Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jerri_okc

Idyll #300 The Promise of Spring

Jerri_OKC
17 years ago

Only with winter comes the promise of Spring!

Carry on Idylls :)

The sky is dark and sullen

The trees look so forlorn

The days are short, a chill sets in

A winter day is born.

I yearn for spring so long ago

A day spent in the park

Among the blooming daffodil

The wren and meadowlark.

I long for gentle days of rain

A warm breeze in the air

The fragrance of a lilac tree

A day so ever fair.

Beneath the dead decaying leaves

A bud does wait anew

To reach its arms up to the sky

When winter days are through.

Beyond the bitter winds that blow

A breeze awaits to greet

To bring in sun kissed golden rod

And tender grass so sweet.

Just as the winter fades away

To this one hope I cling

Our God, who gives the winter wind

Will surely bring the spring.

Author: Marilyn Ferguson

Comments (107)

• chelone
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I busied myself by cleaning the bedroom this afternoon. It was a real hole; dust kitties swirling across the floor, driveway grit on the rug, piles of books, and a film of dust over just about everything. NO MORE. I even went through my jewellery box and matched up the jumble of earrings. I threw out a bunch, too, leftover stuff from the days when I had my "straight job". I did not get as far as washing windows. But it looks a lot nicer now.

I've had a nagging wish to make the draperies for the bedroom for several years now, but have struggled to appropriate the time required to get it done. A friend of mine is a designer and I've done a lot of work for her over the years. She had graciously consented to abuse her "to the trade" discount for my benefit. I am not sure if I will use a fabric valence or coerce the helpmeet into making me two wooden ones, similar to those in the living area. Anyway, I'm going to work the measurements again, and also factor in the window in the adjoining bathroom.

It was cold today and it precipitated all day long, though we've only wound up with a whopping 1 1/2". I can't say I'm terribly disappointed. The golf course is a lot more inviting when you don't have to slog through a foot of snow. Rex doesn't care, either way. He loves to do "rollie-polies", running, dropping his shoulder and sliding along. Makes me smile every time.

Cynthia, you certainly have put in your time. I smiled at the abandonned pruners, how many times have we done the same thing here? I hope you have before and after shots to share with us, too! Good luck with the Forsythia; I'll have my turn on that wheel after they bloom in the spring. Can't wait... not.

I'm thinking about Marian and Nolon, too. I just watched the news and the feature on Oklahoma was eerily familiar to what happened in Maine and NH in '98. And then the news that CA has apparently lost half their citrus crop... my heart goes out to those affected. Marian, you really do need to have a pair of those pull on cleats for your boots! My BIL gave me a pair the year I slipped on ice and broke my wrist. I take a lot of ribbing about them by my co-workers, but the broken wrist was not only painful, but inconvenient and expensive, as well. They're inexpensive and really easy to pull on and take off. REALLY.

The helpmeet watched "An Incovenient Truth" today. I will have to make a point to sit and watch it. He also brought home "Mission Impossible" and "All the King's Men". I don't really care a fig about "MI 3", but the others might be fun. But not tonight.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    17 years ago

I have a new approach...instead of waiting for two days of posts and trying to catch up, I am going to try to read/respond more often and see if that helps..lol.

I doubt there are many football fans in this group, but it's 3 to 2 boys at our house and they are all sports fans. Patriots or Red Sox, they love them. Plus our daughter is also very much a sports fan. It was a wild game yesterday but they did win and we were all so relieved. I enjoy watching key games but I enjoy their enjoyment of it more and I can't remember ever turning on a game to watch myself. Nail biting game though.

15 more winter sown containers outside this morning. Lupine/Primula/Poppy/Petunia. That's it for this weekend.

Room colors again...hearing about all your different colors and room decors reminded me of the first time I ever got to choose the paint in my room. I had to be about 7yrs old or so and I guess I decided I didn't like the color paint in my room. I still remember how happy I was when I was allowed to change the color. I chose a lilac pastel purple and loved it. We moved a lot, and one of the next houses we moved into,when I was about 12, I wanted to redo my bedroom again and of all things I had the idea I wanted to have black and white zebra stripes..lol. The walls were all white and the bedroom furniture already was a white enamel finish. So they actually allowed me to put zebra wallpaper on the sliding closet doors and some kind of bedding and curtains that went along with that. LOL I hated it after it was all done. But I so much appreciated my parents allowing me to try it and I learned some valuable lessons about how an idea sounds so great in your head but can turn out entirely different than you hope. :-)

I am starting to think I am the only one without Thalia. [g]

Cynthia I love the bell you found at home goods. I am going to have to check that out. I love wind chimes but since my DH doesn't, maybe I can interest him in some bells. :\-) You might try alternating ice/heat for your hands, they might heal faster. Oh, Cynthia...I definitely missed that there is a Cynthia and a Cindy. I think I have been responding to both your posts as if you were one person. \[g\] I'm really sorry! I think I have you right though...you posted a separate post with your grayhounds, correct? Sorry. Taking out a fence is a big job, Cynthia. Glad you are finished with it. One side of our property has post and rail and it is looking a little old. I am hoping it will give us a few more years. I hate to think what it cost to replace it these days. We ripped out a 100ft overgrown shrub border the year before last and did it all by hand. At least my grown children and DH did. We had one forsythia that had colonized into about 12 and was one huge massive collective! It was a bear digging the whole thing out, but the worst one was a flowering quince. Martie, I LOVED that photo of the 'Shropshire Lad' rose. I think I have seen that one before. It is such a pretty form. Congratulations on the new budget..nice when your employer appreciates you. You must be doing something right. :\-) I got a kick out of your story about the colors from the church. Your room sounds the best...sky blue. I didn't have time to say in the last post...that I am really disappointed that I can't say I will come to Logee's, if for nothing else but to see everyone. It is just always very unpredictable here and I can never plan. It doesn't look promising at this point. Chelone....I tried riding again, about 15 years ago and that was the last time. Definitely wasn't in shape to do it again. Sounds like you were very involved in it at one time. We had a family member with horses but not for many years. They had Appaloosas and Draft Horses. The draft horses are amazing animals. I do miss being around horses. About the only time I see one any more is at the Topsfield Fair or the Four H Fairs. Or on the Budweiser commercials...lol. I have already decided to avoid any movie that has John Malkovich in it. :\-) Your description of the historic houses you visited as a child remind me of Sturbridge Village and some of the strong colors in some of their homes. Colonial Williamsburg is one of my favorite places to visit. Kathy...your Happy Child Rose...I found a photo and it is really a very pretty yellow with a sweet name. Also liked the Lady of Guadalupe, and the Souv De Malmaison... I love old roses. It looks very delicate. Will they need spraying at all? Roses have to be my favorite flower of all. I have not grown many at all though, since I just don't have the sun or the energy to care for them. Plus I am organic and I just wouldn't spray at all. I am hoping to add a few to a bed in the front of the house where I almost have full sun all day. I just have to find a few that won't need spraying and are very fragrant. Not easy to do. Also a Jane Austen fan. For some reason I have a fascination with anything English. Jane Eyre was another favorite old English novel on film. The lavender I started from seed last year were lavender angustifolia and went into the raised areas...but mounds are even better and I will try that. No, the winter sown seeds are in milk jugs so maybe you could say they are their own little greenhouse? \[g\] No cold frame. I would assume most varieites are either needing the chilling or they are hardy seeds. I have done tomatoes. The Delphiniums I ordered from New Zealand last year to try to get a cultivar that had some immunity to mildew which is the reason I ripped out my last plants. I winter sowed them and did get a few plants. Not a high germination with that seed anyway. I have a couple of plants that stayed small last year and didn't bloom, so I am waiting to see what happens this year. No snails here yet. Woody...royal blue on the stairwell ceiling...sounds exciting. Michelle.... I wasn't sure I would get to the winter sowing this year. Then the weather seemed too warm. I am using a lot of seed from trading last year too. I am ordering some new because I really have enough of what I collected from my own yard for the most part. I really enjoy doing it. Thanks for the tip on the location of threads from past IUs. I did go back and look at them. Some wonderful photos there. I would ask a million questions, but my posts are long enough. \[g\] Maybe some week when it is really slow here. Is it ever slow here? lol Oh, I just got through marveling at that photo of the bells in Trudy's garden and showing them to my DH. Eden...that is a lot of plants. All this talk of plants gave me the urge to give them all a little extra dose of attention today. I might have 15 plants and that is enough for me. I only have two windows that are good candidates for plants and they are both full. You have a bird of paradise..my DH's favorite. I imagine you need a lot of sun indoors for them? Oops! Hope there wasn't a major problem with the branch snapping. Bug...Is that a lily getting ready to open in front of the statue? Mary....what a busy household you have! Cindy! My apologies to you too! I promise to keep you and Chloe straight from now on. :\-) Marian, I also love that series..'Sarah Plain and Tall. I remember reading it to the kids and I was so pleasantly surprised to see it on TV. Gosh, that jade plant is older than all of my kids! lol I do have a jade plant that is only a year old and very small, but I am sure it will never get enough sun to bloom..not in this house anyway. I found it fascinating that you designed your own home and ordered up those Southwest windows for yourself marian. That sounds like so much fun! This is the longest I have lived in a house too. We have been here about that long too. What kind of horses does your sister have? I have to stop there...lol. I just refreshed and I see four new posts and all those photos from Ei! I will have to look them all over tomorrow and post more then. It's been fun...goodnight all. :\-) pm2
  • dodgerdudette
    17 years ago

My, but everyone is certainly verbose today ! Ive really enjoyed reading all the lengthy posts-it was a slow news day for the newspaper , and no mail so how better to spend an hour or two.

Eden, Im impressed with your inventory of 38 houseplants. But do some of them get a summer vacation outside ? Excellent job, Pottery Barn vs. trash and thrift store finds. A definite boon to your credibility with DH ! Hope the ice dissipates for you . Makes me feel pretty lucky when I read about the ice-storm action. I guess thats why it costs so much to live in California !

Mary, when I lived in San Diego (this was 20 years ago plus) the NPR affiliate there used to broadcast a Canadian Public Broadcasting show on Saturday mornings that I used to listen to on my car radio when I was driving to work (I worked at a garden center so usually worked Sats) I wish I could remember the name of the show-I really enjoyed it. I wonder if it is still around ?

Chelone, have you seen the latest version of "Pride and Prejudice" ? The Joe Wright directed version. It was a little edgy, (though not as edgy as Cate Blanchett in "Elizabeth" or "Orlando") I liked it, think I will rent it again next winter for a second viewing. Im also re-viewing "Room With a View" and "Howards End" this month. I do Netflix which I really like because of all the obscure movies I like to watch which cant be found at the local rental place.(I'm very fond of 40's/50's film noir amoung others) I hope your work situation resolves itself to your benefit.You're sounding better every day. Power out to you.
    Out here in the West, our historical buildings ("Old" California" ) are mostly white-walled the Missions and the old adobes around Monterey, San Diego, Benecia, Sonoma etc. There probably werent a lot of pigments around in those days, and maybe white seemed cool and crisp in our hot dry summers. Quite a contrast with the richly colored rooms of the east.

Martie, you would not believe the lengths I go to, to find more room for roses ! Shropshire Lad looks very worthy; gonna do some research ! I enjoyed your micro-climate mapping of your garden. I have been involved in teaching seminars on this very topic. It always amazes me what variations there can be in a small area.

Marian, yes the begonia has hairy stems. The nursery where I bought had them in hanging baskets as you describe, white flowers and very rounded form. I used to have a beefsteak which I foolishly lost one winter here. I really need to replace it-one of my faves. You are right , we are not hardened off here in terms of cold. We are expecting some higher temps in couple of days. We are starting to worry about lack of rain, and the run-off from the Sierra is a water source here too.

Jeesh Cynthia, your temps are a good 10 degrees warmer than ours. Enjoy it while you can ! And isnt Chloe that majestic standard poodle ?? And if not , who ??? I know someone posted a very cool pic. Weigh in Cindy. Im confused :-)

Ei , what a great chatty post. I dont type fast enough to respond in kind LOL. I will tell you though that a couple of years ago during out Napa Valley Wine Auction (a big, big deal here) Chihuly did some installations in the vineyards . They were extremely beautiful, if you can imagine one of his pieces on a large scale, sticking up in the middle of full grown , summer verdant grape vines. It was something to see.

Love the office colormine is green , though still incomplete.

PM, I dont have Thalia either ! Ive been seeing her in catalogs I bet for 20 years. LOL the zebra stripe décor. I had bright pink wallpaper , but in the 60s traded it in for walls entirely papered in Beatle pics and posters.
    I have been in a football pool for about ten years that culminates in an awards dinner the weekend before super bowl. There are almost 200 people in the pool. So the prize money is pretty good.. Its really fun , lots of my co-workers and business associates are in it. However, I have not watched a football game in probably 10 years. I read the sports pages religiously and that is how I make my picks. I am having a really lousy year this season though and will not be "in the money". Oh Well ! I am also in a fantasy baseball league. Very fun . but lots more work than the football pool.
    On my roses, I have 60 plus and do not spray-Im organic too. I have tried to plant disease resistant roses , but there are some that I just need to have, and I tolerate their weaknesses. I fertilize with alfalfa meal early in the season, and Dr Earth organic once in summer. Our biggest challenge here is blackspot. I have found since I stopped spraying that insect problems are negligible because I have so many beneficials.

OK time to read for awhilebut where the heck is Deanne ? Honey ? V ? T ? Wendy? Just about everyone has weighed in the last couple of days. And Jerri is in the middle of that awful ice storm stuff in OK.

Well, hello to all , posting or not. Stay warm, stay safe, pitchers and catchers report in one month and and it is exactly 64 days till spring.

Kathy in Napa

• chelone
    17 years ago

Ei, your tile job and the restyled kitchen are great, but it's THAT TABLE that really gets the prize! It looks fabulous... now fess up, what inspired you and how did you go about doing it? What kind of paint did you use? and did you seal the underside of the table with anything so the paint can't be scratched off (or pulled off when some deliquent sticks their wad of gum under there ;) )? I wouldn't replace appliances, either. What's the point really? the reality is whoever buys your house will have their own ideas about what they want in the kitchen... same rule as selling antique upholstered furniture... leave it in tatters and let the buyer decide how they want it covered. Your "eye candy" and "novel" will certainly teach me to refresh BEFORE adding a post. :)

I haven't seen the "latest" "Pride and Prejudice", it's such a great story. I love the little window stories like those give us into a time long since gone. I have seen "Elizabeth", but it was so historically inaccurate it annoyed me. The doe-like portrayal of Eliz. was leagues away from her real persona (she was no innocent!) and the sets were Romanesque and Gothic NOT Tudor. I also loved "A Room With A View", like Helena Bonham Carter very much, very talented actress. The helpmeet has been squeaking about Netflix for sometime now, maybe we ought to give it a try; has anyone here seen "Marie Antoinette" with Kirsten Dunst? And another vote for "Sarah Plain and Tall", loved that one, too. Prairie., a brilliant film with Malkovich in it is "Dangerous Liasons"... LOVED it. He is positively reptilian in his role, perfect for the character, lol.

I'm missing Deanne, too... perhaps she's keeled over from exposure taking bird photographs or inhaling too many paint fumes? I understand her area was hit with ice, too... wondering if she lost power?

I'm thinking of 'bug, too. And the activity at her home, smokin' knitting needles, blistering guitar riffs, and pleasant visits with her brother.

Wow, you guys, all the winter sowing, rose talk, and houseplants... I'M OUT. I had some lovely Henry Kelseys, but a devastingly cold and bare winter laid 'em low and they never recovered. I shovel pruned them and have only a "New Dawn" left in a protected site. I'm a reactionary rosarian, I'm afraid, and I inevitably react too slowly or too late, altogether!

Tasks to accomplish today:
    1.) must call Mum's doctor about the questionnaire he must fill out for nursing home assessment. I may have to collect her, and bring her to his office for a visit... that will entail fully 6 hours worth of driving. Sigh.
    2.) Must organize some talking points and speak with my boss. Not a discussion I wish to have without some forethought.
    3.) More cleaning.

Later 'gators.

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Busy, busy, busy... NO time to catch up but wanted to share this... We had one dilly of an ice storm yesterday and like the slightly crazy person I am I sat out in my blind and took some bird photographs. (what else to do, we lost power for 13 hours?)

Anyway, I shot about eight hundred photos yesterday and had a few keepers amongst them. LOL Here is one I quick downsized. Poor little things couldn't ever sit still on the perches, they kept hopping from foot to foot then using their beak to peck between their toes so as not to freeze to the branches, I guess I shouldn't complain about lack of electricity

{{gwi:148568}}

OK must get some things done so to that end I'm outta here

Deanne

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

Mornin' all!

DB left at 6AM, I have just had a bath and washed hair, am considering doing nothing but resting and knitting.

I've knit some simple cotton things: a small blanket, hat and jacket for the summer baby. The buttons will be the thing that make the outfit, so I will probably wait until I know if we are dealing with a boy or girl before adding those. I've been told of a button shop to explore in a nearby village, something I'm looking forward to!

In the meantime I have found a complex pattern for a newborn's blanket done on tiny needles with fine fine cashmere wool. This will keep me busy for a while but I have begun and LOVE working with these materials.

Already I must fix up the guest room once more for this weekend. Since DH will be at a conference in Tennessee, I will enjoy the visitors. What ever happened to the quiet country life?

So glad to see Ei and Deanne's photos!

Literacy is something I taught for a few years in Toronto. It is a real eye opener. Did you know people can take driving exams orally? Think about that when you are annoyed by the antics of those driving around you. Many cannot read signs at all, especially emergency ones. Drivers manuals are the top item in these classes, the carrot in front of the donkey that keeps them motivated. I met amazing people and learned a great deal about the problems illiterates face in their lives. It is truly a job for saints, and so I turned to teaching English as a foreign language afterwards.

For those talking paint and colour, I am about to do one coat only (I hope!)on our family room. It is a pale yellow at the moment, but I will alter the hue a bit and make it match the adjacent kitchen's creamy yellow. DH bought a rug to hang on one wall, so I want to freshen up before that gets mounted. I'm not too sure about the rug, but since he NEVER contributes to the physical ambiance of the home, I feel I must allow him this one!

PM2 and others asked about the plant near the fairy statue from 2004's Idyllyunion. I thought it was the seedheads of Martagon Lilies...but don't know for sure. Mine resemble them.

Outdoors it is crunchy. Charlotte makes crackly noises as she tiptoes about on the crusty surfaces. 12F this morning, 1F later in the week. Poor poor garden. Hard to imagine Kathy's roses....

Chelone, sounds like some serious thinking on your agenda today. Yes, it is time for YOU! Curtains in the bedroom, fabric therapy! :-)

Must be on my way. Do enjoy this day! Who knows tomorrow....
    'bug

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

From Chloe:

No way, a pooodle! I am a mighty Maltese, dog of Kings and Queens..... altho I am quite naturally photogenic, my Mommy is not a good photographer; hence she usually takes silly photos of me. However, here is one of me in repose...:

{{gwi:148569}}

See, she takes this silly photos like this:

{{gwi:148570}}

But truly I am a very mighty big dog in a little body!

While I was on border patrol yesterday in my yard, hunting for illegal aliens and alien invaders, I did discover this:

{{gwi:148571}}

He must be confused -- because altho it was a warm 65 degrees, it is going to go back to great brrrr weather today of 26 in the nite. Guess I'll be wearing that silly coat Mommy makes me wear when we go walking & she thinks it's cold. Mommy said to leave the silly Daffodil alone; I prefer lilies myself (they're quite tasty, but the vet makes me take nasty meds if I have a snack of them)....so I try to listen to Mommy every once in a while.

Okie - Im off to a nap; Mommy had to go to something called "work."

--Chloe

• honey_mi
    17 years ago

Just want to pop in and say Hi before the winds start up and we lose power again. Whew! This weather. Im a bit concerned about the big elm next to the house and my new magnolia out front. So far we havent had any damage, but neighbors have.

Is it a full moon or what? I planned on getting back here sooner but First it was a 2.5 hr. phone call from our good friends in Fla. She needed a sounding board to rant about friends who mooched off them for 8 days! Id have trouble being w/this couple in tight quarters for 8 hrs., let alone 8 days.

Had a mini-reunion w/former colleagues last week. It was great catching up with everyone.

Then a flurry of phone calls and emails:
    · Re a family reunion w/siblings and cousins
    · Nephews destination wedding in Sept.
    · Vacation at DBs condo in Hilton Head in July

Then, I got a real call out of the blue from a HS classmate about a reunion in Atlantic City next Sept. Yee gads. I doubt that will happen but who knows? Why he phoned me of all people is a puzzle. I was a very shy, wallflower type, and maybe said 5 words to him-- ever. Ennyhoo, we kicked around the idea and I gave him some email addresses and phone numbers and shared responses we got last time. Some were really funny:
    · "I won't be there. I don't want my current wife to meet my X".
    · "There's no one I want to ever see again."
    · "Those people made my life miserable then, I won't give them another chance."
    · "No thanks, I've moved on to bigger and better things."
    Lastly, my other good friend in West Palm Bch wants me to visit soon, so Ive been trying to nail down the dates for that. As I said, is it a full moon?

In between all this, Im scouring the stores for fabric and ready-mades while the 50% off sales are on. I found several that might work, but I havent decided yet. Ill check out some more when I go for my haircut this pm (if I can get out of my subdivision).

Cynthia, Cynthia, so good to have you back posting! Ive really missed you and all the stories about your furbies! Great score at Home Goods! Hmmm, maybe Ill make another trip up there to see if they have any bells here.

Oh, Martie, thats such exciting news about Kyle. And fabu, fabu that youll get to see London and Paris. Youll love Paris. I did. It was so easy to figure out the subway system there and we had no trouble getting around. I know everyone will warn you, but do watch for pickpockets, especially around Notre Dame and favorite tourist places. Wear soft soled, comfortable shoes b/c of uneven pavement. No white tennis shoes it broadcasts that youre a tourist. The Louve is amazing. Luckily, we pre-planned what we wanted to see, mainly a couple artists, the Mona Lisa (its so small!) and the Egyptian exhibit. One could get lost in there for weeks on end. What fun youre going to have.

Bug, check out Benny Moore paint colors in their Interior Inspirations brochure. There were some very interesting colors in there: Acorn Yellow, Nutmeg, Camouflage, etc. Good luck with your projects.

Sue, sounds like quite a party youre brewing for Tom. And Wow! What a garden event youll be having. Hmmm, Id rather come see your garden again than any ole class reunion.

Norma, those pix showing ice covered trees wouldve been taking out my windows! Its very pretty, but.

Laura, go for that yellow. Itll lift your spirits every time you go in there. Kathy, I think the yellow you used in the pic you posted is about the color I used in our basement. Also, the black-framed art on your walls looks like the series I bot! Great minds and all.

Chelone, The "Horse Whisperer" book was better than the movie. I worked on getting my co. in a major part of that movie but the project crashed. Very frustrating.

Oh Michelle, tell me about those bells?! Wow, I could do that! Im shaking my head when hearing about Kenzie and Bella. My GN is the same age and is doing all the same things. When she doesnt want to do something, she uses this really soft, sweet voice and says, "No, thank you." and walks away. She is very much into reading, too. Im amazed that she knows and can name basic colors. My niece has taught her sign language, so she signs as well speaks. Often there will be a perfectly clear sentence, followed by jibberish. We all really enjoy her.

Well, I only got part way thru this thread. So Ill post and catch up some more next time. Tootles, kids and be careful on that ice, everyone.

Honey

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    17 years ago

Ei...you've got me hoping that Chihuly comes our way soon. The glass at the Belagio looks like jelly fish to me. and the one in the garden is quite spectacular. Has me wondering how he puts all those glass pieces together. Thanks for sharing those. Does Chihuly know you are out making converts? [g]

Congratulations on your DS's upcoming wedding. You must be very excited and very busy.

I really really like your color in your office.It is really sunny and cheerful. I see a dog on your computer screen that looks like Scout. :-)

You are really handy, I would have you over to do my tiles in the bathroom any time, and you laid down that floor too. But the project on the table really tops it all. I just love that painted glass effect and I have seen those done in decorative framed forms, but not on a large tapletop like that. I have the same questions Chelone asked, about sealing it etc. Really creative job.

I followed your link to the Drifty's Art Chimes, but evidently they don't have any for sale right now, so no pics, that I could find.

Martie, I missed you figuring out your micro climates....I have not figured out mine at all. I know where the shade/sun is and for how long, but when people say 'plant in a sheltered spot' I can never figure out if I have one in my yard or not. Is there a good book that helps you figure all that out? Looks like you and Kathy both have this figured out. Is there a best time to figure it out, like on a snowy icy day, when you can see where the snow/ice is melting or not?

Mary, I have always wanted to try glass blowing and I would have found Chihuly's studio fascinating! Is your DH interested in glass blowing?

Kathy...we are going to have to both get Thalia. [g] Do you plant spring bulbs in the fall? I have had Thalia on my list for a long time too..I am sure there is a lot of discussion on bulbs here in the fall. I have a vision of your Beatle pics and postered walls. :-) Was it you that started the Beatle song discussion? I got their Rubbersoul album from the library a few weeks ago and put it on my computer and have been enjoying it since. That was my favorite album in high school.

Was your DH in the football/baseball pools too? So how do you figure out who you think is going to win? I suppose it is complicated. I think I do understand what you mean about going by the newspaper information on the stats etc., like handicapping a horse race? But I am thinking of the game this weekend between the Chargers and the Patriots. On paper it really seemed like that Charger team should have won. And I can only imagine what the stats of the game were like when it was over. The Chargers were really the stronger team throughout the game, and then the Patriots suddenly turned the tide and won it in the last 5 minutes. That was quite a surprise. I imagine it is fun way to follow sports with your friends and coworkers.

60 roses is a lot of roses, Kathy! :-) Your garden must be heavenly in the summer. Do you save petals? I did remember you were organic. I don't know why I asked if you sprayed. So do you have a number of roses that are really disease resistant and good for organic care in addition to those you 'have to have'? Any recommendations for me, if I only have room for about 5 in full sun and have to have fragrance and long bloom? [g] Have you ever tried growing any in part sun? I look forward to seeing photos of your garden come the summer. :-)

Well...we are having our garage roof done today and I need to get off...I will finish later..

Enjoy the day.. :-)
    pm2

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

What do you call your niece's daughter? Anyway, I have a new one as of January 6th, born in London. Her name is Lily. I call all of them cousins....can't keep track! The baby's brother is Rowan.

The sun is shining a bit as I drink my tea at the computer. I'm using my Christmas mug still....

Honey, I just discovered that Berkshire Hathaway, which I own a tiny bit of, owns Benjamin Moore paints! Too bad I don't get a discount. ;-)

This enlarged family of ours has really changed my style. I haven't even looked at the new clematis offerings out for this year. Nor roses. At least I got my bulbs in last Fall so I have that to look forward to! I sure hope the critters have left my Camassias and Spring Green tulips alone!

Later!
    'bug, starving but virtuous!

• honey_mi
    17 years ago

OK, heres one for the football fans here:

Football FINALLY makes sense.......... A guy took his blonde girlfriend to
    her first football game. They had great seats right behind their team's
    bench.

After the game, he asked her how she liked the experience. "Oh, I really
    liked it," she replied, "especially the tight pants and all the big
    muscles, but I just couldn't understand why they were killing each other
    over 25 cents."

Dumbfounded, her date asked, "What do you mean?"

"Well, they flipped a coin, one team got it and then for the rest of the
    game, all they kept screaming: 'Get the quarterback! Get the quarterback!'
    I'm like...Helloooooo? It's only 25 cents!!!!

Chelone, I wanted to comment about your starting up your own business. I found out recently why so many small businesses fail here. Its b/c our state taxes them on gross sales and they usually fail the first yr. If thats not a problem in your state, I say go for it. But whatever you do, advertise to powerboaters, lololol. Im sure youll do well. However, I think youll be more able to ignore the other stuff at your shop, when youve rested and are not still stressed to the nines about your Mum.

OK, count me among the color lovers. Other than myy red GR wall, Ive stuck to pastels b/c theyre more restful to me. But Im getting more into medium shades these days.

Oh, Michelle. Thank you for reminding me about Trudys garden bells. It was such a treat so see her wonderful garden.

Cynthia, I find clippers in my yard the same way!

Marian, BC=Before Cats, lol. Dont know about you, but I cant imagine my life anymore w/o one. And I agree with you! There is too much to comment on.

Ei, gorgeous tile job! But I love, love, love your house anyway. Particularly the front porch. I agree you should use those old kitchen chairs in the garden. Theyd be perfect! OR, how about sitting a big Santa or Snowman on one for the holidays? I do like the change in the kitchen set for staging the house for sale. Good choices. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! How fun. As a friend of mine puts it, all the mother of the groom has to do is: "Shut up, show up and wear beige." LOL.

Eden, I heard that cracking sound outside like you did. It was from one of the 150 willows back by the pond. Half of it is lying on the path. Hope we dont get that wind theyre predicting or well have more damage.

Kathy, I posted the picture of the Standard Poodle. Jacque belongs to a friend/neighbor who stops by when she takes Jacque and Tim (a Golden) for walks. The dogs know that ours is the "House of Treats".

Deanne, glad youre OK and indulging yourself with photography. Great pic, as always. That looks like the tree outside my den window.

Chelone, I hope you can accomplish the business with your Mums Dr. w/o a 6 hr. drive. Unpleasant during good weather, just too scary in this icy mess. I hope youre able to come to a resolution at work that youre comfortable with.

Cindy, Chloe is adorable! When Bullet goes to kitty heaven, DH wants a real dog. By that he means 40+ lbs. and up. Im thinking at our age, a smaller dog might be good, in case we down size to a condo. Also, well be much older when the animal is older and its easier to carry a small dog to the vet when its sick than a larger animal. There is a dog show next weekend and DH wants to go to look at different breads again. Oh dear.

Bug, your nieces daughter would be your grandniece!

Ei, that art glass pic you posted looks like the gorgeous pieces at Atlantis in the Bahamas. They were spectacular.

OK, I'm off to get my haircut. Stay safe, everyone.

Honey

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

"grandniece"!!!!

I feel 100 years old now....
    'bug

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

Ei you can never write too much! Great to hear from you now I see why youve been away from here what projects! Wow I thought your place looked great at IU; I cant believe your making all these "improvements" just so you can sell the place! Its truly a wonderful craftsman house; it had a ton of charm & design before; youve just added a bunch of "pizzazz" to make it really hot. I hope you get to enjoy some of these improvements before leaving though, lol. I truly cannot believe you painted that table -- amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

60 roses, Kathy boy I missed that somewhere. I usually am guilty of reading the most recent threads & working my way backwards; I know that means I miss a lot. . . . speed reading backwards is definitely NOT a good way towards total reading comprehension. Love your Dooby by the way. You are obviously in a mix of great different type group activities where in the world do you find the time for all of them (but glad you find the time for Idylling here, intensive as it is).

Cynthia count me among the rusted garden tool crowd Ive lost/found countless trowels & other items; even my good pruners (ugh)...wish I had some good compost I could dig in to find some my yard is way too small for any composting of any quality (bummer); I usually import the stuff. Sounds like you worked like a trojan yesterday; I was tired just reading about it!

Honey youve been on a whirlwind of activity as usual you listed the exact reasons why Chloe is my second maltese its great having a lap dog and for a single person sooo much easier to get to the vet when ill, etc.; I hear the "real dog" comment often including from my SIL; but in person theres nothing "toy" about her as feisty and lovable as any 40 lbs could be. There have been many times Ive been so thankful I stuck w/ smaller dogs Ive never been without one.

Deanne 800 shots? Boy, you have been stuck in the duck blind! you must be getting carpel tunnel from repetitive motion surely?

Nothing being held against anyone re Chloe one really does need a written scorecard to keep track of all the details of the various Idyllers; and when we get into similar names & geography, who the heck can keep track?! Im lucky if I read a complete thread thru in the proper original order!

Marian glad to hear the ground isnt iced over; altho I suspect thats coming for all of us.

-bug - can't believe you havent thought about what clems to order! I actually just placed a couple orders & both places were already sold out of a number of varieties -- and it's not even the end of January!

Well, I better eat some lunch today as usually the case is now a "Monday & Tuesday combined" to catch up on all the work they did ... eeeiii.

Cindy

• chelone
    17 years ago

How about you hoist one in tribute to your "100 yrs.", 'bug?!

I addressed the overflowing returnables this morning. I went to Mum's doctor to collect the questionnaire. He graciously filled out the medical aspect of it and added the note that the administrator should read carefully MY replies to the questions as I have a far more in-depth grasp of Mum's abilities/failings that he did! I will copy the forms and then deliver to my brother along with the replenished urostomy supplies.

I have done 4 loads of laundry today, too. I lit a fire in the woodstove and all the laundry is either on hangers or racks in the living room. I can feel the increase in humidity in our home... I've left the slider open enough for kitties to slip through and they've been in and out about 50 times so far. ;) They circumnavigate the foundation and then hit the feeding station or the catbox. I am gravely at risk of carpal tunnel syndrome from my herculean efforts to keep their catbox clean...

The oil delivery man was here today. We received just under 80 gallons, indicative of the mild December. He was afraid to back into BIL's driveway next door, fearing he might not be able to get out again (it slopes down). He said he'd filled up nearly everyone with "tough" driveways on Friday and was surprised to find BIL's untouched since it's usually clear as can be. I told the driver I'd tell him and convey his assurance that he won't run out of oil.

Chloe is as cute as she can be. But I hate dogs, always have and my loathing extends equally to the shrimpy ones and the super-sized ones. :)

I chuckled over the replies to inquiries about HS class reunions, too; because I understood completely. I couldn't wait to be done with HS and move on. I know where my HS friends are today and correspond with them and a few remaining teachers. That chapter of my life is finished. What I learned in those 4 years was how to sniff out an a--hole from 50 paces. And never let them see how much it really did hurt to be the butt of jokes at school (or on the schoolbus! where there was NO escape) after patiently helping them with their homework on the 'phone the night before... . "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." If kids don't "get it" by 14, the lesson is likely lost on them, in my opinion.

• chelone
    17 years ago

I have to say, if/when I ever have the pleasure of making your acquaitance, I'll probably use your screen name!

Cindy will be "Chloe"
    Marie will be "'bug"
    ---- will be "Saucy"
    ? will be "Eden"
    ? will be V. eronicastrum
    and I'll be fine bein' Chelone.

Little dogs... my boss has 2 Rat Terriers. They're OBNOXIOUS, but no more obnoxious than any other untrained, out of control dog. Dogs are dogs... they have all the same "moves", regardless of size. It's "standard equipment" and you learn how to operate it...

;) or spend your time with them perpetually pissed off...

• drema_dianne
    17 years ago

bug... that makes you a "GREAT" Aunt. My sister loves emphasizing the Great part... that is the upside:)

D.

• just_t
    17 years ago

{{gwi:148573}}

{{gwi:148575}}

{{gwi:148577}}

{{gwi:148578}}

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

Laura will be Eden or is it Eden will be Laura? I have a question for you Chelone. How do YOU pronounce your screen name? I know the correct pronounciation is kee-lo-nay but I don't think I've ever actually heard anyone say it that way. I've always heard it said more like shell-own.

Eden

• cynthia_gw
    17 years ago

Oh. T's still at Santa's house.

• chelone
    17 years ago

I butcher it further, EDEN, Che-lon-e. But Kee-lon-e would be OK, too, since I understand that "ch" can be pronounced either way!

;)

• chelone
    17 years ago

Lol, Cynthia.

Can I use you as a conduit for this coming Christmas list, T.?

still chuckling... ;)

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

I think we know where Santa makes very long vacation stops -- T's house! Great photos w/ that new lens, T! Faaantastic! What a great way to end the day (almost)...

-Cindy

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

It was a chilly 22 when I left home this a.m. I guess that 7" of snow that we got on Sunday will be good insulation. DD says that Kenzie keeps looking out the window at this strange stuff and says "snowman" Its been too cold for her to get out in it.

Oh T, lucky you, you have snow too! Great pictures though. Tell me you arent in a hunting blind to get such nice close-ups. LOL

Cindy, Chloe is a doll.

Ei, I love your long posts and your table is amazing and the tile job was very impressive. I even called Rick over to see your handiwork.

Honey, Kenzie knows some sign language also. I dont think shes very good with colors but she counts so well. Up to 11 in English and Spanish. It sounds like you have a fair amount of travel in your future. Funny but I dont picture you as the shy type ;o)

Deanne, wonderful picture. 800 shots, wow. Similar to trying to get a good shot of Kenzie. Shot lots and hope for a few.

Mary, Annies trip sounds like lots of fun.

Cynthia, with the temps you have been having and being able to work in the yard, no wonder seed starting doesnt interest you much.

Martie, what a neat story about the paint colors of your home growing up.

Eden, I always like to point those kind of things out to Rick. I figure he wont complain about plant purchases that way.

Michelle

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

I walked to the mailbox earlier this afternoon. He hadn't ran yet. The wind was so bitterly cold on my return home I planned on driving later on. NOT ! The entire car is incased in ice ! No way could I open a door. And no way was I going to pursue the matter. I damaged a door on my old car in a attempt to get it open when frozen ! So....I bundled up like an Eskimo, and walked up again. It wasn't half bad that time. If I had a battery-powered hair dryer, I could thaw it, but I don't :-(
    Since it is not likely to be thawed by thursday morning, there goes my doctor appointment! Oh well....

Chelone, my bedroom looks like that! And no clean-up in the near future. I haven't even put my jewelry in the new chest that I bought about a month ago!
    Re: your 'name'. I was calling it Che lone, until I heard Ei pronounce it correctly over the phone ! I felt like such a dork..lol. I pride myself in calling plants by their correct botanical names, correctly pronounced ! I sure boo booed there !
    It sounds like things are looking up for you. I'm glad !

Good to hear so many agree with me about "Sarah Plain and Tall". We watched the 3rd of the series today... "Winter's End". They are all great, and so heart-warming. I'd almost like to go through the series again NOW, but don't think Nolon would enjoy that.

Re: colors in my house. We have red and black carpeting on all the bedrooms and hallway. Our living room furniture( couches and chairs) is either floral patterns, or covered with floral coverings....mostly autumn colors. There is no theme to my decorating, but there is certainly nothing dull and dreary about it....more like being in a museum !LOL ! An awful lot of my decorating is 'early poverty'. ( smile)

How many of you watched the Golden Globes Awards last night? What a bunch of garbage, to my thinking! ( There I go again...being an old fuddy duddy! ) Meryl Streep was my favorite, and the woman who played the Queen ( Helen ? ). How long will it be before the females are totally nude on top ? Yuck !

Re: Lavender, I have tried several times, and it always dies. If I would build a raised bed, I may be able to grow it.

Re: houseplants, I have over 20 potted African Violets. I haven't counted all the others for a while, but they come to at least 50 that remain indoors year around. I am too chicken to throw out any of them, no matter how tacky they are ! I keep thinking they have some redeeming qualities.

PM2, I can't remember the bred of horses my sister has. I think one is/was an Arabian, another a Palomino. It's been 10 years since I was there, and we haven't discussed horses in a long time. They belong to a riding club. Since her DH has so many serious medical problems, I don't know what their horse status is now.

Deanne, I love that icy pic of the junco. Flocks of them are feeding on the bird seed that I am tossing out. They are joined by gold finch, purple finch, nuthatches, chickadees, cardinals, blue jays, mourning doves, and occasional woodpeckers. The crows are still eating the left over biscuits I toss out. Wrens are mostly feeding on Calicat's food! lol

Cindy, cute doggie! I enjoyed her post ! lol
    My word, a daffodil already!

Honey, great to hear from you! My my, but you HAVE been buzy ! I love that football story...lol.

Ei, I didn't get any pics on the glass link either. Just red xs !

Marie, the info that I found with a Google search said your niece's daughter is your grand niece, and her daughter is your great grand niece. I had nieces that were older than I, so I suspect that I now have great great grand nieces! ( I lost touch with them before I met Nolon.)

T, Great pics! Thanks.

Michelle, do you mean to say it was 22 below 0 this morning! Yargh ! I have only seen that once here, and it was on a 20th of January. I was born and raised where 40 below was not uncommon. It also got that cold in Nevada once, when Nolon and I lived there. ( Or maybe it was 50 below. The fuel oil froze up in the lines to the house! and in the machinery. )

Tonight is to be our coldest of this season, possibly around 0F. I will be running the wood stove at it's safest heat all night.

Marian

• cynthia_gw
    17 years ago

Dear Chloe,

I am not a picky eater either and I would eat your daffodil or lilies so that you would not get sick. I am good at being being sick, it is one of my dog given talents.

xxxooo Katie

PS: Monty says you're cute! This is Monty, are you interested? He likes little ones and he's too old for me.

{{gwi:148581}}

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

We got about an inch of snow overnight. Not much but at least it's a little something covering the garden. It's supposed to be the coldest night here so far too. Winter has definitely arrived. I've been lying around all day trying to kick this cold. It's not a bad one and I think I should be on the down side of it by tomorrow. Brad started painting the office room ceiling today and I was going to start on the trim but didn't. We did make a quick trip to Home Depot and picked up a new ceiling light fixture.

I watched The Queen last night. Has anyone else seen it. The thing that I'll remember about it most is that I can't believe Tony Blair's home could be that messy in real life, lol.

I watched a little of the Golden Globes too. My take on it is the Hollywood set thinks they're a lot more important than they really are in the grand scheme of things. I did like seeing all of their crazy outfits though. Marian, I liked Helen Mirren too.

Ei, I loved your house when we were there for IU3 but all of the improvements you've done make it even better. And what a cool thing to do to your table. You are so creative! I could see the pictures in the link and think the windchimes would look so nice hanging inside a window with the sunlight shining through on all those pieces of stained glass. I'm not much of a chime fan. I do have one I made out of old silverware that I like. It makes a very soft tinkling sound that doesn't bother me. I do like hanging little pieces of art and mirrors around the garden though. I have an old lamp shade frame that I hung lots of small mirror squares from that hangs from the top of one of my garden arches. The mirrors reflect all over the back of the garden when the sun hits them.

Megan has taught Bella some sign language too. I often miss what she's trying to say with it though. A couple that I have learned that she used to use a lot are 'book' and 'puzzle'. I've been working on her with counting too but not colors yet. We're starting to plan her 2nd birthday party. It's only about 6 weeks away and she seems to be leaning towards a Blue's Clues theme.

T, those pictures do like the North Pole. Did you move and not tell us? They're very pretty though but look very cold!

Cindy, what a cutey Chloe is. Thanks for showing her to us.

Deanne, so that's what you've been up to. I've been feeling sorry for the birds too with all the ice. Your place looks like ours, crystalized. We had so many birds at the feeders today. We have the coolest woodpecker that comes every day this winter. He likes the peanuts we put out. I love the junco picture with the iced branches.

I'm having a sneezing jag here so I'm going to sign off. Stupid cold!

Oh, Marian stay warm and be careful walking around outside!

Eden

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

Cynthia, what a nice picture. I love how sweet old George is snuggled up in the pillows. Everyone looks very comfy. AHAOW is looking very regal. At my house one of the girl cats are always the sentinel at the window too.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    17 years ago

Cindy..that photo of Chloe..such a face! She is very sweet and I love the expression on her face.

Honey....
    What a cute football joke! I am going to have to tell my DH that one, although I ruin good jokes. Maybe I will let him read it. :-)

I find trowels in the yard, the way some people find clippers. Once I even found an old pair of eyeglasses I couldn't find. [g]

I agree with Cindy...Deanne...800 shots??!! LOL That is what I call dedication. I can't imagine how cold you must have been sitting out there that long.

Chelone..sounds like you didn't have to make the 6hrs of driving today?

Did I miss the part where T was on a trip to Santa land? Wow I love that second photo. Where is that, I want to go too! [g]

Michelle, I don't think I would leave the house if it was that cold..lol. LOL...a hunting blind...chuckling over that one. :-)

Marian...I have been watching the film of the ice problems there and what a mess. Is there any warm up in the forecast? I'm not quite sure I have seen that last episode..'Winter's End'. I will have to check out the guide and see if it is coming on again.

I love African Violets, Marian. I don't think they are tacky at all. I would grow them but I just don't seem to have a place for them and I never give them the right attention to keep them looking good. Photos?

Palaminos are so pretty. Isn't it awful that we all have to get old and not able to ride horses any more? *sigh*

Love that cozy scene at your house Cynthia! :-)

Gotta run...
    :-)

• Jerri_OKC
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Slide by post! :-O
    On the plus side, we never lost power. With 11 foster dogs and 7 cats, not many people would welcome us if we had to come calling!

Jerri

Slip sliding away, slip sliding away
    You know the nearer your destination, the more you slip sliding away

Whoah and I know a man, he came from my hometown
    He wore his passion for his woman like a thorny crown
    He said Dolores, I live in fear
    My love for you's so overpowering, I'm afraid that I will disappear

I know a woman, (who) became a wife
    These are the very words she uses to describe her life
    She said a good day ain't got no rain
    She said a bad day is when I lie in the bed
    And I think of things that might have been

And I know a father who had a son
    He longed to tell him all the reasons for the things he'd done
    He came a long way just to explain
    He kissed his boy as he lay sleeping
    Then he turned around and he headed home again

Whoah God only knows, God makes his plan
    The information's unavailable to the mortal man
    We're workin' our jobs, collect our pay
    Believe we're gliding down the highway, when in fact we're slip sliding away

Simon & Garfunkel

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Pm2, it isn't necessarily the african violets that are tacky ( although some of them are), I have many other species of houseplants. You can see most of them in my PT albums. The link to the first houseplant album is below. There are 2 more. :-)
    ( And many more of other 'themes').
    Marian

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

Oh T....your pictures are *stunning*!!!!!! I swear that one with the blue of the background (out your porch??..with the snow falling on the evergreens)...that should be in a movie. In fact it reminds me of the great scenery in White Christmas! I did not get to see that movie this year. I was a little down this afternoon, as I was looking for a pic to share with Cindy and came across a letter from my dad (I think he only wrote me a handful of them in the more than 20 years he was living in Tennessee). Anyway, he wrote the letter after I had just come home from staying there for a few weeks while he was recovering from his heart surgery. It was just such a lovely letter, chatty and sweet and then he mentioned how he wants me to come back as soon as I can, how proud he is of me (he thought I was smart daddy vision) and that "I was a very good person and he loved me very much." Though I was filled with love in reading it again - it hurts a lot too. It hurts cause I miss him still, sooo much and want him back here *so bad* and the hurt comes from knowing that no matter how much I wish it were so, he wont be back. While Ive wrapped my mind around that fact, I dont know if I will ever be able to wrap my heart around it. Anyway, your beautiful pictures really perked me up! Thank you! There is something about you T...did you sense that I needed some cheer? You always seem to know! :-)

Chloe, you are cute as a button! :-) And how clever of you to just primly stick out your tongue to show how well it highlights your lovely bow! :-) What an adorable dog Cindy! Actually, Ive always thought Malteses (Malties???...Multies?...LOL) were sweet, little dogs...at least everyone that I have ever met has been so. And you and Honey bring up a good point. I can see where a smaller dog would be more practical as we age. Of course I wont ever have to have another dog since Scout has promised me he will live to the age of 30 (in people years). By then I will be 80 and we can go together! :-) Chelone is right about small dogs being "all-dog" too. We had a little dog many years ago and he was something else. Of course Im sure Chloe is a well behaved young lady, but our Spike...my, my, my...he really *did* have a Napoleon complex. I dont know if thats natural for Pomeranians or what, but this little dog had no problems with self confidence! He would listen to me (when he knew I meant it) but I was the only one he obeyed. Perfect example of his big personality...one time Paul & I were walking him around the neighborhood. I should say right from the start that in Spikes favor, he wasnt the one who started it. Anyway, there were two big dogs sitting on their deck. There was a fence, but when the dogs stood on their hinds their top halves showed above the fence. Anyway, Spike was walking along minding his own business, when the two dogs started barking at him. Spike, never one to back away from a challenge, barked back in his fiercest yippy voice. I could hardly blame Spike, I myself heard them casting aspersions. In fact, I distinctly heard one dog call Spike "a little runt". That was it! Spike was barking furiously after the name calling - growling and spitting and showing all his teeth and *would not* be dragged away. Paul finally speaks up "Ei...pick him up...lets get outta here before someone sees!" I guess he was a little embarrassed at the sight of this 7 lb. dog telling two 60 lb. dogs what for. LOL! Heres our little "angel" playing ball in the snow:

{{gwi:148583}}

See what I mean? A real ruffian with the heart of an Alaskan Malamute! :-) While I could never really call him a "good dog"...he was a little cutie, very loveable (when he was "in the mood") and so entertaining...I *do* miss him! :-) BTW, you made me LOL about enjoying the improvements. I always thought it was silly that people would wait until they sell to make the improvements on their home. I always said you should make the improvements so that *you* can enjoy them, but here I am, eating my words! :-)

Hmm Bug...the starving thing. Seems everyone I know (including myself) is trying to control their diet....must be a "New Year" thing. I feel a bit guilty cause I broke down and got a Cappuccino today. I havent had one of those in a few weeks. Speaking of which, has anyone tried the Cinnamon Dolce Latte? YUMMM!!! Im really more a Cappuccino kinda girl, so I have them put the Cinnamon Dolce flavoring in my Cap. They even offer the Cinnamon Dolce in a sugar free version too!

Honey...you had me cracking up today...LOL! So its beige huh? I was wondering what my color should be! :-) Hmm...I dont think I look good in beige and was more hoping to wear Michelles navy blue or a nice royal blue. :-)

Cynthia...you cracked me up too with Katie the little matchmaker! :-) Great pic too...I tell you it is the Life of Riley for your pets! Scout will of course, never see your pictures. :-)

PM2...Ive been meaning to ask you...by any chance are you (or DH) Italian? I only ask because I believe it was you who said your husband use to say that thing about "hair on your chest" too; right? Youre the only one who has ever told me they have heard that saying before....LOL! BTW, you are probably right about the Chihuly being jelly fish....guess the gardener in me just saw "flowers"...LOL! Oh and yes...thats my baby as my screensaver! :-) Did you notice the Gumby and Pokey sitting on the top of the screen too? Childhood memories that always make me smile...you gotta have some of that stuff around. :-)

Kathy, I can just imagine how awesome the Chihuly pieces would look in a verdant vineyard. I think vineyards are awesome even on their own and then throw a Chihuly in....

Mary...how wonderful for the DH! It must have been an absolute thrill. I cant imagine watching Chihuly work...Oh...Im *green*! :-) Thanks for all your kind words...you really are a sweetheart...another one of the reasons I would love to make IU4. BTW, Im sorry, I forgot where you lived!!!! Of course you would know about great gardens to see in NY too! Any recommendations?

Deanne...Im really starting to feel guilty now (dont worry I wont ever use them without your permission)...but do you know I now have *18* of your bird pictures saved in my files? You really ought to think about exhibiting your work! Every time I see one of your pics I think "well, it cant get any better than this" and then you blow me away with another! Your ice capped chickadee is awesome! :-) P.S. Well, I see now from Marian that it is a junco, not a chickadee, but Im sticking with my "iced capped chickadee"..."ice capped junco" just sounds silly...LOL!

Okay, well the table....I hate to disillusion anyone...its so nice to be thought of as talented...LOL! But, it really is very easy to do. I seem to do better with things that dont require learned skills and things that have no "right or wrong" way to do them. The idea just popped in my head when I was looking at the table. I was thinking how I would need to hide some of the scratches and how was I going to do it? Then I remembered seeing once on some show where they decoupaged and painted a glass plate and how cool I thought it looked....so I though, why not on a table? Got nothing to lose. The paints are a bunch of paints I had left over from when I tried to learn "one stroke" and failed. I kept the paints cause I love color...obsessed with color really. I *think* they are an acrylic? Anyway, I used mostly the metallics and with non-metallic solid colors too so it wouldnt look too "glitzy". Then for good measured I rolled over the whole thing with some white pearlized paint to give it some more depth. After I was finished painting the whole thing I finished it with a layer of regular brown spray paint and that seemed to seal it just fine. I painted the legs of the table with a spray paint called "Hammered Copper". Anyway, it was a lot of fun...give it a go Chelone! I envision my next house to be filled with lots of glass items...LOL! Just kidding! But I do want to try more stuff later.

Marian I agree with PM2...I dont think African Violets are tacky at all! Personally, I would be thrilled to grow *any* flowering houseplant....heck...*any* houseplant at all! :-) Sorry you werent able to see the glass chimes...you would have loved them. I dont understand why it happened, but I noticed that when I tried the link from here I got a bunch of xs too! When I go to my "favorites" though, the pictures always show...weird! Your talk of the word Chelone...made me smile...thinking of our phone conversation! :-)

Well, time to get busy around here...so "After while Crocodiles!" Chelone you brought back another happy memory with your sign off earlier. When my son was little and would walk out the door to head for school I would always give him a kiss and say "See you later Alligator" and he would chime in with "After while Crocodile". :-) Ei

• dodgerdudette
    17 years ago

Keep thinking okay, Im going to make this quick and then I just keep going. So Im going to make this quick with a disclaimer that actual posting length may vary !

Clouds have come in this afternoon, which means some warmer temps at last. Prediction is for some rain but right now it is 40 so if it doesnt warm up some we may get one of our rare snowfalls.

Jerri, good to hear from you ! glad you survived all that nasty weather

What a cute , cute little thing that Chloe is ! Definitely not a poodle !

Thanks to Honey for the clarification and id on Jacque. That black framed art on the wall is part of my collection of orange crate labels. I have been collecting these since the late 70s . I collect originals and only California oranges . They are relatively inexpensive sometimes only 5 or 6 bucks but of course the frames raise the ante considerably ! Some of the labels are rare and into the 100 buck range, and I only buy one of those every few years when I am feeling flush ! In fact everything hanging on the wall in that room are my labels, some just in the "uni-frames" .

PM, hubby was not into pools or fantasy baseball, though a huge baseball fan. In our football pool we have to pick the winners with the point spread , so you may pick the right team to win but if they dont cover the spread you dont get that pick right. I picked San Diego this last weekend ..lost that one !! I also picked New Orleans but the point spread was 6 ½ as I recall and they did not win by that much so it was a loss for me. The baseball fantasy league is much more complicated , and I wont even try to explain how that works!
    Roses really need 6 hours of sun, but there are a few that do okay with less . Are there issues in your climate with winter hardiness ??

Cindy, I have no idea where I find the time to do anything . I guess it helps that the kids are adults , I get 5 weeks vaca a year , and I plan my time out to the nth degree. My garden however, is everything !

Okay Chelone , Ive been saying shell-own, but che-lon-e sounds much more poetic .
    And your right, "Elizabeth" was very un-tudor. Remember the masterpiece theater mini series with Glenda Jackson.? What ever happened to Glenda Jackson anyway ? She was great . "Women in Love " ," Bloody Sunday" etc. If I ever stop typing tonight I am going to watch my netflix film , the classic noir "Laura" with Gene Tierny, Robert Stack, George Sanders .. Cant go past my bedtime though..

Ahh T, how pretty !

Cynthia that pet napping pic is absolutely classic. If only we humans could relax like that!

Deanne ..nice to see ya! Our Juncos here have black heads. I love them , they are my fave birds after the blue jays.

Marian, kudos to you on your African Violets. Mine always get mealy-bug. I gave up. Maybe you will inspire me !

Okay, Im really going . I need to eat some dinner

Later Idylls !

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    17 years ago

Honey.... my husband liked that football joke. I did mess it up a little, but I got the punchline right at least. [g] Willows are pretty shallow rooted trees. One in the neighborhood came down in a storm awhile back.

Ei....I was so touched by your story of your Dad. It is so great that you have that letter and to have him approve of you and be proud of you....not every person has that from their father. :-) And you shouldn't be so quick to assign his view of you to just 'daddy vision'. Parents, it seems to me, sometimes see their kids clearer than anyone else in their lives will ever see them. Obviously he was correct that you are a good person and very smart. I can tell that and I hardly know you at all. [g] How long since you lost your Dad? Both my parents are gone....I lost my Mom last...almost 10 yrs ago. This year is the first time I have found myself being able to talk about her without so much pain. I still miss her very much. I have started trying to collect sayings that she used to use. She had a lot of sayings and I was starting to forget them, so I am now writing them down as I remember them. She especially was fond of sayings in other languages. And no, I am not Italian at all, but my Mom dated someone who was Italian and his mother would only speak Italian in front of her so she could talk about her without her knowing what she was saying..lol. So she learned a little Italian in defense. I can't remember all the sayings in Italian yet, but I did hear someone say 'Ferme la bush' the other day and remembered she used to say that when we were kids and always in a loving, funny way. Sometimes I think there is more of them still here with us than we think sometimes. The other day I looked down at my hand and I thought...oh my, my hands are starting to look like my Mom's as she got older. :-) Thanks for sharing. :-) Your Spike is adorable, Ei! Love his Disney Ball..lol.

I had to go back and look at that Chihuly..and I still see jelly fish. We have been watching the Blue Planet so I have sea creatures on the brain, I guess. lol My favorite so far is that white one in the Japanese Garden. Really holds my attention. No I didn't recognize Gumby and Pokey. They were so cute! I do remember watching them as a kid though. Yes, I know what you mean about having things around for memories. I was watching the end of the year review of who had died this year..and I just found myself tearing up. It feels like the world you grew up in changes and it feels like missing pieces. Like going back to an old neighborhood that doesn't have the same look to it any more. The things you have a history with start slipping away. This year it wasn't even celebrities that were my favorites either. Gerald Ford, Jack Palance who was so funny at the Oscars that year, doing one arm push ups, Ed Bradley from 60 minutes, Jane Wyatt from Father Knows Best..a show I watched and loved as a kid, June Allyson died!...she was one of my favorites. I enjoyed a lot of her movies. The Glenn Miller Story one of my favorites. Wasn't she in White Christmas? Shelly Winters and last year Ann Bancroft died. I enjoyed Anne Bancroft in a few films. 84 Charing Cross Road was on not too long ago. She was in that with Anthony Hopkins and Judi Dench. Actually it is sort of funny that story is about a writer and a book store who stumble into a lifelong correspondence. Another story that takes place in England some of the time.

Speaking of England...the discussion of Elizabeth had me trying to remember which movie it was that I liked the most. It seems I have seen a lot of Queen Elizabeth movies. I think my favorite has to be The Virgin Queen with Betty Davis. She also played her again in the Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex earlier than that. I looked it up and found a few more Elizabeth movies that I remembered..Sea Hawk..another one with Errol Flynn. Having trouble remembering the Glenda Jackson version but I am sure I must have seen it. I didn't like the recent one that came out. I guess that is the Cate Blanchett version. I do remember Mary Queen of Scots. Glenda Jackson was Queen Elizabeth and Vanessa Redgrave was Mary Queen of Scots. I was trying to remember if Judi Dench had done Queen Elizabeth, but I was mixing that up with Mrs Brown when she played Queen Victoria. I enjoyed that one very much too. They also had an interesting documentary on Queen Elizabeth on the History channel not too long ago.

Kathy....I have seen Laura a couple of times. Not that long ago either. I love old movies and here in Massachusetts, Turner Classic Movies has the most. I love your collection of orange crate labels. I did notice a collection on your walls, but thought it might be wine labels. I do understand the 'point spread' concept. I am sorry you lost picking the Chargers, Kathy...guess you should have asked me who was going to win that game. [g]

I definitely have 6 hours for the roses if I put them in my front yard. I won't fit more than 3 or 4 there though that is why I asked about the shade. I was hoping to put them somewhere with less sun so I could have more. :-) Yes I am in zone 6 and they do have to be hardy. They probably should be hardy to zone 5. I am partial to anything but red. Yellows, apricots and pinks with some whites, in that order. :-)

I have talked myself out and I am up past my bedtime, so Marian, tomorrow I am going to go see your links.

Hope I didn't miss anyone.

Goodnight all.. :-) pm2

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

Up and at em, girls! :-) I'm up early this a.m. to get ready for Florida. Packing to do and readying of the house for the house and Scout sitter.

PM2...I remember that Jack Palance thing from the Oscars too...that was great! He was a hoot! Yes, I was sad to hear about Ed Bradley, he was a wonderful human being. I still remember Helen Keller with Anne Bancroft that was a very moving film and left an indelible impression on me as a child. LOL on the BF's mother. Yes, my mom use to tell me stories about my dad's family sometimes speaking Italian in front of her so she wouldn't know what they were saying. She was a quick learner though! :-) In fact my mom's Italian cooking is better than any I've ever tasted and she is French and German! :-) I'm sorry you lost both of your parents. I know it's the way of life, but it sure isn't easy to accept; is it? My dad died just a little over a year ago. Mom is still with us, but she is 84 now. Thanks for understanding and for your comforting words.

Kathy...how cool about the orange crates and perfect for where you live! :-) I just bought some yummy organic California oranges from Whole Foods....delicious! Of course you know you should keep the whole collection together; right? I just heard that on the Antique Roadshow (about collections) they are most often worth the most money when you keep them together (rather then selling them separately, as some people think). Sorry I missed that in the pic before...I had to scroll up and check it out again (guess I was just focused on the begonias). I can't believe how many roses you have! So, if black spot is a problem and you grow some roses that get it and you are organic....how do you control it???? I'm always looking for some tips. I mostly grow the sturdy roses cause I have such a problem with black spot, but there are a few like my 'Angel Face' that I just can't give up, even if she does get black spot. I keep thinking *someone* out there knows the secret and they are just not sharing! :-) I too use alfalfa on my roses (the first feeding in late winter...along with a little epsom salt). It's getting harder to find the ground alfalfa here though and last year I had to use the pellets. They work just as well, but take a long time to "disappear". Can't contribute re "queen" movies....I haven't really seen any of them or if I did, I don't remember. I do like foreign movies though and movies with a lot of costume and love English movies...especially the funny ones. I think "Brassed Off" is still one of my favorites. Or the one where the woman was growing pot to raise money....can't remember the name of that one. Don't think I've ever seen Laura, but will have to check my Netflix too.

Just checked Cynthia's picture again, how restful and serene. I especially love the kitty in the window...something very moving about that.

Ooops...meant to tell Marian..."yes"...we are still going to stay close here while mom is still around. We are just looking to downsize. In a reality check we realized we have four bedrooms and 3 bathrooms in this house and only one bedroom and two bathrooms are used regularly. Well, one other bedroom is used when we have guests, but only then...we *never* use the livingroom and instead *always* hang out in the family room...even when we have company. I think I would like to have a less formal diningroom...maybe even just combine the diningroom and kitchen. But a big eat in kitchen is still important to me, since I still enjoy cooking. Anyway,I've come to see that Paul is right, we definitely don't need a house of this size anymore. My Arts & Crafts heart is thinking bungalow. We are even thinking of buying a lot and building a house that would suit our needs, but we will see. Even small lots around here have become pretty pricey.

Well best be going...have a great end of the week and week-end all! Ei

Anyway,

• triple_creek
    17 years ago

Well, the icing of the trees in the pictures was only the beginning. It just kept freezing on the trees.
    We left home about one Sat to go to Wyatts birthday party. As we left some of the tree branches were brushing the top of the car they were getting so heavy. The roads were clear and no problem. When we returned home around seven our very long driveway was nearly impassable. I had to get out and push some bent over dogwoods out of the way and the cedars were really dragging over the car. We arrived at the house to find no power and only just got it back at five pm last night.. We managed pretty well because of the woodstove. It kept the basement toasty and the upstairs tolerable and it has a top that allows cooking on it. Had to get water for drinking and cooking but used water dipped from the ponds to flush the toliets. Bob had to cut our way out the driveway to get to the store. It looks like a war zone around here with all the split and fallen trees. We could hear them breaking and crashing down all day Sunday. The hardest part was after it got dark until bedtime. Not enough light output from candles and lamps to read by. I tried to buy batteries for my boom box but the stores were sold out of D size.(the power outages were widespread) I finally borrowed a smaller radio from DS that took double a's. I was really happy to see the power back as the temps have dropped to close to zero at night now.

I only did a qick skim and will be back later when time allows. I need to get several things done in case we lose power again. With all the ice on the trees if a wind starts up it could happen. Later Norma

• cynthia_gw
    17 years ago

I want my office to look like Ei's. Mine is knee deep in files and papers and dog beds. Every few weeks I completely clear the surface of my desk and it lasts an hour if I leave the house for that amount of time.

Ei your house has always appealed to me. If you come in and clean the office every day I'll buy it. I would buy it just for the forget me nots you have there in spring actually. I guess it's probably wise for you to downsize, but it must be difficult with all of the work you've done there and all of the memories. You and Deanne both transformed your 1 stories to 2 didn't you??? But change is good :-) I have a pact with my neighbor out back that we are going to grow old right here. We love our old houses. My new fence has a gate going to her neighbor's yard so that she can still cut through the back to come visit me.

I'm glad that Kathy explained what was on the walls. I'd been scrutinizing trying to figure it out. Very artsy!

Deanne, that 'iced bird' photo is as always just beyond beautiful. I love the idea of you sitting out there in a duck blind!

Eden, the girl kitties are always the workers in my experience. Audreyhepburn Alloneword (I like your acronym :-) is allowed to go into the cellar a couple of times a day for mousing duties. She does a good clean up job as fall sets in, and then patrols the rest of the winter just in case. She found one last week and left it on the cellar step for me to discover as I was dashing down to get a can of pumpkin to send home with Fritz.

Darn cold weather finally came my way. It's 30F at the moment. Has been in 20s when I get up. But that is better than all of you with ice and snow! I guess I'll keep what I have. Norma, I remember winters like yours when I lived in colder places. It's beautiful but I don't miss it :-) I can look at your pictures and Deannes! And with temps like that i do hope you haven't lost power again. Smart to have a woodstove.

I was thinking of having a fire tonight, but I think I'll soak in the tub and read seed catalogues instead. Michelle, believe me 'seed starting interests me VERY much.' But I've been working to control myself the last few years as I end up with too MUCH. I have 4 light tables and 16 shelves, plus lights under the workbench. I used to grow for my entire community in NH. It's an addiction! I am more of a 'grower' than a 'gardener' and I'd like (ha, need!) to become better at design. Anyway, my gardens are full here and I need to start removing things and being very careful about what I add. Unlike some lucky people in Iowa I don't have unlimited space :-) And I already have too much to keep up with.

Hi Mary! Hi GB!

• babs_clare
    17 years ago

Sorry to be so boring but every time I get here I get interrupted and end up deleting the posts I start...I just wanted to say hi since this is afterall our 3ooth idyll and having been an idyll since day one("Idle Chatter"!) I'm kind of attached to y'all even when I'm invisible; )

Here's to 300 more!(to be honest I think we actually reached 300 a while ago-with a couple duplicated thread numbers)

Deanne-that icey bird is great! Did you grow an icicle on the end of your nose?: )

Keep having fun-wish I were here!

~Babs

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

Cynthia, that's the problem, I have space but not sure I have the energy ;o) I don't know what you are talking about with design, I love your garden. I just think it is so cool that you have such beautiful linens for your pets to lounge on. It looks so comfy.

Yes Marian it was that much below zero. Today is better starting out at 9 and reaching 27.

Norma, I hate to see ice damage to trees. What an experience this has been for you. Luckily you had heat and could cook. We have a propane heater in out kitchen that could keep much of the main floor fairly comfy. We do actually have a generator for the whole farm as well. We have a Coleman lantern that gave enough light to play board games by the last time we were without power.

Ei, have a great time in FL and maybe think about us frozen Idylls while your there ;o)

Maybe Doug could take a picture of Deanne sitting in her duck blind. I'd love to see that!

Babs, boring - never!

Speaking of roses, I've been perusing the David Austin catalog. Such pretty pictures. I may have to add a few more. If Kathy can have 60, so can I ;o)

Michelle

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Dear Chloe,

It's me you want. Since seeing your picture I can't get you out of my mind.

{{gwi:148585}}

Love,

The Nickster

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

The car's doors thawed out today...so I plan on going to town tomorrow. I will do a little more restocking of the larder while there, as there is a possibility of snow this weekend! At least the frigid temps have moderated, but definitely no heat wave. ( We did't get down to zero last night....only 12F ).

Norma! What an experience! I'm glad you are okay, and I hope you remain that way.

Re: african violets...I see that I do not have any pics of mine in my PT albums. Maybe I can add some so I can post them here. Kathy, so far I have never found mealy bugs on mine ( hope I haven't jinxed them! ), but they do get pretty bedraggled looking, with droopy leaves. If I would fertilize them it may help, but I am the world's worse procrastinator at fertilizing! Washing the dust off of the leaves would propably help also...another chore I never do!
    So you see, they survive dispite me!

Ei, you are one of the most sensitive gals I have ever 'met'. I mean that in a good way, you know. You are so blessed to have had such a wonderful relationship with your father. I never had that. Mine was a kind man, but not a really 'fatherly' type. But then, he was around 53 when I was born, so was more of a grandfatherly figure. I don't recall any real closeness between us, although he did take us fishing with him. We also were the farm hands.
    He liked to talk about a lot of things , but I'm afraid I never paid enough attention to what he was saying...:-(
    I was married at 17, and not around too much after that. Nolon and Tim and I lived on their ( my folk's) farm, in the tenet house, from the time Tim was born until after daddy passed away. He would come over and play 3-handed pinochle with us. He always won...and would chuckle and ask: "Who won that game?".
    If I let myself remember, I could think of so many things! Sometimes I do that when I can't get to sleep at night. Reading about other people's memories helps jog mine too.
    I can't seem to find when you are/were leaving for Florida, so if you are still 'here' I hope you have a great trip and a good time.
    I guess you all know that Jack Palance played the grandfather on "Winter's End".
    Our last house in Idaho ( that Nolon built for us )was four bedroom and 2 1/2 bath. It had 3000 square feet of living space. We only lived in it 8 months. Our present home is only half that size, but has 3 bedrooms and 2 baths. It is enough for us. Our livingroom and diningroom are an L shape, with the diningroom the smaller part of the L. The kitchen area has a breakfast nook area.
    A bungalow would be nice, Ei.

My mother passed away in 1976, from cancer. I was 43. I was not one to grieve...but did often think: " I need to tell mama this", then I'd realize she was no longer here. We moved to Arkansas a little over a year later. The combination of her passing and my leaving my home state, were probably harder on me than I realized....along with my chronic ailments. No wonder I have been a basket case! LOL

Speaking of the Queen...my oldest half-sister was always engrossed with her, and the entire monarchy thing. I was never that interested. I have never been much of a history buff, either....more of a 'here and now' person.

Babs, don't delete your posts! You are never 'boring' !

Michelle, do be careful if you must use that propane heater. They can easily be deadly!
    I love the idea of Doug taking a picture of Deanne in her 'duck blind'.

There is a slight possibility of snow flurries tonight.

Marian

• dodgerdudette
    17 years ago

Wednesday evening and all is well. But its cold (again/still) I dont want to even speculate what my utility bill is going to look like.
    Last night I put in the "Laura" dvd and noticed immediately that I was looking as Dana Andrews and Clifton Webb, not Robert Stack and George Sanders . After a little research I discovered I was juxtaposing the cast from a TV movie that was made in the 60s starring Lee Radziwill in the title roll. I looked up some info on it and read that the tape has been lost and is therefore un-viewable for good. Kind of interesting.

PM, my best yellows are Molineaux,(Austin) Sun Flare (floribunda) Michelangelo (hybrid tea/romantica) . Molineaux and Sun flare in particular are extremely disease resistant. Im not very knowledgeable about cold hardiness, but if you go lurk around on the rose forums there are lots of people who post there from colder zones .When I have time this weekend I will try to find some pics.

Ei, I think Florida may be the place to be right now ! Good thing you bought oranges this week because we are hearing citrus and avocado prices will go through the rrof because so much of the crop has been lost. Avocados in particular are pretty unforgiving and expensive cold weather or not. I dont even try to control the blackspot, some years are bad and others not so. The University of Calif has a recipe for a non-toxic spray that consists of horticultural oil and baking soda. I have found over the years that my blackspot problems tend to be during spring only, the roses grow new leaves which are fine through the summer (we have no rain here in summer). Last year was a very wet spring and the blackspot was really bad. I just try to be vigilant about cleaning up and disposing of fallen leaves, and even stripping off foliage in severe cases.
    The pot growing movie was "Saving Grace" Werent those two elderly ladies with the eyeball glasses hysterical ? Ill look up "Brassed Off "

Norma hope all goes well for you. Sounds like you had a taste of life on the frontier for awhile.

Yes Michelle ..release your inner rose-a-holic. ! I think you have to be careful about cold temps with some of those Austins though ! I think I have about a dozen Austins right now.

Marian, thanks for posting that link to your photo albums ! I had such fun viewing you have some great begonias !

Okay, I having an artichoke for dinner and its going to be a reading night..stay warm and cozy everyone

Kathy in Napa

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Kathy, I had an avocado sandwich for my evening meal...the whole avocado! LOL. I love them, but seldom buy one.
    Surely you haven't viewed all 40-some of my albums already?

LOL, Sue...that pic and caption is a hoot!

Are the movies you all are talking about on VHS ? Or DVDs ?
    Do you rent them ? ( Oh, I see that Kathy mentioned DVD ).
    I guess I need to get a DVD player. I hesitate to rent, espacially in the winter, because I may not be able to return them in time.

Marian

• dodgerdudette
    17 years ago

Marian, I now subcribe to Netflix, and it's extremely convenient. When I first signed up I did the 10 dollar a month deal, you get a movie in the mail and the envelope it comes in converts to the return envelope.As soon as they get the movie you send back they send you a new one. You maintain a list on the website. They have a huge selection in every genre. I've switched to a plan where I get 2 movies at a time for the winter, and I'll switch back when baseball season starts.

LOL, I had an avocado sandwich for lunch today !!

Kathy in Napa

• gardeningmary
    17 years ago

Hi everyone

The ice storm knocked out cable for a while so the old 'puter was down but we kept our power.

Norma - glad yours was returned. Your wood stove sounds a life saver.

Eden - I LOVED the Queen. Helen Mirren was amazing - at times I couldn't be sure if it were her or the actual queen. She even had the walk down perfectly. LOL - I too noticed the messy rooms at the Blair's and found them rather comforting!

T - fantastic shots! They would make great CHristmas cards for next year! I have never seen such a herd in one place before. How will you be keeping them out of your new curvy beds?

Deanne - did I read that you spent 13 hours in the blind? The icy Junco is a wonderful photo.

Love all the other pictures, cozy cats, cute Chloe, house plants, bells, a lone daffodil and that handsome fella Nick.

I've read too quickly and missed many so greetings to you all. A busy day is coming to an end and I'm heading for bed.

Nite all

Mary

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

I'm back!
    Spent the morning cleaning up this pigpen a bit, then finished knitting a cute baby hat (big though, 6-9 month size.)
    {{gwi:148586}}
    Some other things I made while DB was here and before that too.
    {{gwi:148587}}

After lunch I managed to paint one wall of the family room so that DH could mount the rug/wall hanging he got me for Christmas. That of course turned into quite a project. Later I'll paint the rest of the walls in the room, after company returns to Toronto.
    {{gwi:148588}}

After the paint job I started knitting some more- the blanket that matches the hat I already made. It is a tricky kind of knitting I've never done before, called Entrelac. See below for a glimpse. Google has many other sites as well. I am working with ever so small 3mm needles, so it goes slowly, but I love the materials I'm working with.

Well Sue, you really surprised me with your super duper photo of the Nickster! I thought you said you didn't have an ounce of the romantic in you? Well, maybe not, but Nick does! All those sneaky preparations for the party hint at the romantic too though....

Lots to say to Ei and Cynthia and Michelle and Deanne and EVERYBODY! Time is short and I am tired. TO BED!

'bug

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    17 years ago

Ei...looks like I missed you before your Florida trip. You are right...it is the way of life and no it is not easy to accept at all. Just over a year was very recent Ei, and I am very sorry for your loss. It does get easier, it just takes time. I am glad you are so busy, I think that helps. It sounds like your Mom and my Mom would have got along fine. ;-)

I had forgotten about that movie The Miracle Worker with Ann Bancroft, another great movie. I haven't seen 'Brassed Off', I will have to look for it.

I am having trouble finding any ground alfalfa in my neck of the woods too. The only thing I have seen is alfalfa cubes for rabbit food in pet supply stores. Which sturdy roses are you using Ei?

Kathy...So, you did get to see the Laura DVD? It just had a different cast then you remembered? I never rent DVDs anymore, but get that DVR box from the cable company. I use that a lot. Have you ever seen the Alfred Hitchcock movie Shadow of a Doubt, with Teresa Wright and Joseph Cotten? It was filmed in Santa Rosa California and I always enjoy looking at the background sceneries. It was filmed in 1943, so it is fun to look at what Santa Rosa looked like then. When you were talking about the old buildings in California it reminded me of that. Although I don't remember seeing the type of historical California buildings that you mentioned. I'll have to watch it again..lol I must have seen that film about 4 times. I have no idea why it fascinates me. I had heard that expression film 'noir' and thought I understood what it meant, but thought I would look it up to see if I could find a list of films. Sure enough Wikipedia had a list. I found that I am a big fan of the classic period as well. I have seen a lot of them. I just happen to love that era of movie making in the 40s and 50s.

Kathy, I found the David Austin website and see the Molineux. It is very pretty and sounds like it has all the characteristics I am looking for including a manageable size that I forgot to mention. I haven't yet found the hardiness info and was surprised that the David Austin site doesn't include that. BUT, I did find a few people on Dave's Garden who have it and someone in Massachusetts and someone in Maine grow it, so I think I will be able to grow it here. Don't worry about figuring out the hardiness at all. I was just interested to know which were your favorites and most disease resistant. I found photos on the David Austin site. Now a new website to look over...scrumptious photos! :-) Haven't had a chance to look up the others yet.

That's really awful about the citrus and avocado crops. How horrible for the growers. We use guacamole on chicken casa dias ..the only time we use avocado. Clementines and Red grapefruit fans here.

cynthia...has your clivia opened it's buds yet? Photo?

jerri...I loved Simon and Garfunkel. :-)

marian...I also had that Sedona coleus. You have a large deck with containers..do you have to take them all in every year? I thought the fall photo of your hill was very pretty. Great color. Really nice houseplant collection. Your begonias and is that a Norfolk Pine? I have a croton too that my son gave me for Christmas last year. I have had a small hoya for 2 years and hasn't bloomed. I can't give it any more light..is there a trick to getting them to bloom? I love your Viburnums too...especially the fall color of the 'Oneida' and the plicatum tomentosum...I just love that horizontal branch pattern. Some luscious Iris too...Lingering Love..so pretty!

I couldn't find the african violets marian, what did I miss? I looked through all the houseplant albums I think.
    [Ahhhh, I see you mention..no AV photos....lol]

marian...I agree, reading other people's memories jogs mine too. I am surprised that you grew up working the farm and are still interested in gardening. Did you enjoy working on the farm as a kid? You were married young and you have been married a long time. I'm also sorry that you lost your mother so young. Your chronic illnesses probably have more to do with it than you realize, marian. Life is a lot harder to cope with when you are ill. :-)

Norma....what an awful time of it you are having. I hope there is not too much damage on your property.

T....I just figured out those photos were from around your property! You are a lucky person! Really gorgeous and I think the second photo would make a perfect Christmas card.

Babs...I didn't know you were an original Idyll. Saying hi! :-)
    Mary...saying hi to you too. :-)

I second Michelle's request for a photo of Deanne in her duck blind. [g]

Vtskiers....What a pose the Nickster presented! I think dog's are so expressive.

'Bug...I am amazed at how productive some of you are on this list..you already have the wall painted and the rug up? Plus you have finished your knitting projects..I am impressed. I think you do absolutely gorgeous work! Where did you learn to knit so beautifully? I love that white cap. I also loved the hat in that Entrelac link. Your new rug on newly painted wall just fits that space. Great job!

Nothing at all new here...sun was out yesterday and in the yard, it was the first time I found the ground frozen.

Have a good day.. :-)
    pm2

• chelone
    17 years ago

Yesterday was my "driving day", though not 6 hours, mercifully. I refilled prescriptions, packed up urostomy supplies, a few "goodies" for Mum, and organized bills that had come in, and NH questionnaire/forms. It was really COLD (for us), barely cracking 18 degrees all day long.

My brother was much more pleasant, back to his usual dry homored self. I suspect the past 9 days have given him pause to reflect on the division of duties and responsibilities. He had just returned from visiting a day care facility. I asked if he'd hired a bath lady. NO. I urged him to do so and we ran through a couple of ways he could schedule it, to maximize his work time and minimize Mum's "alone" time. He seemed receptive. He was also receptive about having me deliver a nice chair and small side table for Mum's room. I will do that next week and try to come up with a few "pretty" touches for her, too.

Mum recognized my face instantly, but she didn't remember I am her daughter, asking me how my "parents are?". Strangely, it didn't really bother me. I just smiled, told her my father had been dead for 13 years and that SHE was my mother! She looked surprised, then remarked "that makes sense, dear". I told her it was a good thing I was there to remind her and she laughed, agreeing wholeheartedly. I think "dumping" her on my brother was the way to really drive home the point that she needs LTC, heretofore, he's not really "gotten" it because he didn't HAVE to "get it". Today, I have to drop her note and get to the storage facility to find an appropriate chair and then determine the palette for the "pretties"... (panels for the French doors) and a nice, squishy pillow for the chair.

I stopped by a fabric store not far from my brother's home. It was fun to see pretty fabrics and entertain notions about bedroom window treatments. I bought a nice book on window treatments, too. I have rather a nice library going now. :)

'bug your knitting projects are wonderful! I particularly like the color combination on the "blankie". And the Entrelac technique is very cool. My boss is a devoted and very experienced knitter, I will have to ask her if she's ever tried it.

I love African violets. They remind me of little sugared decorations on pretty cakes. Not tacky, at all! but don't they just fit perfectly with my neo-Victorian sensibility?

We watched "The Devil Wears Prada" last night. It is FABULOUS, we will be recycling some of the lines for a long time to come. Meryl Streep was terrific. Definitely worth a rent. Marian, we rent DVDs at a local place. Too often, though, I find the selection sort of unappealing, there doesn't seem to be a lot that really INTERESTS me. I have the BBC's "Elizabeth R" (Glenda Jackson) and "The Six Wives of Henry VIII" (Keith Mitchell) on DVD. And I loved "Mrs. Brown"! Helen Mirren is, like Judy Dench, remarkably versatile... when I watch them act I am convinced by their portrayals. Glenda Jackson became a member of the Labor Party and represented Highgate in Parliament. The special features disc in the "ER" series has a fascinating interview with her.

The animal pictures evince the level of comfort they enjoy in our homes. I think Nick and Chloe would make a handsome couple. And I have to say, I rather like small dogs. We had a Spitz cross all the time I was a kid (she lived to be 20), she was "smart as a whip" and unfailingly gentle. She had the typical GSD coat color and her name was Susie, and she, or part of her curlie tail, is present in virtually all family pictures. To this day I find furry dogs with curlie tails appealing. But that means little, since I hate dogs.

Palominos were the horses of the Spanish queens. Anyone remember Goldrush, the palomino that Rex Trailer used to ride on the Boston area show, "Boomtown"? ;)

Babs. will never be boring.
    Ei. will have fun in Florida.
    LOL about Chihuly jellyfish!

Norma, we have a few oil lamps here; including a lovely brass Aladdin that was my Christmas present in 1999. It's nice to be able to read comfortably when the power is out! I hope your yard isn't too altered by the weight of the ice and damaging winds. On my ride to my brother's yesterday I drove through the heart of the southern NH ice storm. It was pretty (glass trees), but cold, dark houses are no fun.

I have to get my chores done now.

• triple_creek
    17 years ago

Good Morning Idylls, The power has stayed on and we are supposed to warm a bit today.
    I cleaned and did laundry yesterday just in case. Today I need to do the town thing.
    I still have that back corner of the basement to finish and an Amos and Andy closet. LOL. Anyone remember who they were?

Fun pictures posted by everyone. Sue, Nicks expression is priceless.

I need to do some more work with the light plants. Had to move everything to available windows while the power was out.

Bug, your grandbaby is going to be well dressed. Your knitting is very nice. I like your choices because they are not frilly. I am not a frilly person.

Will try to respond to more people later, but since this is an morning post. I really need to get moving. Norma

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

Dear Nick (and Katie) --

if this is doggiematch.com I have to confess that Nick is more my size -- those BIG DAWGS frighten me -- I was terrorized as a tiny puppy in training class (we were training class dropouts consequently) by Great Danes, bad boy German Shepherds and even Mastiffs who wanted to step on me or eat me! So now I just try to get in the first bark & grrrr & let my Mommy deal with those big boys. So, Katie, Monty is not a good match for me.

But -- Nick -- after we chat some more, maybe we can hook up in Philadelphia when our parents are at IU if that's where it is -- altho I've heard long distance relationships are hard to keep up!!

Looking forward to seeing more of you, Nickster.

--Chloe

• veer
    12 years ago

bluebells, cuckoos, new grass

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm