Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
babs_clare

#347 Happy Idylling 2008!

babs_clare
16 years ago

I hope I'm not stepping over bounds since I have been a very absent idyll but I'm starting a new thread so I can say hello: ) and Happy New Year!

~Babs

Comments (101)

• ctlavluvr
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Just had a chance to skim but caught a few things aside from Deanne's amazing plants and a new Idyllkid to enjoy!!!

Saucy: Papa Geno is not at all related to Papa Gino's (thank whomever one believes in) but is Gene Gage. I "met" him years and years ago on-line via an herbs forum -- one of the first really active garden forums on the web. When I "knew" him he was one of the first internet plant providers around. Did some trialing for him, with his patient help tried to seed out white lavender (didn't work) and generally learned a lot. All his stuff is awesome. The WFF SG's are his, Better Homes and Gardens SG's are his, his real passion though he won't admit it is Hosta (or was) and it's one of the finest herb suppliers in the country, IMHO.

Fav pelargoniums: Fringed Apple, Lemon-Rose, Variegated Mint, Lemon Crispum (DEANNE and other containerers -- amazing foliage unlike most anything else), and Nutmeg. Some are easy to propogate, some are downright now worth the trouble :-)

Running but will catch up later. Gotta love Spider plants, V. :-)

Martie, who feels Denise's 50yo pains but wears heels anyway

• veronicastrum
    16 years ago

I just ran across this advice that I had to share with Deanne: "When each batch of growing medium arrives for a new crop, check it for fungus gnats by filling a 1-gallon baggie half-full with moist medium. If fungus gnat adults emerge within 2 weeks, consider applying a fungus gnat treatment at planting time." It sounds like fungus gnats are arriving in soil mixes, so you may want to check your potting soil before using it indoors.

And a word to Chelone - I drove to work this morning just before 7:00 am in complete, utter blackness. Where's that sun you were talking about? those mornings that come earlier each day? I feel like we've just taken a huge step backwards. I even checked my clock three times to be sure I hadn't left an hour early.

V.

• chloehoover
    16 years ago

Good morning - been loving the photos - but dont have much to offer.

Thanks so much though, Deanne, for those fantastic photos - I still can't believe how healthy they look.

V- interesting re the fungus nats - but who can wait 2 weeks when they buy the soil? Usually, LOL, I buy it because I need to pot something up right away! I have found it an increasing problem, however; got the buggers flying around the house this winter and I have only brought in 2 new plants (an agave & the aloe)....

I guess Im back in hibernation too -- altho it's to be in the 60s here today and tomorrow so that should perk me up.

Lots on the plate today, so back to work.

--Cindy

• deanneart
    16 years ago

Good morning all,

Well were in store for a January thaw this week and Im hoping we dont completely lose our blanket of snow over the gardens. Im soooo. happy you are enjoying the pics of the indoor plants. I REALLY love to putter about with the plants and find it to be therapeutic.

Thanks V. for that info re fungus gnats. Id pretty much figured out last year that my problems were with the Miracle Grow Potting soil Id gotten from HD. Id get the darned things cleaned out and as soon as I did any potting up I had a ton of the dratted insects again. This year Ive started using the ProMix that I get in a three cubic foot bag from Blue Seal and havent had any problems with the fungus gnats. I really like the idea of checking out a new potting medium before using it though and will put that in my culture regimen.

Martie and Denise, I still wear pointy toe, high heels even though Im mid 50s. Just love the darned things.

Bug, looks like you had a great time with your family over the holidays but I agree that two weeks of not being around to take care of the plants isnt the best thing for them. No matter how hard I try to show Doug what needs doing he really doesnt get it. I think part of it is a feel for how they are doing also. Sorry you are going to have to pitch some of your plants. Oh well, soon youll have a new puppy and then you wouldnt have time for the indoor plants anyway and Im sure youll have a lot more fun with the new puppy.

Eden, thanks! Glad you enjoyed the pics. The begonias are an angel wing type called Fannie Moser. I also have a variety called Sinbad that isnt doing as well indoors as the Fannie Moser. They all receive the same care so I have no idea why one variety does better than another.

Pm2, yes all the plants in those photographs are grown under lights. I use full spectrum daylight bulbs in my fixtures and leave the lights on from 6:00AM until 10:00PM. And yes, that variegated plant is Abutilon Savitzii. Ive never had any flowers on this one but it was very small when I got it last spring. Its also slow growing but I think it will be worth the effort to have a four foot mature specimen of that variety.

Denise, thanks! How neat you checked out my web site. Side-loading is a technique that can be used with water based paint, mostly acrylics. You have a flat (bright) brush that has a bit of water in it then corner load the brush with paint so that the paint covers about 1/3rd of the bristles. Then, press and pull the brush in short stroking motions of the brush on a waxed palette. This causes the paint to blend in a smooth value change from the corner/paint loaded side of the brush to the clean water side of the brush. Any and all value changes can be glazed onto an acrylic painting in thin applications of color using this technique.

Mary, my phalaenopsis are only just budding up now and are really late to get going this year for some reason. Ill grab a few pics when I have a few more plants in bloom. ~~ Doug will contact you about dinner. Hes looking forward to the visit.

V. ROTFLOL Nashua is the center of the universe. You crack me up. The political stuff is making me crazy. WE get about ten phone calls a day and the doorbell is also ringing several times a day. Makes me want to take my name of the registered voter list. They really go after you if youre registered as an independent.

Michelle, Im so happy to hear youve got a fuchsia thriving under the lights. They really do well with light culture. The only foolproof way to kill them is by overwatering and Ive done my share of that over the years.

OK Ive got to get some exercise in and get some work done here. Have a great day all.

Deanne

PS I finally got a couple of my 2007 garden galleries uploaded. I had troubles because of our Firewall and Doug figured out the problem yesterday. Anyway, Im going to post the links on a separate thread. They have a lot of photos but are worth the wait.

• saucydog
    16 years ago

Good mid morning to you.

Mary, the movie sounds wonderful! I look forward to seeing it myself. It sounds as though your stomach ailments have passed - I cringed at the description.

I just picked up The Alchemist....anyone read it? It looks short but satisfying :) Nothing compared to Atonement or Chelone's selections, I'm sure :)

I'm in the school of thinking that shoes that look good, but hurt, should only be worn when one needs to only walk 20 steps to the table, sit, eat, and 20 steps back out to a vehicle where she will be carted home....I love my Clark's!

What a cupcake, Anise! I agree....let the cute baby wars begin! I love that hat!

I see Deanne is already playing with plants....probably concocting grand schemes for the next season! I am in awe of what you do with plants INSIDE the house! I was the first day I saw your houseplants. I, too, would like to see your orchids! Is it worth sticking my phaleo under the lights? Can I save it?

V., I am highly interested in the Logging part of this show! I can't imagine. Chelone, wanna take a road trip with me? You can get a bunch of states under your belt....do we get to cross the Mighty Miss?

Martie, I am seriously considering some scented geraniums, thank you....I had a rose scented one once that I really liked. I do like textures and scents in the garden almost more than color. I taste alot, too, especially since my neighbor sells a large part of herbs.

Denise, my ship was a Submarine Tender....large, but no Air Craft Carrier. My shop was right on the flight deck (think helo pad) and we used to sit out there alot....especially at night in the middle of the ocean during darken ship....just you and the stars :) A tender does all the repairs for a battle group - which is what we were when we travelled to the first Gulf war. The repairs I did were for all pumps and valves. I later moved to a base where I worked in a shop taking care of A/C for all ships - including some air craft carriers.

Being in the middle of the ocean was all at once boring and exciting....I don't think I'd do it again (not even a cruise ship) now, but I wouldn't trade the experience.

V., I think your dog is very smart if he's able to do yoga :) He was doing the downward facing dog himself....do you get Oxygen? I love the guy who does yoga at 6am....I feel like I'm doing yoga with James Taylor, LOL!

Well, I've taken two calls that need tending to, so I'm out of here...

TTYL

Saucy

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

So grey and foggy here still with thunderstorms predicted for this evening. Perhaps by tomorrow we can find the hoses and store them in the barn at last.
    {{gwi:147992}}

So I've been cleaning up some of the dead and dying cuttings. Here are a few survivors:
    {{gwi:147994}}
    {{gwi:147996}}
    {{gwi:147997}}

The trouble is that the coleus are at the stage where they no longer fit under lights. I probably need to start the process over by now. :(

These cuttings of streptocarpus were blooming before I even stuck them in soil.
    {{gwi:148000}}

And a single begonia leaf produced this plant:
    {{gwi:148002}}

It all keeps me in colour for the winter months, even if I throw away more than I gain.

By the way, have you tried Free Rice lately? I tend to forget about it, but I'm sure hungry people need it just as much now, whether I'm busy or not. I noticed how seriously down all the numbers are since Christmas.

Back to business...
    'bug

• chelone
    16 years ago

No Deanne, not cranky. Just a realist who sees little point in counting down to spring at the expense of all the beauty that winter can bestow, IF you opt to look for it. I think it was John Lennon who made some remark about missing today because you're too busy looking for tomorrow. ;) Remember V., Eastport, Me. is the eastern most point in the USA... and I can walk across the road and view the N. Atlantic; I see what will be well before some of my Idyll friends even stir in their slumber... . But being up and active before it's light is DEFINITELY the way to bust the winter blues, you guys. Really, if daylight is limited, it really does behoove you to get up and make a point of watching it overtake your area. It's magical.

And you all know that I hate kids and dogs, for Pete's sake. Wet spot, what wet spot?! I kick 'em outta the way before they get that close.

Mr. Drywall rolled in at the crack of 11 AM today (the day was half gone, for chrissakes). I have not gone out to inspect the work, but will since the "ROBO installers" broke a lot of corners and several of the cuts were about what I'd expect of MYSELF on a bad day, lol. Helpmeet has set the studs around the stairwell and framed for the door at the base of it. I believe the sheetrock and insulation are ready to be installed, so Mr. Drywall can do his thing before going away.

I'm thinkin' one of V.'s spider babies might be just what I need, though I've drooled over 'bug's Streptocarpus... yummy!

Rex and I went for a "forced march" today. Poor beast, he's taken to going on unchaparoned "walkabouts" lately. NOT good. So I asked him if he wanted me to clip on his "string"? He was silent until I asked him to "tell me", at which point he erupted into frightful barking until the "string" was in my hand. We did the "road walkie" (wow!). He was SO excited about being on his "string" it made me feel really BAD. I would truly love to know the maximum capacity of male dog's bladder... . He took an extended piss before we set out, and damned if he didn't hit virtually everything that had any sort of scent on it all the way out and all the way home. Amazing!

The tree is down, the decorations packed lovingly away for Christmas '08 and most of the needles have been collected and disposed of. Funny how the room looks barren now that our little tribute to the Solstice has been hauled out to the burn pile...

Very warm today and supposed to continue for the next few days... good thing for our renewed skating rink. Yikes. Dog and kitties are still able to travel on the snowpack, though the latter don't venture too far from the security of the woodpile and the deck.

I go back to work tomorrow and will be reindoctrinated by mopping the floor (can't wait!) and then attacking a quickie restaple on a seat that has a new plywood base.

Roger that, 10-4. Over and out.

• veronicastrum
    16 years ago

How warm was it today? Well, it's 59 F right now and a tornado touched down 10 miles north of the house.

I think I can count the drive home as some sort of cardio workout. It normally takes me 20 minutes to drive home, and just after I left the forecaster from the Weather Channel projected that the very real tornado would hit the general area of my house in 20 minutes.

I made in home in just over 10, and the tornado passed north.

But now I'm typing from the basement bathroom (who knew the wireless worked here?) as the sirens have started going nuts. Nothing on the radar, but I think I'll chill here a bit.

I usually think of winter as my respite from tornado season!

V.

• chelone
    16 years ago

Cloudy and warm here (40s?). Much of the driveway rink melted today... no tornado watch here, V..

Yikes! does wireless in the your bathroom make you feel less alone? (hope so).

• triple_creek
    16 years ago

Well, I have been such a slacker, in both the tending of plants and Idylling.
    I have just about decided to stop trying to overwinter plants. I think I need the break and used to only keep houseplants that could thrive with neglect. I think it was just the great new varities of coleus that got me going on saving them in case I couldn't replace them. Oh yes and then their are my angel wing begonias and yadda, yadda ,yadda. Anyway I have been seriously neglecting them.

V, interesting tidbit about the fungus knats. What do they treat with at planting time? I use yellow sticky traps near the lights, and get a lot of them that way. I would much perfer to get knat free potting soil.
    Deanne are you able to buy the pro mix locally, or do you have to order it?
    I see you are plotting out new container designs. Nice backdrop too. Your plants reflect your loving touch.

GB, the dreary snow picture is quite haunting. All the family photos you have shared are priceless. I'll be waiting to hear how DSIL progresses as stay at home Dad. By the way I thought the mural was great. The puppy seems to be developing some of the furry coat. I'm anxious to see it progress. What are the front runners in the name department?

Anise, what a cutie your grandaughter is. I'm intriqued by her name.

Shoes.... Since I am not a dress up kinda gal, mine tend to the more sensible comfy ones. That said however, I noticed how dumpy they looked in the wedding photos. I will have to try to remedy that for the next one in April.

Mary, I have a note jotted down that you asked about my new guitar. I bought a Martin Accoustic Electric one. It wasn't the one I had picked out for a long time, but I think I like it better than the other one. It has a great sound and is easy to fret. It is one of the reasons I haven't been Idylling as much.
    Are you doing violin lessons now?

Also Kathy had asked if I had my pond built. I built it myself, but I did have use of a skidloader to dig and move rocks. Also a supply of rocks from the creek. DH lent a hand when absolutely necessary.
    It was so cold here for a few days that the small waterfall in the little pond out front almost froze up. Since then we have been have spring like weather and the leaves are blowing about , so we have to keep dipping them out. Love the warmth but not the wind.

By the way V is your swiming pond froze over? Do you have a view of it from the house?

Saucy, I agree, the yoga guy on Oxygen does look like James Taylor.
    Your description of sitting on deck at night on the ocean was interesting. I can picture you looking at the stars. Thanks for sharing about you service job. We don't often think about the things it takes to keep everything in running order. I can see why you are such an asset to the business you and Nick have.

Denise, I enjoy hearing about your job and where it leads you as well as your DHs. In fact this whole group is interesting.

Woody, the picture of you sitting on the floor with the dogs was so homey feeling. The companionship of animals is hard to beat. They don't ask for much in return.

Babs, so good to be updated on your goings on. The boys are growing and your fireplace was just great. Waiting for the christmas vacation sequel.

When I think about your area I also think about Drema. So Drema, we need an update on your activities please?

I know I'm going to miss a lot of commenting here but wanted to say hi at least. Not much going on here right now. Wyatt turns five tomorrow, which is about how long I've been posting here I think. His party is not until the weekend. Two more big grandkid birthdays to remember this month too. I'm not very good at remembering things on time. LOL
    I liked the quote someone posted earlier. " sometimes its just too much stuff in your head , and some of it needs to go."

By the way. DH and I were down on the waterfront at Lacleades Landing in St. Louis yesterday. Old cobble streets and outdoor cafes etc. Horse drawn carriages. Brought to mind tales I've read of the earliest fur traders and such that started the city.
    Just thought I'd throw that in. I wish my eyes would allow me to read more. I would do like Chelone and read more history. I do enjoy the history channel on tv though.

I've rambled enough for now. Say goodnight Norma.

• triple_creek
    16 years ago

Yikes V. I hope it has blown over by now.

Chelone, I often sit with no lights on in the house early mornings just to watch the day break.

Oh and returning from St. Louis the other eve, we saw a beautiful sunset. Something I don't get to see here in the woods.
    LOL about Rexs bladder.

• veronicastrum
    16 years ago

A calmer V. has left the bathroom. It was a mildly frightening experience. According to the radio, the storm was out of our area, but then I saw fire trucks headed north and heard all sorts of sirens, including something that sounded like a tornado siren. Now, we're about dab smack between two towns and I don't think I've ever heard a tornado siren, so I'm not sure what it was, but it had that lower pitch that sets it apart from emergency vehicles. And seeing fire trucks headed north is always a bad sign, since we are just north of our town's fire district. Fire trucks going north means they've called on adjoining towns.

So thinking safety first, ask questions later, I grabbed the laptop, the phone and the dogs and headed to the basement bathroom. Really, I was surprised to find out that the wireless worked so well down there. Anyway, several minutes of watching the radar convinced me that there was no storm about to bear down on me.

When the tornado hit north of me, it derailed several cars of a freight train. Now it looks like there is a haz-mat situation going on with one of the railcars. Two more police cars just went by, so it looks like it may be serious.

It is times like this that I don't enjoy being home alone! Yes, the dogs keep me company but I also worry about how I would handle "da both o' dem" if things got more serious.

So in between all of this fun, I took Mystic to the vet again. His allergies flared up again, so the vet ruled out outside causes. Now I think it may be the all-natural peanut butter & molasses dog treats that I switched to about three months ago! I'll keep him off the treats for the next several weeks and see if that helps.

There was an Irish wolfhound in the waiting room who was just stunning. Funny thing was, he and Mystic decided that they were long-lost friends! Quite interesting to see how these two just immediately took to each other. The wolfhound made Msytic look like a toy poodle, though. His owner said he had had a similar reaction to another black lab they had encountered in a store not too long ago. Can't say that Mystic has ever seen another Irish Wolfhound, though.

Chelone, I'm going to go take a baby off my spider plant right now and start rooting it. Then we'll both have to go to Deanne's TYNAW party so I can give you your new plant!

'bug, I thought you hate coleus, like Chelone hates dogs and kids? Don't tell Deanne, but when my overwintered coleus get too tall, I just prune them back and throw away the prunings!

Hi Norma! My pond was all frozen until today, now there's open water around the edges. We didn't have any interesting patterns like your pond, though - just milky white ice. We don't have a good view of the pond from inside the house, but you can easily see it from the deck or the screened porch. I've only been to downtown StL a couple of times, but I have thought about all the history that took place there. I would have liked to see the Mighty Miss before it was so civilized.

Speaking of the Mississippi, Saucy, it's still a couple of hours west of me (and Chicago). But if you and Chelone came out here, I would gladly drive you over to Rock Island and we could view the river and do a little bald eagle watching.

In the "what next?" catgory, I now have helicopters going over. I suspect it's news crews out of Chicago. I'll have to try to stay awake for the 10:00pm news!

I think it's time to clean up the kitchen, pack tomorrow's lunch and then settle down with the yoga tape again. It was filmed in Maui, with no tornados in sight!

V.

• deanneart
    16 years ago

Evening all,

Well thats a scare and a half V!!!!! Holy moly, I turned on the Weather Channel after I read your post and it looks like there is an enormous squall line wreaking havoc. So glad you and home are OK.

Bug, lovely plants. That Peter Wonder is a beautiful coleus and I killed my cuttings of that one!!! Grrrr. I havent seen any more aphids upstairs though so it was worth the loss of plants to get rid of the dam ed bugs.

Chelone, Ohhhh .got it, in truth, I dont pine away my days waiting for spring and I do enjoy the winter for many reasons including my quiet time with the birds and camera, but, I also like dreaming about the coming spring. But as much as you enjoy the emerging daylight this time of the year I really love a good, screaming Noreaster. Speaking of weather, we broke the record for the warmest its ever been here in January. The temp got up to 49 and the previous record was 48. We are apparently going to hit another high temp tomorrow and Wednesday. Go figure?

Saucy, is that photo the vessel you were stationed on? Very neat shot. ~~ Id definitely try the Phalaenopsis under the lights. They do very well in light culture.

Hi Norma, re shoes, Ive see some really nice looking dress flats lately with open toes, bows, metallic or patent leather. Anyway, there are some nice dressy shoes out there with low heels. ~~ That quote about too much stuff. And some of it needs to go." Applies to my house big time. Sometimes Id like to gut the place and start over again. How on earth do we collect so much stuff?

OK I finished my 2007 Autumn Garden gallery today also and Im going to add that link to the other thread. Take a peek when you have the time please.

Nite all,
    Deanne

• veronicastrum
    16 years ago

I didn't want to use the "e" word but the radio just did - 500 residents evacuated about 9 miles away due to the railcar leak. Fortunately, the wind is blowing from me towards the site of the leak, so we shouldn't be in any danger here.

But you do start wondering who would take in me AND my dogs?

V.

• dodgerdudette
    16 years ago

I wonder can the photos get any better around Idyll land ? The dead of winter and so much to view including cute baby pics. I decided to sit down and pay bills before I go look at Deannes gallery; who knows how long I may lollygag over that .

Anise do I see a plant in the background of Baby Micas pic ? Always on the lookout yknow.

Scented geraniums-I have some that have lost their tags many moons ago, but my fave is the basic peppermint. Most of mine will die to the ground in winter , but roar back just fine in spring I usually move them close up to the house under the eaves and that will suffice. But I always take a cutting of the peppermint just in case. Nutmeg always weathers the winter best unless we get low 20s.

Deanne your winter garden looks very perky indeed ! Im kind of looking forward to having an overwintering set-up of some sort. I will have a greenhouse , but the size is yet to be determined and Im certain that there will be items coming indoors. I also have Abutilon Savitzii. It stays out all winter, and has never bloomed for me. Ive had it about 3 years.

Saucy may be the first to post a bum shot of a ship.

V ..thinkin maybe the Midwest has the most hateful weather in the US. Maybe our windstorm last Friday just kept moving your way. Our weather emergencies here are usually flood related and a basement is no place to be (if you can even find a house that has one-a basement is not a great place to be during an earthquake either) but it surely is scary when the sirens start going. Hey I got an invite to the Mid-Am . Not a happening thing for me. Got Florida in Feb, possibly again in March, Vegas in May, and that may be all she wrote for me after 20 years of schlepping around to these things . Most of the hort trade shows we go to are in fall .

Nice to see you Norma ! Ive been to Lacleades Landing in St Louis too it was a few years ago though. We listened to a great jazz group but I dont remember the name of the club/restaurant we were in. Been to St Louis several times but never got much further afield than the several blocks around the convention center. I do however have a great memory of a Willie Nelson concert at the old restored Fox theater what a tight band that guy had.

OK, time to go look at Deannes gallery, and hi to everyonebut where is Marian? She hasnt checked in for several days I dont think Yoo hoo Marian !

Kathy in Napa

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Bathroom, helicopters, dogs, sirens, haz-mat, evacuation... V, would you please settle down!!! It's not going to happen, but anyone would take you in! Eden, Honey, Dremma...ME! Woody would probably at least take the dogs! ;-) Just don't start running off in pointed 5" stiletto heels. (I'd wear ugly black running shoes with orthotics...Oh yeah, I aready do.)

LOL about Saucy's "first to post a bum shot of a ship". Also enjoy the concept of "dueling" grandchildren! Hehehehe.

Well things have melted enough that we FOUND the hoses. Maybe tomorrow we can do something about storing them.

I'm enjoying creating light soups for dinners these days. Tonight it was Udon noodles, spicy broth, cabbage, mushroons, a bit of chicken and water chestnuts. Mmmmmm. (No chocolate though) Having the lighter meal at night seems a good idea to me, just like Marian does. Are you making that owl puzzle O quiet one?

Last year at this time winter had not even begun and the family was here for their visit! I remember driving Skyler about on the mower and Chalotte running about with us through the grass. Hard to believe! We are having a sort of heat wave now, at least a break from bitter cold. But there will be more winter in our future I am certain. That's why I have those coleus (which I hate!) still struggling in the back room. I also have a lavender plant which each week seems to lose more stems, yet I want to save it badly!!! Same with my rosemary.

Came home with daffodils and hyacinths today. I NEEDED them! Mary gave me the idea.
    'bug

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago

More thawing with mild temps today.

Little Mica is a doll!

Deanne, you certainly have the Midas touch with indoor gardening. Mine are surviving, but yours are thriving! Fun to see my babies looking so good at your house. I havent had a chance to check out your picture thread, but I certainly will. I tried to de-Christmas my house tonight. I dont believe Ive ever been so late.

bug, your indoor plants are looking great too. I did the Free Rice thing today for a bit.

Norma, Im very impressed that you built your own pond.

V, that is unreal, tornado in January. If you get Chelone over the Miss, whats a few hundred more miles to my place? Im impressed that you pack your lunch the night before, I usually scramble in the a.m.

As for houseplants, cactus, aloe vera and umbrella tree.

Night all, I think I should go check my plants under lights. Deanne, no worry about over watering, under watering is usually the problem

Michelle

• babs_clare
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh pooh!I'm behind again-and *already*!lol

Deanne I am chuckling because I look at my pitiful coleus.etc. cuttings on my windowsill that look like crap but I figure they are stuck with no sun and in just water and here are your potted cuttings looking wonderful/spectacular-it just struck me funny: )

Saucy I have been thinking of you alot because I don't want you to ever feel like you are a slacker when it comes to creative pursuits-it's just not true and I do believe Mary, and I know for myself, that we did have a bit of formal training for the artistic stuff....hey,you are the tufa artist-didn't you try that? Honestly I think anyone who gardens has that creative streak: )
    BTW I had the kids lunches packed and clothes lined up as well the night before-they were great getting up so early these last two days-so that was a relief. As for myself...all I can think of is when will I get back into my cozy bed again?...lol.

~drive by cuz I hafta go to work : (
    ~Babs

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Rain here. 57F expected today. The snow is mostly gone and the creek is flooding. Would you believe MOLE HILLS?! Snow expected again by Friday. So glad I have the daffodils and some good news! We get to socialize with the puppies on Feb 3rd and bring ours home on the 16th. Wheeeeee!
    PS: The hoses are in the barn at last! We never did get the storm windows up after the painters left....

• just_t
    16 years ago

Hello from an Idyll slacker! Life has been a bit chaotic around here (again or still?) and I've been unable to have the computer time that I use to have. Hopefully soon (very, very soon?) I will only have the twins 2 days a week and then with that, have more 'me' time and be back to visiting with all of you more often. I miss you!! Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love taking care of these little men.....but I am selfish enough to cherish my free time, too.

Babies are here and just waking from their nap (I hear giggles from the bedroom so not long before the yelling for Grammie to come get them out of their cribs begins). I am so very behind on reading so forgive me for not commenting on anyone or anything this time. I hope to catch up with reading soon.

My best to all!!!
    T

Oh! I'm typing this on my new wireless laptop!! Don't I think I'm hot stuff to be sitting in an easy chair in the living room instead of stuck to my chair at the PC desk. :o) It is the little pleasures in life that add up to big smiles. ;o)

Okay, being 'paged' now so need to go..

• veronicastrum
    16 years ago

How nice to see an idyller slacker checking in! We miss you and your elk stories, T. Hope the twins and the other grandkids are doing well. Enjoy the wireless laptop!

Things are much calmer here today. Sadly, I found out today that an apple orchard that our family really has enjoyed was heavily damaged by the tornado. Fortunately, none of the apple trees were damaged, but all of their buildings, including the owners' home, were heavily damaged. At least buildings can be rebuilt or improvised by fall, but there's no way you would reproduce an apple crop in one season.

Deanne, did I tell you that your cuttings are amazing?

Chelone, I'm rooting a baby for you.

I have been amazingly productive since I got home this afternoon. Lots of little odds and ends cleared up. In between I've been burning my favorite CD's to my iPod. Now I'm going to clear some odds and ends out of the fridge and create fried rice with it.

Michelle, if I don't organize my lunch the night before, I end up spending my lunch half-hour cruising to the taco bell in the next town. While I don't mind TB too much, I figure my homemade food is probably a little better for me!

No more great words of wisdom from me, so I guess I'll get back to work.

V.

• deanneart
    16 years ago

Good evening all,

Warning I need to rant and rave a bit. Im writing this to try and distract myself because Im really, really hungry and Im out of calories for the day.. Trying to get serious and lose the weigh I accumulated last year. Grrrrrr.. I paid more attention to something else (like being distressed for DDs mess of a life) and pouff the weight just attaches itself back to my ample butt. It seems if Im not super diligent every single day of my life I gain weight at light speed. Makes me crazy because I REALLY love good wine and good food. Grrrrr OK end of rant.

V. Im so glad you are OK but sad to hear about the apple orchard. Farmers have a difficult enough time eking out a living that things like that can put them out of business. Thank goodness the tress are all right. ~~ So glad you like the pic of the plants. You can see them in person end of next month???

Hi T. how great to hear from you. You are going to be completely spoiled with the wireless set up. I know I am. And yes, being wireless is one of the big pleasures in life. LOL

Bug, Ill bet you cant wait to get that puppy home. How fun. Will you be able to take pictures when you visit on te 3rd? ~~ It actually got up to 62 degrees here today and I had my sliding door open. Incredible. ~~ I had to do a double take when I read your post because it thought you said you finally got the horses into the barn. LOL

Babs, if I had to accomplish in a day what you do I probably wouldnt even have cuttings on the window sill.

Michelle, I got all our Christmas stuff put away last weekend and as much as I love the decorations it feels good to have my house back to normal. I guess everything is fun in its season. ~~ RE your babies Im tickled pink that they are doing so well this winter. I almost lost them over last winter and they are special because they came from you.

Martie, you arent going to believe this but my Goodwin Creek is going to bloom under the lights!!! Cool!

Kathy, Im so jealous that you are going to have a greenhouse. Id dearly love a cold greenhouse for my fuchsias. Theyd do so much better in that situation than in my basement because it really is a bit to warm for them down there. RE your A. Savitzii, how large has it gotten for you in three years. Ive heard that they arent very vigorous but I saw a couple gorgeous specimens at Chanticlear this summer and just love the foliage on that plant.
    {{gwi:148003}}

OK well Im still hungry but the urge to stuff a cow down my throat has passed so I guess I can brush my teeth and get ready for bed. LOL Have a great evening all.

Deanne

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

So sorry Deanne. Fretting about our kids is the pits. I used to drink a BIG glass of water and then walk the treadmill when I got hungry. It worked much of the time to distract me. I need to return to that mode FAST! LOL about those horses in the barn!

I expect to take photos of the pups when we visit them. I don't think it will disturb them too much. We'll see how it goes.

It really was dramatic here today with huge ice flows crashing into our bridge. As long as the bridge holds (it will!), we are OK. May lose some plants though. Then it all starts again with snow on Friday. Darn....

I'm really behind in my book club reading. Sigh. Having DH home all the time means less gets done. How is that???

Hi T! Hope you have a bit more time soon, though time with grandkids can't be beat [most of the time ;-)].

Ciao for now,
    'bug

• triple_creek
    16 years ago

Hi T, good to hear from you. I'm looking forward to your being around more.

V, good to hear it didn't hit your place. Scary stuff.
    I called to wish Wyatt Happy Bithday tonite, and DS said they were all really tired. Jake is really frightened of storms so they were up most of the night. While I heard some of it, I guess I slept through the worst. DH said it got pretty wicked here too. At least we should be getting built up on some of the rain we missed all year. It would be nice to see water in the creeks again.

We had a nice visit and lunch out today with friends. DH has been antsy the last couple of days so It was a nice break.

I hope everyone is well. Norma

• dodgerdudette
    16 years ago

A rainy Tuesday in NorCal and a quick check in---

I especially loved the fuchsia pics on Deannes Autumn gallery. So many of the named varieties that I have known all the way back to my childhood-Southgate, Swingtime, Dark eyes.. etc. I noticed that you had no name on the all white- I had one that succumbed to the dreaded mite that was very like that and was Feather Duster. Thanks for taking the time to take these photos, name them and post them .I m sure it was a labor of love . A visit to your garden is on my to-do list! Re: the Abutilon, it has never gotten over 2 ft for me. I dont thing the location is the best though. This is one of the plants that will be moving with me.

T, Hi and nice to see another PST dweller checking in. ! Who is your wireless internet provider up there ? My BILs have Qwest in Portland but I have not heard much to impress me about them thus far, and I find their computer to be way slower than what I am used to.

Ok gotta go, see yall later

Kathy in Napa

• deanneart
    16 years ago

Good morning all,

Well Im in a much better mood with breakfast under my belt and feeling proud that I didnt succumb to the hungries last night. I just went to bed and read a book. ~~ I did my civic duty and voted yesterday. I went to the polls around 2:30PM and I was able to just breeze in and out. Worked out well. Im SO glad this is over. My telephone must have rung about fifteen times yesterday. I dont know why these people think an annoying phone call to my residence will gain my vote.

Kathy, sooo glad you liked the fuchsia pics. I had a really great time recording their flush of fall blooms. I dont believe Ive ever had so very many flowers on them as I did last fall. The weather must have been perfect for them. RE the white one, it is a variety I picked up at HD and didnt have a tag. I wish I knew what its name was as its a lovely variety. Slow to get going in the spring like Constance but a real trooper late summer and fall. ~~ You are welcome to come and visit here anytime, but late July and August are the best months for our gardens here.

Bug, pretty scary with ice flows hitting your bridge. I dont know that Id want to drive over it when that was going on! LOL

Norma, glad you didnt get any damage from those storms. Id hear that There were tornados in Arkansas too. Hope Marian is OK.

All right, time to get to the gym and do my hour on the stairs. Have a great day everyone!
    Deanne

• chloehoover
    16 years ago

Good morning -- I just wanted to pop in a wee bit and offer some shoulder for you, Deanne -- I know all too well how those lbs creep (or in my case, wham! in a month) back on -- I gained almost 15 from the excuse of the houseguest and family issues in the last couple of months and am trying to get back to losing those and more - it's soo tough - especially when we love food to begin with, right? You really do have such willpower though, Deanne -- just think of all you've accomplished weight and health wise generally in the last # of years!

I just got a chance to start looking at all the breathtaking photos that you took the time to post, Deanne -- you've unfortunately re-invigorated my desire (and searching, LOL) for mail order perennials (when I thought I would swear off). As we know, I DO NOT have any willpower -- whether it's food or plants - eeeks. I only got to look at the first string so far - it's been wacky crazy here at ofc again. And I havent yet looked at all of 'bug's photos either -

You guys are such fantastic photographers - I guess it goes along w/ being such creative gardeners - you capture it all so incredibly.

We hit a record high of 73 yesterday - but winter is descending again -- there's even talk of some of that s*** stuff Sunday nite -- Im having trouble w/ these extremes - it makes for a tough adjustment for clothes in offices and sleeping at nite! I forget that a lot of you folks have been experiencing a real "winter" w/ lots of that stuff and ice, etc.

I had to chuckle outloud w/ the wonders of wireless -- and V, you taking it into shelter in the bathroom with you! Must be your new "security blanket"? I find Chloe is not so fond of wireless - that thing on my lap interferes w/ her relaxation.

Is it Friday yet? Having to work a full 5 days in a row is tough, tough.

Maybe we should all start cuttings of houseplants for Chelone to send to her to try out? Altho I think w/ the south facing exposure she was talking about, that's supposed to be ideal for houseplants isnt it(at least for those that like sun?)... I squish all of mine in the eastern exposure ones I've got and they limp along.

Hey, Denise -- the geminiflora agave seems to be the only succulent really suffering from my care so far -- it's limp, limp & a few tendrils(?) are turning yellow/brown & dying -- I was watering lightly once a week -- I can't decide if Im overwatering, underwatering, or it's suffering from being too close to a window or not enough sun.... Any other agave nuts got some ideas? I keep meaning to email Yucca-do to get their advice but only remember when I get home and see it....

And o, yes, Saucy -- I think I recall you asking about St. John's? My DD & her husband went there last summer and adored it - they said it was one of the most beautiful beaches they've seen (& they both donned scuba gear to explore - a first for her).

I know I've forgotten most everyone else here -- but wanted to just say congrats to Deanne for making it thru the hungries battle for the nite -- keep up the good work.

--Cindy

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Good Morning! Good to see others awake and busy already. I'm slowed down...sore throat. I hope it doesn't escalate into strep throat and have been gargling salt water...which I hate. With my brother arriving tomorrow, I hate to think I could be contagious then.

Well it has been a VERY noisy night and morning with high winds and flooding. I'll post another thread soon as I took some photos. I saw a poor blue heron trying to go fishing...but no way would a fish be nearby at this time of year with such a current.

Feeling badly about my indoor gardening abilities, I went out and bought 2 tiny variegated ivy plants at the grocery store. Hey, they're alive!

Cross your fingers that the water isn't still rising....
    'bug

• denisez10
    16 years ago

'bug, your comment re the waters still rising gave me a start. I wrote a rather flip comment to your picture thread, which looks like a novelty to me being so unfamiliar with such conditions, that the danger never occurred to me. Thinking of your farm today with receding waters.

Tornadoes, floods, what's next?

Mitch in NYC had a good job interview yesterday, got along well with the office German Shepherd and thinks he may have nailed the position, kind of an office assistant/photo assistant hybrid.

I pirated that geranium site, it's not mine. Not sure of ethics but just grabbed the first picture I found.

Cindy, re the geminiflora, I'd say keep it on the dry side. I've seen those in four inch pots local and will grab one if still available for your spring backup.

Gotta run, hello to all. Deanne, you are one strong-minded person. Shall we do an idyll post-holiday group diet? No numbers, just encouragement.

• Marian_2
    16 years ago

Wow ! You all have been busy since I was last here. Espacially Marie with all her links and pics....:-)

My computer bit the dust last wednesday. I finally broke down and took it to a repair man. It was first thought that the modem had died...but that turned out to not be the case. Now he is sure it is a virus. He is diligently working on correcting the problem. He had hoped to have it ready for me to bring home yesterday, but couldn't...:-(
    So he did the next best, and set up a loaner for me. I miss my email but will not bother trying to set it up on this machine.
    I have skimmed over the recent posts, and want to thank V for the info on Netflix. I keep buying more DVDs but need to cut down on doing that!
    I am thankful to hear that the Monday's storms did no harm to anyone who we have heard from. I hope this is true of our Oklahoma members also.( I haven't checked the Ozark Gardening forum yet. ) I was glued to the TV all evening, and very impressed by the weathermen on Springfield's stations, espacially KY3.
    We had some driving winds and electrical storms with hail,and heavy rains, but no damage. Although we were under a tornado watch until 5AM I went to bed around 10 and slept through most of what was going on outside. Nolon apparently heard more of it than I did.

Marie, I finished the owl puzzle a couple of days ago. It is a pretty picture. I felt it was tougher than the Hummingbird one, because of much less color. I haven't taken it up yet, but have been rather at a loss with no computer and no puzzle to work on !

My appologies to all that I offended with the link I put on my member page....the ensuing silence is palpable!

Marian

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    16 years ago

Cindy, you are warmer than we are here. Yesterday we did beat a record I believe at 62 degrees. Warm and windy right now and looks like by Friday it will be in the high 30s again and rain predicted. Forecasts have a way of changing around here though, the closer you get to the day predicted. Snow is almost melted in the garden.

Hello Denise...Will keep my fingers crossed that Mitch gets the job!

Sorry to hear about your computer problems Marian. Nice that they offered you a loaner though. They don't always.

GBug....you sound so calm describing your flooded landscape. Does that mean this isn't the first time it has happened? I hope it will recede quickly enough to limit the damage. Really sorry to hear you are getting a sore throat just as your brother is due for a visit. We keep a supply of face masks in the house the past few winters. Seems to be making a difference in how many people in the house come down with something. Not fun to visit in a mask though. [g]

I think I would rather deal with the Nor'easters in the winter, than flooding and tornados. My sincere sympathies to those of you dealing with extreme weather.

No crisis here today to report. My DH injured his back 4 months ago and had his follow up this morning and is doing very well and doesn't have to go back any more. He is continuing an independent program to stay on track at the PT though. We are very happy that PT worked and no surgery was needed. We have managed to walk three times since the new year and heading out again tonight.

That's about it from here...I'll be back when I have something interesting to report. Right now it is just boring. [g] Nothing boring about all of your posts though. I am sure some of you are wishing for less interesting about now. :-)

Enjoy your day...!
    pm2

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago

Not much going on here. We're working on our flooring project. Since it is a floating floor, we will be adding quarter round trim, so that needs to be painted for the beadboard and stained for the cabinets. Tonight is our office holiday party. Kind of weird, but its here at the office and right after work.

T, grandkids are lots of fun, but its ok to want your own life too. Enjoy the laptop.

Deanne, that is just the pits that you have to work so hard and then the weight still comes on the minute you let your guard down. I did some work with my cuttings after being so inspired by yours. At least they are now pinched and watered. Several of the coleus and pelargoniums look fabulous. Others not so much. One of the fabulous ones is from you. I don't recall the name. Its kind of cream, green and pink.

Denise, good luck to Mitch on the job.

PM2, what good news that you DH was able to avoid surgery. Im definitely for that.

Norma, glad to hear that you were unaffected by the storms. Happy birthday to Wyatt. Is he 5?

Stay warm and dry!

Michelle

• ctlavluvr
    16 years ago

Wow, every time I hear a news/weather report it seems like another Idyller is in a stormy path! Hope everything calms down soon.

PM2: So glad DH is doing well. LOL about Hibiscus 'The Path' and your DH twisting your arm. I was there and know it took about a 2deg turn to get you to say "yes"

Deanne: That you recognize the need to make some changes is 90% of the battle. We're with you!!! Ah 1, and ah 2, and ah 3.....

Chelone: I silently (okay, not so silently) cursed you for not taking Rich up on his offer since I ended up doing sanding, anyway, and no tree gift was offered for my solo performance. LOL Love the idea that your Rex enjoys his string. Any dog that likes to be on a leash is hard to hate.

So good to hear from T.! Just woken giggling toddlers are a true blessing.

Marian: Computers are great until they aren't, period. I did look at your link but am choosing not to get into a discussion on beliefs here, only to say that I'm glad this group's similarities outweigh differences, or there would be no group :-)

Denise: HOOOORAY for Mitch!! We've been deficient in trying to reach him again, but hope he sticks around on the East coast! Did you ever get your word on your house in lights?

Cindy - Good to hear you sounding more like yourself :-)

Kathy and All -- remember this is coming from Martie the toss-the-plant-when-appropriate Gal. I say we all head to California and yank plants for Kathy so that things like 2'tall Var. Abutilons will not perish. Do you have any idea how BIG that seems to this New Englander?? Even in the "wrong place"??

Mary: May I rent Annie for a few weeks? I could use kitchen backup! LOL Your beading sounds mind-bending. Looking forward to pics.

V: There are just no words for that kind of fear ..... Hope you did something especially nice for yourself when you surfaced.

Wishing I could hang out a bit longer but a conference call with $$$$ attached is due any second.

Stay Safe Everyone!!

Martie

• Marian_2
    16 years ago

Martie, I had no wish to create a discussion...just wanted to clear up a few things so there would be no misunderstandings. When I get my computer back, I will delete that link. I desire peace, not controversy!

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

I hope there are no storm's brewing anywhere.

I'm just here to share that Katie's GPS (it's hers really so that I can take her places) got me to the recycle center which accepts used computer equipment today.

I feel like a free woman! 7 monitors, 2 printers, 2 hard drives, 1 fax machine fit in my car and I was so happy to nestle them into the the big red trucks at the dump. There was an attendant there who told me quick firmly 'no toaster ovens.' I don't have a toaster oven so to keep the conversation going said: 'What about microwaves?' He pointed off in the distance and then watched me carefully to make sure a microwave didn't end up in the hard drive and printer truck.

So. I think next week, I'll take the dead microwave from the cellar, along with 3 laptops and 3 more hard drives that need be cleaned first- data not dust:) I may have to take pictures of my attic when I'm done, but it is so much better already! Audrey was curled up on an old bench up there all day. Looking for mice I hope, as most of the orientals stored up there had been....de-fringed. They also knawed on some fake gourds and pumpkins.

Deanne, I don't know anyone who works harder at managing their body than you do. I'm sorry you're suffering, just not fair. But you're beautiful, so don't be too hard on yourself.

Loved all the pics, no time to comment, but wanted to say hi, especially to that sweet new entrant 'Mica'. What a cutie! And Saucy, that ship is serious! Wow.

Cynthia

(PS: Chelone, spring is here! 70s all week, 60 something today. I get up between 4 and 5 and the sun doesn't come up here until 3PM or so :-)

• dodgerdudette
    16 years ago

The var. Abutilon is also moving to Oregon. Sorry Martie ! But Im leaving behind about 60 roses that you are welcome to come dig up ! Abutilons often survive the winter quite nicely here .

Marian, glad to see you back .. I hope your computer recovers ok ! Do you think you will loose any data?

Denise, good vibes out to the youngun trying to make a stand in the Big City. Hope he gets the position if he wishes it. A foot in the door is often all it takes.

Cindy, I will second Denises advise to keep that agave on the dry side. Remember that these plants live in our landscapes here with no/very little summer water at all. To me , once a week sounds like a lot. The few succulents I move inside for the winter (mostly Kalanchoes which are frost tender) get water maybe once a month.

Cynthia, I did an electronics recycle last June ..what a great feeling that was to get rid of that stuff ! I had one of those giant pre-flat screen monitors, old defunct stereo equipment and speakers, and about 4 dead keyboards. I now have another pile collected in the garage, awaiting the next free recycle event at our community college.
    A Katie update ??? Please advise !

Deanne, Ill keep the peak garden times in mind ! How fun it would be to do a NE Idyll tour ..and what Cindy said- your discipline is admirable.

Ok time to go for tonight

Kathy in Napa

• triple_creek
    16 years ago

Marian, bad that you had computer trouble, good that you didn't get hit by a tornado.

Yes Michelle, Wyatt did turn five. I'mm looking forward to his party Sat. Haven't seen him since christmas.

Our weather is turning colder again but the sun was shining today. I made a stab a taking care of the plants under the lights downstairs. Was able to take a few out on the patio and hose them off. I hope to get back down there tomorrow and do some repoting.
    The whole basement needs a cleanup/makeover. Cynthia when you are finished with the attic come on over. Does it take special hardware to clean an old hardrive? I need look up a place to take some old equipment too.

Where is Wendy? Norma

• Marian_2
    16 years ago

Kathy, I still had all my documents and pictures when I took it in, so I don't think they will be lost. I sure hope not! I am sure missing having all of my stuff, including my great long list of bookmarked sites, and my email. Thanks...I am glad to be able to let all know that I am okay....both mentally and physically..:-)

Norma, I am glad our weather is turning back to more seasonal temps. I was afraid there would be a lot of premature growth and get frozen back like last year. Did your temps get up to 70? Ours did. I didn't even need a fire in our stove for 2 days ! I noticed the insects were coming out. I wouldn't have been surprised to have seen a snake...it was so warm.

Pm2, I doubt if the repairman sends loaners home with all his costumers. That is just one of the perks of being an old lady....LOL. Besides, he and I have a mutual friendship with the ISP tech of my internet service. ( I have never met her in person, but have consulted her frequently over the phone.) She is the one who recommended him to me.
    When I got the loaned computer home, and hooked up all the components, I couldn't get it to connect with my ISP. It was so frustrating, because all else was working. I finally called for help, and she walked me through the problem. It turned out that the phone number that he had put on the computer for the connection was for Boone County, and I live in Newton County !Duh! Now why didn't I notice that !!?? Funny how simple some of our problems turn out to be.

• deanneart
    16 years ago

Good evening everyone,

Well Im in a much better mood tonight and am slowly getting to the resigned to my fate stage. Yes, it doesnt seem fair that I can exercise this much and still gain weight at the whiff of a whoopee pieLOL. I guess I ate too many of them. Te he The deal is that its just too darned easy to put too much into my mouth when there is lots of good eating around if Im not counting every single calorie that goes into my mouth. Ive got to keep my consumption under 1,500 per day and do an hour of cardio and burn off 500 on the stairs if I want to lose any weight and that will only get me about a one pound a week loss. The good news is that I can still do an hour on the Stairmaster and my knees dont hurt so that is a very, very good thing. Im sure there are a lot of women my age who couldnt do the workouts I put in and I have to feel pretty good about my fitness level.

I have to thank all of you for being so supportive and letting me vent my frustration. I wont make a habit of it. Promise. Youre all pretty marvelous and I needed that positive reinforcement. Im remembering that the year I took off the initial 100 pounds I went to bed hungry every night. It is just time to get used to that again.

Norma, I LOL when I read that you took some plants out on the patio to hose them off, I did exactly the same thing today. I had a couple plants that had mites that needed a good hosing and treatment with miticide. Ive got them draining off in the garage overnight and will bring them in tomorrow all sparkling clean.

Kathy, wed all LOVE it if you came to visit and did the tour of our NE gardens. Lots to see in our neck of the woods.

Cynthia, I sincerely wish I could get Doug to clean out our old computers, keyboards, monitors, lap tops, etc., etc. His shop is filled with stuff that we will never, ever use again. He is a total packrat and it takes quite a bit of persuasion, coercion, and sometimes outright threats to get him to part with his stuff. I can imagine you feel like a free woman getting rid of all that old computer stuff. In my dreams.

Martie, Ummmm, right now I have four, two-foot abutilons under the lights downstairs, along with your blooming Goodwin Creek lavender. Dont you have a light set-up for your seed starting? Its quite a bit of fun in the winter to tend the babies. Abutilons are really easy to winter over and a couple of my A. pictums are four years old now.

Michelle, isnt it fun to pinch and groom those indoor coleus and pelargoniums???? I think its therapeutic. Pics of the fabulous looking plants please. I dont recall the name of that coleus but might if I saw a photo.

PM2 I agree that Id rather deal with a rip snorting blizzard than tornados. WE do get flooding here but not where our house is located. ~~ Glad to hear your DH is doing well after his injury.

Denise, a group diet is a great idea. I think we did something similar about four years ago and a lot of us took off some weight. ~~ Congrats to Mitch. Hope he gets that job.

Bug, hope the water is receding tonight.

Cindy, thanks so much, you are really sweet. I completely understand the gain weight when you are under stress thing. Some people lose weight and unfortunately, like you, I gain. I know you can take it off too. Im planning on having this all off my back by June. No ifs ands or buts about it. When my back begins to hurt again and my knees begin to get painful it gives me a wake up call. I have no choice but to get it off if I want to continue to stay active.

So the last couple days Ive had zip birds in the feeders here. I know the warmer temps and loss of snow pack will reduce the numbers but I had NO birds at all. Well I figured it out, guess who came for lunch today????

{{gwi:148005}}

Yep it was my local Sharp-shinned Hawk. No wonder the song birds have been scarce. I took the pic through the closed slider and was surprised that it turned out marginally OK. Believe me, my windows really arent clean so this was a surprise.

OK, time to hit the sack. Im beat and need to get to the gym early tomorrow.

Nite all
    Deanne

• veronicastrum
    16 years ago

OK, I wrote a long rant about something that happened to me, and then it got deleted by mistake. So I'll take that as a sign that I should just say good evening to my idyll friends, and I'll be back tomorrow!

V.

• idon'tthinkso_aol_com
    16 years ago

Good morning

We had a lovely visit here with Doug Tuesday night (he is here on one of his frequent business trips). Deanne - thank you for the loan of your hubbie!! That hawk is fantastic, not one I'm familiar with. Your workouts sound incredible and it is completely rotten that with all your calorie restriction weight still has a way of creeping back.

We were awoken around 5 the yesterday morning as 75 mph winds blew through the area sounding like a freight train. We lost power and then internet for the rest of the day but fortunately no tree of property damage. Annie and David had an unexpected day off school which they thoroughly enjoyed with neighbors playing Pictionary and watching DVD's of I Love Lucy and Fawlty Towers when power returned. No such luck for me - my school district stayed open and I had a few anxious moments driving in.

Denise - that is very exciting for DS - I have my fingers croseed for him.

Norma - how fun you are enjoying your new guitar so much.

Marian - glad you are safe.

Cynthia - how is Katie doing?

I need to get ready for work so will catch everyone else later.

Mary

• idon'tthinkso_aol_com
    16 years ago

How wierd - I had to give my name and email to get this to post. Anyone else had to do so? I thought they removed emails from our posts a long time ago for security reasons.

Mary

• idontthinkso_aol_com
    16 years ago

LOL, Mary, I hope they fix this soon!

I'm just checking in and will catch up when I return from the gym.

Saucy

• idontthinksoeither_gmail_com
    16 years ago

Hi...I had the same problem on this forum but it didn't require the email address on another forum. Well..hope this will post now...

Good morning..

Thanks to all for your good wishes for my DH. :-) We got out and walked again last night and it is starting to feel more comfortable. Holding my breath that I can continue along and make it a routine. I have tried this a number of times before and have had trouble with it.

Martie, you are right, it was no hardship to bring home 'The Path'. There is very little that my DH would like that I wouldn't like just as much...lol.

V..... So tell me, what are your favorite CDs that you recently uploaded to your IPOD? I have not been making the time to listen to music for way too long. I haven't had anything new that interests me in a long time, so maybe that's it. My daughter surprised me when just before Christmas she asked me to listen to a singer she is listening to a lot. Michael Buble. When I heard a few of his songs, I got a good chuckle, since he sounds so much like a lot of the old singers that I have tried on many occasions to interest the kids in. Frank Sinatra...being one. So evidently my efforts were not without effect. [g]

Your last post gave me a good chuckle this morning. Have had that happen to me so often, that now I am in the habit of composing my posts in WordPad before copy/pasting to the forum. Hope you have a better day today. :-)

Deanne...I just really loved that photo you posted of Chanticlear. Is that a large gardenia behind the bench? Whoever composed that little sitting area had a lot of talent. Understated and elegant. Those two abutilons are so exciting! So full, so healthy and something about the shape of the leaf and just a perfect balance of variegation for me. Thanks for posting that!

Saucy.....I just noticed the photo of the Dixon that you posted. So fascinating that you served on a ship! Was that the navy or the coast guard? It has me wondering about when you became interested in gardening. Oh, I meant to ask you about this new ability to request copies of a deceased Social Security application. I tried starting to do some research for a family tree, but I had so little info to go on, I just had to let it go. So, you can request the copy but only if you have the Social Security number?

Norma....Nice to see a post from you. :-) I pretty much decided not to overwinter plants too. This year I am keeping a few easy houseplants that will move out to the garden in the good weather. For a few years, I was trying to keep coleus going all winter and experimenting with overwintering annuals, but I found I was just too distracted with other things to give them the time. Maybe at some point I will try it again. For some reason I haven't seen any fungus knats this year.

So you never did say how you are doing with your new guitar. You must be getting pretty good at it. Do you record any of your music?

I also rarely get to see a sunrise or sunset, just because of the way our house is situated and how close neighboring trees are to the house. Really miss that too and appreciate it when I get to finally see the sky more.

Really sorry to hear that Jake is frightened of storms. I had an aunt that was deathly afraid of storms and would hide in a closet. The only thing I ever heard about it was that her mother had been afraid of storms and would take out the rosary beads when there was a storm. So strange though that my mother, her sister was two years younger and never developed a fear of storms, but instead really enjoyed them. I hope he will be able to find a way to recover from his fear.

Cynthia...I am so jealous that you have gotten rid of old computer equipment! I am planning a whole house purge this winter. I still have my first computer from 1995 that I just haven't had the time to figure out how to get some of the files transferred to my current computer and wipe the hard drive clean or figure out where you can dispose of them. Our town is pretty good about having ways to get rid of things and probably a call to town hall would answer that. I think I am going to be starting on all that very soon. Congratulations!

Kathy...thanks for the advice re: Kalanchoes. Mine hasn't been looking as good as I thought it should and I think I have been watering it too much.

Marian...I agree, sometimes it is a very small, simple thing that is at the root of our problems, but it is like searching for a needle in a haystack sometimes. [g]

Looks like it's going to be a sunny day here..

pm2

• improvements_happen_com
    16 years ago

Oh good, I'm not the only one who had/has an embarrassing stash of old hardware. What's the R factor on a monitor anyway? I called the solid waste department and they gave me the name of the facility which accepts used equipment year round. Norma, use WipeDrive or Drivescrubber. I recommend getting it on disc so you can do the deed in the attic or whereever your secret stash is collecting dust:)

• nowayinhell_aol_com
    16 years ago

Good morning all!

Just a quick drive-by this AM. I'm trying to burn a new Rolling Stones CD for the car, I need some new music for driving and the radio drives me crazy in the AM - too much yackety-yack.

I was surprised to see all the "mystery guests" here, then I figured it out. I had to enter my stuff too in order to post. Go figure.

I'll try to come back later to chat, waving to all for now!

Have to run, but I thought you guys would get a kick out of the email I received this AM. The Christmas cookies and fudge are gone from this house, now to get rid of the bad habits having that stuff around led me to. DH most helpfully got my hand weights and workout mat out for me this AM - is it kindness or a hint??

THE MONTH AFTER CHRISTMAS
    author unknown

Twas the month after Christmas, and all through the house
    Nothing would fit me, not even a blouse.
    The cookies I'd nibbled, the eggnog I would taste
    At the holiday parties had gone to my waist.

When I got on the scales there arose such a number!
    When I walked to the store it was less a walk than a lumber.
    I remembered the marvelous meals I'd prepared;
    The gravies and sauces and beef nicely rare.

The wine and the rum balls, the bread and the cheese
    And the way I'd never said, "None for me, please."
    As I dressed myself in my husband's old shirt
    And prepared once again to do battle with dirt.

I said to myself, as only I can
    "You can't spend another winter disguised as a man!"
    So -- away with the last of the sour cream dip,
    Get rid of the fruit cake, every cracker and chip.

Every last bit of food that I like must be banished
    Till all the additional ounces have vanished.
    I won't have a cookie -- not even a lick.
    I'll chew only on long celery sticks.

I won't have hot biscuits, or corn bread, or pie,
    I'll munch on a carrot and quietly cry.
    I'm hungry, I'm lonesome, and life is a bore
    But isn't that what January is for?

Unable to giggle, life's no longer a riot.
    Happy New Year to all and to all a good diet!

-Wendy

PS I hate the word diet, can we come up with a better one?

• whatisthis_ritternet_com
    16 years ago

Good Morning all !!! It is great to be able to say this again. It seems like I was off line a lot longer than a week!
    The weather threw me a curve last night..but it was a good curve. I expected it to be rather cold, and had a big night stick for the stove... but couldn't put it in since it was too full of the previous 'feeding'. I thought 'Oh well'. and shut it down and went to bed. I figured I could get up in the middle of the night and put in the night stick ( although it is hard for me to do after my joints and muscles tighten up):-(. Well, it turned out that it remained 'warm' all night, and was still about 63 indoors when I got up. Nice !

As you all know...I do too much 'thinking', but every now and then an extra good thought comes to my mind...lol. The one that dawned on me this morning is = I am not trying to 'make' anyone think like I do...I just want everyone to understand where I am coming from! Does that make sense? I have always been rather outspoken, but I do not mean to hurt anyone, and I would like to have the same respect shown to me. I certainly hope I would never be guilty of deliberatly 'pushing someone's button' to get a rise out of them. I rather envy those who can overlook all the ugliness around them ( Nolon is that way). I analyze and dissect evrything!!!

All this talk of recycling appliances has me wondering if I can find a place for the old old computer I toted in from the storage building yesterday, before I got the loaner connected with the ISP. I attempted to set it up, but couldn't get the key board and mouse to work. I even hooked up the old ones and still got no response. At least I was keeping busy, and it was better than setting around stewing until I could get help. :-) BUT...now the old old 'puter is setting beside me, and I don't want to return it to the shed!

• whatisthis_ritternet_com
    16 years ago

Have you noticed the red 'notice' at the top of the opening page? I suspect that is the problem. Let's hope it is corrected soon !

Marian

• itsaweirdworldhere_aol_com
    16 years ago

Well, this is starting to get entertaining - i wonder when they'll fix this email/post biz!

Thanks you West Coasters - I figured you'd have good advice re the agave -- I have not consistently been watering every week but will try to just cut to the 1 a month. Denise - how sweet of you to offer - boy, the temptation to send you $100 & have you go agave shopping for me there, LOL.... no - I better see if I can keep these first babes alive! I actually did see the a.geminiflora at the local nursery where I got the blooming spooted aloe -- but I resisted the 2' pot at $20 -- it was a spritely dark green & more 'exhuberant' looking than mine which reinforced the feeling that mine is suffering.

Well, Cynthia - I confess I was startled by the electronics debris you'd accumulated - wow - very impressive! But Im sure I've got hoards of other things like books, magazines, etc., that lurk in my house - it is one novelty of having a townhouse, the storage is not great and I am often forced to cull.

Well, Im late on work here and it's back to winter - brrrrr.....

-Cindy

• tearingaftertwins_aol_com
    16 years ago

Good morning. I did such a fast skim that I retained little to nothing about what I read. :o\ I'm also posting after 100, which I just remembered seeing when I logged in. Oh well, I will just say 'hello' and check in again another time. Today is my day to play with the twins as is tomorrow.

One problem I'm having with using the laptop and would LOVE any input if anyone knows why it happens.....as I'm typing along all of a sudden the cursor will jump to an area in the middle of where I've already typed and my typing goes there. I am careful to not be hitting any other keys (so far as I know) and I'm also not resting my palms on the touchpad.....any ideas? It is frustrating and I cannot think of a way to word the problem so I can look for a solution on the web.....Thanks for any input on what I could be doing wrong!

My best to all---it is raining hard here and suppose to continue throughout the day.

T.
    P.S. Kathy, you asked about wireless providers...I have satellite internet which is my only option other than dial-up where I live, the wireless I spoke of is just using the in house wireless router.