Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jerri_okc

Idyll #419 - January Diversions - Again

Jerri_OKC
15 years ago

There are two seasonal diversions that can ease the bite of any winter.

One is the January thaw. The other is the seed catalogues.

- Hal Borland

I got 3 plant catalogs today! ;)

Jerri

Comments (102)

• chelone
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Today's JulieJob is my closet and my bureau. I have gone through everything, tried things on, washed some things, and tomorrow I'll try to unload the useful culls at the thrift shop. I will have quite a load as there are several of Mum's things neatly bagged, too. I'll be stripping buttons from old blouses later on today. ;) I'm not sure what I'll tackle for tomorrow's JulieJob, maybe the paperback filled bookcases...

I've yet to discover any allergy that plagues me. Eggplant will sometimes make the back of my throat "itch", but I still like it and eat it anyway. Oh, and a lot of commercial soaps with heavy perfumes or heavy emollients can irritate the backs of my hands. I believe a relatively bullet-proof constitution is facilitated by a base level of slovenliness.

I agree, it was nice to see the Queen of the Combine breeze through. And I hold out hope that some of the other busy bees will buzz through soon, too. I like that revolving door policy here... you swing by when you're ready, willing and able and there's always something funny to read or something to make you go, "hhhmmmm". It's nice.

It's funny, but I'm not feeling weighed down by winter this year. I think my year of mourning is officially over. Feels good and I hope all my friends who've lost someone recently read this and give themselves plenty of time to just be sad. Because it's just what you need right now.

And, yes, we do need to start IUVIFORME planning.

• jak1
    15 years ago

Hello everyone! A bright and sunny but very very cold day here today.

Got through the hotdog session once again; only lost three ketchup or mustard bottles (found two under a desk in the grade 4 room, the other is listed as missing); we had about 20 left over. Last time we were short three....must have been some kids away today; also there is a teeny possiblility that somebody miscounted....Anyway, done for another month.

I sent an e-mail to the SPCA today to indicate that I hope the Boston gets adopted and to not, under any circumstances, consider putting him down without calling me first....they replied that he has been adopted. *whew* I was concerned that the ridiculous price would deter anybody from taking him.

My little self-sufficient angel TCS was an absolute horror last night. He must have been really tired as he soaked in the tub for half an hour and then went to bed - no books, no snacks, he was so miserable to everybody. His last words as he closed his door were "I just LOVE being annoying!" Grrrr. And we all felt like jerks for being annoyed.

We're off to the city today for my rendezvous with old work mates and DH and TCS on a tropical fish buying expedition. Looking forward to it.

Here is my Sweet Autumn clem on a very sturdy trellis. This was its second year. I have a child of Hagley Hybrid and a President on here too, and so far it makes a very attractive and very private screen for us and for the neighbour behind. I bought it as something else, mislabelled, but am really pleased with the results. Smells nice too.

{{gwi:148094}}

Eden, I love baby stores. Such an innocent time when we dream that our special little offspring will be both a brain surgeon AND a rocket scientist....and they will look adorable in all of those sweet little outfits. The calm before the storm...

I too would like to join a book club. I know there is one around here but they meet for morning coffee, not wine. And I hate the coffee around here: 4 a.m. and stewed, indeed!

The world of work: our elementary teachers just turned down a last ditch offer by the Ministry of Education: 3% each year over 4 years, extra prep time, smaller classes in the upper grades and I don't know what else. The teachers are really good people for the most part, and they have one heck of ajob to do, but there won't be much sympathy for this in this day and age. They are well paid and have great benefit packages, and no one in the civilised world will ever forgive them for July and August! I'm trying to get my hands on the grade 2 curriculum because I am determined that TCS will not fall behind if there is a strike.

Also the city of Ottawa is still suffering under a transit strike. It has been many weeks now and there is no headway. Very difficult times for everybody.

Kathy, the whole garage is too big a project to be a JJob. The act of getting rid of the fridge, tackling something that can be completed in one day - is a JJob. The whole garage is a Project. Tomorrow do something else, one small step for a man (or a woman), one giant step for personkind...or however it goes... 50 hours week - that is a long week. Add commuting time and I bet you are gone for 11 hours a day. With my commute I was away for twelve hours for a seven and ahalf hour workday - the timing of the commute was just impossible. To this day I get up before 6 a.m.

Mary, as much as we Canadians complain about our medical system, it certainly is a lot easier to seek at least basic care if you don't have to pony up the $ up front...Hard as it is, your Mum is probably making a good decision for herself at this time of her life. It must be hard, though, to be so far away. We have family spread from the East to the West coasts of Canada, most we rarely see. SIL was here this summer for the first time in 9 years. Her first meeting with TCS and he is already 7. There are many others who have never seen him, and he is the only small child in the whole family. Sopmetimes this makes me very sad, but also grateful for technology. (OMG did I really say that???). Makes me think of Marie who is quite a distance from Wayne, Sarah, Skyler and Adam. Hugs, Bug!

On this note I better trot or it will be time to pick up TCS and I will still be looking for my hat and gloves.

CHeers!

Julie

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

The sun is out and in the sun, the thermostat on the back porch is reading 30, but wow, the back yard is one sheet of ice over all the snow. I didn't dare take a step out there today. I actually haven't been out there since maybe the beginning of November. I can see from a distance, that two of my new evergreens are splitting from the ice. I have done it to myself again, failing to get around to tying them up before the first snow. Not like I didn't have plenty of time too.

With all the reports of falls and broken bones, I pushed and pushed to get a supply of sand before it iced over the other night. We managed to get it in time and we did need it for the front walk. A bag of sand from Home Depot weighs 50 pounds!

Another person in our circle of friends has just got the news they have been laid off. They had just moved and signed a new lease. They had only been with the company a year and a half, so not that surprising they would be one of the first to go. Wondering with all these layoffs, who in the world is going to be hiring.

Eden, astute observation about parents sometimes expecting more from their kids then themselves. I find myself reminding myself of that every once in awhile.

Woody...That is a really large area for a new garden bed. Are you going to use it to do your landscaping course work? Have you any plant choices in mind yet?

Kathy...I'm sure I've said so before, but To Kill A Mockingbird is one of my all time favorite movies.

Julie...glad to hear your haircut turned out so well. Always a good pick me up. I found I was more satisfied with my hair after setting it and decided to let it grow in a bit more before deciding whether to go short again.

Enjoyed reading about everyone's routine. I'm not seeing anyone who has their schedule organized around the 'day of the week'.

Gardenbug....since it is going to be a spring baby, would April be too conventional? [g]. Tami, from the word Tamiko can mean 'child born in spring'. Daisy? Honey, Hope? Brook. Apple is evidently a trendy name. As is Fern, Ginger, Heather, Jasmine, along with Sunshine, Willow and Rainbow...lol. I am very surprised. Giselle is sort of an animal name, no? One of my new favorite girl names is Violet. There are so many flower names, is that of no interest to them? Or perhaps there are some French names that represent nature? Ancelin is the feminine form of Lancelot. There are some pretty cool Hawaiian names...Aolani means heavenly cloud and Iolana means to soar like an eagle. Did I miss where we discovered what sex the baby is? Maybe since DD has her heart set on an unconventional name, she could be convinced to choose it for the middle name? I liked the name Reed very much and I assume that was part of the reason they chose it because it was part of nature? I remember when Cher named her baby Elijah Blue...I actually thought that was pretty. I ran into a website with a list of 'Hippie Style' names and not many jumped out at me. [g] Okay, I have to stop now, getting carried away....lol.

Cindy and Julie....thanks for the tips on using Clematis on my new trellis. Great photo Julie! I guess it will all depend on how sturdy the Trellis is. I am pretty sure the SAClematis will grow the quickest and I can always prune hard to keep it in bounds if it gets away from me. Spring seems a long way off today.

Mary....gee...I want to move to where your Mom lives...lol. :-)

Ok...look at the time. Later...

pm2

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    15 years ago

PM2 - The thought of digging out more grass is a bit intimidating! Actually, when I planted the Japanese wisteria in 2007, I had considered doing a similar layout then but thought (a) it was too much work and (b) it might look funny. But, ever since, I keep looking at it and seeing that it needs to be there! So I will try to bite the bullet and do it this spring - very annoying that I have to remove some of the brick edging to do it and will need to add more metal edging and bricks to put the new bed in place. I thought I was finished with the brick edging....

It won't be something I use in my course work - although maybe the course work will alter how I plan to do the bed. At this point my intention is to use the same 'Pink Beaudy' potentilla shrubs that are the foundation of the driveway border, as the primary planting along there. They will make a nice low 'hedge' and they bloom continuously from June to October. The new bed is essentially a continuation of the driveway border so I want to use the same plantings. I'll be starting some hardy hibiscus from seeds collected from the big pink one in the driveway border so I'll add the seedlings there to back the potentilla shrubs. I'm also thinking I'll divide some of the asters in the driveway border and tuck them into the new bed too. And next fall I'll add some of the same tulip bulbs to it. I'll probably use the same orange scented thyme that is currently in the Japanese wisteria bed to be a ground cover in the new bed too.

I now have all the course materials, including audio transcripts. I must admit I'm a little intimidated by the amount of work/time it's looking like it's going to be! It makes me feel old and slow :-) when I think back on my university days when it was normal to take 5-6 courses in a term! It will certainly keep me busy for the winter! The course uses one hypothetical house/property for all the assignments and you progressively landscape it through the course. You have to get a friend or family to pose as the 'client' and tell you what they want done. So I will be informing Randy tonight that he will be helping on the course! Maybe I'll learn something about what he really wants in the garden.... :-)

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

Marie, I keep forgetting to ask you...do you still have that lovely Streptocarpella, and if you do, does it have problems with a lot of the leaves along the stems turning brown and drying up at this time of the year?
    Here is what mine looked like while it was hanging outside last summer.

{{gwi:148095}}

Now it is just rather tall stems with lots of leaves going bad and coming off along the stems.It does have a few blooms though. Maybe I should cut it back?

• chelone
    15 years ago

Marian, I love the plant in your picture above. My regular haunts don't seem to carry them and I didn't know what the name of the plant was, so never bothered to ask about it when I didn't recognize it in the line up. What sort of light conditions and watering does it prefer? Is it available in colors other than that pretty blue/violet?

I went from closet cleaning, to my haircut appointment, and right back home to more cleaning. This time it was the desk in the library. I never use the printer for this computer so I decided that rather than dusting it and around it I'd simply put it in the attic. I took the keyboard apart and scrubbed the daylights out of the top of it hot, soapy water. I was amazed at the amount of mung that was lurking under the keys... some assorted spills and a layer of cat hair and dust made for some sticky capitals and repeated strikes to backspace. Eeewww. Everything seems to be working nicely now. :) I really would like to have a nice, big flat screen monitor, though.

I had a very dear friend who used to say that whenever her nails looked nice she felt well dressed. My nails are usually a disgrace, but I feel better about myself when my hair pleases me and looks neat and well groomed. So I'll always be an advocate of trips to the "beauty parlor". Always nice to hear someone is pleased with their cut and that reminds me of Anita.

I've tried Sweet Autumn clematis twice and lost it both times. I'd sited on one of the pillars of the pergola and the bed is a raised one, inside a stacked stone "container". It's an exposed site without a great deal of insulation and I have another clematis whose color I don't really care for planted there now. We'll see how it fares. Your course sounds like a lot of work, Woody, but I'll bet you'll get right into it and do yourself proud. Are you going to allow us to audit your work? ;) PM, we have 3 Arborvitae by the road and they catch some snow from the plows, they will bow under the weight but as soon as it melts they spring right back, maybe your plants will, too.

Well, it's pretty quiet 'round here and I think I'll retire to do some reading since all my cleaning seems to be making the helpmeet a tad uncomfortable. Good thing he'll be working tomorrow when I make my move on the bookcases, lol. I can already tell I'll be shooing him away from the bags of discarded items until the trash guys finally haul it far from his grasp. ;)

• cynthia_gw
    15 years ago

Denise your stove is handsome!

After catching up on idyll stoves and fireplaces, I've decided I want a gas fireplace in the kitchen. It would get more use than an oven. My built in oven is old but still works. I have a thermometer sitting on a rack to determine the temperature. Chelone maybe that would work for you if you can't replace the dial. My cooktop is fairly new since I had to replace it after I couldn't turn off a burner. It was on a holiday of course (why else would I be using it?) and had to summon the gas company to shut off gas to entire house.

Sweet Autumn clematis. It's a bit of a pest here - seeds around a lot, still pretty and I like it where it grows wild on fences. Here in my yard it pops up everywhere and I spend a lot of time yanking new plants that are 10 feet high and strangling things before I notice.

Here's one I allowed to grow a few years ago. The base of the trunk was 4" wide when I wrestled it down this spring with every sharp tool I had.

{{gwi:148096}}

They're really hard to remove even when small. The roots are deep. So be forewarned! But it does smell wonderful in the fall.

My feet are freezing even with space heater under my desk. I think of my poor sister and tell myself I'm lucky I can feel my feet and move them. She's still in the hospital in traction. Surgery was Wednesday.

I wanted chicken rice soup for supper, but there were no dusty cans of it in my cabinets. So heated up the reaming brie en croute from Christmas and sloshing it along with champagne.

Deanne, the finch photos are spectacular! Love the little disturbed fluff on the first one. And yes the boughs and cones are perfect backdrops for them.

I've missed commenting on a lot and hope to catch up more tomorrow. Hi to all!

Cynthia

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

Chelone, Here is a link on the plant:

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Hello to the busy Idylls and Happy Friday. A sad day today at the awfice as we bid farewell to our co-worker who has been with us for so many years. It all happened so fast we didnt even have time to put together one of our office food fests. Until we fill his position am going to be stepping in .
    On a positive note the weather here has taken a turn for the beautiful ..rain is gone for a few days and though nights will be chilly, days will be heading up into the high 60s . This will be an all garden weekend for me, Im looking forward to it.:-)

And speaking of weather, thanks for the tip PM, I noticed the add a tab feature but never tried it. It looks promising. And there are a bunch of weather gadgets available over and above the live weather thing.

Julie, I will take your advice to heart-as you do hold the patent on Julie Jobs (***NOTE to Idylls, who figured out the cool trademark thing for Fabu-fabu ??? We need one for Julie Jobs!) and you are so right, that hellhole garage is not a one day deal. My next step will be a salvation army run, and step 3 will be electronics recycling. Im happy to report that commuting is not an issue for me, I live exactly one mile from my office, and sometimes walk to work during the spring and summer. Its pitch dark out now when I go in.

Woody, I like your thoughts on keeping some continuity in your new garden bed. One can always pop in a few things here and there for interest, but repeated elements to me really pull the whole thing together. Your design course sounds so interesting !

Chelone, flat screen monitors can be had pretty darn cheap these days if you keep an eye on the sales at places like Office Cheapo and Staples. Got mine at Staples a couple of years ago (its a Samsung) and I think I only paid about 150 bucks for it if I remember right. It was a really good price at the time whatever it was and involved a rebate. Acer makes good monitors too, my awfice computer , and many others in our company are Acers and they get heavy usage- Ive had mine several years. You have certainly been in a flurry of cleaning/nest maintenance activities ---if I didnt know better Id think you were preggers , lol.

Well Cynthia, I salute brie en croute and champagne for dinner. It is after all, Friday . One can be extremely flexible with meals on Friday.

Time to find some dinner in the house. Always slim pickins on the day before grocery day.

Kathy in Napa

• veronicastrum
    15 years ago

The internet went missing late last night and early this morning, but it's back now and so am I.

Our book club patted ourselves on our collective back last night, as we had the most members ever turn out for one of our most serious books. A very nice discussion, and as I was walking to my car I was thinking what a nice group of women it is.

A huge bit of happy news today - our church got the okay to move back into the sanctuary today; the repairs to the support beam have been completed, inspected and approved. That means that the June wedding will be in the church for sure! Phew... The beam cracked the first weekend of February last year, so it's been almost a full year.

Work was uninspirational this week, at least for me. I don't think I shook the back-to-work blues all week. Right now I've still got laundry and a baking project to deal with, but I really just want to go to bed. :( I wish I wasn't losing Sunday to return DD's car but que sera sera.

Next week is our big trade show. I will be "in costume" so to speak, and I may post an incriminating photo if I can. I'm currently listening to "Bobby McGee" to put me in the proper frame of mind.

I think my brain is getting overwhelmed by my list of undone JJobs. nite-all!

V.

• veronicastrum
    15 years ago

Dinner was a sourdough ciabatta loaf, mozzarella rolled with prosciutto, and a 2006 Klinker Brick from Lodi. "Oh Lord, stuck in Lodi again..."

Baking project (communion bread for church) is cooling, half the laundry is folded and the kitchen is half clean.

I believe that it was Denise, owner of the very cool stove, that trademarked Fabu-fabu for us.

I had a lovely SA clematis that was lost to the house staining project. But I do see seedlings.

Off to the other half of the laundry.

V.

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

I really start to miss my roses this time of year, so how about some pics to brighten up the dead of winter ?

Michealangelo {{gwi:148097}}From Roses

Sombreuil {{gwi:148098}}From Roses

Mary Rose {{gwi:148099}}From Roses

Paul Bocuse {{gwi:148100}}From Roses

French Lace {{gwi:148101}}From Roses

Eden
    {{gwi:148102}}From Roses

• denisez10
    15 years ago

Full day with testimony from a biomechanical expert (with Mary's lovely British accent) all about Delta V's, G forces, and Newtonian physics, but coming home is when the excitement really began. Dune's volunteer day at the aquarium was today, and overnight a hose broke, spilling water on a circuit board, shorting it out, and all the pumps in the aquarium stopped, so no oxygenation, nothing. Fortunately, a new baby otter has been acquired who needs 24-hour care, so this middle-of-the-night problem was immediately noted and scuba tanks were placed in all the exhibits for oxygenation. Coincidentally, I mentioned taking Marty out for a wheelchair outing yesterday, and we chose the aquarium so Duncan could give us the grand tour, showing off the spiel he's rehearsed, so I had this fresh experience with the lovely fishies to add zest to my concern, but Dune assures no fish were lost. I could spend hours watching those tanks and oh! the jellyfish. I was a little anxious about broaching the subject of using the wheelchair, but Marty loved it, and especially getting out of the house. I really think what he needs is a nerve block or epidural injection, but the docs are still going about investigating at their own pace. MRI did happen last night so waiting results on that now.

Eden, I enjoyed Gopnik's Paris to the Moon too a couple yrs back.

Isn't the Eden rose the one Woody is training on the swag? I've grown Sombreuil before, and she is lovely, with that button eye. My Bouquet d'Or had a bloom around Christmas, which is always a treat. She's of the Gloire de Dijon tribe, a pale peachy/yellowy confection.

Cindy, my "costume" remark -- what I had in my mind was that you really pulled outfits together, which I admired. No offense intended!

there's a chicken burrito waiting with my name on it so I'm off but will look forward to reading and commenting more tomorrow. g'night

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

I think Woodys' swag rose is New Dawn...

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Good morning...

Busy here this week. Wonder where Martie has been? Norma too. Or how Michelle's vacation is going? Does anyone remember when she is due back?

So glad it is Saturday! I have been in the house too much lately and hope to get out today. DD is hoping to come over for the day tomorrow if the weather cooperates. They are forecasting snow.

Woody...I don't blame your for not looking forward to working on the brick edging. Especially since you already have it done and have to 'undo' it. I wonder if you could apply the 'julie job' mentality to this project? Perhaps if you break it down into small enough jobs, it won't seem as intimidating. I like the sound of your plantings. I looked up the Potentilla and it reminds me of a rose. Quite a long bloom time. And you know how much I like your Hibiscus. So they will be in bloom the same time? ....I think using Randy as a client throughout your landscape course sounds like it will be illuminating. Does Randy know very much about plants? Will he be a willing helper?

Eden, I meant to say that one of our DS plays Racquetball. Your DH must be in good shape. Does he belong to a gym? My DD signed up for a gym in November and I think past the first week, she hasn't stepped foot in it. [g] She is just way too busy. So how was the get together with your sisters?

So Kathy...Random thoughts [g]...Food shopping happens on Saturdays around here too and always find Friday to be slim pickings. Thankfully, we keep a supply of Chili in serving sizes in the freezer. So breakfast and lunch are fine it's dinner that is iffy. ....I'm finding it very surprising that one of your employees resigned in this economic climate? Were they moving or something? ... You have so much pruning with all your roses, I am wondering if you enjoy doing it or find it a chore? ... Do you always start seeds every year? ... Since you are a California native, I still think you would find that movie 'A Shadow of a Doubt' with Teresa Wright and Joseph Cotten very enjoyable. It was Hitchcock's favorite film and it was filmed in 1943 Santa Rosa California. If you haven't seen it yet, maybe Netflix has it. Btw, I love Ceanothus! You have some marvelous native plants in California. LOVED the resurrected rose pics! It gave me a moment of trying to close my eyes and imagine being out in the garden smelling the few roses I had last summer....Ahhh! Spring can't come soon enough.

Marian...thanks for the plant link...I thought you had been talking about a Streptocarpus and I wondered why the leaves looked different. I had not heard of a Streptocarpella.

Cynthia...thanks for the warning on the SAClematis. I have a two year old seedling that I have not attempted to move yet, so I will let you know next spring how that goes. I have heard that some people have problems with reseeding. I wonder if it is less of a problem here due to our colder winter temps? I seem to remember a GW post where that was discussed. I only saw blooms last year for the first time, so I will look around to see if there are any seedlings this coming season. Beautiful photo!

Denise...what a full day you had. I'm glad you were able to get Marty out of the house. Good to have something else to distract you when you are uncomfortable. Curious....'Dune' is Duncan's nickname? How old is Duncan? Your job sounds very challenging and should keep your brain young at the very least.

Chelone....you are just going to town...first the haircut and now closets and keyboards and purging books. What is up with that? :-) ...One of my evergreens is an Arborvitae and the other is a Juniper. I know from past experience that the Juniper with branches that reach up, can get pretty ratty looking if I don't tie it up and so far it doesn't look too bad, but now it is too icy to get out there and do it until we have a thaw. The other is an Arborvitae, which I will keep my fingers crossed on. Glad to know yours spring back. This is my first year with the Arborvitae.

Hope you all have a lovely Saturday...! :-)
    pm2

• chelone
    15 years ago

I thought it was Cythia who first used the trademark logo on fabu-fabu. But it would also be right up Denise's alley to do something like that, too.

Poor Marty must be feeling terribly housebound these days, Denise. I think getting him out is a very wise move. Do you have your very own wheelchair for him or do you have to call ahead and request one at your destinations? He is a very good sport about that, though necessity probably figures into his "choice", too. (Sue was a "good cooperator", too.) The logistics of a power failure at an aquarium are nightmarish to consider, and remind me why I'm disdainful of manned space exploration (why would you want to waste both fuel and money going somewhere that's cold, dark, and has neither air to breathe nor water to drink? ;) ). I hope the MRI yields some kernal of information that will prove useful in relieving his discomfort and getting an active and vital man "back on his feet". I used to love to visit the Boston Aquarium when I was in college, free passes to a myriad of fun places were available for the asking at the library.

Kathy's rose Hall of Fame was a lovely treat this very cold morning. I damped down the woodstove and refilled my coffee cup before gazing on them. I thought it was New Dawn that Woody is training on her swag, too. Whenever I look at your roses, Kathy, I have yearning for a few of my very own, but those I've tried have ultimately succumbed to lack of protection and very harsh cold or simply don't perform well in what can be dreadfully humid conditions and owner neglect. Perhaps I'll give them another whirl this year. I was wondering the same thing as PM about your recently departed cop-worker, he must've had one foot firmly on the dock before he stepped out of the boat. Perhaps my mania for cleaning will make more sense if you consider that the interior of my home is more like your garage than I should probably admit. ;) I was very disappointed that some guy beat me to the operable $20 5 CD changer at the thrift shop yesterday, would've been a nice score for the Salon. Too bad you and your rejected electronics are on the opposite coast, lol. At present, the austerity measures put in place here on the Compound some months ago are in full force, and I'm hording my shekels for the purchase of cloth, not flat screen monitors or electronics. I'm old-fashioned in "make due" mode. And it's OK.

I was thinking of Eden's outing yesterday, hoping it was fun. And I was also thinking that I'd like to see a miniature bathtub with claw feet, too. I think that sounds really cute and I'll bet she's already thinking of what sort of planter it will become when it's outgrown, lol. Is our patience ever to be rewarded with pictures of your snazzy new kitchen "look"? There are several lovely pieces of architecural woodwork in a box in the Salon and I think of you every time I pass them and think about how to use them for nice effect in a very large room. I KNOW you'd have good suggestions to offer.

More snow on the way for us today/tonight (have paid no attention to how much) and it's hard to believe it will eventually melt away and the presently silent dawns will be give way to raucus tributes to the sun's arrival. The sun presently rises and shines into the southeast corner of the sitting area, by March it will rise directly behind my present seat as it works its way to the northeast corner of the house. Already I see changes in the patterns of daylight here. So, my winter weary friends, keep yourselves cozy and be mollified that spring IS coming. :)

Woody, my late FIL had a saying that I use a lot (often to the consternation of the helpmeet), "Everyone ought to have a project". And your's will be reworking the pretty brick edging. ;) I have no doubt it will be lovely when you're finished with it. I like the continuity you're building into your landscaping efforts, too, it's easy on the eyes and the chosen plant material should be relatively easy care, too. Wise, wise planning.

How long will your sister be in traction, Cynthia? I smiled at the notion of her spending #60 in the pediatric dep't., frankly I'd expect that would be more interesting than a lot of other places, too. :) I hauled out Gray's Anatomy and looked up the site of her break, looks as though it could be very complicated and require a long-ish recovery period; there was no doubt in my mind that she must've been very uncomfortable waiting for surgery, poor thing! You must be worried about her and I'm sorry for that. Mind you don't stumble and go down the stairs unceremoniously yourself while carrying a dog! (I say so because I did it carrying folded laundry some years ago). And gas fireplace in your kitchen sounds like a grand idea; my BIL is amazed at how much heat his can put out, so it could be a nice way to take the chill of the room, too. Can't wait to see Sue's!

Marian, thanks for the link on Streptocarpella saxorum. I wonder if it would do nicely in the northern windowboxes that are under the bay window awning. I like the blue/violet better than the pinker one in the picture on the link. The color and light requirements remind me of Browallia which is a favorite, along with Torenia.

OK, time to go back and enjoy some of the links already posted and then whip out my Christmas utility knife and break down the mountain of cardboard cartons the helpmeet has been squirrelling away in the board room. (After he goes to work!). ;)

• saucydog
    15 years ago

I slept in as hard as I could - until the call fire alarm went off! I'm not the type who likes to bolt from my bed :)

Woody, I'm not sure I'd want to know what my spouse would like as a client of the garden! Actually, I found that I liked his choice in a piece of garden art last summer...so I think I can breath a little easier. I'll second the call to share your class with us! My class doesn't start until March, because it is mostly outdoors: Shrubs in the landscape.

PM, it seems my girlfriend is just two hours south of Cody. I loved that shot of the wild horses. I think this might be the year that I take the leap and head to Wyoming to visit her. She promises camping in the woods....sans the campground....and thermal springs! She took her first trip out east a couple of summers ago. She's one of those friends that you don't have to talk to much. She has always taken care of me, which is nice. The kind of friend who will pick up your house for you when you just can't do it yourself. I wonder what the heck I bring to the table, lol!

V., that is excellent about the nuptials! I just thought about your church beam crisis the other day! In the shower, no doubt! What sort of bread does one make for communion? Nick's church has tasteless little wafers.

Cynthia, I too like your fireplace idea. Sue will be cozy in her digs, too!

I had the old stove before I moved here. I liked it until the buyer wanted it written into the contract....and then wanted everything on it to work! I electrocuted myself more than once trying to hurry up and replace parts just before closing!

I think Jake is going to go to work with Nick. That makes me happy :) I am not happy about the snow that is coming our way tonight, but I have all the necessary provisions: Cate Blanchette as Queen Elizabeth, and popcorn. I'll live.

I'm going to get moving. I've started, but never finished, undecorating from Christmas. This morning, it gets done!

Oh, I was so envious of you book clubbers that I inquired about joining one in my area. Cross your fingers that I get accepted....there are interview questions :)

Saucy

• chelone
    15 years ago

V., I meant to mention the good news on the beam in the sanctuary of your church, too (thanks, Saucy!). How old is the building? And I was curious about Communion bread, as well.

I used to go along with Mum when she was a member of the altar guild at the Episcopal church in our town. She would polish the candlesticks and the chalice (?) for the Communion wine, lay out the beautiful linen for the altar, and make sure the wafers and the tray were ready to go on Sunday. I remember beautiful floral arrangements and seasonal decorations, too. Irreverence training began early for me... Mum always called the Communion wafers, "Trinity Triscuits". ;)

• cynthia_gw
    15 years ago

Book club questions probably involve what kind of wine you'll bring Saucy. And provisions for a storm should also involve wine. I think I'm channeling Kathy.

So, I managed to stay home all week and very cold out when I made the hike to the store last night. Wondered when my battery had last been replaced. Car started fine of course. If we had made it to Sanibel, we'd be on the beach plucking shells and wondering what less important items to toss from the luggage to fit them all in. And would have watched greyhounds race at a track. Instead I'm happily watching greyhounds sleep. ( Thinking Saturday mornings are the nicest vacation and I get one every 7 days...!)
    That Pink Beauty looks like a very nice selection Woody. I know you've had good success with it in your garden. Now, is it evergreen? Or do you cut them back in winter.

I tried that Floodit game this morning, and proving my limitations, honestly couldn't figure out how it worked for the first couple of sessions. I looked for rules or tutorial. None, and then figured it out by accident not analysis.

I've decide I want a wooden day bed with a separate mattress to replace the couch in my office. It was fairly old and getting shabby, and Monty had a few incontinent moments on it before he started meds and management. A few days ago Hope spotted the teeny half inch rip on front of a cushion and I turned around in time to watch her beginning the excavation. Now there's a big tuft of fiberfill tempting her. Found this option at Sturbridge Yankee Workshop.

{{gwi:148103}}

Not sure that's 'it', but close to what I'm looking for. Comes in stain or white or black and takes a twin mattress. Seems like I saw one I really liked in a catalogue a few months ago, but must have discarded during a purging spell. Has anyone seen any cool day beds lately? I'm not in a hurry. Suggestions appreciated!

Denise, I was talking with a work friend last night and he was telling me about taking his in-laws to Disney or Epcot over the holidays. Because they're somewhat handicapped with the issues that go with old age, they were given a special pass to go to the head of the line for every tour or event. I do hope Marty can be treated soon and feel better, but in the meantime....um maybe that man in the wheelchair can you to the front of the line here and there :)

Has anyone read the Obama Economic Plan? Not for discussion here I know, but thought I'd link it for anyone interested. There's also an impact analysis on the same site. Just interesting reading.

Have a productive day ! Cynthia

• saucydog
    15 years ago

A couple of things that I am thing of while un-decorating:

Denise, Nick had a cortisone shot deep within the hip to cure a similar ailment. He had fallen on the ice and injured one of his disks which was causing some major sciatic symptoms. He did not find immediate comfort, but the crisis has passed, and the doctor explained that it might not be an instant fix. Physical therapy certainly helped, and he still does the stretches.

Cynthia, Sarah has a similar daybed to the one above. She has a trundle now, but when she didn't, it was an excellent place for storage. Thank you for linking the plan because I heard some knuckle head (I could tell from his voice) on talk radio the other day that prompted me to think that I need to read this for myself. I quit watching the news because it's always peppered with more bad than good. I find it depressing.

A check of the weather reveals 7-10" heading my way.

Hey, I got a new neighbor, too! He's over there hammering away, and I keep looking up to see who's knocking.

Back to work....

Saucy

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Idyll-y drinking coffee, and thinking Ill head upstairs since is warmer up there indoor chores this morning involve the orchid restoration area I set up last week ( must water ) and the floor of the hallway, plus the stairs. A Julie Job to be sure.

The bird feeder was empty this morning and what frenzy my refill prompted- I can only guess what Deannes back garden must look like with her multi-feeders. Ive been racking my brain trying to figure out a spot for my thistle feeder for the goldfinches, but every place Ive come up with thus far is too close to the fences ( not cat safe) .

Love that daybed pic Cynthia, and a practical solution for guests (or canines!) and thanks for the link too, I will peruse this evening.

Ok, going upstairs dust mop in tow..back later.

Kathy in Napa

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

The satellite is at last working again. This means I was able to read a book yesterday. I chose "I am Hutterite" by Mary-Ann Kirkby which was given to me by DSIL for Christmas. Boy did I enjoy it too! It is about a world I knew nothing about.

I must run off and feed my helpless in the kitchen husband as it is lunchtime...but I did want to mention that I am glad to catch up on Idyll news: hot dogs, roses, trinity triscuits and communion bread, book/wine clubs, families at a distance and so much more.

Woody, make sure you check for wires and pipes before you dig!

Marian, I often prune my Streptocarpella. At the moment mine is looking terrible. If you prune yours, stuff the healthy parts in a new container of soil and it will take off!(I pull off the lower leaves and sometimes put them in rooting hormone, but not always.)

OK I'm off to kitchen duty, then the dump and grocery store. Later I'll be making soup with moose meat, my first experiment in that department! Then to show some flower photos to the French Club. Like these:
    The Alexandra Rose
    {{gwi:148104}}

Felicia
    {{gwi:148105}}

A link below for those interested in the celebration for Reed.

• denisez10
    15 years ago

Saucy, if the book club asks for character references, you'll know where to turn ;) That shot Nick had is exactly what I'm thinking will do the trick. I'm guessing since there was no precipitating injury, like a fall on the ice, we're getting this circuitous investigation to rule out everything else under the sun.

That's wondeful news, V, that the church will be ready for the wedding. I'm sure our house got a few more cracks in the 4-point something quake we had Thurs night. I should post a photo of the cracks in the kitchen ceiling for Marian who thinks her house is shabby!

Yes, Sue was a good sport in the wheelchair at the last IU. We borrowed the wheelchair from my mom, who used it after hip replacement surgery. Marty said it was unnerving that no one would look him in the eye while in the chair...

The stove came with the house 20 yrs ago. Everything works, and Kathy's characterization is apt, it is built like a ****brickhouse. There's a local business that rechromes and cleans them top to bottom, which we had done a couple yrs back.

PM, big congrats on the new car, the insurance taken care of. The Mini was my first experience buying a brand-new car, and it was the first year the new ones came out. They sent all sorts of swag, car cups and emails detailing where the car was on the assembly line. Great PR. Cynthia's comfort color silver/beige, mine "silk green" ;) I had the windshield replaced a month ago, cracked from rocks kicked up by trucks on the freeway. Last week it was smacked again, brand-new crack, but at least it's in the far corner and not line of sight. Along with rocks, there's an unbelievable amount of debris on the roads these days, ladders, buckets, you name it.

Fairly certain the trademark belongs to Cynthia. There was only one exhibit at the aquarium that actually had live coral, all the other stuff was fake. Such delicate stuff, I hope the coral weathered the pump mishap OK. Cynthia -- brainstorm! You, your sister, and a wheelchair to the nearest aquarium...Love the daybed. Would you keep it black or shabby-chic white?

PM, I hope you get out with your DD this weekend. Yes, Dune is for Duncan. He's Andrew Duncan, but we've always used the middle name. 20 yrs old, very nice lad if I say so myself ;) Marty's two sisters are up in Cody. Amazing place, so close to Yellowstone. Saucy should definitely make it over there this summer.

Love the first Queen with Blanchett, not the second one. But Mirren's Queen with corgies ("walkies!") was lovely. Plus she insisted on driving that beat up old Land Rover like my BIL inherited from Marty's brother who's passed away, so that movie worked on lots of levels for me.

All the layoff news I'm getting from the idylls sure got reported in those Dec job numbers. Kathy, you certainly can't be asked to work more than 50 hrs a week to pick up the layoff slack, right?
    I haven't read the Obama economic plan yet and tune out most of the speculation on his cabinet picks, etc, but will take a look at the link. Just holding my breath basically that he is a "good" man and not politics as usual. Mitch may take a train to D.C. from NYC for the inaug festivities. A friend has invites to the Kenyan embassy, so maybe we'll have a second-hand reporter.

Yes, New Dawn is Woody's swag rose, much more flexible for training than Eden, I'd guess. I really like the hybrid musks too, like 'bug's Felicity. Buff Beauty was sacrificed for the gate project last summer. Chelone, I've got exactly one rose now. I'd think the rugosas would suit your climate. I wish somebody would grow the rambler Veilchenblau and post photos! Mildew magnet for me.

'bug, what a nice article you linked, thanks for including that.

Brevity, brevity, why dost thou elude me? signing off...

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Hopefully character references from the Idylls do not have opposite the desired effect !

Still cleaning upstairs....

• saucydog
    15 years ago

LOL...Kathy and Denise...there are photos from IUs past, too....those are some mighty big acorns you have, ma'am!

I want to throw my hat in the ring as being okay with helping to organize the next IU event. I am fine with doing it, if you all are fine with my laid back style (that's what I'm calling it now - much better than lazy or absent minded!).

I want to check out the new botancial garden in Maine that everyone is talking about....how far is it from you, Chelone?

Saucy

• saucydog
    15 years ago

GB, those are beautiful pictures! I am a sucker for single petaled roses.

I enjoyed the link to Reed's celebration, too. You have a remarkable family....but I know you already know that :) Last night's moon made me think of all the Idylls, and you especially.

My husband's grandmother sent me a recipe (in an envelope with nothing else, not even a scribble, lol - it strikes me as a very grandmotherly thing to do!) for italian sausages cooked with cannelini beans! I found some good turkey sausages and I'm going to try it tonight!

Okay, back to cleaning up. I'm still UNdecking the halls. Deanne had the right idea this year. For some reason, I decided to reorg all the boxes before I put them away....

Saucy

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Lunch break....Keeping my calendar open for the months of June, July,except for the days around the 4th ...only the most dire circumstaces will keep me from IU6. Perhaps a discussion of the dates should be the first order of business ?

Kathy in Napa

• Jerri_OKC
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Drive by post! We are sitting in bed watching DVDs. DH has different tastes in movies than I do. I have to pretend I'm intestered now we are watching on of his. LOL
    Fabu Fabu came from Deanne I think - more precisely an art student?
    I can't wait for the next IU. ;)

Later...

Jerri

• chelone
    15 years ago

Since I won't have to go very far I can be very flexible with IUVI dates. :) I think Mary's David has an important music camp that must be born in mind, though.

Cleaning continues. 2 bags of clothing and 1 box of books to the thrift store. 3 boxes full of cooking and nutrition books ready for a move to the bahn's attic. Anyone need any information on macrobiotic cooking?? I could just be the motherlode, lotsa hippie stuff! One bookcase has been hauled off to the wookshop for repair, so I may be a bit shy of shelfspace even after a heavy cull... . I am categorizing the books right now, sternly reminding myself to NOT flip through them.

Thanks for the link, Cynthia. Information is always a good thing since miracles are rare indeed.

I enjoyed the link to the celebration for Reed, 'bug. "Bad days" must be just awful for them, but making the time to enjoy the life before them will help them through those bad days. Get busy living or get busy dying. Isn't that a line from the "Shawshank Redemption"? Felicia gets my vote above. And my suggestion for a little girl's name is Cassiopeia, maybe Andromeda?

OK, I have to get back to the reshelving. It's looking as though it will snow, the clouds have taken over what had been a very blue sky this morning. And I still don't know how much is forecast because I don't have to go anywhere until Monday morning. :)

• cynthia_gw
    15 years ago

Invisible freezing rain. Very loud - crackly - hitting leaves and ground, but we couldn't see it land and the nothing got wet. Dannie didn't spook over it which surprised me. I did stand with both hands outstretched trying to catch something and couldn't. (Puzzleing the pups.) Finally found some tiny beads on the ice of a birdbath, but otherwise not a trace and it could have been a hearing malfunction.

Yeah, I do think I trademarked Deanne's Fabu Fabu®size>, or was it a copywrite?

Saucy, I think January is the time to start the IU6 thread isn't it? :-)

Love all the roses. Here are my contributions:

{{gwi:148106}}
    Sally Holmes

{{gwi:148107}}
    Complicata

{{gwi:148109}}
    Westerland

{{gwi:148110}}
    Dannie Lynn Rose!

• jak1
    15 years ago

Marie's post about "snowflake" and the ensuing "Tadpole" got me thinking - about names that are derived from nature.

Not suggestions, Marie, just middle of the night last night musings...

DD had friends, sisters, in high school whose names were Aspen and Yarrow. I loved that. They didn't.

Sierra
    Jasmine
    Daisy
    Violet
    Viola
    Friends of my DS named their baby Azalea. For no reason, they just liked the sound of it.

Iris
    Veronica
    Dahlia

I have a step-niece named Lily.
    What about Rex (as in Begonia)?

And I rather like Chelone by the way.

Rose
    Adam (like Adam's Needle aka Yucca)
    Hazel (as in twisted *lol*)
    Willow
    Tansy
    Pansy
    Stella (as in D'Oro)
    Holly
    Maple (There is a child in TCS's school named Maple. Also a Tuesday and a Wednesday, and a Summer and an Autumn)
    Ivy
    Kale (there is a Kael in TCS's class)
    Honey
    Jacob (as in Ladder)
    Ginger
    Heather
    Fern
    Dawn
    Skye (name of a former neighbour)
    Terra (as in Cotta)
    Celeste
    Rock (or Roc or Rocque or Roch)
    Ocean (also in TCS's class. Her sister is named Coral)
    Jenny ( as in creeping)
    Daphne
    Hart (as in deer)
    Laurel
    Wasn't there a child named 'Dill' in "To Kill a Mockingbird"?
    April -May- June
    Petunia
    Rowan

Easier to think of names for girls than boys.

Any additons?

• cynthia_gw
    15 years ago

For Chelone - I can't count the number of monitors I've had in the past 30 years. This is my absolute favorite, and there are no bad reviews on it. You can get really cheap flat panels, but you won't like the image quality. Price has come done a lot on this one, and you could get a refurb to keep the cost down.

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

I was interested in the words "Fabu Fabu" so I googled them. I am afraid they are not something new, and I am quite surprised with what I found. I will not link to any site....

Good news for me. I ate my avocado sandwich yesterday eve., and had no bad side effects.

We did not get any freezing precip, just a rain shower during the night. There is just a bit of ice on the front porch steps. I threw a warm throw rug over it. It is stuck to it, so will not slide.

Marie, thanks for the info on the plant. I will try the rooting of cuttings. I'd love to have more to put out this spring.
    I read your link. It is wonderful the support that you all have received. I hope the celebration was not too heart rendering for you all.
    Your roses pics are lovely. So are Cynthia's and Kathy's. I am like Chelone when it comes to growing roses, but for differant reasons. They just do not do well for me.
    Good luck with the moose meat. Nolon says it is tough and stringy. I have never eaten any.It may depend on the moose, too, and the cook.

Pm2, that light colored horse looks like it had already suffered several wounds from fighting!

Denise, your stove is neat, but I am an electric stove fan. Our son had a really old electric range in his former home. It came with the house, and they used it for several years.

My fingers and brain are not working together very well, so I will sign off for now....

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Chelone, you are exhausting me with all the organizational and crapola abatement projects. Youre leaving me in the dust !

bug , thanks for reminding me about Felicia-I just love that rose and hope to add it to my collection one day. Cynthias Westerland is another I wish I had. Pruning today went well, the ground is absolutely strewn with debris, and the yard waste toter is filling up quickly. I do in fact enjoy pruning the roses PM. It is a task that is combined with the general clean-up that some do in the fall. I still had the dead sticks of Joe Pye, S. Black and Blue, all the Phlox etc. and as I move along the roses I cut those down too. I worked mostly on climbers today , and I always get great satisfaction from thinning them out, renewing the various tie downs all the while wondering what the h**l I was thinking planting all these jumbo plants along one fence. Once I am finished with all the pruning and cutting back I will mulch- this will take me well into Feb depending on weather. Ive been saving cardboard to use as my weed barrier , and next week I will start stockpiling bags of compost I have no homemade this year .
    Two of my citrus trees may have succumbed to the frosty nights- I failed to protect them as they came through last years 20 degree nights just fine, but last winter I still had my gazebo and I expect it created a bit of a micro climate that protected those particular plants.

Swan Island catalog came today, and Select Seeds yesterday. I dont dare order more Dahlias-do I ?

With a big wave to all I m off to read the paper and think about dinner. Tonight will watch The Commitments

Kathy in Napa

• chelone
    15 years ago

I am definitely a candidate for the sharpest nose in Maine, having kept it to the grindstone all day long. I have touched very nearly every single book we own today. I sent 1 box to the thrift store, and need one more carton for the culls from this evening. I washed all the shelves, dusted the books, and have put all those that will remain back on the shelves reorganizing them to fit into the shelves. There is one small section of shelves that presently contain back issues of magazines that I've yet to address but it won't take long tomorrow morning. Do not be too impressed, had I been better at general housekeeping over the years I wouldn't have been forced to be as ruthless as I've been today.

I have to go through one final pile of paperwork relating to Mum and I will have that whole sad thing behind me (all save THTTF) and the lovely Empire sofa will be completely uncovered. Tomorrow I plan to get all the recyclables bundled and the trash ready to go kerbside Monday morning and then I'm going to vacuum. I like this kind of "tired". Feels good because I've been feeling really overwhelmed and dragged down by the accumulation of years. And that's a good thing because there is a lot more of this sort of cleaning and decluttering on my immediate docket.

I am certain Kathy feels the same way about the amount of rose pruning she's done today. :)

I will guess I am probably an hour and half from the botanical gahden, don't know because I've never been there. ;) I like Saucy's laid back style, it suits me just fine. Maybe it's time to begin "covert operations" and take this private?

OK, I'm off to my bed, I expect I'll be out like a light in no time flat. Sweet dreams, everyone.

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    15 years ago

gb - beautiful rose pics.! That was a very nice, very evocative article about the Reed celebration - a very bittersweet event I'm sure.

Cynthia - I like that four-footed rose :-) We bought a very simple day bed last winter to replace an old bed in the tiny back bedroom where my exercise bike used to live - now my treadmill's home. The room is rarely used actually as a bedroom so the daybed works nicely - for Misty to lie on while I'm exercising and for me to use as a cozy reading spot on cold days (the room is directly over the furnace so is the warmest room in the house!) The daybed was quite inexpensive (from Crate Designs) and I ended up getting a matching small bureau. There are two drawers uner the bed so it provides good storage space. I had to buy and cover some pillows to put along the back because it didn't come with any. Here's what it looks like:
    {{gwi:148111}}
    In this view you can see the frame behind the pillows - I definitely needed to add the pillows for comfort!
    {{gwi:148112}}

PM2 - the potentilla looks a bit like a rose because potentillas are, botanically, part of the rose family! Minus the thorns and pest and disease problems...! I have some white ones too but they aren't as long-blooming as Pink Beauty. I don't like the yellow ones. I'm not familiar with the red, orange annd mango colored ones so I don't know how they perform. I don't think the colors would appeal to me though.

Cynthia - no, the potentillas are not evergreen. The Pink Beauty is quite late leafing out - very end of Many usually - and I start checking them impatiently during May in case they died but they seem very hardy - just slow to start! Once they start leafing out, it happens very fast and they're blooming a few weeks later. I cut 1/3 of the (thicker, older) stems out at the base each year before it starts leafing out. That keeps them nice neat mounds with lots of flowers. They fit in beautifully with perennials in a bed or border.

gb - I've had the utilities (gas line and buried hydro line) located several times now in the front. The brick edging on the front bed runs pretty close to were the gas line is and the hydro line is a bit closer to where the new bed will be. As long as I don't intend to dig more than 3' deep (and I certainly won't come anywhere near that!), it's not a problem to plant there. Of course, if the lines ever need to be dug up, the garden would be lost but c'est la vie....

Putting in the new bed will definitely be done in a Julie Job spirit! That's how I did the rest of the bricks - it took me from May to oct/Nov 2007 to do all the ones I put in then. This is a smaller project (Chelone - I agree with your late FIL's 'everyone needs a project...'!) I figure it'll probably take me about 2 months to do - I don't work very fast! I did 6-8 bricks a day in 2007 :-) The shape of the bed won't be dead straight as in that first picture - that was just to give me a feel for whether it was a good idea. I'll shape the bed to roughly keep a 3' path between it and the existing beds. There will be a bulge near the wisteria so that it curves out towards where the center path comes down between the rose bed on the left (which isn't visible in the picture) and the main bed on the right. It'll look a bit more like this, although I'll need to play around with the shape as I'm laying it out on the ground:
    {{gwi:148113}}
    I think I'll keep the hardy hibiscus in the bulge instead of spreading them out along the length of the bed. They can get quite big and they might overwhelm the rest. There will be quite a few hardy hibiscus along there - the ones in the driveway border, another patch to the left of the Chinese wisteria, more halfway up the left side of the front bed, plus the vivid pink ones behind the arbour, white ones a bit further to the right and closer to the front edge, Luna Blush by the bench in front of the cedar, Luna Red on either side of the path a little way behind the arbour, and the two Fireball ones I planted in the front of the bed. The deep red ones have a tendency to disappear so I'm not sure if they will return. But I'm expecting a big hibiscus show from that bed in the next year or two!

I was working on one of the practise exercises for the course today - boy, I need a lot of practise! One problem for me is the expectation we do that neat architect's printing - I can barely read my own writing usually, so expecting ultra-neat printing might be VERY optimistic :-) If anything turns out reasonable, I'll share it - but maybe not until the course is finished.

It looks like an interesting group of students. They come from all parts of Canada so there's a wide variety of growing conditions represented. It looks like the ages run from 20s to mid-60s! Interestingly one of the students is listed as owner of a well-known specialty nursery with a big mail order business! I'm hoping he will provide a discount to fellow students... :-) Another student is from (owner?) a small winery - in Newfoundland! So it looks like an interesting bunch. I think I'm the only one taking it with nno plans for using it in any career sort of way.

• chelone
    15 years ago

Woody, I'm so impressed that you've plunged in and signed up for a "real, live" landscape architecture course. I don't think I'd have the gumption to do it, esp. since that strange, block-like architect's printing is part of the bargain. I'd hasten to bet the brick edging will go more quickly this time around since you've already had so much practice. ;)

What is the rest of the room like that the contemplated daybed will occupy, Cynthia? are the walls "primer" or is there a hint of color on them? What's your natural inclination when it comes to furniture, do you prefer painted pieces or are you drawn to show wood, and if you are is your preference for blonder woods or darker ones? I like the Empire inspired back and curves on the ends of the piece you pictured and instantly thought it would be quite pretty in a pickled finish. I hadn't really considered the implications of monitor quality until you posted the link. I suppose it's the same thing as many of you not thinking much about the differences between different makes of sewing machines and the different options they offer to the the operator. The details and complexities of our lives and work are always interesting to me. On my list of things to accomplish in the next week is the disposal of the stack for a Gateway 2000 386/25 that's been acting as a table for an equally unused combination thermometer/barometer/wind speed and direction thingy (probably should hook it up again, but where?). (the truth of the squalor here now emerges... ).

It certainly is snowing outside my windows now. At present it looks quite stormy, the weatherman is calling for 4-8" of snow and I don't envy the helpmeet having to go out and move still more snow here and at work. It will be a fine day for the continuation of JulieJobs. Next week is going to be very cold for us and I'm regretting not getting the Hydrangeas bundled up last fall... . I've just brought in some wood and the stove is now on its way to optimal operating temperature to complete the cozy atmosphere. :)

Chuckled over Saucy's new neighbor and getting up to see who's knocking.

Please let Marty know that I am not one of those people who avoids eye contact with the wheelchair bound, physically disabled, the elderly. Having lived in small communities for many of my years I learned early on that people are just people. Who cares how they get around or that they're "missing a few bricks from their pallet"? those things are usually pretty easy to overcome. More often than not the "problem" is the able-bodied. I thought of Tom Daschle's "upsidedown pyramid" analogy when reading your assessment of the medical sleuthing surrounding Marty's condition... let's hope the "finest medical care in the world" figures it out soon.

Speaking of Marty, where is our Martie? it's been a long time since she gave us an update from Cornhill Park. Let's hope all's well and she and Rich are having a good time together.

I can only imagine what was on some of the sites you pulled up when you googled "fabu fabu", Marian. I've stumbled on several very arresting things in my own searches over the years, too. A notable one was my misspelling of "Harden" when searching for bedsteads... change on vowel and you open up a whole new realm of discovry, lol. Not suitable for linking, either!

• saucydog
    15 years ago

I'm glad you don't have to give up your avocado, Marian, I'd miss it, too :) I like mine with tuna fish!

I think the not making eye contact comes from the "don't stare" - not saying it is right, but it's taught. When I first hurt my arm and it was bright red like a burn, I would catch people "sneaking a peak" and I wondered why they thought it was okay to do that, but not to ask.

I thought about Martie this morning, too. The 17th will be here soon :) I'll email her.

Which one of these is not like the other? The Dannie Lynn Rose is beautiful :)

That is quite the JJ you've accomplished, Chelone. I was able to get all my decorations back in the attic, nice and reorganized. I even had time to go have tea with SunnyD and watch her cut squares for a quilt project....it'll be fun to see the progression.

I'm going to go make myself some breakfast and see where this day takes me.

Saucy

• cynthia_gw
    15 years ago

Morning! I've been inspecting my bike in the basement to find Shimano Derailers, mfg year, size, weight, stuff. Was going to Freecycle it, but web search turned up that it's a good and somewhat rare bike. The faded price sticker is still on it :) Since I haven't used it in 10 years, and I'd rather walk a dog than ride a bike, it's time to let it go I think.

Chelone, the daybed would be a replacement for the couch currently in my office. Dannie is allowed on it, and I take naps there. So the decor is desks and file cabinets and a donkey sized crate for any dog I don't trust as continent. Currently that would be Monty man. My dogs go to work with me every day. So functional environment, but I want the daybed to be something I like that is more in the spirit of the rest of the house. Of course the walls are white. I get enough stimulation from work, don't need colors riling me up too :) It's 100% office not a guest room, so it's just for my comfort. I do most of my reading on the current office couch.

Woody, I like the idea of a big drawer under the day bed. I could fill that with stuffies which now litter the floor when not in the overflowing toy hamper. Your bed looks perfect for Misty and you and a good book. I'm finding too that most of the daybeds need pillows added. I rather like that as I could change the colors easily.

I think Saucy's new neighbor is a woodpecker.

My sister moved to a rehab facility yesterday where's she's going to learn to hop on her right foot for the next 4 months. She had a painful and scary post surgery night in extreme pain because a certain organ did NOT wake up from the anesthesia. They put the catheter back before her bladder burst and now will be more careful about removing it the next time. I did talk with her last night and she sounds better. She has a dog in her room! My sister is not a dog person, but her roommate has her seeing eye black lab there. She's actually afraid of dogs, so think this experience will be good for her. She didn't notice she (Brash) was there until one of the nurses was afraid to come into the room. And the dog's birthday is the same as my sisters :) I'll be sending them a party in a box.

'K, time for me to get the bike grease off of my foot and get the day rolling.

Cynthia

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Sunny and cold here. I'm now wondering what the summer will offer in terms of camp. I'd love to get away and see my Idyll friends..but wonder about our new grandchild, getting the garden back to some semblance of order, etc. Life is quite chaotic here now. My brother is supposed to visit, but we have not figured out when. DH is very busy with work and environmental causes. DS is probably winding down his job with OLPC. And so the future is quite hazy.

Over the holidays DSIL was asking about French words that have become adopted in English. Cynthia brought up one of those today, derailers. How language changes, even in our own lifetimes.

Marian, the moose meat was just great, very much like beef. Not at all tough. DD gave us some steaks as well, but I'll keep them frozen until the BBQ becomes unfrozen!

DD would love to start seeds for her garden. I'd love to get her a seed starting setup to put in her back sunroom. Anyone know a place on line that has some good choices?

It is great to watch Phoebe galloping through the snow at high speed. What a crazy energetic bundle she is! Sarah enjoys riding her bike with Indy next to her. But then, Indy is great at accompany her anywhere. Phoebe is totally untrustworthy off leash on a road with trucks and traffic which includes horse drawn buggies.

Saucy, I too have been watching the moon lately. It is odd to see the moon set around 7AM, but it is beautiful to see shadows of branches on the white snow even when it is supposed to be dark.

Last night's photo show "en francais" went well. Not lots of people, but everyone brought something to share, whether old family photos, pictures of the 2nd WW by a pilot, 'my summer vacation' type shots, photos by a Swiss man who enjoys reflections on and through glass...all sorts of things.

Cynthia, the description of DS's bladder woes is particularly painful for me to read about. ALL the best to her and her room mates!
    'bug

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

Ive returned and wouldnt you know it, theres a blizzard in the works. We had a great trip, the weather was great and we had so much fun with my little sweetheart and her mom and dad. Since Kenzie had preschool 2 days, DD is working an 11 to 7 shift at her new job and DSIL has a crazy classroom schedule, we spent time all together and with each of them individually. Rick and I took Kenzie to the Magic Kingdom one day and it was pure delight to see her reaction to so many things. We also enjoyed an 83 degree day at the beach, a day at Epcot and a visit to a local garden. It was hard to leave them and then come back to a snowy drive home.

I cant feel too sorry for myself after talking with a lady on the plane that hadnt seen her daughter in 9 years. She also had 3 grandchildren she had never met. She told me she was divorced and Im assuming that money was the reason that the visits never happened. We walked with her through security as she mentioned to DH that she was unsure where she needed to go, so we witnessed her reunion with her daughter, needless to say my eyes werent dry.

Our house is a disaster. I was unable to get the Christmas decorations down before I left and then with having the new flooring put in the laundry and mudroom we have junk everywhere. The washer and dryer arent hooked up and wont be until the beadboard that we are putting in the area is up.

Cynthia, I was so sorry to read that your sister broke her leg and you both missed your trip, how awful. Sorry to hear that traction is required. My sister was in traction for a broken leg and it wasnt a very pleasant experience. I hope she can heal quickly. I feel so bad that you are picking up those beautiful shells in FL. I guess the gulf side is the best shell picking according to DD who has been there as well.

Im hopelessly behind and really must run for now and start getting this place in order. Im having a birthday party for DH next weekend and Im thinking that it may take all week to get this place presentable.

Later

Michelle

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

Great to hear that Michelle is safely home, and that she had a wonderful visit with Kenzie.

I am wanting to share a pic with Ei on the Slipper orchid's one bloom. It is huge! I hope she 'tunes in' in time to see it.

{{gwi:148114}}

The puzzle is the one I put out for Nolon. He seldom works on it, so hasn't got far.

• chelone
    15 years ago

Hey! welcome back, Michelle. Grand that you had such a nice time and I'm sure the return to snow and cold was a rather a shock. I hope you will share pictures of the new floor, both "before" and "after". Did Kenzie seem a bigger than the last time you saw her?

It's cold here today, too, but probably not nearly as cold as 'bug's environs or Michelle's. We're supposed to get some very cold weather next week, nothing higher than the 'teens all day long. And that cold put the kibosh on any Hydrangea flowers next summer.

I polished off the last pile of Mum stuff this afternoon, not without a few tears. But all the old paperwork is burned and I guess that's that. Seemed strange to feed it into the stove sheaf by sheaf; a little bit sad but also liberating. I couldn't quite bring myself to cut up the credit cards even though they had expired and have since been cancelled... there was just something about seeing her stong signature that made doing it too much today.

Cynthia, I bristled when I read of your sister's discomfort after surgery. Memories of too many occasions like that are still quite raw with me and I believe I will carry a low-grade worry and disdain for hospitals and rehab. care facilities until I die. I laughed at sending them a "party in a box", how are you going to keep the chicken backs refrigerated during transport? ;) How long will she have to remain at the facility before she's able to hobble about unassisted and get back to some semblance of "routine"?

And how is our other orthopaedic patient faring these days? I hope you're on the mend as Idyll Camp is now in the planning stages, Jerri.

OK, back to the vacuum cleaner. I have to finish up the sitting and dining area and call this 3 day marathon a rap. I don't want to go to work tomorrow, but coming home to a cleaner home will be nice. Saucy and Michelle will appreciate the newly discovered box full of lights that was stashed in a corner of the board room and I just discovered this afternoon!

• chloehoover
    15 years ago

Wow, ya'll have been busy -- and I can tell it's mostly thinking about summer already, LOL.... few people feeling snowbound are they? altho I know it's amazing how quickly the calendar fills up.

Had stock club mtg today, and the usual prep involved, and chloe stuff yesterday -- and the weekend is over, amazing.... I confess I stopped by a nursery and bought an agave, a couple other succulents, and some bayer pest pellets to hopefully rid my poor house plants of the mealbugs and scale issues -- it's either that or chuck everything out...seemd silly to buy another african violet in good health to put near the dwindling ones. Got a 5 minute info/advice from some nice staff about an overall war strategy to rid my plants of these sneaky devils....

I love all the gorgeous rose photos - have to turn to finishing out the nite here and gathering for the work stuff....

Hi, to Michelle - welcome back -- that daybed is lovely, Cynthia; I seem to recall seeing some other lovelies recently since Im the catalog queen, but they've all blurred together.

I'll have to check out the IU planning site;we''re really gonna go to camp, really really? how cool is that...heehee...

--cindy

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

An Idyllic day here in Northern Calif, temps nearing 70- not at all the norm in January ! It was 29 when I got up this morning-nothing like a 40 degree temp swing.Doobie and Ted have been in nirvana this weekend, laying in the sun. More pruning accomplished today, think I have about 15 left to do. I spd one of my Icebergs today and will offer it to my neighbor before tossing it in the yard waste. - I have two others in front, no need to have three. I moved Evelyn to the the vacated spot, and expect a much better performance out of her there.

Welcome back Michelle! Sounds like you had a great time in the tropics but one does have to come home eventually. Hoping you had your camera along at the visit to the local garden .

Marian that Lady Slipper is beautiful ! I had one with a very dark flower and spotted foliage that I loved, but it went into a decline and I finally pitched it. I fully intend to get another at some point.

Map of Maine is on the dining room table. Im ready to pack

Kathy in Napa

Doobie and Ted , snoozing today on the remains of the Nepeta {{gwi:148116}}From Pets

• veronicastrum
    15 years ago

Behind in my reading, but thought I would share a name suggestion for gb. I've heard this one twice in the last few months as a girl's name - Cadence or Kadence. It's stolen music terminology, but reminds one of Kate or Katelyn. I laughed the first time I heard it, but it's beginning to grow on me, and knowing that S&W appreciate music... And I think it beats Tadpole! ;)

V.

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

I've heard it as well V! I'll add it to the list and see what happens! Better than Amadeus me thinks.

Then there's Briony, which you may recognize from your reading...and Bryony, the plant. I've heard that too.

By the way, DH was called "wart" for much of his childhood. It was meant as an endearing name, but...I prefer Tadpole!

• chelone
    15 years ago

Here I am all showered, dressed, and ready to brave the pre-dawn chill and head to work at my preferred time. I have a small job to finish up this morning and then heaven knows what awaits me. ;)

I am definitely "into" the whole house purge, you guys. Instead of continuing the protective measure of averting my eyes from areas of accumulated clutter I've embraced the "refuse to live in fear" motto and I've methodically made a list and begun chipping away at it. The place looks great and I feel great about it. The reaction from the helpmeet is mixed, he likes the cleanliness but is nervous about my ruthless approach to the many tomes that haven't been cracked in over 10 yrs. and my unwillingness to give him any more time to go through them himself. Time's up, baby! When I return from work this afternoon I'll throw some more clothing destined for the thrift into the washing machine and begin systematically going through the Lab.. I have lots of old fabric, items of abandonned clothing (the bane of dry cleaners and alterationists), and old notions that are taking up too much space. I wish some of you crafty types lived down the road, I'd send it your way happily. ;) I want it all pared down for the move across the driveway to the Salon. Idyll Camp has definitely kindled a fire under my hindquarters, you guys. This is one reason I'm not feeling housebound or winter weary, on the contrary, I'm wondering if there will be enough time to get it done before Idyll Camp. :)

Wow, Marian, that orchid is just lovely. I smile every time I think of you puttering around with your plants. I've been meaning to ask you how you carry your wood indoors. Do you use a log carrier or do you just carry an armload? I'm trying to come up with a containment system for the Salon that is attractive and efficient. Eyed the log holder on the clearance page of the Sturbridge Yankee site Cynthia mentioned but was too cheap to spring for it, lol. There HAS to be something here that could be suitably repurposed... Its good that the puzzle is out for Nolon to pick at when the mood strikes him. You know, I never had the presence of mind to provide a puzzle for Mum, something I regret now.

Loved the shots of Doobie and Ted, Kathy. Anyone who says cats aren't friendly has never known one that is much loved and fussed over. Our's like to chaperone us when we're outdoors, too. And there was a lot of getting into the boxes and bags destined for the thrift this weekend, too. Lots of Kodak moments.

Well, time to get rolling so I may return home and continue the progress. Wanna place any bets on how much of the culled stuff actually makes it to the kerb this morning? ;)

Cozy up, guys.

• jak1
    15 years ago

Good morning, Idylls! Very bright and cold here today (-30C(-22 F) on the front porch this morning) and destined to remain like this all week.

TCS's fun weekend turned into the stomach flu from HE double hockey sticks. He started upchucking at 10 p.m. Saturday night and continued every half hour until 5 a.m. on Sunday. All three of us adults took turns sitting with him, helping out whatever - there is nothing that makes you feel more helpless than a sick child. Very greateful for the washer and dryer too, as I ran his bedding through 6 times over night. On a pleasanter note, DH and I passed the time by sitting at the kitchen table with the garage heater underneath, playing Scrabble until 3 a.m. Needless to day, Sunday was very very Quiet in the Kennedy household,as everbody caught up on their rest. TCS was fine this morning and trotted off to school as happy as can be. At the bus, we were met by NDN (next door neighbour) who was there to tell the bus driver that his son was very sick at home with the flu. I am sure it will travel right through the school, and I hope that it doesn't return for round two!

The Ladyslipper orchid is amazing! That is one variety that I have successfully killed off twice already. You must have a secret, Marian!

I too am waiting to see Kenzie photos.

Kathy, Doobie and Ted look so peaceful and content - I agree about cats - they can be standoffish with strangers, unless the stranger is a cat hater and then they cozy up as much as possible, but they also know when you need their warm comfy presence - Paws, the most aloof cat I have ever known (probably from spending her early years alone on the streets of a city) cuddled up on TCS's bed at about 6 a.m. on Sunday. Kodak moments indeed.

Speaking of language, it is interesting to think about what brand names become nouns in the vernacular...Kodak being one. Of course, now I can't think of any...

Chelone, it sounds as if you are really progressing on the decluttering or whatever you want to call it. I feel for you in your letting go of your mother's stuff. I still have a small box of stuff to shred after 13 years. And the handwriting especially - it's like you could reach out and touch the hand that did the writing...it's hard.

Anyway, looking for info. on this proposed camp: how does this work? Does everybody really camp out? where exactly is it going to be? Fill me in guys, just in case I manage to make it. I gather it is in Maine this year? At least on the right side of the continent for me!

DS need the computer.

Cheers,

Julie

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Julie, Kleenex & Ketchup are a couple more for your Kodak List. A blackberry is no longer something to eat, a mouse is no longer something to trap.

So sorry about your weekend...and TCS's! ARGH!

DD phoned last night to fill us in on the updates to their back sunroom. Progress is being made. She also bought a few more pairs of slacks and a pair of overalls to accommodate her girth. Value Village is her store of preference. DGS was away in Jasper with his Mom & BF for the weekend, and supposedly DGS had his first skiing lesson yesterday in the very windy cold. I'd hate to be his teacher given that he can't hear instructions well. If he's interested though, he manages OK.

My new wireless mouse is working well. I am adjusting to its sensitivity. Last night DH got me hooked up properly to two old websites which were causing me grief. He also repaired a phone in the back room which hasn't worked for months. Unfortunately he's too busy to repair the toilet in our main bathroom in time for our weekend company. :(

That's all she wrote for now.
    A plus tard!(Later!)
    'bug

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?