Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
david_5311

IU4, 2008 -- The planning stages

david_5311
17 years ago

Hi Folks. Happy New Year! I am really looking forward to this garden year. I have recovered further from the events of the past several years in my life -- emotionally, financially, family, all the dust has settled further. I am looking forward to having 2-3 weeks solid to work on the garden come late April. And I will need it!

But to the point -- I have to request VC time before the end of January for the summer. And I (we, me and Jim, we ALL I think.....) had such a great time at IU 3 (and IU1, the only other one I attended) that I would hardly want to miss IU4. So do people have date suggestions? And I know the place suggested was Philadelphia, but has that been "decided"? Anyway I wanted to jog the planning committee (hehehehe, what committee???) to see if there were any inklings as to planning the dates and itinerary.

So maybe I can at least light a spark by asking the question.....

Comments (56)

• cynthia_gw
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Ah, a drivable IU4 sounds good. Philadelphia is 2 hours from me, so I could do at least a half day without finding doggie care. I've been wanting to get to Chanticleer for a very long time, so that is a 'must see.'

Mid July sounds very workable. Maybe a little research on special events that may be scheduled at Longwood, Strathmore, Chanticleer will help us home in on a date?

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

Phila would be a great place --

except for Morris, most of the gardens mentioned are in the western 'burbs of the area -- I would suggest staying away from the weekend of the Fourth due to obvious holiday celebrations and problems getting hotel space, traffic, etc. There would be a good bit of driving to hit all those places (& Morris is across town towards the east, so to speak). I would definitely drive also.

--Cindy

• dodgerdudette
    17 years ago

Wow, thinkin' how I can pony this up with a business trip-I do have some folks in Philadelphia I could justfy visiting but already have a week of vaca in July spoken for. I await further developments.
    Kathy in Napa

• honey_mi
    17 years ago

I'm going to try to come as well but it would have to be after the 8th. I'll probably fly.

• chelone
    17 years ago

I can probably pull it off, too! But I will need to know a month (more would be better) ahead of time. I can either drive or take the train (if I can avoid a plane I will). Later in the July is better for me... as the summer season progresses the frantic aspect of boating in New England tends to dissipate.

If I drive to the Idyll (no big deal for me), I'll be fine chauffeuring to destinations IF I have an able "co-pilot"; my Taurus wagon can easily ferry 3 other people in comfort. I warn you: I am assiduous in adherence to speed limits and flatly refuse to exceed my "comfort zone" to FOLLOW anyone else's lead (a "leader" who does 75 mph on the turnpike is no leader at all, in my eyes!). I require a "co-pilot" who either knows where they're going or is capable of following a map.

I'm nearly 48 yrs. old, have held a commercial license and driven buses, I have spotless driving record... I'm basically a "nannah" behind the wheel, lol. But I'm game to drive and I'll get my passengers there with a minimum of white knuckles. I'm able to follow a map, but if this is going to be fun for me, I'd rather not be responsible for navigation, as well. (I haven't been able to leave the "compound" for a loong time, you guys!).

;)

• gardeningmary
    17 years ago

Just to get the ball rolling, I was looking at a few hotels on the west of Philly where most of the gardens are clustered (see www.greaterphiladelphiagardens.org) This one is located in the same town as Chanticleer and has a meeting room we could possibly book for a big dinner one night. Parking is free and breakfast buffet available though not always included in price of room.

Thoughts anyone?

(I'm guessing we're looking at weekends of July 14th, 21st or 28th)

Mary

Here is a link that might be useful: Courtyard Philadelphia Valley Forge

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

I like the Marriot but this one charges an additional $20 per room if you want breakfast ($99 vs. $109 a night). Last year the complimentary breakfast was convenient and included in the room price so I checked to see if there was a Holiday Inn Express in the same area and found the one linked below. It does appear to lack a meeting room but the rooms are $99/night and include breakfast. Of course any hotel would do if there was a decent breakfast place within walking distance.

Any of the three weekends in July Mary indicated are OK with me. Perhaps we should narrow it down by having the people who have conflicts let us know which weekends don't work for them.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Holiday Inn Express King of Prussia

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

The other option would be to stay closer to the area where Longwood & Scott Arboretum/Swarthmore are (along Chadds Ford, Concordville area around Rt. 1) which is in fact closer to the airport for people coming in & out of the area (about 30 mins) versus near KOP (King of Prussia) area which is more like 45 to 1 hour to airport....Hotels also might be a bit more economical (under $100/nite) near Longwood if that's a concern for people? [there are some links from Longwood Gardens re hotels "Brandywine tourism" I think it reads -- this p.c. at home is too dangerous for me to try to link some here...

KOP however has a HUGE shopping mall -- is right off Rt. 202 & Rt 76 which goes into central Phila, if you're thinking of hitting spots (including Fairmount Park gardens or Morris Arb). But it's bound by these hi-ways; not able to walk to much - need to drive, but sounds like we'd have plenty of cars.

But if you have in mind to try to get up to Bucks County area, KOP area would be more "central"/in-between for Bucks County, & down towards Longwood Gardens & Scott...

I guess it might make a difference if we could get some idea how many people need to come in by flying? [Phila or Wilmington - or even DC -- I could pick people up along the way up on my drive if it's cheaper for people to come to DC -- it's about 2 & 1/2 hrs from my house to Media/Concordville, etc.]

My dance card is open for all 3 weekends after the 4th..

Cindy

• Monique z6a CT
    17 years ago

Our w/ends are open in July, but we're going to call the petsitter this w/end to find out when she is free to house/pet sit for us.

Optimally, I like the idea of staying at a hotel that offers breakfast like last year so we don't have to devote too much time in the morning for that meal. I'll grab a banana or muffin quickly so I can sleep in and show up right before we leave for the gardens like last year LOL.

Would everyone arrive by late Thursday evening or very early Friday morning, then leave for home Sunday mid-afternoon???

Figuring out a tentative itinerary might help to choose a hotel location. Here are my thoughts, but they are totally open for discussion and changes.

FRIDAY-Chanticleer, lunch, Scott Arboretum at Swarthmore College (13 miles apart)

SATURDAY-Longwood Gardens, lunch at Longwood, Winterthur Country Estate (6 miles apart)

SUNDAY-Morris Arboretum, lunch at Morris, leave for home???

We could even try to find a private garden or good nurseries to visit sometime during the 3 days.

Thoughts everyone? Other places you'd like to visit?

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

Hopefully we make it again. If so, the 21st doesn't work out the best for me because of the time of month at work.

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

I love a woman who is an organizer and leader! Way to go Monique! Looks good to me. I've been to Longwood not so long ago, but there's plenty to see there anyhow. Sure will need walking shoes!
    I so want to take part. I'm hoping grandbaby arrives late June instead of mid-July! The later the Idylls meet in July, the more likely for me, but please don't worry about me at this stage. I can always catch up at a gathering in the Fall.

• veronicastrum
    17 years ago

Oh! I love it when a plan starts to come together.

Right now, I think anything of the weekends outside of the 4th will work me. A little later in the month is a little better.

I'm pretty sure that I would fly in. I'm pretty flexible on hotels - in other words, I'll let others make a decision and I'll book wherever you all agree on. I would even navigate for Chelone if needed.

I'm looking forward to this - Philly has some gardens that I've always wanted to see and never had a chance to visit.

V.

• gardeningmary
    17 years ago

It seems later is better for most - I nominate the weekend of the 28th. Anyone to second?

Mary

• Monique z6a CT
    17 years ago

We called the dog/house sitter and she said all of July is open for her so far. So, the w/end of the 28th is fine with us.

• martieinct
    17 years ago

Still reading along "just in case." With Europe in the winter it may be a last-minute decision to get to Philly. BUT - I'm thinking that hooking up for at least one day is a possibility.

Martie

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Just popping in for a quick one. I saw the 08 and thought I had plenty of time to comment on this one. LOL Then I saw Sue and Monique this weekend and they said it was for 07. Whoops!

Anyway, I've got a seminar somewhere in the end of July and I believe it is the last weekend but I'll check the dates and get back here to confirm.

Doug and I can come in Suburban so we'll have additional transportation. Hmmmm... could it be we'll have too many cars there?? LOL

Later
    Deanne

• drema_dianne
    17 years ago

Great idea to start early so everyone can coordinate schedules. I have always wanted to visit these gardens. I will probably fly in, because I am afraid to drive in Philly.

D.

• wendy2
    17 years ago

I should be able to swing this! The weekend of July 21st looks best for me. Most likely I'll drive. I'm looking forward to seeing Chanticleer, and the other gardens look great as well.

-Wendy

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    17 years ago

2007? I thought it was for 2008 too..lol. DH and I would really love to attend, but wouldn't be able to spend a weekend seeing everything. We would also have a hard time planning that far in advance. But, I thought Martie's idea of spending a day, might be something worth our considering. We would drive if we came. But it would be very iffy for us. Still haven't ruled it out entirely.

:-)
    pm2

• david_5311
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Folks! Well I thought I better check back in here. SORRY about the "2008" heading, it is 2007 we are talking about! I think either of the last 2 weekends in July would be fine for us, but I need to make a decision so I can request time off this week. (Hence the early planning...). I suspect that the weekend of the 21st would be a bit better, so I would vote for that one. Maybe if I could suggest that we have a vote/consensus on those 2? I am also happy to see that Monique took charge by suggesting an itinerary. I may be able to get us into a famous private garden in the area but no absolute promises, I will have to check on this. The itinerary looks good to me, Chanticleer is an absolute must, and the others will certainly be great too.

For those who have not been, Philly has one of the very best selections of great public gardens in the country -- in fact, maybe even the best from my travelling experience.

So can we vote? I vote for the earlier weekend but as long as I know this week can probably swing either. Both should be great from a horticultural view point, though it may be pretty darn hot....

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

I am neutral to any of the those weekends -- I can do either. So count me into to whichever one is the best. I dont think I saw any special events at any of those garden websites that would demand or preclude us attending them...

I think Monique's itinerary looks fine to me unless there's another garden that others are more interested to see or "of a must."

-Cindy

• drema_dianne
    17 years ago

Either one is good for me. I have no summer plans for July yet

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

I shouldn't be voting at all because I'm not sure I can make it, but the later date makes it more likely I could attend.

Chanticleer and the Scott Arboretum are big on my list.

• honey_mi
    17 years ago

I like Sue's suggestion of rooms including a continental breakfast. That really worked out well. Is that hotel a go? The itinerary sounds great.

If it's the 2nd wk in July, it's more likely Tom can make it. The other 2 weekends are iffy for him and it might just be me.

Chelone, V was a GREAT navigator for me.

Monique, thanks for stepping in and lending your expertise.

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

I probably shouldn't be voting as we are undecided as whether we will come. If we do it would be our summer vacation and I would only be able to come any weekend other than the 21st. Its a bad time at work. Thats why we had to leave last year on Sunday and miss Trudy's garden :o(

• Monique z6a CT
    17 years ago

As I mentioned before, we are free for all of the July w/ends so far. Hopefully we'll hear from Deanne about when her seminar is in July...

David, it would be great if you could line up a private garden. I noticed in one of my private emails to you last fall that you mentioned a garden of someone in the Strathmore area and I was wondering if we could somehow get an invite. Otherwise, I was looking at the Garden Conservancy open garden listings in the Phili area to see if any sound interesting enough for us to visit. I could try to contact some of the people to find out if they are willing to have a garden group come by.

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Either of the last two weekends is fine for me.

Sue

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    17 years ago

Hi,

I won't need to vote either, being so unsure about going.

:-)

• chelone
    17 years ago

I'm OK with either WE (no familial obligations!), and my only wish is that the h/motel will have a pool... July is hot down that way. ;)

If V. is willing to navigate, then prop this "Nannah" behind the wheel "and awaaayyy we gooo!" (to quote Jackie Gleason).

(Do you guys and ANY idea how long it's been since I crossed more than 2 state lines?!)

• gardeningmary
    17 years ago

Either weekend is fine by me.

I'll probably drive and thought I might invite my sister Ruth to join me - its close to DC and she too enjoys gardens.

Mary

• deanneart
    17 years ago

OK now I'm going to freak out a bit, I posted to this yesterday and my post is gone?! Anyway, I've got a seminar in CA the last weekend of July so the only option for me would be the earlier weekend of the 21st.

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

I don't have a vote, since we will not be able to make it, but it sounds like a wonderful plan. Hope to some day get there and to New York.

• david_5311
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, I have to make a decision tomorrow as to how to ask for time, and I am going to request the week off prior to the 21st weekend. That doesn't mean that the other one is impossible, it may still be, but if I get what I ask for the 21st will probably be more flexible. I will let you know what I get...

• cynthia_gw
    17 years ago

The week-end of the 21st is much more likely for me. If we end up with the week of the 28th, I would have to beg that Chanticleer be moved to Saturday :-)

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

So no big decision needed! Cynthia, Deanne and David can't work the 28th in , so we go for the 21st!
    (and hope baby arrives in EARLY July!)
    Not good for Honey's Tom, nor for Michelle though...but they were iffy about coming I think anyway? Am I right? I wish everyone could make it! It'll be tough without Tom's stories....

• david_5311
    Original Author
    17 years ago

That's what I put in for. BTW Idylls, I did post a few pics of my garden on this thread below. When I have some time next week, I might put together a bit more on various other parts of the garden - probably here on the Idylls, since it ain't really on any topic.....

Jim and I are off for a week in the north woods at his cabin. I am not that big a fan of winter, but anything to get away from work these days, and provide for some R & R, is very welcome

Here is a link that might be useful: (There are some David new garden pics here)

• veronicastrum
    17 years ago

I'm coming back to the discussion very late, but the weekend of the 21st is better for me. I told DH a couple of weeks ago that we were looking at the 28th and he informed me that the family reunion had been switched from the 4th to that weekend! Guess I missed that memo. ;-)

Thanks for the compliment, Honey.

V.

• honey_mi
    17 years ago

V, you're welcome. You and DH both were great.

You're correct 'Bug, by my count. It looks like Michelle's the only one that can't make it the 21st. So, so sorry, Michelle. I counted 14 Idyllers (w/o spouses) on the 21st.

Is it the 21st then?

'Bug, perhaps I'll fly in Thurs. nite and DH on Fri. nite. Then y'all won't have to miss his stories. Don't think he told you guys about his Dad teaching him responsibility. It's a corker and up there with the TP story, lol.

I'm off to look at David's pics.

• gardeningmary
    17 years ago

Woo Hoo - things are shaping up. Michelle, we'll miss you terribly - any chance that weekend might free up?

Honey - I'll be looking forward to some belly laughs Friday and Satuday nights with Tom!

Now the date is set we might want to narrow down a hotel. Were there any more thoughts?

Deanne and fellow musicians - are we going to try for a musical evening?

Mary

• chelone
    17 years ago

I am no musician. The helpmeet will likely not accompany me (views this whole cyber thing with skepticism). As previously stated, I would really like a pool, but other than that, I'm pretty "low maintenance"... and will drive as long as there's a navigator.

I've alerted the boss about the weekend of July 21st..

Could someone help me disgorge the contents of my camera at the end of the day? I need help with stupid stuff like that. :/

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

Well, I hope I am still welcome after my crabby "can't come" response before. I apologize...I know I was being short. I was just so frustrated with DH's response when I asked him about this and I guess I just let it out here. As he reminded me...we are suppose to take a week's vacation in late August and that would eat up funds (air fare, hotels, car rental, dog sitter, etc.) and thinking we might not be able to afford to do that and the IU4. Plus we have the wedding coming up with all the plans and expenses that come with it. Then there is DH taking time from work and finding a sitter for Scout is always a problem. In the past, my sister has stayed here with Scout & mom whenever we go away, but mom is getting so bad now. Paul reminded me what a wreck I was just being away for a long week-end, thinking of my mom. Frankly, I dont know if I can even take the week we are suppose to take. I know I will worry about mom the whole time IÂm gone. Anyway, he presented so many problems to me that I didn't see any way to make it work. I just donÂt feel comfortable with mom being home alone for any length of time anymore. I just had a call last week from the Red Cross saying mom pressed her emergency button and they couldnÂt reach her. I couldnÂt either. After I raced over there in a pair of old sweats, no socks,no underwear (LOL...maybe thatÂs too personal) no face wash, no teeth brushing and of course, forgetting my keys to her place. Heart pounding, head pounding. Ringing the doorbell over and over, pounding on the doors....thought I would have to have the police break down the door because it would take up too much time for me to race back home and get my keys and come back again. Finally, I thought to go to her bedroom window and pound on it and *relief* she finally came to the door. She was fine, she just didnÂt *hear* anything and didnÂt remember pressing her emergency button! I was a wreck, to say the least. She is starting to tell me things that make *no sense*! In my heart I know she probably would be better off if she were somewhere where she could be monitored 24/7, but IÂm just not ready to push mom in to giving up her freedom and my sister is in as much denial as I am. But I worry about her all the time when I am not with her and I canÂt be with her 24/7. Anyway, IÂm losing my train of thought. I was thinking (though a bit ashamed of myself for thinking it) that if DH stayed home, he could sit Scout and check on my mom and if I got this job at the library, maybe I could afford the extra trip. And, just wanted to say, *if* I can somehow work it out I hope you guys will forget my rash/rude answer here earlier. I know you guys are sweethearts and arenÂt going to say anything publicly to hurt or embarrass me, so you can always email me. I know things are a little strained with me...IÂm in a funk and a little stressed out (probably of my own making) and get the feeling that maybe others are too? In any case, I hope all that can will get to go to the IU4! I know you will have a wonderful, memorable time! Okay, put that out there...Ei

• chelone
    17 years ago

Whoop, whoop, whoop!

I detect caregiver overload... or maybe I'm simply hypersensitive. Ei., I e-mailed you the usual way (check your spam!). I UNDERSTAND, my friend!

You will appreciate this, Ei., I STILL can't quite accept that I am free when I leave work... I don't have to race home to make sure Mum is OK, her pouch is emptied, etc.. I still have the lump in my throat when I look into her room. It's hard. Same lump as I've unpacked boxes of long hidden china, the same stuff I used to have my morning cocoa in 40 years ago... :(

I still can't quite believe I can actually THINK about an Idyllunion... I'll believe it when I actually check in and "see" some of you. Until then, well... it will be a fantasy.

(((a big hug to Ei,)))

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

Hi Chelone!

I didn't get your note and I'm sure it's because of my security service. I'm having a lot of problems with them and plan to call them this week-end.

Yea, I'm sure a lot of it does have to do with mom. I don't know how you managed to do all you did and still hold yourself together. I don't have anywhere near the responsibility you had, since I have my sister, but it still is hard to hold it together some days.

I am so happy for you that things are working out with your mom...I hear a spring in your step! :-) I'm so glad that you are in a place now where you *can* think about things like Idyllunions...you deserve to. Anyway, thanks for understanding. Ei

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

Ei -- Im so sorry you're so stressed about this -- you could room w/ one of us & that would cut down on costs, maybe some cheapo ticket into Phila or BWI or even DC., etc.... I hope things settle down for you in a few months -- we feel for you!!!

Re hotels, in the Holiday Inn Express idea, here's the one I found that's close to Longwood/Wintherthur/Swarthmore. Im personally more familiar with the KOP area where Sue & Mary mentioned hotels (& could probably get some restaurant ideas from my brother) - those hotels would be quite close to Chanticleer, but farther for the rest... but also an area that's right off the main routes of travel of Rt. 76, turnpikes, etc. for where people are driving from. To get to this one, people would have to drive a few miles south on Rt. 202 to reach....

The Holiday Inn Express closest to Longwood is this one (w/ outdoor pool, suites, it appears a couple of conf. rooms - maybe we could rent one?, compli. breakfast - looks similar to one last year)....I think it's about 5 miles from Longwood, a few more from Swarthmore, Winterthur, about 1/2 hr. from Phila airport; I suspect it would be about 40 mins. drive to Chanticleer in traffic.

I dont have any particular feeling one way or the other (in fact my comfort zone is better in KOP) but thought I'd throw it into the arena as food for thought w/ Monique's itinerary.

--Cindy

• drema_dianne
    17 years ago

Ei, you could never sound rash or rude:) I totally understand your frustration. When we want to do one thing, but someone or something is telling us it might not be the best decision. Hopefully things will work out that you can make it to the idyllunion, with or without DH:))) The other thing I wanted to say was, don't sweat the job interview, or the measurement of your self worth by one person in one room, in one building. Sometimes it is hard to really believe this, especially when we want something so much. But many times things go into this job interview process that we are not aware of... like they had to post the job, but know who they are going to hire before it is even posted...sometimes it is very political. Or not, but don't let one slow down stop you from going forward with what you want to do. Keep believing in yourself and your abilities! You have lots of them.

D.

• aussie_doodle
    17 years ago

Is this Idyll visit to Philadelphia gardens still happening in 2007? I'm curious because nothing has been posted since the end of January, 2007. If it is still going to take place in July, I'd like to contact one of the organizers.

• Monique z6a CT
    17 years ago

I believe it is still on. The next step is probably to pick hotels. There were 2 in the area that offered free breakfast and they were close to each other, both very close to Longwood and Winterthur. Cindy already mentioned the Holiday Inn Express listed below.

Holiday Inn Express Concordville/Kennett Square-Glen Mills, PA-$107/nt, free breakfast, free internet access, 24hr lounge, all non-smoking rooms, outdoor pool, 15 miles from airport. See link 2 notes above.

Comfort Inn & Suites/Brandywine Valley-West Chester, PA-$110/nt, $99/nt with AAA, has free continental breakfast, indoor heated pool, internet access, 22 miles from airport. See link below.

• aussie_doodle
    16 years ago

Thank you, Monique. Would you be willing to talk to me about this Idyll? I am affiliated with Greater Philadelphia Gardens, whose web site you mentioned in an earlier posting, and I'd like to talk to you about this gathering in Philadelphia in July. You could reach me via the email address info@greaterphiladelphiagardens.org (you may already be signed up for that web site's Newsletter?). Many thanks...

• aussie_doodle
    16 years ago

Oops, sorry, Monique...make that info@gpgardens.org. (The web site is www.greaterphiladelphiagardens.org.)

• wladimir
    15 years ago

Philadelphia,Manila,NYC discount hotels. Review

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County