18 years ago

{{gwi:148296}}

{{gwi:148297}}

{{gwi:148298}}

{{gwi:148299}}

Comments (19)

• Lara Noles
    18 years ago

Oh it's a good thing I'm not close enough to go there. I couldn't resist bringing home all of those wonderful tropicals. Thanks for the pictures Wendy.

Eden

• cynthia_gw
    18 years ago

Ohhhhhhh Wendy. That was therapeutic. I can smell the plants and dirt and is that a blue sky???? Thanks for sharing! Did you find a souvenir?

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    18 years ago

This was one fun day. I left the house at 8 AM and didn't get home til almost 4. I was chatting with Mindy(arbo-retum) and lost track of time. Since I'm a serial houseplant murderer I didn't buy anything at Logees but I can see the beauty in going back there in late April/early May when I'm shopping for container plants. I did get a couple of pictures, not as many as I should have though. Here is a display area in one of the greenhouses.

{{gwi:148300}}

I think we all know this gardening couple.

{{gwi:148301}}

Some cool plant. If anyone wants to know what it is, I can look it up in the catalog.

{{gwi:148303}}

Just a fraction of the Motley crew...from left to right, Ron(Ronr), Carole(newfiewoofie), George(EGO45), Wendy, Martie, Monique and Cady(Cady). Most of the folks are NE forum posters. Ron hosts our CT plant swaps in the fall and spring at a nursery where he works. You've probably "seen" George around the perennial and shrub forums.

{{gwi:148304}}

Sue

• gardeningmary
    18 years ago

What fun! I can almost feel the warm greenhouse air and inhale the scents. What a gathering of fabulous plants. So who was the biggest purchaser? Thanks for the pictures.

Mary

• Monique z6a CT
    18 years ago

We had lots of fun (even hubby whose back was hurting). Thanks Martie and Carole!

I bought 4 plants-Begonia 'Raspberry Swirl', Gardenia jasminoides 'Fortuniana' (heard it was the most floriferous) and 'Variegata', and Hibiscus 'Morning Glory' (b/c they were out of 'The Path' in my photo below).

My camera was acting up-I couldn't see anything on the image screen-had to look thru the viewfinder. However, I managed to take a few.

Hibiscus 'The Path'
    {{gwi:148305}}

{{gwi:148306}}

{{gwi:148307}}

{{gwi:148308}}

Passiflora 'Pura Vida Purple'
    {{gwi:148309}}

{{gwi:148310}}

Some of us-others were inside buying plants:
    {{gwi:148311}}

• martieinct
    18 years ago

The pics are wonderful, but what they don't speak to was the chance to Logee's in a way most people only dream. We saw the propogation houses, the stock houses where "one of a kind" parents are kept, the shipping house, the trial area, and learned that Nothing is mechanized. In this day and age in nursery life that is amazing.

Rich and I had a blast. Thank you for making it a wonderful day! When you go back, Sue, you best give me a call ... A certain Passiflora is calling ......

Martie

• the_shady_lady
    18 years ago

IÂm so glad everyone had a fun time. If I had been able to find a sitter I would have loved to join you. My husband is just not able to manage the kids for that long a stretch. Needless to say, I thought of you all many times yesterday.

Martie, you seem like such a firecracker. I hope we can meet one day.

Virginia

• cynthia_gw
    18 years ago

More terrific photos! Thanks Monique & Sue. Is that a plectranthus blooming away blue that all three of you captured? Did anyone buy it for me ? :-)

• deanneart
    18 years ago

So many great images of what must have been a fantastic day. Sorry I missed the outing with you guys. Logee's looks like a wonderful place.

Cynthia, when did you say you were going with your sister?

Deanne

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    18 years ago

Cynthia it was a winter blooming coleus-that one I remember.

Sue

• Lara Noles
    18 years ago

Oh Monique, love that hibiscus. I'm planning on adding some to my garden this year too. Nothing says tropical like a hibiscus. I'm loving this thread. Anybody got more pictures? Cynthia, I looked on the website and I believe this is the plant we're both eyeing...

Eden

Here is a link that might be useful: Coleus thyrisoides

• Cady
    18 years ago

Great photos! I'm glad you took one of the hibiscus "the Path." When I saw it blooming in the greenhouse, the colors blew me away.

Seeing these pictures takes me back in time to...yesterday. heehee
    What lovely memories.

• arbo_retum
    18 years ago

super photos. thank you for documenting and giving visual life to our experiences there!

• wendy2
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I loved this elephant ears - the leaves were very thick and the texture was amazing.

{{gwi:148313}}

This is a lovely pic of the back of Les's head and the head of our tour guide Deb, but it shows how densly packed the greenhouses were. You can see the camilla blooming on the right.

{{gwi:148314}}

This isn't the greatest picture of a white brugs, but the thing was huge! I am standing underneath it, looking up.

{{gwi:148316}}

This is a selection of begonias and others

{{gwi:148318}}

This is from the propogation area

{{gwi:148320}}

• martieinct
    18 years ago

Sign posted next to Venus Fly Traps on the Long House wall:

"Nothing says 'Happy Holidays' like a carnivorous plant."

Here's the Latin List from my order slip:

Pelargonium 'Flower Basket'
    P. 'Fringed Apple'
    Psidium guajvana 'Nana'
    Begonia masonina 'Iron Cross'
    B. 'Richardsiana' (How could I leave THAT one there?)
    B. 'China Curl'
    Lavandula dentata 'Lambikins'
    Kohleria 'Longwood'
    Brugmansia 'Jean Pasco'

Hey, I stuck to my budget! (Okay, was $.23 over.) Took the time to 'plan purchases' before I went in. Rich found a bunch of stuff that interested him so the technically much larger overage doesn't count. Right? (He's yet to figure out that the next part is containers to put them in. Shhhhhhhh.)

Any more pics out there?

Martie

• janie_on
    18 years ago

awesome pictures! Thanks for sharing

• terryboc
    18 years ago

What a perfect hibiscus! I must have one! It reminds me of a tropical island. Thanks for the lovely pics.

• diggingthedirt
    18 years ago

I've been checking the Logees website to id some of the plants in the photos, and wish I could do the same for the people. I met so many garden webbers whose names were familiar that I can't quite keep track of who was who.

And, can someone remind me of the French-type lavender that's hardy? Was it L. dentata Lambikins? I'd meant to track that one down, as I usually treat the French (spanish, etc) kinds as annuals. It'd be great to be able to overwinter these outsde.

• martieinct
    18 years ago

Nan:

It's not 'Lambikins' as L. dentata only refers to the foliage. L. stoechas (French/Spanish/winged flowers) refers to the bloom habit which is decidedly different than L. dentata. L. dentata has a very tight bract that can repeat anywhere from 1 - 4 inches down the stalk. L. stoechas usually has no repeat bract. Sorry if I'm losing you, here, but I love technical Lav stuff ...

I got a 'Lambikins' and am in the process of researching who came up with the hybrid. It is obviously a cousin of L. dentata 'Goodwin Creek' so my guess is that it came out of the U. of Deleware or somewhere in North Carolina.

Does anyone know?

Martie

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner