Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Making a mural: Christmas 2007

Posted by gardenbug Canada zone 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 4, 08 at 14:35

DSIL worked hard at building a mural for baby Reed's room, with a bit of help from DD, DH and yours truly. Individual squares (216) made by many artists were glued to a 4x6 foot surface. Each square was cut from a booklet before being attached to the frame. When assembled, the whole becomes a picture of Noah's Ark. Each artist created an animal for the ark without knowing the outcome! All they began with was a piece of the main artist's background. Here's how it went (alternating progress with details):

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Making a mural: Christmas 2007

'bug, how cool and colorful..were the artists known to your DD and DSIL ? Or did they just collect them over time ?

Kathy in Napa

o

Neat! Thanks for sharing GB. I'm curious about the process too. Is this from a 'kit' of some kind?

o

The squares came in a book format and each picture had to be removed in order with an exacto knife. I believe they bought it at a fair of some sort. Personally I wouldn't have the patience required to complete it, but DSIL finished it in 2 days, including building the frame! He is considering buying a second "kit" and applying it directly to the wall rather than having the frame. We'll see. He begins his Stay-at-Home-Dad experience on Monday....

o

What a beautiful idea on the artist's part and executed so well - I wonder if they colaborated on the color palette the way a quilter does?

I want one in my room....maybe a sunset?

I think the stay at home dad experience is a lot different from mom's because we care for alot of emotional needs where dad tends to plunder through and get all the physical stuff done (big generalization there). Not better either way, just different. Alot of times I come home to find all the machines in the house going at once as if there's been a marathon of cleaning, but everyone's hanging on my pant let wanting to talk about what happened at school today :)

I hope he enjoys his one on one time, I think he will :)

Saucy

o

What a beautiful mural and I think it would be well worth the work. I'd love to know if this could be ordered some where.

T.

o

What fun, it will surely give Reed something to look at.

o

I am thinking..."what a great jigsaw puzzle that would make, LOL ! It's beautiful.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here