

~Babs....off to watch 'The Constant Gardener'...I wonder what it's about.

• drema_dianne
    18 years ago

Hi Everyone!
    I just got back from showing the houses, and I have hopes to write the contract tommorrow:) We looked at some really cool houses. This is one part of being in real estate that I like. I get to see so many neat places. On my way home, I got a speeding ticket. I was sort of bummed out, because my kids always laugh at how slow I drive, so I ruined my record. I knew I should have stuck to the highway instead of backroads. I wasn't quite sure the best way to get home, and made the wrong choice. Saturday night in tiny towns, they hide behind the bushes. Even so I was only going about 8 miles over. It cost $73....yuck. Oh well, done now....but I could have bought plants, seeds, dirt, mulch..

Sue, GB and Cynthia, thanks for the adorable doggie pictures. Sue, how will you give all of those puppies away? I don't think I could..I bet I would end up with a houseful. That is one reason I got Maggie spayed, because I knew that I would have to keep at least one, they are so sweet!

Martie, I hope your brother does better soon. I know what you mean sort of, because my brother has some problems like that too, and it makes me feel bad when he gets scared. Just didn't want you to feel like you were alone out there. They were able to get hime some medication that sort of works, not perfectly, but he is much better now than he was a year ago. He still has problems, and is trying to work through it. My husband got him a job about 3 or 4 weeks ago, and he has actually been able to work for the first time in about 5 years. I think he feels safe because my son has been working on the same job with him, and they share a hotel room and the first week my husband went with him. He isn't considered qualified for disabled, eventhough there is no way he could go out and enter the regular work force. He came back home and has been staying with my mom for a while. Prayers for your brother from me.

Mary, you have a wonderfully calm way about you that I am sure is very comforting to Annie. I hope you are okay, and my heart goes out to you all....

Eden, hope your kitty is okay.

Happy Anniversary and birthdays to those of you celebrating!

Have any of you seen either msn or yahoo groups? I know they can post pictures, havent' read the small print on copyrights, etc, but I do know people use them for posting.

Deanne, I don't know if I mentioned it, but after your suggestion on shoes, I found a pair of Borns at TJMAXX. I liked them so well, I got another pair on sale at Dillards. My toe..in case anyone remembers or is interested..didn't respond to the Lamisil.Well, the toe might have, but I had allergic reaction to something in it. My ears started ringing, face itched, I was getting dizzy without wine, so I quit taking it. Half my foot is sore when I walk, I am painting it with Penlac, it works 12% of the time according to instructions. I have hopes. Otherwise I am having it permanently removed next spring. I have to use this for X number of months.

I ran out of scintillating thoughts...and ..I don't want to end on a complaining note,

Here comes Suzy Snowflake .....(with I knew how to make a musical note:))

TTYL
    D.

• deanneart
    18 years ago

Just a quick post as I'm completely toasted. It is very late but OMG did we ever have an incredible and fabu dinner at Silks tonight. The fois gras is beyond belief there and I had rack of lamb for my main course. I can't describe what a treat it was to have such unbelievably beautifully prepared and presented food. MJ and the boys along with DD were a delight to share out anniversary dinner with. I'll have to do three or four hours of cardio to pay for my dinner tonight but it will be worth every bit of sweat and discomfort.

Sue and Martie, you are both welcome to at least another three or four inches off my bustline along with the three I lost last year. Then my top and bottom would be the same size. It is a bear to wear two different sizes.Dresses just never fit right.

Mary I'm so incredibly sorry for your terribly sad day. Poor Annie. I wish I could give her such a hug and make all the pain go away. She is so very young to be dealing with such a terrible loss. Sending lots of love and hugs your way.

Martie, So sorry, I totally where you are coming from with our DB. My youngest brother is 41 and has never been able to work. He is incapable of working because of his illness and it will never get better. Mental illness is a hideous tragedy for everyone. Sending lots of hugs your way tonight too.

OK it is almost 3AM and I really really need to get to bed.

Take care everyone,
    Deanne

PS Sue the puppy pics are almost too cute and should have some kind of warning about being off the cuteness scale.

• martieinct
    18 years ago

Thanks for the pics, posts and thoughts. I've forwarded all the pics to the nurse who will show them to my brother. She (even this early in the morning) sends huge thanks, as well.

Babs: My brother has five different diagnosed diseases, all of which affect his ability to do much of anything. Schizophrenia, bi-polar, IQ of 72 (borderline retardation), paranoia and Kleinfelter's Syndrome (which affects hormonal balance -- imagine being PMSx20 all the time with no relief). As a result he is one of only 200 people in our state who have a 'permanent' hospital bed in a psychiatric facility. I am his conservator after he was becoming alarmingly abusive toward my parents and they were incapable of of bringing themselves to "do" anything. They were his 24/7 care for his entire life and I volunteered primarily so that they could have any life of their own at all.

Mary: It's obvious that many people adored Susan and her family, and it's wonderful that Annie has such a caring mentor in her life. My thoughts will remain with you for as long as it takes to find some comfort.

Sue: I guess 7. You gotta love how unhibited that little girl is!!

Windy, snowy and cold here. The roses had started to green up and I was out last night at about 1am (couldn't sleep, anyway) mounding them up a little more to deal with the 30deg temp swing. Today get to start Marie Antoinette and look a little deeper into the Forest Farm catalog.

ANNOUNCEMENT ON A MUCH LIGHTER NOTE: We have done the outdoors budget for 2006. We will not exceed that budget and will get only what's on the list. We will not buy expensive temperennial plants for containers. We will not put in any plant that is not an absolute certainty for survival. We will do only what is absolutely necessary to the walkways to avoid lawsuits and be able to snow blow next winter. We will strictly adhere to the line items appearing for mail order and local nurseries. We will seed start no fewer than 3 flats to cut down on the amount of lawn that needs to be dug up for nurserying. This is our agreement. Yeah, right :-)

Thanks, again, for everyone just being who you are.

Martie

• michelle_zone4
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Martie, I feel so bad for your DB. It must be incredibly difficult for your family to see him like this. What a wonderful gift you have given your parents by taking the responsibility.

Mary, sorry to hear that Annie had such a difficult time. Her teacher sounds like she is very supportive. Did these girls go to Annies school?

Adorable dogs of all sizes. Although I can see why so many people get sucked into a puppy. Id guess 6 puppies.

Deanne, it sounds like a good time was had by all. 3 a.m. wow!

Drema, I hope you make the sale, but too bad about the ticket.

Eden, good to hear that Eve is getting the treatment she needs. I had to laugh about your comment about what your mom used to say.

Cynthia, have you tried to remove red eye with your picture software? It works well on Kenzies pictures.

I am really feeling a lot better and did get most of my list done yesterday. I usually plan more than I can get done.
    Im up early as I slept poorly an couldnt get back to sleep. 6:50 on a Sunday morning is ridiculous.

It looks like the NE is pretty wintery today. Stay warm.

Michelle

• Lara Noles
    18 years ago

Good Morning,

Deanne are you up yet? That was a late night. I'm so glad you had a good time. Happy Anniversary to a great couple! Here's a container garden for you...

{{gwi:147797}}

Michelle I'm so glad you're feeling better.

Martie, those garden budgets are sure hard to stick to aren't they? Let me know if you figure out how to do it.

Hi Drema, sounds like you're getting good at selling those houses. Good to hear from you.

Gotta run, I'm soft boiling eggs in the egg toaster for breakfast. Then off to the vet for Eve's sub q. Have a good day everyone. The sun's shining here.

Eden

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    18 years ago

A gold star to those of you who guessed six puppies-two girls and 4 boys. For miniature schnauzers six is a good sized litter. Wanda is keeping one of the boys and the rest are spoken for except one boy. Wanda breeds primarily for temperment. In 20 years of breeding she has never advertised. People find her by word of mouth then often wait months since she only breeds two or three litters a year. Her dogs don't do much in the show ring but you could probably hang them by their toes and not get as much as a growl (not that I'm advocating that of course). The mother of these puppies sits on my lap the whole time I'm there. If I stop patting her she takes her paw and puts it on my hand. Wanda calls her a woman of the 90s. She nursed and took care of the puppies beautifully but once they started developing teeth she immediately started regurgitating and forcing them to learn to eat on their own...lol.

Deanne, I was thinking last night when I left Wanda's that I should have just kept going up I-290 and joined you for dinner as I was probably less than an hour away. Silks sounds like my kind of place. Tom could have spent the night trying to figure out where I was because our home phone is out. You can call out but no one can call us. Actually the phone company should offer that as an option for phone averse people like us...lol.

Martie, I'm still laughing over your 2006 outdoor budget. Most of my garden spending this year will probably be for tender annuals and container plants and small shrubs. So far I haven't seen much in the way of new perennials that float my boat. The bulk of the hardscaping is done here. Last summer one of my neighbors replaced his front walk and we grapped a bunch of the old pavers with the plan of making a little patio in front of the shed. Prettying up the shed area has been on my list for a couple of years now.

Deanne, my top and bottom have never been the same size. I can't buy anything two piece unless you can buy it as separates. Fitted tops are the hardest because I have wide shoulders and long arms.

Winter has returned. This morning we have an inch or two of swow, temps in the mid 20's and gusting winds. My outdoor walk may be in jeopardy, not because of the weather but because the ground is freezing and footing on most sidewalks will be shaky at best. The blast will be shortlived though-by Tuesday it's supposed to be back in the 40s.

Later,

Sue

• cynthia_gw
    18 years ago

Yep, all next week will be heading to the 50s! I can't wait to see my January heating bill. I may have to frame it. There's a new commercial (and like all great commercials, I have no idea what product it's advertising) where the family sits around saying 'not me' and 'nope I won't touch it' and it turns out they're all afraid to open the utility bill, lol. I've been known to avoid opening mine for a couple of days, but then my need to be orderly overcomes my need to avoid pain. I did turn the heat back on last night as it was supposed to go into the twenties, and kitties are all lounging on radiators this morning.

Deanne, that must have been quite a dinner! What fun to share it with friends and make a longggg night of it. Hope you're sleeping in this morning.

Eden, wow your vet is open on Sunday! Hope Eve continues to improve. Beautiful container, and I see one of my favorites I think - the variegated Breynia disticha Roseopicta (spelling is probably all messed up there.) I have 8 baby agaves in the basement. Do you me to send you some of the agave seeds when I send the e.coelestium? They need 80F to germinate, so right on the heating pad in a plastic bag with damp vermiculite or coffee filter and they pop up in a few days. Also, can you email me your address? I have a padded envelope ready to go.

Michelle I just have the free irfanview, and don't think that has a red-eye remover. Something free came with my camera, but I didn't like it and removed it to get the space back.

Drema, "Otherwise I am having it permanently removed next spring. " The toe!? Hope your new treatment works! Can't imagine having foot problems with all the walking you have to do - I'm assuming your still using public transportation to get to work?

Martie, good luck restricting seed grown to 3 flats. Do you have fluorescent lights? You end up adding more and more lights until you need a house with bigger basement. I would be in good shape if I could restrict myself to growing '3 flats.' And for those of us who are seed sluts, what are you planning to grow???

Babs, I was so bummed when I found out that 'The Constant Gardener' wasn't a hort film.

Okey dokey. Time to bundle up and take a flight with the dawgs. It's warmed up to 30F, but the wind advisory is on until 4PM.

Have a good one! Cynthia

• deanneart
    18 years ago

Good morning, Ummm well it is probably going to be good afternoon by the time I get this posted. I simply could not believe the weather yesterday. Doug and I went outside and raked the entire back yard wearing shirt sleeves it was so warm. The rain melted any of the ice that would have kept us from getting those leaves off the lawn. So the fall cleanup is finally done. LOL! The down side to the warm weather was I put my full length, wool, plaid, hostess skirt on and figured out that I probably would have died of heat exhaustion if I wore it to dinner. So I dragged out a lovely summer weight silk dress I got on sale at Coldwater Creek and wore that instead. I told Doug hed have to take me out to dinner again when it was cold so I could wear my skirt. LOL

So the winter express has returned and the winds are howling here today with a couple inches of snow. I cant believe we were outside without coats yesterday. Tonight it is supposed to go down to 8 degrees and I dont have a good feeling about all the buds that were greening up on the shrubs. They probably arent going to survive the temp extremes. Oh well, gardening in NE one has to expect these things.

Sue, I so wish youd been able to join us for dinner. Ive thought of asking you guys to come up to Silks for dinner with us sometime but it is extremely expensive but in my mind worth the price. I know Les and Monique would adore it also. One thing I love about it is the portions are reasonable to small. You dont get served a half a cow if you order a filtet mignon. I wish I could have taken photos of the presentation. Oh la la! The fois gras probably was only about a 2 oz serving, but it came with this gorgeous black currant and mango chutney and decorated with a wafer thin apple chip. I have no idea how they did the apples like that but it was delightful. We had a fabu 1996 bottle of Groth Cabernet Sauvignon. Oh my, perfect with the rack of lamb. DD ordered quail and MJs oldest DS ordered elk steaks. They really have an unusual menu and everything is prepared perfectly. Ill dream about this dinner for a long time.

Cynthia, LOL about framing your Jan heating bill. Im sure it will be some kind of record. We were headed there ourselves until this cold snap. ~~ I actually did sleep in until 9:30 this morning, unheard of for me.

Martie, thank you for the comedic interlude. Your budget is remarkable and I cant wait to see how that works out. ~~ So incredibly sorry your DB is in such bad shape. My DB is able to live on his own as long as he is good about taking his meds. Every once in a while hes had to be hospitalized when he has paranoid episodes. Hes been violent in the past and it is critical for him to take his meds.

Eden, thank you! Your container is just lovely. It makes me so anxious for spring. What is the tall plant in the back of the arrangement? That combination is gorgeous. ~~ Hope Eve continues to do OK. ~~ Ive been meaning to ask you if you winter over your caladium corms? Ive tried for two years now and they are currently mush in the basement and Ive got to run them out to the compost pile. Id like to be able to winter them over but havent had any success with it.

Michelle, I need some of your motivation today. I still havent gotten myself out of my easy chair. I think it is time to make another pot of coffee or run out to Starbucks for a black eye.

Hi Drema, great to hear from you. It sounds like you are getting pretty successful with selling houses. Hope you can write that contract today. Bummer about the speeding ticket. ~~ Glad to hear you like the Borns. I absolutely love mine and they wear like iron and only get more comfortable over time. ~~ Bummer about that toenail. Doug had a fungus in one of his and he read about using white vinegar on it. I laughed at him but much to my surprise it worked and the toenail is growing out clean now. It did take a few months of doing it twice a day, but it did work.

Hi Babs, yes, Doug actually does miss our dancing lessons. We are both hoping he can lose the cast this week and get clearance to start dancing again.

Cynhthia, LOL about you and Rippie butting heads and the resulting face lift. So who do you think has the hardest head? Hope you dont wind up with a black eye out of it.

OK Ive been writing this for way too long and must water the plants under the lights today as well as do some laundry, run the vacuum around and clean the fish tank. Doug wants to run out to the mall for a bit so Id better motivate.

TTYL
    Deanne

• gardenbug
    18 years ago

Finished my morning treadmill stint while DH is off at hockey. I asked him on his way home to bring me a second pair of the running shoes like the ones that I bought last Thursday. I figure if they fit and are comfortable that it will save me shopping agony later on.

I imagine Deanne is crawling out of bed by now. I'm so glad that you ate a wonderful meal for your special occasion. Lamb is a favourite of mine too. Good to hear Doug's foot is making progress. I hope your dance partner returns soon!

Sue, the reason there are so many stray dogs must be that people can't resist bringing home puppies. Then they find out they are a responsibilty. My DD rescued two of them and I fear she'd rescue 10 more if they appeared on her doorstep. Not to mention her 3 cats... She and her partner are extraordinarily good pet owners. They brush all the pets' teeth nightly and stuff I never do. The dogs are walked many many times each day even though they work far from home. And when I say walked, I mean long walks in the woods and ravines no matter how cold the temperature.

I think we will need to start posting on the other thread when we reach 75...to be fair to all!

Babs, you sure are learning a lot of science these days! Hope AJ is too! Those were really fun times at our house. The Science Fair was a huge event at our kids' school and DH had a ball working with them. It was always a trick knowing how far to help and when to leave them alone. But I must say, those lessons they learned help them now in their jobs! They both give fine presentations, know how to make graphs and posters etc. and are confident about it too. I felt sorry for the kids who had no one at home to guide them in exploring ideas.

Mary, although my heart breaks for Annie, my guess is that the funeral helped her with some sort of acceptance and closure. If only locking yourself in the bathroom helped I'd spend lots of time there too!

I have not bought any new seeds this year. I have so many leftovers that I will dig into that pile when the time comes. For me, that will be far down the road, maybe April. Nothing can go outdoors until June 1st usually. But then I will start hollyhocks and sunflowers and lots of colourful stuff for near the barn. I may have to learn to deal with clematis in containers...a real pain of a job. But I have so many...and more on order! What a disease!

I too was amazed that Eden's Vet would help her on a Sunday! KEEP THAT VET! A friend sent a photo of her friend's baby today: Bella! She's an adorable blonde.

Off to deal with lunch before the man returns.
    'bug

• martieinct
    18 years ago

Cynthia: Right now I'm down to three sets of florescents. I don't bother with anything fancy -- Home Depot regular 4' fixtures with one hot and one cold bulb replaced annually is perfect for me. I haven't started seeds in several years, perhaps because the last time I did I was in my apartment (downstairs of an old Victorian house) and was visited by the almost-embarassed-at-the-end police because a neighbor was sure I was growing something not so legal in these parts. They left with a few Wave petunias each to bring to the suspicious neighbor.

So, this year I am starting (in no particular order): three kinds of Shasta daisies, alpine strawberries, angel roses (thanks, again, Woody if you are out there), Companulas (3 varieties), Digitalis, Cerastium, Penstemon, two kinds of Thyme (one I'm trialing for trueness), three kinds of Lavandula (of course), rosemary 'cause I always kill the plants and this will be my "I started it from seed and I'm keeping it alive" challenge, a few Dianthus, and five or six annuals including the infamous Waves. In three flats. I've convinced Rich it can be done ;-) A half flat will also be devoted to Coleus (his favorite and it's always a trip to see what comes up). While some women will go to great lengths to sneek clothes into the house, I'll be the one with the light fixtures. LOL

My brother is stabilizing and for the first time in 4 days asked to go out and smoke. The best news, yet. He has been in this situation before and getting him out of it is a matter of absolute patience and the hope that he doesn't realize how much attention he's getting to play it out. This is NOT a diss, but a very real part of any mental illness. Sometimes it's a much easier life to be sick and waited on hand and foot.

Deanne: Your dinner sounds SO good. Heck, everyone's dinner sounds doable! I would've ordered what you did. A client told me about a great seafood place on the main street of Nashua. Do you know it?

Eden: I've called everyone I know and told them to Brush Their Pet's Teeth to decrease the likelihood of this adverse event spreading throughout the forum. Your vet must like you very much, and I'm glad that you're able to help your Eve at home rather than dragging her to an office.

GB: I'm looking for a replacement digital camera and figure that if I start with something like what you have my pics MAY look better than in the past. What do you recommend for someone who has little artistic "eye" but likes to shoot?

Cynthia: Now that I know you're okay, had to laugh about your "facelift." Looking at the pics, there aren't many soft spots on Greyhounds, are there? Hope all will be well with your eye before you need to explain twice that it really was your dog ....

Grilled pork in a thrown-together marinade, tonight. Got rid of a lot of Holiday leftovers: cranberry sauce, orange syrup, the last 1/4" of Balsamic vinegar, the last sprigs of fresh herbs taken out of the freezer, you all know the drill. It smells like I better write this concoction down.

To anyone I haven't "talked" to today, hope yours has been great! I miss Chelone -- any word from her to anyone?

Martie

• babs_clare
    18 years ago

Ah yes the perpetual science project. MArie this project seems so involved because I have to work in baby steps with AJ-he loves learning from the books so much but when it comes to the mechanics of putting together the reports(WRITING) he's a pain to push along. I worry that he'll be a procrastinator like his dear 'mum' lol. So far his report is DONE and now he is making the poster which is more fun for him(and me!). I think AJ has learned from this but I know I have. The science fair starts in two weeks so we'll be practicing his presentation next. He never gets nervous about presentations-go figure(it's good though).

Drema-sorry about your toenail-must be frustrating-hey I know it is! Maybe you should try Vicks(Michelle I heard that snicker!lol) No REALLY Vicks did work for me. I had half a toenail this past summer after losing it in late spring. Now my nail is completely grown in with no pain or any noticeable differences compared to my other toenails. I put Vicks on the nail and surrounding skin twice a day and it really has helped. I still do a maintanence application now to make sure this works. Take it or leave it but it worked for me. I agree that the vinegar is supposed to work too(I tend to think Vicks smells better). I also am an advocate for well fitting shoes-those make a big difference in the healing process.

Cynthia-while I figured the title of The Constant Gardener most likely wasn't literally about gardening in the the sense we all enjoy I really found it to be a compelling movie! I was glued to the set till the end. Very thought provoking.

Martie-I had no idea your DB had so *many* difficuties. How thoughtful you are to look out for your parents in all this and your DB-I admire you. I know of families where the parents are the main custodians for their disabled child throughout adulthood but there's the dilemma of what happens when the parents are too old or are suddenly gone. It's good that you had the foresight to handle the situation as you have. I can't even imagine the impact of caring for a sibling/child with so many problems-I suppose when one is faced with it there's no choice but you've gone about it in an admirable way. I appreciate even more your DB's comments about what he goes through. I hope too that he can paint his watercolors again soon. Thanks for sharing his situation-I hope I wasn't too nosy(!).

Deanne-I'm glad you had a good celebration!

Drema-sorry about that ticket-such a bummer! Maybe that house will sell and you'll not even give the ticket another thought.

Eden thanks for that pic-a very warm relaxing mood to that one and did I say warm? ; )

~Babs

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    18 years ago

It's cold here...brrrr. The wind seems to have died down but it's only 11 F. I didn't leave the house all day. Just a reminder as to why I dislike January so much. On the upside, I did work out and clean my desk. We were supposed to go out to my MIL's for dinner this afternoon but northwestern CT got 8-10 inches of snow so we decided to go tomorrow night. Going out on weeknights isn't high on my list but Tom is lucky to still have a mother around who can cook him dinner and she prefers to celebrate birthdays "on the day" anyway. I'll look at it as a night off for me.

All this food talk and I've had the hungry horrors all day. In trying to keep up my healthy eating plan I've been snacking on fruit, nuts and cheese but I've made quite the dent in what we have(had) in the house...lol. Tonight I dug a container of lobster meat out of the freezer and made little casseroles that I served over rice with a side of steamed broccoli and a salad. It was yummy but time for me to stop thinking about food today.

Martie, so glad to hear your brother has made some progress.

Marie, the reason there are so many stray pets in general is because too many people breed who have no interest in the continuing welfare of the puppies and kittens they produce. All the breeders I know are extremely selective about who they sell puppies to. All puppies are sold with contracts that contain "take back" clauses meaning that at any time in the life of the dog, if the owner can no longer keep it, it goes back to the breeder. When we got Zak back in 1992 I spent hours on the phone being "interviewed" by his breeder. On numerous occasions she reminded me of the "take back" clause. One of the first questions we ask someone who is trying to surrender a dog to us in rescue is where did they get it. If it's from a breeder we know, we call them. On an aside though, the discriminating breeders must do a really good job screening people because we rarely, if ever get a well bred dog into rescue-not even from shelters. The majority of them were originally purchased from pet stores who sell to anyone who has money.

Another weekend bites the dust. My boss is back from vacation tomorrow and the auditors start coming in on Wednesday so it looks to be another whirlwind week. At least it's less than a week til Martie's Logees get together-something to look forward to.

Sue

• cynthia_gw
    18 years ago

I like 'take back' clauses. If I die, Katie goes back to the group I volunteer for, and Monty goes back to the group I adopted him from. Although I need to put them in my will as property (that's how the law defines pets), I can still leave specific dollars for their interim or perpetual care. It's tricky to enforce, but most people are afraid of me and think I'll be back haunting them so I'm not too worried. Kitties each have named guardians. I know some of you think I'm insane, but fortunately I have friends who put up with me :)

Sue, sorry you don't have tomorrow off! I've been carrying on about the 3 day week-end and forgot that there will be exceptions. You probably get Patriot's day off though, that's a big New England thing :)

Martie, that is way more than a three flat list, unless you're only planting 2 seeds of each and expect the mouse to eat half of them. I've been using natural pest control methods in the cellar this year. Audreyhepburn sneaks down there every chance she gets and leaves her harvest on the steps. Good girl.

I painted the Adirondack chairs in the kitchen today. They were getting a little scuffed up, and since I always have 12 varieties of white paint around, I decided they'd get a fresh coat. What a ton of work. Too many slat edges to paint. This would have been much easier in summer with a can of spray paint outdoors. One coat wasn't enough, but it wasn't getting dark and I need the natural light to see well, so second coat will happen tomorrow. Michelle inspired me. Figured if she can paint the whole bathroom, I should be able to knock off a couple of chairs. The cats live in those chairs (lots of natural sunlight there) and there were 5 years of little scratchy marks from cats waking up in them and stretching.

Sauly showing shiny teeth and dinged up chair:
    {{gwi:147798}}

Wow! 9:30 already!?

Night all, Cynthia

• martieinct
    18 years ago

Good shivering morning. Even the birds are hunched up.

Eden: I've been meaning to tell you this for a loooong time .... I, too, am a table lover and have found my camelot for interesting, good quality pieces at Bombay. They almost always have a sale going and for the money, it's as good as you're going to find. Their selection of round pieces is outstanding. Check it out! (If you can't find a store, they're on the web.)

Babs: IMHO, no one can ever be too nosy about my DB. I am anxious and very willing to share my family's story with the hope that "the system" will recognize eventually that families cannot be counted on to take care of very sick people. I liken it to a family trying to take care of a heart attack victim. Unheard of, right?

Cynthia: Trust me, more than two seeds each will be planted as once I get going there will obviously be more than three flats :-) Being the wonderful husband he is, once I get going it'll be Rich saying "why don't you try That???!!!" Because he's a newbie to a gardener with a blank slate, we're taking baby steps so the poor guy doesn't get totally overwhelmed. LOL

My hat off to all of you who can pick up a brush, put paint on it, and make something look good. It is one skill I simply don't have the genes to do. I can tape like a demon, though!!!!

This week I'm getting my traction and visiting several of my inherited accounts. No ice in the forecast is a huge plus. Funny thing, today I'm going to two nurseries (I like businesses to have the opportunity Plan Early). Hmmm, wonder how That happened. LOL

Everyone Stay Warm!!!

Martie

• deanneart
    18 years ago

Good morning Idylls,

Mighty quiet around here this morning. Mighty freaking cold here this morning. Eight degrees. As Sue said Brrrrrr It must be below zero at Bugs in the frozen north.

The kitties are going to drive me crazy today. They arent allowed outside when its this cold. Rahjii exercises his vocal chords with amazing results at times. Youd think someone was killing him and he is just expressing his displeasure with me because I wont open the door. OK must get another cup of coffee..OK. coffee is now in hand Ahhhhh. What an amazing and wonderful beverage.

Today I get to go to my PCP and have a discussion with her about my TSH levels. Every time I get the blood test it comes back normal but Ive been reading about it and as it turns out normal can be up to 5 and that is normal for middle age white men and they are finding out that women usually do better if their TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) is between 1 and 3. Anyway, Im also going to print out my Fit Day results and show her the calorie deficit I live with and ask why the heck I never lose any weight. It amazes me how little help there is from the medical community with weight reduction other than sew your stomach in half.

Martie, the place on Main St. in Nashua is indeed a fantastic seafood restaurant called Surf. The people who own our favorite restaurant Michael Timothys, which is across the street from Surf, opened the seafood place a few years ago and it is a big hit. Michael is actually now planning on opening a steak house in Merrimack sometime soon. Anyway Surf is only open for dinner and they do not take reservations so we normally go for early dinner so we can get seated right away. Maybe sometime we can get the group up here to go for dinner there. ~~ BTW I LOL at the story about the neighbors who thought you were growing illegal substances under your plant lights. Too funny that you sent the police off with wave petunias. Ill bet the police were embarrassed by it all.

Babs, you are such a terrific Mom to get so involved with AJs science project. I love it that you are going to help him practice his presentation. Neat!

GB, good plan to buy two pairs of exercise shoes when you find something that works. I should be so smart. I bought a pair a year ago that I absolutely love and they need to be replaced now and I wish I had that extra pair. ~~ BTW speaking of seeds, did you still want some of those leftover Linde Armstrong seeds from 04? I dont know if they are still viable but I do have a few left.

OK Ive got too get my day started here. I wasnt anywhere near as productive as Michelle yesterday so I still have to vacuum and clean the fish tank as well as mail out a couple orders, make a bank deposit, print the FitDay pages and get to the doctors office by 2:45PM.

TTYL
    Deanne

Sue, bummer about the hungry horrors. Ive found that the fitter I get the worse that gets. All those lovely muscles youve picked up with your fitness routine are demanding more calories.

• gardenbug
    18 years ago

This signing in to post is losing its charm....

OK Sue and Deanne. Miracle Soup is the answer. When you are dying for something to munch, this is what you should have on hand: Miracle Soup.

Miracle soup is 50 calories a cup and helps you through those awful times, for me usually between 4-5pm.
    6 cups tomato juice
    2 cups beef bouillon
    1 package frozen California vegetables
    Simmer it all for 20 minutes.

I have lost 10 pounds since January second by following my own advice and using the treadmill for 1 week.

Now off to get my hair cut. Later.

'bug

• Jerri_OKC
    18 years ago

Hello all. We are off work today. :)
    GB, I had to log in and say I'm trying your miracle soup. I lost 15 pounds and stalled. I hope this will be a jump-start!

Jerri

• honey_mi
    18 years ago

Just a "fly by" from me today while waiting for the shower. DH is home and wants to go to the movies to see "Munich". Think we'll catch the Matinee.

I lied to Marie when I said I wasn't going back to the basement this weekend. After completing two small projects -- you know the kind that take more time to set up, clean up and put away than actually doing -- I reorganized DH's workshop area, swept and scrubbed the floor. I also cleaned yrs. of dust off the treadmill, lol. Now it's cleaned, in position and ready to use. Tried it out yesterday and broke in my new walking shoes. Marie, thanks for the inspiration.

Off the top of my head, good luck Deanne at the Dr's today. You really are an inspiration to stick with stuch a grueling regimen in spite of the small losses.

Cynthia, I'm stuck by what a responsible pet owner you are. If only everyone took those steps to make sure their animals live out their days, loved, cared and provided for. I love your "natural" pest control. Good girl, Audreyhepburn.

Oops, my turn in the shower. Hope everyone has a great day! TTYL

Honey

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    18 years ago

MLK day is a basically a government holiday around here. I've never had it off at any place I've ever worked. Patriot's Day (ie: Boston marathon day)is a Boston area holiday. In CT they wouldn't even know what you were talking about. However, in CT alot of places close on Good Friday and I had never heard of that until I moved here. Besides vacation, the next holiday for me won't be til Memorial Day.

Marie, I don't think the miracle soup would do it for me as I'm not fond of frozen vegetables but I can see how it would be filling. I do eat snacks both in mid morning and mid afternoon-usually protein based-either yogurt or fruit and cheese. Every so often I hit a stretch of a few days where the usual food intake doesn't hack it. I think it may be hormonal. Since weight loss is not my goal and I slipped another pound or so in the past couple of weeks I need to make sure I eat enough but I'm trying to not satisfy the calorie deficit with junk food. Tonight I'll be sure to have a slice of Tom's BD cake though :).

On the pet take back clauses, I forgot to mention my rescue group has one in our adoption contract also.

Another chilly day here. I haven't been out but it was only 8 or 9 F when I came into work this morning with a high of 29 F predicted. Blue skies from what I can see. The odd part is by Friday we're supposed to be 50 F again.

Good luck with the doctor, Deanne. You're right about the advice on weight and other issues. The solution to just about everything these days is a prescription. I can't even tell you how many people I know on cholesterol and various blood pressure meds-young people in their 40s and 50s. I understand that sometimes it's not weight related but so far I haven't come across one person on these meds who doesn't need to lose weight and/or increase their activity level. Why isn't that prescribed? The general consensus seems to be to grap a handful of Lipitor and belly up to the buffet.

Sue

• cynthia_gw
    18 years ago

Hah! I've decide the best way to be organized is to have long week-ends more often. Anything is possible given the time. The sun was pouring into the kitchen this morning and I was pleased that the first coat put on chairs yesterday looked really good this morning. I'm 3/4 of the way through the second coat and decided to pause because I was getting too hasty with the little in-between sections between all the slats. Plus Rippie came over and laid down on the drop clothes way too close to the paint. I had visions of what could happen if I asked him to move and he took the wrong route :-) This was not a good time to say 'back-up' and have him get confused.

GB, your soup sounds quite good! Tomato juice is always a good way to fill up your stomach. It's what I drink on planes if I'm hungry. OJ is filling too. I think I'm up to almost a gallon a day of OJ. When I shop I buy the frozen cans 15 at a time. There wouldn't be enough room in my fridge to buy it pre-made in bottles. I get the kind with calcium, so there are all sorts of benefits. Also think the vitamin C may be especially useful in winter.

Deanne, your losses have been huge. There has to be a point where your body says 'enough already.' I thought that when you got the new trainer you were going to eat more to offset your workouts. Do you really need to lose more weight? I think you look fantastic. Remember, you have a real figure and aren't supposed to be a stick :)

GB, did you mention before that you hadn't had a hair cut since the Idyllunion? Or am I confusing things. Well, if it's been that long, can't wait to see what you have done! I must have bad hair. I can't go more than 5 weeks without looking awful. Strike that, I can look awful fresh from the hairdresser.

Martie, I didn't say I was a good painter. I actually prefer wallpapering, but fresh paint anywhere just feels like an accomplishment, and I am adept at using a razor blade to clean up my drips,runs and errors.

Honey, I'm a control freak, that's all it is :) There are pros and cons to that as I bet you know?

Jerri, what are you doing on your day off?

Ok, where's the weekly warm-up that was predicted. It's well past noon and only 35F. But the wind has stopped, so maybe it's safe to go outside again.

• gardenbug
    18 years ago

I'm back with hair that is in much better control. Doing it myself last week was a big mistake. Yes, it is true, wasn't cut since last July.

Cynthia, the Miracle soup is good for me because it is not sweet. It keeps my mind off of sugar which, I'm only guessing, I think is addictive and totally unnecessary. Orange juice would get me going again. A single orange would be better for me than juice. Sue, I'm with you on the frozen veggies, but at least they add texture. If I cook it less, then they actually are chewy. If I were smarter, I'd use real broccoli and carrots, but I can't spend time in the kitchen or I'll start grazing. I even am shifting phone time out of there and into my study. The drawback is my calendar. Having 2 of them means I forget to write things down on both. Guess who has two sets of weekend visitors coming this week by mistake? Should be interesting. I think we'll go out to eat so that I don't have to think about food. I know they'll bring a dessert too. Sigh....

Yes Deanne, I'm game to try your old Linde Armstrong. I hope your PCP is beginning to listen to you and guide to the next stage. If you told her exactly what you told us, I would think she would step to it!

And this for Martie. About camera advice, I really hesitate to be the one to offer it! First off, I'll tell you I bought a Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ20 Last year after Christmas along with a tripod, batteries, etc. I am very happy with it but have not mastered it yet. I am a slow learner and need someone to hold my hand as I progress. But I am happy with the progress I've made over my old cheaper camera, the Canon Power Shot A50.
    Basically my advice is to get out there and take pictures EVERY DAY. You will learn so much by keeping at it, and not only your technique will improve, but your composition will too. It costs nothing for the film, so no excuses. I have not done this, but there are also courses at community colleges and at our arts centre to help. I'm sure there must be some in your area too, and it is good for you, a person with such a busy life and responsibilities, to do something rewarding for yourself!

Although it is sunny here, the wind is bitter cold. It is about 16-17F, but it sure feels colder. On the weekend the wind knocked down yet another 85 year old spruce from our windbreak. It is sitting in a black walnut tree at the moment. These things make me sad. I hate to see old trees struck down, old barns fall into disrepair, old farms abandoned.

Off to launder sheets...for those two sets of company.

'bug

• gardenbug
    18 years ago

Sigh...Why do things have to get so complicated and legalistic?

Geriatric-related surveillance for their safety is going to become more common. People with certain medical conditions, such as Alzheimers, are a "Captive audience" for RFID, video surveillance, etc.
    Although people with Alzheimer's lack the legal say in the monitoring, their family member who house and care for them can have a say. But they may soon face practical and legal pressures to get Dad or Mum fitted with a bracelet.
    As the article shows, there can be questions of the caregiver's responsibility if the person with Alzheimer's wanders off. Currently, most caregivers are deemed not responsible for the wanderings. But as the active RFID bracelets are more widely deployed and used, a caregiver could be held legally culpable if Granny wanders off.
    J.D. Abolins

• michelle_zone4
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Eden, what a very pretty container.

Babs, how much stock do you have in Vicks?

Im glad Im inspiring so many to do projects.

Martie, I love the police story.

Sue, the Dr. wanted my mom to go on medication for high cholesterol. She told him that she wanted to try changing her diet. He was amazed how much she dropped it and recommended to continue her way.

I guess the roads have gotten slick and we had a little snow since I got here this a.m. Hopefully, they will be adequately salted by the time I go home.

Michelle

• deanneart
    18 years ago

Good afternoon all,

Well, GB I agree 100% - logging in to post every time has gotten old.

GB and Jerri, congratulations on your weight loss! That is fantastic!

So, Ive just gotten back from the PCP and Im done crying. Almost. The news is that my TSH levels are exactly where they should be and there is no help there. Im going to see an endocrinologist the end of the month and see if there is anything else I can do but probably not. The doc reviewed all my information. I printed out my activity logs, food logs etc. from the FitDay software and she was most impressed. She could make no recommendations to improve on what Im doing. Her opinion is that I have very little actual body fat left and what Im seeing as fat is actually skin and tissue that will NOT go away regardless of how much more weight I lost. Her recommendation was to stop trying to lose any more weight and work on maintaining my current weight and fitness level. She felt that after a year at this weight I should consider plastic surgery. Apparently all those years when I weighed in over 300 pounds I was generating more and more fat cells and those NEVER go away. They shrink but dont disappear and that is part of this whole excess tissue thing. This just isnt the answer I was looking for but I guess Id better suck it up and deal with it. Sorry for going on and on about this but I'm having difficulties believing that this is as good as it gets.

Sue, I know you dont like to eat too much at any one time but you might try eating about 4 additional ounces of whatever protein you are having for dinner. Also, have you ever had PowerBars? They pack a healthy 220 calories and are nutritionally balanced. (My PCP told me today that I knew more about nutrition and the science of weight loss than most physicians she knows including herself.)Oh yes, I forgot, my BP was 122/80. Way too cool because I normally have a much higher blood pressure at the doctors office than when Im at home. Like so many I was on BP medicine for 20 years and now with the diet and exercise dont need it. I agree that meds for elevated cholesterol and BP are prescribed instead of making recommendations for weight loss and exercise. And it seems when the weight loss becomes such an issue that the person will die unless they lose the weight they prescribe gastric bypass surgery instead of counting calories and increasing your activity level.

Holy cow, Cynthia, if I drank that much OJ Id have a sugar high. ~~ I love your description of the sun pouring into your kitchen. Cant you just feel the sun getting stronger and the days getting longer? Im sitting here at 5:00 and there is still light on the horizon! Woohoo! Bring on springtime! ~~ Turns out you are 100% correct in that my old body has said enough already re the weight loss thing. As you might have noticed Im a bit stubborn. The truth is I really, really, really wanted to be svelte like you and Sue and kept thinking if I could only just lose another 20 pounds I could get there. Well, Ive now gotten the same answer from Steve the trainer and my doctor. I just cant wrap my head around the fact that I cant get any smaller than I already am unless I have plastic surgery.

Michelle, have a safe drive home.

OK I think Im going to go shopping at the Coldwater Creek site. They are having another great sale and that always perks me up.

Have a great evening all,
    Deanne

• michelle_zone4
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Deanne, as others have said you look great. Not everyone is meant to be the same size. Look at all the height differences in people. I can understand your frustration though. Having spent the last year and a half getting to know you, I really admire your determination to change your lifestyle. I have come to realize that you are a beautiful woman both inside and outside. You know that the inside is what really counts. (Lots of beautiful people with rotten personalities) None here of course;o) Great news on your BP.

The drive home was just fine. It seems that it was all south of the direction I was going.

Yesterday we had such a nice day. It got in the 50's. The sun was streaming in our south kitchen windows. It got so warm that it started to melt some pillar candles that I had in an arrangement on the table. I couldn't believe it.

I must run. We are going to Rick's GS basketball game tonight. He is a freshman in HS. Thursday night we will go to the Y and watch Kenzie have swimming lessons. Those grandchildren sure make you busy ;o)

Michelle

• cynthia_gw
    18 years ago

If Deanne's getting plastic surgery, I'm getting plastic surgery. It's the contagious thing. I'm going to have a chin and cheek bones added and then they can pull all the skin on my face back and tie it behind my ears so that I get that wind tunnel/caught in the headlights look. Maybe we can get group rates in 2007.

So it's the sugar in the oj that makes me happy? I thought it was the vitamin C! I'm not changing.

See ya, Cynthia

PS: GB, the Granny link doesn't work. Can you provide the key words?

• gardenbug
    18 years ago

Cynthia, the link timed out I'm afraid. I cannot get it anymore. Sorry.

Can I get plastic surgery for youth? I'd pick....well actually, this is the best time right now! Can you imagine being 13 again???? Or 20 even? Why when I was at the doctor's the other day they asked the date of my last period and it was so long ago I had no idea and just told her I was grateful it was ages ago. She laughed and agreed. So Deanne my dear, do not feel sad. Don't confuse your worth with body shape, age or income. Continue to feel joy for what is good, and happy shopping and dancing! Enjoy that gorgeous wool skirt too! You are loved by one and all, so love yourself.

• babs_clare
    18 years ago

Deanne-sorry about your disappointment. As I read I couldn't help noticing all the wonderful results of your transformation. You have made yourself HEALTHIER! No matter how much weight you lose your skeleton will always be larger than Sue's or Cynthia's but your proportion of body mass to your own skeleton is very likely to be similar(or maybe better!)than the other girls. I wish you could see the greatness in that. I guess you have to do whatever makes you happiest though. I hope you cheer up-I am proud of you!

Michelle; )You're cracking me up...I guess I should have that stock in Vick's though....better research it... lol.

Yeah I agree that orange juice is loaded with sugar even if it's unsweetened. It's amazing how much weight you can put on with drinks that have some sugar-even if it's natural sugar. So why IS Cynthia so skinny?

Today Aj had a friend over-it's neat AJ and he have been friends since they were two and even though they see each other less often since they are in different schools and live 30 min. away they have remained good friends and still have common interests. Anyway,Aj's friend and our family took a hike,got drenched trying to cross a creek with slippery and not enough stepping stones, had a snowball fight, and wound things up with hot chocolate. A fun time and a very sunny day here-I think we got the beginnings of a warming trend-I think it was near 40F. I hope it drifts eastward for some of you! NOt that I want tundratic conditions but I do wish we could have steady snowcover so the plants aren't damaged by this freeze/thaw stuff for the next few months. I believe the farmer's almanac said winter would be long this year with colder temps into May. Sorry I shouldn't tell you guys that; )

Better go before I get slapped!

~Babs

• martieinct
    18 years ago

I second Sue's bbbbbrrrrrr (or third after Deanne?)

Anyway, good morning. Yesterday did an appt with a nursery owner in northern MA. When I got there (announced) he was potting up overgrown greenhouse plants and was getting ready to stop. "NOT!!!", said I. "Give me an apron and some good soap and I'll help!" Astonished look on the other side of the bench. Helper got requisite potting-up-while-in-business-clothes items. We went to town and not only did I get a second appointment to "seriously consider" advertising, I walked out with a 3' Eucalyptus and the healthiest greenhouse Rosemary I've seen in a long time for a Whopping $7.00!!!! I have a new favorite client!

BTW: I've been known to hold appts while shoveling sidewalks, standing in 18" of mud, being leaped on by small children and large dogs, and in kitchens that can only be described as H%LL hot. Anything for the client and my sense of humor :-)

Logee's is coming up and the trip is taking on a life of its own. Sure wish those of you from outside of New England could come. We need a Designated Photographer!!!! Sue? Monique? Wendy?

Martie

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    18 years ago

Martie, I'll bring my camera on Sunday. I've met most all of the CT people who are coming but I'm looking forward to meeting some of the Boston area folks who have been regular contributors on the New England forum for many years.

Count me in on the group plastic surgery-don't want to get too greedy so all I want is a B cup. Deanne, personally I think if the extra skin and whatnot is bothering you that much you should seriously consider the surgery. There are days when I wish I'd done the boob surgery 20 years ago because I hate, hate, hate how I look in most tops but at this point everything else is going south so I figure why bother...lol.

As Martie said, cold again this morning. We neglected to shovel our walkways on Sunday because we thought it would melt off the next day. Now I have sheets of ice to skittle across on my way to the garage. You should have seen me teetering across the patio to fill the bird feeders this morning-love winter, just love it. Rain and low 30s today is only going to make it worse but supposedly 45 F tomorrow so there is still hope.

I have OJ for breakfast every morning with my vitamins.

We had a nice dinner at my MIL's last night. Unfortunately she's visibly failing. At 82 she still maintains a house that she shares with her 79 year old sister-cooks, cleans, even shovels. Recently she was diagnosed with early Parkinson's. She seems very unsteady on her feet and her hearing has deteriorated. Both she and her sister are still driving which makes me a bit nervous but my BIL lives 5 minutes away and is retired so he spends alot of time at her house and can keep an eye on things. Aunt Lou, the sister is in much better shape so the living arrangement works well. Tough to get old...

OK, the salt mines are calling.

Sue

• Lara Noles
    18 years ago

Good Morning, I'm noticing that we are getting more daylight hours. Come on Spring! I've got Bella all day and I had Brad all day yesterday due to the MLK holiday so I need to get a few things accomplished this morning before she gets her. So this will be a driveby post.

Deanne, I didn't try to overwinter my caladiums this year. I've been marginally successful in the past but last year they all turned to dust. BTW, I think you look great. More importantly you feel great, that's the important thing.

Martie, thanks for the mention of Bombay Co. I had forgotten about them and we do have a store here.

Cynthia, lol on having your skin tied behind your ears. I can just picture that. You asked what seeds everyone's sowing, so here's my top ten that I'm most excited about,

adlumnia fungosa, arisarum proboscideum, begonia grandis ssp. evansiana, cyclamen coum silver leaf, digitalis parviflora, gentiana scabra, inula magnifica, nepeta nervosa pink cat, patrinia scabiosifolia, rhodochiton atrosanguineum, and tricyrtis latifolia.

Oops that's 11.

OK, a cute story then I gotta go. Yesterday when I had Eve at the vet, these two tiny little elderly ladies came in with their dog, Winston. He was a 170+ lb. elderly great dane. While the one lady went up to the desk the other sat with the dog. I could here her talking to him, "Winston, now you're just being silly. You're worrying about nothing." And so on. It was one of the cutest and funniest things I've seen there. All three of them were adorable. Eve, by the way is doing great. Your vets aren't open on Sundays huh? It is a short day for mine, 10-2.

That's it from me. Megan's got to start working more hours which means Bella will be here more and that translates to less Idyll time for me. So if I'm not around quite as much don't worry, just hanging out with Bella.

Eden

• janie_on
    18 years ago

Morning! Trying to keep up with my reading I havent had much time lately to post thoughand this is a drive-by.

Group rates for surgery Im inLOL. Ill give Cynthia one of my chins and Sue, you can have a cup of minehehehe. I need a little help for my belly and behind pleasenothing that lipo wouldnt fix.

Where are Taryn and Marian?

My moms yearly saga of pneumonia is in full swing. She has been in the hospital for a week and her team of doctors are concerned as she is not responding to any treatments. My childish father wants her to get home to take care of him.grr. Thankfully she is in the hospital just down the street from me so I can pop in when she needs me. My brother is having to deal with my dad (a good thing cause I would tell him that he is a spoiled brat!!)Oh, and to top this all off, her room-mate passed away on the weekend. Mom said I had just walked out of the room...glad I wasn't there...not too sure how I would handle that.

Freezing rain warnings out for the provinceI feel like hibernating!

Hi to all! I miss you guys!

• veronicastrum
    18 years ago

This may have to be a quick one, also. I'm out of the office for two days starting tomorrow, so I'm trying to do 5 days work in 3. So of course that's when the payroll service messes up the payroll and you have to recalculate all the reports. And the more you try to shortcut that process, the more you mess up...

We had a very nice weekend. First, the sun was shining for most of the weekend! Second, my son came home for the weekend and did a slide show on his trip to Guatemala for the entire family. He had a very good time, learned a lot about the area he was in and is very eager to return.

Okay, it's now about two hours later from when i started this post. I think it's time to say hello to everyone and you probably won't hear much from me for the rest of the week! I'll try to keep reading.

But one quick word to Deanne - I really, really think you look great the way you are!

V.

• Jerri_OKC
    18 years ago

In the spirit of togetherness that IS the Idylls, I will sacrifice my chicken neck in the Idylls Group Surgery!
    While I'm there I need a tummy tuck and eyelid lift. LOL
    V, I thought fitting this week in 4 days was tough. Good luck!

Janie, I hope your Mom recovers quickly.

I spent my day off cleaning up in my home office. I threw away 3 trash bags full of junk. I'm so happy!
    I'm still in 'declutter' mode. It will help with stress. :)

Speaking of stress - back to work...

Jerri

• honey_mi
    18 years ago

I just got off the treadmill so thot Id take a break. This cold, damp, dreary day is really affecting me. Im trying to stay busy so I dont get into food I dont need to be eating. Im going to reward myself for staying good by watching a tv show I recorded this weekend while Dh was watching football. Love that DVR.

I saw a curio cabinet at Costco Id love to buy. Took DH to see it and am hoping hell agree its worth stretching the budget for. I even measured the van and itll fit! Well see.

Eden, Im so glad Eve is doing well and I hope that continues. Im a little concerned about Bullet. He is now 9 lbs., down from 12 thats quite a weight loss in 2 yrs. As instructed, Ive been watching his eating, drinking, etc.,habits. He didnt eat much over the weekend. Since he deposited a fur ball this am, so Im hoping that is what the problem was. He just seems older and slower to me since his surgery. Im hoping its just effects from the anesthetic.

Janie, it was good to hear from you. Hope your Mom continues to do well and recovers quickly.

Marlene, don't work too hard. Those trade shows are killers. I always needed at least 2 wks. to recover -- one from the pace, the second to catch on stuff that accumulated back in the office.

Deanne, I agree w/Marlene. I think you look wonderful. Why dont you give it a rest and see of you just need to let your body catch up. I truly think that might be what's happening.

Cynthia, count me in for the group rate on a plastic surgeon. I need a full body lift, pulling everything up by my scalp, lol. I, too, love the picture I got of you and the kitties basking in the sun coming in the kitchen windows. And I know what you mean about kitties and paint. I was doing some staining touchup Sun. and a really nosy kitty was doing his best to get into it. I dont think "walnut stain" would improve his appearance at all! It's not his color. When he was a kitten, he fell into the wallpaper paste bucket. Now, that was a real mess! Yep, I know the pros and cons to the control freaky thing. As Da would say, Le Sigh!

Martie, thats great about your new "favorite client". It sounds like you make your job interesting. Cant wait to hear how the Logees get together goes. Wish I could come.

Thanks for sharing the info on your DB. I feel very badly for you having to take on that responsibility. But it has to be a huge relief to your parents. Mental illness is just so sad for everyone concerned and I wish more research was being done on it.

Babs, now why did you have to tell us that!!! Hopefully, the almanac is WRONG! Yuk to colder temps in May. I prefer to go gently into the seasons but thats not been the trend these last few yrs.

Sue, Happy Birthday to Tom! Sorry you didnt get a day off Monday.

Hi to all. Dont want to bring anyone down, so Im going to go do something for me under full spectrum light to help with this funk. TTYL, friends.

Honey

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    18 years ago

I just went out to this little ethnic market down the street called Veggie World and picked up a bunch of fruit for snacks in the office. The strawberries I passed out are almost gone and my popularity has increased. Maybe I'll wait another hour or so before going around with the clementines. At least I'm spreading health along with my good cheer today.

Sue

• gardeningmary
    18 years ago

Hi everyone

Hope I'm in time to add my wish for the plastic surgeon. At the weekend as I was getting into the hot tub 9 year old David commented that my thighs were looking very "plumpish". I must have looked rather crest fallen as he added that that was OK, it happens when you get old. So there we are, I'm old with fat thighs LOL! Honesty is a good thing, yes?

Deanne - I so agree, you are great just the way you are. Don't feel you need to change any more than you have done so wonderfully already. I bet Doug feels the same way.

Nice to see so many posters today. We just need a few missing like Marian, Ei and Woody to check in. Hope everything is well with all. GW is sctually recognizing me these days and I don't ahve to log in - yippee

Hi Honey - hope your funk lifts. I know what you mean about the weather lowering spirits - we're having the same.

Janie - do hope you Mother makes a speedy recovery.

Eden - enjoy your extra time with Bella! Glad Eve is doing well. I enjoyed your vet story.

Jerri - congratulations on decluttering. It sounds as if you are making great strides in many areas of your life. Good for you!

Babs - isn't it great when children maintain those sort of friendships! Sounds like a fun afternoon.

Martie - I don't think I had the chance to say how sorry I was to hear about the difficult time your brother is ahving. It must be a heart wrenching situation for you all. I do hope some small gains are made. You sound a wonderful support for both him and your parents. Have a fabulous trip to Logees - wish I was close enough to join you.

Hi Sue - could you pass a clementine?

On Sunday I found out that my dear friend Susan's mother had wanted me to have something of hers from the house. At first it was hard to even think about. Susan had a series of beautiful Chinese brush paintings of tree peonies I'd always admired and I realized I'd love one of those. It will be a very special as we both adored peonies, and would bring each other blossoms as soon as the tree peonies bloomed - I had pink, Susan, pale yellow. The paintings, which were done by Susan's aunt, had hung in her dining room where we shared many meals and to be able to have one above our dining table would mean so much.

Have a good afternoon and evening

Mary

PS If anyone is interested, here is Hubbie on the web, with his Award.

• martieinct
    18 years ago

I haven't read anything, yet, but couldn't resist being 100.

Martie

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    18 years ago

OMG is anybody else watching American Idol? Holy cow, most of these poor people sing worse than me and they're hanging it all out there on national TV only to be cut off at the knees. Some have been so bad I can't even watch. Why would you do that to yourself? That Simon character is one cruel dude too. He told one guy he reminds him of a wasp and just told some kid he sings line an "auntie". Egads! lol

Mary, lol on David's comment. How thoughtful of Susan's mother to give you something of hers. It sounds like you chose the perfect item. I gather Susan was Chinese and her mother not from the US? If so, what a nightmare for the poor woman. Cool hub on the web. Were you able to get flights for the kids?

OK, that's it from me for today. As I head upstairs I'm tossing you all virtual clementines. Eat them now or save them for a shot of virtual sunshine when you need it most.

Sue

• gardeningmary
    18 years ago

Talk about TV being too hard to watch - not American Idol in my case but the family favorite, Science Channel's "Dirtiest Jobs". Tonight they were replacing a pump in a sewage treatment facility - say no more! It seemed to have gross-out appeal to the males. David stopped down for a few minutes unable to sleep, and was mesmerised. He and DH enjoyed a few choice moments while I retreated.

Sue, Susan's parents had retired to Taiwan. Her Mother flew over with her sister for the funeral and Memorial service. I cannot imagine making a journey like that under such conditions, but she is made of strong stuff.

I'm turning in for the night too.

Mary