Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marian_2

Antique Books-pics

Marian_2
15 years ago

As I mentioned in my last post...here is a thread to post pics of your antique books.

I will start with those that I mentioned:

365 Bedtime Stories...awfully old and faded:

{{gwi:147911}}

pic#1

{{gwi:147912}}

pic#2

{{gwi:147913}}

Next:

{{gwi:147914}}

{{gwi:147915}}

Third:

{{gwi:147916}}

{{gwi:147918}}

{{gwi:147921}}

And last:

{{gwi:147923}}

{{gwi:147925}}

Marian

Comments (7)

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

I am saddened that there are not more hardbound books on our shelves. I've enjoyed seeing the lovely ones posted here!

Here are a few we still have:
    This from my mother, a lover of all things Japanese, especially poetry. This volume contains stories and studies "of strange things" and was published in 1904. Kwaidan means Weird Tales.
    {{gwi:147926}}

A real favourite is this volume, a wedding gift from an old friend of my family. Byron, a German professor, scoured the antique book markets and found this old volume of Mother Goose tales, a French collection. He had the volume bound specially and I continue to be touched.
    {{gwi:147927}}

{{gwi:147928}}

Little Red Ridinghood
    {{gwi:147929}}

Some of you may own this book of songs, but it is a favourite from my childhood and DH's as well:
    {{gwi:147930}}

DH still plays and sings this one.
    {{gwi:147931}}

And of course, as an English major, here is an old Shakespeare collection:
    {{gwi:147932}}

I also have my old Chaucer text, one of my best college memories...I think because we spelled things the same way. :)

We have a huge old atlas with crumbling pages, but it has the best maps ever. In fact I used it today to research slave trade castles along the West African Coast. DS wants me to save every morsel. My father got it for free when Brown University was discarding it, before I was born.

• Marian_2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Marie...wow! I am so glad you have joined in posting pics of your treasures. If my memory is correct, Barbara Allen was one of the songs my dad would frequently sing. How I wished I had payed more attention to such things!
    He frequently burst into song, and it was the old Irish tunes. (I think) He also played a 'mean' harmonica, and a jews harp.

I didn't do a very good job of taking pics of my books. I was trying too hard not to get the sheet's design, that I layed them on. :-(
    I couldn't lay them on the dinnyroom table......it is full ! LOL

• cynthia_gw
    15 years ago

I love this topic!! Old books are beautiful. Here are a couple I had out. I could spend next week-end pulling out old books and photographing them badly, ha ha.

I bought this one because I loved the title. It sits on the dining room table with some other less beautiful (but more useful) favorites...

{{gwi:147933}}

This one usually sits on the piano. It's bigger than it looks, and every page interesting.

{{gwi:147934}}

{{gwi:147935}}

{{gwi:147936}}

Not in good shape, but the author is Minnie Amonier who wrote one of my favorite quotes: "When the world wearies and society ceases to satisfy, there is always the garden."

{{gwi:147937}}

{{gwi:147938}}

I enjoy the handwritten notes that some previous owner added to the book. The one on the page above says "World you are beautifully dressed!"

• Marian_2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yay ! Cynthia has joined in! I espacially love that sketch book. I would love to read "The Poetry of Gardens".
    I have a lot of gardening books, but none of them really qualify as antiques, or as nostalgia, although some are pretty old.

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Wonderful thread! I have a couple to contribute but will take the pics tomorow when there is better light.
    Marie, I had the same folk song book ,we kept it in the piano bench and I used to look at it all the time ! I don't know what ever happened to the book , but how pleasant it was to scroll down and see it there ...

Kathy in Napa

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    15 years ago

This is a fun thread! Isn't the art work amazing in old books?!

We don't have too many old books here but the one I value most is this one:
    {{gwi:147939}}
    It's the family bible that originally belonged to my maternal grandfather's mother. There's a card in the front with her maiden name on it and 1864. It's a huge, heavy thing -at least 20lbs.!
    {{gwi:147941}}

My grandfather's birth is recorded in it (1876) along with all his siblings. His death (1971) is also in it. My birth is there, along with my sister and cousin. I've updated it for my mother, aunt and uncle's deaths. My sister, coousin and I are the last of our line - none of us had kids - so in my will I have left the bible to a second cousin. Her grandmother was my grandfather's oldest sister so her grandmother's birth is recorded in it. Mary-Kim has several kids so that line is likely to continue for a while.

In addition to the bible text, there are all sorts of other things included, such as maps, a section on languages in biblical times, and one on biblical animals, among other things.
    {{gwi:147942}}

I like this picture (Hagar)
    {{gwi:147943}}

• Marian_2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Woody that is a wonderful treasure! My mother had a very large Bible also, with names and dates in it. I do not know which of my siblings has it...but I have an idea.
    (The one who carried off a lot of things while no one else was at mama's house.) :-(
    I would have difficulty lifting your book.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner