Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
martieinct

Idyll 249 Just In Thyme

martieinct
18 years ago

My first Idyll start and couldn't help the title .....

Comments (100)

• lilybelle53
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi Everyone.

I was skimming the other thread and couldn't quite figure out what is happening with gardenweb. I must be missing something. We have an alternate site? And they get to sell our photos? I am not too worried about my photos making anyhone a profit, but some of you have lovely offerings.

I'm sort of totally out of the loop here, but Deanne I loved your photo of the orchids, and GB the bulbs are a nice breath of spring here. Woody, I love your planter benches.

It sounds like you guys are going to have fun at Deannes next month. Hope tropical breezes find there way to the patio!

Michelle, I hope you are feeling better. Sometimes coughs take forever. My first week riding the Rapid I got a sinus infection/ear infection from standing in the cold and my jaw/ear is still sensitive to cold or heat. Now I stay inside and bought some ear muffs. Much better.

I have been learning how to load music onto my mp3 player. And figuring out how these music subscription services work. I had a free 30 trial to Napster, which was fun. I loaded up all the music I wanted, then one day it didn't work. I didn't realize I was sort of renting the music just for that month. Dumb I know, but then I deleted all of it and am figuring out how to put my own cds on there.
    Over the holiday break I got a lot done in the house, everything except the basement and I hope to do that during the 3 day weekend this week. Fun to have extra holidays in this job. I am pretty close to selling another house, I hope to write the contract this weekend. Licensing fees are due at the end of Jan, so I want to try to wrap this one up.

Mary, how fun to go to Hawaii! I hope it works out and that things are going better for you.

I have run out of time, but hi to all. I am trying to get Taryn's bd card ready. For some reason I can't save it as a 50K file. I think one of the kids made an adjustment to my photoshop, but they won't fess up. I can't get it any smaller than 191K. Hopefully this weekend I can get someone to help me,as they say, the check is in the mail:)

Eden, Bella is so adorable. What a cutie pie she is...

Hi to everyone! I hope you all have a lovely, supposed to be sunny:) day!

D.

• honey_mi
    18 years ago

The sun is out and its 40 degrees! Yesterday, it was close to 50 and as Eden mentioned, its supposed to stay unseasonably warm for the next 10 days. Ive allocated a couple hrs a day to plodding thru basement junk. I havent gotten to the craft/project extras yet. My, my, Im a packrat.

I had a couple hr. conversation with my friend last nite. She said she may take me up on my offer to take her to chemo treatments later this month. I hope so. Itll be good to see her and chat in person. I know Ill be shocked by her appearance from what shes told me. Shes so upbeat in the face of such a grave disease.

Hey, Sue, the plant police would take mine into protective custody, too, lol.

Cynthia thanks for the info on the dental diet. Bullet has to eat "Multi-stage Renal" for kidneys/urinary tract. So thats not an option. Persians are known for dental problems. He does get home dental care but accumulates a lot of tartar anyway. Fortunately the bill was "only" $200 b/c he didnt need extractions, thank goodness. I have to watch him closely for kidney problems this week -- so far, so good. The vet said 75% of his kidneys are diseased, common in older cats/dogs. He just turned 14 on 12/28. Thats quite elderly for a Persian. BTW, that egg poacher looks way cool. I love my eggs poached.

Thanks, Deanne, for your encouragement on the weight loss. To be honest, I think it was about more activity hauling mulch in the fall, followed by running up and down the stairs, washing walls, etc. for the holidays. I loved getting in my old jeans, so imagine how great you must feel having lost all that weight. I did gain a couple back over the holidays, but hope to continue losing. Wow, I didnt know Luke had a dental recently, too. Ouch. I had my cleaning the day after Bullet and fortunately, I didnt need any extractions, either, lol.

Oh, Im so jealous of how healthy your coleus looks! A couple of mine are hanging in there, but I killed my fav "Stained Glassworks Copper". I particularly wanted to propagate that one b/c it was redder than most and so very pretty. Perhaps next yr Ill put in some grow lights and will be able to do better.

Martie, re your request for a show stopper tree, what about a Magnolia? Or if its sited where it wont get strong afternoon sun, how about Cornus Kousa Wolf Eyes. The latter is very disease resistant. I bot one at the Variegated Plant Nursery in CT last yr. (Love that place!).

The mini idyllunion sounds so fun! V, great news that you can go. Pics, please, everyone. Deanne, will you and Doug be showing off your "moves"?

Michelle, Im so glad you went to the Dr. and got better meds. I, too, was getting concerned about you. Youve had that cough way too long. Im sure it has worn you down.

Eden, I dont believe for one minute that youre cutting back on plants this yr! Its called "denial".

((((Bug)))) Im so sorry youre sad remembering Sweet William. He sure was a cutie. I know how you feel. I miss my Patches, too, particularly this time of year. Its different going thru a Xmas season w/o having to guess which present is for which person. She loved removing all the bows and gift tags from the presents. To her, bows were the best toys. I could never get mad at her b/c she was just too cute.

Gorgeous Amaryllis! Thats professional grade photography, kiddo. BTW Im thinking of giving our treadmill a whirl, too. If I can keep up the pitching, tossing and reorg, there might actually be room to use it in the basement!

Oh, Babs, thats great you scored an Ultra Charmin multipak! So you remembered DHs TP story, huh? I got to tease mine a little last weekend and showed him how much money wed save by buying the "sandpaper" brand, lol. Hope your trip this am to the dentist goes well. I hate the anticipation of those kind of appts. Its usually worse than going.

Be careful about using an electric heater to supplement your furnace or your electrical bill will skyrocket. Itll make the gas bill look like a piker. Anything with a heating coil uses tons of electricity. Sorry, you and others are really suffering with the high gas bills. We thot wed be, too, but have been pleasantly surprised that ours is way less than in past yrs. Of course, we paid a fortune for the new hi-efficiency furnace and a/c, but getting the top of the line models were definitely worth it. We cant believe the difference in comfort and energy savings. We had to get new ones anyway and the savings has already paid for upgrading to the larger, better models.

T, thanks re the weight loss. I have to try not to go into hibernation either. Im hoping since Ive made such headway on projects, purging and cleaning that I wont get discouraged and fall into a funk only to try to eat my way out of it as usual.

Woody, great progress on that planter bench! Youve done a wonderful job. Itll look so great in your gardens.

Mary, I laughed when you made the comment about cub scouts destroying a house. It made me remember the ones Mom had at our house. Luckily, she had them in the basement workshop. Those boys were rambunctious. How fabu that youre taking the boys to Hawaii. Id love to vacation there! Hope you take lots of pix.

V, congrats on your DD being honored! How proud you must be! She sounds like a lovely girl. Im glad your DS is back safe and sound. His trip sounds very interesting and quite a learning experience (she said tongue in cheek thinking about the new girlfriend).

Sylvia, were getting an Ikea store this year. I cant wait to check it out. I hear they're great. So sorry to hear about your friend. Im sure she was very vulnerable in her weakened state. Hope shes better soon.

Drema, good luck on the house sale! Thats great news.

Wendy, re pancakes, I got a "Pancake Factory" maker last yr. I made some for my guests and they really liked this little gadget. I use the mix that only requires water and add some blueberries. Its easy and little cleanup. I love flipping them over and they come out perfect all the time. My friends say sweet potato pancakes are terrific. After dieting, I plan on trying them. See link below on the pancake maker.

I'm off to the basement. Thinking of all. Hope your day is bright and sunny, too.

Honey

• gardenbug
    18 years ago

Thyme to work on this thread again!

Chelone is OK and busy at work. I am not always able to make contact with her as her mail is sent back to me.

Freezing rain all day today. Yuck.

• babs_clare
    18 years ago

Well that was weird I just got hit in the head with a clementine...

Darn!I missed Amer.Idol: (

Mary how touching to have an item of Susan's-it sounds beautiful too. Hope you're doing well.
    I'm sorry but I LOL at what David said: ) that would deserve a dunking if he were my kid lol.

Where is Ms. Taryn?

Janie-sorry your mom is fighting pneumonia-it surely doesn't help to have your dad being needy. Hope things turn around soon.

I need the other thread to know who to talk to!

Wah-blankness between my ears; )

~BAbs

• hollyhock2006
    18 years ago

Hello, please allow me to introduce myself. I am registered as hollyhock but you may call me Grace, if you like. I first discovered you guys/gals last Fall. I would check in every now and then and the more I did the more I realized that I had so much in common with all of you. I had meant to introduce myself much earlier, but always seemed to be in a hurry and got busy with the holidays and didn't feel right butting in with some of the other goings on. So I've decided I must not put it off any longer.

I won't bore you with a story of my life so I'll just tell you that I live in So Calif. My dh and I celebrated our 25th anniversary in 2005. We have a dd who is attending college in No Calif. I work part time as a Garden Coach and take a large part of the responsibility of caring for my 90 year old mother. We have a Golden Retriever/Cocker Spaniel "pound puppy" named Beau and a Gray tabby named Fiona. I have been gardening here on our suburban lot for about 23 years and am still changing/rearranging and learn something new everyday.

Before the Plastic Surgery topic gets too old I have a funny joke to share. Please forgive me if you've already heard it.

A woman visited her Plastic Surgeon and told him she needed a face lift. They discussed her options and settled on the procedure to be performed. After the surgery the Dr explained to her that he had installed a knob on the back of her head to help maintain her face lift. He told her that when she felt her face getting a little saggy all she had to do was give the knob a little turn. Well, she thought that was just the greatest, what could be better? Eventually she started to notice bags under her eyes and no matter how much she turned the knob the bags would not go away. She paid a visit to the Plastic Surgeon and explained her problem. After examining her he informed her that she had been turning the knob way too much because those were not bags under eyes, they were her boobs!

Anyway, I am really looking forward to getting to know and sharing with all of you.

Grace

• taryn
    18 years ago

Hi Grace! And welcome! Glad there is fresh blood happening here...

Taryn

• martieinct
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey!!! I know an awesome surgeon with an awesome staff with an awesome office!!!! Put me in for a eyelid lift and a transfer of boobage from anyone who wants to go smaller to me.

When I read Deanne's posts I get the feeling tht it's not so much about how you look, but how you feel inside. It is frustrating to lose a lot of weight but not the skin that goes with it. There's also a very real clinical reason to get it done -- excess skin (especially around the abdomen) can get seriously irritated under the "flap." Many insurance companies will pay to have it removed for that very reason. Maybe it's a NE thing, but I say if you get all the right information, interview several surgeons, have the money and time, go for it!

A good friend was in a very similar situation, had a tummy tuck and arm lift and feels 1M times better. To me, she doesn't look any different except for the distinct sparkle in her eye. If you'd like, Deanne, I can hook you to up via email.

Taryn: You Live!!!! I'm So Glad!!!! Enough time has gone by that I feel comfortable asking about the house situation. Have you hired a realtor?

Marie: Thanks for the camera info. Rich needs a replacement for his business but I'm learning that my needs are very different so we'll end up getting two cameras. Your suggestions led me on a cyber-trek and a lot of info I'll take to the videographer at work who also offered to help with the selection. Very Cool to have Talented Friends!

Welcome, Grace!

Sue: The clemantine sailed right over my head (I must be shorter than Babs) and into my business bag for a 3pm pickmeup. Thanks!!!

Mary: What a perfect remembrance choice! The comfort it will bring you cannot be underestimated.

Wind and rain woke me up this morning and the 49degF temps are going to melt everything and cause flooding. Since I'm heading to the mountains, today, (supposedly 50mph gusts at 1K') I'll pack a backup outfit.

Deanne: That restaurant sounds wonderful! I'm often in Wellesley, MA and next time, I'll write to see if we can get together for an early dinner.

Eden: Enjoy your time with Bella! My mom was 800 miles away when her grandkids were that small and she often says how much she missed all the "little" things that happen. She balances it out now by knowing that they are all intelligent enough to hold a conversation, none of them have been arrested, they all have great friends and do well in school, but in her mind, "there's nothing like ending up with applesauce all over your shirt."

EEEEEeek. Must run despite the early hour. Long ride this morning on questionable roads. Everyone have an upbeat day and this if for Sue (to the tune of Everybody Loves Somebody Sometime): "Every little debit has a credit ..."

Martie

• cynthia_gw
    18 years ago

Wet, windy and warm! 57F this morning. Chance of snow later today.

I awoke with a headache. Not caused by sleeping with my glasses on. I think it was the 1 and a half lemon drop martinis that I consumed on a week-night. I went out with a friend that I haven't seen or talked with since before Xmas. She wanted to check Home Goods and have dinner and had found a new restaurant to try. We topped it off by swinging through Trader Joe's. A lovely evening in the middle of the week. I'm glad that I made the time for it.

Oh goodie, Eden is growing Adlumnia fungosa too! My Garden's North order came yesterday and that was included. I have high hopes for this one, even though I don't live in Norway. This one needs 3 months of cold, according to the packet, and think the refrigerator will be most reliable this winter. They were out of the Mirabilis multiflora that I had ordered, but found that on a new site http://www.dianeseeds.com/Index.html Nice site, pretty good selection and inexpensive.

I can't remember what else was on the other thread. Read last night and now my mind is a blank... Oh, welcome Grace! Zone 10 huh? Do you garden most of the year there? Pictures from you could help those of us in the colder zones through winter!

Have a lovely day all, Cynthia

• veronicastrum
    18 years ago

Martie, if you keep up the bad accounting jokes you'll become a liability instead of an asset. ;)

Welcome Grace, I like your sense of humor. Idyll 2007 will be in Southern California in the winter. Okay, just kidding before we scare you off!

Well, my bags are packed and I'm ready to go... on the train into Chicago overnight. Two long days at the trade show and back home tomorrow night. I don't promise to be coherent when I return.

Yikes! where did that clementine come from?

V.

• flowerluvr
    18 years ago

Mornin¡¦ all!

Sue, I don't watch American Idol, as I get intensely uncomfortable for people when they make complete fools of themselves-on TV or otherwise. I couldn't carry a tune in a bushel basket, and get SO embarrassed when I get caught singing-no WAY would I go on TV and let Simon have a crack at me, lol! Thanks for the Clementine :) I envy you the veggie place. Was commenting to Jim the other day at the grocery store about the limited selection. Even our "big town" is a small town, so produce is limited to the same old run of the mill stuff all the time. They didn't even have scallions. Would be an hour or more to anyplace that would even know what a clementine IS, let alone have them.

Mary, What a wonderful thing for you to have to remember Susan by. I have to think she would be pleased by your choice.
    We've watched Dirtiest Jobs a few times. The sewer stuff is just about more than I can take, lol! And, keep in mind, I'm not above wallowing in pig dung if the situation warrants. Somehow, there's a big difference (in MY mind, anyway) between human waste and animal waste. BLECH! I've also been known to leave the room, or concentrate really hard on my cross stitch during Fear Factor when they're eating something nasty.
    Had to laugh at David's comment on your thighs...brutal honesty, eh? Cheer up--as they get older, you get younger. Now that the kids are past 18, I'm no longer an ancient relic-just more of an antique. I understand the kids--it's the DHs that baffle me. Jim's current pastime is giving me diet pointers. And, he's a good twenty pounds past prime himself. I try my best to take it in the spirit it's intended, and not give him a poke in his Pillsbury Doughboy belly :) Poor my husband--born without any tact whatsoever. He is truly proud of my persistence, just can't think of a good way to say it. Too bad there's not an event in the Olympics for the backhanded compliment--he'd bring home the gold for sure! For example-last night we had roast turkey breast, garlic mashed potatoes, green beans and salad for supper. I had a very small helping of potatoes, and BIG piles of veggies. His remark was, "I think you're nuts for not eating more of those potatoes, but I guess it must be working for you. Seems like a waste to be able to cook, then not eat it." What he meant was that I'm a good cook, and he can tell I'm losing weight...right?

Janie-best wishes for your Mom. Sounds like your Dad must be a pill to deal with :(

Hi, Grace..good to meet you, and thanks for the chuckle first thing in the morning!

Martie-I'll share with you-how much more top-heavy do you want to be?? My DD is always complaining about getting short-changed. I point out backaches, heat rash under the bra line, etc. Besides, I can remember when I was a little kid, we lived in the country and Mom let me run around without a shirt. When I was about six or so, she informed me I was getting too old for that, and I threw a FIT. My brother didn't have to wear a shirt, why did I???? Lol, ah, the good old days! Although, I guess it wouldn't be a good idea-what a mess to get tangled up under the mower deck ;)Besides, I'd get weird tan lines on the front of my thighs..he, he! Okay, that was a really LAME saggy booby joke.

Deanne-Ditto what Martie said re the surgery. With all the hard work and diligence you've shown, I wouldn't blame you a bit if you wanted surgery for yourself. I say whatever you're comfortable with is the way to go. I'm sure Doug couldn't love you more, either way, but sometimes it is about loving yourself. Either way you decide to go, I hope you know what an inspiration you've been to this "chunky monkey"! I think of you often when I'm contemplating a "no-no".

Cynthia-I'd much rather have a headache from a weeknight outing than from sleeping with my glasses on ;) Hope it goes away soon!

What, V---you're not "leavin' on a jet plane"??? Good luck at the trade show!

Not much new here. Still eating right, and slowly peeling off the pounds. Night before last, we had burgers and fries. BAD idea, as I had my burger on a bun and the whole nine yards. Woke up yesterday feeling bloated and hung over. Ate all the right things yesterday, and today I was awake at 5:00, feeling great. I've got a sister and a niece doing the same thing, and they're thrilled. We come from a chubby family, and most of us love to cook. Currently, I'm infatuated with Emeril, and tweaking some of his recipes so I can eat them. I've found that since I get the one really good meal, I want it to be REALLY good. Just wish there was a good source locally for fresh produce. My mind is already whirling with what veggies I'm going to plant in the raised beds next year. I'm glad that at least I like salads. Will take me a really long time to get sick of them. We've even got kale in the fridge for the first time ever. That's on the menu for tonight. Jim's got one of my crisper drawers full of BAIT, and I refuse to put anything I'm going to eat in a drawer full of maggots, no matter HOW tight their containers are. Hindsight is 20/20--should have gotten him a mini-fridge to keep his stuff in down in the basement.

Okay, I'm outta here. Another session of Animaniacs and the treadmill awaits me.
    Brenda

• deanneart
    18 years ago

Morning all,

Well it is pouring rain here today. So the snow we got a couple days ago is going to be gone by the end of the day. What a weird winter. I still havent had time to pick up a paintbrush yet this year and really have to get to it. Ive got a lot of things on the agenda that need to be accomplished.

Thanks everyone for all the good thoughts. I do appreciate it. Ill be saving up my pennies for my tummy tuck. I think it will be a lot more fun since this is going to be group plastic surgery. LOL I wonder if we got tables side by side they could do an instant transplant from the triple Ds to the gals who want a bigger cup size. Te he All kidding aside though, Doug wanted to know how come health insurance will pay for gastric bypass surgery, then because of the rapid weight loss most of those people have to have the skin removed and the insurance pays for that but when you do it without the surgery, lose it slowly, stay healthy so the extra skin doesnt cause infections, health insurance wont pay to have the excess tissue removed. So what is the incentive to lose weight through diet and exercise instead of gastric bypass? Something is wrong with the system.

Babs, I love the story of AJs friend and everyone getting drenched crossing the creek. Sounds like a lot of fun and the things memories are made of. Ill bet Aj remembers that day for the rest of his life.

Sue, you look terrific in whatever you wear. You are my ideal body type. I cant imagine that you hate what you look like in tops. Maybe Ill think about this for a while. I wonder if the Victorias Secret models hate something about their appearance also? ~~ Sorry Toms mom has Parkinsons. That must be difficult for everyone involved but 82 and still living in her own home is no small feat. Glad to hear Aunt Lou lives with her and is still doing well. ~~ Love the virtual fruit throwing thing. Thanks I needed a bit of sunshine yesterday.

Eden, love your seed list and thanks for the info on your success or lack thereof with wintering over caladiums. If you arent successful with them I dont think Im going to try again. You get dust and I get mush. ~~ I love the story about the ladies and their dog. How fun.

Jane I sure hope your mom gets well soon and that they dont send her home too soon. If they do she will probably start catering to your dad and set back her recovery.

V hope your busy week isnt too stressful. ~~ Your sons slide show from Guatemala sounds so interesting. Neat that he wants to go back.

Honey, you hit the nail on the head, I need to give it a rest! LOL~~ How is Bullet doing today? Hope he is eating more and improving. Surgery is pretty tough on the older guys.

Mary, Oh dear! I cant believe David told you that and then said it was OK because you are getting old! Oh dear, oh dear!!!! Id have probably locked myself in my room and cried for an hour. Everything is relative because you look perfect to me. And I dont think you are getting old either. Jeesh, I do remember thinking my parents were old when I was six or so and that would have made my mom 26 LOL ~~ RE the peony painting. What a very special treasure to remember your friend by. ((((Mary)))) ~~~ What a great photo and article about your DH. Fantastic! Kudos to him. Have you gotten all your reservations squared away?

Sue, I cant watch American Idol, the public humiliation horrifies me. ~~ Now, Mary, on the other hand I LOVE that Discovery show Dirty Jobs. Mike Rowe is hysterical and it sure has given me something to think about. Some of those things you never even realized were jobs that someone had to do.

Cynthia, sounds like you had a fun time. I always love a trip to Home Goods and then to top it off with Trader Joes and martinis? Well that sounds about perfect to me.

Martie, you are 100% correct about the feeling good inside about yourself. It is a weird and subtle thing. Interestingly factoid, I lost the weight slowly enough so that the excess skin doesnt actually hang there, its just there and makes me look like Ive got a belly when in fact my abs are rock hard which drives me nuts. Ive never had infection problems with it because I lost the weight so slowly some of the excess actually went away. Anyway, my insurance wont pay for it because I dont get infections. It is strictly an appearance issue with me. And yes, Id love to talk to your friend about her surgery. Pretty scary for me as Ive not had surgery since I had my tonsils out when I was 5 years old. ~~ Definitely call if you are in the area and want to hit Surf for dinner. They are only closed on Monday evenings.

WELCOME Grace!!! You are going to fit right in here. ~~ LOL about the plastic surgery joke. Id heard that one too but the punch line was about her beard. Ahem

Brenda, great to hear from you and I totally understand about Dhs making unhelpful diet comments. When Doug would be eating the pasta or whatever, Id be eating a pile of fresh veggies with the tomato sauce instead of pasta and hed say that I probably wasnt losing any weight because I was eating such a large portion of broccoli! LOL Grrrr Also, his most famous, when I asked him if I looked like I was 53 on my Bday last year he asked me, "Whats wrong with looking your age?" Arrrrgggghhh!!!!! I had to explain to him he really should have lied rather than coming out with that remark. ~~ Anyway, I had to nod my head in agreement when you described having a food hangover! That exact thing happens to me if I eat foods that are too high in fat, sugar or have too much salt etc. People look at me strangely if I tell them Ive had a food hangover so I totally understand what you mean.

OK time to run, jeesh I take one day off here and it takes an hour to catch up.

Off to the gym,

Have a great day all,
    Deanne

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    18 years ago

Welcome Grace! We can always use some new faces here. Glad you decided to come out of lurkdom. Gardening, pets, humor...you've already got the major bases covered. You don't join this group hoping to stay anonymous though. We will eventually show up at your house, trust me...lol

Speaking of showing up at someone's house, did we scare T off with threats of a 2007 PNW idyllunion? OK, T, you can come out now, we're going to CA instead.

It's 57 freakin' degrees F here this morning and very windy. Who stole January? I mean I can see a couple of abnormally warm days in a month but we've only had a few normal cold days and it's the 18th already. Looks like low 40s and sunny for Sunday-great GW winter gathering weather.

Martie, did you remember my auditors were coming in today? I can't believe I forgot the remote control fart machines. Hope they remember theirs. I gather you've figured out by now that V is a finance type also, as is Cynthia.

Babs, you were supposed to catch the clementine.

Mary, your science program just reminded me of some funny memories that happened during a camping trip we took in the mid 70s. My uncle lives in San Diego and every so often we would all go out there for group family vacations. In 1976 we went for a month and took my uncle's motorhome up the coast to San Francisco and back. I think it was my mom, my aunt and about 10 kids. The men knew better. Occasionally the holding tank needed to be dumped and it was always an adventure. Somewhere outside of San Quentin the hose let loose during the process and covered my aunt with raw sewage. Try not to laugh at something like that when you're 16. It was disgusting but you couldn't stop watching. At one other place, the hose clogged and my mom and aunt had to stand and massage it along to get it moving again. I remember them laughing so hard while they were doing that that they were crying. That was one memorable trip.

Brenda I have 3 brothers and used to run around without a shirt too. I probably still could and still blend in since many of the men I see nowadays need manssieres. lolol

OK, I think it's time for me to cut out of here. Enjoy!

Sue

• chloehoover
    18 years ago

Hi Grace, welcome love the joke!! Im not a regular I seem to just pop in now and then too but its a great bunch of people they dont hold popping or lurking against ya!

I confess Im a bit bemused w/ the 2 different threads and not sure whats happening where how now. . . . got my drift? I think Im idyll-challenged but Im trying "JUST IN THYME. . . ."

Deanne Im sorry youve gotten to the point where youve got to either go surgery route or re-adjust the real-time image of yourself in your head as Im sure many have told you, you look gorgeous but probably not the "gorgeous" you personally had envisioned bones, cells, etc., just are not cooperating but you are probably sooooo fit and sooo healthy and there is a sparkle in Your eyes too so maybe you need to visit that therapist first you thought of before you go the plastic surgery route? Im such a weenie when it comes to cutting on ones self I dont frown on it if thats what a person chooses but ouchie, ouchie it hurts a lot from everything Ive heard and not everything always goes just right I know a woman whos gone for a simple eye lift and had to go back 3 times because the surgeon didnt get it "right". . . .. So, as Martie advises, check it out big time before you leap. Personally, I think youre a tremendous gorgeous looking person and a real role model for the rest of us thin or chubby! And I think youve figured out none of us are happy with our perceptions of our bodies including those Victoria Secret models!

Brenda youre really in the power loser category with all that weight & willpower of cooking for someone else but not indulging!! Gardenbug too I am so encouraged that youve lost 10 lbs already I have started some of the miracle soup and trying to get in the swing of it have not hit the treadmill yet I dont know what my problem is I have one and not taking advantage of it! But I am determined this year so . . . .. (& Brenda p.s. Id have a Really hard time putting any food in the frig where theres bait & maggots! ugh buy that guy a freezer!)

Eden, its such a pleasure hearing you take such wonder in Bella I hope to be that kind of a grandma some day myself my mother never took much interest in my own DD and Ive vowed not to be like her

Hey Cynthia I woke with a terrible headache too I think its this wacky weather that we got the warm front in and in a few hours theres a cool front but its killing my head!!! And I got my January heating bill and was really depressed in spite of having turn the thermostat down more than 8 degrees during the evening & more at nite (where Im doing the pioneer thing w/ piling up the clothes & blankets to suffer) and nothing to show for it the therms were higher than last months(?uh?) and of course the prices was a whopping double higher!!

I had to work a long day on MLK day altho it was a firm holiday but my boss got a new client (high profile kind of thing) and we had to swing into action so I ended up working 9 hours that day so this week is in full swing for me and Im missing my day off!

Janie I hope your Mom pulls thru its tough but Im so glad shes just a short distance away so you can pop in all the time Ive had to go 3 hours away when my moms been in the hospital and thats been really exhausting running back & forth on the weekends. But it's so important to have family members at hospitals -- the patients just do not get the right care otherwise.

And I know Ive missed about another 5 people but Ive got to get back to work hope everyone has a pleasant and uneventful day (I have learned to love "boredom").

-Cindy

• Lara Noles
    18 years ago

It rained all day yesterday and now we've got snow. I greatly dislike winter.

Sue, I have a little clementine tree I started from a seed a couple of years ago. It's a slow grower though, only about 10" tall.

Janie, hope your mom's doing better and your dad wises up.

Cynthia, bad girl, sharing that new seed site, lol. I see a few things that look interesting. May have to place a small order later today.

Hi to everyone else and welcome to Grace. Glad to have you here.

Gotta go, it's Bella time.

Eden

• michelle_zone4
    18 years ago

Welcome Grace. Its nice to have new faces here. Dont let Sue scare you off, well let you get to know us before we show up at your door. LOL

DD called this a.m. to tell me that Kenzie is sick. 102 temp and a cough. She will take her in today. Poor baby.

The weatherman said this a.m. that this is the 29th day in a row with above normal temps and he expects to hit 40 days with what the future forecast is showing.

Last night I gave the bathroom its 2nd coat of paint. The color is certainly dramatic. I am one of those people that are afraid of color, but I am trying to get over that. After all its just paint. Hopefully, tonight I can convenience Rick to put up the new light fixture and the exhaust fan/light.

Mary, how nice that you will have such a special reminder of Susan. Cool article about your DH.

Sue you are sure in a good mood this a.m. considering you have auditors coming.
    Darn, Rick is such a fruit lover that he caught my clementine. My bosses 85 year old father brings us treats to the office, his latest offering is peanut brittle. Hes not worried about our diets.

I havent seen American Idol or Dirtiest Jobs. I watch very little TV anymore. Usually HGTV when I do.

I know I have said it before, but for those who want to turn the thermostat down at night, get yourself a good down comforter. We love ours. We have it down to 60 at night and are thinking maybe we should go lower as we often get hot. The great thing is that you dont need piles of blankets.

Deanne, "Something is wrong with the system" you have that right. Our insurance just quit paying for physicals. Doesnt make sense to me.

Janie, I hope your mom is feeling better soon. Hopefully, they keep her in the hospital long enough for her to get a good rest.

Eden, your little clementine tree reminds me of when I was a child and was always trying to grow oranges, grapefruits and avocados. I guess that was the start of gardening for me.

Have a fabulous day
    Michelle

• deanneart
    18 years ago

Holy moly!!!! I think I'm going to get blown away and wind up at GB's. We are having sustained 40MPH winds with some gusting up to 60 or 70MPH... The Blue Hills Observatory recorded gusts over 85MPH... Hurricane force winds, crazy...

One of my bird feeder stands has blown over.

The coast of Maine is supposed to be getting worse winds. Hope Chelone is OK...
    Martie, hope you aren't driving in this today.

OK I guess I'd better see if I can get to the grocery store without blowing away. Stay safe all.

Deanne

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    18 years ago

Deanne is right-it is nasty out. In a poor strategic move I didn't bring my lunch today and just had to run out. It's raining and the wind is whipping the rain around. Temps have dropped into the low 50s. Half the traffic lights are out of order. What a mess. My first choice for lunch was Panera but I decided to go with drive through so I wouldn't have to get out of the car and ended up with roast beef sandwich from Roy Rogers and a most delicious navel orange left over from my foray to Veggie World yesterday.

The auditors stood me up. One of the partners sent me an e-mail just before lunch saying something to the effect that he was planning to come tomorrow and Friday and now can only come Friday. It's a good thing I still had his original e-mail that said he was coming on the 18th and 19th so I could use it in my initial response. I told him Friday would be fine-I'd pencil him in but was unfortunately unable to reschedule the welcoming committee. What a schmatz.

The boss went home sick. He was wearing out the carpet from his office to the bathroom. Why someone would come in at all if they felt like that is beyond me-especially when they have a 45 minute ride. Now I have nobody to pick on. To alleviate my boredom I decided to upload 2006 budget numbers into our accounting system. Wahoo!

Sue

• gardenbug
    18 years ago

The freezing rain and wind melted overnight but now we have snow. Deanne and Sue, take note because you probably get whatever I've got the next day.

Here is what the wind did to one of our spruce in the windbreak: (This IS a colour photo!)
    {{gwi:147827}}

And this is from the front window today.
    {{gwi:147829}}

And this I thought would amuse Michelle. DS's friend took this photo in Chile not long ago.
    {{gwi:147830}}

• wendy2
    18 years ago

Good windy evening! The winds have actually died down here, but it was a real "blustery day" here earlier.

The guys in my house like the Dirty Jobs show too. My DS wishes that we had a septic tank so that the Honey Wagon would come to empty it. During the episode about the worm farm they went into great detail about how the worms ummm... propagate... and I was trying to signal my DH to change the channel or at least hit the mute button, but he was lost in fascination too. Luckily it went right over my son's head. The host does have a dry sense of humor, he cracks me up.

Michelle, glad to see you are feeling better. Janie, hope your Mom recovers quickly.

Hi Grace, and welcome! I was new here not long ago, and I still find it hard to keep up sometimes, but this group is a lot of fun. I love California. We took a trip up the Pacific Coast Highway with my grandparents when I was in junior high, it was just breathtaking. By the way, what is a Garden Coach? I have visions of someone urging the gardener to pull just a few more weeds, spread that mulch a bit faster...but I'm sure I'm way off.

Have to run, Town Meeting is on in the other room - they are discussing traffic improvements near me, which is a good thing, but it is in connection with a developer that wants to put in a mall down the street, and that's probably not so good.

Later!

-Wendy

PS - Martie - I'll bring my camera too on Sunday, but I'm still learning...I plan to take GB's advice and just take as many pictures as I can.

• gardeningmary
    18 years ago

Good evening

Welcome Grace - its fun to have interesting new people join us. I too would love to know what a garden coach does.

Sue - your camping memories were very funny. Nothing like a little outhouse humor to make a trip memorable!

GB - your pictures made me shiver. You're a few degrees colder than us as we're still having mostly rain - yuk.

Oooooh - was that Deanne who just went flying by?

Cynthia - Lemon drop martinis? They sound delicious. Can you share the recipe?

Brenda - I've been thumbing the seed catalogs too this year for veggies. The pickling cukes, tomatoes and hot peppers we grew last year were such a hit with the children I'm expanding the veggie plot. I actually love growing things to eat, but the abundant and hungry wildlife discouraged me here. However, I'm going heavy on the herbs and onion family, will intermingle eggplants and squash with the perennials, and keep the rest within our pool fence - fingers crossed something will be left for us.

I had a thrill this morning when I checked on the pond. It was one of the few times the ice had comletely melted and I caught a glimpse of 5 of the 6 fish swimming slowly at the bottom. The pond had frozen over before I was able to get the supplemental winter pump going, and although I went out with buckets of water to melt a hole, there were quite a few days over the holidays when I didn't make it. The pond is too deep to freeze completely, but a build up of gasses can kill fish. Luck seems to have been on our side. How are your Koi doing Deanne? and I wonder about Sylvia's.

The good news of today was that we were able to book the requent flyer tickets to take Annie and David with us, and we are all heading to the Big Island of Hawaii on Feb 16th. I can't quite believe it. The first class tickets had to stay in our names, (yippee!) but I think the kids are old enough to manage in coach together. We have a couple of hide-a-beds for the hotel room, and I've just started reading about the island. There are some very cool sights, including Volcano National Park, botanic gardens, whale watching and snorkelling.

But before I get too carried away I need to head to the kitchen to finish dishes. Stay warm everyone.

Mary

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    18 years ago

No snow in the forecast here. The rain and wind have cleared out. Tomorrow it's supposed to be 40s F and sunny-still extremely unusual weather for January.

Wendy I forgot you were coming on Sunday also. This should be fun. Besides the thrill of the Logee's tour and chance to be in a greenhouse environment I think everyone is really going to enjoy the lunch at the Vanilla Bean Cafe. Cool place.

Mary, I have lots of funny stories about the '76 CA motorhome trip. We stayed in all sorts of crazy places and saw all sorts of things. In her younger days, my aunt was one heck of a tour guide. Just before Tom and I got married in 1989, we took a trip out there with my mom and a good friend of the family and went on yet another motorhome excursion through Laughlin, NV and Palm Springs. More funny stories...unfortunately my aunt and uncle have reached the age where they no longer have motor homes or do much traveling.

OK, I need an on-line shopping intervention. Tonight I came home to boxes piled up on the kitchen counter and Tom with this look like I've gone off the deep end. I do see that look quite often but not usually associated with the day's mail. The truth of the matter is places are almost giving stuff away right now and if I see something I like for cheap, I order. Once I started showing him how much I was paying for stuff he relaxed somewhat...lol. For instance one of the items was a gorgeous cable v-neck sweater from Eddie Bauer, original price $59.50, my price $12.59. See my point?

Mary, we're going to miss you at Deanne's party next month but it sounds like you'll be making your own "thumb your nose at winter" memories. What fun!

Oh geez, Tom is sputtering up a storm downstairs. Apparently Zoe's grazing in the newly exposed lawn just caught up with her and she puked all over his TV room. I think I'll just stay put until he gets it all cleaned up. Last week I got stuck with Nick duty for the same type of thing so it's not my turn.

That's it for tonight. Sweet dreams to you all.

Sue

• cynthia_gw
    18 years ago

Sue is bad influence, but saving me money. Just went to Eddie Bauer and bought two pair of the TALL button front jeans for $15.99 each!!! They're usually $54 and were on sale for 19.99 before the coupon. Why would they put standard issue stuff on sale? Anyway, if any of you go shopping at Eddie B, use the coupon code 'welcome' to get extra 20% off of the discounted price. Nice sweater Sue, but they were out of the off-white. Bought two pair of leather gloves for $15.99 each too.

GB, I kind of miss the snow and really loved your pictures. (But I don't want any snow.)

Mary, I read the article about your husband at the link, but was disappointed that I couldn't find the pictures! Are they not posted there, or would I have to join to see them? It is so perfect that you have that trip to look forward too.

Ok, it's too late for me, gotta go soak my neck in the tub, and shoulders are hurting from too much work. These short weeks are killers.

'gnight all, Cynthia

• gardenbug
    18 years ago

From a friend:

During a BBQ a friend stumbled and took a little fall - she assured
    everyone that she was fine (they offered to call paramedics) and just
    tripped over a brick because of her 'new shoes' They got her cleaned up and
    got her a new plate of food - while she appeared a bit shaken up, she went
    about enjoying herself the rest of the evening. Her husband called later
    telling everyone that his wife had been taken to the hospital - (at 6:00pm,
    she passed away.) She had suffered a stroke at the BBQ - had they known how
    to identify the signs of a stroke perhaps she would be with us today.

A neurologist says that if he can get to a stroke victim within 3 hours he
    can totally reverse the effects of a stroke. He said the trick
    was getting a stroke recognised, diagnosed and getting to the patient
    within 3 hours, which is tough.

Remember the "3" steps.
    Sometimes symptoms of a stroke are difficult to identify. Unfortunately the
    lack of awareness spells disaster. The stroke victim may suffer brain
    damage when people nearby fail to recognise the symptoms of a stroke. Now
    doctors say a bystander can recognise a stroke by asking three simple
    questions:

1.Ask the individual to SMILE.
    2.Ask him or her to RAISE BOTH ARMS.
    3.Ask the person to coherently REPEAT A SIMPLE SENTENCE like "Is it sunny
    out today?"

If he or she has trouble with any of these tasks, call 9-9-9 immediately
    and describe the symptoms.

After discovering that a group of non-medical volunteers could identify
    facial weakness, arm weakness and speech problems, researchers urged the
    general public to learn the three questions. They presented their
    conclusions at the American Stroke Association's annual meeting last
    February. Widespread use of this test could result in prompt diagnosis and
    treatment of the stroke and prevent brain damage.

• hollyhock2006
    18 years ago

Wow. Thank you all so much for the warm welcome.

Cynthia, yes I live in zone 10, but that is kind of vague.
    We tend to use the Sunset designations since we have so many micro-climates. We do garden year-round, but because of that I like pace myself. I plan what I want to accomplish for the year and then break it down into seasons. I do grow veggies year-round. In the winter I grow mostly lettuce, snow peas and green onions because those don't do well at all here during the summer.

V - While I do admit to being shy, you guys don't scare me one bit. I hope you have a good week and don't have too much to deal with when you get back.

Deanne - I like your punchline better than mine! I also have to tell you how much I admire you for what you've accomplished. I think you look great, but you are the only one who truly knows how you feel and if plastic surgery is something that you want to do for yourself then I think you should.

Michelle and Brenda - I really enjoy hearing about your farms. Both my parents were raised on farms and I have many fond memories of summer vacations there.

For those of you who asked, a Garden Coach is part Landscape Designer, part teacher. Initially I had thought my target client would be first-time homeowners who need to redo or start from scratch and don't know where to begin, but as has been pointed out on recent threads on GW they busy working and raising families. My best clients are empty nesters or retirees who have the time and a little means to accomplish what they want to do.

After interviewing a client and drawing out of them their likes, dislikes, wants, needs, dreams, etc. I design a garden for them and draw up a planting plan with key. I give them complete planting instructions along with a maintence schedule. Sometimes they like to work in phases, other times they do it all at once. I do my best to meet their needs while preventing, sometimes costly, mistakes. After the plans are delivered and everything is gone over I am available on a consultation basis. This is when I teach them about gardening, proper pruning techniques, fertilizing, mulching etc. As you can probably
    tell, I am passionate about what I do and I have developed some very rewarding relationships with some of my clients.

Well, I think I have probably told you more than you wanted to know, so that's it for me tonight.

Hello to everyone that I missed.

Grace

• martieinct
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I'm back to upright after braving the winds yesterday. On the road, watched a truck jackknife and my client lost a '77 Corvette to a tree falling in the middle of our meeting. Rather than go even further uphill and north, went back to the office until I stopped shaking. Today, all is well.

Here's a great septic tank company story: In college I met two guys who had been friends forever. They were business majors (like me) but one of them was set to take over his uncle's business. The business was septic tank pumping. It had some boring name and tag line. One night after exams when we were all "relaxing" we came up with the name "Four Aces Cleaning" and the tag line "A Straight Flush Beats a Full House All The Time." Though it wasn't Cynthia's martinis, the libation of choice that night helped with the creative :-)

There are so many of us with family in not-well situations. It is good to have so much cyber and real support, here. Before I get mushy and the keyboard ends up with tears on it, know that the good thoughts are appreciated, and sent, with affection.

Deanne: I'll call my friend today, get her to your Member Page, and have her email you. She's a hoot, her name begins with L., and you'll have a lot to talk about.

Weight loss is a strange thing. 25 years ago I weighed 40 pounds more than I do now, lost it over time with a change in eating habits, looked and felt 100% better, and now I'm challenged with trying to gain weight. My high cholestrol, fortunately, keeps me honest with veggies and other good stuff that I love, but try to put ON 5 pounds while watching saturated fat. The point, here???? The Victoria Secret models have nothing on us!!!!

Mary: Lots and lots of pictures, please!!! Can plants be brought to the mainland from Hawaii?

Yes, Sue, I knew the auditors were [supposed] to come and gained realization that there are others here who work with $$s and numbers. To graduate, I needed 24 credits of Accounting and got pretty good at it, but I like "what the numbers mean" far more than scheduling fixed assets or capital fund investments. Leave me to the road and kudos to those of you who stay in the office so I don't have to :-)!!!!

Ends up this has been a lot about me, but I so enjoy waking up with all of you. Can't wait for Logees and Deannes and the seed order I just *had* to put in from Cynthia's link. So much for growing only the standard bone plants this year. LOL

Martie

• Woody_Canada
    18 years ago

OK, I can't resist on the bathroom (?) humor ... Martie - I liked your tag line for your friend's business. It reminded me of the slogan on the back of a septic tank pumping truck we were driving behind in Barbados years ago (when I was auditing there...:-) It said 'We're No. 1 in the No. 2 business'.

Nice to 'meet' you, Grace...

Damp and green here - I'm getting worried about winterkill when winter inevitably returns. I'm afraid trees might be hard hit if all this warm weather has caused sap to start rising. A fast freeze could then cause a lot of split bark/trunks.

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    18 years ago

Cynthia, I got the sweater in lime green and it's actually very nice-great with the tall black jeans I got from Ann Taylor Loft-$49 marked down to $19.99. Last week Eddie Bauer had a take 30% off the already marked down price and I also scored a pair of western zip boots. It is time to stop though. The spring stuff is out everywhere and heaven forbid I should be tempted by full price items. BTW, got any secret codes for Eddie Bauer outlet?

Good, I see we didn't scare Grace off.

Well I have a full plate this morning and have to run. If you're in the northeast, enjoy yet another March day in January-45 F and sunny today.

Sue

• flowerluvr
    18 years ago

Mornin'!

Deanne--what's wrong with looking your age?? Nothing, if you're 19, lol! I'm kidding, I'm comfortable with my age..outside of the moustache I'm suddenly sprouting. I told my beautician last time that I'm going to end up coming in there every couple of weeks, she can dip my whole face in wax, and do a peel off mask. I'm reminded of the moustache my grandma had...and it HURTS when you tweeze those hairs! All in all, a husband needs to learn when to lie! For what it's worth, I would not have guess that you are 53.
    Glad you understand about the "food hangover"! I thought some of this stuff had to be my imagination. Weight loss aside, I can't remember when my skin has looked this good, especially in the winter. Gotta be the healthy oils and all the water I'm drinking. I've also had a couple of people mention that my eyes sparkle. Must be the feeling good thing. Whatever, it all adds up to "Life is good!!" :)

Sue-Love the motorhome stories! I was fortunate as a kid to be surrounded by grown-ups with a great sense of humor. I think that makes a big difference in who you turn out to be. I've never been afraid to laugh at myself...and I give myself plenty of material, lol!
    Manssieres??? I thought it was the bro ;)
    Gosh, ya NEVER tell someone who's losing weight about an online sale, lol! We've had boxes flying in the door right and left, too. The weight loss has given me a new interest in shopping for clothes. I think I'm about to wear out my old stand-by line when Jim asks me what something costs. I respond with, "Less than your fish house....have you used that yet?" Shuts him down pretty quick, but since I've been using that for over a year, I may need to come up with something else.

Cindy-I'm going to have to tell the kids that you called me a power-loser..they'll laugh their fool heads off :) They've been telling me what a loser I am for years, lol! I've had a really nice treadmill for a couple of years now, and for the most part, it's been ignored. I'm enjoying using it now, though.
    RE-maggots in the fridge. Well, you want to be prepared when you open a margarine container around here, is all I gotta say. I just remembered that somewhere around the farm is a small fridge that we used to use for pig medicine. Gonna have to find that baby...I need my crisper drawer back!

Michelle-what's the word on Kenzie? Poor little sick cutie-pie!
    Did you get your light and fan installed?

Mary, I can only imagine how far Jim's eyes roll back in his head when I decide I need to expand the veggie garden. Just a year ago, I downsized it to two raised beds...now I'm wondering if that was wise.....
    I'm SO happy for you that you guys get to go to Hawaii! We'll be looking forward to all the details!

BTW, Sue, Sarah ralphed all over the rug in front of the kitchen door. She almost made it out. I need to improve my running time, I guess. Maybe it's that two second delay when I'm thinking, "is that dog gonna puke?" Just assume they are and run like crazy.

Bug-Once again, great pictures! And, thanks for posting the questions. I have a brother who had two strokes at a pretty young age. Even the doctors didn't know at first that's what was going on. He was fortunate and didn't have too many lasting effects. Nothing physical, and his speech is only affected when he's really tired. He has mentioned that his reading comprehension isn't what it used to be. That's really the saddest thing, as we're a family of readers.

Grace-Sounds like you've got a wonderful job, although I'm sure it has it's days.

Martie-great line for the septic folks! Amazing what a little "cranial lubricaton" will do, isn't it??

Glad to hear that the wind died down in the NE last night. They had a couple of clips on the news...what a mess!

Have a good day, all!
    Brenda

• chloehoover
    18 years ago

Gardenbug those pics re the tree so scarey! Who in the world do you get to cut fallen trees down for you? Here in the Washington area, its terribly expensive it can run anywhere from $600 upwards (& $600 is cheapo) do you guys do yourselves? And re the stroke questions Id recently seen that info and thought wow, how simple and important and vowed to try to remember those questions. Since I seem to be in line for a possible stroke w/ my genetic makeup etc and feeling like Im a clone of my mother who suffered a severe one 2 years ago, I find Im kind of haunted by the idea of having one myself now hence my vow to try to lose weight and get fit, finally . . . . so I forwarded those questions to family and relatives for them to remember for me!!!!!

Michelle I agree with you re the down quilts I bought one myself a few years ago and its wonderful my loverly dog Chloe cuddles in it too at nite but brrrr. . . . I still hate getting out of it in the morning when the house is under 60 degrees thats when one really hops around quickly!

Grace thats so cool a Garden Coach I meant to ask too thats really neat do you charge by the hour or by the project just curious. . . . I dont believe Ive heard of anything like that in this area most places you have to go to a nursery where theyll consult for a per hour rate (usually w/ a minimum set of $150) and/or a landscape designer, which is of course big bucks.

Sue all I can tell you is Ive had a keychain for decades that says "Born to Shop" and believe me, finding the internet has become a huge problem for my credit cards! The whiff of a bargain - aaah. almost as good as coffee in the morning.

Im envious of you guys going to Logees I get their catalogs and salivate every time really want to try growing some citrus and jasmine but think Im gonna wait to check the plant "budget"... plus Im really challenged to find places in the winter I only have one good south-facing window & everything live ends up in front of it which makes for a pretty crowded area in the winter.

Alrighty gotta hit the reality board here.
    -Cindy

• michelle_zone4
    18 years ago

We did get the light fixture above the vanity put up last night. We also hung the new mirror and robe hooks. We didn't get the light/exhaust fan put up, but then I usually plan more than what can be accomplished.

We were supposed to have freezing rain last night, but it missed us:o)

Cindy, we have a programmable thermostat that raises our heat before we get out of bed. I think I am rather spoiled.

Brenda, thanks for the a.m. laugh. I believe the weight loss is giving your personality extra sparkle ;o)

Sue, I love to wear lime green. I just bought a new sweater this fall and it looks great with black. I also bought a cool bracelet and earrings that have a black finish with lime colored stones.

I am loving the septic humor.

Mary how wonderful that the whole family will enjoy Hawaii together. We always vacationed with our kids because I realized how quickly those years go. Im glad that all is well in your pond.

Grace, your job sounds very rewarding.

Marie, thanks for the info on strokes. LOL do you think old TVs would make interesting garden art. Gardening is one of the things that has lessened my TV time. Bummer about the tree. It looks like a fairly large one.

Deanne, maybe the wind will switch and send GB your way for your party.

Enjoy the day
    Michelle

• janie_on
    18 years ago

Afternoon I am going to be a bad idyller and post all about meLOL..I only have enough time while the oven cleaner is working. I am feveriously cleaning for my MIL to come tomorrow while Brad and I go on our mini-vacation. Anyone want to lend a hand?

Good news is coming in all over today!

I am officially off the nasty straight afternoon shiftwoohooa family life again!

My mom was released from the hospital this morning.ya!! But we are going to have to keep a close watch on her for awhile to see that she doesnt overdo it!!

My little man is going to be a published authorand is he a proud little peacock! He had to do a poem for class and the teacher submitted it to a contest and now it is going to be published in a hard-cover book. It is as followsLOL

My Place Is

Down in the basement
    Thats where I hang out.
    My computer is there
    It is my favorite thing
    Next to the computer
    The playstation is waiting
    Some games to keep me happy.
    And out of Moms hair.
    I could live in the basement
    If someone brought me food.

My favorite place is at home
    And my favorite room is the family room.

Brady W
    Grade 6

Ok my timer is going off back to the cleaning

• deanneart
    18 years ago

Afternoon all,

Im being a bad procrastinator. I really have to get downstairs and get some painting done but it is sunny out and Im enjoying sitting in the sunshine in the dining room. Ill just have to write this post before I go to the basement. We lucked out and only had a few large branches down and one birdfeeder was broken when it went airborne in the wind yesterday. I found one of the feeders 25 feet away from the stand that it blew off of.

Jane, congratulations to your DS. Thats pretty neat! Good news on the shift change and Im glad to hear your Mom is out of the hospital.

Michelle, LOL that would be great if GB could drop in for our party next month. I cant get over how much you and Rick get accomplished. ~~ I love lime green also.

Sue, please send a link to that sweater you bought. I went onto the Eddie Bauer site and couldnt find it. You and Cynthia are enablers. I went to check out your sweater and found a red wool blazer. Ive been looking for a red one all season and it was a terrific price so Ill be getting a package from EB also.

Cynthia, thanks for the discount code. Where did you find that?

Brenda, so neat to hear how upbeat you are sounding. And very neat that your skin is looking great. I can tell that you really are feeling GOOD! LOL about nothing wrong with looking your age if you are 19! Te he. ROTFLOL about the moustache thing. I know it well. Id like to know how come middle age makes your hair leave your head where you want it and transplants it to your face where you dont want it. My DD bought me on of those tiny shavers for Christmas and it takes care of the problem without plucking them. I have a friend who has a most generous moustache and she tells a very funny story about having her lip waxed. Apparently her upper lip swelled up so much after it was waxed she looked like shed had a collagen injection. She said that by the time the swelling went down the moustache was back so she never bothered again.

Cindy, RE internet shopping, Im addicted to finding good stuff cheap. I resemble your keychain.

Martie that is toooooo funny. "Straight Flush" te he ~~ Im not surprised you encountered hazards with the driving yesterday. I was worried you were out in that mess. Glad to hear you made it home safely.

Grace, your job sounds wonderful! That way you can see that the designs you come up with for your clients are actually taken care of.

Bug, good info. ~~ So sorry about your tree. Is that the second or third youve lost from that windbreak?

Mary! Fantastic news that you are going to be able to take the children with you to Hawaii next month. Im so jealous. Doug and I have wanted to go back for ten years now. Maybe next year. ~~ RE fish, I dont have any koi anymore just the Shubunkin goldfish. They are all doing fine in their indoor digs. In another month Ill be more than ready for things to thaw out and get them back outside. If I ever build another pond it will be deep enough to winter the fish over in. This bringing them in for the winter is a lot of extra work.

Wendy, glad to hear you like that Dirty Jobs show too. It really is pretty funny at times.

OK time to get busy here and accomplish a few things and maybe get the bookkeeping caught up so I can start the next magazine article. Heaven forbid it should be done before the deadline.

TTLY
    Deanne

• yeonasky
    18 years ago

GB you struck a chord with me. Two days ago my second to youngest sister, Dorthe, who's 45, 46 on February 2nd, had a TIA, which is a mini stroke, which scared the heck out of all of us. :( When she called me at 2 a.m. her speech was noticeably slurred. She has Atrial Fibulation and Atrial Flutter, which was diagnosed about a month ago, after she collapsed at the gym, which makes a person more prone to stroke. She was on baby aspririn, as well as the heart meds, as a blood thinner to prevent stroke, but it was obviously not enough. Hopefully they'll up the blood thinning meds to Warfarin, or something similar today when she goes to the cardiologist. Also she is having a long list of side effects from the the heart meds, which is further interfering with her life. She has a ways to go before they adjust everything meds wise and she can again have some quality of life. She's my YMCA partner, but I don't know if that can continue. I'm going to miss her going with me, if she can't. Our family has known about stroke symptoms since being children, as my xmother had several mini strokes, after a heart attack, and died of stroke. We were told to get her to hospital quickly and keep a cold towel wrapped around her head. This article says that Brain cooling is supposed to protect the brain cells from damage, so maybe that's why we were told to use the cold towel.

Brenda you and me and your grandmother have the same affliction. I was surprised that I sprouted any hair anywhere, as I'm generally hair challenged. I have little hair on my legs and most everywhere else, except my head, thank goodness, including very lightly dusted eyebrows, which has seen, and is and will see, a bit of pencil for most of my adult life. So why didn't I grow normal eyebrows instead? I hate hormonal control. If I could afford it I'd try for laser hair removal and get some transplanted to my brow, lol. That would be my number one surgery. I'd go for all over lypo and a tummy tuck in the group surgery though. ;)

Deanne I have little hope of regaining a firm figure, and only consider surgery in passing, really. I have a hard enough time going to Drs as it is and to voluntarily go near one with a knife, freaks me right out. Even though Drs are what have saved my life, I can't help being paranoid, about giving them any more power over me. BTW I'm starting yoga again tomorrow at the Y, after many years of not doing it and will think of you as I try to pretzel my way to slimness. I hope I don't make too much of a fool of my big self. I'm always worried that they'll laugh their slim selves heads off at big lumpy me. But I go anyway. I'm very courage challenged as you can see. Between fight or flight response I'm flying every time, babe. lol.

Mary I'm glad you have mementoes and good memories about Susan. The peony painting sounds just perfect. Where would you hang it? I know you'll cherish your memories of your time with her, when looking at the painting and find many things to smile about, in time.

Sue be careful out there. Maybe you should have ordered lunch in. Your auditor sounds like a real charmer. I hope they're not all like that.

I finally got to sign on with my regular user name, and haven't had to sign up again and again, and this time my old hyphenated name didn't show up. I think they've 'fixed' things for now. Hopefully, as I'm reluctant to sign in every day. I wonder if that's why Marian hasn't been around much.

Hi everyone else and welcome, Grace. I'm off to the paper chase races. Stay out of the wind and weather and away from trees.

Yeona

P.S. The link on strokes and why the damage increases after the stroke is interesting but technical.

• honey_mi
    18 years ago

OK. all youse guys catching the sales out there Brenda, Sue, Cynthia, Deanne let me give you a tip. My DH always goes into a state of apoplexy when I march in the door with clothes bags. So heres the trick: Keep dry cleaner bags in the car for shopping emergencies. Then just slide the dry cleaner bags over the new items and bring them in the house. Your DH will never guess they are new. Then when you wear them and he says, "Is that new?" Say, "This old thing? I just havent wanted to wear it lately." Works like a charm!

Im much better. Man, the grey and dreary was getting to me. Even the snow yesterday lifted my spirits. Today, the sun is shining and its 48 yeah! I just came in from spending some time outside. I just putzed cleaned the debris from the storm drain openings in the street, broke up some ice in the drive, etc. Anything to be outside in the LIGHT. I heard on the radio on Tues. that weve only had 14 minutes of sunshine since before New Years! No wonder Ive got cabin fever!

Im a bit concerned about DH. He had to drive to London, Ont. for a 3:30 pm mtg. That means hell be driving back on 401 in the dark. Marie, Taryn, he said hed wave to you. Ill be glad when hes back safe and sound.

My, lots of posts yesterday. I got a call in the am and met some former colleagues for lunch. On the way home, I grocery shopped, then roasted a turkey breast for dinner, finished up a novel and listened while DH decompressed.

Sue, I started to post after reading a bit until I came to the part where you passed out strawberries in the ofc. I couldnt post until I had some that I bot yesterday. Yum. Thanks for reminding me. I didnt get any Clems, but did have the most delish seedless navel orange this am. I just cracked up over your camping story!

Poor Mary! Bless Davids pee-pickin lil heart for that assessment! Funny how kids come up with that stuff. Glad it didnt cut you to the quick! What a lovely thing for Susans Mom to do to offer you something of hers that was special to you. It sounds like you chose the perfect remembrance. Now, every time you look at that painting youll remember the good times and special friendship you had. Wow, great article of Hub on the Web. Your trip sounds like a dream! Pix, please!

Welcome, Grace. Yep, it does sound like you have a lot in common with all of us! Loved your story. Are you in the San Fernando Valley or farther south? Tell us, tell us.
    I love what you do! I wish we had Garden Coachs around here. I think with a little advertisement, there would be many folks taking advantage of such a service.

Hey, was that Taryn? And Cindy, it was good to see you post, too. Wheres T?

Martie, I can contribute some extra boobage, too. Like Brenda, it runs in our family, except DD. Poor thing, she didnt get much to balance out the thunder thighs. Oh, Im so glad youre safe. That had to be a harrowing experience on the roads yesterday. ROTFLOLOLOL, re "A Straight Flush" Too funny. Oh, and Woody, that tag line you saw is hilarious, too!

Brenda, it sounded to me that your DH is jealous of your willpower and progress with the diet. Great going, girl, keep up your good work. Im somewhat stalled. Not being totally bad, but not being totally good, either. At least Im using the treadmill. I have some drop dead leather outfits I could wear for my bday in March if I got on the stick here and dropped some lbs. Id feel really great if I could get into them again. Perhaps I should try them on as an incentive.
    No bait or maggots would be allowed in my fridge! My, oh my, you are tolerant. UUUUUGGGGGGGG. Get that man a fridge in the garage! Or stir fry some pine nuts and serve it to him. When he asks what it is, say: "I dont know. It was in the fridge! That might cure him.

Deanne, Bullet seems to be doing better. Thanks for asking. Hes back to his ole noisy self and interacting with us. He woke me up this again am "telling" DH to hurry up. They have a morning ritual. Bullet sits on the counter while DH showers. Then while Dh shaves with his left hand, he pets Bullet with his right. Its kind of their time together. As soon as DH turns off the electric shaver, Bullet sticks his head up and blinks his eyes for DH to wash the matter out of the corners with a warm cloth. Evidentially, DH didnt do a good enough job this am on Bullets left eye so he was told about it. It is a stitch to watch.

Cynthia, we just got a Trader Joes here and I have to try it. My friend made up a mix she got from there for cranberry/orange bread. It was wonderful. She also got some fixins for bruchetta that was also great. Sorry you got a headache from lemon drop martinis, but it sounded like a fun time.

Janie, great you checked in and your Mom is doing well. Sorry your Dad isnt much help. I loved Bradys poem. What a keepsake. How proud you must be that its being published! Hope you and DH have a great get-away. And great youre on Days again.

Marie, Im so sorry about your beautiful spruce! Thanks for the stroke info. I havent read that before.

Yeona, so good to hear from you too, and update us on whats going on in your life. Im so sorry about your DS. I hope she doesnt suffer any permanent damage and theyre able to adjust her meds to the perfect level. I agree with you on voluntarily going under the knife. Im going to age as gracefully as possible and not worry about all these wrinkles, etc. I am what I am.

Well, time to catch the news. TTYL,

Honey

• just_t
    18 years ago

Hi there, I'm here.....reading. I've got both hands busy shoveling food in and no free hand to type with until this mood passes. :oP

I'll be back........

T.

• chloehoover
    18 years ago

O, T - the vision -- are u using your nose put to "mouse" to scroll thru as you munch?

Yep, I find these idylls enabling of shopping, food, plants, and lots and lots of laughs and -- empathy when needed.

Yeona - Im so sorry to hear about your sister -- how scary for you and her -- I'll be thinking of you. Sounds like she's got a hard row to hoe, but there are so many more options for treatment these days -- those side effects are hard to bear though -- keep your chin up! How amazing the things one learns though - never heard of wrapping the head to keep it cool - wow -- definitely gonna file that one away. Good for you to be strong and go to the Y yoga classes - I think that's one of the things I like about yoga - it really is not a competitive "sport" and I see all types of body shapes and conditions in those classes; believe me, Im usually one of the lumpiest ones there!! But it's amazing how some stretching, etc. does to those lumps -- and the lump in the brain too - I always feel like I've stretched that one too.

Deanne, sounds like your home got off pretty well considering -- just some tops of bird houses. Poor Gardenbug -- you seem to have gotten the worst of it at your place -- it howled & got over 60/mph here in this area but luckily nothing close to me suffered any really bad damage. But I think all this rain we continue to get is not a good thing -- more supposed to come this weekend... Ihope all the plants don't rot away before spring!

Ok, guys - I have resisted the EB site -- altho I'd gotten a notice of their great sale/coupons the other day - really, really trying to hold back -- but I think some of us are gonna feel left out when you all show up together in the same sweater!!

Honey, I hope your DH arrives safe and sound, hopefully he knows the route well?
    -- it's amazing what a difference of some sun or no gloom & doom makes one feel isnt it? Im practically bouncing around today -- it was 60ish, the sun was shining - I wanted to just leave work and not go back for the day - but duty called.

Ok, CSI is on - gotta go catch it - Im a faithful fan.

Everyone have a great nite. (P.S. I think I've got Spring Fever and Spring has got to be 2 months away... that's a long time to suffer a fever - what to do, what to do...)
    Maybe we need more photo fixes.....?
    --Cindy

• Lily316
    18 years ago

Apparently we all are having freaky weather,and I for one don't like it. I can't tell you how many times in the past days that it's been over 60 after midnight and this is normally the coldest time of year..can't be good for the gardens and trees. ..or ponds..Mary..Thanks for asking about the koi. They are maintaining. This is the first year in the 24 years we've had the outside concrete pond that it hasn't frozen. We have the deicer in and it just floats around. Tomorrow is the record -16 degree on that date in 1994..what a year that was. My koi babies in the downstairs pool are just hanging. I never get close to them so as not to stress them and they huddle together.. even little Pinky who I rescued about 6 weeks ago from the floor. I am very fond of them. My Big Blackie has a swim bladder problem and props himself up in the side of the pond and where ever he is, Big Pinkie is beside him holding him upright..
    I beat all you EB people w/ my Salvation Army stuff...This store is in a very affluent area and people must wear their clothes 3 or 4 times and donate them because I have found such bargains there. I see a lot of college kids and young yuppies there every time I go there. ..I might 've mentioned I donated a big bag last week and went to the front and bought more than I gave. All were R.Lauren, EB and Gap. Our EB store left our mall last year..
    To all you w/ the egg toaster. Do you still like it? Went to Amazon and checked it out and wondered if it was a gimmick.
    Mary..I'm happy you have a little closure in your dear friend's' terrible death w/ the peony painting. What a perfect choice for you.
    I haven't read a lot recently but Deanne, relax and enjoy the great body you have..none of us likes the way we look. I think it was Sue who doesn't like her chest and I've wished all my life to be flat chested. I remember walking out of a clothing store w/ my first bra on when I was 12 thinking..I'll have to wear this harness for the rest of my life??? and I still feel like that and go w/o when I'm home.. My family has always been weird about weight. My parents were thin and would make unkind comments about "heavy" people we knew..behind their backs. As a result I was normal as a teen but then after DD was born and I was done nursing went on a grapefruit/hard boiled egg diet, and for over 25 years weighed between 100-105 and weighed myself always in the mroning naked before I ate. If it crept close to 105, I'd cut back. I was never anorexic or bulimic but obsessed. I threw away the scale..have none in the house and certainly went over the 105 years ago. I have three pair of similar jeans..Smallest are Gap, next size is Old Navy and the biggest is EB. Unfortunately this has passed on down the line. DD is a marathon runner and eats practically nothing but large salads and weighs about in that range altho at 5 '4"' she's two inches shorter than me. And DGD wears size 0 and extra small in shirts. She looks okay tho at around 100 but I watch when we eat to see any irregularities. There is so much peer pressure on to be skinny w/ the low risers they wear and the little T's...Man, I would love plastic surgery but probably would never do it. I would like a face lift and lipo around the hip area
    Yesterday I scored a few choice things at auction. For a buck I got a cute wicker cat bed.. the kind w/ a hole in it. They all looked at it and walked on. I could strangle them .I spend so much in Foster/Smith cat stuff which they tend to ignore, so my limit in this was one dollar. And for three dollars, I got a huge handmade wooden birdfeeder which the squirrels will love. Speaking of. I have a wonderful pair of gardening gloves which were quite expensive but worth it. I used the right one to do something a few weeks ago and laid it on the bee hive. I saw it thru the window and planned to retrieve it the next day. When I went out it was gone and i know the squirrels carried it up to their nest. They've come on my porch and gotten in the pillows and got stuffing out . It's funny to see the fluffy polyester hanging out of the Martin Houses.. Eden,,Do you still have your pet squirrel? And my last purchase I really love.I got two very small concrete flamingos from the 20's. They are exactly like the big lawn ones of which I have two. They were covered w/ a garish pink paint. I scraped them both down to their original finish this afternoon and they look wonderful w/ great whitish patina...One of my big ones in the yard I got at auction for a few bucks years ago before they began being priced at $250 at garden antique shows. And my other one was out to the curb on junk day and I literally jumped out in traffic to retrieve it. It has huge glass blue eyes and was made in York in the 1920's...Probably put you all to sleep w/ my ramblings......Sylvia

• martieinct
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Good stunning morning!

Marie's info about strokes is something I didn't know but have committed to memory. Very Important Stuff!

A good thing about being "little" is I can't buy clothes without trying them on, first. Even brands that fit are sometimes just "off" enough to look stupid, so web shopping doesn't happen, here. Love the idea about the dry cleaning bags!!! Will need to remember that one given the blown garden budget ana promise-with-fingers-crossed to avoid the Petite section this Spring.

Love the bargains, Sylvia!

Eden: How are you and Bella hanging?? Whilst deleting some stuff came across the pic of her at Christmas and it was a much-needed smile.

A definite perk of being on the road is the ability to stop whenever greenhouses loom. Yesterday saw a huge one and figured it had to be pro. Being me, politely knocked on the door and it turns out that it is owned by a premier gardener in who grows for herself but also loves to share. She made herbal tea and showed me her 100 (at least) lav cuttings and I actually have some that she doesn't, so when I go back up there we have a date to lav-swap. She was so gracious -- I might not have been so nice to someone showing up asking: "I know you're not open, yet, but can I poke around the greenhouse?" LOL

Love the poem! Printed it out for Kyle who also lives in the basement. Don't know if at 19 it's his fav place, but boys are boys are boys ....

Keep going with the weight loss/shaping up, everyone! Made Marie's soup last night and splurged on bread with Real Butter. It's all about balance :-)

Janie: All good thoughts are continuing toward your mom and the rest of you.

Toward Kenzie, too!

Need to find something to wear to the office Holiday party tomorrow night that I didn't know about until yesterday. Notice came out before I started working there and an email yesterday reminding everyone to "get a room at half-price and stay safe" prompted me to ask ... Seems that everyone thought everyone else has told me about it and wasn't going to go, but the sweeties I work with insisted. Rich isn't happy about a party on Saturday night and Logees on Sunday, but "Oh Well." I'll make really sure he gets a new Lemon Tree plug on Sunday and all should be smoothed out.

Running to the mountains, again. It was absolutely gorgeous on the road yesterday -- sun roof open and the Vit D pouring in!

Martie

• deanneart
    18 years ago

Good Morning all,

Well, my attempt at getting up early only netted my getting up at 6:30. I just cant wait until the sun starts coming up at 5:00. Then Ill be up really early and wont lose my mornings stumbling around the house trying to wake up. But, I can definitely tell the days are getting longer, especially in the evenings now because there is still light on the horizon at 5:00PM.

Today Ive got to water all the orchids and the plants under the lights in the basement. I did the plants under the lights upstairs yesterday and it looks like one of my brug cuttings is getting buds on it!!!! Now wouldnt that just be the neatest? The banana plant Sue gave me last summer is looking really good. It was pretty sad for a bit after I brought it in but it has perked up and now has three pups. I didnt realize it would do so well in the house. A few of my fuchsias were looking a bit sad in cold storage so Ive brought them out and put them under the lights and they are growing like mad. Im planning on starting a bunch of cuttings next month. I cant get enough fuchsias it seems. The two standards I started last year are alive and well so far and the big surprise was the nemesia that I planted at the feet of one of the standards is also alive and well. Now that surprised me because I didnt know you could get nemesia to winter over in a dark basement. The big surprise is that one of the Pretoria Cannas has thrown up a lovely new leaf, in the dark! Maybe it knows spring is coming?

Sylvia, Im so happy to hear that all your fish are doing well. One of my oranda goldfish, Spanky, also has a swim bladder disorder and he either winds up floating upside down on the top of the tank or laying on the bottom. Seems awful for him but it really doesnt seem to bother him much.

Cindy, Ive definitely caught spring fever and like you said, this is way too early for it. They weather guy said that it is supposed to be down to 18 degrees tomorrow night again so we are back in the winter weather. Im really worried that the extremes of these warm/cold cycles are going to kill a lot of plants. Fortunately most of my gardens are raised beds so I dont have to worry about losing things to the extreme wet conditions we are dealing with. But who can tell what these freeze thaw cycles are going to do. I do know the rodents are all very active out there and usually they are dormant this time of the year. I found a huge new hole in my mailbox garden yesterday and that means that none of those tulips are going to be there in the spring. Grrrr.r.

HI T. great to hear from you. Hmmm. Have you tried your FitDay software? I find if I force myself to write it all down it puts a lid on the OCD eating thing. Hope the mood passes soon and you participate here more often again.

Honey, I just LOVE the story about Bullet and your DH. It sounds like they are as bonded as Doug and Rahjii. ~~The dry cleaning bags trick would not work for me because I never take things to the cleaners. Doug always does that so if I came in with dry cleaning bags he would know for sure that something was up. LOL

Yeona, sorry about your DS. Youve had a tough time the last several months. How is your other sister doing? ~~ Never worry about what anyone thinks of you in a yoga class because they are all too busy focusing on themselves and their own poses and relaxation. I was surprised at how little time I ever spend looking at anyone else in class. Im too busy trying to keep up with the instructor.

Martie, no web shopping? Id have withdrawal symptoms. ~~~ Im in a quandary as to what to wear to Dougs companys holiday party next weekend too. This is going to be in Boston on the harbor at some shi-shi hotel so needs to be pretty dressy. Decisions, decisions. ~~ Enjoy your driving today I think it is supposed to be sunny for the AM hours anyway. OK time to get myself to the gym. Today I have to do my ab workout, an hour of cardio and then a half hour of lower body strength training and it isnt getting done sitting on this computer.

Have a great day everyone,
    Deanne

• flowerluvr
    18 years ago

Good morning!

Michelle-I'm like you...I line up more than we can hope to get done in one session. Guess I wouldn't want us to be standing around looking at each other wondering what to do next, lol! I do the same thing to myself, though.

Janie-I really meant to help you out cleaning your house yesterday, but........tackled my own filthy mess. I was QUITE impressed with the dust buildup in the living room. Don't know how long it's been since everything was taken off the entertainment center so it could be dusted properly. BONUS..in that process, I found some movies that I forgot we had! I'd never be able to rest on vacation if my MIL was house sitting, lol! I could spend a month cleaning, and the first thing she would do once we were gone would be to clean. We're a very "lived in" kinda people. Enjoy your mini vacation!
    Congrats to Brady on getting published!

Deanne, I'm glad to hear you didn't have any major damage. What a weird winter it's been!!! Last night on the 10:00 news, the lowest local temp was 48. Jim is fit to be tied-he just knows there's not going to be any ice the rest of the winter. Personally, I'm betting on a late spring.
    Hm, may have to look into a tiny shaver for myself. What a pain! Actually, as the beautician was about to rip the wax off my lip, it occured to me that if I had a bad reaction to getting my lip waxed, I was going to look really odd. I figured I'd come out with a blazing red moustache--and at my age, it would be a little hard to pass off as a kool-aid 'stache ;) When I saw how fast it started sprouting back..well, I just don't see me ripping wax off my face often enough to keep up with that!

'Bug, I got so caught up in the great composition of your photos, I forgot to send my condolences for the tree. How will you ever get it out of the windbreak?

Yeona, I'm so sorry to hear about your sister. My brother went through such an ordeal getting his meds and stuff settled. He's on Cumadin (sp) and I don't know what else. And, they've yanked him around so much about his diet. He not only had two strokes, but also two heart attacks in the span of a couple of years. The crazy thing is that he was more concious of his diet before the strokes and stuff than any of the rest of his sibs. They started him on a low fat diet...10 grams a day. Geez, read any lables, and you'll soon find out there's a whole lot of stuff you can't eat. Then, after the second heart attack, they totally changed their minds about what was okay for him to eat. This time, it was more geared toward keeping his insulin levels down. And, they told him that cooking with olive oil was no good..something about heating it changes the structure of the oil and makes it not so good for you. I don't know for sure that THEY know what they're talking about. A person does have to eat SOMETHING, and a diet with a whole bunch of crazy restrictions is just setting someone up to fail, IMHO. I'm gently trying to persuade him to read the carb addict book. It focuses on keeping your insulin in check, but I eat really well, and don't feel the least deprived. He's not really receptive to it, he's tired of jumping through crazy diet hoops, only to find his cholesterol and tryglicerides not responding.
    LOL, we DO have the same affliction re hair. I'm not a hairy person at all. It's all above my shoulders :) I grow just enough on my legs to have to shave them. If I could SEE in the shower, it would take about two seconds to shave what needs it, and skip the rest. My best friend was stunned to find out that for most of my life, I didn't shave my thighs. That poor girl has dark hair everywhere...except on her face. No moustache for her...yet!
    BTW, my aunt has always had really sparse eyebrows. She penciled them for years. She finally went a couple of years ago, and had them tattooed on. And, they look really good! You'd never know they weren't real hairs. I'd be terrified to do that...what if your tattoo artist wasn't any good?? Anyway, she's really pleased with them.
    Good luck with the yoga, and don't worry about what the skinny people are thinking. As they say, dance like no one is looking--or pretzel like no one is looking, rather ;)

Honey-I didn't buy anything at EB. I'm right on the verge of being out of the plus sizes. Guess there's no sense in buying a bunch of clothes I wish I was fat enough to fit into, lol! Nice idea with the dry cleaning bags! Never work around here--if I came in with dry cleaning bags, Jim would panic, assuming there was a wedding or a funeral to go to. We're mostly jeans and t-shirt people. I have scored a few new T's on Ebay for dirt cheap. My favortie is one that says, "Positive manifestation from groovy meditation" All have been a size smaller, and I've resisted my pack-rat nature. Every new thing means getting rid of an old thing. I have lots of new dust rags now.
    DH home all safe and sound??
    Hey, did they have turkey breast on sale where you live, too?? The one I roasted the other night was just too yummy. Ya gotta go to the food network website, and check out Emeril's essence. They have a "recipe" for the mix of spices, and it's SO good. Kick it up another notch....BAM! Yeah, I am watching WAY too much Emeril. Gee, do I spend money on clothes or Caphalon cookware?
    THANK you for noticeing how tolerant I am...Jim would beg to differ with you. He thinks I'm terrible for making him segregate his bait from the rest of our food. The mini fridge has been located, and now I just have to get him to lug it down in the basement. ROFLMAO..the pine nuts idea is just priceless! Especially since I'm pretty sure he's never seen a pine nut in his life, so he wouldn't have a clue!
    Gosh, I can't imagine being coordinated enough to shave with one hand and pet an animal with the other.

Okay, T..if both hands were shoveling food, what WERE you typing with?? Talk about coordinated!

Sylvia-We've got a pretty good Goodwill store not far away. I need to go check them out. I can never get jeans there (none long enough), but there's a lot of stuff that's either new or practically new. Jim likes me to get his jeans there..he hates breaking in new jeans, and tends to wear them until they're just indecent. I have to literally cut his clothes up to keep him from dragging them out of the trash. He takes great pride in dressing like a hobo :(
    It's good to keep an eye on the youngsters re their weight/body perception. My 10 year old niece mentioned to me once that she was on a diet. I parked her little fanny on a kitchen chair and gave her a good talking to. She was trying to skip meals. She's a solid girl, but by no means overweight. We had a talk about making good choices, and how important it is to eat. As a young adult, I did the starvation thing to lose weight. Would sometimes go 3 days without eating much of anything. Not at all a healthy thing to do. There's just so much focus on being thin as a rail, and to be worrying about it at 10 years old is just going too far.
    Sorry to hear about the gardening glove..that's a bummer. I'm terrible for leaving things laying around outside. Last year I bought a pair of Bionic gloves. They're wonderful! I hate wearing gloves, but these actually feel good, and there isn't much I need to take them off to do. I guarded them with my life, and managed to keep track of both of them the whole season. I even know where they both are right now :)

This morning, I'm slow cooking some chuck roasts for vegetable soup. I'm cooking up meals for my friend Diane. We exchange Christmas presents late, so this year hers is going to be a new suitcase that she desperately needs...filled with frozen meals. I still haven't found the kind of containers I want to put the stuff in, and am thinking about a seal a meal kind of thing. Will make that call when I go shopping for the suitcase this morning.

Tomorrow I've got 5 kids for an overnighter. Three of them being triplets...I think they're around 5 years old. As I get older, I get worse about knowing how old the little ones in the family have gotten to be :) The dogs are going to LOVE it, because everyone will be crashing in sleeping bags on the living room floor. I've already been warned to keep an eye on one of the boy triplets...he's a button pusher. Just can't help himself, I guess. That reminds me, I might ought to unplug the paper shredder, lol!

Okay, gotta get dressed and head to town. The house smells of beef, and Gus is sitting in the kitchen keeping an eye on things. He knows what the roast thing is all about, and leans on my legs while I'm pulling it apart, waiting for scraps. He also dearly loves vegetable soup! What a spoiled dog-my MIL and Jim have all but ruined that dog. He goes with Jim in the mornings to do chores, and they stop in for a cookie at MIL's. She makes him sit, shake with both paws, and then lay down before he gets his cookie. Now, he can't even follow commands. He just automatically sits down, paws you with each paw, then throws himself to the floor. I'm working on un-doing it, mixing up the routine. Of course, you can just tell he thinks I'm an idiot, because I'm not doing it right, lol!

Have a good day, all!
    Brenda

• cynthia_gw
    18 years ago

Only 58 days until spring! 2 months. 8 weeks. And feels like spring now, even thought it's 36F. Sun is out, and after reading Deanne's note, I took a trip to the gh because I haven't watered in weeks. I do keep things dry, but it was a little too dry in there with all the warm weather we've been having.

Hope that you all have a spring day in January!

• gardeningmary
    18 years ago

Good morning

Sylvia - so glad to hear your fish are all still with you. Great bargains! I can't tell you how many gloves I've lost putting them down then forgetting too late where they are.

Brenda - a suit case filled with frozen dinners is a fantastic present. Is you friend another farmer? Enjoy the sleep over guests!

Honey - lovely to hear about Bullet. I was wondering how Ruth is - do you get to see much of her in non-garden season. Perhaps you could twist her arm for IU3!

Michelle - as another shortie I agree, there is no way I'd ever buy clothes without trying them on first. Same for shoes as my extra wide, bunioned feet are very hard to fit. My web browsing is limited to books and seeds. I don't even buy plants on-line, somehow I like to see what I'm getting before parting with my money, though I'm rather tempted by Chalk Hill Clematis this year.

Deanne - the early mornings are hard for us too right now - and I'm usually a morning person. Annie's alarm goes off at 6 AM and we're all dead to the world. Even when she leaves the house at 7 AM it's still pitch black out. The evenings are starting to get noticably lighter, but the mornings here seem just as dark. I guess I hsould take comfort in Cynthia's spring countdown

Hi T - come back and visit some more. Are you getting lots of rain?

Cynthia - the photos on the Global Traveler web page are not coming up. They are all in the print magazine but I haven't been able to view them on-line either. I'll let you know if they fix it.

Deanne and Martie - I'm sure finding a party dress will be easier than having to shop for a swim suit which is what I need to do - groan. Somehow stripping off under harsh changing room lights in the winter is misery. My existing swimsuit is in shreds from year round hot tub use and definitely not fit for public. I'm going to steel myself and take my old, fat thighs to Marshalls this afternoon to see what they have to offer. Perhaps something with a built in skirt.......

Have a good day everyone

Mary

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    18 years ago

Before I forget...

TGIF!

And what a beautiful day too. I have to keep reminding myself that it's only January 20th. Even though you know the other shoe is going to drop, it still isn't going to be easy when it does.

Brenda, I had to laugh at the dog story. Before Nick came, both Zak and Zoe thought "sit" meant you sat down then extended your paw.

Honey, good idea about the dry cleaning bags but most of my shopping these days is mail order. What are the chances I can convince the companies to disguise my packages as bills? BTW, I got an e-mail from Coldwater Creek this morning-outlet stuff down to like 85% off.

OK, auditor just showed up-gotta run.

Sue

• babs_clare
    18 years ago

I've been a lunchroom monitor for two months now. I just found out I get PAID to do it!! Gee and I thought I was just volunteering lol.

Craziness abounds here. I'm now working on the teacher appreciation luncheon which is during the last week in Feb. I'm making the table centerpieces again. I'm building structures from Duplo blocks that will be decorated with several type faces of words pertaining to "Building blocks of character,compassion, & values". The center of the pieces will have candid photos of the school kids popping out the top. Hopefully they don't look too zany. Today I will be playing photographer at school.

Good to see you Yeona!!

Mary I am so sorry you have to look for a swim suit-I hope you find the perfect suit. If you really think you need the cover for your thighs see if they have those sarongs that tie over the hip. I just can't picture you as large as you describe....then again we won't talk about the weight that I keep gaining-I'm really getting alarmed. I'm trying to stop night time snacks and no wine as well as cut back on my serving sizes-I think I have been increasing those and over time it's paying its price.

Good to see Sylvia! Ramble on! I'm smiling about the garden gloves-though I'm sorry you've got half a pair now. Mine were safely flung onto my screened in porch and I keep thinking I need to put them away. Your story reminds me of when my neighbor used tinsel garland a few yrs ago at xmas and the squirrels swiped the garland and used it for their nests! Every so often I find bits of it in my yard.

Don't mean to blab and run but I need to get a move on. Hi everyone!

~Babs

• flowerluvr
    18 years ago

Babs, I would HOPE you would get paid to be a lunchroom monitor-it's gotta be an interesting experience. What grades are eating together?
    The teacher appreciation centerpieces sound so cool! You do the neatest stuff!

Mary-No, Diane isn't a farmer. We go WAY back. We met in 5th grade. We started running around together in high school, and have worked together at 3 different places. We both got hooked up with losers, and have been friends through getting RID of said losers, being single moms and the whole bit. We're both tomboys, and her family owns a trash collection business. She goes back and forth between the office and running the recycling route. For her 40th birthday, we went to the nearest decent sized city, and spent the weekend in a nice suite. Drank wine, played backgammon and listened to music from back in the day. It became a tradition, and since the hotel looks a little like a castle, we dubbed it Princess Weekend. One of those ironic names, as we're neither one very princess-like ;) Anyway, we do that in January and July, and have extended it to a three day weekend. Sometimes we go shopping, sometimes we just hang by the pool and hot tub. She's a NUT, and just the most fun to hang around with. She nick named me Boom Boom in high school, and to this day, her entire family calls me Boom. Yeah...whoever it was looking for the "boobage"-please..help me out here, lol!

Okay, didn't mean to turn that into such a long story about Diane not being a farmer ;)
    The phone isn't currently ringing, so I'd better bolt out the door. Had meant to be to the store and back by now.
    Later all!
    Brenda

• honey_mi
    18 years ago

Well, isnt this just the craziest weather?!! Its 50 out and sunny. Its supposed to rain tonite and then turn to snow with possibly 4-8" by tomorrow am but then go back up into the 40s next week. I got outside this am and weeded my Lamium bed. I cant ever remember the weather being this mild in January. As Sue says, tho, Im sure this is just a temporary reprieve.

Well, the good news is that despite being bad yesterday I found a piece of chocolate in the cupboard and caved I dropped 2 lbs. And this am I tried on one of the leather pants outfits and I was only able to get the pants up as far as my knees. So no hope there. The taupe suit however, might be possible. The pants have an expandable waist. I dare not sit in them now b/c the hips arent expandable, lol. I can snap the jacket, but its tight. The jacket is trimmed in taupe suede and fox. It might be a bit out of date, but if I can fit in it, Ill wear it. I wonder where the taupe sweater is to go with it? Trying on those outfits did inspire me to stick with this diet. I'm glad I did it.

Babs, your centerpieces sound fabulous! How lucky they have you to do it again for them this year. Youre so creative. Bonus that youre getting paid as a monitor!

Deanne, too bad we live so far apart I have an entire wardrobe of really nice stuff you could select from. I only weeded out sizes 4, 6 and 8. I cant believe I ever got down to size 4 yikes! I have a small fortune in "dressy" and "nice casual" clothes from the job. Now I only wear sweats, jeans and t-shirts. In fact, since I retired, Ive only had pantyhose on 5 times! Now thats simply the best!

Sorry about the wind damage. Its maddening, I know. We had some earlier this yr and lost a whole panel of lattice on the side of the deck. The Clematis that was on it is laying on the ground. Dont know if it was damaged.

Mary, I dont see Ruth as often as during gardening season. But we email from time to time. In fact, we exchanged one this am. Shes really been busy running with the boys and working. Ive already tried to convince her to come to IU3. If any of you guys stay the nite before or after, Im sure shell come over to visit and a sip. Oh poor you, having to try on bathing suits. That's the pits. But just keep focused on the reward for doing it!

Ooooooo, Coldwater Creek is having a sale? EB sales, too. Gotta be good, gotta be good, gotta be good.

Brenda, Im so sorry you dont have good fresh produce at your markets. Luckily ,thats one thing we do have here is lots of fresh produce. Ive got to run to the store today for some fish and salad greens. They came in fresh yesterday.

I still have to do my treadmill thingy and then hope to start a project today. Tomorrow or Sunday if the weather is bad Sat., DH wants to go to the local dog show. Were not planning on bringing anything home, but theyre supposed to have an agility show wed like to see.

Well, Im off to get this day underway. Hi to anyone I didnt specifically address! TTYL.

Honey

• michelle_zone4
    18 years ago

Thanks for the good thoughts for Kenzie. She has an ear infection. So no swimming lessons last night. Her mom said that she seemed to be perking up, but then she barfed. Babies, you gotta love them. (Kind of like dogs huh?)

Jane, how neat for your son.

Yeona, sorry to hear about your sister. I hope she can recover completely.

Deanne, it may sound like we get a lot accomplished, but not much has been done in the last 9 years. When Rick and I got married we did a fair amount of redecorating, but with 3 kids in school we kept busy with their activities and just enjoying them. Now that they are out of the house I realize that there is quite a lot that has been neglected. So I am just trying to do a major catch up.
    I too am enjoying the extended daylight in the evening. Jaden and I took a long walk on the road today. (The only area that is totally ice free) I have a canna in a pot this winter and it is looking pretty good. It sure sounds like your plants are doing quite well.

My DH doesnt mind a bit if I buy clothes or things for the house. In fact he is sometimes an enabler. Isnt he great?

T, I hope the "mood" is past.

Sylvia, LOL about the harness. I remember being 13 and everyone else had a bra. I wanted one so bad but my mom said I had no need for one yet. How wise she was.

Martie, your recent greenhouse adventures are very interesting.

Brenda, what a unique Christmas present for your friend. Ill bet she loves it.

Mary, I think you were referring to Martie being another shortie. I stand about 58". I dont clothes shop online either. I need to try things on. I was never a catalog shopper either. I feel for you that you have to shop for a swimsuit. I hate that task.

Babs, I think lunchroom monitors definitely need to get paid ;o)

Michelle

• babs_clare
    18 years ago

Grace! Sorry I didn't greet you sooner! Welcome to our idyllic group.

Normally I would think the LRmonitors get paid too but for some reason I thought our school dropped that due to money cuts-though it was a few years ago; I thought that cut was still in effect. Anyway it's cool and I'm not going to question it. When I was up at school taking kid pics I was begged to stay to help monitor(I've only been doing it one day/week....I have a feeling I will become a fulltime lunch monitor soon enough). Who asked what grades I watch? Well we don't have a cafeteria so I'm assigned to the fifth grade & second grade classrooms(alternate lunch times)and I monitor 4-8th & 1-3rd alternately on the playground. I've also watched the K-garten here and there. Ryan loves being with the kids and they seem to think he's pretty interesting-even the older ones. He'll know the place like the back of his hand when he's in Kgarten next year(he's also in good with the principal: )

Michelle-poor Kenzie! She's been a sick little baby for so long. This is her first ear infection? Does your DD handle sick cleanup well? I remember the first time Aj spewed I did toughen up through the years but I do remember being weak kneed that first time or two.

BTW since I'm being egocentric today; ) Do you want to hear about my root canal tooth? Everything is done now except instead of doing a veneer which essentially weakens the tooth my D.D.S. is going to bleach the interior of tooth(!) If it doesn't work well he'll do the veneer. I go back in 3 weeks. I know you just needed to know all that: )

I'm waiting to hear if Mary found a suit. Do you know(I know you don't)that I actually sewed a bathing suit for myself in High school? I could never do that now-since there's a whole lotta stuff to hold up and hold in and reshape and well it would take years to perfect a suit that could make me look three sizes smaller and ten years younger...: )
    BTW I keep forgetting to say I loved the write up of your DH winning the contest. I like his mindset very much about seeing and learning about the different cultures/land/people through his photography. I did see one pic when I clicked your link of a dramatic sky and a person walking along the horizon-his pic? I thought it was amazing.

Dinner calls...Oh I have to MAKE it.

~Babs

• gardenbug
    18 years ago

I'm just back from 2 days in Toronto on 'social work' call for a friend whose DD announced she is gay. I've read some of what I missed here, not all though. Have company til Sunday. DH has to talk to me about 'Pensions and Benefits' as well as talk from our income tax lady. And on and on. I'll try to stop in again soon. I have plans for painting the kitchen AND cupboards. I'm nuts.

• gardeningmary
    18 years ago

Hi again

Babs - yes I did score a swim suit - two actually. The beach Gods must have been smiling on me. I found a simple, deep blue one-piece for $19.99 and a blue flowered sarong to coordinate for $4.99. Just for grins I also tried on a tankini. I thought my two-piece days were long gone, but the top goes over the shorts bottom, and even bending over there is no mid-riff showing (definitely a plus!). For $12.99 it was a real bargain adn could come in quite handy. Hawaii - here we come!

I too made a myself a swim suit in 4th Grade. It was a bikini made out of towelling with a sixites style daisy print. It was moderately unflattering on, and once wet baggged out down to my knees. Even so, I remember being enormously proud of it.

Babs - glad the root canal is almost done. My sister Ruth had a tooth bleached from the inside and it came out really well. What fun to have some unexpected money - will it go to a plant budget? I know David would love to have you as one of his lunch monitors. He does a very good impression of them at his school - I think officious is the best word to describe them.

Michelle - I thought as I was writing that you didn't look particularly short in photos! Hope McKenzie's ear get better quickly. I can remember some very long nights nursing a bad ear. Fortunatley anitbiotics kick in very quickly.

Honey - what fun to go to a dog show. I love watching agility too.

The photo on the Global traveler web site is one of DH's. The rest are not coming up on that link - I can give you another to see more of his pics if you are interested.

Well, dinner is calling here

See you on the next thread

Mary